Nowhere to Run: Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
nowheretorun.png


Chapter 7

From Bad, To Worse

“There's widespread panic, all over the city. Most communities are without telephones, many without power, and some without water, at this time. Scientists at the CDC have released this statement. The bodies of the recently dead are returning to life. Driven by an unknown force that drives the brain to function. People trapped, or unable to get to the safety of their own homes. We are giving a list of rescue stations on the screen.”

“I am so glad we have a safe place to stay for a while,” I said while watching the newscast on kitchen television.

Mom watched out the window. The zombies are coming toward the house. The force field did its job. Just hope nothing goes wrong.

Jennifer was in the family room watching a movie. I would also go in there, but she decided to watch Resident Evil 6: The Final Chapter. Not sure why she wanted to. There were zombies in that movie. It would give me the creeps. If the zombies were not outside, I would have watched it. I believe Jennifer is watching this movie, to scare me the most. I know I have seen lots of Zombie movies and shows. I can think of some at the top of my head. I guess my favorite would be Zombieland. But nothing can beat the Walking Dead.

Jack, or should I say Jill... Yeah, she decided to use Jill. The whole Jack and Jill thing. Well, anyways, Jill and I decided to make cookies. Why do we waste food, you say? It keeps our mind off the monsters standing outside.

“So Jill, did you go up this hill, to fetch a pail of water?” I giggled.

“Haha,” Jill said. “Very funny.”

We finished making the cookies. They were Chocolate Chip. Me and my sister's favorite. Jennifer smelt it from the family room, and next thing I knew, she was behind me. I turned around and jumped.

“God Jen, don't do that!” I cried.

“Is that what I think it is?” She asked sniffing the air.

“Yes, it is,” I said, offering her one.

“I'm watching the movie. I couldn't watch it. Want to watch Cartoon Network?”

I was excited. “Yeah!” I ran into the family room and turned the channel to 176. I sat down on the couch. The next thing I noticed was the channel was not working.

“Jen!” I cried. “I can't see the show.” Jennifer came into the room. She glanced at the television.

“Oh, sorry, little sis,” she said. “It seems like all the channels are broadcasting the Emergency Alert System.
I was disappointed.

~o~O~o~

Later that night, I was lying in bed, when I heard a ruckus downstairs. I wasn't sure what it was, but it scared the living daylights out of me.

“What was that?” I asked when I ran to the staircase.

“Don't come down here,” mom yelled. “A zombie somehow broke through the barrier of the force field.”

“I thought you said it would protect us?” I cried.

I could hear George in the basement calling up the stairs. “Sometimes there are flaws in things I make. You already know that from the Isisraxtosa virus I created.”

“Don't forget it also changed Jack and me into a girl,” I yelled.

“It's Jill!” I heard my friend yell.

“So how are you doing to get this zombie?” I asked.

There was no answer. Everything was quiet. All I heard was the sounds of moaning from outside. It was getting on my nerves.

“If I had a gun, I would shoot all of them!” I yelled.

I went down the stairs. It was so quiet. Next thing I knew, I saw the zombie. It was inside the house. I screamed, which wasn't a smart thing. It saw me and started heading towards me. All the others were barricaded in the basement. I can't believe they left me alone with a zombie.

It was getting close to me. I was running, but it was quick. I didn't know what to do. I didn't have any weapons. I ran to the family room. The best thing I could do was find something to kill it with. I spotted a lamp. I threw it at the monster. It didn't do anything. The zombie is about to devour me. I wish someone could help.

I was cornered. The zombie was a few feet from me. I started crying. I was curled up in the corner, helpless. I was crying so much I couldn't even see the zombie. This would be the end of me. I just knew it.

Just then, the zombie fell to the floor.

“What happened?” I cried. I looked up and saw Jill. She was holding a bloody kitchen knife. I could see she had tears in her eyes. So did I.
She ran over to me and hugged me.

“I can't believe you saved me,” I sobbed.

“I didn't want to lose my best friend,” she cried on my shoulder.

“Who let the zombie into the house?” I asked, “And why did you and the others go into the basement?”

“Your mother kept the door open, for some fresh air,” she said. “They went to the basement, I ran into the closet for shelter.”

“So they left you and me up here to face the zombie alone?”

“Some parents you have.”

We marched to the basement door. I tried to open it, but it was locked. I pounded on it. They wouldn't even open it. They must have thought we were the zombie.

“Mom! Jennifer!” I screamed.

They didn't even open the door. I started crying.

I noticed the door was still open and shut it. I also locked it. “I can't believe mom opened this door.”

I gazed out the window. I could see hundreds, maybe thousands of zombies. I was freaking out. I just hope they don't find out how to cross the barrier, like the other one. I stare down at the dead zombie. It smells nasty. We had to get rid of it somehow. Jill and I took the zombie and moved it to the front door. Watching out the door to see if there weren't any zombies, I opened the door, and we threw him outside. Before I shut the door, I stared at the sky. From a distance, I could see dark clouds and lightning. It didn't look like any clouds I have ever seen.

”Jill looks at that,” I said, pointing towards the sky.

“Oh my God!” she said.

“What is it?” I asked.

“It's a wall cloud,” she cried. She didn't appear delighted. I have a feeling something wasn't right.

“What's a wall cloud?” I asked while shutting and locking the door.

“It can sometimes be a threatening cloud.” She explained. We looked out the window at the sky. It was a greenish color. “Now I am worried.”

“Why is that?” I started panicking.

She didn't say anything. She was still gazing at the clouds. But then, heavy hail started falling with lots of rain. The hail displayed huge, like baseball-sized hail. I could see the zombies were getting hit by them. Some were falling over.

“Look!” she said, pointing out at the clouds.

What we saw was the most frightening thing we have ever seen, besides the zombies. The wall cloud had just created a funnel cloud, and it was lowering down to the ground. It just produced a tornado, and it was heading straight for us.

We ran to the basement door and started pounding harder and screaming. Still no answer, we tried to break the door down. No luck. Being so little, we couldn't even make a dent. Mom, Jennifer, George, and Alfred were down there, and they didn't care if we were up here.

We could hear the sound of a train. We don't have trains here in Mantri. The train sound was getting louder. I doubt they will sound the tornado sirens now, due to the zombie apocalypse going on. We had to get away from the house. I didn't want to leave my mom and sister, but there was no choice.

We ran to the kitchen. Jill helped by packing a few food items, and then we were out the door. We ran to the car, and I started it. It's not easy to start a car without keys, but it's a good thing I was taught. There were many zombies out there. I hesitated to leave the house, but I had to.

“Let's pray this car can go through the force field and not kill us when we do,” I said.

Jill, under the steering wheel, hit the gas and we were off. I was kneeling on the seat. I was too little to even see the road if I was sitting. I screamed as we broke through the barrier. Zombies were everywhere. I could see lots of them hitting the car as we went. We were both screaming now. I looked in the mirror and saw that the tornado wasn't far behind. It was closer to the house than we were. I cried when I saw the house was being torn up.

All the fun we could have done if we had stayed there. My video games, the TV with lots of Blu-rays. We were far enough from the zombies, but we still had to keep going. The tornado was still heading towards us.

Just then, a part of the house flew into my path. I was to swerve to get out of the way. Lots of zombies were also flying at the car. I hope they would not get up. The sky was getting dark. It was getting to be night time. I forgot to turn on the headlights. I turned it on, but it wasn't a good idea. I merely introduced a horde of zombies. They started heading towards the car.

This was going to be a long night trying to get to a safe place. I turned the car to the left and headed away from them. I looked out the driver side window, and I saw the tornado. It was huge now. I believe it may have been an E-F4, maybe E-F5.
Luckily, it was not heading towards us anymore. It turned in a different direction.

I glanced at the fuel gauge. It was almost empty. We had to find a place to fill up, or we would have to walk. But where would we go? I turned on the radio.

“...And people have been taking the law into their own hands. If you are listening to the broadcast at this time, please contact one of the rescue stations immediately.” There was a lot of static.

The radio announcement told us to go to the rescue stations, but where was it? Jill looked up at me.

“We could try our capital, that might be a good place to start,” she said.

“No, didn't you see the show The Walking Dead?” I explained. “People tried to go to Atlanta and ended up being devoured by zombies. It's not smart to go to big cities.”

“I hope you are right.”

“So far I have been right.” I smiled.

We made it to a small town where we could fill up the gas. I only hope there wouldn't be any zombies around when I do. The rain was still falling, but the hail was gone. I believe the tornado was also far away. We stopped at a fuel station, and I tried to fill the tank. There was still electricity working on this pump. I started filling, but didn't fill it up all the way. The electric shut off, and that was the end of the free gas.

“Well, at least we can continue driving,” I said proudly. “We have a little over half a tank.”

I started the engine again, and we were on our way. But where were we going?

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Survivability Zero

This chapter really suit the title. I dont see how are they going to survive this holocaust. Without the adult I really see there is no where to go but just move on as long they are still allive. Oh man...:(