Tamara's Trials - Chapter 46 "Miss Smart, Director"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Forty Six

 

"Miss Smart, Director"

 

Friday 13th March (Continued)

Tammy had a few minutes to spare so retreated to the safety of the Sixth Form Common Room until the bell for lunch sounded; James Hunter found her in there.

Mr Wright's just told us to go to the main hall after lunch to perform Macbeth for our visitors!"

"I've just been told myself."

"You weren't there, and Mr Wright became quite agitated when no-one knew if you'd be back, where were you?"

"I was in a meeting."

"Again?"

"Yeah, it's awful having meetings."

"Never mind that Tammy, we're just not ready."

"I think we can do it, but the guests have apparently been told that it's a raw production."

"What does that mean?"

"Anything you like, but it won't be polished, for sure. Treat it as another full rehearsal."

"But on the main hall's stage? It's not the same as in a classroom."

"Get used to it, how does it go? Oh yes, 'All the world's a stage'; Shakespeare wrote that too. Life sometimes requires you to stand up and be noticed."

"That's alright for you, you've done it before."

"I still had a first time, a début, on the stage. John's the same. At least your début won't be in a theatre with four hundred in the audience."

"Yeah. Let's grab some lunch, not that I'm very hungry now."

Once in the refectory, Mr Wright's English class sat together to work through the play whilst they ate. Many had retrieved copies of the script from their lockers or rooms so were concentrating more on that than their lunch.

"Do you think we can use the script on the stage?"

"Probably, but you do know we've only two weeks before the actual performance, and that's in front of the whole school as well as any visitors."

If Tammy had wanted to ruin their lunch she probably couldn't have chosen better words; silence fell with just the rustle of an occasional page being turned.

Tammy managed to clear her plate but had deliberately kept her lunch simple. As everyone dispersed she went to the ladies loo to redo her make-up, taking close to fifteen minutes. She met her English Literature tutor as she came out of the female staff toilet.

"You will not go on that stage looking like a tart!"

"Mr Wright, apart from taking offence at your remark it seems clear that you have little actual theatre experience. Under the lighting pale skin looks anaemic, it's necessary to use make-up if only to look normal."

"You still look like a tart, go clean it off now."

"With respect Sir, no."

"Right, I've been expecting insolence from you. You can expect to be suspended for that."

Tammy smiled. Stood behind the teacher was John Hibbert, Dave Brown and the Headmaster, recently returned from a conversation. John was also wearing a smile, having heard some good news.

"What are you so pleased about, Tart?"

"Wright! My office, now!" The teacher walked away whilst the Head turned now to Tammy.

"Miss Smart, can you handle the play? I'll be along shortly, this won't take long. Mr Hibbert, could you please write up a statement about what you heard and saw? Use a PC in the secretary's office please."

"Certainly, Sir", the joint St Andrew's School Ambassadors said in unison.

Tammy went to the main hall to let the players know there would be a delay whilst John did something for the Head.

"Also, Mr Wright is now unavailable so the Head has asked me to direct this play."

That grabbed their attention, but no-one argued. "Please go to the green room and get yourselves ready. I'll join you shortly."

John was back with them after ten minutes looking pleased with himself, he took Tammy to one side.

"I couldn't believe what I was hearing!"

"From Mr Wright?"

"No, about the Ambassadorship, Dad will be really proud. When were you told?"

"On Monday, at that staff meeting."

"You never told me?"

"It was down to the Head to tell you at an appropriate time. Anyway, did you write the statement?"

"Yes, and left Mrs Adams' office just as Mr Wright was heading out of the door. I don't think we'll see him again."

"I wouldn't have thought the Head could have sacked him for that?"

"No, but he shouted 'Sod you, I resign, I did not expect to be a teacher in a school where faggots are publicly rewarded!' I could hear it clearly."

"No wonder he's upset, what do we do now?"

"Don't know, but it's Friday afternoon so let's not worry. You've got a play to put on, Miss."

Tammy had a sudden thought and walked as quickly as she could to retrieve a pair of heels from her locker, swapping the flats she normally wore around school. She clicked as she walked along the polished corridors back to the hall.

The audience were gathering and Tammy noted that all of the remaining sixth formers, plus a good number of staff, in addition to the guests, were seated. In total around eighty were there. Tammy walked up onto the stage, her heels making the only noise necessary to quieten the hall.

"Good afternoon everyone. The Headmaster has just asked me to direct our rather raw production of Macbeth. We weren't expecting to present this today but I hope we can give it some justice."

There was polite applause as Tammy left the stage. Amazingly the three witches were ready, so it began.

As Tammy had suggested, this was not a polished production, but it wasn't a bad am-dram production either. One or two of the players stumbled over words but with the aid of John and Tammy, in the wings when not needed, they managed without using a script on the stage.

Having said that, all the actors were relieved when the play ended. Tammy walked to the front of the stage, noting that the audience had grown somewhat.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Upper Sixth English Lit production of Macbeth. Could all the actors please join me on stage?"

The applause was more than just polite, then the Head joined Tammy on the stage.

"Could I ask some special appreciation for Miss Smart who was asked at very short notice to stand in for the tutor."

Tammy was rather embarrassed at the applause directed at her.

"Thank you Sir, I just did what was necessary."

"No Miss Smart, you excelled."

***

As Tammy walked down from the stage she was surrounded by the guests and many of the staff who wanted to thank her personally for standing in. What she didn't know was that her father had been in the hall, as well as Joan and most of the non-teaching staff. Then she spotted Tanya.

"What are you doing here?"

"Mrs Small thought it would be useful for me to have a tour, I don't do anything on a Friday afternoon usually so this was ideal."

"How long have you been here?"

"Long enough to see it all! Look, it wasn't bad."

"Not bad? Ha! I'd have had you up there as one of the witches if I'd known."

Joan coughed. This conversation was gaining an audience. The Head stepped forward.

"Miss Smith, could you come with me? Mr Brown would also like to speak with you."

"Oh, okay. See you later, Tammy."

Tammy realised what was going on and wanted to say something, but kept her mouth shut.

The end of the school day was just over twenty minutes away and although Tammy had her car on site, her passenger was now in a meeting with Tanya, who had clearly been misled. She escaped to the common room to take her shoes off, having first gone to the loo to tone down her make-up.

"I thought you could walk all day in those?"

The question had come from Froggett, one of the lower sixth.

"I think you should try it, standing and walking are tolerable but I can't sit in a low chair without taking them off."

"How high are those?"

"Three inches, you'd hit your head on the doorway if you wore three inch heels!"

Froggett went red and walked, hurriedly, away. The phone rang in the corner, one of the other boys answered it.

"Tammy, you're needed by the Head."

"Not again!"

By now words had got around most of the school about the English teacher's fracas with Tammy and her standing in the school had gone up as a result. The question remained, however, who was going to take his classes on Monday?

Waiting for her in the entrance hall of the school was Dave Brown, Tanya and her father. Tanya did not look happy and wanted to say something but Tammy shook her head.

"Whatever you've just been told, keep to yourself, for your own safety. Now, who am I driving?"

Joan and Angela arrived, it seemed simple enough when Richard explained it.

"I'll take Tanya to her home, Tammy you take everyone else."

"Okay Dad."

Angela didn't seem sure. "Will I be safe? I'd rather go with you, dad?"

"Sorry, Angela, but Tanya might have some questions for me, plus Mr Brown would like to talk to you as soon as possible."

Tanya's facial expression changed and a smile, or was it a smirk, appeared.

"Come on everybody, let's go."

***

Angela seemed relatively happy when she finally emerged from the study. Her first port of call was Tammy's room.

"I just got off the phone from Suzie. I understand a bit more now."

"Okay, but don't tell me."

"Yes, boss."

Tammy was sat on her bed in a towelling gown, fresh out of the shower. A frock was hanging ready.

"What are you dressing up for?"

"Elsie has decided to have a dinner for the old boys who are staying tonight and we're invited. The Head and Mrs McIntosh will be there too, hadn't you better get in that shower?!"

Angela muttered about not knowing what to wear as she closed the door. Joan was next in her room, Tammy had managed to get underwear on by this stage.

"I've just my chat with Dave Brown."

"He's not a difficult one to talk to."

"True Tammy, but he spots faults and tells you what they are."

"In my case, that was a long list. Did he show you how to use the special phone?"

"Yes, but he said it was only to notify Suzie or Jenny if there was a problem involving us, or if the phone was ringing and no-one else went to answer it."

"So you don't get the full responsibility, what do you think of that?"

"Better, I don't want all this cloak and dagger stuff. Now, what are you wearing?"

Tammy pointed at the maxi black dress with a square cut bodice and a long slit up the side.

"Good idea, sexy but not over the top. I'll suggest Angela wears black too. Have you heard from Tanya yet?"

"Not unless she's messaged me whilst I was in the shower?" Tammy reached over to her phone but it was devoid of new messages. "No."

"Okay," Joan checked the time, "we have an hour before dinner, just enough time. We'll use the buggies to get over there, but can you run Mr Brown over as soon as he's ready then come back for Angela?"

"Sure."

Sat on her desk was some of the mail that had arrived over the past two days. Tammy had been exhausted after her time with Dave Brown and had left most of it alone. One item, in an NHS envelope, was an appointment from Dr Jill Davison on Friday the twentieth of March. Another was notification of a court hearing on the following Monday, the twenty third, in Wick. It was a summons to John McPherson's trial.

She wanted to speak to her father about this but he was getting himself ready and was due to spend a few minutes with Dave Brown.

Several packages had also been delivered, which she'd secreted away out of sight, but these needed some wrapping paper or gift bags to finish the job. Fortunately she was due in town the following day, unfortunately Sarah had begged her to spend as much time as possible in the shop.

As expected, Joan and Angela had attracted some begging letters and a few feeble attempts at blackmail once the Police Scotland settlement had been made public in the Sheriff's Fatal Accident Inquiry Report. Given that the report had also included references to Tammy, this had generated hate mail. Plainly Dave Brown had been concerned but Richard had said he had this in hand, it was relatively easy to spot the dodgy mail by the way it was addressed.

Shortly after six Leanne knocked on Tammy's door.

"Excuse me Miss Tammy, but Mr Brown is ready to go over to Madam McPherson's house."

"Thank you Leanne, I'll be down shortly."

Tammy checked herself in the mirror, added a spray of Chanel No.1 and picked up a black bolero jacket. She put a bag over her shoulder, black of course, and declared herself ready. She walked down to meet Dave Brown in the hallway.

"My, my, what a wonderful sight."

"Thank you. Shall we go?"

He took her arm, "lead on."

Tammy took a set of keys off a hook by the scullery door. This door had recently been modified and was now opened by a coded lock. The golf buggies were also now held on a heavy chain when not in use, Tammy was careful not to scratch her nails whilst unhooking the chain. She drove past the barn to a side gate and swung this open before driving through.

"Don't you lock that one?"

"We will do, when the last buggy comes through it. The gate onto the road in front of our house is now locked at six unless someone is going out and there is a separate gate to the rear that's locked during the day when vehicles aren't being moved. We couldn't do any more without major inconvenience, I also think it mustn't look like overkill."

"Yes, you might make yourself a target by showing too much security."

"Plus the postman wouldn't reach the door!"

They pulled up at the front of the house so Tammy's passenger could disembark.

"Thank you Tammy, I'm sure I'll see you shortly but I'll yell if I need rescuing from Elsie."

"Understood, I'll make sure the batphone is nearby."

Thomas was already holding the front door open and was not impressed with Tammy's delays, she left as soon as Dave Brown reached the butler.

By half-past six they were all in Elsie's lounge. The two industrialist old boys had left the school shortly after three in order to catch a flight from Wick Airport so just Dave and Jonathan were left from the visitors but Tammy was surprised to see John Hibbert there.

"It was strange, the Head asked me if I would like to be a guest. I've been here before, so I knew where it was and what I was letting myself in for."

"How was your chat with Dave Brown?"

"You, of all people, should know that was a private conversation."

"Understood. Have you heard from Tanya?"

"Yes, I didn't know in advance that she was going to be in the school today."

"Neither did I, but is she okay?"

"A little overwhelmed I think, but I'm really pleased she's put in for the job as that will help us out tremendously. What about your flat, I mean we were going to ask if we could have it?"

"Don't worry, I'm sure something will come up but it's not ready yet anyway."

Thomas called them to dinner, the seating arrangements had everyone mixed up; another of Elsie's quirks.

Tammy was careful with the wine and Angela decided to avoid it entirely whilst John seemed to have a higher tolerance to the alcohol. Once the main meal was out of the way Elsie asked for everyone's attention.

"I understand that we have our 2015 St Andrews School Ambassadors with us. I'd like to propose a toast to our Ambassadors."

"Our Ambassadors!"

Later Tammy spoke to Elsie.

"Whose idea was the school ambassador, Elsie?"

"Why would you ask that question?"

"Because it came out of the blue and apparently wasn't even mentioned at the last governors' meeting. Given that the staff meeting was at short notice, not many governors would have been nearby so that reduces it to the staff governors, plus you, Dad and Harry. As Dad wouldn't do such a thing, and the Head didn't nab the idea as his own, that means it was probably you or Harry Davison?"

"I think your logic is flawed, Tammy, but yes it was my idea."

"Let me guess, it was just before the staff meeting?"

"Yes, and it served a purpose but the award is genuine; both of you have put effort into your work, over and above what is expected. We'll gloss over any indiscretions, though."

Tammy giggled.

Tammy learnt a little more about Messrs Brown and Meach, but it was mostly about events during their school days. John seemed to be comfortable and mixed freely whereas Angela was still not fully confident, even amongst people she knew well.

By eleven they all dispersed but one of the ground staff assisted by driving Mr Brown, ruling out the need to make two trips.

"Dad, there's something we need to talk about."

"Tomorrow, Tammy, tomorrow."

up
396 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

subtlle but exciting

Great the wonderful Elsie is organising everyone again, Angela although not so comfortable seems to blossoming a little, or am I presuming too much! I think the boy commenting on our girls heels is a little too interested!!!!!! could there be another one in St. Andrews? Oooooh, another trial and court appearance, I don't think that one is going to be nice. Thank you Shiraz, I was lurking on here catching up with everything and up pops another lovely installment of this wonderful serial

Another Action-Packed Chapter

joannebarbarella's picture

Mr. Wright proved himself to be an absolute dick-head in provoking his leading lady at a critical moment when he absolutely needed her on side. I can't say I am over-impressed with the staff selection at St. Andrews.

Tammy demonstrated her mettle in taking over the direction of the play at a moment's notice and her choice of dress for the dinner was superb.

Changed Circumstances

I think it's a changing world rather than previous staff selection criteria that's more the issue. I don't recall that we know how long Mr. Wright had been there. He had for sure signed up to be a teacher at a traditional not government funded exclusive boys school. It's been apparent that some of the personnel at the school have a traditional values orientation which worked fine before the student body became more diverse. It's a period of adjustment for everyone at the school. Those that can't accept or adapt to the changes will be adjusted out.

Shiraz, thanks for the new chapter.

Staff selections

WillowD's picture

Personally, I'm rather impressed with how well they are doing at weeding out the bad apples.

Have you looked at where Thuros is on a map?

Julia Miller's picture

That town is about as far away from everything else in the UK, as you can get, without getting wet in the sea. I would think that the better teachers could find employment much closer to the larger centres. I'm not saying the teachers are lousy, but the ones that couldn't find employment elsewhere would apply to St. Andrews.

Thurso

Thurso

target?

Alecia Snowfall's picture

while the whole world isn't against Tammy it seems like there are a never ending number of agitators. I'm not worried though..our Tammy will sort 'em out!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

I'm thinking that the changes

I'm thinking that the changes brought into the school by Tammy coming out, along with Angela were not necessarily the catalyst for Mr. Wright's outburst. He appears to have been homophobic in his ways long before this. He just could not restrain himself from his internal dislike or distaste for anyone who was different than he. Tammy and Angela were both just excuses. My concern based on his display of attitude both in the classroom, hallways, and then in front of Tammy and the Head who was there with other witnesses, albeit Mr. Wright not knowing they were behind him at that moment; is just how many young impressionable boys did he "mind screw" with over the years of his teaching tenure at the school? Good riddance to bad rubbish in my opinion.

Stepped on his own toes

Jamie Lee's picture

What reason did Mr. Wright have for a last minute performance of Macbeth for the visiting old boys? Showing off? Showing how well he does as a teacher? Whatever reason he never got to see the results.

When a teacher, or whatever title is used, enters a school all of their personal opinions must be left at the door. Unless it pertains to the subject they teach. All bias they possess should be left as well. Once they enter the school the only opinion they should have is that of the school by-laws and rules pertaining to students. If they don't like how a student is dressed, but its within school guidelines, than that teacher should have nothing to say. However if the way that student dresses, even if within school guidelines, start causing problems, then something should be said.

But Wright's problem was with Tammy being TG. That she exhibited unnatural behavior being Tammy and not Tom. Wright was stuck in another time, a past time, and was unable to accept the changes which were now at school. He is one of the people that progress will pass by because he refuses to accept it.

Tammy did a bang up job taking over for the missing Mr. Wright. She also didn't seem to have problems getting the other sixth form boy to get ready to perform. Her being polite and calm, at least outwardly, help get every one ready. She didn't cajole, threaten, belittle, or humiliate anyone. She simply treated her fellow sixth form mates with respect.

Dave was the very person to speak with everyone close to Tammy about her's and their security. He got through to Tammy better than anyone so far. It appears he got through to Tanya too, though her "need" to speak about almost caused her to speak to Tammy about her meeting. Even Angela was acting better, or feeling better after her meeting. Maybe now, after meeting with Dave, a better understanding has been achieved and Angela doesn't feel so left out.

But what's caught Tammy's attention that she needs to speak with her dad? It seemed important to her or she might have waited until morning to tell him they need to speak.

Others have feelings too.

Staff turnover

So far, the school's lost a Deputy Head, an Administrator and now a teacher - at a time when they're planning to substantially increase sixth form intake. Add onto that the unexpected fashion show and dealings with Intelligence, plus admitting two trans students, and it's possibly the most eventful year in the school's history!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!