The Nostalgia Train

Printer-friendly version

The Nostalgia Train

by Maggie O Malley and shalimar

After we tried some of the normal rides in the amusement park Eric and I saw a ride called the Nostalgia Train and were curious what it was all about so we went to the information booth connected to it and found out.

“You actually go back in time,” the youth at the desk said. “You can even go to a different place. For example if you wanted to see one of the Black Sox games in 1919 we could have you ride the train to Chicago. Although we are here on the East Coast it would only take a few minutes and when you get there you would be wearing the clothes and riding a train of that time. Also you can be anyone or any age you want. Do you have an idea of where and when you want to go?”

“We were just curious,” Eric explained. “We need to discuss our choices. Do you recommend anything?”

“One of the most popular destinations is going back to the US near the beginning of World War Two. Many people feel that it was an exciting time and want to experience it.”

We looked at each other and nodded before I said, “That sounds great.”

“Do you want to be men, women or one of each?”

“You can do that?” Eric asked.

“Of course. We use magic.”

Curious, I asked, “If we decided to be women how real WOULD we be?”

“Completely. If you decided to stay back there you could possibly come back here tomorrow as great grandmothers. We do recommend that you stay back there a short time say … a week at the most.”

Eric asked, “Why is that?”

“To see if you like it. If you didn’t you would know that your time back then will eventually be over.”

I pulled Eric aside and told him that I wanted to see what it was like to be a girl.

“I’m no fag,” he replied.

“Didn’t you ever want to know what it is like to be a girl?”

“No.”

“Come on,” I insisted. “It’ll be fun. We could do it for a little while.”

“All right, but only for a day or two.”

“OK,” we spoke together when we got back to the barker,” We’ll do it.”

“Just uses two of the computers here and fill out the information. When you finish I’ll give you each a copy. If you need to we’ll make changes. When you’re satisfied we’ll get you on the train.”

“That’s it?” I asked.

“That’s it.”

We finished our information and another worker checked it with us. Finally we got things right.

After our information was confirmed she told us, Go through the door under the ENTER sign. Everything will be taken care of when you enter.”

The first thing I knew after the door closed, I was standing on the train platform next to this really cool, ‘that’s a weird word,’ really beautiful building called, Union Station in Indianapolis. The station and platform were just full of people going to or meeting people from all these neat places. Yet Alice wasn’t with me. Alice? My friend’s name is Eric! He, no she is an eighteen-year-old girl just like … me? I look down and see MY breasts and the dress I’m wearing, and faint.

I felt like I’m on my back and there are a couple of women trying to help me up. ‘Gosh they are dressed so keen. Keen?’ I noticed right off they were dressed in a 1940's look, I mean right down to the hat and the seam up the back of their hose. The ladies told me I just suddenly fainted and that it was probably the heat or something, and it was hot in there come to think of it. The air conditioner had been on when I walked in. I was so sure of it but I must have been wrong because it certainly was warm, and when I looked up at the ceiling there were these big round circular fans slowly moving hot air. I guess the air conditioner was never installed in this Union Station. ‘Union Station?’

Feeling much more awake, but not sure exactly what had happened, I told the ladies I was alright and thanked them for lending a hand. I remember smiling big, because my voice sounded really high and sweet sort of like a young woman’s. Then I remembered I was a girl now. I even remembered being a little girl dressed all pretty with her little hat and gloves, holding mummy's hand, chattering away and fussing because she can't see daddy's window on the train because she's too short and there are too many people.

And then finally, daddy was in front of me and he gave mommy a hug and kiss before he picked me up, gave me a kiss and asked, “Was my pumpkin a good girl while I was away?”

I gave my father a hug and kiss then said, “Yes, daddy.”

I held daddy’s hand while he had his other arm around mommy as we walked back to the car that Uncle Julius drove us in. After we got back and daddy unpacked. Daddy gave mommy a beautiful necklace and I got this really pretty doll to play with.

I realized then I really had to hurry or you would be coming in with no one to greet you and I took one final quick glance into the mirror before I prepared to make a mad dash lobbyward but I nearly fainted again. The image that greeted me surprised me for a moment. I thought it was someone else's reflection because it just couldn’t be mine but I was all alone and there was no denying it. I too had come to that nostalgic train station because I was dressed very much like the ladies I seen moments earlier. Gone was the outfit I'd just spent my last two dollars on at the Woolworth’s store ‘Woolworth’s?’ that had replaced by an emerald green blouse and skirt combo that I swear I'd seen Rita Hayworth wearing the night before on Turner Classic Movies. I mean I had it all right down to the hat, the gloves and those silk stockings whose seam I had straight as an arrow. Was it Channel #5 I smelled? Well, at least that hadn't changed, but everything else sure had. ‘How would I know it was Chanel #5 or any other perfume?’

And the biggest change was the package poured into that gorgeous outfit. I was young, barely out of my teens, if that much, and I was pretty, oh maybe not pin up pretty like those magazine pictures our boys at the front always moon over, but just sort of the nice good looking girl-next-door kind of pretty like you see from a young girl working at the five and dime or just sitting at the soda fountain at the drug store and having a sandwich.

‘Drug store soda fountains? Five and Dime? Boys at the front? Geeez Louise! I really must be getting into the spirit of the thing, although I knew we sadly have a front where our boys and girls too? Is that right, GIRLS? were now fighting’ but for some reason I just couldn’t seem to remember where. All I was able to think about were my friends in England and all those bombs and listening to the radio and wondering when will this all end and when will our boys come home.

I shook my head trying to get back to the 21st century, but all I saw was a head full of beautiful auburn soft curls and big green eyes and a body that poured into that dress like it was designed to be worn only by me.

My God! Speak of old movies. I looked so much like a young Ingrid Bergman with red hair it’s unbelievable. I almost expected Humphrey Bogart to come walking through that door and then I giggled as it was hard to picture Humphrey Bogart walking into the ladies room at the train station. Would have killed his image, wouldn’t you say?

I spun, I twirled, and all I got is dizzier, but the reflection never changed. After a bit I didn’t even think it should.

I mean, ‘Why should it change you silly kid? It is YOUR reflection isn’t it? It is the outfit you've been saving up to wear with the money you earned working at the movie theatre.’

I knew it was all true, right down to all those movies I watched while pushing popcorn and candy. I also knew something else. I knew I was going to be late to meet my special friend so without another thought I finally bolted from the ladies room.

The scene outside had changed dramatically but I was no longer sure exactly how. It was more of a funny feeling but I didn’t have time for nonsense and just made my way through the crowd of people. Oh, so many people, all coming and going from this big beautiful Union Station. There were so many kinds of people here. Soldiers coming home on leave. ‘Oh I wish they didn’t have to go back’ and more soldiers leaving family and friends as they returned to the front and oh I pray they come back safe. There were husbands, wives, children, hugging, laughing, crying, waving, oh what a wonderfully chaotic mess it all seemed. Over by the big beautiful doors were the cab drivers shuttling people to and from the station in those beautiful old cabs.

‘Old? How could they have been old? Why daddy has a new Studebaker almost like one of those cabs only his isn’t yellow.’

Steam, steam, and more steam and whistles, and porters, and people, and the conductor poured off another train, adding to the confusion. I looked up at the board to find when your train came in from California when I heard a man call out that yours “…WILL BE ARRIVING AT GATE NUMBER FIVE.”

‘Is that Glen Miller playing? I didn’t know they had a jukebox over at the soda fountain. Daddy doesn’t think much of Bennie Goodman, Glen Miller or any kind of swing music but I think it’s hot! I can't wait till I see you! Maybe you can show me all those fancy dance steps they do in California. Then we can go out and have dinner. Definitely something better than Burger King.

‘Burger what? Where did I get THAT from? Maybe I did fall harder than I thought in the ladies room. I know for a fact that I wanted us to go to Momma Iriana's Italian Restaurant. Momma's got the best spaghetti in town and the best looking waiters too.’

I smiled thinking about those boys.

‘Darn these heels ... and all these people I will never get to the platform in time. Henry Fonda! Is that Clark Gable? Sigh! Of course it isn’t. It never is, but a girl’s gotta hope, doesn't she?’

Just as I made the platform and scanned the cars, I finally saw you. I was so happy and I started jumping up and down trying to make my short self visible in a sea of giant soldiers trying to push past me. ‘Owww! That pinch was on purpose.’

I saw her holding her bags and looking around before she saw me! Finally a handsome Navy man in his dress whites loaned me a hand and helped me push through the crowd, finally getting a clear path to her. Humphrey Bogart? No, but oh so close. I sighed.

With nothing but ten feet of empty platform between us we closed the distance quickly, jumping into each other’s arms.

"Ida!" she screamed as I screamed, "Alice!"

We hugged and cried and jumped for joy like the two pretty young nicely dressed women that are young working girls we truly are. She looked so wonderful in that beautiful dress, having a bit of Southern California color.

“I've missed you so much since your folks moved out there, and now my best friend is home again. It will be just like old times. I was so happy when your folks talked to my folks and decided to let you come back here and work with me here in Indiana. I still don’t think the Japanese are going to bomb Southern California like they did Pearl Harbor, but if your folks think you being back here with me and my folks keeps you safer during war time, I sure ain’t complaining.”

“Neither am I. I just want to be with you again Ida. I think I’ll work in one of the ammunition plants nearby. Can you imagine me? Rosie the Riveter? Now I hope we can have some fun while we’re here.”

We hugged even more as we both started chattering at once, making us giggle. The Navy boy who’d helped me get through the crowd walked back towards us with an Army boy. I looked at Alice at the same time she looked at me.

We said together, “Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable,” before giggling.

When they finally reached us Navy asked, “Hi, remember me? I’m William Jones and this is my friend, John. We’re home on leave for a few days before we have to go back to our units. Would you ladies like to join us at the USO dance tonight?”

Alice and I looked at each other, smiled and nodded our heads.

“We’ll have to ask my parents,” I informed Bill as I put my hand in his. “Mama and daddy are in our Studebaker out at the curb. If you ask them, I’m sure they’ll let us.”

“Forgive my friend’s manners,” Alice told John while we walked towards daddy’s car. “I’m Alice, and this is Ida.”

I listened to Bill talk as we walked. By the time we reached Daddy’s car I had involuntarily given Bill a hand signal to intertwine our fingers.

“Mama, daddy, this is Bill and his friend, John.”

John asked, “May we take your daughter and her friend to the USO dance tonight?”

“Well,” daddy dawdled. “Could you have them home by ten?”

“Daddy!”

“OK.” We promise.” Bill agreed. “May we have your address, directions and if you have one, a phone number?”

When Daddy pulled out a paper and pencil, Bill kissed me! It was great, so sensuous. When it was finally over I sighed. I felt like a deer caught in headlights, and all I wanted to do was stare at my Navy man. They left for their homes near Union Station.

We finally put Alice’s suitcase into the trunk and got into the back seats. Daddy was driving home when Alice asked me, “Were you as taken by Bill as I was with John?”

“Oh, yess,” I sighed. “He’s dreamy! And before we go out with them tonight I have to play my new Glenn Miller and Bennie Goodman records. I think we’re going to drive my parents wild!”

While we were playing the records we discussed what to wear to that USO social. I decided on a dreamy red dress that showed my cleavage nicely. I was going to wear some Bobbie sox and flats. We looked at Alice’s wardrobe and decided that nothing she had was good enough so I lent her my blue dress that fit her perfectly. With her Bobbie sox and shoes she’d be the bell of the ball if it weren’t for me. We both took baths and were nearly dressed when our soldier boys knocked on the door.

“We’re going to be late,” we said in unison then giggled.

We put on our finishing touches, including perfume before walking down the stairs to the living room.

“WOW!” John exclaimed. “You girls are beautiful!”

“I’d say!” was all that Bill could manage.

Bill drove us near the dance hall. We had sandwiches at the drugstore then we walked to the dance. We cut a rug to most of the hip hop music. Sometimes we caught our breath and talked. What I liked most was being held close during the slow dances. I didn’t want the evening to end, but when it was nearly ten, Bill told me that he had to take us home.

“Can’t you take us home later?”

“I want you to stay, too, but I want to see you again, and I don’t need to mess things up by getting you home late, just in case your father’s a fuddy-duddy. Look at the bright side. You’ll be in my dreams.”

“And you’ll be in mine.”

“Could I see you again, maybe tomorrow afternoon?”

“I think daddy won’t mind.”

We walked to the car and they took us home. On the porch we kissed again. I needed that kiss to last me the whole night. After I told daddy that Bill wanted to see me the next day Alice and I talked until midnight when sleep finally caught up with us.

Bill and John came and took us on a walk in the park. After we went to Newberry’s and had a soda. It was nice to see that the Navy hadn’t made Bill a city slicker. I wouldn’t mind being cozy with him for the rest of my life. Am I falling in love with him?

The next day was the saddest of my life. The leave Bill and John had was ending. Daddy took Alice and me to pick them up to take them to the station, the same Union Station we met them. I put on a brave face, but there was an ache in my heart. We walked with our soldier boys to the steps of the train. We were crying, wishing they could stay and not go to war. I noticed that Alice and John were talking.

“Write to me every day,” Bill asked me.

“Only if you do the same.”

Bill and John gave us kisses before climbing the steps into the car. We cried and waved as we watched the train leave the station. Finally we needed to fix our makeup and those darn hose seams again before meeting momma and daddy out at the curb.

“That was amazing,” Eric remarked. I actually felt like I was a girl. It wasn’t just the physical aspects, although they seemed real. I had the emotions of a young woman.”

“It did seem real,” I admitted.

“Everything was props, even our boyfriends.”

“Actually, you were really back in Indiana during the war. Everyone was real,” replied the young woman at the booth who overheard our conversation.

“What happened to Bill and John?” I asked.

“What were their full names?” she asked.

A few seconds after she typed the information we had on the boys, “They survived the war and lived for about another fifty years. They never married.”

“We have to go back,” I insisted.

“Why?”

“They loved us. They needed us. They missed us. Isn’t that enough?”

“I don’t want to be a girl.”

“I’m going back and I need my best friend. Besides, I think there is someone watching us to make sure we do go back.”

“Are you sure?”

“Look into your heart.”

He frowned then nodded.

“Come,” I suggested as I held his hand and pulled him back towards the entrance.

On a nearby bench, a woman in her eighties was watching the young men reenter the Nostalgia Train. She had been sitting there almost the entire day.

A young woman interrupted the ancient lady, “Grandma.”

Grandma quickly looked up, “Jennifer, you startled me.”

“Grandma Ida, you insisted we come here to the amusement park today, and all you did was sit here and watch that Nostalgia Train ride from the outside.”

“I was remembering your Grandma Alice. Did you know we’ve been friends since we were little kids?”

“Yes, grandma.”

“Today she did something for me that made us happy.”

Ida struggled to get up onto her walker. “That’s including your grandfathers.”

“But she died a year ago,” replied Jennifer, watching her grandmother struggle. “How could she do something for you today?”

Jennifer wasn’t a cruel girl. She knew her grandmother needed to get up on her own, but she was nearby in case Ida couldn’t make it.

“I know, but she did it today, right there.”

Jennifer didn’t know whether she should believe her grandmother or chalk it up to senility as they walked to the car so she could take Ida home.

Huggles and love from the forties. Just a lil kitten tale for you from Little Kids Kamp.

Love Maggie the kitten and her mother, Shelly Johnson, aka shalimar.

We thank Holly Logan for her editing assistance.

up
36 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh Remember When

Maggie & Shalimar,

As always a warm and touching story. I always look forward to another "Maggie" story cuz I'll feel all warm and fuzzy.

Thanks!!

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

A Lovely Story

This one made me cry. Thank you Maggie, and thank you shalimar.

I'm Old Enough

to remember first-hand all those references -- I grew up with them.

It was a lovely story!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

The Nostalgia Train crosses Memory Road

I always seem to forget to have a box of tissues on hand whenever I read one of your stories.

Perhaps my memory is either too good, or my emotions are too easily affected.

Thank you again. I'm afraid I missed the train, perhaps next trip.

1955-12y5m.jpg

God Bless You All...

Loved it.

NatalieRath's picture

Alice sacrificed everything for Ida. It's sad but really touching. Thank you for this warm tale.