Powdered Sugar side-scene.

Printer-friendly version

Powdered Sugar side scene.

It took me a while to recover from just the sheer shock of everything and finding out that my daddy was still alive and that he was a cop was such a WTF moment. Not just a cop but a Fed.

As in FBI.

And there was tears and there was crying and me just losing it and being hysterical and all of that and then we all sort of did this huge family sort of thing where we all sat in this big old parlor or living room that had a big old Christmas tree and decorations and a fire place with a real fire going in it and there was food and drink.

Lots of drink and I’m not a party girl but after everything when my grandfather passed me a cider it was spiked pretty hard with some of that Fireball cinnamon whisky.

I lean on Alex one hell of a lot too really and we all sort of listened to things as they were getting explained and I’ll go into that later.

This…this was about the next day.

Alex and I crashed here after talking well into the night and I was drunk enough that I fell asleep and I don’t think that he wanted to move me and I’m enough of a coffeeholic that the smell had woken me up.

I slipped out of the sleeping bag and Alex’s arms and I headed to the bathroom and had a pee and washed up and headed towards the smell of the coffee and to the big old country styled kitchen and that’s when I see her.

Me…like damned near exactly me but with a bit more curve and long hair and it’s kind of cool because she has either died the middle or the sides of her head because she had brown hair in the middle of her hair and then it goes out to blonde on the sides.

There’s one of those steel octagonal sort of coney looking espresso pots is going on the wood stove they have in the corner and it’s that type where you can see the glass pot top handle bud showing the coffee doing the bubbly thing.

It smells like heaven.

I knock on the door jam. “Hey, Morning.”

She looks at me and her eyes get big. “Oh…shit…you must be Hunter.”

“Hi…uhm…yeah and you must be my cousin?”

“Lucy.” She offers her hand and I take it.

“Cool to meet you, are you the cousin that does kind of sort of look like me?”

She raises her eyebrow, it’s pierced too. This is sort of surreal.

“You want to do a panty check?”

“Uhm hell no…just…I’ve never met anyone like me so…” I shrug and kind of feel kind of shitty and embarrassed too. You just…I pretty much did ask the waaay too rude trans question.

Lucy grins. “Yeah, like you I had stuff covering up stuff that I had and would have rather had and it all got sorted when I went to transition and stuff and they found out how out of whack I was and how it was causing problems and how bad those problems could have gotten and had things worked out.”

I sigh a sigh of relief. “Sorry about that question and all.”

“Hey we’re cool you’re home and I’m not the sole family interest story anymore so there’s that.”

I grin…okay even in a standard family I can see how our situation would have sucked.

She looks at me. “Coffee?”

“Oh please, my brain was doing the jonesing fidgets trying to be polite while smelling that.”

She cackles a little. I like it; it’s a sort of punk kind of a little off but a little off in a good way cackle. “A girl after my own heart, actually I brought my own coffee and the pot.”

“I have to get one of those.”

She nods and she takes out a pitcher from the fridge and she gets two big mugs and she gets out a magic bullet? I’m looking and she grins and she pours milk into the top of the magic bullets clear cup thingy and she microwaves it and then while she does that she adds sugar after looking at me and I nod and she adds cream then the hot espresso but like about just two shots each and she gives it a little stir and then the microwave beeps and she takes out the heated milk and screws on the magic bullets blending part and Voosh…scalded milk with foam.

See a magic bullet blender is so powerful it’ll make table sugar into powdered sugar and using it like this it’s got more than enough juice in it to make that foam and she pours it in and stirs and out here in the middle of nowhere we’re having double shot full-cream lattes with 2 sugars.

Lucy smiles and does this gesture out to the porch where it’s chilly but not too cold but we shove our feet into other people’s boots and grab jackets anyway and I slip into Alex’s jacket and we head out to sit and drink coffee and sit on the porch swing.

I take a long sip and sigh happily.

It’s going to be a good day I think I’m scared but I think it’s going to be a good day.

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh why must you tease us so!

GrandiaKnight's picture

So much going on in this story. I can't wait to read the lead up to this moment in Sweet Dreams! Please keep the chapters coming.

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

I wanted to do a little teaser for this.

1. To show that I'm not leaving that story hanging and 2. That it is going to be a primer so more little tidbits will be coming.
* Great Big Hugs *

Bailey Summers

A long awaited mini sequel to Hunter's future Christmas tale

Vague hints at why Hunter's mom fled the family..maybe.

WHOPPING GREAT PLOT SPOILER AHEAD>>>

BUT the big reveal is... no wonder they accepted HER. She is not the only girl like her in the family.

So she is not only finding family and more of the love she never had with her birth mom and stepshit but she has found she is not alone. There is at least one other like her.

And we get hints that once she recovers from the years of abuse and malnutrition Hunter will become quite the looker.

Brains, street smarts, loyalty, a great work ethic and a diamond in the rough... no wonder Alex and co love her .

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

You know

I don't remember mention of Lucy so now I'm going to have to reread "powdered sugar".
Great little short, thanks

Powdered Sugar side scene

Absolutely amazing. You have to quit you day job and write more. So few words but a scene unfolds so nicely. Love all your writing. More, More and Thanks for sharing your wonderful skill
Hugs
Francesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

Thank You So Much Francesca!

I was going for that sort of meeting Lucy and that winter big farm house sort of scene.
I am really glad this had the right effect.
* Great Big Hugs *

Bailey Summers

powered sugar

I don't find powered sugar in your story list. is it posted somewhere else? keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Oh what a teaser

Jamie Lee's picture

Daddy? So whose buried in the cemetery?

It will be hard to wait for the rest of the story--as Paul Harvey would say.

Others have feelings too.

Surprise surprise surprise

Jamie Lee's picture

Shock of shocks, meeting herself, um, cousin making coffee. So now Hunter isn't the only one with a story to tell about life and how it treated her.

This is one of those "must not miss" stories which leave the reader wanting more more and more. There is, after all, the HCQ election still to be held and finding out if Anika and Kathy go scarlet because they lost.

Others have feelings too.

So want more,

but I wont bug you, Thank You for the gift of your writing,