Tamara's Trials - Chapter 28 "Catching up"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Twenty Eight

 

"Catching up"

 

 
Tuesday 10th February
 

"Good afternoon Tammy."

"Hello Doctor."

"Please, call me Adi. How are you?"

"Getting better, I have more energy now."

"Do not over-work yourself, this was a very serious infection and you will take some time to recover."

"Why wasn't it picked up before?"

"Apart from being tired you weren't exhibiting any symptoms. I've reviewed your last results but a specific test for infection was not requested, but naturally I've been told to include a request for culturing with this batch, let's have your arm."

Once that was done Tammy was weighed, had her BP taken and finally was asked to get onto the bed.

"I need to check the stitches."

"Do I need to say if I've been swimming?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I've been swimming."

"Pool or the sea?"

"Private pool."

"Good, the sea's not pleasant or safe this time of the year. So long as the pool is treated correctly that shouldn't be a problem, did you notice any swelling?"

"No, but I don't tend to look down there."

"I do, drop your knickers."

Adi was happy that everything was healing and made notes whilst Tammy made herself decent.

"I'll be pleased to get everything else sorted."

"I'm sure you know the rules, Tammy."

"I know, one full year, then several shrinks to say I'm sane."

"If sanity came into it then you wouldn't stand a chance."

"Thanks, not!"

"Look, you've got most things under control and your hormones should hopefully settle back down soon. I want to see you for weekly checks on a Tuesday afternoon until we have proof it's stable."

"Sure. We moved at the weekend, by the way."

"You didn't do any work, did you?"

"No, I was in bed."

"Good. How much are you sleeping in the day?"

"An hour or two each morning and afternoon but it's reducing."

"I'll sign you off school until you go back after half-term."

"What about everything else?"

"Like?"

"Theatre rehearsal on Saturday, Valentines Ball, helping move Sarah's shop from Monday, I'm sure I've missed something."

"I should say 'no' to everything but I know you'll ignore me so let's be sensible; one thing a day only, choose if it's morning or afternoon or evening but only once a day, and if you're tired scrub everything. Understand?"

"Yes, Adi."

"Good, go home and have a rest as this appointment counts as your sole activity today."

“Just one more thing?”

“Yes?”

“What happened to the bits the surgeon removed?”

“Probably gone to the lab, if they weren’t destroyed. Why?”

“Just curious.”

“We’ve overrun, go home!”

***

After dealing with several outstanding emails Tammy had spent most of that morning notifying everyone their new address. This was the third time in four months she'd changed her online shopping delivery address for some websites so knew her way around. Once Angela was back from school she was reminded to make similar changes, although her limited online existence meant that she would have fewer sites to update than Tammy.

Angela's arrival home, courtesy of mum, had also brought homework and a snotty note from her business studies tutor complaining of broken promises.

That evening, after dinner, she let herself into the study and dialled a number on the official phone.

"Hi Heather?"

"It's Sophie, Heather's in the kitchen loading the washing machine."

"A glamorous job, I guess?"

"Handling someone else's underwear is not glamorous young lady. I guess Jimmy has been to see you?"

"Yes, he was here for several hours yesterday."

"Right, Heather's here."

"Okay, bye Sophie."

"Hello Tammy, what do you have for me?"

"I've been through the fashion show documents and, as you suggested, something isn't right."

"Give me an overview."

"On one of the documents, Penny Lane is written as Penelopa Lanovska."

"That's not a crime, you can't base an investigation on one strange-sounding name."

"Okay, the economics for the show don't make sense. There's plenty of money going in, much more than is needed, and then is being explained as contingencies."

"How much?"

"A mil."

"How much would you estimate the show should really cost?"

"Without considering any discounting it's twenty to twenty five thou."

"Is that everything?"

"Yes, logistics, advertising, location, necessary staff including models, ancillaries and bribes."

"Bribes?"

"Sorry, petty cash for local problem solving."

"Oh, bribes."

"Yes."

"Where did you find that?"

"Under the marquee hire."

"What's the problem with that?"

"Have you ever tried to put a tent up in a storm?"

"Can't say I have."

"Well, the prevailing wind up here during the winter is twenty to thirty miles per hour with gusts at sixty plus, you do not put a marquee up during the winter or early spring! If the wind caught a tent it would end up in Norway!"

"What's the stated value of the marquee?"

"Six thousand, on top of the other costs."

"Okay, well spotted, what else is there?"

"No insurance policy for the event, but £950,000 set aside as an insurance fund."

"That sounds like someone daren't risk applying for a policy."

"Yes. There's a few things on the inventory I don't understand though?"

"Like what?"

"Dosimeters, a dozen of them, whatever they are."

"Interesting, anything else?"

"Yes, severe overmanning."

"Too many models?"

"No, about a dozen staff who aren't needed."

"And a dozen dosimeters? What local sources of radiation do you know?"

"Radiation? I thought we were talking about a fashion show?"

"We are, any radiation sources near Thurso?"

"Well Dounreay is just past Scrabster, but that's not operational and is being decommissioned, there's even a visitors' centre."

"Dounreay is well documented too, anything else?"

"Not that I know of."

"Okay, thanks for what you've done so far but can you send me those documents?"

"By email?"

"No, nothing like this is to go to the email address on my business card. Do you have your laptop available?"

"It's here."

"Go to this website." Heather read out the site's address. "You'll need a login and a password, write these down but you need to keep them in the safe."

Tammy logged into the website which simply asked her to upload any documents, which she did.

"All done. Oh, hang on."

"What is it?"

"It's an email from Penelope Lane, I was sent the wrong data, I'm to delete it and wait for the correct set."

"Do as she asks then, assuming it's all uploaded?"

"Yes, the last one has finished."

"Good, when you received the new set of data, upload that as well."

"Will do."

"Well done Tammy, we'll speak in a few days."

"Okay Heather, what can I say to Sarah about this?"

"Say nothing, I have a feeling things will sort themselves out. You might like to look for a new venue for the show, however, I have a feeling the Golf Club's going to need repairs to the roof."

"How would you .... never mind."

"Good girl, question everything but say nothing."

"I've got to go, bye."

"Bye, and don't forget to take the encryption card out of the phone and lock it up in the safe."

"Okay, bye."

"Goodnight Tammy."

Tammy returned her laptop to her room after ensuring everything was secured away, before going to see the others.

"Dad, mum, what do I do about the Ball?"

Richard and Joan were sat in the lounge, the telly was playing to itself in a corner and a fire was blazing in the hearth. Tammy knew which of the two vistas was the preferred one.

"Tammy dear, you know what Dr Sutherland said to you?"

"Yes, so I either let down the theatre so I can enjoy myself, with no guarantee that I'll still be awake at eight in the evening regardless, or go to the theatre and forget the evening."

"I think you just made your own decision."

"It's not as if I'll get a Valentines card either, is it, let alone a date?"

"That's a very negative attitude, young lady. I know I have to tell my own daughter to think positive but I never thought I would need to tell you?"

"But mum ..."

"It's true, you are normally a positive person."

"I just don't feel very positive right now. I'm going to bed."

"Okay, goodnight."

 
Friday 13th February
 

The tail end of the week had left Tammy tiring as she attempted more activities but she wasn't dozing during the day as much as before. Leanne had moved into her new flat on Wednesday and resumed her duties the following morning, although her duties seemed to include making a fuss of Tammy.

"It's okay Leanne, really, I don't need another coffee."

"It would be no trouble."

"Thanks, but I think I'll go over to see Elsie."

"Will you be back for lunch?"

"I have no idea."

It had been cruel of Tammy, she knew, to walk out like that, but she didn't want to be virtually bottle-fed, even if she had been sat in a onesie at the time. Driving one of the golf carts in a onesie was not a good idea so she'd abandoned that idea very quickly.

So, on Friday, she was stir-crazy and wanted to go into town, but had no transport. She contemplated calling for a taxi to collect her but didn't have any spare cash for the fare. She picked up the phone.

"Elsie, can I come over?"

"Anytime dear, but I'm just going out."

"Oh, anywhere nice?"

"Just into town for lunch, did you want to come along?"

"Could I?"

"I'll have Jonathon pick you up on the way, ten minutes."

"Thanks Elsie."

Tammy was rushed, she hadn't worn any serious makeup for over a weekand her hair really needed a tidy. She put a strip of the antibiotics pills in her bag and headed for the front door.

"I'm going into town, don't do me any lunch!" She said to no-one as she left the building.

Of course, Elsie fussed almost all the way into town.

"I'm meeting up with my lunch group at midday, you're welcome to join us."

"I'm not sure yet Elsie."

"Alright, but don't overdo it."

"I won't."

First stop was to draw some cash. Tammy was pleased to see that an ATM had now been installed inside the bank but that probably meant there would be one staff fewer on duty. She needed a few items for her new room so went looking for those, wishing she'd brought a larger shoulder bag along.

As she arrived at the hair salon the heaven opened and a torrent of rain descended, she dashed inside.

"Oh dear, are you here to shelter from that or do you really want something done?"

"Hello Sandy, a bit of a tidy up please."

"You might want to see Joanne first."

"Why?"

The 'why' was soon answered as Joanne opened the door wide, showing off the latest kit.

"It's an IPL hair remover. I qualified to use it yesterday and you'll be my guinea pig."

"I don't think I'm ready for anything, Joanne."

"Nonsense, let's make a start on your top lip and chin."

"But my hormones are getting sorted."

"That doesn't remove the hairs that are already there, but this does!"

"Okay, okay, but gentle, please."

"You'll need to wear goggles, here we go."

After fifteen minutes Joanne stopped.

"Finished?"

"Only this session, we need to do this regularly for it to be worthwhile."

"How often?"

"Once a month."

"For how long?"

"'Til Christmas, maybe, sooner if your hormones stop the new growth."

"What will I be left with?"

"That varies, because there is no such thing as permanent hair removal, but you could see an eighty percent reduction with the remainder being thinner and less noticeable than now."

"I can live with that."

"Good, let's do your legs and then you can see Sandy."

It was another hour before Tammy made it onto the street. It was near to one o'clock and she needed lunch so she dodged the raindrops and ran into the Castletown Hotel.

She could hear Elsie's group but decided to sit nearer the bar at one of the small tables. She ordered a juice and a sandwich before starting to relax. She checked her phone and found a missed call from Sarah.

"Hi, I missed a call from you."

"Where are you?"

"In the hotel, I've just arrived and ordered lunch."

"Stay there, I'll be two minutes."

Sarah took three minutes, but Tammy didn't argue.

"What's up, Sarah?"

"I just had a visit from someone asking about the fashion show."

"That's to be expected."

"But I can't tell them anything apart from what this Penny Lane told us."

"I guess not."

"She was asking about tickets but Penny said it was going to be invitation only."

"I'm sure it will sort itself out."

"I hope so, I have enough to worry about with the shop move, even if that is only to next door. How are you feeling now?"

The barman delivered Tammy's sandwich and took an order for Sarah.

"My doctor won't let me do too much, mornings or afternoons only. If I go to the theatre in the morning I can't stay with you until you close."

"Oh, I wonder if Angela is available?"

"She's needed in the theatre tomorrow morning but after that I don't know, in fact I don't know how the two of us are getting down here tomorrow? Mum and Dad haven't said anything."

"Your mum?"

"That's what I'm calling Joan now seeing as she and Angela have moved out of their cottage and we're all in our new house."

"How is the new place?"

"It's great but I'm going stir crazy, I want to get back to school but I'm signed off until after half-term."

"Will you be free next week to help?"

"If I can get down here and, as I said, only for a few hours at a time. This isn't how I envisaged things."

"No, neither me. Who's likely to be available?"

"Angela might be but I don't know what else she's planned, oh!"

"What is it?"

"I'm trying to sort out something really good for your opening ceremony and my stay in hospital has messed that up."

"Opening ceremony? You'd think it was about opening the bridge to Skye?"

"No, it's something for the press to guarantee you get coverage for free."

"I've already had a call from the Echo asking if I want advertising space."

"It might be a good idea, but hold them off until a week after you open to keep the momentum up."

"So tell me all about your plan for Thursday?"

up
452 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

hmm... mysterious things are happening ...

And Tammy really aught to take it easier. The last thing she needs is to end up back flat in a hospital bed ...

DogSig.png

I not sure, but I feel Tammy

I not sure, but I feel Tammy is possibly doing too much right now as she has just gotten out of a major surgery. Even with her Dr telling her to take it easy, she is the type of girl and personality that is considered a Type "A" and that means on the go constantly. Dosimeters eh, wonder what "Penny/Penelope" and company are looking for as those items are generally worn by individuals when working around radiation. The much, much larger ones are called Radiation Detectors and are hand held Radiation counters. All of this seems to qualify under the word "Hummmm"?

Dosimeters aren;t much use as

Brooke Erickson's picture

Dosimeters aren;t much use as radiation detectors as most can't even be read in real time (you have to have them processed)

Even the fancier ones that can be checked only show accumulated dosage, rarely dosage *rate* which is what you get with detectors.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Take it easy

I agree with Janice Lynn that Tammy needs to slow down but ignores the doctor's advice. I'm assuming Tammy is a girl of her word and has a strong sense of honor, so-o-o . . . make her give her word that she will do as she has been instructed by the doctor. Two points here: she will look bad to the others around her if she plays fast and loose with the doctor's instruction as she has up to now; and Two: this might really make her step back and think about her place in the world and what she means by honor in her own head. You gain honor in your peers' eyes by keeping your word and stepping up when things get tough. Honor can't be bought and sold, honor is given by those around her.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Heather Seems to be Expecting…

…an explosion, judging from her comment about roof damage, as opposed to a slow radiation leak or something like that. Or was she saying that the good guys planned to blow the roof off the building to forestall the terrorists' preparations?

What are their plans? Blowing the place up using a nuclear weapon -- provided you have the equipment -- with a carefully controlled invitation list on hand makes a certain amount of sense if you're a terrorist, I suppose, but the only reason I can think of to gauge radiation afterward is to know how long your operatives can survive inside in order to steal things on the premises -- and that seems to me to fall almost literally into the burn-down-the-house-to-cook-a-pig category -- it's overkill.

The other possibility that comes to my mind is that they know there's something on the premises that they need to take, but it's hidden or logistically difficult to collect and they need time to find and recover it. (Something hidden in a golfer's locker? Seems tough: besides avoiding the blast itself, the explosion would have to be big enough to damage the locks or blow the doors off, without the content being damaged beyond recognition.) Again, that seems ridiculously overblown: burglary -- taking and killing hostages if need be or simply destroying anyone in authority who attempts to interfere -- does the same job a lot more easily.

In any case, the only advantage I can see to a nuclear explosion rather than a conventional one is the object lesson that (1) the terrorists do have better weaponry than previously thought and (2) they'll do anything, "civilized" or otherwise, to accomplish their goals. There's also the point, I guess, that they'd expect it to take longer to fix everything afterward or evaluate conditions inside if only those with radiation suits could attend to cleanup.

On another note, looking over the documents over with the proverbial fine-toothed comb is all well and good, but hardly necessary to spot fraud if the total comes out 20 times higher than expected. You'd think Penny would realize that something that outrageous would probably have been spotted and reported before she could suppress it. She at least has to consider that possibility, and if Tammy's running the whole thing, it'd be tough to put her (further) out of commission in advance of the show without it being cancelled or delayed. Further, Penny has to assume that Tammy won't be the only one to be aware of that situation if it came to her attention.

Makes me wonder if the whole idea is to make this so suspicious as to act as a distraction while the terrorists do their real damage elsewhere. (And if so, whether Penny's in on it or being duped by her superiors.)

Looking forward to finding out what's really going on.

Eric

Actually, it's higher.

WillowD's picture

By Tammy's estimates the budget is 40 to 50 times higher. But then, is there any reason for Penny to expect a presumably inexperienced high school student to be able to tell? And Penny did say she sent the wrong documents. Penny probably sent the real information by mistake.

Something else suspicious is that the general public can't buy tickets to this event. I would think that no matter how many fashion industry people they want to invite to this event, their should still be enough seating left to sell hundreds of tickets to the locals. So why not?

Pace yourself

Podracer's picture

Tammy, Tasmanian devil personality? It can only be her age, and pacing yourself is a thing to learn over time. She's used to charging from one task to the next without breathing in between.
I can only think the fashion show plot involves stolen radioactive material. Very careless of "Penny" with the accounts.

"Reach for the sun."

Only If The Plot Is Blown

joannebarbarella's picture

Penny has no reason to suspect that whatever she is up to has been uncovered.. The interesting thing is that our security accountants suspected anything at all and immediately got Tammy involved, which indicates a high degree of trust.

I'm not going to second-guess our author on the significance of dosimeters other than to say I think a nuclear incident is unlikely.

Plots

shiraz's picture

Second guessing me? Keep trying!
shiraz_sig.png

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Thing Is...

…that Penny gave those financial documents to Tammy three weeks ago (Jan 18) for use in a project for a business class.

What I was trying to say before was that even if Penny wasn't expecting a serious analysis -- and I'm not sure why she wasn't -- it wouldn't have taken any more than a glance for Tammy to have seen that a £25,000 project was coming in at £1,000,000. It doesn't require a forensic accountant to see a discrepancy there. So it seems to me that Penny has to wonder, even as she's sending Tammy more reasonable figures, whether there's been any reaction to the originals -- assuming, as I think we safely can, that there's something here she needed to hide. (Unless Penny's actually a double agent of some sort and she intended to leak the original and call someone's attention to it by replacing it now -- but I think Occam's Razor would have something to say about that.)

Eric

Crash is coming!

Jamie Lee's picture

First Alison tells Tammy to slow down. Then Dr. Sutherland tells her she's high strung and stressed. Then the infection knocks her on her butt, causing emergency surgery to be performed. And that doctor tells her to take it easy. Then she sees Adi again and is told to limit her activities to one activity in the morning or afternoon. Going into town counts as one activity, and talking to Sarah about the new shop counts as activity number two.

Now comes the analysis of the fashion show data, counting as an activity. Why did Heather have Tammy review the data instead of sending it to her? A test of her abilities? Maybe Heather doesn't understand requirements of that type of event? Still, Tammy is winding up to her previous level of activities, and it will catch up to her. She is going to have another crash.

Others have feelings too.