Mike and Ashley, Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
Mike and Ashley, Chapter 7 of 9

By Portia Bennett

Introduction: Two people couldn’t be more in love. With Ashley’s help they form a plan and put it into effect. Ashley and Mike are finally alone together. Need we ask? Caitriona realizes they are only putting off the inevitable.

The story is not mine. It is based on a very old tale that might have been part of English/Irish lore, it might be French or German. It might even be Persian in origin. I’ll leave it to you to try to figure out what tale it is. If you think you know, PM me. Don’t spoil it for others.

Although there are characters from other stories who make brief appearances, this is a stand-alone story.


 

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Mike and Ashley

 

Chapter 7

Carlo was waiting for them when the Finlayson van pulled up to the dock. He uttered a subdued whistle as he caught sight of Ashley. She was dressed appropriately for a summer cruise: shorts, light weight blouse, and wide brimmed bonnet. The three figuratively breathed a sigh of relief as it was apparent Carlo didn’t recognize Ashley.

The two crew members, Giuseppe and Ruggeri, loaded the sizable trousseau and other baggage. Mike made sure that Ashley and Caitriona were settled. Damn, he still wanted to call her Ash. That could be a woman’s name couldn’t it? He’d have to talk to her about that. He’d been formulating his plan since the moment he knew that things were fine between him and Ashley; actually, more than fine.

The boat’s larder was well stocked. He’d checked that out before they’d left Long Island. The fuel tanks had been topped off as he’d asked. Everything looked fine. The problem was what to do with Carlo, Giuseppe, and Ruggeri. He wasn’t that concerned about the latter two. It was Carlo who concerned him. He realized now that Carlo had gone completely over to the other side. Unfortunately, Carlo was entering the bridge with a beer in hand.

“As sick as you got yesterday drinking alcohol probably won’t help you a bit.”

“Mind your own fucking business. I’ll drink what I want and when I want it. You just get this boat back to New York with that broad. Jesus, she’s good looking. Too bad your old man can’t get it up anymore. I wonder how he’s going to keep her happy.”

“I’d suggest you stay as far away from her as possible.”

“Why, so you can get some of that before your old man does?”

“Just stay away from her.”

“I’m scared, I’m real scared. You’d better watch your back. That’s all I have to say.”

That’s when Mike realized that Carlo was already drunk. He was going to be miserable once they passed Cape Cod. That might work in their favor. The two crewmen were another problem. He’d known them for years. They were trustworthy and hard workers; however, he didn’t think he could trust them if he put his plan into effect.

They cast off and headed east. It would be about two hours before they passed the cape. Hopefully, Carlo wouldn’t realize that he was not turning south when he should. If he did question the course they were taking, he hoped he’d be able to BS him until it was time to do what he needed to do.

“Carlo, would you ask Miss Finlayson and her aunt to come up here. I need to go over the safety rules. That’s the same stuff we went over yesterday, so you don’t need to stay.”

“I’ll get ‘em. That’s a bunch of BS anyway.”

Five minutes later Ashley and Caitriona were in the bridge. It was starting to get a bit rough, and Carlo headed for his cabin. He was starting to look a little green around the gills.

“Do either of you have any problem with sea sickness?” Mike asked.

“I don’t know,” Ashley said. “I’ve never been out in the ocean before.”

“How do you feel right now?”

“I’m fine.”

“Trina, any problem.”

“No. If anyone has a problem, I have something that will help prevent the nausea.”

“What else do you have in that bag of tricks of yours? Do you have anything that would put someone to sleep for a while?”

“Certainly, do you want pills or injections?”

“Carlo is going to get very seasick. He was miserable coming up here, and it was really pretty smooth. I’m going to take the boat out a ways. The weather's changed a bit since yesterday, and it’s going to get rough. I’ve seen people who get very seasick. I want him begging for medication. I don’t want this to boil down to a fight. If we can knock him out, I want to put him in one of the life boats along with Giuseppe and Ruggeri.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Ashley said. “If and when they’re picked up, they’ll tell authorities that we dumped them. They’ll come after us no matter where we are. I think a better idea would be to make Carlo so mad that he won’t want to tell the authorities what happened to him. He’ll want to get even personally.

“I watched him for almost a year. And that’s the way I feel he’ll react. He probably won’t even wait for your father. That would give us time to disappear, or at least build up a defense.

“How much cash is available?”

“Fifteen, twenty thousand, why.”

“What if you bribed Giuseppe and Ruggeri? Pay them ten grand apiece, with the promise to double it, to try to convince Carlo not to tell the authorities what really happened. Get him to say that they were testing the life boat, the engine quit, and they drifted out to sea. Convince them to tell the authorities the yacht is in dry dock. They, the authorities, might not look for us if Carlo wants to get even on his own. You could get the name of the boat changed. Have it repainted. I’ll bet we could find someone to do it. Once we did that, we could disappear, sell the boat, buy a new one, and get on with our lives.”

“I think I like the way you think. Who would have thought that such a beautiful woman would come up with such a plan?”

“You have to remember who my father is. I’ve had a good instructor.”

Carlo didn’t show up for dinner. Pretending to be the concerned medical professionals, they weren’t really pretending, Caitriona and Ashley knocked on Carlo’s cabin door. They could hear him moaning. He groaned something that sounded like “Come in.”

“Mr. Bergonzi, I have something that will make you feel better if you want.”

The cabin smelled of vomit. Fortunately, it all went into the plastic lined waste basket.

“I’m dying. Please, anything. Just make this go away. Get me to land.”

“Hold still. This might sting a bit.” Ashley swabbed his arm, and proceeded to empty a syringe into it.

“You will be fine in just a little while,” Caitriona said as they closed the door.

Meanwhile, Mike was explaining to the two hands what he needed them to do. The promise of another ten thousand dollars each when it was all over was all they needed to know. The fact they weren’t particularly fond of Carlo made it just that much easier.

They loaded ample provisions for a week on the boat. There was a good supply of wine and beer included. They put water in the fuel tank and ran the engine until it ground to a halt. There were strict instructions not to use the radio beacon until twelve hours had passed. They would monitor the frequency to make sure they didn’t. If they did operate it early, the additional money would not be paid.

They loaded the unconscious Carlo into the boat, the two crew members pushed the life boat away from the yacht. Giuseppe and Ruggeri waved as the yacht powered up and disappeared to the southeast.

“I like the Signore and Signorina. They are so in love with each other. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won’t. Let’s hope that it does. I would like to get that money. Do you think it will work, Giuseppe?”

“I hope it does. Let’s open up the wine.”

Caitriona said goodnight. Ashley returned to her cabin to clean up before retiring. Mike made sure everything was ship shape. He’d plotted a course into the GPS, set the LORAN to alarm if anything got within five miles, and retired to his cabin and shower.

As he readied the bed, there was a light tapping at his door. His heart skipped a beat. She was there and she was so beautiful. She might as well have not been wearing anything, but the nearly transparent gown seemed to accentuate the beauty not hidden beneath.”

“Would you please come out here?”

“Er, okay.” Mike complied. His eyes never left hers.

“Now, pick me up and take me to your bed.”

Mike didn’t have to be asked twice. He gently picked her up and just as gently carried her through the door, shutting it behind him. He gently placed her on the bed before removing his shorts.

She smiled at what she saw. She’d always wondered how he’d react, and now she knew she’d never have to worry about a thing.

“Please make love to me, my husband.”

Across the narrow passage, in her own cabin, Caitriona smiled through her tears of happiness as she heard the sounds of passion and love. The sudden louder feminine gasps, almost sobs, were all she needed to know. This was right. It wasn’t going to be easy, but it was right.

************************

“Are you okay,” he asked. Ashley’s head was on his chest, her right breast flatted against his abdomen, her left breast gently being held in his right hand; his thumb and forefinger gently caressing her nipple.

“You have to ask?

“I’ve wanted this for a long time. I was never sure it would happen, though. I was accused of many things while I was in school before I had my surgery, and it got even worse after I went to work at the hospital. No one in college was aware of my physical abnormalities. No one at the hospital was aware of my transition. I was hit on daily, but I never accepted any invitations. I knew I was a woman before I had the surgery, and now I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever.

“The thing was that no one interested me. There was only one man I wanted to be with. I began to realize it during my period of transition. That night we found you being robbed hurt so much because I thought I might have lost you before I even found you. I had my surgery two weeks later.

“Then my father sold me to your father. I know why he did it, but I decided to kill myself rather than go through with the marriage. I had no idea you were the one being sent to take me and Trina to New York. I was angry about your indifference. Of course, I know why, now. Thank God, father had Trina take care of me. She is so wise.

“So, where are we going?”

“Bermuda. We can hide out at St. George for a while. I’m going to have to figure out where to go from there. I don’t think Africa is an option at this time. Central America; maybe Costa Rica would work. The Caribbean might have a good spot. There are some great spots in the Mediterranean, too.

“We won’t be able to hide forever; probably a week at most. When we get to St. George we’ll have to clear Immigration and Pass Port Control. That’s the only port where a private yacht may enter. That shouldn’t be a problem other than there will be an official record of our arrival. There are ports where we could sneak into a country. Officials can be bribed. The problem is the places I’m aware of are the first places Dad will look for us. I’m sure he’ll come looking with a vengeance.”

“Then, let’s make the best of the time we have. I love you so much.

It was better the second time.

Mike waited until Ashley was asleep before going back to the bridge to check on things. At their current speed they would be arriving at St. George late in the next evening. He’d call the port authority before anchoring on the lee side of the island. He’d move into the port the next morning. Hopefully there would be a slip available.

He wasn’t as worried about what his father would do as he was about Carlo. When Carlo realized what had happened, he would come after Mike like a rabid dog.

Then there was the problem with Ashley. Carlo had been befuddled by her beauty; however, it wouldn’t be long before he’d put two and two together, and come up with Ashley. Carlo may be a loose cannon, but he wasn’t stupid. Of course, his father would have to be told about Ashley’s origin. That would certainly be interesting – if it ever got to that point.

Then there was another problem. There were several fire arms on board. They were strictly illegal in Bermuda. He would have to tell the authorities about them. If he didn’t, and they found them, it was jail, two to ten years. The authorities would lock and seal the gun cabinet. They might even confiscate the guns and return them when they left. As far as Mike knew, the guns were legal. When international travel was involved it didn’t pay to have illegal drugs or fire arms in your possession.

He was pretty sure the authorities had dealt with this in the past. He was certain that other visiting ships had arms aboard. He would just be honest with the authorities.

Checking the navigation and engine readings once again, he returned to the cabin. Ashley was stretched out on her side of the bed. It would always be her side he realized. She was so pretty. Her bright red hair, narrow hips, full bust, and pale skin. She’d have to watch her exposure to the sun.

“Anything wrong?”

“Not yet, but it might get interesting in a day or two.”

“Come here and hug me. Tomorrow is another day.”

________________________________________________________________

So far, so good, but it can’t last. They have several very pleasant days, but that comes crashing to a halt. Carlo shows up and he is really pissed off.

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Problems ahead

I can't see how they can get out of this without murder. Or maybe not?

Gwen

Tommorow is another day.

littlerocksilver's picture

It's not going to be easy, whatever happens. I imagine somebody, or maybe more, will die.

Portia

Can we only hope that Trina

Can we only hope that Trina has another "magical" elixer contained in her bag? Maybe one that will put Carlo out for about a week, at which time they can be gone, gone, gone. Fascinating story thus far and I am really looking forward to the next chapter/s. Janice

Trouble ahead, trouble behind

gillian1968's picture

But things are getting very interesting.
Another good chapter.

Gillian Cairns