The Protector: Assorted Sweets

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:
Federal Agent Ally Burns, a preop TS, is back in her latest
adventure, coping with running an enlarged department, helping a male
agent go deep undercover as a TS, trying to help her friends, and
solving some problems in her own life.

Story:

The Protector: Assorted Sweets
By
Julie O

 

Edited by Amelia R.

 

 
The continuing adventures of Ally Burns, Federal Agent.
Features characters from Change of Course and Turbulence.
Angel courtesy of Tyrone Slothrop
 

 

 

Chapter 1

Special Agent Ally Burns sat nervously in the Director’s office. She wondered why she was here, as none of her section’s present cases were controversial. She knew whatever the reason, it was important, as he only brought agents into his office for serious matters.

The Director was reading a report and, other than a brief nod, he had barely acknowledged Ally’s presence. She knew better than to initiate the conversation with him; it just wasn’t done.

She fought the urge to rub her right shoulder. It had become a nervous habit, and she sometimes found herself rubbing it even when it didn’t ache.

He closed the file and took off his reading glasses. Without looking, he reached over and picked up his coffee mug. It was a simple sturdy white ceramic mug with the yellow shield of the 7th Cavalry emblazoned on it. He took a sip of his coffee and set the mug down.

“I have a special assignment that I would appreciate your assistance on,” he stated.

Ally was shocked and tried not to show it. He wasn’t ordering her on an assignment, rather he was actually asking her!

She just nodded and waited for him to continue.

“As you know, I’ve treated you as I would any other agent. I am well aware that you are dealing with some medical issues, including some surgery this fall, but that is your concern. It has given you a special insight that has helped us on several cases.”

Ally nodded again. She owed much to the Director for giving her a chance as an agent. When she’d told the Agency she was transgendered, there were those who weren’t pleased. However, the Director had given her the chance to prove herself. Presently she was the head of four regional offices that fought Internet sex crimes, and one of the youngest department heads in Agency history. She knew that there was some flak over her assignment to the position, some based on her age and experience, and some based on the fact that she was a pre-op male-to-female transsexual. She also knew that the Director had a personal interest in her career.

“We need you to help an agent go into a deep undercover operation. It will require you to teach him how to dress and act as a woman,” continued the Director. “The undercover agent will be portraying a transsexual.”

Ally sat up and started to open her mouth.

“Before you say a word, Agent Burns, the answer is no. The agent for the assignment has already been selected. Besides, I can’t afford to have one of my better department heads out of the office for several months, if not longer.”

Ally smiled slightly and nodded again. “What do you want me to do?”

“You have a two o’clock meeting with Robert Ledyard in Briefing Room X-ray. He’ll give you the details.”

This was another surprise, as Briefing Room X-ray was the most secure room at the Agency.

“I understand that this is the highest security, sir,” stated Ally.

He just nodded as he sipped his coffee. “Thank you, Agent Burns.”

Ally knew this was the signal for her to leave. As she walked back to her office, she realized that he had called her one of his better department heads.

Chapter 2

She arrived outside of the briefing room. The agent at the desk asked for her identification and directed her to the retinal eye scan machine. In spite of the perceived overkill, Ally was enjoying the process. She still enjoyed the more James Bondish aspects of her job.

“Thank you, Agent Burns, you may proceed in now,” stated the desk agent.

Ally nodded. The man looked familiar; she then remembered him. He had been on Steve’s Spec-Ops team until he was injured. “Thank you, Agent Peterson.”

He smiled slightly at the fact that Allie remembered his name.

Ally walked inside and was greeted by Robert Ledyard, her direct supervisor.

“Welcome to X-ray, Ally,” he greeted.

The room didn’t look special. Yes, it had video monitors and computer consoles, but didn’t look any different than any of the other Agency briefing rooms. Allie knew that it was the room’s construction that made it so special. It was as secure as possible and was constantly being upgraded. Rumor was that the latest security chief got his job by finding a breach in the room’s security.

“Thanks, Robert. Just one question; why X-Ray?”

“Rumor has it the Director personally named it after a landing zone he fought in during Viet Nam.”

“Oh. So, when does the brief start?”

“Have a seat, you’re going to be here for a while,” offered Robert.

Ally sat down. Robert walked over to a small fridge and pulled out a Diet Coke. He then handed Allie the soda.

“Thank you,” replied Ally. Her addiction to Diet Coke was well known among her peers.

Robert poured himself a cup of coffee and sat down across from her. He then handed her a file.

“Read this, and then I’ll answer any questions you might have,” stated Robert.

Allie opened the file and began to read.

The mission was to infiltrate the office of a man suspected of running an international sex slavery ring. Outwardly, Loren Gabriel was a well-respected and squeaky-clean importer of electronics. However, the agency had been given information that connected him to people known to be involved in the white-slave trade, both here and abroad.

Ally knew all too well that slavery was far from being extinct. One of the most lucrative segments involved the importation of young women to work in the sex trade. Some were sold to rich clients for their personal use, but most ended up as bargirls and prostitutes. Loren was suspected of providing the transportation side of the organization. He was also suspected of bringing in girls and boys as young as eight.

So far, there was no hard evidence to link him to the trade, but apparently the Agency had received some documents that tied Loren to several international criminals.

Ally read the biography of Loren. He was born in Simi Valley in a middle class family. He went to college and studied computer science and business. By the age of twenty-five, he was a millionaire. Sensing the changing winds of business, he’d pulled out of the dotcom industry and escaped with his money. He’d opened an import-export business out of LA.

He was the only child of Max and Anita Gabriel of Los Angeles. A twin had died two days after birth. Ally noticed that the mother suffered from depression following the death of the twin, and was institutionalized several times. Both his parents were now deceased.

Ally studied the photos of Loren. He just oozed arrogance, she thought. He was handsome, clean-shaven, and had short black hair and a well-groomed goatee and mustache. There was one surveillance photo taken at a party in Hollywood. He was wearing an expensive Italian suit and a Rolex. Ally figured the watch cost more than her new car.

“Those photos are a few weeks old. Here’s the latest, he’s recently shaved off the goatee and mustache,” stated Robert.

Ally stared at the new photo, he still looks arrogant she thought.

The report stated that he was five-eight and weighed one-hundred and fifty pounds. His hobbies included martial-arts and surfing. He was also an avid theatergoer and was fond of gourmet dinners and fine wine. He was a regular in the top restaurants of Southern California.

Then Ally saw why she was involved; Loren appeared to have a preference pre-op transsexuals and crossdressers. According to surveillance, he often disguised himself and picked up dates at the Queen Mary, a famous transgendered nightclub in Studio City.

He was also known to frequent transgendered chatrooms.

“How do we know about the chatrooms?” asked Ally.

Robert’s left eyebrow raised.

“Oh. Let me guess, we either had someone in Loren’s inner circle or we got information about him by some means,” replied Ally.

“Sorry, Ally, I can’t even deny your accusations,” replied Robert.

Ally laughed. “I really love this spy stuff!”

Robert shrugged his shoulders. “That may be, but it’s still beyond your need to know.”

She closed the file and turned to Robert. “Okay, what do you need?”

“We’re going to try to get an undercover agent into his office. We know that his company does an extensive background check on new employees. Their head of security used to work for the Defense Investigative Service, and he did checks for military security clearances. We also know that the background checks go beyond simple police records -- way beyond their job description. Apparently, Loren likes to know everything about his workers. Rumor has it he uses their secrets to blackmail them. It creates a very special form of company loyalty.”

“In what way?”

“There have been several criminal investigations of Loren’s companies. Whenever they get close to making some headway, some minor employee will come forward and take the blame. The worker usually brings more than enough evidence to incriminate him or her. Even when they are offered a deal to provide testimony, they refuse and admit that they’re the guilty one.”

Ally nodded.

“It’s pretty obvious that they’re more afraid of something else besides imprisonment. In two cases, the accused committed suicide.”

“So, you’re hoping that they’ll find out that our agent is transgendered?”

Robert nodded.

“And that Loren will be romantically interested?”

Robert nodded again. “Rumor has it that he once had a secretary who was transgendered.”

“Do we know what his sexual preferences are?”

“What do you mean?” asked Robert.

“According to the file, he’s dated both transsexuals and crossdressers. Does he have a preference?”

Robert hesitated with his answer.

“Robert, you’re not going to embarrass me,” interjected Ally as she sipped her soda.

Robert smiled back. “Okay, he likes them functional.”

“Okay, then we should make our plant a crossdresser, or a very closeted transsexual. He probably wouldn’t be too interested in a person like me,” explained Ally. “That way, the agent doesn’t have to be on hormones either.”

Robert took out a pad and began to write.

“How does the agent feel about the idea of becoming… close to Loren?” asked Ally.

“He’s willing to do what it takes to get him,” replied Robert.

“What are you hoping for?” asked Ally.

“Infiltration into Loren’s office, access to records and computers, and maybe more,” replied Robert.

“Sounds like a long-term mission.”

Robert nodded. “He’s just coming off a break. His last mission lasted three years.”

“Three years undercover?” asked a shocked Ally.

“Yes.”

“I can’t wait to meet him,” replied Ally.

“Now, part of what you’ll be training him on is how to dress, do makeup, things like that. But more importantly, you can give him insight.”

“Of course,” replied Ally. “I suggest that we have ‘her’ start to appear in the same chat rooms that Loren frequents. I can train her on the terminology and coach her as she establishes herself. Also, we should have her start making purchases from online companies for her clothing. How soon does ‘she’ need to go in?”

“As soon as possible, is a month too soon?”

“No, but we’ll make do. I’d like more time to establish her identity, but beggars can’t be choosy. How fast of a learner is this person?”

“Extremely fast. He became fluent in Italian in less than three months.”

Ally let out a low whistle. “When do I meet my student?”

Robert looked at his watch. “Five minutes.”

Chapter 3

Just on time the door to the briefing room opened and a young man walked in. What struck Ally was how ordinary he looked. While he was pleasant looking, he was without any really distinguishing features. He had the type of look that would allow him to escape most people’s notice, a wonderful trait for an undercover agent. She estimated that he was five-nine and thin in an athletic sort of way. He had light brown hair and hazel eyes. She also noticed that he had very little facial hair; this would be helpful in his transformation.

“Ally, this is Tyler Brown,” stated Robert as he introduced the young man to her.

“Pleased to meet you,” she stated with a smile.

“The honor is all mine. I’ve heard so much about you, Ally,” replied Tyler.

They sat down at the table.

Tyler handed Ally a folder.

“This is my biography for my undercover role,” explained Tyler.

Ally nodded as she opened the folder. The Agency maintained an inventory of undercover roles that could be activated and used at a moment’s notice. This gave the undercover agent an immediate history that could be verified. Everything from tax records to credit card records actually existed, all was needed was an actual person to fill the role. Ally found it amusing to know that there were hundreds of these ghosts all over America.

Once the agent assumed the character, a whole supporting cast was also activated. If someone decided to check on the agent’s history, they would end up talking to real people. These were mostly retired agents or associates who ran legitimate businesses. Some owned apartment complexes and this allowed for establishing a residency history.

Ally knew that the process they used to create backgrounds was extremely detailed. She had talked to them in helping her department create realistic bait teens they used to hunt sexual predators. In fact, they had helped her department create dozens of teen histories. They were much more detailed than anything that Ally had previously created.

She read the file. Tyler would become Sean Thomas Martin, aged twenty-five, of Philadelphia, and a recent graduate from Penn State University. Ally knew that they picked common names, big cities, and large universities to make checking on the background more difficult. In fact, the file noted that there were presently six Sean Martins in the Penn State database.

“Do you think this will work?”

Ally nodded. “I like the fact that you’re from the east coast. It’ll fit in well with your growing exploration of being transgendered. You won’t have to worry about running into friends and family out in LA.”

Tyler nodded. “I’ve been doing some research on that sort of … stuff.”

Ally smiled at his choice of words. “I think it would be best if you assumed the role of either a crossdresser with bisexual feelings, or a transsexual who is partly in denial about their feelings. From what I’ve read about Loren, he seems to like those sorts best. It’ll also be easier to cover up any mistakes you might make as being new and inexperienced.”

Tyler nodded as he listened intently.

“I’ve been told that I have a month to get you trained. Now, according to your folder, Sean is living in Philadelphia. We’ll need to set up a computer for your use that can be traced back to Philly. This won’t be hard, as we do it all the time in my department.”

“Computer? For what?” asked Tyler.

“My dear Sean, you need to establish your feminine side to the world. This will involve shopping, chat rooms, and other things,” replied Ally. “Also, you need to be up on everything in Philly.”

“I’m already onto that, I get the Inquirer and Daily News every day,” replied Tyler. “I’ve also driven up for a Phillies game to learn how to boo.”

Ally snickered. “I know that you’ll have that covered, and I’m not worried about that. However, you need to know about the TG community in Philly. Even if your character isn’t out, he would know the groups.”

Tyler nodded.

“We’ll set up the computer in one of the secure rooms; the less people who come in contact with Tyler the better,” interjected Robert.

“We’ll also have to define your TG interests to attract Loren’s interest,” continued Ally.

Tyler cocked his head and stared at Ally. “Like what?”

“We want to create a look that will attract Loren. Just the fact that you’re TG may not be enough to gain his interest.”

Tyler nodded. “I think I know what you’re driving at. I’ve had access to more detailed files about Loren, and according to them he likes his women to dress sexy even when at work. For instance, he had his last secretary wear tailored suits with short skirts, silk blouses and high heels. From what I read, he was pretty adamant about it.”

“What else?” asked Ally nodding.

“According to one report, he loves to have his dates dress in leather. Apparently, he has outfits created especially for them, nothing off the shelf, but made to fit them like a glove.”

“That’s good to know. We’ll have to dress you up in some similar sorts of outfits. We’ll take photos that you can post with your profile online,” stated Ally. “In addition to the chatrooms, we’ll have you post comments at various TG related fiction sites. It’ll help to leave an electronic trace for Loren to find.”

“Why?” asked Tyler.

“Think of it as sweetening the pot,” replied Ally. A sly smile grew on her face. “We do a similar version of this when we’re hunting a specific online predator.”

“From what I’ve heard, you’re pretty good at it,” replied Tyler.

“Well, I’ll leave you two to work out the details. Just a reminder, be careful discussing this case outside of a secure space,” stated Robert as he stood up.

For the next hour, Ally and Tyler discussed the person that he was about to become.

“Okay, the first thing we need is a female name for your alter ego,” stated Ally. “Do you have any preferences?”

Tyler shook his head.

“Okay, let’s do some brainstorming. Many pick a name that is similar to their male name or at least starting with the same letter. I’ve heard of a few women named Sean, but let’s go for something more distinctively feminine,” stated Ally. She then began to write some names down on her notepad.

Tyler studied the names and added a few of his own to the list. They eventually narrowed it down to three names, Sandra, Sara, and Sherri.”

“I like Sherri, it has a nice ring to it,” stated Tyler.

“Okay, Sherri it is!” replied Ally.

“Can I ask you something personal?” asked Tyler.

Ally smiled back. “Within reason.”

“Did you always go by Ally?”

Ally shook her head.

“Then what did you first use?”

“Alice. As a kid, I fell in love with the cartoon version of Alice in Wonderland. Actually, it was the dress she was wearing,” replied Ally with a grin.

Tyler nodded, picturing the character in his mind.

“Okay, now back to Sherri. We need to get her online and into the chatrooms as soon as possible,” continued Ally.

“But shouldn’t we have photos first?”

Ally shook her head. “If someone asks for a photo, tell them that you haven’t any scanned yet. We’ll have some photos taken this week. Oh, I’ll need your measurements.”

“Do you want to take them, or can I just give them to you?”

“For now, just give them to me. For your early photos, it’ll look more realistic if your clothes aren’t fitting perfectly.”

Tyler nodded. “Oh, that makes sense.”

“Now, I’m going to give you some reading to do before you go online. While Sherri may be new to the scene, we don’t want her to act uninformed and ignorant. From what I’ve read about Loren, I don’t think he likes bimbos. He likes them to dress risqué, but to still have a brain.”

“Okay, that sounds good.”

Ally wrote out the website addresses for Tyler.

“These will give you a good start. Also, does Sean have an e-mail address yet?”

Tyler nodded. He smiled at the way Ally referred to Sean and Sherri as separate people.

“Okay, then we need to set up one for Sherri too. This will be the one you’ll use to order things online and do all your chatting on.”

“Sean’s ISP allows for multiple names, so that won’t be a problem.”

Ally nodded.

“Anything else today?” asked Tyler.

Ally shook her head. “I’ll meet you tomorrow, and we’ll get you started online.”

“I can’t wait!” replied Tyler. ‘Oh, don’t worry; I’ll do my homework tonight.”

“Now can I ask you something personal?” she asked.

Tyler nodded.

“How do you do it? I mean going into undercover for so long at a time?”

“I guess I’m a frustrated actor,” he replied.

“What about your life outside of the Agency?”

Tyler shrugged his shoulders. “I really don’t have much of one. I don’t have a real family; I was mostly raised in foster homes.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to pry.”

“It’s okay, Ally. My father was killed when I was seven. He was dealing drugs, among other things, and pissed off the wrong guys. He was found in a junkyard with two bullets in his head. A year later, my mother dropped me off at school one day and never returned. I was eight. I later heard she was arrested and ended up doing six years in a federal lockup for smuggling drugs. None of my loving relatives wanted me, so I became a ward of the state. I bounced around for a while and ended up spending my last few years in the system with an older couple. They were retired from the stage, and they taught me how to act. They were the closest thing I’ve had to a real family.”

“Do you keep in touch with them?”

Tyler shook his head. “They’re both dead. I owe them a lot as they put me through college.”

Ally nodded.

“Anyway, I went into law enforcement after college because I didn’t want to be like my real parents. I also found that all the moving around from one home to another as I grew up taught me how to adapt quickly. Combined with my acting skills, undercover work just came naturally.”

Ally nodded. “While I didn’t have your harsh childhood, I also liked undercover work when I was a cop.”

“It allowed you to cover up the fact that you were different, right?”

Ally nodded again.

“Me too.”

Ally found that she was learning to really like Tyler. “Still, it must be difficult not having any roots.”

“This is my last mission. After this one, I’m going back to college, and after that I want to teach undercover techniques to new agents.”

“Sounds nice.”

“But that’s a long way off. This mission might last a few years,” he stated.

“How do you feel about that? I mean this role may call for some rather unusual things for you to do,” asked Ally.

“It couldn’t be worse that doing cocaine,” he replied.

Ally stared back and tried to decide if he was joking or not.

“My last undercover tour was with the mob. If I didn’t take the drugs, it would have seemed strange,” continued Tyler. “Part of my time off was to go through rehab.”

“You really throw yourself into your roles.”

“I do what it takes it get the bad guys.”

Ally felt a sudden twinge of pain in her right shoulder, her constant reminder that she also went to extremes to get the bad guys.

“I’ll see you tomorrow. I should have a couple of outfits for you to try on. Oh, you should start shaving your legs, underarms and the rest of your body hair,” stated Ally. “Have you ever done that before?”

Tyler shook her head.

“Okay, take a long hot bath first. Then do a small section at a time. You can use your regular male razor, but use new blades. Use shaving cream and take your time.”

“What about using a hair removal product?”

“I wouldn’t. They sometimes cause a reaction, especially on the chest and underarms. Eventually, you might think about getting your legs waxed.”

“Ouch!”

Ally shook her head and laughed. “It’s not that bad. The sound is worse than it feels. After a few times, the hair just about falls out,” replied Ally.

“Okay, looks like I have a busy evening reading transgendered websites and shaving my body. Oh, what about… well, you know, between the legs?”

Ally smiled back. “Trim as you see fit, just be careful.”

Tyler laughed. “Oh, I’ll be careful!”

Chapter 4

Ally pulled into the driveway of the townhouse. She had just spent the last two hours shopping for Sherri. Thanks to the many undercover missions that her department did, Ally knew of several shops that were helpful in transforming men into women. Most were regular women’s shops that had a sizable TG clientele. There was also a wig shop that Ally’s department used regularly.

In a few hours, she had acquired a good starting wardrobe for Sherri, including makeup and several wigs of various styles and lengths. She went less for mainstream styles and more for sexy “big hair” styles, based on the persona that they were creating for Sherri. Although she did buy one wig that had a short professional look, this would be used for the bait photo of Sherri in a business suit. The other wigs would be useful in creating a series of photos that would be posted online.

She opened the garage door and pulled into her spot. It was a lovely spring evening and winter was becoming a distant memory. Soon it would be light enough when she got home for her and Carol to go for walks again.

As Ally entered the townhouse from the garage, a pair of eyes watched her every move. The assailant was waiting for the right moment to strike, having picked her ambush location the instant she had heard Ally’s car arrive. Watching with the patience of a true assassin, she waited until Ally’s back was turned. Then, with great stealth, she made her move. In a flash she attacked; Ally never heard her coming until it was too late.

“There you are, Bogie!” cooed Ally as she bent down and scooped up the black and white kitten that had playfully attacked her ankles. “How’re you this evening?”

They had adopted Bogie a few weeks earlier from Michelle. They’d named her after Humphrey Bogart, as Michelle had told them the kitten was male. Carol joked that a gender confused kitten would fit right in with the rest of their little family, so the name stuck.

Ally rubbed the kitten’s chin and was rewarded with a loud comforting purr.

Even though they had had the kitten for a few weeks, it was hard to imagine life without her. Ally held the little ball of fur against her chest and smiled.

Carol walked in smiled. “Where did the attack come from today?”

“Under the kitchen table,” replied Ally.

Carol walked over and kissed Ally and then reached down to pet the kitten.

“It’s too bad that Bogie doesn’t get any attention,” Carol stated sarcastically.

“Yes, I know. Poor ignored kitten!” Ally held Bogie up to her face who was purring loudly.

“With the way she attacks us each evening, we should have named her Cato,” replied Carol, referring to Inspector Clouseau’s servant.

“That’s true, but I still like Bogie.”

“I have some interesting news,” stated Carol. “I have to go out of town for a few weeks.”

“The meth labs investigation?” asked Ally.

Carol nodded.

“When?” asked Ally as she continued to snuggle Bogie.

“Don’t have a date yet, but it’ll be sometime next month or so.”

“Where will you be going?”

“Part of the trip will be in your old stomping grounds, just outside LA. We’ll also be going to Texas and Arizona.”

Ally nodded.

“We’ll be helping the locals in detecting locations for the labs. Hopefully, we can put a dent into the production of that poison,” continued Carol.

“At least it’s important. I’d hate for us to be separated for something trivial.”

Carol leaned over and kissed Ally again.

“Why don’t you put the fuzz ball down and select a wine for dinner?” suggested Carol.

“What’re we having?” asked Ally as she set Bogie down on the floor. The kitten immediately scampered off on some urgent matter.

“Parmesan-Dijon chicken breasts,” replied Carol as she began to rummage through the fridge.

“Hmmm, I love that. Still, it will cost me an extra few laps at the gym to work it off,” replied Ally as she debated the wine selection.

“I know, but it’s so good,” stated Carol as she began to place the ingredients on the counter. She set the Parmesan cheese next to the butter, mustard, breadcrumbs, and chicken breasts. “Ally, could you set the oven to five hundred please? It’s that little knob with the numbers on it.”

“I know that! I may not be a chef, but I know how to turn the oven on. Now which one is the oven again?” asked Ally with a grin.

“You’re lucky that you’re so adorable, or I’d have dumped you a long time ago,” replied Carol with a wink, as she pulled a baking pan out.

Along with the chicken, Carol prepared some risotto, and a tossed green salad.

“How about Pinot Grigio?” asked Ally, as she held out the bottle.

“Great choice, as always. Oh, can you put something on the stereo?”

Ally nodded and selected a few CDs for the player. Soon Sting’s voice was filling the townhouse.

“How long until dinner is ready?” asked Ally, as she poured some kitten chow in Bogie’s bowl.

“It only takes fifteen minutes for the chicken to cook,” answered Carol as she poured the ingredients into a bowl. “Oh, check the fridge. Is there any of that white wine left from the other night? I need it for the recipe.”

Ally checked the fridge and handed Carol the bottle. “Not one of the better wines we’ve bought.”

“It’s still good for cooking,” replied Carol, as she poured three tablespoons into the bowl with the mustard.

She then placed the Parmesan cheese with some melted butter into another bowl, along with the breadcrumbs. She then dipped each chicken breast into the mustard-wine bowl before coating them with the cheese and breadcrumbs.

Ally went upstairs to change and, by the time she came down to set the table, the chicken was cooking.

“Oh, that smells wonderful,” commented as she walked back into the kitchen.

Carol smiled. “Keep an eye on the risotto and chicken, I’m going up to change.”

“You sure you trust me?”

Carol shook her head. “It was either you or Bogie, and she’s too small to get to the controls.”

Over dinner Ally and Carol discussed their day. Ally didn’t tell Carol the specifics of the mission, just that she was training an agent to portray a transgendered person.

“How do you feel about that?” asked Carol.

“It’s in the line of duty. Besides, I do have the necessary experience. I also know Robert wouldn’t use me,” replied Ally as she sipped her wine.

“True. On a related note, have you put in for your leave of absence yet?”

Ally nodded. “Robert said that there shouldn’t be any problems. Besides, the surgery isn’t until September at the earliest.”

“That’s true, but you need to give them time. It isn’t just the surgery, it’s the recovery period. You won’t be able to go back to work for a while.”

“I know, I feel sort of guilty about that. Am I being selfish? I mean I’m a department head now, and after all this is elective surgery….”

Carol cocked her head and stared into Ally’s eyes. She reached over and took Ally’s hand in hers.

“It’s not elective surgery. You’re not being selfish. You want to be whole, and I want you to be happy. Is that clear?”

Ally smiled back. “Crystal.”

“Good. You have built up a good department, and they’ll have to make due without you. Part of being a good supervisor is trusting your people to do their jobs.”

“That’s true. I almost feel that they don’t need me.”

“That’s great to hear. That means that you’ve picked the right people and trained them correctly. I know it’s tough being tied to a desk, but you’re making a difference.”

Ally nodded. “Oh, on a lighter note, Beth e-mailed me today.”

“How’s she doing?”

“Great. She’s going up to Philly next week. She has some meetings to attend at Penn.”

“Our little Ivy Leaguer!”

“Actual make that two, don’t forget Celeste.”

“I’m glad that Beth won’t be alone at Penn,” replied Carol.

“Me too. Oh, Beth also said that Iona says hi. She’s still a teenager, but expects to return to adulthood soon.”

Carol nodded and laughed. “I can’t wait to meet the adult version of Iona. The teenager was impressive enough.”

“I agree. It’s also pretty cool knowing someone who has magical powers.”

“I’m not all that surprised. I’ve always had my suspicions about some of my co-workers.”

Ally smiled. “Like who?”

Carol refilled her glass. “Cathleen. But then again, most of the computer techs are a mystery to me.”

Ally nodded in agreement.

“Who do you think?”

Ally thought about it for a moment. “Michelle.”

“That’s a possibility; she’s a real magician when it comes to doing research.”

“Then again, you’re pretty magical when it comes to cooking,” replied Ally.

“Well, cooking is like magic; it’s just a matter of mixing the right ingredients in the right order and proportion. I’ve offered to teach you numerous times.”

Ally nodded. “To me, cooking is something to produce a meal, but for you it’s enjoyable. I wouldn’t want to steal your joy from you.”

Carol rolled her eyes in mock disgust. “Oh, please!”

Chapter 5

The next morning, Ally was walking to her office when she was intercepted by Robert.

“I’m glad I caught you. We need to talk,” he stated.

Ally knew better than to ask him about what right out in the hallway, and so she followed him into his office.

“Could you close the door, please, Ally?” he asked as he sat down and pulled a folder out of his desk.

Ally closed the door, sat down across from him, and waited for him to speak. She wondered what was up.

“I never know how to do this correctly, so here, read this,” he stated as he handed her the folder.

She opened it up, and her eyes opened wide in shock. “Are they sure?”

“Unfortunately, yes. They want to see him first thing this morning.”

“Then he doesn’t know?” she asked.

Robert shook his head. “That’s a job for his supervisor.”

Ally stared back blankly. “What do I do? What do I tell him?”

“Let him know that the Agency is behind him and that he’ll receive the necessary treatment, while protecting his privacy. Please let him know that this will not cost him his position. The good thing is that we’ve detected it early. His last blood test was just two years ago.”

Ally let out a long sigh. “Can I tell Donna?”

Robert nodded. “Absolutely, she’s his immediate supervisor.”

Ally nodded. “Rotten way of starting a day.”

Robert nodded. “Come back when you’re finished, and we’ll talk about it.”

Chapter 6

A few minutes later, Donna was sitting in Ally’s office, her eyes filled with tears.

“This can’t be right, it has to be a mistake!” she exclaimed as she blew her nose.

“He had his annual physical last week. They just got the results of his tests back. He’s to report to Dr. Chamberlain at Bethesda this morning,” replied Ally. “Apparently, they have a series of tests they need to run; he’ll be with them for several days.”

Donna nodded. “And how do we explain his absence without raising suspicions of the others?”

“We’re agents; we do what we do best -- lie.”

Donna grinned.

“Dr. Chamberlain’s office is at the Naval Hospital. Apparently, the Navy has a great system in place for dealing with new patients. Just tell the others that he’s temporarily assigned. Now, you need to compose yourself; we need to be strong for him.”

“Well, I’d better wipe these tears away then,” replied Donna. “I want to be strong for him.”

“You feel up to getting him, or do you want me to do it?”

Donna stood up. “I’ll go get him; after all, he’s my agent.”

“I’ll be waiting.”

Ally re-read the report as she waited for Donna to return. She still couldn’t believe it, but she was pleased that the Agency wasn’t about to toss him aside either; he was too good of an agent and a person to lose. She began to rub her right shoulder, even though it didn’t hurt at the moment. She caught herself at it and smirked; it was becoming a nervous habit. It’s a good thing I don’t play poker, she thought, it would be a dead giveaway every time.

There was a knock at the door, and Donna entered with Joe. Ally motioned for them to sit down. The young man sat down across from her. Donna didn’t sit; instead she leaned up against the wall.

Joe had been one of the last agents Ally had recruited into the department before turning it over to Donna. He was a very smart and brave agent, and had volunteered for several dangerous missions, including the one that caught the man who was trying to kill Ally. He had been the bait teen for what they knew was a trap, even though he knew that he risked being shot. No, this wasn’t the type of agent one just threw away because they were sick, she thought.

Ally noticed that he seemed nervous and knew that she couldn’t delay the inevitable anymore.

“Joe, I don’t know any other way to say this. The tests came back from your physical and your HIV test came back positive,” stated Ally. “They want to take a second one immediately.”

Joe’s eyes widened, and he began to shake his head.

Ally stood up and walked around and sat on the edge of her desk in front of Joe. “First, let me say that we’re all on your side and that your privacy and job are not threatened.”

“No. My god, no,” he mumbled.

“Joe, we need to get you to the clinic.”

“I’m dead. I’m fuckin’ dead,” he bemoaned softly. “I’m dead.”

“No, Joe, you’re not dead. Yes, it’s serious, but it’s not the end of the world.”

“There’s no cure… what can they do?” His head was down in his hands and, from the sound of his voice; it was obvious that he was crying.

Ally nodded. “That’s true, there’s no cure, but the treatments have improved greatly. You can survive this.”

Joe looked up at Donna and then Ally. “Please, do something. I don’t want to die.”

Donna moved next to him and took his hands into hers.

“Joe, please listen to me; you’re going to get the best treatment possible. But that’s only part of the battle. You need to focus your mind for the long fight,” continued Ally.

Tears were rolling down Joe’s face. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“There’s nothing to apologize for, Joe,” stated Ally.

“I fucked up. I screwed up so bad. I’m sorry that I betrayed the trust you had in me,” cried Joe.

Ally got up, walked over and began to hug him. “You didn’t betray us. It’s a disease and nothing else. It has no bearing on your ability as an agent. What you do in your private life is your business.”

Donna joined the hugfest, and for several minutes no one said a word.

Eventually Joe began to regain his composure. “So, what happens now?”

Donna handed him the box of tissues, and he pulled several out.

“You have to go up to Bethesda this morning. They want to see you immediately. The faster they can start treating you the better,” replied Ally. “Don’t worry about work, everything will be covered.”

“Right now? I… I can’t go right now. Can’t I go home first?” begged Joe.

“Why?” asked Ally. “You’ll only be up there for the day. They’re not admitting you into the hospital.”

Joe stared back; there was a panic in his eyes. “I need to go home first. Please?”

“Joe, what’s wrong?” asked Donna.

“I need… I need to change first,” replied Joe softly.

“Why, Joe?” asked Ally. She wondered what was bothering him.

He hung his head down and let out a sigh.

“Joe, the sooner they can see you the better,” continued Ally.

He reply was barely audible. “I’m wearing panties.”

Ally looked at Donna and then back at Joe. “Oh. Well, if it makes you feel better, you go change first. However, this doesn’t change a thing between us and should you want to talk about it later, my door is always open.”

Joe nodded. “I thought I could keep it my secret.”

“It’s okay, and I understand. What’s important now is that you get checked out.”

Joe nodded again. “Thanks, and again I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about, Joe,” comforted Ally. “You’re still one of my agents.”

“If you’d like, I can drive you there,” volunteered Donna, glancing over at Ally.

Ally nodded her approval back.

“Thanks. I’d appreciate that,” replied Joe softly. “Oh, do you want my gun?”

“Why? Is there something wrong with it?” replied Ally with a soft smile. “Keep it, I trust you.”

Joe nodded and what almost looked like a smile grew on his face. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome. I’ll call Dr. Chamberlain and let him know you’re coming,” stated Ally. “Joe, I know you’re scared, but we’re here for you.”

Donna and Joe stood up and walked out of the office. Ally closed the file and placed it in her secure filing cabinet. It was amazing, she thought; Joe is facing a major health issue and he’s more concerned about being outed.

She picked up her coffee mug and left her office to go see Robert.

Chapter 7

Ally briefed Robert on Joe’s reaction; however, she left out his crossdressing confession.

“I’ve already let Jenna know to expect him,” stated Robert as he sipped his coffee.”

Ally nodded and set her mug down. “Donna drove up with him. I’m glad that he’s not alone, not that I suspect that he’d do anything stupid.”

“We presently have nine other employees who are HIV positive. Eventually, we’ll put him in contact with them, so that he won’t be alone,” continued Robert. “Jenna has created a support group for them.”

“I can’t believe that there are still those who want to persecute them. It’s just an illness,” stated Ally.

“It was a lot worse in the early days. We used to put them on permanent health related leave. As we found out more about the disease, the policy changed to let them stay on the job, but in a strictly administrative position. Eventually, that policy changed and now they’re allowed in all positions. Still, some department heads don’t like the idea of an HIV positive agent in their department and do everything legally possible to drive them out. We also had a few agents kill themselves.”

Ally stared back with a stunned look on her face. “You’re kidding?”

Robert shook his head. “They weren’t suicides in the traditional manner; they died in the line of duty.”

Ally nodded. “Oh.” She had heard of law enforcement agents exposing themselves to deadly situations on purpose. “Well, I don’t want to lose an agent like Joe; he’s very sharp and had unlimited potential. He’s also a really nice person.”

“I wouldn’t expect anything different from you,” replied Robert. “Now, how’s it going with your special project?”

Ally glanced at her watch. “I’m seeing him this afternoon. I made some purchases for him yesterday.”

“Good, send me the bill with your monthly expenses.”

“Done. I expect to spend some more before I get him everything he needs. There are some things that I need to order from some online companies.”

“Like what?” asked Robert as he refilled his coffee mug. He held out the pot to Ally, who nodded and extended her mug.

“Breast pads for starters,” replied Ally. “I want to start Sherri’s paper trail.”

“I wish we had started earlier,” noted Robert.

“Me too. I thought of a way to explain it; on her profile, we can mention that she has purged her wardrobe several times.”

Robert cocked his head. “Okay, explain that one to me.”

Ally smiled. “A lot of transgendered go through a cycle of acquiring a wardrobe and then in a fit of guilt they throw it all away, thinking that without the clothes the feelings will go away; it doesn’t and they soon reacquire a new wardrobe. It’s called purging.”

Robert nodded and sipped his coffee.

“And, just so you know, I did it once myself.”

“I can’t imagine you having doubts about yourself,” stated Robert.

Ally smiled and pointed a finger at her chest. “Me? Doubts? Seriously, it’s so confusing; you run the gamut of internal feelings, from pure delight to total guilt. What makes it worse is that you have to be on guard for being detected by your friends and family.”

“But your family has been very accepting, haven’t they?”

“Yes, but I didn’t know at first how they’d react. It’s not something that you can just take back if they react negatively. Hey, it’s just a joke! No, really, I don’t want to be a girl!”

Robert smiled.

“For the most part, my family has been very accepting. There are a few cousins and such who don’t want me around, also a few old friends that don’t understand. Still, the gains have outweighed the losses.”

“Their loss,” replied Robert.

Ally blushed. “Thank you.”

Robert smiled back. No other words were necessary.

Chapter 8

Ally met Tyler after lunch. He was sitting in front of a computer monitor looking at a TG education site.

“I had no idea there was such a variety to all this,” he stated to Ally.

“Yes, it can be very varied, from fetish to transsexual.”

Tyler nodded. “So, where’s my wardrobe?”

“In my car, I didn’t want to lug it all in here. I figured we can take it to your place,” replied Ally. She popped open the can of Diet Coke that she brought with her.

“My place? Oh, yes, my room at the Residence Inn.”

Ally stared at him in disbelief.

Tyler shrugged his shoulders. “It doesn’t make sense for me to have a real place. I’ll be moving up to an apartment in Philly in a few weeks as part of my cover, time permitting. Then hopefully, in a few weeks I’ll be in LA.”

“I don’t see how you do it.”

“It’s wearing thin, and not just the undercover work,” replied Tyler. “Don’t get me wrong, I love being in law enforcement, but sometimes I think I could get more job satisfaction from being a California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer writing tickets out on I-5.”

“Is there something you want to talk about?” asked Ally.

Tyler sighed. “I just spent a huge hunk of my life getting the inside info on a bunch of wise guys, and the prosecutor just cut a deal with them. I doubt if any of them will spend more than a few months in jail.”

Ally nodded. “I know how you feel. Thankfully, the scum we bust are so sick that no one wants to cut a deal with them, especially the big fish.”

Tyler smiled. “I suppose you’d include Margo Simon as a big fish.”

Ally smiled back. “A whale… a huge hairless, soulless, depraved, evil, and manipulative whale.”

Tyler laughed.

“By the way, have you been checking up on me?” asked Ally.

“Not exactly, well, maybe I have. We have worked together before. We worked that case that involved that psycho cop who tried to kill you.”

“So, you’re Casper?” asked Ally with a grin.

Tyler laughed again. “That’s me. Robert told me about the nickname.”

“We really appreciated your assistance,” replied Ally.

“It was a pleasure, the only thing worse than a criminal is a bad cop. I’m glad to see that he didn’t get a light sentence.”

“He’s lucky he had info we wanted, or else he’d be on death row. Charles Hill killed one officer and tried to kill several others.”

Tyler nodded. “Well, my computer account has been set up. If anyone traces it, they’ll think that I really am in Philadelphia. The computer tech also set up e-mail accounts for both Sean and Sherri. She said that she included some special aspects to my accounts.”

“That’s Cathleen, our computer wiz. What she did was set up your account so we’ll know the instant that someone tries to hack in. Hopefully, this will give us a heads-up if Loren takes an interest in you.”

“Cool.”

“Well, we’d better get to work. Sign in as Sherri,” ordered Ally.

Tyler nodded. “Okay, what next?”

She leaned over and typed in a web address for a transgendered fiction site.

“What’s this?” asked Tyler.

“One of the better sites for fiction written with a transgendered slant; I’ll give you the addresses for some other ones. Bookmark them on your favorites for future use. Now, what I’d like you to do is read some of the stories in here and leave reviews. Consider this Sherri’s coming out.”

Tyler nodded.

“Relax, there are some pretty good stories in there, along with some real crap too, not unlike a book store,” continued Ally. “After a while, we’ll have you go into the chatrooms in here. Once you get comfortable, we’ll take you into the more sexually explicit rooms.”

“Okay.”

“I’m waiting for a status on one of my agents. When I get it, we can take your new wardrobe back to the hotel.”

Tyler nodded and then started to laugh. “I can’t imagine what the maids will think of me; as it is they think I’m a dealer!”

Ally laughed. As Tyler scanned the stories, Ally re-read the profiles for both Sean and Sherri. She was pleased to see that the Agency had used her suggestions in their profile biography sheets. They had created a very detailed biography for Sean. There were enough things to make him into a real person, but enough holes that wouldn’t allow someone to deduce that he was really an agent.

After a while, Tyler stood up. “I need a break, how ‘bout you?”

Ally looked at her watch, it was nearly five. “Time flies when you’re having fun.”

“I’m impressed, some of those people can actually write. I left some comments as you suggested. I just reworded the comments of some of the other reviewers,” stated Tyler.

“Good. Now I want you to spend at least an hour in those sites every day. You don’t have to comment on every story, especially the bad ones.”

“That’s good, some really are awful,” he replied.

“Which Residence Inn are you staying at?” asked Ally.

“The one in Falls Church, in room 325,” replied Tyler.

“Good, I know where that is. I’ll meet you there at seven,” replied Ally.

Tyler nodded.

Chapter 9

Around six, Ally got a call from Donna.

“We’re on the way back. They’d like to have Joe up here for the next two weeks; just like you said, they have tests they want to run. They also have a bunch of classes that they want him to attend. The good news is that he doesn’t have to check in as a patient,” stated Donna.

“How’s he doing?” asked Ally.

“Here, I’ll let him tell you,” replied Donna.

“Hi, Ally. I guess I’m okay… considering everything that has happened. I don’t feel any different, but everything has changed,” replied Joe.

“I can imagine. Listen, if you need anything at all, call me. Donna will give you my cell phone number.”

“Thanks. I’m sorry for the way I reacted this morning….”

“It’s okay, Joe. Like I said earlier, there’s no need to apologize,” interrupted Ally.

“Yes, but considering all that you’ve been through, I should have trusted you enough to tell you,” interjected Joe.

“We’ll talk about it later. For now, you have your assignment. I don’t want to hear from them that you haven’t been paying attention,” stated Ally.

“They do have their act together up here; it’s not at all what I thought it would be like,” replied Joe.

“Okay, see you when you get back.”

“I will. Oh, Donna wants to say something.”

“Ally, I’ll send up some fake paperwork tomorrow, assigning Joe for two weeks of training,” stated Donna.

“Sure, good idea,” replied Ally, wishing the lying wasn’t necessary. She was sure that most of the agents in her department would support Joe, but there was always the chance that there might be problems. What was important right now was for Joe to get treatment.

“I’ll call you later tonight,” stated Donna.

“Okay, I won’t be home until late,” replied Ally.

Chapter 10

It took Ally two trips to carry everything from her car to Tyler’s room. She unpacked everything, placing the clothing and shoes on the bed, and the wigs, makeup and jewelry on the table.

“This is just the start,” stated Ally as she sorted through the makeup.

“You’re kidding, right?” asked Tyler as he hesitantly poked through the makeup cases.

Ally shook her head. “No, not at all, you’ll be ordering some of the more exotic aspects of your wardrobe from some online sites.”

Tyler shook his head in disbelief. “Where do we start?”

“I suggest that you change into one of your new outfits and then practice doing your makeup.”

“You’re not going to make me up?”

Ally shook her head. “Nope. You need to learn on your own, just like the rest of us do.”

“But girls often get help from their friends,” retorted Tyler.

“You’re not a girl,” replied Ally with a smile.

He laughed. “Touché.”

“I will help you pick out a wardrobe,” stated Ally as she walked over to the bed. She picked up a few items, including a blue dress and handed them to Tyler.

“You made a mistake, Ally. I don’t think I need two pairs of panties,” stated Tyler as he looked over the clothing. “Besides, I don’t think this one will fit, it looks rather small.”

A sly smile grew on Ally’s face. “That’s because it’s not a pair of panties, it’s a gaff. It’s for hiding… certain body parts.”

Tyler looked at the gaff and then back at Ally. “You’re kidding, right?”

Ally shook her head.

“Is it necessary?”

Ally smiled and nodded.

Tyler shrugged his shoulders and walked to the bathroom. “The price we pay for being in law enforcement.”

“Be careful and ensure that everything is tucked away, you don’t want to pinch something down there.”

“Ouch!” stated Tyler as he closed the bathroom door.

While Tyler changed, Ally looked around the room. Her attention was drawn to a stack of DVDs. She was pleased to see that Tyler shared her love of old detective and Humphrey Bogart movies.

“I see you like Film Noir,” she called out.

“Love it,” called out Tyler. “I’ve always wanted to use the name Richard Blaine during an undercover operation.”

Ally smiled. Tyler was referring to Humphrey Bogart’s character in Casablanca.

“Phillip Marlowe would be too obvious,” replied Ally.

“Or Sam Spade,” added Tyler.

Ally smiled to herself. She was really becoming fond of Tyler.

A few minutes later, Tyler stepped out of the bathroom. From the way he was dressed to the way he walked, he looked just like a guy in a dress.

“Well?” he asked, as he posed in front of Ally.

“We have a lot of work ahead of us,” replied Ally, holding back a laugh. “Okay, let’s start with the clothes.” At least the dress fit him, she thought.

She walked over and adjusted the dress and pulled the wrinkles out of his pantyhose.

“The gaff isn’t exactly comfortable,” he moaned.

“It’s not for comfort, it’s for concealment,” replied Ally. “Just be careful how you… stuff your package; if you pinch yourself down there, it can really hurt.”

“Do you wear one?”

Ally shook her head. “Don’t need to anymore. Hormones have sort of cleared up that problem.”

“Oh, yeah, I guess they would.”

“We’ll concentrate on the clothes and makeup for now, but from now on, whenever you’re dressed in fem, try to act like you’re female, concentrate on your body language, and don’t overdo it.”

Tyler nodded.

“Okay, sit down at the table and remember that you’re wearing a dress,” instructed Ally.

Ally noted what a fast learner he was, as he sat down and paid close attention to his hemline.

“Pick out some jewelry to go with the dress. I noticed that you have pierced ears, that’ll be a big help; clip-on earrings are a bitch,” replied Ally.

Tyler laughed as he reached up and touched his right earlobe. “Part of the Jersey mob look. Thankfully, I didn’t have to get any tattoos”

“Have you ever felt like you were slipping too deep into your role?” asked Ally.

He nodded. “It’s a definite risk, especially when on a real long term mission. That’s another reason I want out.”

“That’s understandable. Okay, we need to get started,” stated Ally as she set up a portable makeup mirror in front of him and turned it on.

Tyler stared at the bottles and small plastic cases and tubes and then looked over at Ally. There was a look of total mystery on his face. “How ‘bout a hint? Where do I start?”

Ally smiled and pointed to a bottle. “Use that first. Thankfully, you don’t have much of a beard, so you won’t need a concealer first. Use the small triangular sponge to apply it.”

Ally watched as he carefully applied his makeup; it was unevenly applied and very streaky. He also struggled with the eye shadow and almost poked out his eye when he applied mascara. By the time he got to his lips, he looked like a train wreck.

“Just remember, I’m laughing with you and not at you,” explained Ally, stifling a giggle.

“Hey, remember this is my first attempt. It isn’t as easy as I thought it would be,” stated Tyler. “Nowhere but to go but up!”

“That’s true, here’s some cold cream; why don’t you clean up and we’ll try again? Just remember this the next time you’re waiting for a date to get ready.”

Tyler laughed as he cleaned his face.

“Tell you what, I’ll go first. Watch how I do it. Now, I’m going to put on heavier makeup than I usually use,” explained Ally.

“Okay, that sounds like great idea.”

Tyler watched intently as Ally made herself up. He appeared to be taking mental notes.

“That makes sense,” he stated to himself, as he watched Ally apply her mascara.

A short time later, he was finishing up his own makeup.

“Very good,” replied Ally. “I’m very impressed.”

“It’s a knack I have. I can pick up things from watching others; the problem is that I don’t always know the why behind the how.”

“I’ll get you a few makeup DVDs that’ll help you create a more exotic look.”

“Cool. So what sorts of things do I need to order online?”

Ally took him to the site for the breast pads. “Order a pair tonight, we’ll order some other things over the next few days. We’ll have you make a bunch of purchases all at once; that way, once someone hacks into your credit account they’ll notice it.”

She then explained about purging, and how Sean/Sherri was recreating her wardrobe.

“Why don’t you show me the sites now, and I’ll put them in my favorites? My laptop is hooked up the same way as my one at work.”

An hour later Ally was driving home. Tyler had made great progress, more than most of her agents the first time they dressed. She thought about Joe and how he’d looked when he dressed for the mission that led to arrest of Charles Hill. She then thought about a similar stakeout mission, back when she was still a detective named Al Burns, and how Carol had helped her come out. Her mind drifted back to Joe and thought of the anguish he must be going through. She held back the tears until she arrived home.

Ally wiped the tears back and headed inside. Carol met her at the door and immediately hugged her.

“Donna called and told me what happened,” whispered Carol, as she hugged Ally.

Ally held onto Carol and the tears started again.

Over dinner, Carol gave Ally a chance to vent her emotions.

“It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do,” stated Ally.

“I can imagine,” replied Carol. “It’s never easy being the bearer of bad news.”

Ally nodded. “Thanks for being here for me.”

“I had nothing else planned for the evening.”

Ally laughed. She then saw a black and white blur out of the corner of her eye as Bogie ran through the kitchen chasing a small ball.

“It must be nice to be so carefree,” mused Ally as she watched Bogie play.

“If reincarnation is real, then if you’re good in your previous life, you get to come back as a house cat,” replied Carol.

Ally nodded and then, as her thoughts shifted back to Joe, she sighed. “What made it even worse for Joe was that he had to out himself as transgendered.”

“Did you have any idea?” asked Carol.

Ally shook her head. “I never gave it any thought. He has volunteered a few times to be crossdressed for some missions, but I never made the connection. Then again, I’ve been kinda clueless when it comes to Gaydar.”

“I assume that you’ll make yourself available to talk to him.”

“I already have.”

Carol nodded.

“Oh, I have to call Donna before it gets too late,” remembered Ally.

“No problem, I’ll get the dishes.”

Ally got up and kissed Carol. “Thank you.”

Ally sat down on the living room couch and called Donna. Ally was pleased to hear that Joe was in better spirits.

“I know this may be personal, but is Joe seeing anyone right now? If he is, they need to know,” asked Ally. “I know that he’s good friends with Kelly.”

“He talked to me about that on the way home; they’re not lovers,” replied Donna.

“That’s good. Wait, that’s not what I meant,” stated Ally.

“I know what you mean.”

“Does he plan on telling her?”

“He’s thinking about it,” replied Donna. “He also told me that he has to talk to those he’s been intimate with in the past two years.”

Ally signed. “It’s bad enough to have a potentially deadly illness, but to then have to expose your personal life too; I can’t image how hard that must be. At least I had time to prepare myself when I came out.”

“I thought about that. His whole life shifted dramatically this morning when we talked to him.”

“How’re you holding up, Donna?”

“Okay I guess, considering it was my first real crisis as a supervisor.”

“You did well.”

“Thanks. Oh, I did get some good news today, Ed called; he’ll be home this weekend,” stated Donna, referring to her husband.

“That’s great news.”

“I know; his flight will arrive in Norfolk Friday afternoon, and I’m driving down to meet him. We’re going to spend the weekend in an inn down on the Outer Banks.”

“Sounds romantic,” replied Ally.

“That’s the general idea,” responded Donna. “We haven’t seen each other in six weeks. I really need to be with him.”

“The joys of being a navy widow.”

“He hinted that he might not be going to sea for a while.”

Ally yawned and looked at her watch, it was almost eleven. “We’ll talk about it in the morning. I think it’s time that we both went to bed, and it was a very long day.”

“I agree, see you tomorrow.”

A short time later, Ally was in bed snuggling up against Carol. “Thanks for being here.”

Carol just nodded and leaned over and kissed Ally.

Chapter 11

Ally spent the next morning going over the weekly reports for the regional departments. She had been promised an assistant, but the spot was still vacant due to budget issues. Actually, Ally didn’t mind, as her work load wasn’t too heavy.

The Seattle office was doing great; David was quickly building an office that was rivaling DC. Thankfully, Donna and David got along famously, and used their friendship to build up the friendly competition between the two offices.

It didn’t hurt that the Seattle bureau was run by Travis Coleman, the man who had initially recruited her to the agency. Travis thrived on results and rewarded agents who got results. He also saw the threat of online crime and had made it a focus of the Seattle office.

The St. Louis office was just getting off the ground. Ally still wasn’t sure about the agent running it. His name was William Shaw and, while he had been an agent for sixteen years, he didn’t have a lot of experience in Internet crime. Until recently he had been assigned to narcotics, he then was injured in a car crash. His injuries prevented him from returning to field work. He was also a bit rigid, in Ally’s opinion, but the St. Louis bureau head had fought hard for William’s assignment.

While William had extensive agency experience, he just didn’t feel right to Ally. She suspected that he was just using the position as a stepping stone to another department. Maybe she was being unfair to him, as he wasn’t her choice for the position. The St. Louis bureau head had insisted that he have final say on the choice, and he’d insisted on Shaw.

So far they had had little success, and Ally was debating making a trip out there to see what was happening.

The Atlanta office had just gone operational the previous month. Ally saw great potential in this office. She was very pleased with the office head, whom she had recruited from the Atlanta PD. Her name was Samantha Maxwell, and she had been one of the detectives that Ally had trained there. She quickly rose from the rest and within six months was running the Atlanta department.

Ally’s friend on that Atlanta PD had even called and suggested that Sam would be a great fit for the position. Ally smiled as she recalled the conversation.

“This is a pleasure; how have you been, Gary?” asked Ally, as she talked to the detective who’d helped her during the Monday Night Football Killer case.

“I’m doing well. I heard through the grapevine that you’ve been promoted. I’m stunned that the feds did something right. Congrats!” replied Det. Bowie.

Ally laughed. “Sometimes we get lucky.”

“Luck had nothing to do with it. Ally, I’ll deny that this conversation ever took place, and as much as it pains me to send over an excellent detective to the Dark Side, I know someone who’d be a great fit for your regional office.”

“What regional office?” asked Ally innocently.

“Come on, I may be a simple southern detective, but I have my sources too,” replied Gary. “I know that you’re setting up an office here in Atlanta.”

He then went on to tell her all about Samantha. She had been an Atlanta PD detective for five years and had spent the last two years working for the Internet crime taskforce. Samantha was a graduate of the University of Georgia and was working on her Masters in Criminology.

“How does she feel about federal service?” asked Ally.

“I think she’d jump at the opportunity. Besides, the way your agents work with the local police, it wouldn’t be like we’re really losing her.”

That conversation had taken place several months ago. Ally had flown down and interviewed her and, instead of offering Sam a position as an agent, Ally fought for her to be the office head. Ally had argued that Sam had more experience in fighting Internet crime that the other three finalists combined. Just to make sure that Sam succeeded; Ally had temporarily transferred three agents from the DC office to assist in the office’s initial setup.

Ally had decided that all new agents recruited into the department would first be trained in the DC office. David, Sam, Donna, and even William agreed to this idea. While Ally didn’t mind the different offices trying new things, she wanted their basic operations to be the same. This way new ideas could be more easily integrated.

Her mind shifted back to the St .Louis office. So far they had only assisted on a few arrests. She wondered what the problem was. The weekly reports indicted that they had several ongoing operations, but it still looked light. They had sufficient manning and equipment, but the results weren’t there. It took Ally another ten minutes until she uncovered something wrong in the reports. While the department had twelve agents, all the ongoing operations seemed to be assigned to only two agents. She pulled out the past few reports and found the same thing. What was being done with the other ten agents? she wondered.

She picked up the phone and called Robert.

“I’d like to go out to St. Louis for a couple of days, as I’d like to see what’s going on with their operations,” she explained. “However, I’d like to make it an unannounced visit.”

“Why?” asked Robert.

“Off the record?” asked Ally.

There was a pause. “Sure, go on.”

“I don’t think that all my assigned agents are working on office business.”

“That’s a serious charge.”

“I know. But call it a hunch, and there’s some evidence to support this. I know not everyone considers what we’re doing as important, and it would be very easy to ‘borrow’ some of my agents and equipment for ‘real’ crime fighting. As you know, I wasn’t pleased with the selection of William Shaw to run the Midwest office.”

She then went to explain her reasons, including the discrepancies in the weekly reports.

“When do you want to go out?” asked Robert.

“My schedule is pretty full, but this is important. All it would take is for one of the regional offices to fail, and I can imagine the naysayers’ complaints. I know that you support my department, but budgets are getting tighter. So, can I go out on Tuesday?”

“Okay. If the St. Louis bureau head gives you any grief, call me immediately,” replied Robert. “So, how’s our other project coming along?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” replied Ally innocently.

“Good girl,” replied Robert.

Ally laughed and knew that she’d have to giver Robert an update that afternoon.

Chapter 12

Tyler was sitting at his computer when Ally entered the secure space. She was sipping her Diet Coke, her third of the day.

“I made a few purchases today,” announced Tyler. “Since Sherri is supposed to have a kinky side, I used the measurements from the outfits you bought me to order a leather mini skirt and top. I like the leather skirt you bought me, but the new one is shorter and has a chain belt.”

Ally nodded. “Good. I thought of a way that you can learn a bit more about how to walk and move. Go by the mall this afternoon and spend a few hours watching women.”

Tyler laughed. “You want me to go girl watching?” He then winked at Ally.

She smiled. “Not that kind of watching, pig! I want you to look at the way they walk, the way they move.”

Tyler smiled and nodded. “Good idea.”

“I’ll see you this evening, around seven.”

Tyler looked at his watch. “Well, I’d better head out to do my class work.”

“Just remember that you’re working,” added Ally.

Chapter 13

When Ally arrived at Tyler’s room, he was met by Sherri. She was dressed in a black skirt and red silk blouse. She was wearing a blonde shoulder length wig. Her makeup was much improved, although her eyeliner was a bit sloppy.

“Well?” asked Sherri.

Ally stepped inside and closed the door. She then began her inspection.

“You’re wearing the wig too low, unless you’re going for a hairline one inch above your eyebrows. Here, let me adjust it for you,” noted Ally. “Don’t worry, it’s a common mistake.”

Sherri nodded and, after Ally adjusted the wig, she turned and looked at herself in the mirror.

“Oh, I see, that does look a lot better,” commented Sherri.

“People wear their wigs low in attempt to hide behind it; instead it just draws attention to them,” explained Ally.

Ally also made some comments regarding her wardrobe. However, overall she was impressed and told Sherri this.

“You still look like a male in women’s clothing, but you look good. You look feminine enough, but it’s obvious that you’re a guy. Just the sort of look that should attract Loren,” stated Ally. “I think we should get some pictures for your online profile.”

“Will you take them?” asked Sherri, as she retrieved her digital camera.

Ally shook her head. “Use the timer; remember you’re doing this all by yourself.”

“Oh, that makes sense,” replied Sherri.

Ally gave her some suggestions for poses. In twenty minutes they had several decent images.

“They aren’t very good,” replied Tyler.

“Again, that’s good. It will allow us to show improvement, and it’ll also show that you’re a beginner.”

“So, when do I go online? I’ve been studying!”

Ally laughed. “I’d like you to just observe for a while.”

“Observe? How?”

“Log in as a guy, watch how the others interact.”

“Won’t that attract attention?”

Ally shook her head. “No, many people enter chatrooms and never say a word. Some are afraid to talk.”

“Afraid to talk, why? It is online, that does make it rather anonymous,” noted Sherri.

Ally shrugged her shoulders. “I guess they’re afraid that someone might recognize them. Of course, that would raise the question of why the other person was also in the room.”

“True.”

“Okay, here’s a good chatroom,” stated Ally, as she typed in the address.

“How do you know about it?” asked Sherri with a wink.

“Through investigations, my dear Sherri. We check out all sorts of chatrooms. Later, I’ll give you the addresses of some of the more active sites.”

“Active? Oh…. sexual sites.”

Ally nodded. “Tonight you start in the wading pool. Just type in a male name and sit back and observe, that’s your homework for tonight.”

“What if they contact me?”

“Just say hi or something like that; I want you to look at how the others interact tonight.”

Sherri nodded and then she laughed. “Sorry, but the absurd nature of what we’re doing just struck me. I’m a male pretending to be a woman, dressed in a skirt and blouse, logging into a chatroom, pretending to be a male!”

“And your point is?” asked Ally with a straight face.

As Ally expected, Tyler was generally ignored a few seconds after he entered the room. The ratio was almost two to one, men to T-girls, and the passive were bound to be ignored.

Ally picked up a pen and a piece of paper and wrote out a few more websites. “Try these, if you get too bored here.”

“You leaving?”

“Yes, I need to get home.”

“See you tomorrow,” replied Sherri.

“Have fun,” replied Ally, as she got up to leave.

“I will,” replied Sherri.

Chapter 14

Ally snuggled up closer to Carol on the couch. A very contented Bogie was asleep on Ally’s lap. A half empty bottle of Merlot was on the coffee table in front of them, with two glasses next to it.

“So, you think that Shaw is neglecting his duties?” asked Carol.

“It’s either that or he’s incompetent. Well, maybe that’s too harsh. But something is wrong.”

“Try to be, how do I put this, diplomatic when you go out there,” stated Carol.

Ally smiled and pointed to her chest. “Me?”

“Just watch your ass,” added Carol. “They don’t know you there. Anytime an outsider shows up, people tend to get defensive, so you’ll be outnumbered. Getting angry won’t help either.”

“Go on.”

“What I’m suggesting is to talk to Shaw in private and try to resolve any difficulties. Maybe it’s just a misunderstanding, or maybe he’s just following the orders of his bureau head. If it turns out to be something more personal, then just leave.”

“By personal, you mean my being transgendered?”

“That or your age,” replied Carol. She reached over and filled their glasses. Bogie woke up, stretched, and then moved to Carol’s lap, and fell asleep.

Ally took the wine and sipped it. “I hadn’t thought about my age; I don’t exactly consider myself that young.”

“Trust me, my dear, you’re a mere child. Seriously, the fact that you’ve only been in the agency a few years and are a department head is a sore spot for some.”

“It’s not like there were a lot of people out there clambering for the position,” replied Ally angrily. “The department was pretty much on life support when I arrived.”

“See what I mean about your temper?” noted Carol. “It’s not the department, but the fact that a new agent got a major promotion.”

“Does it bother you?” asked Ally.

Carol shook her head. “I like fieldwork too much. I also know that I wouldn’t do nearly as good a job as you’re doing. I’m very proud of what you’ve accomplished, but I am sleeping with you, so my vote is rather biased.”

“So I should sleep with Shaw?”

Carol began to laugh so hard that Bogie woke up with a start. “I doubt that would improve the situation.”

Ally smiled back. “I’m not naíve; I know there are still a lot of people in the agency who aren’t comfortable with my being an agent. I try not to let it bother me, but sometimes I can still feel people stare at me. Ever since Grace was exiled to North Dakota, there hasn’t been any obvious harassment, but I know that she wasn’t alone.”

“That’s true, but you have a lot of people on your side.”

“I know, and it means a lot to me.”

“Just remember that you’re not in this fight alone.”

Ally nodded and took another sip of her wine. She reached over and scratched Bogie’s chin.

“Why should it matter? I mean, what difference does it make to them?” Ally asked aloud. “It obviously doesn’t matter to Bogie.”

“I think it scares some people. Gender is something people take for granted. You’re born with a set of sexual organs and that’s that. It’s a given; then someone like you comes along, and it forces them to think about their own base beliefs, and that can be uncomfortable.”

“I see, I guess that makes some sense.” Ally let out a long yawn.

“Looks like Bogie isn’t the only one ready for bed,” noted Carol, who then leaned over and kissed Ally.

Chapter 15

The next day Ally sat down with Tyler and gave him a long list of websites.

“These are all transgendered sites?” he asked.

“No, a few are regular women’s clothing sites,” replied Ally. “If someone gets into your computer, this will help your cover.”

Tyler nodded.

“I know I only have you for a few weeks, and we’re supposed to keep our relationship low key, but I’d like you to observe some of my agents at work. So, why don’t you stop by this morning in our Op-Center. I’ll just tell them that you wanted to observe our procedures. I already cleared it with Robert,” stated Ally.

“Sounds good.”

“This will give you some more insight into the dynamics of the chatrooms,” continued Ally.

“Oh, that’s a good one. ‘The dynamics of the chatrooms.’ Do you use that often?”

“Just on smartass undercover agents,” replied Ally with a wink.

“Ally, I just want to say that you’ve helped me immensely. I’m getting a very good feel for Sean/Sherri. I know that I’ll be ready thanks to you.”

Ally nodded. “Thank you. Well, I’d better introduce you to Donna. I’ll see you this evening at our normal time.”

A short time later Donna was showing Tyler around the Op-Center. Ally retreated to her office.

Ally was soon immersed in the massive paperwork that went with her position. At times, she longed for the good old days when it was just her and a few computers.

David was doing a superb job in Seattle. They had just assisted on a major arrest in Tucson. Local police had requested their assistance in setting up a sting for men trying to arrange sex vacations in Mexico. David’s agents had posed as the teens. In addition to the six businessmen arrested, they’d also gotten the ringleader, a man suspected of running similar trips to Thailand and the Philippines.

While Ally was pleased with the arrest, she was equally pleased with the reputation that David’s office was getting for cooperating with the local law enforcement community. David joked that, if it kept up, they’d give the Feds a bad name.

Likewise, the Atlanta office was working hard to gain the trust of the local police departments. So far they hadn’t assisted in any major arrests, but they were being contacted to provide help. That suited Ally just fine. She didn’t care who made the arrests, just as long as the predators were caged.

Ally shook her head she looked at the file for St. Louis. So far they had only worked with two local police departments, St. Louis and Chicago. Considering they covered fifteen states, that was pathetic, thought Ally. It only reinforced her decision to go out there.

Chapter 16

Donna swung by a few hours later.

“So, who is he really?” asked Donna.

Ally didn’t respond.

“Look, we don’t usually get visitors in here, are we being inspected?”

Ally shook her head. “Leave it at that.”

“Okay. He’s too nice to be an inspector anyway.”

Ally smiled. “That’s true. Oh, any new word on Joe?”

“He’s undergoing a whole battery of tests. He says that overall he’s in great health. They’ve put him on a drug cocktail to knock down his viral load.”

“I’ve heard that’s pretty common,” replied Ally. “What else are they doing to him?”

“He’s told me that he has a whole schedule of classes, ranging from diet to yoga.”

“That sounds interesting.”

Donna nodded. “I’ve been reading up on the latest ways they’ve been treating it. There’s still no cure, but there are more options in treatment. Have you ever known anyone else who had it?”

Ally nodded. “Yes, the first one was through my parents. A good friend of theirs died of AIDS. I was only ten at the time. I can remember how helpless everyone felt that not only was there not a lot of treatment options, but the public’s harsh perception of the disease.”

“So your parents told you what was happening?”

“Yes. The man was an old family friend, and he had been at our house numerous times. My parents thought there was no better place to break the stigma of the illness than at home, so they told me everything. I even went to visit him at the hospital.”

“Your parents are pretty cool.”

Ally nodded. “Yes, they are.”

“I had a friend from college whose brother got it. The last I heard from Greg was that he was still healthy and was working up in Boston,” continued Donna.

“How long has he been positive?”

“Almost six years now.”

Ally nodded.

“Joe says that the classes have helped, and he now has hope, and is… determined to beat it,” added Donna, her voice starting to crack.

Ally nodded and, seeing that Donna was tearing up, handed her a box of tissues.

“Thanks,” replied Donna, as she pulled a few tissues from the box.

“It’s okay. So, what time is Ed’s flight tomorrow?”

“Five.” A smile began to grow on her face.

“Why don’t you take off early tomorrow? Traffic is always bad on Fridays, and if you leave here at five you won’t get to Norfolk until after nine.”

Donna nodded. “Thanks.”

“Oh, I’ll be out of the office next week.”

“Where are you going?”

“Just between you and me, I’m going to St. Louis.”

Donna smiled. “David and I have been waiting for this. You’re going there to kick some butt, right?”

Ally laughed. “Try to keep it to yourself for now; I want my visit to be a surprise. So, why have you been waiting for me to do this?”

Donna appeared to be trying to think of the proper words. “I talked with one of the agents in St. Louis this week, and she says that things aren’t going well there.”

“Like what?” asked Ally, as she popped open a can of Diet Coke.

“I’m just passing on what she said,” stated Donna.

“It’s okay, you’re not ratting out anyone,” interrupted Ally.

“She said that it seems like they’re just making a token effort, and that most of the agents assigned to the office are working elsewhere in the bureau,” stated Donna.

“That’s what I’ve suspected from looking at the weekly reports,” replied Ally.

“You’re not angry with me, are you?”

Ally shook her head. “Nothing to be angry about.”

“Thanks.”

“Look, I know that we’re friends and that I’m also your boss. You don’t have to pass every rumor up to me. I mean the agent in St. Louis could just be disgruntled and have vented to you.”

Donna nodded.

“Well, we’d better get back to work,” noted Ally, as she glanced at her watch.

“Yes, I need to check in on our investigations,” stated Donna.

Ally stood up and walked out with Donna.

Ally watched Donna walk into the Op-Center and smiled. What had been once been a barely functioning department was now a smooth running operation. Ally felt a sense of pride in the success.

She wanted to talk to Robert but needed to stop by Spec-Ops first. She was pleased to see Steve was at his desk.

“Ally, welcome!” he greeted.

“I just wanted to see how everything was going with the baby,” stated Ally as she stepped into Steve’s office.

“He’s doing great, thanks for asking,” replied Steve. “Thankfully, we’re all used to getting by on a few hours of sleep a night.”

Ally laughed. “Thankfully, our kitten sleeps the whole night away.”

“So what really brings you into my neck of the woods?” asked Steve.

Ally nodded and sat down across from Steve. She then explained the problem with the St. Louis office.

After she finished, Steve looked over at Ally. “Sounds like you really need to go out there.”

“I know, I’m just worried about how Shaw will take it,” replied Ally.

“I don’t know him personally, I do remember seeing his name on some reports. He’s a good agent, although I doubt he’s happy about being behind a desk. Keep that in mind,” stated Steve. “You haven’t been the model patient when it comes to physical therapy yourself.”

“You should talk. I can relate to the desk part, but that still doesn’t excuse him from not doing his job,” replied Ally.

“Agreed. Still, give him a chance to explain himself, and watch your temper,” added Steve.

“You should talk about watching one’s temper,” replied Ally with a grin.

“I consider what I have to be a controlled rage.”

Ally laughed.

“Oh, before you go, I had an interesting conversation with Jo,” stated Steve.

Jo was an agent in one of Spec-Ops strike teams, and she had talked to Ally a few months earlier about her own gender identity issues.

“About what?” asked Ally.

“Seems she sees herself as male,” replied Steve. “I suspect that she talked to you about it.”

Ally nodded. “Right after the raids.”

“Can’t say I’m surprised. Personally, I don’t care one way or another, just as long as it doesn’t affect their performance. Jo is one hell of an agent, and I don’t just mean for a female. What concerns me is how this will affect her in the field. I cannot afford to have an agent, any agent, in my teams whose mind isn’t totally focused on the mission.”

“I assume you want to know if Jo’s performance will be adversely affected.”

Steve nodded.

“It never did for me, at least not while I was on a case. Where it did bother me was when I wasn’t on a case. I had to be on guard at all times to present a manly image. In this case, Jo is lucky, as her job is physical and, to put it bluntly, masculine. From what I’ve seen, Jo is treated as ‘one of the guys’ by the rest of your agents. Still, I’m just basing this on my own feelings. Jo loves her job, but she’s also torn emotionally.”

“What do you suggest?”

“Since she’s talked to you about it, I’d suggest she start seeing a therapist, if she hasn’t already. It’s helped me.”

“I understand that it’s part of the procedures for sexual reassignment surgery,” stated Steve.

“You’ve been studying!”

Steve laughed. “Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Look, I don’t want to lose Jo as a member of my team. I just want to make sure that either she or he has their head in the game, and is emotionally fit.”

Ally nodded. “Did she express a desire to start transition?”

Steve shook his head. “I think Jo was just feeling me out.”

“Let Jo know that I’m available to talk.”

“I already have,” replied Steve with a wink.

“How do you think the rest of the team would react, should Jo transition?”

“You never know how someone will react. A few of the team are very protective of Jo and will support her totally. For most of them, it won’t matter either, but I may have a few agents that may not be as accommodating, they all have their own values and beliefs. That’s another problem, as I can’t tolerate distractions, real or perceived.”

“Like the way Grace reacted to me,” added Ally, referring to the agent who’d harassed her.

Steve nodded. “I’ve built my teams so that they function together regardless of any differences. Race isn’t an issue anymore in the Agency, but it was at one time; the same goes for gender. My predecessor refused to have women in the teams, I changed that, and a few agents immediately requested transfers.”

“What did you do?”

“I gave them their transfers. I want the best persons possible on my teams. Trust me; no one gets a free ride. Any woman on my teams earned their way on. They take the exact same physical test as the men. Jo’s coming out would be legally supported by the Agency’s rules, but that doesn’t mean everyone will like it.”

“So you could lose some agents?”

Steve shrugged his shoulders. “Jo’s earned a right to stay.”

“I’m glad to hear you say that,” replied Ally.

Steve shrugged his shoulders. “Considering my daughter used to be a man, and one of my best friends is transgendered, I can’t see it any other way.”

Ally smiled back. “Thanks.”

Steve cocked his head. “I wasn’t referring to you, I was referring to Madison, he used to a woman.”

Ally rolled her eyes and laughed. “So has Maggie made up her mind about coming back?”

“She’s taking a year off, and then she’ll decide if she’s coming back fulltime,” replied Steve.

“Sounds like you approve.”

“I offered to take some leave, but she talked me out of it. Maggie’s not ready to give up her career, but at the same time I think she’s enjoying being a mother.”

Ally nodded.

“Oh, that reminds me, we’d like you and Carol to come over for dinner next Saturday,” stated Steve.

“That’s sounds great. I’ll check with Carol and get back to you,” replied Ally.

“Super.”

Ally glanced at her watch. “I need to go. I want to catch Robert before he takes off.”

Steve nodded. “See you later.”

Chapter 17

A short time later Ally was sitting across from Robert.

“I’m a little nervous about confronting Shaw,” confessed Ally.

“It’s never easy. Still, it’s part of becoming a leader. Allow him to explain his actions. If it turns out that he’s following orders from the St. Louis bureau head, then it’s out of your hands and it moves up a level.”

“And if it is Shaw?” asked Ally.

“I’d recommend that you try to find a way to change his ways, as opposed to firing him. He’s a good agent, and I think your department can benefit from his experience.”

Ally nodded. “I’d prefer that, but I can’t afford to have someone working for me who’s not on the same page with me.”

“I agree and, if he is the problem, I will support your decision to replace him,” replied Robert.

“Thank you. Joe is doing pretty well, all things considered,” stated Ally.

Robert nodded. “I’m pleased to hear that. I wish we didn’t have to be so secretive about his illness, but there are still the misinformed out there.”

“I know. He’ll be up at Bethesda for another week. He’ll go back every year for an additional week of training.”

“Yes, they have an efficient program up there. Switching gears, how’s our project coming along?”

“Exceptionally. He’s an unbelievably fast learner, and I’m amazed how far he’s come in just a few days.”

Ally then went on to describe Tyler’s training.

“Very efficient; not that I’m surprised, considering his teacher,” replied Robert. “What’s next?”

“I’m thinking of taking him out for a drink,” replied Ally.

Robert stared back. “You’re kidding, right?”

Ally shook her head. “As Tyler gets used to being Sherri, I’ll take her to a bar that’s transgendered friendly. It’ll be a good introduction for Sherri and give her a good lesson in dealing with men.”

“When?” asked Robert.

“Not until I get back from St. Louis,” replied Ally.

Robert took a sip of his coffee and smiled. “You’re doing a great job, and I want to thank you.”

“Hey, just part of the job,” replied Ally.

“It’s more than that,” replied Robert.

Ally shrugged her shoulders.

Robert pointed at her right shoulder with his coffee mug. “By the way, how’re you doing?”

“It’s okay. I’m finally starting to accept that it’s just something that I’m going to live with,” replied Ally.

“What about the nightmares?” asked Robert.

“I still get them occasionally.”

Robert nodded.

“Do they ever go away?”

Robert shook his head. “I was shot when I was twenty-three, and I can still close my eyes and replay exactly what happened. I still get nightmares, but I’ve learned to live with them.”

Ally’s left hand moved up to her right shoulder and began to rub it.

“Does that help?” asked Robert.

Ally pulled her hand down quickly. She then chuckled. “It’s sort of become a habit.”

“I’ve noticed,” replied Robert. “I wouldn’t worry about it.”

“I think what bothers me most was that I screwed up. If I hadn’t opened the door, he never would have gotten in.”

“You don’t know that. We found burglary tools in his car, so he was going to get in one way or another.”

Ally nodded and sipped her Diet Coke.

“Yes, you screwed up by opening the door, but you rebounded and kept your head. You stayed calm and held him at bay. That’s the mark of a good agent.”

Ally put her soda down. “He still stabbed me.”

Robert nodded. “Could have been worse. He was a big man and could have easily disarmed a lesser agent.”

Ally smiled. “Thanks.”

“It’s okay, Ally. I still replay my actions when I was shot,” replied Robert.

“I still want to hear that story some day.”

“It’s ancient history and I’d hate to bore you with it.”

“I like history,” replied Ally.

Robert smiled. “I’ll tell you another day.”

Chapter 18

“So when do you want to try this?” asked Tyler, sitting in front of his makeup mirror.

“Sit up straight please! No sooner than next Friday. I located a transgendered friendly bar in Arlington,” replied Ally as she inspected Tyler.

He was dressed in a short black leather skirt, four-inch heels, and a purple silk top. His makeup was on a bit heavier, per Ally’s instructions.

“This would be a good outfit for you to wear,” she noted.

“If you say so. Damn, I can’t get my eyeliner on straight; I keep blinking as I get closer with it!” exclaimed Tyler.

“Take your time, and don’t try to put it all on at once,” instructed Ally. “Also lover the volume of your voice.”

“Sorry. So which wig should I wear?” he asked.

“Oh, I’d go with the one with all the curls,” stated Ally, referring to the shoulder length blonde wig. Thanks to its many large curls, it would give Tyler a big hair look.

“Okay,” replied Tyler as he worked on his eyeliner.

“If it makes you feel any better, I still have trouble with it,” confessed Ally.

“How old were you when you first starting using makeup?” asked Tyler.

“I guess I was around twelve. My mom didn’t use much makeup, so my options were rather limited,” replied Ally.

“I can’t image what it must have been like for you. It must be awful growing up with that sort of conflict.”

“It was, but things have worked out nicely,” replied Ally. “My parents may not totally understand it all, but then again neither do I sometimes. They do accept me as their daughter, and I can’t ask for more than that.”

“I notice you’re wearing an engagement ring, how do they feel about that?” asked Tyler, as he shifted to mascara.

“They love Carol,” replied Ally.

Tyler stopped and turned to Ally. “You’re with a woman?”

Ally laughed. “Sure, why not? Gender is different than sexuality.”

“Of course, sorry for that.”

“No need to apologize,” replied Ally. “Don’t blink so much, you’re getting mascara on your cheeks.”

Tyler turned back to the mirror. “Crap. I look like a raccoon.”

“It’s an easy fix,” stated Ally, as she picked up a Q-tip and showed Tyler how to clean off the excess mascara. She was also proud that she didn’t laugh at Tyler’s makeup disaster.

“Back to us going out, are you sure I’m ready?”

Ally shrugged her shoulders as she handed Tyler the wig. “No, but then again neither are most girls. But it will give you good experience when you chat online. You can relate both the fear and the pure elation of going out in public.”

Tyler laughed. “Is that what it’s like?”

Ally nodded. “Have you ever gone scuba diving?”

Tyler nodded.

“It’s sort of like the feeling you have on the boat just before you jump in for the first time. There’s a moment of hesitation as the fear of the unknown sweeps through you, then you overcome it and jump in.”

Tyler nodded.

Ally handed him the wig, and he slipped it on.

He then turned and looked at Ally. “Well?”

“Not so low,” corrected Ally. “Your natural hairline isn’t one inch above your eyebrows!”

Tyler adjusted his wig and picked up a brush to style the wig.

“Nice,” remarked Ally. “You’ll definitely turn a few heads.”

“Isn’t my look a little… overdone?” asked Sherri.

“Exactly! It’s just what you’re looking for, trust me on this one.”

“What about going out shopping and stuff like that?”

“Let’s work on your initial look, Sherri. You can dress more mainstream later. I think you need some photos for your profile.”

Sherri got up and retrieved her camera.

“You’re building up a nice portfolio of pics,” noted Ally. “You’ll need to add a few in lingerie.”

Sherri shook her head. “No way.”

“No, you need them. Men will ask, correction, demand to see them.”

“What is it about men and transgendered?”

“It’s a sexual preference. Some men like a woman with a difference.”

“Why not just go out with another guy?”

Ally shook her head. “They don’t want another man. They’ll tell you that they’re not gay, even after they ask you how big you are.”

Sherri laughed.

“I’m not kidding. You’ll see when you get in the chatrooms.”

“I’ve been hanging out in some of the rooms that you’ve told me about. It’s pretty eye-opening.”

“That’s one way of describing it.”

Sherri set up the camera’s timer and posed for several shots.

“I’ll let you do the lingerie ones by yourself,” stated Ally.

“So how do I really look?” asked Sherri.

“Very attractive. With practice, you could pass really easily,” noted Ally.

“So I’m not passable now?”

“You look good, but there’s still a roughness about you, a masculine edge, which is excellent, as that’s what Loren is looking for,” explained Ally.

Sherri nodded.

“Now because of that, you’ll need to be careful when you go out, especially by yourself. I know you can handle yourself, but some men get really stupid around transgendered women,” explained Ally. “They can also get violent.”

“Will that be a problem at the club?”

“Not inside, but sometimes the bottom feeders hang out nearby looking for trouble,” replied Ally.

“Oh, when we go to the club, how will you dress?”

“Stylish, of course!” replied Ally.

Sherri laughed. “That’s not what I mean!”

Ally laughed. “I know. If you mean am I going for a drag look, the answer is no. I’ll be your female friend.”

Sherri nodded.

“We want you to get the attention. Men going there aren’t interested in real women.”

“Is that what you consider yourself?” asked Sherri.

“Yes. I’ve been approved for surgery and am waiting for a final date this fall. I know that I’m physically transgendered, but inside I see myself as female.”

Sherri nodded.

“Well, I need to get going; I’ll see you Monday,” stated Ally.

“Sounds good. You still flying to St. Louis?” asked Sherri.

“Yes. It’s necessary,” replied Ally.

“So what else do I need to work on?” asked Sherri.

Ally rubbed her chin. “First thing is to pay more attention to your posture, sit up straight at all times.”

Sherri immediately adjusted her position in the chair. “How’s this?”

Ally nodded. “Better. Now, your voice is mid-ranged, so you don’t sound too macho, but don’t talk so loud. Also pay attention to the way you talk and the language you use. Remember the image you’re trying to present.”

Sherri nodded. “I pay more attention to that in the future.”

“I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

“Thanks again for everything.”

Ally smiled. “See you later.”

Chapter 19

Friday morning Ally reviewed the ongoing investigations. St. Louis was still lagging well behind the others. When she finished, she walked down to the Op-Center. This wasn’t to check up on Donna’s team; rather it was just Ally’s way of staying directly connected to fighting the online predators.

Donna and two other agents were hovering around a computer when Ally walked in. Obviously they’re onto something, thought Ally. She then remembered the thrill of the hunt, especially when you knew you’d hooked a predator.

“Ally, we’ve got a live one,” stated Donna as she saw her boss approach.

“Good, which case?” asked Ally.

“Totally new one, Alyce was just trolling and she got a hit,” explained Donna.

Alyce was one of the new agents, recruited by Donna. She was a slightly built young woman, with short spiked brown hair.

When the agents weren’t on a case, they would often enter chatrooms as a bait-teen to see if they attracted any attention. Ally had done it many times, and it had often led to some of her best arrests.

“What do you have?’ asked Ally.

“I’m playing a teenage girl here in the Beltway. This guy hooked onto to me as soon as I entered the room,” stated Alyce. “Here’s the profile.”

“What seems out of the ordinary?” asked Ally, as she read the file.

Without looking up from the screen, Alyce answered. “He’s way too aggressive. He says he’s sixteen, but I know he’s much older. As soon as we went private, he began to talk about getting together.”

Ally nodded. Alyce was one of the rising stars of Donna’s department.

“He’s already talking about wanting to meet me,” continued Alyce, as she adjusted her glasses. “His name is Barry.”

Ally reached down and picked up the bio-sheet that Alyce was using for the bait-teen she was playing. The teen was fifteen and was called Danielle. The sheet described her as a loner, and a latchkey kid. These sorts of things acted as honey for the predators.

Ally was tempted to offer advice, but could see that between Donna and Alyce they had everything under control.

“Let me know how it turns out,” stated Ally. She then forced herself to walk away.

“Will do, Ally,” replied Donna.

Ally glanced up at the Wall of Shame and noted that the number of names had grown since she had turned the department over to Donna. She scanned the list and could remember every single case. As much as it pained her not to be on a computer hunting down the predators, it made her feel good knowing that she now had dozens of agents out there hunting the hunters.

Later that morning, Donna stopped by. “The predator just signed off. He signed off by hoping that he can get together with Danielle next week.”

“How’re you handling it?”

“Alyce will play the teen, she’s done it before. I’ve already alerted Spec-Ops for backup.”

“What about the local law enforcement?”

“I’m keeping them out of it until the last minute. The area where the predator hinted at getting together doesn’t have a very progressive police department,” replied Donna. “We’ll try and see if we can get him to come into the city.”

Ally nodded. They usually tried to include the locals in the cases, but they had found that some departments were better than others. Many of the smaller departments lacked the personal to assist and even worse weren’t trained to conduct stakeouts.

“Still, it does go down in the burbs I’ll let them know the day of the sting, that way they won’t mess it up,” continued Donna.

“That’s a little harsh, isn’t it?” asked Ally with a grin.

“Sorry, but I’m still pissed about the idiots who almost screwed up our arrest last month.”

Ally nodded. A meeting had been set up at a local park in a Maryland suburb with a man thinking he was about to meet a fourteen-year-old girl. The local PD had been notified, but they jumped the gun and swept in with several black and whites, lights on and sirens blasting. The suspect panicked and ran off before they got him doing anything illegal on tape. Thankfully, he’d turned out to being a paroled sex offender and just being with the bait-teen was enough to put him back behind bars.

“I’m just glad that no one got hurt,” continued Donna.

“I agree. Fortunately, the perp was more interested in escaping than taking a hostage,” replied Ally.

“Well, I’m determined to never let something like that happen again on my watch,” stated Donna in a very determined manner.

Ally nodded.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m not down on all local police, but I’m very wary about some of them,” continued Donna.

Ally popped open a can of Diet Coke. “Anything else, before you leave?”

Donna shook her head and smiled. “Nope, that just about covers it. So do you have any big plans for the weekend?”

“Nothing so far. I think Carol and I are just going hang around and play with Bogie.”

“Ohhh, exciting,” replied Donna.

Ally smiled back. “Have a safe drive down to Norfolk.”

Chapter 20

Ally walked back into her office after a relaxing weekend with Carol. Besides amusing Bogie, they had taken a long drive into the country and stopped at several antique shops. They didn’t buy a thing, but it was still nice to do something together.

Donna was also looking refreshed. She stopped by to let Ally know that Barry had sent Danielle several e-mails over the weekend.

“It looks like he really wants to meet her,” stated Donna.

Ally nodded. “I’d expect him to set up a meeting this week.”

“I agree” replied Donna. “Steve has placed a support team on alert. They’ll provide our main security.”

Ally reached into her mini-fridge and pulled out a Diet Coke. “How’s Ed?”

Donna smiled and then winked. “Tired.”

Ally laughed.

“We had a wonderful weekend down in Oracoke, you and Carol should go down there sometime,” continued Donna.

“I’ve heard it’s nice,” replied Ally. “Maybe we can go down there in the fall while I’m recovering.”

“Wow, you mean it’s actually going to happen?”

“Very funny.”

“Well, you’ve had so many delays, I’ve begun to wonder if you would ever get a date for surgery,” continued Donna.

“You’re not the only one,” replied Ally.

“Do you have a set date?”

“Not exactly, but they’ve told me early September. The exact date won’t be set for a few weeks,” replied Ally.

“How do you feel about it?”

“A range of emotions ranging from elation to total fear,” replied Ally.

“How long will you be out of the office?”

“The doctors say at least a month, although I plan on working from home sooner than that,” replied Ally. “The offices will run themselves until I get back, assuming I’m still needed.”

“Please!”

Ally sipped her soda and shrugged her shoulders. “Seriously, I might be putting myself out of a job.”

“Well, we’ll try to screw up as much as possible while you’re recovering.”

Ally laughed. “Deal!”

“When are you flying to St. Louis?” asked Donna.

“I’m due to get there early tomorrow morning,” replied Ally.

“When will you get back?”

“That depends on Shaw.”

“Good luck,” replied Donna.

“Thanks, I’ll need it.”

Chapter 21

Ally opened up the personnel file for William Shaw. He was born in Minnesota and had attended the University of Minnesota. Upon graduation, he’d joined the Agency. In his sixteen years, he had worked mostly in narcotics and armed robbery. He had extensive experience in setting up stakeouts and undercover operations. All his performance evaluations rated him excellent in all areas.

His personal life was uneven. He had married shortly after joining the Agency, and divorced ten years later. His ex-wife presently lived in Chicago and worked in insurance.

William’s previous assignment had been to armed robbery. He was driving to his home in the St. Louis suburbs when his car skidded on some black ice. The car spun around and slammed into a tree. William’s left leg was broken in two places and was currently held together with steel rods. The injury currently kept him off field work.

She paged through the rest of his record. There were no red flags. The file mentioned that he did have a temper, but Ally couldn’t hold that against him. Overall, William was a superb agent, although he had turned down several promotions, due to the fact that they would take him away from field work. Both, Robert and Steve were right, Shaw would be a great asset for her department.

She closed the file and thought about what she had to do. The easy thing would be to let him go and bring in someone else. But there was a little voice in the back of her head telling her that she needed to keep him.

Chapter 22

Ally stopped by the computer room that Tyler was using for his online chatting.

“I think I’m ready to set up my profile for the chatroom,” stated Tyler.

“Okay, I can help you do that,” replied Ally. “I want you to fill out this bio-sheet first; it’s the one we use for setting up our bait profiles online.”

Tyler spent an hour filling out the sheet, careful not to make any mistakes that would give away his true identity.

“Do you still have the photos loaded into your digital camera?” asked Ally.

Tyler nodded.

“Good, that will help attract attention,” replied Ally. “We’ll post your profile on two or three of the more popular sites. We’ll even mention that you’re hoping to move to California soon.”

While Ally wasn’t a computer expert, she had set up numerous profiles online, and in a short time Sherri’s profiles were posted for the entire world to see. They used several of the photos, including one of Sherri in a red lace teddy.

“Do you really need to post that one?” asked Tyler.

“You look good, don’t be embarrassed,” replied Ally.

“I just can’t believe that it’s me,” replied Tyler shaking his head as he looked his image.

“When you’re undercover, do you ever forget who you are?” asked Ally.

Tyler nodded. “It can be very seductive. When I was in the mob, it was very tempting to go over to the other side.”

“Really?” asked Ally.

“Yes. The money was part of it, but it was the sense of power, the feeling that you could do anything you wanted and get away with it.”

Ally nodded.

“Don’t worry; I never seriously considered becoming a wiseguy,” added Tyler.

“How are the rest of the preparations coming?”

“My resume was sent to Loren’s company this morning,” answered Tyler.

“Aren’t you worried that they’ll check up on you and find that you really don’t exist?”

“No, not really. The agency has a great system to set up deep cover ops. They’ve never let me down. Sean has an apartment, mailing address, bank accounts, credit card debts, driver’s license, and phone number in Philly. I’ve been using his credit cards to order Sherri’s stuff. If they call the references, they’ll reach agents who will swear what a great worker Sean is. You know, if you ever get tired of what you’re doing, they’d love to get someone with your resourcefulness in their department.”

Ally shook her head. “I love what I do, even if I don’t get to do the dirty work anymore.”

“You’re lucky, most people don’t get a position they love that much.”

“We get to put real monsters behind bars,” replied Ally.

“Remember that tomorrow when you’re in St. Louis,” stated Tyler.

“I will, thanks,” replied Ally.

Chapter 23

Ally and Carol walked down the street together. It was a pleasant evening and they’d decided to take full advantage of it.

“Oh, I called Maggie and confirmed that we’ll be having dinner with them this weekend,” stated Carol. “Did you know that they’re looking for a house?”

Ally shook her head.

“Maggie wants to have a house with a yard,” continued Carol. “She wants Steven to have a backyard to play in. They’re also want to get a dog.”

“Sounds like she’s really getting into the whole mother thing.”

“I know. She told me that she never thought about having children, but she began to think about it when she adopted Beth. Her feelings came to a head when she and Steve got married. She said that she loves her career, but she wanted something more.”

“What about you? Have you thought about having a baby?”

Carol smiled back. “Well, I’m not getting any younger, and we do have your deposits in the sperm bank.”

Ally stopped and cocked her head. “You mean that?”

Carol nodded. “Sure, but let’s wait until after your operation and recovery. I’ll be busy enough taking care of you.”

“That makes sense. But what about the status of our child? I mean the law isn’t exactly favorable for same sex marriages. I don’t need a slip of paper to state that we’re a couple, but what if something happens?”

Carol smiled and slipped her arm around Ally. “I’ve been talking to a lawyer friend. She suggests that we get married before your surgery. True, you have legal status as a woman, but physically you’re still male.”

“Barely,” replied Ally with a wink.

“Close enough to get around the idiotic laws,” replied Carol.

“So does that mean you want to get married?”

Carol nodded. “Just like you said, I already consider us a couple, but it would make it legal for our child.”

“How do you want to do this?”

“I don’t suggest a big church wedding, if that’s what you mean,” replied Carol with a smile. “Besides the cost for two bridal gowns would be prohibitive.”

Ally laughed. “I agree, why not a small service with our closest friends.”

Carol nodded. “Sounds perfect.”

They walked down to the end of the block and stopped in front of a coffeehouse. Ally turned and looked at Carol.

“So, do I become Ally Martin-Burns or Ally Martin?”

“It doesn’t matter to me, but we should decide on something, at least for the sake of the child. If you want we can pick a whole new name. However, it’s not something we need to decide this evening.”

“How about Dean Martin?

“Or Martin & Lewis?” suggested Carol with a laugh.

Ally nodded. “I love you.”

Carol smiled and leaned over and kissed Ally. “I love you too, Ally.”

Chapter 24

Ally drove her rental car to the Agency’s St. Louis office and, after passing through several security checks, she entered the building.

She walked up to the third floor, and entered the area assigned to her Midwest office. Immediately, her worst fears were confirmed, only two agents were working. The rest of the stations weren’t even set up. The computers that were supposed to be hooked up were nowhere to be seen, and the corresponding tables were bare.

Ally counted to ten to control her temper and walked confidently towards the two agents. She recognized both of them; they were the two agents whose names were on all the reports. The male agent was named Jonathan Morley; he was twenty-six and had been an agent for two years. Ally remembered that he had previously been assigned to the financial fraud division.

The other agent was Erin Mallory, twenty-five. She had been recruited from the Chicago PD specifically for this position.

The two agents looked up at Ally and, judging from their expressions, she was the last person they expected to see.

“Ms. Burns, what are you doing here?” asked a stunned Erin.

“Seeing what’s going on here, Erin. Where is the rest of the department?” asked Ally.

Jonathan smirked. “Rest of the department? This is it.”

Ally sat down next to the two agents. “You mean you’ve never seen anyone else, Jonathan?”

They both shook their heads.

“I’ve seen the names of the other agents assigned here, but they’ve all been reassigned to other departments,” confessed Erin.

Ally stared back at the short red-headed agent. “What about the rest of the equipment?”

Jonathan adjusted his glasses. “All sent to other departments. Hell, we had to fight to keep these.”

Ally noted the frustration in his voice.

“Do you have a copy of the inventory?” asked Ally.

Jonathan nodded and walked over to a filing cabinet. “I also have the full roster, if you want that too.”

Ally smiled. “Yes, I’d like that.”

Just as Jonathan handed her the lists, a tall muscular man, with a short military style haircut walked into the operations center. He was wearing a tailored three-piece suit and walked with a slight limp. Ally immediately recognized him as William Shaw. Judging by the look on his face, he wasn’t pleased to see Ally.

“Excuse me, but I would prefer that you talked to me first before inspecting my office,” he exclaimed. The anger in his voice barely contained.

Ally fought back her own anger. “This isn’t an inspection; however, I was just on my way to speak with you, Agent Shaw.”

“Mallory, Morley, get back to work,” he growled. “My office is this way, Burns, follow me.”

Ally stood up and glared at him. “Excuse me, but I would prefer that you address me as Agent Burns.”

William started back. “Whatever. If it makes you feel better, then follow me, AGENT Burns.”

Ally stopped and turned to Erin and Jonathan. “Thank you for your assistance, Agents Morley and Mallory.”

Ally followed William Shaw into his office. The first thing she noticed was that the entire wall behind his desk was covered with awards and citations.

Ally closed the door behind her, and then sat down across from him.

“I don’t appreciate you talking to my agents, without seeing me first. How about some professional courtesy?” demanded William.

“First, I’m your supervisor. I don’t need you permission to talk to agents who essentially work for me. And far as professional courtesy goes, it’s a two way street. Now would you please tell me just what the hell you have been doing here?”

William leaned back in his chair. “What do you mean?” He had a smug smile on his face.

“You have twelve agents assigned to this department, yet, there are only two working here. Where are the others?”

“Temporarily assigned to other offices in the bureau. I used my prerogative to assign them to real law enforcement.”

Ally counted to five before continuing. “And the computers?”

“Likewise loaned out. Computers are expensive and I figured we didn’t need all of them.”

“I see, so you don’t consider this office important?”

William smirked. “Important? Please! Look, I know as the ‘big cheese’, you think what you do is a big deal. Well, let me tell you that this is far from real law enforcement. Look behind me Missy, those are for real crime fighting, not stopping some pervert from getting his jollies.”

Ally cringed when he called her Missy. “Real crime fighting, huh? So I guess you don’t consider me a real agent either?”

“Among other things,” he replied almost under his breath.

So far it was going as bad as Ally could imagine. Still something seemed off. William’s reaction was definitely out of character. It was as if he was deliberately trying to get fired. She decided to see how far he was willing to go. “First off, I was a police detective before I was recruited to the Agency. I know what real crime is. If I was so inclined, I could have an ‘I love me’ wall in my office even more impressive than yours. However, I’m not here to compare our respective crime fighting resumes. What brought me out here is that this department is not operating in accordance with Agency directives.”

William stared back at her without saying a word.

“Now, as far as my age and gender are concerned, that is not your concern. I was promoted because of my experience and for the results that I have achieved. If you want to make that an issue, I suggest that you read the Agency’s equal opportunity statement.”

Again William didn’t say a word.

Ally then leaned over his desk. “If you think that you’re going to disregard my authority and get away with it, you’re in for a rude awakening.”

William stared back, absorbing her words.

Ally continued. “You say that by loaning out the other agents and equipment that you’re fight real crime; have you even bothered to check what the other regional offices have accomplished?”

William shrugged his shoulders.

“Do you approve of sexual predators abusing youngsters?” asked Ally.

“Hell no! I think sex offenders are scum; it’s just that it’s a local problem, let the locals handle it,” snapped back William defensively.

“It’s not just a local problem… but then again you would have known this if you’d bothered to take an interest in your job,” retorted Ally.

William just glared back.

“The easy thing for me to do would be to pick up the phone and call DC and have you relieved. After all, I didn’t want you to lead this office in the first place. I was told that you were a professional and would do a good job. I have my doubts about that. Yes, the easy thing would be to just let you walk away, but I’m not doing that. No, I have a better idea.”

William sat up in his chair. Ally noticed a slightly worried look on his face. Good, she thought. She suspected that he realized that he might have pushed it too far. Ally knew that how she handled this would affect her own career. As much as she missed the day-to-day ops, she did enjoy being in charge. She also knew that the Director was watching, as he didn’t miss a thing.

William was worried. It was true that he didn’t really want the job, but being fired would ruin any chances he might have to become the head of a real office. He had thought that by being insubordinate that Ally would just let him leave, but apparently he’d underestimated her.

He sighed and began to speak. “Look, maybe we got off on the wrong foot, I want to apologize….”

Ally put up her hand. “Please, let me talk. I’ve decided that I’m bringing you to DC for a week, to observe and learn a little about what we do. If at the end of the trip you want out, I will approve your transfer, no questions asked. I can talk to you until I’m blue in the face about what we’ve done, but I know that won’t work.”

“Really?” He was stunned by her offer. Maybe he was getting his way after all!

“Yes, I’ll make all the arrangements with Robert Ledyard. How about next week?”

“Okay, but I think this is just a waste of time, I just took this job until I can pass my physical and get back in the field. I’m all for putting away perverts, but I’d just rather fight real crime.”

“Let’s see if you feel the same way after your visit, William,” replied Ally. She then cracked a slight smile. “By the way, you can call me Ally.”

William was taken back by this sudden change of tactics by Ally. “Um, okay… Ally.”

“So, is next week good for you?”

William nodded.

“In the meantime, I want all the agents who are on ‘temporary assignment’ brought back here, permanently, along with the computers,” stated Ally firmly. “That’s non-negotiable, and I will not approve your transfer until they’re back.”

“That may take some time,” replied William nervously.

“You have three weeks to have them all back here,” ordered Ally. “That should give them time to finish up any cases they’re presently assigned to.”

William nodded, knowing argument was a waste of time.

Ally’s eyes met his. “I’m not going to have you ruin all the good work that we’ve done so far. You may not think that we’re fighting real crime, and I may not be able to change your mind. But you will not trash this regional office. If you’re not the person for this job, then I’ll find someone who is, but they will start with the personnel and equipment that was budgeted to them. Do you understand?”

“I’ll do my best.”

Ally shook her head. “No, that’s not what I’m ordering you to do. I don’t want your best. I want all twelve agents working in the operations center, with all their assigned equipment. That is something that I cannot and will not overlook. I can always turn this over to Internal Affairs.”

William felt a chill run down his spine. It was clear that his career would be over if he didn’t comply.

“I’d like to spend the rest of the day with your agents, if you don’t mind?” asked Ally.

“Sure,” he replied softly.

“Great, thank you for your cooperation, William.”

“You’re welcome… Ally.” He accepted the fact that he had greatly underestimated her. He wasn’t sold on what she was telling him, but he would go along with it for now. So, he’d get a trip to DC and see how they’ve busted a few perverts, and then he’d be free to seek out a new position.

“By the way, how’s your physical therapy coming along?” asked Ally. “You injured your left leg in a car crash right?”

He nodded. “Alright, I guess.”

“Rehab can be pretty painful. I’m convinced my therapist is a genuine sadist.”

William nodded. He wondered what she was talking about. He would have to do a little background check on her, but first he had a series of phone calls to make.

Ally walked out of his office, pleased with her performance. She called Robert and he agreed to arrange for William to come to DC. He thought it was a great idea.

Ally discovered that, in spite of the general neglect by William, Erin and Jonathan weren’t disenchanted with fighting Internet sex crime. As she worked with them, she found that they had a lot of good ideas and were eager to turn the department around.

“Once you get back up to a full roster, I want you to immediately start interacting with the police departments in Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, and Houston. Then spread out to other cities. The more departments we get on our side the better,” stated Ally. “We have a travel budget, and I expect you to use it.”

“I’ve already made some unofficial contact with Chicago,” confessed Erin.

Ally nodded. “Very good.”

Over the next couple of hours, Ally reviewed the cases they were working on. They had developed a lead on a possible serial molester in a suburb of St. Louis.

“What do we do when he wants to make contact?” asked Jonathan. “We don’t have enough people to run a stakeout.”

“That’s when you contact the locals,” replied Ally.

“But won’t they take credit for the arrest?” asked Erin.

Ally turned to her. “So?”

Erin began to reply but stopped.

Ally smiled. “What’s important is that we get another sexual predator off the street. If the local cops want to take full credit, so be it. However, as you work with them, you’ll find that they’ll be more willing to work with you. This isn’t a competition. This isn’t a theory; we’ve seen it happen with dozens of police departments.”

Jonathan shook his head in disbelief. “Won’t that ruin our reputation with the cops?” He had a big smile on his face. “I mean, they’ll actually think that we’re out there to help them.”

“It’s a risk I’m willing to take,” replied Ally with a grin. “We can’t win this fight by ourselves. Even if we dedicated everyone in the Agency to fighting sexual crime, we would be outnumbered. So it’s better to get the local cops on our side. Look at the map, if we can get the locals to dedicate just a few officers to fight Internet sexual crime, we’ll put a lot of predators in jail and protect a lot of innocent kids.”

Erin and Jonathan nodded.

“Cooperation also means that I want you to work with the other regional offices. I just want results. Everyone gets credit when we get an arrest.”

William was listening from just outside the operations center. He had to admit that Ally had a real passion for her job. Still, it wasn’t real crime fighting. Sitting at a computer, pretending to be a teenager? What nonsense, he thought.

Chapter 25

William had located most of the computer equipment and had talked to the other departments concerning his “loaned out” agents. Several of them would be back in the office by the end of the week. Thankfully, none of the other offices made too much of a fuss over returning his agents. They thanked him for the temporary assistance.

He then called a friend in personnel and asked him what he knew about Ally and her injury. He suspected it was some sports related injury, as he doubted she had ever been hurt in the line of duty.

“What’s her name?” asked Jeff.

“Ally Burns,” replied William.

“Ally Burns? That name is familiar.”

“I’d appreciate anything you can find out,” replied William.

“Will do, buddy. So are you on for poker this Friday?”

“Wouldn’t miss it.”

Twenty minutes later, William’s phone rang.

“Bill, I got what you requested,” stated Jeff.

“And?”

“I realized why her name is familiar; she was nearly killed during the apprehension of a serial killer. She volunteered to play the bait for a real psycho. He put a hunting knife clean through her shoulder.”

“What happened?” asked William, shocked by what his poker buddy was telling him.

“The guy broke into the stakeout house and attacked her. She still managed to empty her 38 into the guy. He later died in prison from his wounds. Oh, she was also awarded a citation for valor.”

“Thanks, Jeff.”

“From what my friends back in DC say, she’s pretty tough,” added Jeff.

“I’m starting to find that out,” replied William.

“You do know about her… sexual status?” asked Jeff.

“Yes, I already knew about that.”

“My friend back in DC says she’s pretty cute.”

William chuckled. “I guess she is at that. See you Friday, Jeff.”

William hung up the phone. Shit, he thought, I sure look like an ass. He rubbed his leg. It was just an uneventful single car accident. He was just driving home from work and lost control and hit a tree. Not only was she wounded in the line of duty, but she had been downright heroic.

He retrieved the case file from the secure net and read the after action report. He shook his head in disbelief as he read how Ally had been able to put six shots into her attacker. He was shocked when he saw the photo of the knife that had wounded her. He had been a hunter his whole life and had seen what a knife like that could do.

Leaning back in his chair, William contemplated his actions. Today had not been one of his better performances. He replayed how he’d acted and cringed. He couldn’t believe that he had made that remark concerning Ally’s gender. Yes, he knew she was transgendered, and he also knew that the Agency’s equal opportunity statement protected her. Personally he really didn’t care, as it was her business, but he couldn’t resist using it to get a dig in. It wouldn’t be the first time that his big mouth had gotten him in trouble. He debated apologizing or just hoping that she had forgotten it. No, she wouldn’t forget it, he thought. She was giving him a chance, and he had no choice but to accept it.

There was a knock on his door. He snapped out of his thoughts and sat up. Ally was standing in the doorway.

“I just wanted to say good night. I’ll see you in DC Monday,” stated Ally.

William nodded. He had already seen the e-mail of his travel itinerary. “You leaving already?”

Ally nodded. “I’ve accomplished what I wanted to do. I was able to get on a flight back to DC tonight.

William debated telling her what he’d accomplished, but decided not to. She had made it very clear that he was supposed to restore the department. “See you Monday.”

“Good. By the way, those are two very sharp agents.”

William nodded. “By the way, do you play poker?”

Ally shook her head. “No, never got into it, why?”

“I was just thinking that you’d be pretty good at it,” replied William.

Chapter 26

Ally arrived at Dulles a little after midnight. She had called Carol and told her that she’d be home soon. Overall, she was pleased with how she’d handled William. She’d even controlled her temper.

The drive home was quick, as traffic was light. Ally was pleased to see that Carol was waiting up for her.

Carol gave her a big hug and a kiss when she entered the house. Bogie attacked her ankles, but Ally suspected that the intent was the same.

“I missed both of you,” replied Ally.

Carol brewed up some tea and let Allie tell her what had happened. Ally sat down at the kitchen table with Bogie in her lap.

“I’m very proud of the way you handled it,” stated Carol, as she finished off her tea.

“I was so close to losing my temper when he made that crack regarding my gender. I think he was just trying to piss me off.”

“Maybe.”

“He called me Missy!”

“You’ve been called worse,” replied Carol.

“Thanks for waiting up for me,” stated Ally.

“Sleep is overrated.”

Ally laughed. “Speaking of which, we’d better go to bed; it’s either very late or very early!”

Carol yawned and nodded. “Looks like another day of caffeine overload.”

“You make that sound like a bad thing,” quipped Ally, as she stood up.

Chapter 27

Ally didn’t show up in the office until ten. She immediately called Robert, and he agreed to meet her over lunch. After opening a can of Diet Coke, she checked her e-mail and reviewed the reports from the other departments.

Donna arrived an hour later. “Joe called me last night, and he’s slowly adjusting to his situation.”

“When will he be back?”

“Monday, he rather anxious to get back to work,” replied Donna.

“Good.”

“So, how did it go?” asked Donna with a grin.

“We’ll be having a visitor on Monday for a week,” replied Ally.

“You don’t mean William Shaw?”

Ally nodded. “I’m going to show him how we do things, among other things.”

Donna sat down across from Ally. “Like what?”

“I’d like him to meet Celeste and hear about the kids we’ve rescued.”

“Maybe you should take him to meet Margo,” suggested Donna.

Ally shook her head. “I wouldn’t give her the pleasure; she’d get under his skin too easily.”

“Oh… so, he’s one of those?”

“I’m not sure. He seems like a tight ass, but I’m not sure if it’s an act or not. He has an excellent record.”

Donna nodded.

“So, how’s the case coming along?”

“Barry’s definitely interested in our bait teen. Alyce is a little nervous, but definitely anxious to nail him.”

“This is her first time as bait?”

Donna nodded. “Yes, but I have confidence in her. She’s been on several stakeouts.”

Ally nodded. “Well, I have to go; I’m meeting Robert for lunch.”

“Have fun.”

Chapter 28

“I read your e-mail concerning William. You were more than fair,” stated Robert.

They were sitting in his office, eating their lunches.

“I really had to hold back my temper, especially when he made that gender crack,” replied Ally as she peeled an orange.

“What do you have planned for his visit?”

“I’ll let him spend some time with Donna and her department. I’ll also have him talk to Rich in missing persons, so he can see that we work with other departments.”

“What about the local police departments?”

Ally nodded, as she popped an orange slice in her mouth. “Already thought of that.”

“Good. Anything else?”

“Yes, I’m calling Celeste and seeing if she can talk with him. I’m going to see if Jenna’s available too.”

“I’ll support your decision regarding him. Do you have anyone in mind to replace him?”

“There’s an agent assigned to the missing persons office in Boston that we’ve worked with a few times. He might be interested in taking the job. He’s set up a pretty good operation up there.”

Robert nodded. “Hopefully it won’t come to that.”

“I just want us to have a good agent in charge of the St. Louis office.”

“Oh, your special project just got moved up. He’ll be heading out west in one week.”

Ally’s eyes opened up wide. “Really?”

“We’ll talk about it after lunch.”

Ally wanted to say more, but knew she had to wait until the briefing.

Chapter 29

Ally and Robert walked together to Briefing Room X-Ray. They entered to find Tyler was already inside.

“How was St. Louis?” asked Tyler.

“Interesting,” replied Ally.

Tyler nodded. “I suppose you want to know why you’re here. I have an interview next week in LA with Loren’s company. If I get hired, I’ll be working in the financial records division.”

“Financial records? That’ll get you a background check to be sure,” replied Ally.

“I’m pleased about that myself. I just applied for general office work.”

“Do you feel that you’re ready?”

Tyler shrugged his shoulders. “You’ve given me a great background. Besides, any mistakes I make in terms of my feminine side can just be considered part of my learning curve.”

“You still want to go out Friday?”

Tyler nodded. “Absolutely! I want my first time out in public to be with a friend.”

“Where are you going?” asked Robert.

“It’s just a bar that’s friendly to transgendered women,” replied Ally. “Don’t worry; it’s safe, and just the sort of place a girl like Sherri would go. Would you like to join us?”

“I’ll pass, thanks,” replied Robert.

Ally smiled and then turned to Tyler. “How long will you stay out there?”

Tyler shrugged his shoulders. “At least a few months. If nothing happens then they’ll think of a way to get me out without raising suspicions.”

She nodded. “So this might have all been for nothing?”

“That’s always a possibility with deep undercover work. On the plus side, I now have greater respect for what a woman goes through getting ready to go out.”

Ally laughed. “I have another question; does it bother you that you’re so out on a limb?”

“I’d be lying if I said that it didn’t bother me. Without giving too much away, I am watched, as discretely as possible,” replied Tyler.

“That’s good to know,” replied Ally.

“So, what time will you be by on Friday?” asked Tyler.

“Can you be ready by eight?” asked Ally.

“I can manage that,” he replied.

“Cool. You sure you don’t want to join us, Robert?” asked Ally.

Robert just shook his head slowly.

Chapter 30

Friday evening Ally walked up to Tyler’s room. She was wearing a short black cocktail dress. She wanted to look classy, while at the same time dressed to have a good time.

Ally smiled thinking how nervous she’d been the first time she had gone out to a bar dressed. She had gotten her nerve up to go to The Queen Mary in Studio City. Part of her fear was due to the possibility of being outed and the consequences that would have had on her career. There was also the fear of going out dressed in public. She decided to spend the night up there and got a hotel room nearby. The night had been a blur, but she did remember how much at ease she’d felt once she was in the bar. She didn’t feel alone anymore.

That night seemed like a lifetime ago, and in many ways it was, thought Ally. Back then she’d been Detective Al Burns, now she was Special Agent Ally Burns. Things had turned out pretty well.

She knocked on the door and was greeted by Sherri. “Wow!” exclaimed Ally.

“How do I look?” asked Sherri.

Ally nodded as she stepped inside.

Sherri was dressed in a short red sequined cocktail dress. She was also wearing three-inch red heels. Her makeup was heavy, but appropriate, and her blonde wig was styled and correctly fitted on her head.

“Nice job, Sherri,” commented Ally.

“Are these earrings okay?” asked Sherri, referring to her large gold hoops.

“Yes, they look trashy enough for where we’re going,” replied Ally with a smile.

Sherri nodded and nervously looked in the mirror. “I still think I look like a guy in a dress.”

“That’s sort of what we’re looking for, so don’t worry about it.”

“Are you sure that I’ll look okay for the bar.”

Ally laughed. “Trust me, you won’t have any problems.”

Sherri nodded. “Oh, which bathroom do I use?”

“In there? Use the women’s room.”

“Sorry, that was a silly question.”

“No it wasn’t. In a drag bar, it’s usually okay to use the women’s room. In some clubs, you’re expected to use the men’s room. The other girls will usually let you know.”

“I can’t believe how nervous I feel. Is that silly or what?” asked Sherri.

Ally shook her head. “It’s not silly. Now, imagine how nervous you’d be if you were really a closeted crossdresser. What happens if you car breaks down? What happens if you get pulled over by the police?”

“I hadn’t thought about those sorts of things. It must be difficult. What would you have done if you had run into someone you knew from work when you were in the club?”

Ally smiled. “Depends on how they were dressed!”

Sherri laughed. “Seriously, that must also be a concern.”

“It is. A bigger concern was getting out of my apartment without any of my neighbors seeing me.”

Sherri nodded. “Good point. Okay, I guess we’d better go before you scare me out of leaving!”

Chapter 31

Ally drove and they found a parking spot three blocks from the club.

“Why didn’t you park closer? There was an open spot on the side street across from the club,” noted Sherri.

“It was on a dark side street, in case you didn’t notice -- not very safe. You need to think about things like that,” replied Ally.

“Oh. Is that a real concern?” asked Sherri, as they walked towards the club.

Ally nodded. “Look how we’re dressed and where we’re going. There are men out there who like to prey on the girls. They count on them being careless. Also they know that there’s little chance they’ll get into trouble.”

Sherri turned to Ally. “Why?”

“If you were jumped and you were a closeted crossdresser, would you report it to the police?”

“Oh, I see your point.”

“That’s why some of the clubs offer escorts to walk you to your car.”

“Are you worried?”

Ally smiled and shook her head. “I’m packing. I can only hope that some yahoo tries something stupid.”

Sherri ran her eyes over Ally. “Is it in your purse?”

Ally shook her head. “It’s a small automatic, and I keep it in my jacket pocket, kinda like Bogart in Casablanca.”

“Clever.”

“Just prepared.”

“I’m not armed, but I’m pretty proficient in martial arts.”

“Why aren’t you carrying a piece?”

“We’re not required to. We’re trained to get by without a gun, as most of the time we can’t carry one while on the job.”

“I guess that makes sense. Still, I feel better carrying one.”

As they walked towards the entrance Ally reached out and gave a gentle tug on Sherri’s sleeve.

“Slow down, you’re almost running,” she remarked.

“Sorry, but I guess I’m anxious to get inside,” replied Sherri.

“I know, but slow down; you don’t want to fall in those heels. By the way, I am impressed with how well you walk in heels.”

“I have been practicing!”

The club was pretty busy, but Ally was able to find two seats together at the bar.

Sherri scanned the place as they waited for the bartender to take their orders. She had to lean over and speak directly into Ally’s ear due to the loud music coming from the dance floor.

“It’s nothing like I thought it would look like.”

Ally smiled back.

Sherri continued. “It’s not that different from any other club around here. Hell, they even have a pool table!”

The bartender came up. He was a tall handsome black man with a shaved head. “Well, you two beauties are new here. What can I get you?”

Ally noticed Sherri’s embarrassment and couldn’t help but smile. “White wine, please.”

Sherri nervously nodded.

“Okay, two glasses of white wine. Be right back,” he stated. He then leaned over and winked at Sherri. “Relax, sweetie, you’re safe in here! This is your first time out isn’t it?”

Sherri nodded.

“Well, you look fabulous! You have nothing to worry about, sweetie.”

After the bartender left, Sherri leaned over to Ally. “I feel like such a fool.”

“It’s okay. You should have seen me the first time I went out in public. I was a nervous wreck.”

Sherri watched two stunningly beautiful women walk by. They were both Hispanic and had large breasts pushing out from their low cut tops.

“Are they men?” she asked Ally softly.

Ally shrugged her shoulders. “At one time. Most likely they’re working girls, judging by the size of their boobs. Those don’t come cheap.”

“There are prostitutes in here?” asked Sherri.

Ally nodded. “For some girls it’s the only job they can get. It’s safer working the clubs than walking the streets.”

“Does Vice know this?”

Ally nodded. “The cops don’t pay it too much mind, just as long as they aren’t too open about it.”

They finished their first glass of wine and ordered a refill. The bartender continued to flirt with Sherri.

He excused himself and left to talk to one of the waitresses. Sherri leaned over to Ally. “You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?”

Ally nodded. “Every second of it. You want to walk around and take in all the sights? Or would you rather flirt with the bartender?”

Sherri laughed. “Let’s walk around.”

They walked over to the dance floor area and saw a wide variety of people dancing together. Some of the women were obviously men, while others passed quite well.

A man walked over and motioned for Ally to join him. She set down her wine glass and followed him out on the floor. Sherri stood and watched as Ally danced with the man. He looked to be in his thirties and had a dark complexion.

After the dance, Ally rejoined Sherri. “He’s name is Roberto and he’s from Columbia,” stated Ally. “He works at the embassy.”

“You seemed to be enjoying yourself.”

“I don’t see why I can’t have a good time. Speaking of which, looks like someone is interested in you.”

A tall blonde man approached them and smiled. He leaned over towards Sherri and asked her to dance. Sherri nervously nodded and was led out to the dance floor. Ally noticed a table that had just opened up and she sat down at it. She kept her eye on Sherri, who seemed to loosening up as the dance progressed. In fact, she danced two more songs with the man before rejoining Ally.

“Well? Did you enjoy yourself?”

“I did. It was a refreshing experience!”

Ally laughed.

“There are a lot of nice people here,” noted Sherri. “It’s a shame that society doesn’t understand them.”

Ally nodded.

“I mean, what difference does it make,” continued Sherri.

“You’re preaching to the choir,” noted Ally with a grin.

They stayed for another hour before they agreed it was time to leave. The cool air felt good as they stepped outside and walked slowly towards the car.

“I can’t wait to get out these heels,” complained Sherri.

“I know what you mean,” replied Ally.

They were just about to the car when a white Ford pickup truck drove by. There were three young men inside. The truck drove by them slowly. The men inside stared at Ally and Sherri. The truck continued towards the club. Ally sensing trouble turned and watched as one of the guys leaned out the passenger side window. Two women were walking down the sideway. The guy screamed out “Fucking Sissies!”

Ally watched as one of the girls gave the guy the finger. The truck slammed on its brakes and backed up and stopped. The three guys all jumped out of the truck and approached the two girls in a menacing manner. They quickly surrounded the two women.

“Shit, looks like trouble,” Ally exclaimed as she headed back towards the club. She pulled out her cell phone and dialed 911. She told the dispatcher what was happening and then handed the phone to Sherri. “Keep them informed as to what’s happening. Don’t get too close, I don’t want you involved in this.”

Sherri started to speak, but was stopped by Ally.

“You’re training to go undercover, the last thing you need is to get involved in something like this,” explained Ally. “Don’t worry, I’ll be okay.”

The guys surrounded the two girls and began to push them around. At the same time, they began to scream insults at them. To their credit, neither girl backed down.

The two girls tried to walk away, but couldn’t get around the guys. The one who had flipped the bird was pushed to the ground. One of the guys kicked her in the stomach. Her friend went to her defense and was slapped across the face.

None of the guys noticed Ally approaching until she was just a few yards away.

“Enough!” screamed Ally.

“Hey, Tommy, check this out! Those two bitches we drove by are coming to the rescue. The one back there in red is a guy, but what about the one in black?”

Ally glanced over her shoulder and saw that Sherri was standing twenty feet behind her. She was talking to the 911 operator.

Tommy turned and looked at Ally. “She’s got to be a fuckin’ dyke, Dave.”

The three guys laughed.

“Get lost freaks,” screamed the third guy. “Unless you want to get roughed up too.”

“You tell her, Chuck,” laughed Dave.

“So babe, you want a real man?” asked Tommy as he grabbed his crotch.

Ally shook her head slowly as she held out her badge with her left hand. Her right hand was in her pocket, holding her pistol.

“I’m a Federal Agent. You three line up on the truck, put your hands on the frame and don’t move,” ordered Ally. “The police have already been notified and have been given your description. They also have the license plate of your truck. So running will only make it worse.”

“Fuck man, she’s a cop! We’ve been set up!” shouted Dave in a panicky tone. He began to move away. “Oh man, we’re fucked! I don’t want to back to jail. Fuck, man, we’re fucked. You told me we wouldn’t get in trouble. Come on Tommy; let’s get the fuck out of here.”

“Thanks for using my name, moron. Now shut the fuck up, you idiot. She’s bullshiting us. That’s not a real badge,” sneered Tommy. She started towards Ally in a threatening manner. “Where did you get that badge, bitch? It doesn’t look real to me.”

“Freeze, stupid.” Ally shook her head slowly and produced her gun. “The badge is real…. just like the gun.”

Tommy froze in his tracks staring at the gun.

It was then that they all heard the sounds of the sirens from the approaching police cars. Tommy looked up and glared in rage at Ally as it hit him that she was telling him the truth. Ally motioned with the gun towards the truck. The three punks begrudgingly lined up against the truck. Dave was trembling in fear and Ally wondered if he was about to start crying.

Ignoring Ally’s order to stay away, Sherri walked over and helped the two girls up.

The police arrived and arrested the three men. One of the officers took Ally’s story, he seemed very sympathetic. He even agreed to leave Sherri’s name off the report if she requested it.

“We’ve had problems with these sorts of idiots around here before. Glad you were able to get them,” stated the officer. He then leaned over and whispered with a grin on his face. “By the way, just between you and me, what were you doing down here?”

“Sorry, can’t talk about it,” replied Ally with a wink. She studied the young Hispanic policeman.

The cop smiled back. “Okay, I get it, secret undercover stuff. I’ll just let my imagination run wild. So do you think the two victims are willing to press charges? They don’t seem anxious to talk to me. We have your statement, but it’d be nice to have theirs too.”

She read his nametag on his uniform. “If you want, Officer Chacon, I’ll talk to them.”

“Sounds good. Looks like my partner has found something in their truck. I’ll be over there when you need me,” replied Officer Chacon.

Ally walked over to the two women. They were leaning up against a silver Acura.

The two women called themselves Nancy and Caroline. Neither seemed eager to file complaints at first. Nancy was shorter and was wearing a dark black wig styled in a pageboy. Her friend was taller and had red curly hair, which appeared to be her own hair.

“Hi, my name is Ally Burns. Off the record, judging by your reluctance to talk to the police, I take it you’re both in the closet,” she stated softly.

Nancy nodded. “I am. Caroline isn’t.”

Caroline was the one who had given the toughs the finger.

“Just so you know, I saw everything and am willing to sign the complaint,” stated Ally.

Caroline stared at Ally. “I saw you two inside. Your friend is obviously T, but I’m not sure about you.”

“I’m pre-op,” confessed Ally.

“And you’re a cop?”

“Something like that. I’m a Federal Agent.”

Caroline nodded and let out a long sigh. She looked as if she was about to start crying, but then a change came over her and her fear turned to rage. “Dammit, I’m so tired of this sort of crap. Yes, I want to press charges. I want those bastards to go to jail. Is it okay if Nancy doesn’t?”

Ally nodded. “Sure. You were the one assaulted. By the way, are you okay?”

Caroline nodded and grinned. “Thankfully, I’m wearing a corset!”

“Still, you sure you’re not hurt?”

Caroline nodded. “Thanks for asking.”

Ally smiled back. “I just want to make sure that you’re okay.”

“I didn’t know that there were any of us in law enforcement,” replied Caroline.

“Yes, there are some.”

“That’s good to know,” replied Caroline. She then wiped away a tear. “Crap. I just wanted to go out tonight and have some fun. I’ve been harassed before, and usually ignore them, but tonight I was just tired of putting up with it. I didn’t think they would actually attack us.”

“No one should be harassed,” stated Ally.

Caroline nodded. “Thanks.”

Ally reached into her purse and pulled out one of her business cards. “If you have any trouble, give me a call.”

Caroline read the card, smiled, and slipped it into her purse. “Thanks again.”

An hour later, Sherri and Ally arrived back at the Residence Inn.

“That was a little more exciting than I was expecting,” confessed Sherri.

“I agree,” concurred Ally.

They walked inside Sherri’s room and Sherri immediately kicked off her heels. “Ohhhh, that feels wonderful!”

Ally laughed.

Sherri plopped down on the couch. “So did I pass my final exam?”

“You were passing, until you disobeyed my orders to stay away. If the cops had been less sympathetic your cover could have been blown.”

“Sorry, but I couldn’t stay away when I saw those girls down on the ground.”

Ally nodded. “Well, as they say, no harm no foul.”

Sherri smiled back. “Thanks for everything.”

“When are you leaving?”

“Monday morning I fly out to LA.”

Ally stared back. “Good luck, or break a leg, or whatever you say.”

Sherri stood up. “Good luck is enough.”

Ally hugged Sherri. They held onto each other for almost a minute. “I want to hear everything when you’re done!”

Sherri smiled back. “Deal.”

“I’ll let myself out.”

“Here’s looking at you, kid,” stated Sherri.

Ally laughed. “That’s the worst Bogart imitation I’ve ever heard.”

A short time later, Ally was in her car heading home. She called Robert and told him what had happened. He actually seemed more amused than upset.

“You just seem to stay out of trouble,” he laughed.

“I told you that you should have come along,” replied Ally.

“Send me a full report Monday morning.”

“I will, have a great weekend,” replied Ally.

Bogie met Ally at the door and she scooped her up. She walked to the kitchen and found Carol reading a book, drinking a cup of tea.

“Welcome home,” greeted Carol.

Ally leaned down and kissed Carol. She then began to tell her about her evening as she made herself a mug of chai. Again, she didn’t go into detail regarding Tyler. Bogie wiggled out of her hands and scampered off.

“Sounds like a fun evening. So, you only took on three rednecks?” asked Carol.

“They weren’t much of a threat. If they were really tough, they wouldn’t have been attacking t-girls. They gave up pretty easily. The police seemed pleased, as they found drugs in the truck. Also two of them had outstanding warrants. One was just out on parole. Not exactly MENSA material.”

“Sounds like they’ll be off the street for a while,” added Carol.

“True, probably for their own good.”

Carol took a sip of her tea. “You really enjoyed it didn’t you?”

Ally shrugged her shoulders. “I guess it was a little bit enjoyable putting those bigoted jerks into their place.”

Carol shook her head. “It has nothing to do with them; it was the rush of making an actual arrest. Admit it; you got a thrill out of it. It’s okay, because I know exactly know you feel.”

“Okay, you got me. I miss the rush of making an arrest and the intoxicating rush when confronting a threat.”

Carol leaned over and kissed Ally. “It’s all right to admit this. Not all agents feel this way, but if you didn’t I doubt you could have stayed an agent after your attack.”

Ally picked up her mug and stared into it. “I know. Even as I was lying there bleeding to death, I felt a strange sense of satisfaction, as I nailed the bad guy.”

“I think it’s what separates the field agents from the desk jockeys, no offense,” remarked Carol. “Now I don’t think of you as a desk jockey, as you do everything possible to get into the field. You even have the cooperation of another adrenaline junkie in Steve.”

“I appreciate that you accept me with all my flaws,” replied Ally holding back a yawn.

Carol stood up and took Ally by the hand.

“Still it was mighty brave of you to take on those three. I think this act of gallantry deserves a reward,” stated Carol.

“It wasn’t that big a deal.”

Carol leaned over and whispered into Ally’s ear.

“Well, in that case, yes, I was ‘extremely’ brave and will willingly accept my reward,” replied Ally with a grin.

Carol then led Ally upstairs.

Chapter 32

Saturday evening Carol and Ally arrived at the Williams’ home. Carol had made a salad to complement the barbecued chicken and shrimp.

It was warm enough that they could sit out on the deck while Steve cooked the meat.

“How’s the house hunting?” asked Ally as she sipped her wine.

“The problem is finding one we like and can also afford. Location is also an issue; we’ve been mainly searching west of the city, so that the commute won’t be awful,” explained Steve.

“We found a lovely one, but the asking price was way out of our range,” added Maggie. She was holding Steven, their baby.

“The solution is simple. Why don’t you use Spec-Ops to pay them a visit and persuade them to lower their price?” asked Ally.

“I already suggested that to Maggie; she feels it would constitute a violation of Agency ethics -- you know, misuse of agency property,” replied Steve. “Still, I like the way you think Ally.”

They all started laughing. The frivolity was interrupted by the arrival of Beth.

“What’s so funny? I could hear you laughing from the moment I walked inside,” she asked.

“Ally agrees with your father that we should terrorize the owners of the house we like into lowering the price,” explained Maggie, as she wiped the tears of laughter from her eyes.

Beth turned to Steve. “You were joking about that?”

There was more laughter.

Beth grabbed a soda and sat down next to Carol and Ally.

“When’s the prom?” asked Carol.

“In a few weeks,” replied Beth. “I’m picking up my dress tomorrow.”

“Where’s Kevin? I thought he was joining us tonight,” asked Maggie.

“His older brother just returned from Iraq yesterday,” replied Beth.

“Is he okay?” asked Carol.

Beth nodded. “Kevin said that he’s had a few close calls but thankfully came out of it unscathed.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“Well, it looks like the food’s ready,” announced Steve, as he checked the grill.

Chapter 33

After dinner, Ally turned to Carol. “Should we tell them now?”

Carol nodded.

“Tell us what?” asked Maggie.

“We’ve decided to get married, officially and legally, before Ally’s operation,” replied Carol.

“That’s wonderful news!” replied Maggie, who got up and hugged both of them.

“I agree,” concurred Steve.

Beth didn’t say a thing; instead she was too busy hugging Carol and Ally.

“When will you have the ceremony?” asked Maggie.

“Sometime in August, we haven’t set the exact date yet. We’re thinking of a small civil service. You’re the first people we’ve told,” replied Ally. “June is busy with Beth’s graduation from school, and the following weekend we have the dedication for Celeste’s center in Connecticut.”

“We’re honored that you’ve told us first,” replied Steve. “I think this calls for a celebration.” He got up and walked inside. A short time later he returned with a chilled bottle of champagne and a tray with glasses.

“May I have some, please?” begged Beth.

Steve looked over at Maggie, who shrugged her shoulders. “Why not, this is a special occasion. But just one glass!”

Steve poured the champagne and everyone took a glass.

“To Carol and Ally!” toasted Steve.

The glasses were touched together.

Beth sipped her champagne. “Oh, this is good.”

“Just remember you’re still just eighteen,” reminded Maggie.

“Again. It’s so much more difficult growing up a second time,” replied Beth. “I mean there are so many things that I used to be able to do, and now I must wait to do them again. Well, at least I have my car now.”

“How do you like your Jetta?”

“It’s got a lot of pep,” replied Beth. “It’s not like my old car, but I like it.”

“What did you drive as Ben?”

“My last car was a real sweet BMW. As soon as I can afford one, I buying another,” replied Beth.

“I thought you had a sizable trust fund set up because of your transformation?” asked Carol.

“I do, but I don’t get control of it until I’m twenty-one. It’s also set up so that even after I get it, I can only get a part every year.”

Maggie nodded. “That was my idea. All the survivors from Dr. Martz’s actions have similar plans. It’ll pay for your education, and allow you to buy a home.”

Beth nodded. “I’m not complaining. It’s pretty cool that I don’t have to sweat tuition to Penn.”

“I’ll drink to that!” piped in Steve holding up his glass.

“Are you still going to Denmark with Andrea?” asked Ally.

“Yes, right after I graduate. It should be a great trip,” replied Beth. “I can’t wait!

“Apparently, the Danish government plans on giving Andrea an award for what she did during the war,” continued Beth.

“Actually, the award is coming from Queen herself,” added Maggie.

“Are you going to the ceremony?” asked Ally.

Beth nodded vigorously. “Actually, it will be a private dinner. Andrea requested that she not have a big ceremony.”

“Wow! I’m impressed,” stated Carol.

“I’d just like to hear some more of her stories,” added Ally.

“She’s going to meet the surviving members of the resistance group she worked with,” stated Beth.

“How many are there? They have to getting up there in years,” asked Ally.

“Surprisingly, there are still six alive,” replied Beth.

“I wish I could meet them,” stated Steve. “Strictly from a professional standpoint, I mean.”

“Bull!” exclaimed Ally. “You just want to hear their stories like the rest of us for your own entertainment!”

“Guilty as charged!”

There was some more laughter.

“While we still have some champagne left, we have one more announcement to make,” stated Maggie. “We’d like you two to become the legal guardians of Stevie, should something happen to us.”

Ally and Carol stared back in stunned silence.

“We’ve talked about this, and we couldn’t think of anyone else we’d rather have,” added Steve.

“Thank you, it’s a huge honor,” replied Carol.

Ally nodded as she wiped a tear away.

“Hey what about me?” asked Beth with a grin.

“No, way, if you throw her in, the deal’s off!” joked Ally.

“Actually we have discussed that, being that Beth won’t be twenty-one for three more years,” interrupted Maggie.

“We’re not planning on going anywhere, but in our line of work….”

“We understand,” interjected Carol.

“Absolutely,” added Ally.

Chapter 34

On the way home, Carol turned to Ally. “Do you ever think about it?”

Ally nodded. “I don’t dwell on it, but it’s hard to deny that we’re in a dangerous line of work.”

Carol nodded. “I know.”

Ally thought about Tyler and felt a chill up her spine.

“It does please me that they think so highly of us,” continued Carol.

“I know. So, any update on when you’re going out of town?”

Carol shook her head. “I suspect that it’ll be in late June.”

Ally nodded.

After a long silence, Carol glanced over at Ally. “What’s on your mind?”

“That special project I was assigned to; you know, the one that I’m not allowed to tell you the details.”

“Oh. Is everything okay?”

Ally nodded. “My part is over. He’d heading out on the mission.”

Carol nodded. “Did you do everything you could to prepare him?”

Ally thought about it. “Yes.”

“Then there’s no sense in worrying. I’ve known a few of the deep cover agents, and they’re good. They have the right to refuse a mission if they feel it’s too dangerous. This isn’t the agent’s first mission is it?”

“No, he’s very experienced.”

“Then it’s his call. I know you’re worried, but face it, you might never know how his mission turns out.”

Ally sighed. “You’re right... as always.”

“Now, we’ll be home in a minute; look cheerful, we don’t want to upset the little one,” continued Carol.

Ally laughed. “Thanks for cheering me up.”

Chapter 35

Monday morning, Ally briefed Robert in detail over what had happened outside the club. She was wearing a new grey suit with her new knee-high Italian leather black boots.

“Well, I don’t see anything that you could have done to avoid it. Now, when does William Shaw arrive?”

“His flight gets in at ten. I don’t expect to see him until after one,” replied Ally.

“How long will you keep him here?”

“A week. It’s not like his office will miss him,” replied Ally.

Robert smiled and nodded.

“Oh, we may even have a stakeout to take him to. Donna told me this morning that they feel that they may make an arrest this week,” replied Ally.

“Good.”

“Also, Joe’s back from Bethesda.”

“Keep me informed on his status,” replied Robert.

“I will. I suspect that he’ll want to throw himself into his work.”

Robert nodded. “Keep an eye on him. I know he’s a good agent, but even the toughest person can break.”

Ally nodded. She then took a nervous sip from her Diet Coke. “Um, there’s one more thing. I know that it’s not normal procedure or anything like that, but if it’s possible…”

“Yes, I’ll let you know how your student does,” interrupted Robert.

Ally smiled back. “Thanks.”

Chapter 36

“Alyce just spent an hour with Barry. He wants to meet her really badly,” stated Donna, as Ally returned to the department.

“Have you picked out a spot?” asked Ally.

“Actually Barry suggested one, Union Station,” replied Donna, referring to the train station. The main terminal was now a popular shopping mall in the District of Columbia.

Ally got a worried look on her face. “A little too crowded for my taste. It’ll also require a bigger team to cover the area.” Her mind began to whirl as she calculated the number of exits they’d have to cover.

“I agree. Alyce is going to suggest along the Tidal Basin. Steve suggested it as it’s more open and private. It’ll also limit his escape routes.”

“Try it and see if he goes for it,” replied Ally. “Oh, if it does go down this week, I’m going to bring William Shaw to observe.”

“Cool, I love to show off my team,” replied Donna. “By the way, you look great today. I love the new outfit!”

“Thanks, I wanted to look good,” replied Ally with a grin. “Now back to the stakeout, are you using the local PD for backup?”

“No, not if it’s the Tidal Basin. We have jurisdiction, we’ve traced his calls to Maryland, so we don’t need the locals to make the arrest; besides, it gets too complicated dealing with both DC and the park service. I doubt if they’ll object anyway, since the case originated with us.”

Ally nodded. “Let’s just make sure that it’s nice and quick; we don’t want to upset the tourists.”

“We could just tell them that we’ve filming a TV show.”

“True, and we could sell T-shirts and hats after the arrest.”

Donna laughed. “I hadn’t thought of that.”

“How’s Joe doing?” asked Ally.

“He seems okay,” replied Donna. “I’m trying not to treat him any differently, but that’s hard.”

Ally nodded. “I’ll be in my office late today; let him know, if he wants to stop by and talk.”

Donna nodded. ‘Well, I’d better get back to work; can’t look like I’m your favorite when William Shaw arrives.”

“Who said that you’re my favorite?” asked Ally.

Chapter 37

A little after two, William Shaw arrived outside Ally’s office. He was dressed in a navy suit, white shirt and maroon tie. He knocked on the doorframe and Ally waved him in.

“Did you have a good flight?” she asked.

“Yes, thank you,” he replied as he sat down across from her.

Ally noticed that he still had a slight limp.

“Good. Well, I won’t keep you long today, but I’d like you to come in at eight the rest of the week,” answered Ally.

William soaked in Ally’s office. Unlike his, there was no “I love me” wall behind her desk. Instead there was just a strange little plaque with two gold-plated ball bearings on it. He couldn’t quite read the inscription on it. He also noticed a dark blue ball cap with SPEC-OPS in gold letters sitting on top of her filing cabinet. Those weren’t available to just anyone, and he wondered if Ally had connections in the Agency’s elite strike force.

“Why don’t I introduce you to Donna, your DC counterpart,” continued Ally.

“That’s sounds good,” replied William.

“Have you met Donna?” asked Ally as she got up.

He shook his head. “I talked to her once on the phone.”

“That’ll change. I want the four of you to talk regularly; we’re all in this together.”

William nodded.

Ally led him to the Op-Center. He was surprised by the flurry of activity. There were agents sitting at computers engaged in online conversations, while others were apparently researching data.

“How many agents does Donna have?” asked William.

“The same number as you,” replied Ally, as she waved to Donna.

“I only count eight,” he replied.

“That’s because the others are out on assignment. We’ve got an agent up in Providence, one in Pittsburgh, one in Newport News, and another in Trenton,” stated Donna. “Pleased to meet you, William, I’m Donna.”

William shook her hand. “Is that normal?”

Donna shrugged her shoulders. “What’s normal? Our motto is Semper Gumby here.”

William cocked his head in confusion.

“Always Flexible,” explained Joe, looking up from his computer. He then winked at Ally.

“Oh,” replied William. “That’s a good one.”

“William, I’ll leave you with Donna for now. See me before you take off,” interrupted Ally. “I’ll be in my office.” She then glanced at Joe.

“Okay,” replied William.

Ally retreated, leaving William with Donna. She returned to her office and reached for a Diet Coke. She turned around to see Joe standing outside her office.

“Excuse me, Ally, but do you have time to talk?” he asked.

Ally nodded and waved him in.

He closed the door behind him and sat down. “First, I’d like to apologize for the way I behaved the last time I was in here.”

“There’s no need, Joe.”

He nodded and let out a long sigh.

“So, how’re you doing?” asked Ally.

He waved his hand back and forth. “Good days and bad days. I’ve been told that’s common, sort of like mourning.”

Ally nodded.

“I’m not going to linger in the past and beat myself up. My doctors tell me that my mental state is important in fighting this, so I’m going to concentrate on the future,” stated Joe.

“That’s good to hear,” replied Ally. “Now, I’ve talked to Jenna, and she has informed me that it’s Agency policy to give you two weeks off, so that you can adjust and recover.”

Joe shook his head. “I’d rather work, thanks.”

“You sure? You don’t have to make up your mind right now.”

“I’m sure. Ally, I need to get back to work, it keeps my mind clear. If I took some time off, it would give me too much time to think. And, I’m not exactly in the mood for doing something exciting or fun at the moment. Does this make sense?”

Ally nodded. “I’d probably do the same thing.”

Ally knew that Joe had more on his mind and she waited patiently for him to bring it up.

“I suppose that I owe you an explanation about my … crossdressing,” continued Joe.

“You don’t have to explain a thing,” replied Ally. “However, if you want someone to talk to about it, I’m here.”

Joe sighed again. “I know it’s silly, considering your situation and all. I mean you haven’t flaunted the fact that you’re transgendered, but you haven’t hidden it either. I guess I should have told you sooner.”

“My only concern is that it could be something that could be used against you.”

Joe nodded. “I’ve worried about that. I don’t suppose that my co-workers would care.”

“If I may ask, what do you consider yourself?”

Joe sat in silence for a while. “I’m still a little confused about my feelings. When I dress, it relaxes me, I feel strangely calm. Does that make sense?”
“Yes.”

“I’ve talked to Jenna about it, and she’s given me the name of another therapist who deals in gender issues.”

Ally nodded.

“I was so worried when I was the bait last year that I would seem too relaxed and that the others would suspect that I was different,” continued Joe.

“I can relate to that,” replied Ally with a grin.

“I suppose you can.”

Ally then told him about the time she dressed back in California for a stakeout.

“Do you think that I’m transsexual?” asked Joe.

Ally shrugged her shoulders. “That’s not my call. What I think doesn’t matter. You need to find out for yourself.”

A small smile grew across Joe’s face. “That’s what Jenna said.”

“I just want you to know that I’ll support you. You’re a good agent and an asset to the department.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t show up in a skirt tomorrow,” replied Joe.

Ally laughed. “Seriously, if you are TS and you want to transition, I’ll support you, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Being positive complicates the issue, but it doesn’t prevent you from doing it. For now, I want you to follow your doctor’s instructions and keep your health up.”

“I will. Adjusting to being HIV positive is my main concern. I’m going to beat this, and I want to stay as healthy as possible until the cure arrives. I’m on a combination of meds right now. They call it a cocktail. Some cocktail, it’s just a regiment of drugs that I have to take several times a day. The thing is, Ally, I don’t feel sick or anything and the drugs themselves have some interesting side effects. Still, I’m being really careful not to miss a dosage.”

“I’ve been reading about them,” replied Ally.

“Thankfully, they’re down to only a few pills a day. I go back in a few months and they’ll check my counts. They’ll adjust my meds as necessary.”

“Let Donna know when you need time off to go up there,” explained Ally.

“I will, thanks.”

“Anything else?” asked Ally.

Joe shook his head. “Just talking to you has eased my mind greatly.”

Ally smiled back. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“Can I hug you?”

Joe’s eyes began to water up, he tried to speak, but his voice choked up and all he could do was nod.

Ally stood up and walked over and gave him a long, comforting hug. She then whispered in his ear. “You’re not alone.”

Chapter 38

A little after five, William walked into Ally’s office. He was still wearing his suit and looked as fresh as he had when he arrived.

“Donna’s pretty impressive,” he stated.

Ally nodded. She debated saying something along the lines of how hard that must have been to say, but didn’t. She would try to stay diplomatic.

William sat down. “I don’t dispute that you have an effective operation here, but the police could be just as successful.”

“I disagree. They have their jurisdictions; we can operate anywhere across the country. We can, and have, worked with foreign governments. We also have trained the police to be more effective.”

“Still, it’s an awful amount of money and effort to catch a few perverts.”

“Tell that to the victims, and the parents of teens killed by these monsters. Yes, we nail the individual sex offender, but we’ve also broken up whole operations that have enslaved and sold teens as sex slaves.”

“All through the Internet?”

“Most of the time, yes. We’ve also gained leads here that have aided other operations. We don’t operate in a vacuum, we work with other departments all the time,” continued Ally. Her anger was close to bubbling out.

William nodded. “Okay, but what about some of the so-called victims, aren’t they asking for it?”

Ally bit her lower lip for a second before speaking. “I assume you mean LGBT teens?”

“Among others. Face it, Ally, some of the teens you’re trying to rescue are putting themselves in danger.”

“How is that? By going into a chatroom and talking to someone who appears to care about their problems? Many of the teens, including straight ones, are seeking someone, ANYONE, who will be kind to them. That’s what makes these predators so sick, they know that the teens are seeking a friend, and they portray one, just so they can abuse them.”

William stared back in silence, as Ally’s words soaked in.

“Even if they’re seeking more than a friend, they’re still minors. Unless the law changes soon, we protect all teens.”

William nodded slightly.

“Tomorrow, I want you to review some of our case files. After you read them, we’ll continue this conversation,” replied Ally, barely holding back her anger.

“Okay. I’ll see you in the morning,” he stated as he stood up.

After he left, Ally sat there fuming. She knew that she couldn’t drive home until she found a way of burning off her anger, so she headed down to the Agency’s indoor firing range.

Ally signed in and walked over to the station assigned her by the range master. After setting up her target, she loaded her nine millimeter semi-automatic and began to shoot. While she played down her shooting ability, Ally took great pride in her marksmanship. She had never scored less than expert in her monthly qualifications.

After emptying a clip into the target, she pressed the switch that retrieved her target. Fourteen of fifteen shots were in the black, she knew she could do better and attached a fresh target.

Ten minutes later she was pleased to see that all shots were in the black. She held up the target and counted the fifteen holes in the center of the target.

“Nice shootin’ Tex!” stated Steve from behind her.

Ally turned around and smiled.

“Seriously, for a desk jockey, you’re pretty good,” he quipped.

“Desk jockey? Look, I came down here to burn off my anger, don’t get me started again!” replied Ally with a grin.

“Let me guess, Shaw?” asked Steve.

Ally nodded. “He just doesn’t get it.”

“Give him time.”

Ally shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know why I’m upset. I mean, I’d love for him to quit. It would be best for everyone.”

Steve stared back. “Sorry, I don’t believe you.”

Ally smirked. “Okay, I want to convince him that we’re fighting real crime and we’re not just some pet project.”

“That’s better.”

“I may send him down to talk with you, if you have the time.”

Steve nodded. “Sure, that would be fine. I’ve seen the monsters that you’ve caught. If your department didn’t exist, then it would need to be created.”

“Thank you,” replied Ally.

“Hey, it’s the truth,” stated Steve as he turned to walk away.

Ally walked up and kissed him on the cheek.

Steve grinned and walked away.

Chapter 39

Ally played with Bogie while Carol grilled some trout.

“Where did you get fresh trout?” asked Ally as she dangled a string with a feather in front of Bogie. “They smell divine.”

“One of my agents went fishing this weekend up in Pennsylvania. He loves fly fishing, but doesn’t like to eat them,” replied Carol.

“Too bad for him. Now, we need some friends who catch lobster for the sport of it!”

Carol laughed. “That would be nice. Well, they’re just about ready, is the table set?”

Ally nodded and put the feather away, much to the disappointment of Bogie.

Over dinner they traded work stories.

“I’m impressed that you almost controlled your temper,” stated Carol.

“I don’t consider it as temper, so much as passion for my job,” replied Ally. “He still thinks that we only get the little fish.”

Carol nodded. “Oh, it looks more and more like I’ll be going out to the West Coast in the end of June.”

“How long?”

“Two, maybe three weeks,” replied Carol.

Ally nodded. “At least you’ll be here for Beth’s graduation and the dedication.”

“I know. I wouldn’t want to miss either of them,” replied Carol. “After dinner, you feel like going for a walk?”

Ally nodded. “It’s nice coming home and still having daylight.”

Chapter 40

Ally arrived early and retrieved the reports that she wanted William to read. Margo Simon was one person she wanted him to read about, along with several other cases.

William walked into her office at eight sharp. As the day before, he was dressed immaculately.

Ally waved him in. “Good morning, how’re you doing this morning?”

“Fine, thank you. I had dinner with an old friend last night,” replied William.

“I have those reports for you to read. I’ve arranged for an office for you to use while you’re here. It’s just down the hall,” stated Ally. “Unfortunately it wasn’t ready until this morning. They just got the phone and computer up and running.”

William smiled slightly. “That was thoughtful, thank you.”

Ally nodded. “You’re welcome. Come on, I’ll take you there.” She stood up and grabbed her Diet Coke on the way out.

The office was down the hall from Donna’s department and had been recently vacated due to an Agency reorganization. The new occupant wouldn’t need it until the following month.

“It’s not much, but it’ll give you a place to keep in contact with St. Louis while you’re here,” explained Ally as they walked into the office.

“Thanks. I left Agent Mallory in charge. We’re almost back up to full strength.”

Ally nodded. She wasn’t about to compliment him for following her orders.

“When you’re done reading these, come back and find me,” stated Ally as she left.

Two hours later, William was again standing outside Ally’s office. He knocked and entered.

“Well? What do you think?” asked Ally, looking up from her desk.

“Impressive. So where is Margo today?” replied William, as he sat down across from her.

“Federal Prison. She’s tried a few times to get out. I don’t think we’ve heard the last of her. We know that some of her compadres are still out there; the question is if they still want to help her,” replied Ally. “She’s still dangerous in my opinion.”

“What amazed me was the list of names of her customers,” continued William. “How did you keep all of this out of the news? I remember seeing news of some of them going to jail, but there was no mention of this.”

“We wanted to protect the victims. Thankfully they had other vices and that’s what we prosecuted them on. They didn’t argue as no one wants to be on trial for owning a sex slave. They often provided us additional evidence on others. Also, if the truth came out, the poor teens would be victimized a second time. Just imagine what FOX would do with a story like this!”

William laughed.

Ally was slightly stunned as it the first time she had seen him laugh.

“There’s another reason we didn’t prosecute them on the sex slave charges,” continued Ally. “We know that there are more of them out there, and we don’t want them to know that they’re also being hunted.”

William nodded.

“We’re constantly changing and adapting in order to catch the predators. We may get a lot of little fish, but every now and then we get one that leads to something bigger,” added Ally. “David in Seattle just broke up a sex vacation scheme. It all started with the arrest of one man that they hooked online. After he was arrested, he offered information to save his ass.”

“I’m starting to see that your department does more than I originally thought, but I don’t think I’m the right person for the job,” replied William. “I’m not ready to sit behind a desk.”

“Neither am I,” replied Ally with a smile.

William nodded. “I didn’t mean it that way.”

“I know. I get in on a few stakeouts when I can. Hopefully, Donna’s case will come to a head this week.”

“It’s not just that, Ally.”

“Go on,” replied Ally. She leaned back and pulled out another Diet Coke from her fridge.

“I’m not really good with kids. I’m also not comfortable with dealing with homosexuals and their kind, no offense. I have my values, and while I understand and accept the rules today, I just don’t think I can have the passion needed for the job.”

“They’re citizens too,” replied Ally.

“I know. But I have my beliefs, and they sometimes cause conflicts. I wouldn’t let it affect my job, but I don’t think I want to hold a position that causes me to deal with people whose lifestyle I disapprove of on a day-to-day basis.”

“How do you feel about working for me?”

“Honestly?”

Ally nodded.

“Off the record?”

Ally nodded again.

“I’m still not sure. I don’t really understand what you’re dealing with, and that makes me feel a little uneasy. I mean, I barely understand why someone wants to be gay. I kind of took the idea of someone’s gender being a given, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, you have an impressive record. I had no idea you were the one who nailed the MNF killer. I’m also awed that you’re the actual Protector; yes, I’ve heard about you. From what I’ve seen, you’re an excellent agent and leader.”

After a long silent pause Ally relied. “You know, it’s not a choice.”

“That’s what I’ve heard some people say. To be honest, I haven’t really researched it.”

“Maybe you should,” stated Ally. “I can loan you some books.”

William nodded.

Ally sat back in her chair and took a long sip of her Diet Coke. She then sat back up. “I’d like to arrange a meeting for you. I have a friend who runs an organization that helps the victims. She mainly focuses on transgendered teens, some of whom were transformed against their will. I can also arrange for you to meet with some gay and lesbian teens.”

“Okay,” replied William, realizing that this wasn’t really a request.

“Good. Oh, William, I appreciate your honesty.”

“You’re not offended?” asked William.

Ally shook her head. “I’ve been pretty fortunate in that I’ve been accepted for my abilities. I’ve had some problems, but overall, it hasn’t been too bad. I’ve learned to tell when someone is lying to me. I figure that if someone is honest with me, then I have a chance to win them over.”

Just then there was a knock on the door.

“Come in,” replied Ally.

It was Donna. “We’re in. He wants to meet her tomorrow morning.”

“Where?” asked Ally.

“We had to compromise and agree to Union Station,” replied Donna. “I’ve talked to Steve and he’s working out a plan. He says that he’ll be ready to brief us this afternoon at two.”

“Okay,” replied Ally. “Looks like we’re going to provide you with a stakeout after all, William.”

Chapter 41

Ally and William walked into the briefing room together. Donna and Alyce were already there. Steve nodded as they walked in. Ally looked around and was pleased to see many familiar faces. Madison, Tom, and Jo were sitting on the opposite side of the table. They were three of Steve’s best agents. Additionally, there were several other agents in the room, including Miguel who Ally had worked with several times.

“Hey, Ally, how’re you doin’?” asked Madison.

“Fine, Madison,” replied Ally with a smile. “This is William Shaw; he’s the head of my Midwest office.” Ally then introduced William to all the agents.

Steve briefed them on his plan. Alyce would be wired with both a microphone and a tracking device. Due to the location, surveillance would have to be done locally. The agents would form a perimeter around Alyce and move in as soon as the predator made his move.

“I’ve talked to the security chief at the mall, and he’s willing to assist. We’ll use his office as our HQ. Tom and Miguel have already checked out the equipment and everything appears to work fine.”

“We’ll be able to videotape him from their security system,” replied Tom. “Miguel is running the equipment and will record everything.”

“Now, due to the location of the stakeout, we’ll all need to be in regular clothes. I’ll talk to each of you separately as how I’d like you to dress,” continued Steve. “Basically, we’ll all be hanging out in the mall.”

“Oh, oh, can I be a tourist?” begged Madison.

After the laughter stopped, Steve shook his head. “I was thinking more of a thug look.”

“Oh, so he won’t have to check out a costume then?” piped in Tom.

Madison flipped his best friend the bird.

“Well, Tom, you’ll need a costume, you’re going to be the custodian in the food court,” replied Steve.

“Talk about typecasting,” remarked Jo.

There was more laughter.

“I’ll make sure I spill a drink on the floor for you,” added Madison.

“Thanks,” replied Tom.

Ally got to play the tourist. She would dress in jeans and t-shirt and have a camera around her neck. William got into the spirit and agreed to play a businessman. Ally smiled to herself; at least he wouldn’t need a costume. Steve would direct them into position. Through their earphones, they would know when to move it. Additionally, a backup team would be standing by outside the mall.

“How long do you think it will take until we need to move in?” asked William.

“Usually these go down pretty fast. The predator usually wants to get the teen out of the public eye as quickly as possible. We usually make an arrest ten to twenty minutes after they meet,” replied Ally.

“Good. So, it’s unlikely that our presence will cause any undue suspicions in the perp,” stated William. He then made some suggestions for the location of the various agents.

Steve nodded in agreement.

After the brief, William talked to Ally. “So you always turn the stakeout over to Spec-Ops?”

Ally nodded. “Or the local PD. They’re the experts, and I’m not arrogant enough to think I know more than they do. I do reserve the right to refuse a plan, if I feel it puts my agents in danger.”

“Our strike team in St. Louis isn’t very big, but I think that they’d be willing to assist us.”

Ally nodded. “I noticed that you said us.”

William smiled. “Don’t read too much into my words, I’m still not sold on all this.”

“Okay. Well, see you tomorrow bright and early. The pre-stakeout brief is at seven, we’ll be at Union Station at ten,” stated Ally.

A few minutes later, Donna came into Ally’s office.

“Alyce is being briefed by Steve right now, she’s still a little nervous, but I’m not worried,” stated Donna.

“So you’ll be up with Steve in the security office?” asked Ally.

“Yes. How come you get to have fun and I have to watch?” asked Donna.

“This is your bust, and you need to be able to see everything that happens,” answered Ally.

“Still, couldn’t we trade places?” asked Donna.

“Nope, this is my first stakeout in a while. Besides, I get to play a tourist! Which reminds me, I need to get a t-shirt for my disguise.”

“Why not wear an Agency T-shirt?” asked Donna with a wink.

“Now there’s an idea!” replied Ally with a smile. “Seriously, you’re needed with Steve. We’ll have the area covered. If they meet in the food court area as planned, then we’ll be able to surround them. With any luck, we’ll have agents sitting right next to them.”

“William seemed genuinely interested in the stakeout,” stated Donna.

“I know.”

“He’s not as bad as I thought he’d be,” added Donna. “He seemed very interested in what my agents were doing.”

“I know. He also brought up some good points during the briefing.”

“Do you think he’ll stay?” asked Donna.

“I don’t know.”

Donna glanced at her watch. “Well, I need to run. Ed’s taking me out to dinner tonight. Don’t worry, we’ll make it an early evening.”

Ally smiled back. “I need to go myself.”

A short time later, Ally was inside Union Station. The trip was twofold. First, this was a good place to get the shirt; second, it would allow her to scope out the place. She was amused to see Jo, Tom, and Madison doing the same thing.

“Fancy meeting you here,” greeted Ally.

“We’re just hanging out, relaxing after a hard day at the office,” replied Tom.

Ally nodded. “I hope this all goes easy.”

“It will. Oh, any preferences on the beer?” asked Tom.

Ally laughed. It was a tradition, following a stakeout to pop a few cold ones. Steve insisted on it, as it was a good way for the agents to come down after the stress of the stakeout. “No, just as long as it’s cold.”

“That’s never a problem,” replied Jo.

“Well, we need to get going; we’ll see you tomorrow,” stated Tom.

“Ally, can I talk to you for a minute?” asked Jo.

Ally nodded.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” stated Jo.

Jo and Ally walked outside into the warm spring evening.

“This is the best time to be in DC,” remarked Jo.

Ally nodded. “I agree. I don’t know which I hate more, the winter’s cold or the humidity in summer.”

“That’s easy, the winter!”

They walked for a few minutes until Jo spoke.

“I’m seeing Jenna and another therapist.”

Ally nodded back.

“I talked to Steve and he seems understanding.”

“So what’s next?”

“I’m easing into this slowly. It’s not my nature to jump into things like this,” continued Jo.

“So does that mean that you’re going to transition?”

Jo nodded softly.

“Congrats,” replied Ally as she hugged Jo.

“Thanks, although I’m not sure if it deserves a hug.”

“Transition won’t make everything in your life perfect, but it will remove a layer of stress,” replied Ally.

“I don’t plan on doing it until fall. I’ll start hormones then and go for the change in name.”

“Have you picked one out?”

Jo nodded. “Warren.”

“Nice name. Is there any reason for it?”

“I’ve always liked it, and I’m huge fan of Warren Zevon.”

Ally smiled back. “I like his music myself, too bad about his death.”

“Yes, so in some ways it’ll be a tribute.”

“Are you staying in Spec-Ops?”

“I’d like to, but I don’t want to cause a problem.”

Ally nodded. “If you decide to transfer, see me first, I’d love to have you in my department.”

Jo cocked her head. “You mean that?”

“Sure. I’ve seen you work, you’re an excellent agent. However, I doubt if Steve will give you up. He thinks you’re pretty special too.”

“Steve’s cool. I’m just worried about the rest of the team.”

“Give them a chance before you give up on them.”

Jo nodded. “I will. Thanks for the advice.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Well, I need to get going. I’m parked back at Union Station, what about you?”

“I’m back there too.”

“So what’s your role tomorrow?” asked Ally.

“I’ll just be a local college student. I’ll be caring a backpack and will be pretending to be to write a paper on my laptop. My bag will have a hidden camera in it, so I’ll be able to record them up close and personal.”

“What the paper on?” asked Ally with a wink.

Jo smiled. “Actually, I’m taking a night course, and I have a paper due on James Joyce, so I’m killing two birds with one stone.”

Ally laughed.

“That reminds me, I need to check on the availability of a book. I’ll see you later,” stated Jo.

Ally waved as Jo walked away.

Chapter 42

The briefing room was filled with agents drinking coffee and eating doughnuts. At seven Steve started the briefing. The plan was for Alyce to take a table in the food court area and wait for Barry to show up. He had convinced Alyce to skip school and meet him at Union Station. Barry claimed to be only sixteen, and had been told by Alyce several times that she was only fifteen.

For her part, Alyce had done a great job in her outfit. She claimed that this was due to the fact that she had two cousins that were fourteen, and they had helped her pick out her outfit. She was dressed in a short skirt and a pink top. Her makeup was also overdone. Ally had to admit that she looked like a teenager.

Ally was wearing a T-shirt with the White House emblazed across the front. Additionally, she was wearing a ball cap with the presidential seal on it. Around her neck was a camera. She was also wearing a fanny pack that contained her 38. Her nine millimeter was too big for the pack.

“Nice tourist look,” complimented Jo, who was wearing a Georgetown t-shirt, shorts and sandals.

Madison was wearing a Redskins jersey and ball cap. Around his neck he had on four or five gold chains. Tom was wearing the uniform of a custodian. William was wearing his normal suit.

Steve briefed them on the operation. The team would try to be as close to Alyce as possible. Steve wanted one agent to sit behind Barry, and Madison was assigned this task. Once Barry said the magic words, Alyce would say, “Sounds great, let’s go.” This would signal the rest of the team to arrest Barry, and to get Alyce away from him. Hopefully, this would occur without incident. Additionally, six agents were standing by outside, in case Barry escaped.

“I’ll contact the DC police as soon as we arrive, so that they’re aware of what we’re doing,” announced Steve. “Also, we don’t need them getting in the way.”

“What about the mall security?” asked Ally.

“The head of security is retired DC police, and he’s promised me that his officers will stay out of the way. He’ll brief them this morning, once we arrive,” answered Steve. “Let’s do this right, and if things appear to go south, I’ll abort the mission. We’ll hold a comms check in twenty minutes and again once we get there. Are there any questions?”

Steve scanned the room and saw no questions.

“Okay, Alyce, once more, what time is Barry due to meet you there?” asked Steve.

“He said between ten-thirty and eleven,” replied Alyce.

“Ally, I want you there around ten fifteen. Jo, you need to be there at ten. Alyce pick a table as close to them as possible. Madison, you take a seat somewhere behind him,” instructed Steve.

“What about me?” asked William.

“Come in sometime after ten-thirty. Head over to the coffee kiosk, then make a long cell phone call. Try to look like one of those obnoxious businessmen,” replied Steve.

William nodded with a smile. He seemed genuinely happy to be involved in the stakeout.

“Tom, you just work your way around the food court,” continued Steve.

“Where’s Miguel?” asked Donna.

“He’s over at Union Station setting up our video system. Alyce we’ll need to get your wire hooked up,” answered Steve.

“How long will we wait, if he doesn’t show up?” asked Jo.

“If he’s late, I’ll move some of you around. If he doesn’t show up by noon, we’re done,” replied Steve.

“I expect he’ll call me,” stated Alyce.

“I imagine he will,” added Ally.

“Okay, weapons and communication checks will start in ten minutes,” announced Steve.

Chapter 43

Ally sat at the table with a cup of coffee in front of her, along with pamphlets of the various tourist sites. Additionally, she appeared to be reading a tour book. Alyce was sitting at a table six feet away from her. Jo was sitting at a table to the right of Alyce. Ally noticed that Jo’s backpack was positioned to have a nice view of Alyce’s table.

Ally watched as a Tom pushed a mop to clean up a spilled drink. She wondered if Madison had kept his promise and spilled it.

Madison was nowhere to be seen, but Ally sensed that he was nearby. So far Barry hadn’t shown up, and Ally glanced at her watch. It was ten forty-eight. William walked up to the coffee stand and placed his order. He pulled out his phone and began to talk. He fit in perfectly with the other businessmen in the area. Everyone was there but the predator.

Ally was enjoying every second of the stakeout. She knew the dangers, but she didn’t care, as she truly loved this part of her job. She glanced up from her book and scanned around. No one appeared out of place.

Alyce was fidgeting nervously at the table. Part of this was real, although mostly it was due to her being in character of a teenage girl skipping school to meet a boy.

Ally heard a cell phone chime. The ring tone was from a popular new song, the type of thing a teenager would have on their phone. It was Alyce’s phone. She saw Alyce answer and begin to look around. Out of the corner of her eye, Ally saw a thirtyish looking white male approach Alyce’s table. He was five-nine and had short brown hair. He was wearing jeans and a green shirt. He sat down across from Alyce and started talking to her.

Ally then heard Steve’s voice. “This is it. He claims he’s Barry.”

Ally continued to read her tour book, highlighting passages as she went along. She then saw Madison strut in and plop down in an open seat two tables behind Barry. He had what looked like a MP-3 player on and he began to read the paper, opening up the sports page. Tom slowly worked his way closer, stopping at an empty table to wipe the top and scoop up the trash. The net was closing around Barry; all it would take was Alyce’s keyword.

Looking up from her book, Ally could see that Barry was now holding Alyce’s hand in his. He was leaning over and smiling at her. A few more minutes passed until Ally heard Steve’s voice in her earphone.

“That’s it, Alyce gave the code word. All agents move in. Arrest the suspect,” stated Steve.

Ally got up and calmly appeared to gather her belongings. What was important to Ally was getting Alyce away from Barry. She then walked towards Alyce and Barry. Madison was approaching from behind. Ally caught Madison’s eye signals and she nodded slightly. Barry was now standing up, holding Alyce by the hand. As Ally walked by, she suddenly dropped her things, grabbed Alyce by the arms and pulled her suddenly away from Barry. At the same time, Madison moved in and grabbed Barry from behind, placing him in a bear hug. Tom, seeing his partner’s signal to Ally had closed in and pressed up against Barry. Jo and William covered the other side. It was all over in an instant.

They quickly hustled him out of the public eye. It had happened so quickly that most of the civilians never saw a thing.

They entered a service tunnel and cuffed Barry, as Jo read him his rights.

“What the fuck is going on?” he screamed as it hit him that he was under arrest.

“You propositioned a person you thought was a fifteen year-old girl,” stated Ally. “That’s against the law.”

“Propositioned her? Bull, she’s my cousin.” explained Barry with a smile.

“I’m a federal agent, and like Agent Burns just said, you’re under arrest,” replied Alyce.

“You’re a cop too?” stammered Barry.

Alyce nodded, as she held up her badge.

“Well, it’s still your word against mine!” blustered Barry nervously.

“We got the whole thing on tape and audio,” replied Alyce.

Barry stared back and then murmured. “I think… I think I need a lawyer.”

Alyce nodded and turned to Ally and mouthed “Duh!”

William turned to Ally. “Not too bright, is he?”

“They never are,” she replied.

They read him his rights as they searched him and found that his real name was Peter Thomas Barry. They ran a background check and found he had a long record, including a previous arrest for sexual assault on a minor.

“He’s currently on parole and is on a list of known sexual predators,” stated Donna, as she hung up her cell phone. “His name will look good on the wall of shame.”

“How’re you doing Alyce?” asked Ally.

“Good, thanks. That was a cool move you guys made,” she answered.

“It was Madison’s idea, I was just following his lead,” replied Ally.

They walked Barry out to be booked. Steve met them outside. He had a big smile on his face.

“We got it all on video and audio. This one will be a slam-dunk.”

“Have we located his car yet?” asked Ally.

Steve nodded. “We’re just waiting on the warrant to arrive. I’ve got a team going out to his house. His address is an old farmhouse north of here.”

Thirty minutes later they began to search Barry’s car. Inside the back seat was a black bag. Inside the bag was a pair of handcuffs, rope, tape, several condoms, and a knife.

“Better get the crime lab guys in here. The knife looks like it has blood stains on it,” noted Tom.

Alyce stared at the items in the bag and began to tremble slightly. Ally noticed this and took her aside.

“It’s okay, Alyce. I often got the shakes after a stakeout,” confessed Ally.

“Really?” asked Alyce.

Ally nodded. “You were great today.”

“Thanks.”

“Looks like the crime lab guys are taking it from here, so everyone back to the Agency for the debrief. Afterwards, we’ll tip back a few cold ones,” announced Steve.

“Is he serious?” asked Alyce.

Ally nodded. “It’s a tradition.”

“And you don’t mess with tradition,” interjected Madison.

Chapter 44

The beer was on ice and tasted great. A search of Barry’s house had turned up a wealth of evidence. It was quickly apparent that he was a serial rapist and child molester. William’s jacket was off and his tie loosened as he reached into the cooler for another beer.

“What did you think?” asked Ally.

“Well run operation. It felt good to be back in the field again,” he replied. “Thanks for letting me tag along.”

Ally nodded and drank her beer. She was pleased to see that Alyce was being treated so well by the agents in Spec-Ops. She couldn’t help but notice that Madison was paying extra attention to her.

“They’ll make a cute couple,” whispered Donna.

“You think?” replied Ally.

“Our boy Barry is becoming a very popular man. So far, three different departments want to question him,” stated Donna proudly.

“It was a very good bust,” added Ally extending her bottle of beer to Donna’s.

William extended his hand. “Yes, congrats, Donna.”

Donna shook his hand and smiled. “We’ll have his name up on the wall tomorrow.”

William worked his way over to Steve.

“You guys are everything I’ve heard about,” William noted. “I’m very impressed.”

“My team likes these sorts of arrests, as it gets some real garbage off the streets,” replied Steve. “We also like helping out Ally and her department.”

“I’ve noticed that.”

“My agents know the real thing when they see it. They know and respect Ally. She’s tough and smart. Hell, I even tried to get her on my team.”

“I read about the MNF case,” stated William.

“Did you read the case where she was targeted for a hit by some psycho cop?”

William shook his head and Steve told him about the disgruntled detective who’d tried to kill her the previous year.

“Granted, the killer wasn’t aware that he was stalking the wrong person. But at no time did Ally ever flinch or request special treatment,” continued Steve.

“You admire her,” remarked William.

Steve smiled and nodded. “It’s hard not to. She’s also making a difference with her department. I had to admit that I was a skeptical at first when I heard the Agency was going to devote an entire department to fighting Internet sexual predators, but that’s all changed when I’ve seen the results.”

William nodded. “I’m just not sure it’s for me.”

Steve stared back. “What’s the prognosis on your leg?”

“The doctors don’t expect it to get much better,” replied William. “I’m not totally sold on them.”

“So for now you’re off field work,” continued Steve.

William nodded. “For now.”

“I take it you’ve been a field agent your whole career?”

“Yes. I’d still be doing it, if it wasn’t for that damn car wreck.”

“I’m not going to tell you what do with your career, but you could do worse than to work for Ally. The Director himself has taken an interest in her and her department. She hasn’t disappointed him with their results. I wouldn’t be surprised if she eventually moves on to a higher level of responsibility.”

William cocked his head, as he hadn’t heard that before.

“Because her department truly needs the cooperation of other departments, she runs it that way. She has built up ties with the other Agency departments and other law enforcement agencies. She’s hasn’t been perfect, but overall she’s done well. The other regional offices are using this as a model, like you should.”

“So you think I should keep the job?”

Steve nodded. “I would if I was in your shoes.”

“I don’t know. I’m too set in my ways. I felt so out of place dealing with Donna’s agents. They are good, extremely good, and it scares me that they know more than I do,” confessed William. “They’re not the sort of agents I’m used to dealing with. I don’t know if I can relate to them and that they can relate to me.”

“Bullshit. What they need is a supervisor willing to work with them and to direct them. You have the years of field experience that they lack. I know that Ally has a tendency to recruit less than conventional people, but they work for the type of investigations they do. They take pride in their work and want to become real agents, not just computer techs. That’s one of Ally’s changes.”

“What do you mean?” asked William as he grabbed a beer. He also handed a fresh one to Steve.

“The agency initially hired computer techs to do the job as they didn’t think they needed to waste real agents, and it wasn’t that successful. They lacked a connection to the rest of the Agency. The Director wanted this department to succeed, so he sent out an agent to check out a detective who was having great success out west. Instead of just picking the agent’s brain, they recruited her instead. Ally has brought in agents who have the skills to do the job. Additionally, she weeded out those who couldn’t or wouldn’t fit in. Most stayed and have become excellent agents. Everyone who presently works in her department is a qualified agent. Donna was one of those who was here before Ally, as was David, who runs the West Coast office. Both had been computer technicians, now they’re running branch offices, and both have become excellent agents.”

William sat down on one of the folding chairs and drank his beer.

“Ally can benefit from your experience; she still young and has some things to learn. She can be stubborn at times, but then aren’t we all. But she does listen to reason,” continued Steve.

“And her personal situation has no bearing on her performance?”

Steve shook his head and laughed. “She came here as Ally. She could have tried to hide the truth, but didn’t. She just wants to be the best agent she can.”

“But I’ve noticed that she’s had more than a few cases involved with LGBT teens.”

“True, but that’s because they’re in the highest risk group. She’s also targeted minority teens too. She might be more sensitive about transgendered teens, but I’ve never seen it cloud her judgment.”

William began to rub his leg. “Maybe I’m just too set in my ways to change.”

“I doubt that.”

William looked up at Steve. “Why?”

“Because, you’re here. You could have just gone through the motions, observed the operation, and then quit. But you didn’t. I watched you in the briefings; you weren’t just there to play along. And don’t tell me it was just because you wanted to be back in the field.”

William didn’t say a word and drained his beer.

“Think about it, William.”

Chapter 45

The following day, Ally, Donna, and William met with the prosecutor who was handling the case against Peter Thomas Barry.

“Do you always get all the perverts, Ty?” asked Ally.

Ty laughed. “It does seem that way.”

Ally introduced Ty to William. “He’s the man who recently prosecuted Margo Simon.”

“I read the file, you did an outstanding job,” remarked William.

“Thanks, but it was pretty cut and dried, thanks to Ally and Donna’s investigation,” replied Ty.

“So how does it look for Barry?” asked Donna.

“You guys get a gold star for this one. He’s a real piece of shit,” replied Ty.

“Is that a legal term?” asked Ally with a wink.

Ty nodded. “Actually it’s a compliment. We’re sorting through his home. Like most serial molesters, he kept souvenirs. We’re not done calculating all the charges against him, but it looks like he’s attacked and molested thirty or forty teens in the area over the last five years. We can tie him to cases in Maryland, Virginia, DC, and West Virginia. The locals are lining up for their shot at him. We have proof that he brought the victims across stateliness to his house, so we have him on federal charges too. I suspect that he’ll spend the rest of his life in prison, the only question is which one.”

Donna nodded. “Make it the worst one possible.”

“He’ll have to watch his back no matter which one we send him to; many of his new roommates may not approve of his crimes,” added Ty.

“Not that I approve of vigilante justice, but I doubt any of his victims will shed a tear for him,” interjected William.

“Oh, Donna, I’ll need to see the conversations that your agent had with him,” continued Ty.

“That’s not a problem, we have it all in our computers,” replied Donna. “I can have a copy sent to your office today.”

“Damn, I love you. You make my job so easy,” replied Ty.

Donna and Ally laughed.

“Have you ever had a problem with admitting the computer conversations with the courts?” asked William.

Ty shook his head. “No, as long as the agents follow their procedures and let the suspect contact them first, then it’s not entrapment. It’s gotten so that if the defense attorneys find out that we have them, they usually try to cop a plea. It saves us a lot of time and money.”

“As for the video and audio tapes, we get the undercover agent to remind the suspect that they’re underage. Once he acknowledges and accepts that, then we’ve nailed him,” added Ally. “It’s hard for a suspect to say he was entrapped when we have him on tape saying he likes the fact that the bait-teen is underage.”

“Your prosecutor in the Midwestern region is Marshal Gil. He’ll handle most of the cases that don’t go to the local authorities. He’s a tough bastard. I can call him and set up a meeting for you when you get back,” offered Ty. “I know he really loves prosecuting sexual predators.”

William nodded. “Thank you, I’d appreciate that.”

Ally cocked her head and glanced over at William.

“Ty, have you seen the videos yet? Any problems with them?” asked Donna.

Ty shook his head. “It’s perfect. Alyce did a superb job and played him perfectly. I could use it as a textbook example of an arrest.”

Donna smiled.

“Don’t compliment her too much, Ty, she’s starting to get a big head,” piped in Ally.

“So, do you think he’ll go to trial?” asked Ally.

“If I was his attorney, I wouldn’t recommend it. Juries these days are very harsh towards sexual predators like him,” replied Ty.

“I’m just glad he’s off the street.”

“Oh, by the way, a friend of mine in the DA’s office called and said thanks for help in busting some local lowlifes. What’s going on, are you fighting crime on your own at night?” asked Ty with a sly smile. “If so, I hope you get a cool costume.”

Ally laughed and shrugged her shoulders. “I was just helping out a friend. It just happened that I happened to be in the right place at the right time.”

“What’s he talking about?” asked Donna. “This sounds juicy.”

“Sorry, can’t talk about it,” replied Ally.

Donna was about to press Ally for more information.

“I mean it, I can’t talk about it,” interrupted Ally.

Donna nodded. “Okay.”

“Well, I need to go. Thanks again for making my job easy. It was a pleasure meeting you, William,” stated Ty.

After Ty left, Ally turned to Donna. “I didn’t mean to be abrupt with you, but I was working on Agency business, and I can’t talk about the case.”

“No, problem, boss,” replied Donna with a smile. “Well, I’d better get back to the office. We can’t rest on our laurels.”

“You can’t fool me, you just want to call David in Seattle and rub it in that your department made another arrest,” replied Ally.

Donna shrugged her shoulders. “Guilty as charged.”

Chapter 46

“Oh, you feel like a little side trip, William?” asked Ally.

“What do you have in mind?” he replied.

“I want you to meet some of the teens we rescued from Margo Simon. A one-time victim of Margo’s now runs an organization that assists teens with gender issues.”

“I remember seeing something related to that in the file you gave me. It’s up in New York, right?”

“Long Island to be exact. Celeste Farnsworth has some of the teens at her home. Their new facilities will be opening in June in Connecticut.”

William nodded.

“We can fly up tomorrow morning, and still be back in the evening,” continued Ally.

“Sounds like you’ve already made the flight arrangements,” noted William.

“Is that a yes?” asked Ally.

“Sure,” he replied.

“Great, I’ll pick you up at your hotel at seven tomorrow morning.”

Chapter 47

“It’s good to see you again, Michael,” greeted Ally.

The large African-American man nodded. “It’s always a pleasure to see you again, Ms. Burns. Ms. Farnsworth is looking forward to seeing you.” He then opened the door to the limo.

Ally and William had just stepped off a private jet on Long Island. Celeste had sent out her limo to meet them.

“Michael, this is Agent William Shaw. Also as I’ve told you before, please call me Ally.”

Michael nodded and greeted William. “Yes, Ms. Burns, I’ll try to remember that. A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Shaw.” He then winked at Ally.

They arrived at Celeste’s estate a short time later. William let out a low whistle when he saw the mansion.

Celeste was waiting for them by the front door. She was dressed in a linen dress and was accompanied by a large mixed breed dog. William wasn’t sure, but it looked as if it had some Labrador in its bloodline.

“Ally, it’s wonderful to see you again,” greeted Celeste.

The dog broke away and ran up to Ally, its tail wagging enthusiastically.

“Hi, Celeste, and hello to you, Spirit; my, you’ve grown!” exclaimed Ally, as she petted Spirit. “Celeste, this is William Shaw.”

“I’ve heard so much about you, it’s a pleasure to meet you at last,” welcomed Celeste.

William smiled. Part of him couldn’t believe that the cultured young woman in front of him had once been a male. “I’ve heard much about you, Mrs. Farnsworth.”

“Please call me Celeste.”

“This is Spirit,” added Ally. “She’s the house guardian.”

William reached down and let the dog sniff his hand. Spirit showed her approval by laying down a long wet lick across his hand. William smiled and reached back behind Spirit’s ears and began to scratch her. “She’s part Lab, right?”

“And Chesapeake,” replied Celeste.

“Nice combination,” he replied.

“Yes, she’s a magnificent dog. I assumed that you didn’t have time to have a proper meal, so I’ve taken the liberty to have lunch ready inside. Afterwards, you can meet some of the girls,” announced Celeste.

“That’s sounds great,” replied William, as he continued to pet Spirit.

As they walked inside, Celeste turned to Ally. “The invitations go out this week for the dedication and opening of the center in Connecticut. I hope that you can make it.”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” replied Ally. “I know you’re going to be busy, but you know Beth’s graduation is the week before, can you make it?”

“I wouldn’t dream of missing it.”

“Who’s Beth?” asked William.

They arrived on the deck and sat down. Spirit flopped down on a doggie bed.

“Beth is Steve’s daughter,” replied Ally.

William nodded. He then stopped. “Wait a minute, you mean Steve’s daughter was the Beth abducted in the Margo Simon case?”

Ally and Celeste nodded in unison.

“Was that planned?”

“No, just one of the weird coincidences that seems to happen. It’s a long story, but basically, she was targeted by Margo’s organization because she fit the profile of the type of girl they wanted. Beth had been helping out on the case, as she’s a sometimes agent.”

“Wild,” replied William.

“I’ll tell you more later,” replied Ally.

“She’s also going to be my roommate at college,” added Celeste. “We’re both attending the University of Pennsylvania this fall.”

A short Hispanic woman walked out on the deck. “Are you ready for lunch, Celeste?”

“Yes, Ina. Oh, you remember Ally, don’t you?” asked Celeste. “This is another agent, William Shaw.”

“It’s a pleasure to see you again, Agent Burns,” replied Ina. “Pleased to meet you, Agent Shaw.”

Before Ally could reply, Ina departed to get lunch.

“Don’t worry about it, Ally, it took me several years to get her to call me Celeste. Lunch will be inside. I’ve arranged for two of the girls to be present. They both know that you’re agents, and that you want to talk to them. Brenda and Tina have been here since they were recovered after Margo was arrested. Ally said that you’ve read the files on them.”

William nodded.

“They’re both ready to move on from here. Tina’s attending college in Boston this fall to study music, and Brenda’s going to school to study business administration. They’re very different, but are extremely close. Tina is very outspoken, almost to the point of being abrasive. Brenda is submissive. Both are extremely intelligent. Don’t patronize either one, Tina will lash out at you and Brenda will close up,” explained Celeste.

“I won’t,” replied William.

“The other person at lunch will be Dr. Nancy Chen; she’s the head therapist here and one of my best friends. She’s been instrumental in the recovery of Brenda and Tina,” continued Celeste.

“How many girls are presently here?” asked William.

“Four right now. The other two girls aren’t ready to talk about their situations,” replied Celeste as she stood up.

Spirit also got up and followed Celeste and the others inside.

“How many teens will be at the facility in Connecticut?” asked William.

“We’ll open with rooms for thirty teens. Eventually, I would like to expand to fifty. Actually, that’s not true. I’d prefer to close it, but unfortunately I doubt that will happen soon,” replied Celeste.

Celeste led them into a dining room. Ina had prepared lobster tacos. The others were already waiting at the table. Celeste made the introductions as they sat down. Spirit walked over to another dog pad and went to sleep.

Tina was dressed in a black skirt and white cotton blouse. Brenda was wearing a denim skirt and green t-shirt.

“I haven’t had lobster tacos in ages,” replied Ally. “I used to go down to Baja when I was in college to get them.”

“I asked Ina to make them especially for you,” replied Celeste.

William had to admit they were excellent. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a large black cat slink in and stop next to Spirit. The cat stretched and then joined the dog in a nap.

Noticing William was distracted by what was going on with the animals, Brenda piped in. “That’s Violet; she’s known Spirit since she was a kitten. They’re best buddies.”

“We had a cat that was that way,” replied William. “I was raised on a farm in Minnesota. We had a big gray female cat of undetermined lineage who ruled the farmyard. When our retriever had pups, the cat acted as a nanny and watched out for the pups. The puppies in turn thought this was perfectly normal. The cat later did the same thing with a baby raccoon.”

“You mean she raised the raccoon as if it was one of her own kittens?” asked Brenda.

William nodded.

“Too bad people can’t get along as well,” stated Tina.

“Always the optimist, Tina,” replied Brenda with a grin. “William, do you have a pet now?”

“No, but my girlfriend has a wirehaired terrier that I’m rather fond of.”

“Those are cool dogs, what’s its name?” asked Brenda.

“Her name is Tinkerbell, but she replies to Tink. Don’t judge her by her name, she’s not a wimpy dog by any imagination; she loves to go for long romps in the country,” replied William. “We even take her camping and canoeing.”

Ally was both surprised and pleased by this sudden show of humanity in William.

“Ally, Celeste told us you’d got a kitten; what’s she like?” asked Brenda.

“Bogie is so sweet. She’s become a real member of the family,” replied Ally.

“You have a female kitten named Bogie?” asked William with a laugh.

“All due to a case of mistaken identity,” replied Ally. “I doubt if she knows the difference.”

They all laughed.

Dessert was Key Lime pie, and it quickly disappeared as the discussion started.

“William is interested in the type of investigations that I’m involved with, and how important they are,” explained Ally. She saw no need to put William on the defensive by telling the truth, that he wanted out of his position.

“What can I say; if it hadn’t been for you, I’d be still be working in a sex club in Tokyo,” stated Tina bluntly. “No one was looking for us.”

“I’d be a French maid for some pervert,” added Brenda, who felt a shiver of fear run up her spine.

“Do you feel that there are others like Margo Simon out there?” he asked.

“She was just the supplier. She’s scum, but she didn’t force us on anyone. There were men and women bidding huge sums of money to get us,” replied Tina.

“But those aren’t the type of people to be cruising chatrooms looking for victims,” stated William.

“Not necessarily. The guy who initially bought me acquired his first slave via the net; may he rot in hell,” stated Tina.

William remembered from the file that the man, who’d bought Tina, Jack Rockford, had been killed in prison.

“Still, it doesn’t matter if they’re rich or poor, no one should be allowed to do what they did to us and the others,” added Brenda.

“But how do you feel about the fact that chatrooms might be constantly monitored by federal agents?” asked William.

“If you had asked me that question before I was transformed, I would have been totally against it, but there are some real evil people out there. They need to be caught and punished,” answered Tina.

“I fully support freedom of speech, and I don’t like the idea of the government snooping on me, but I don’t mind the idea of having a lifeguard in the pool, just as long as they stick to the task at hand,” added Brenda. “There’s a lot of issues discussed in the rooms; some may not be legal or considered moral by some adults.”

“Like what?” asked William.

“Sex, dating, drugs, birth control, among other things,” listed Tina. “What we don’t need are morality police. It’s just talk. You can’t stop people from seeking information, but you need to keep the perverts out.”

William nodded and absorbed what the two teens were saying.

“So, are you going to join Ally’s department?” asked Tina.

“That hasn’t been decided yet,” he replied and glanced over at Ally.

“You should, she can use the help,” continued Tina.

“I agree,” replied Brenda.

“How do you know that I’d do a good job?” asked William.

“You’re here, aren’t you?” asked Tina. “You know the truth about us; we were both once boys, yet you treat us with respect and seek our opinions. I doubt you could fake that. If you tried, we would have sensed it. We’ve both seen posers before.”

William laughed. “I appreciate your honesty, it’s refreshing. However, do you think that it’s the job of the feds?”

“If not you, then who?” asked Tina.

“I mean, local cops only care what happens in their area. Some cops don’t care what happens to gay, lesbian, or transgendered teens. Ally can tell you all about that.”

Ally nodded. “Unfortunately, we’ve uncovered many cases where the police have ignored a predator on LGBT teens. They justify it by their personal morality.”

“My favorite is that ‘they asked for it.’ Really? They asked to be abducted and sexually abused? Did the ones who got murdered have to beg extra hard?” added Nancy. “Sorry, but that’s a sore spot for me.”

“We’ve also uncovered cases where the cops assisted the predators,” added Ally.

“Having Ally and the others forces the locals to take this sort of crime more seriously. Some ‘mainstream’ people may not feel this is necessary, but then there are always those who ignore the crimes against minorities,” added Brenda.

“You’ve given me a lot to think about,” replied William. “Thank you again.”

Tina smiled. “Seriously, we need people to go after the bastards who did this to us and others.”

“Celeste updates us whenever Ally’s department nails another one; it doesn’t exactly make me happy, but I’m relieved that another predator is in jail,” interjected Brenda.

“Speak for yourself. I love to hear that another pervert has been caught,” stated Tina with a laugh.

“You’ll be glad to know that we got another one this week,” interrupted Ally.

“Ooo, tell me about it!” exclaimed Tina.

Ally told them about the arrest of Barry.

“See, what other proof do you need? That bastard would still be walking around if it hadn’t been for Ally’s department,” stated Tina.

“So, when do you have to make up your mind about working for Ally?” asked Brenda.

“Good question,” replied Ally as she glanced over at William.

A sly smile grew on his face. “You’ve given me plenty to think about.”

Chapter 48

“Those two girls are something else,” stated William on the flight back to DC.

“You should have seen them when they were first rescued. I’m amazed how well they’re recovered,” replied Ally. She noted that he had referred to Brenda and Tina as girls.”

“I read the files. I can’t believe that Tina tried to kill herself. She seems so strong.”

“She tries to be. She suffered much worse treatment than Brenda.”

“And do you think that there are others like Margo Simon out there?”

Ally nodded. “Unfortunately.”

“And that’s why you stick with it?”

“I’m like Tina; I love it whenever we get a predator, big or small. However, I get special pleasure whenever we nail someone like Margo. I know that we’re not supposed to get emotionally involved, but I can’t help it.”

“I envy your passion,” replied William. “Don’t get me wrong, I love my job, but I haven’t felt the zeal you have in a long time.”

Ally stared out the window of the jet. “I really want you to stay.”

“I’m still not sure that I’m the right man for the job.”

“I’m not sure if you are either, but I want you to try it. I want diversity among my agents. Donna and David have great potential, but they’re young. As for Samantha, she’s just getting started. However, you have more experience than all of them combined, and we could all learn from you,” continued Ally, “including me.”

William ran his hand back across the top of his head. “It’ll take some time to bring the St. Louis office up to snuff. I’ll have some bridges to repair with the agents.”

“Do what you think is right,” replied Ally.

“I still don’t know if I can relate to them. It’s so different than what I’m used to doing.”

“It’s still good guys vs. the bad guys,” replied Ally. “They want to go after the predators, they just need guidance.”

William nodded.

“How do you feel about working for me?” asked Ally.

William smiled back. “If you’d asked me that question a week ago, I don’t think you would have liked the answer. I was very uncomfortable about being with you. I almost didn’t come out here. But after seeing you at work, I have a different opinion. I still don’t understand what the hell you’re going through, but from what I’ve seen, it has no effect on your abilities.”

“Does that mean that you’ll stay?”

“I have another physical evaluation in two months. If I pass it, I’d prefer to go back to the field. But until then, I’ll do my best to get the Midwest up to the standards you’ve set,” replied William.

“Fair answer. What about if you fail?” asked Ally.

“I’m not even contemplating that answer,” he replied.

Ally nodded. “That’s honest. I can relate to that.”

“So what’s the status of your injury?”

“I’ve learned to live with the pain. I’m still weak, but I’ve adapted.”

“Is it bad enough to keep you off field work?”

Ally nodded. “Still, I have a job where I can sneak onto the occasional mission.”

“You miss it don’t you?”

“As much as I love my job, yes, there are times that I miss being out in the field.”

“I figured as much. I saw how much you enjoyed arresting Barry,” he replied.

“That was fun wasn’t it?”

William nodded.

“You’ll be able to supervise stakeouts,” added Ally with a wink.

William smiled back. “That’s true.”

“Okay, so I have you for two months… minimum,” stated Ally.

William nodded.

“It’ll take me some time to pick a relief,” continued Ally.

He nodded again.

“And then you’ll have to train him or her,” added Ally.

“True.”

“So, we’re looking at a few more months,” concluded Ally. She had a slight smile on her face.

“Maybe.”

“Don’t worry; William, I’ll let you move on, if that’s what you want to do.”

“Deal.”

Chapter 49

Ally called Robert Ledyard on the way home.

“You handled this in a very professional manner, I’m very pleased,” replied Robert.

“It will be interesting. I know we won’t always be on the same page, but maybe that will be good.”

“Oh, our mutual friend was hired,” stated Robert.

Ally wanted to ask more, but didn’t as she knew that Robert wouldn’t tell her anything else.

“Thanks.”

Chapter 50

It was a beautiful June evening when Beth Williams received her diploma. She might not have had the biggest cheering section, but it was the best armed.

Ally, Carol, Donna, Ed, Madison, Tom, and Celeste sat next to Steve and Maggie, who was holding the baby. Andrea was seated next to Steve.

“It’s a good thing they didn’t have metal detectors here,” whispered Tom.

Ally giggled. “I wonder if the Director is here.”

“Anything is possible,” replied Carol, glancing around. It was no secret that he had a special interest in Beth.

Beth graduated with honors and received several academic awards.

She met up with everyone after the ceremony, still wearing her cap and gown.

“I did it!” she exclaimed.

She was immediately hugged by the others. Only a select few knew the double meaning of her exclamation. She was celebrating the fact that she survived high school a second time.

“So, where’s the party?” asked Tom.

“At Kevin’s house. His family is letting him throw a big party,” replied Beth.

“It’s amazing how time flies,” stated Madison, as he hugged Beth. “Why, it just seems like yesterday I was teaching you how to get out of handcuffs.”

Beth broke out laughing. “I bet I’m the only one in the senior class that can do that.”

As they talked, a delivery man worked over towards them. “Excuse me, are you Beth Williams?”

Beth nodded.

“Podunk? Oh, that hurts!” replied George.

“Finally! I’ve been working my way through this crowd for ten minutes,” he replied with a smile. He then produced a bouquet of red roses. “I’ll need you to sign for these.”

Beth signed the receipt and took the roses. “They’re beautiful.”

“Who are they from?” asked Maggie.

Beth fumbled opening the card. Ally smiled and took the roses from her. “Thanks, Ally. “ She opened the card and read it. She suddenly got choked up and appeared to be fighting back tears. “They’re from the Director!”

“That was very thoughtful,” stated Andrea. “I’m pleased to see that he hasn’t lost his manners.”

“We’ll take them home for you Beth,” stated Maggie.

‘Thanks, Mom.”

Beth made the rounds hugging everyone, before heading off to Kevin’s house.

“Do you want us to keep an eye on her?” Tom asked Steve. “We can set up a surveillance operation.”

“Don’t you even think of it!” interjected Ally.

Steve laughed. “No, Kevin’s a good kid. I don’t think we need to worry about Beth.”

“Since we’re all here, why don’t we go get something to eat?” suggested Maggie.

“That sounds like a great idea,” replied Steve. He pulled out his phone and called up a local Italian seafood restaurant that was one of their favorite places to eat. He reserved a table for them.

Chapter 51

The owner of the restaurant was a good friend of Steve and Maggie’s and had a table in the back room assigned to them. The table was covered with a variety of appetizers, ranging from calamari to shrimp. Additionally, there were several bottles of Chianti already open.

“I noticed that the shrimp was placed right in front of your seat,” observed Carol.

“He knows Steve,” replied Maggie.

Steve made a toast to Bath’s graduation. He then looked over at Ed, who replied with a slight nod.

“I have another toast to make. I want to welcome the newest member of the Agency. To Ed!”

Donna looked as shocked as everyone else.

“I just found out this afternoon, I wanted to keep it a secret until I knew for sure,” stated Ed.

“What about the navy?” asked Donna.

“I’ll transfer to the Fleet Reserve in August. I’ll still owe them a weekend a month, but that won’t be too hard. Do you mind?”

Donna wrapped her arms around him and gave him a long passionate kiss.

“That looks like she approves,” noted Madison.

“What department will he be working in?” Maggie asked Steve.

“They’ll decide after he completes indoc training. I wouldn’t mind having him in our department, we are short two agents right now,” answered Steve.

Ed and Donna broke off the kiss.

Tom extended his hand. “Welcome to the Agency.”

“Thanks,” replied Ed.

Ally noticed how happy Donna looked. She was very happy for her, as she knew how lonely Donna got when Ed was deployed.

“We know that Steve wants you, but what department would you like to work in?” asked Maggie.

“I’d be honored to work with Steve, but right now I haven’t given it much thought. I’m just happy to be a part of the team,” replied Ed.

“By the way, Ally, have you heard anything from William lately?” asked Maggie.

“His physical is next week. I’m rather torn in my feelings, as he’s done wonders the last two months. He’s really getting some results out there,” replied Ally. “I know he still wants to go back to field work. Part of me hopes he gets his wish, but then again, I’d hate to lose him.”

“We can go out there and pull a Tonya Harding on his knee,” offered Tom.

Madison smiled and began to punch his open palm.

Tom’s offer caused some groans and laughs.

“Do you ever have a solution that doesn’t involve causing physical injury to someone?” asked Ally with a smile.

Tom glanced over at Madison with a confused look on his face. He then turned back to Ally. “You can solve things without causing physical injury?”

Everyone laughed again.

“Switching subjects, how are the preparations coming along for the grand opening this weekend, Celeste?” asked Carol.

“Everything is falling into place,” she replied. “Actually, we’re already moving some of the teens there.”

“How many?” asked Andrea.

“Ten so far. We’ve been sorting through a stack of applications. I imagine we’ll be full by fall,” replied Celeste.

“Are all the teens victims of sexual abuse?” asked Madison.

“No, we have a few special cases,” answered Celeste. “However, many of them are victims of forced gender change. Some just need a place to recover; others have no other place to go.”

“What do you mean?” asked Ed.

“Well, some of the teens aren’t exactly welcome back home. We’ve had parents refuse to take them back. In some cases, it’s the teen who doesn’t want to go back to an abusive situation.”

“What about social services?” asked Ed.

“We’re in contact with several agencies. We’re taking some of the more troubled cases, especially those who have been sexually abused,” replied Celeste.

“Sounds like social services could fill you up,” commented Madison.

“True. The cool thing is that we’ve been contacted by several agencies. They want to copy what we’re doing,” replied Celeste with a smile.

“Sounds like you’ve started something big,” remarked Maggie.

“Well, I’m looking forward to seeing the facilities,” announced Ally.

“Me too,” added Carol.

“I wish I could be there, but I have a prior engagement,” stated Andrea. “However, is it possible for me to see it when I get back from Denmark?”

Celeste nodded. “Absolutely. While some of the residents will initially require isolation, we don’t want the teens to be totally isolated. I want visitors. Regardless of their circumstances, I want our teens to learn that they’ll have to function in the real world, having visitors will definitely help. ”

“I’ll call you when I get back, I’d love to help.”

“I’ll look forward to it,” replied Celeste.

“Did you get the necessary licenses for the animals?” asked Ally.

“Animals?” asked Madison.

“Yes, we did. We’ve established a relationship with the local shelter,” answered Celeste. “We’ve going to have dogs and cats available for the teens. It’s a great source of therapy.”

“For the kids or the animals?” asked Madison.

“For both!” replied Celeste.

Chapter 52

Ally cuddled closer to Carol in bed.

“That was a lovely evening,” she sighed.

“Yes, it was. Beth looked so happy tonight.”

“She deserves it, after everything she has been through.”

“I agree,” replied Carol. “I think that in spite of her grumblings, going through high school again was the best thing that could have happened to Beth. It gave her time to adjust to her new age and gender.”

Ally nodded. “You still going out of town next week?”

“Yes, there’s no avoiding it,” replied Carol, as she stroked Ally’s hair.

“I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too,” replied Carol. She then kissed Ally. “Besides, it will only be three or four weeks.”

“I know, but it’ll be the longest period we’ve been separated.”

“When I get back, we’ll finish up the plans for the ceremony.”

“Our little ceremony is getting rather large,” stated Ally.

“I know. But I’m happy that our parents insist on attending.”

“True. So what’s the count up to?”

“As of today, forty-six.”

“I guess it’s good that we’ve looked at hotels.”

“Yes, it has outgrown our deck,” replied Carol.

“It’s going to be so wonderful to be a legal couple,” exclaimed Ally.

“It really doesn’t make a difference to me. I’ve considered us a couple since you moved in with me,” replied Carol.

“I can’t imagine life without you.” Ally cooed

“Enough talk.” Carol pulled Ally closer and began to kiss her slowly.

Chapter 53

“I’m glad that you were able to push back the trip out west until after the opening of Celeste’s new facility,” stated Ally, as they drove up I-95. It was very early in the morning and they’d chosen this time to avoid traffic.

“Yes, but it does require me to fly out immediately afterwards. Thankfully, I was able to get the necessary flight connections out of JFK,” replied Carol. “I hope you don’t mind driving back the rest of the way alone.”

Ally shook her head. “It’s not a bad drive.”

They had decided to drive so that they could spend more time together. Bogie was being watched by a neighbor.

“Just watch the speed,” reminded Carol. “That flashing of your Agency ID won’t cut much slack with a Jersey State Trooper.”

“Sounds like you’re speaking from experience,” replied Ally, as she slowed down slightly.

Carol laughed. “No, I’ve never been caught speeding here in Jersey. Now, Pennsylvania is a whole other story, the troopers there are a pain. We should be coming up to the Garden State Parkway soon, shift over to that and we’ll get around driving through New York City.”

“Why do they call it a parkway?”

“You should see it at rush hour, and then you’d know,” replied Carol.

“You feel like stopping anytime soon?” asked Ally.

“No, I’m fine, what about you?”

“I could go for a relief in the driving soon. My shoulder is starting to bug me a little, don’t see the need to stress it too badly since you’re here.”

“Okay, as soon as we get on the Parkway, we should have a rest area coming up. That way we can combine it with a pit stop.”

“We’re making good time,” noted Ally.

“I agreed. We should be able to push on and stop in Connecticut for breakfast; we can then press on to Celeste’s.”

The facility was located on sixty acres of property next to the Connecticut River. It had once been a private school. The school had closed in the late sixties, and there had been various attempts to convert the facilities into something else. The last owners tried to turn it into a weekend spa, but failed due to lack of funds.

The location had many advantages. It was close to the interstate and at the same time was fairly isolated. Other than the main building, most of the structures were beyond saving. Celeste was pleased that no one raised a fuss when she had them demolished and replaced with new structures. She remarked, half-jokingly, that you can’t tear down an outhouse in parts of New England without creating a fuss with the local historical societies.

Celeste had picked the location only after having lengthy discussions with the town councils of the nearby communities. She was quite honest and open in telling them what would be going on at the center. While not everyone was initially pleased, they were appeased slightly when Celeste showed them how much of an impact the center would have on the economy. Between building and maintaining of facilities, and the purchases of supplies, many began to realize that the center was a good thing. Celeste also told them that an inn would be build nearby for visiting family members to stay. This would create additional jobs and revenue.

It didn’t hurt matters when several rich and prominent families in the area sided with Celeste. Celeste’s neighbor, and for all practical purpose her adopted grandmother, was a very influential woman named Margaret Torrey. Thanks to Margaret’s connections, Celeste had some powerful supporters. Not only did they give financial support to the Farnsworth Foundation, they provided political support.

Another action that aided the cause was when Celeste hired a large number of locals to work at the facility, ranging from maintenance personnel to cooks to teachers. She wanted the staff hired long before the first teen arrived, as Nancy had designed a training program to prepare them for the teens. Thanks to the money Celeste had raised and the funds confiscated from Margo Simon, Celeste could afford to pay her new employees above average starting salaries. They would also get full health coverage and other benefits.

Celeste also pointed out to the locals that if she didn’t buy it, the land might become another casino, or a housing development with strip malls. This was a lie, but the bluff worked, and most main objections were quickly dropped.

The only major opposition to the facility was from some of the local religious communities. Celeste handled this issue with the same dexterity that she had handled the town councils. She held a meeting with all the local religious leaders. She agreed to let them hold services for any of the teens who wished to participate. This, combined with some well placed donations to the churches, ended that threat.

One of the employees initially hired wasn’t a local. His name was Nathan Wayne, and he had recently retired from the Agency. He was the security chief and was responsible for designing a system to protect the teens, while at the same time keeping an eye on them.

The troubles with Dot and Tina had taught Celeste that security was a necessity. Dot had tried to run away several times. The teens would be monitored and tracked, so that they couldn’t run away or hurt themselves. Nathan designed a system that used internal tracking devices and underground sensors. This way the center didn’t need security fences, and maintained a more serene appearance. However from the security center, the locations of all teens could be pinpointed at a moment’s notice. There were also sensors to let Nathan know of unwanted visitors. Celeste wasn’t totally happy with the need for the security, but she understood its necessity.

While the inn wasn’t ready yet, Celeste had reserved an entire bed and breakfast for the guests. It was located ten miles away, but it had a nice view of the river, according to Celeste.

Ally and Carol arrived and checked in. As they unpacked, there was a knock on the door. Carol answered and was pleased to see Celeste standing in the doorway.

“Welcome to Connecticut,” she greeted. “How was the drive up?”

“Not too bad, traffic was surprisingly light,” replied Carol, as she hugged Celeste.

“And we didn’t even get a ticket!” piped in Ally, as she greeted Celeste.

“That’s good to hear. So, what’re plans for the rest of the day?”

“Nothing planned, what do you have in mind?” asked Carol.

“Would you like to see the center? I can give you a guided tour, and I’ve been dying to show it to someone!”

“Well, since you put it like that, we’d love to see it,” replied Ally.

A short drive later they pulled up to the entrance of the Shirley Farnsworth Center. There was a security gate, but the guard smiled and greeted them like they were pulling into a parking garage.

“We try to keep it low key, but that guard is ex-special forces. It’s not just keeping the teens in that’s a concern, but keeping the creeps out. Having a guard in uniform works very well.”

“That’s understandable,” replied Carol.

“We’ve also established a hotline to local law enforcement, should we get some uninvited guests. I owe your Director for cutting the red tape for that,” replied Celeste. “It’s strange, but he seems to have taken a special interest in the center.”

“You never can tell what he’ll do,” noted Carol.

They drove half a mile until they reached the main building.

“It’s huge!” exclaimed Ally as she stared at the large three story stone building.

“It was the original school building. It acted as dormitory, dining room, class rooms and offices. We plan on housing some of the teens here. The rest will be in the buildings to your left. The main building will also serve as the dining and recreation area, in addition to medical and administrative offices. We have a separate building to house the classrooms. One thing we intend is that the teens will not fall behind in terms of education.”

As they stepped out of the car, two black labs ran up to them, chased by a couple of teenagers. The first girl was thin and athletic looking with short blonde hair. The other girl had a more buxom appearance, her jet black hair was styled in a semi-punk rock cut.

The dogs enthusiastically greeted Celeste, Ally, and Carol.

“Sorry, Celeste, the dogs saw you arrive and took off,” apologized one of the girls.

“It’s okay, Jaime,” replied Celeste. “Jaime, Rita, these are two very good friends of mine.”

Celeste introduced the girls to Ally and Carol. The two girls then took off with the dogs.

“Pets are a big part of the rehab process,” noted Celeste. “Both those dogs were rescued from the local shelter.”

“That’s great,” replied Ally. “Is that the same Jaime that Iona was talking about?”

Celeste nodded. “She arrived here last week, and she’s a sweet girl. The other one was one of the teens rescued in the March raids. She initially went home with her parents, but then she had some issues. Her parents tried to treat her as a boy and as if nothing happened. Rita had been a feminized sex slave for almost three years, and the stress caused some additional emotional issues. She ran away and we found her turning tricks in New Haven. Fortunately the police found her; we’ve had her for two months now, and she’s made some excellent progress. Jamie and Rita have become inseparable. We’ve even moved them into the same bedroom. This wasn’t a hard decision, as they kept sneaking into each other’s rooms at night. They’re as close as sisters.”

“I would have never suspected that Jaime was ever a boy. Rita still has a slight masculine edge to her look,” noted Ally.

Celeste nodded in agreement. “Maybe it’s due to the nature of her transformation. Actually, I don’t think there’s much we can do for Jamie, as she’s pretty well adapted to being female, but I’m glad she’s here, as she’s been very helpful with the other teens. She’s even expressed an interest in studying to become a therapist.”

“Um, how do you explain her transformation? I mean magic isn’t exactly an accepted medical diagnosis,” asked Carol.

Celeste smiled. “We explain it by stating she has a hormonal imbalance due to medical treatments for cancer. It’s a bit lame, but it has seemed to have been accepted by others.”

“How many of the teens here are due to Margo?” asked Ally.

“Only half. The rest come from a variety of places. Some were abused by their parents or were runaways. We’ve even had one dropped off in the middle of the night.”

“You’re kidding, right?” asked Ally.

Celeste shook her head. “The teen was dropped off here two weeks ago. She had been kidnapped, transformed and enslaved. She’s also addicted to cocaine. We’ve got her in one of the outer buildings right now.”

“Any idea who brought her here?” asked Carol.

“Tammy was so strung out, she barely knew where she was, so she was no help. She did tell us that she was freed and her master was killed by an avenging angel. She also told us that her rescuer said that everything would be okay now.”

“Did you say avenging angel?” asked Ally.

“Yes, does that mean anything to you?” asked Celeste. “We reported the incident to the authorities.”

Ally glanced over at Carol and nodded. “It could be someone I’ve crossed paths with a few times. She’s someone that this sort of place might have helped, when she was younger. She goes around and tries to save teens from the abuse she experienced.”

“Who does she work for?” asked Celeste. “I’d like to thank her.”

“Good question. I suspect she would work for herself, if it came down to it. She harbors a strong hatred for the abusers of teens.”

“She’s a vigilante?” asked Celeste.

“I’m not sure if that’s a good choice of words. I suspect she has some connections to law enforcement. She has given us some leads in the past.”

“Well, I’m just glad she dropped Tammy here,” replied Celeste. “I’d still like to thank her, and let her know that we’ll always take those she has rescued.”

“If I run into her again, I’ll let her know,” replied Ally.

“What’s next on the grand tour?” asked Carol.

Celeste smiled and led them into the main building. Ally and Carol were very impressed with the facilities.

“I really love the dining room. It’s so homey and relaxing,” noted Carol.

“That’s the plan. We try to downplay the fact that this is an institution. The staff wear normal street clothes. The only uniform is worn by the security guard at the front gate,” replied Celeste. “Now let me show you the room that sold me on this site.”

They walked down to the far end of the first floor and into a large music hall.

“Isn’t this cool or what?” asked Celeste. “It was part of the original school.”

Ally and Carol looked around and saw a large concert piano in the corner. There was a stage with several chairs and music stands set up on it.

“We found with Tina that it’s beneficial to have a musical outlet available for them. We’ll bring in instruments depending on the musical abilities of the teens. We also have an art room,” explained Celeste. “Now, let me show you the kitchen.”

The large kitchen was designed with areas for cooking large meals or just a meal for one.

“We keep the fridge stocked with their comfort foods; most of the teens will have full access to the kitchen at all times. It’s all part of their rehab. We also offer cooking lessons,” explained Celeste. “This was Ina’s idea.”

“I’m very envious of all the counter space,” stated Carol. She then looked over at the large kitchen table.

Celeste noticing her gaze smiled. “That’s another of Ina’s ideas. Some of the new girls aren’t up to eating with the others. So we let them eat in here. We don’t want this to look like an institution, even if it is one.”

Over the next hour Celeste showed them the rest of the facilities.

“I must admit that I’m very impressed. How much did this all cost?” asked Ally.

“Millions, but most of it came from one benefactor,” replied Celeste with a wink.

“Maybe you should name a room after her?” suggested Ally.

“We named an entire structure after Margo. It’s over by the new construction site,” replied Celeste. “I’ll show you.”

A few minutes later they arrived by a building that was almost finished. It was a two story building that looked like a large colonial farmhouse, only much larger.

“This is out newest dorm,” noted Celeste. “We designed all the new buildings to look like there were here originally.”

“Please don’t tell me that you’re not naming that beautiful building after Margo?” asked a horrified Ally.

“Heavens no. That’s the building we named after her,” stated Celeste. She pointed to a small blue structure next to the uncompleted dorm.

Above the door there was a small crudely painted sign that identified it as Margo Simon Hall.

“I love it! You named the porta-pot after her!” exclaimed Ally, as she broke out in laughter.

“The workers don’t get it, but there are enough people here that get a laugh about it.”

“Who thought it up?” asked Carol.

“Tina. She even painted the sign,” noted Celeste.

“I should have known,” replied Ally as she pulled out her digital camera and took a photo of Margo Simon Hall.

“You going to show it to Margo?” asked Carol.

“No, but it’s tempting.”

Chapter 54

Celeste had to meet with some of the fundraisers for dinner so Ally and Carol were on their own.

They drove down the coast to a restaurant that Celeste had suggested. It was called JP Daniels and was located in Old Mystic. It turned out to be a converted barn featuring continental cuisine.

While sharing an appetizer of escargots, they talked about Celeste and the center.

“I’m very impressed with the facilities,” stated Carol.

“Me too. I now know we have a place to take teens that we rescue,” answered Ally, as she sipped her wine. “This is very good, I’ll have to remember it then next time I go wine shopping.”

“Too bad Steve and Maggie couldn’t make this trip. They would love this place.”

Ally nodded. “I know, but Maggie isn’t up to a long trip yet with the baby. They also had to get Beth to the airport.”

“Is anyone else from work coming?” asked Carol, as she finished off the last of escargots.

“The only one I know of is Jenna. Although I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Director here,” replied Ally, as she dipped a small piece of French bread into the leftover garlic juice of the escargots.

“I didn’t see his name on the list of dignitaries,” stated Carol.

“True, but I doubt he would allow that. I didn’t see our names on it either.”

Carol laughed. “Ego hurt?”

Ally waved her hand and shook her head. “No, but it will be fun to schmooze with some bigwigs. I’m looking forward to the reception afterwards.”

Carol smiled. “I must admit that I am too.”

During after dinner coffee, Ally turned to Carol. “You know, this area would be a nice place to take a vacation. I’ve always wanted to see New England,” commented Ally. “Maybe next summer we can drive up the coast to Maine.”

“That would be nice. My family used to vacation all over New England.”

“Why was that?” asked Ally. “You’re not from New England.”

“That’s not completely true. My parents are originally from up here, Dad’s from Boston and Mom’s from Portsmouth. They met when Dad was in the service. I was born in Boston but was raised in New York. As you know my parents divorced when I was young and my mother remarried. I grew up just outside New York, but used to visit my real father in Boston. I never liked being around my step-father. Thankfully mom divorced him eight years ago and I haven’t seen him since,” replied Carol. “I have relatives from Newport to Bangor. But don’t worry; we don’t have to see them all!”

Ally nodded. She knew that Carol’s step father had been very abusive to her and it was still a sore spot. “Your real parents have been so nice to me.”

“They like you, even if our relationship is confusing the hell out of them, especially Dad. I think they always suspected that I was different, but when I told them about you, it was a little beyond their comprehension at first. It forced them to look beyond the narrow band of their perception of relationships. So in some ways you got a free ride.”

Ally laughed.

Carol smiled. “You definitely won them over. They’re looking forward to our union ceremony. It’s nice to see them together. Even though they divorced when I was six, they now live only thirty miles apart. Personally, I think they still love each other, but they’re too stubborn to admit that they were wrong.”

Ally nodded. “Well, I know that my parents love you. They’ve adapted more easily to me being a woman and being with you than they have to me being a federal agent. I think I’m the black sheep of the family for going into law enforcement!”

“Oh, they’re very proud of you,” countered Carol.

“I know, but it still bugs them a little.”

“I’m glad that all our parents will finally get to meet,” added Carol.

“Yes, and they can meet their grandcat!”

Chapter 55

The ceremony was held at ten, with a luncheon reception following. Ally was wearing a linen dress and jacket, while Carol was sporting a light yellow dress.

They bumped into Jenna on the way to their seats. She was pleased to see both of them.

“This is a grand day,” she exclaimed. “It’s amazing to think it all started with arresting that beast Margo.”

Ally showed her the image of Margo Simon Hall.

“Oh, I want a copy of that!” replied Jenna.

Even though they weren’t on the list of dignitaries, they did have front row seats. The ceremony would take place in front of the main building. They sat next to a distinguished looking older woman. They engaged in some casual talk, while they waited for the ceremony to start. It then hit Ally who the woman was.

“Excuse me, are you Margaret Torrey?” asked Ally.

“Yes, how did you know that?” she asked.

“I’m Ally and this is Carol, we’re both good friends of Celeste Farnsworth. She’s told us so much about you.”

Margaret smiled and nodded. “I’ve also heard a lot about both of you two. I love the way you put Celeste’s birth-parents in their place.”

“That was a pleasure to do,” replied Ally.

“I also appreciate the way you handled Celeste’s situation. Not everyone would have been as understanding.”

Ally just smiled back. She could see how Margaret had worked her way into Celeste’s heart.

“Looks like this is about to start,” noted Carol.

Ally watched as Celeste, dressed in a tailored green suit, walked up to the podium. Just before Celeste began to speak, Ally and Carol saw a familiar face walk past them and sit down next to Margaret. It was the Director.

“Thank you all for showing up today for the dedication of The Shirley Farnsworth Center,” announced Celeste.

Very few in the crowd knew that Shirley Farnsworth was the fem name of Celeste’s deceased husband.

“I’ll keep my words brief. This center was founded to help those who would otherwise fall between the cracks of the system. Teens who are dealing with a struggle over something that most of us take for granted, that is, their gender. Some of them have had to struggle with this since birth, while others have had it inflicted on them by others. All will find a sanctuary here. This Center will allow them to adjust and adapt. While at the same time they will learn they have a future. The center will allow them to continue their education. Our goal is that every teen who passes through here goes on to higher education.”

There was a round of applause.

Celeste smiled. “Thank you. I want to thank everyone who has made this dream a reality. I won’t thank everyone by name, because I’m afraid that I would forget someone. But you know who you are, and you didn’t help because you wanted recognition.”

There was more applause.

“I know that this isn’t an easy concept for some people to embrace. It forces us to question a very basic belief that we’re born into the right gender. It also forces us to see a world we’d just as soon not know exists. Yes, there are some evil people out there, who abuse and mistreat the innocent and weak. This center will be symbol to those who violate others, that those they strived to hold down and abuse will rise up and have full and accomplished lives. Thank you.”

Ally was the first one to stand up and applaud. She was quickly followed by the rest.

“I’d like the person who helped me get this off the ground to come up here to help me cut the ribbon,” announced Celeste. She then motioned for Margaret to come up to the front door.

Margaret got a round of applause as she walked up to the ribbon, and after a pause to let the photographers shoot their photos, she cut the ribbon.

After another round of applause, Celeste spoke again. “Thank you all for showing up today. The reception will be held to your right, just follow the signs. Following lunch, you may take a tour of the facilities.”

As they walked over to the buffet line, Ally noticed Tina and Brenda standing with some other girls. She waved to them and they walked over.

“Good to see you both again,” greeted Ally. She then introduced them to Carol.

“So what was the real reason why you brought that guy William up to talk with us?” asked Tina.

“I wanted him to see why this job is so important. He’s now in charge of one of our regional offices.”

“We’re glad to help,” replied Brenda. “So, have you taken a tour yet?”

“Yes, Celeste gave us a tour yesterday,” replied Ally.

“It’s pretty impressive,” replied Brenda. “We’re leading tours after everyone eats.”

Tina nodded.

“By the way, I love your sign,” added Carol.

Tina smiled. “I would have liked to have a portrait of Margo in the tank, but no one would see it.”

Ally looked around at the reception, but didn’t see the Director. She then noticed that Margaret was also gone. She wondered if they had gone off together, but decided that her imagination was going wild.

After the reception, Ally and Carol said their goodbyes and headed back to the B&B. Carol’s flight wasn’t until ten the next day, but they decided to check out and get a hotel closer to the airport. That way the drive wouldn’t be so long for Ally the following day.

They ended up getting a room at an inn just outside Greenwich.

“This is much nicer than a Howard Johnson’s,” remarked Carol, as they pulled into the parking lot.

“Very nice,” replied Ally.

The inn had been built in 1717. Ally and Carol’s room was nice, but a little overdone in terms of it’s decoration. The bed had a floral pattern quilt on it, with matching sheets. The wallpaper of the room was also a floral pattern.

“It’s a bit poofy,” remarked Ally was they walked in and saw the canopy bed.

Carol laughed. “It’s a little extreme.”

“Did you catch the look the woman gave us when you requested a single bed?” asked Ally.

Carol nodded. “We can’t be the first lesbian couple to stay here.”

“Maybe I should tell her I’m really a guy.”

Carol stared back and started to laugh. “Ally, you weren’t a guy even when I first met you!”

Ally faked as if she was angry and then stopped. “Oh yeah, that’s right!”

Chapter 56

Ally dropped Carol off at JFK and headed back home. She was able to find NPR on the radio and listened to Weekend Edition. Thankfully, she was able to keep getting one NPR station after another all the way down to DC. She was able to catch most of Prairie Home Companion.

Bogie was very pleased to see her when she arrived, so much so she forsook her normal playful attack and just wanted affection. Ally scooped her up and cuddled her.

“Sorry, kid, it’s just us tonight.”

Ally fixed dinner for both of them and waited anxiously for Carol’s call. Ten minutes later, Carol called and let her know that she was in LA.

“We got delayed in Denver,” stated Carol.

“Great airport to be stuck in,” replied Ally.

“Did you have a good drive?”

“No problems, shoulder’s no sorer than after a day at the computer,” replied Ally.

“That’s good to hear. How’s the furry beast?”

“Sleeping in my lap as we speak.”

“I miss both of you,” stated Carol.

“I miss you too,” replied Ally.

“I’ll call every night, when possible.”

“I understand.”

“Good night, Ally. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Chapter 57

Ally arrived at work the next morning and headed to her office. She was surprised to be greeted by Robert Ledyard.

“Good morning, you missed a nice ceremony up in Connecticut,” stated Ally.

Robert nodded. “We need to talk.”

Ally immediately sensed that something was very wrong.

“But not here,” he added.

Ally immediately felt a feeling of dread run through her body.

She followed him into one of the secure rooms. He pulled out a printout of an article from the LA Times website.

She read it and began to tremble. “What happened?”

“We’re still investigating it. Due to the nature of the investigation, we have to be subtle.”

Ally stared at the short article. Sean Thomas Martin, aged twenty-five had been shot and robbed. The article described how two armed Hispanic men had attacked him outside a convenience store. The men were suspected of being local gang members. His condition was described as critical. The police suspected that it was just a robbery gone bad.

“What really happened?” asked Ally.

“We know that Tyler had been outed by security to Loren Gabriel, and that Loren had seemed to have taken a personal interest in him.”

“What about his condition?”

“It doesn’t look good. He was shot several times at close range.”

Ally looked at the article. “Unless things have changed greatly since I moved out here, the area he was in wasn’t a high crime area. It also wasn’t a gang area, too upscale. I think this was a hit.”

“So do I.”

“What are we going to do about this?” asked Ally angrily.

“We’ll handle it. Your participation in this case is over. I wanted to let you know what happened because I know you and Tyler are friends.”

“Robert, that’s just not good enough,” replied Ally as she tried to control her emotions.

“Ally, listen to me, you’re not part of this case.”

Ally stared down at the paper. “Will you let me know how he’s doing?”

Robert nodded.

“Do you think he’ll make it?”

Robert hesitated and then shook his head. “He’s on life support, and unless there’s a miracle I don’t think he’ll survive.”

Ally fought to keep her composure and nodded softly.

Robert reached over and took the article away from her, folded it up and placed it in his coat pocket.

“I didn’t bring you in here just for security reasons. I also figured you’d want some privacy.” He then leaned over and gave Ally a hug. She then burst out in tears as she hung onto him.

Ally cried while at the same time she raged against Loren Gabriel. It was bad enough that he had been able to escape prosecution for so long, but now he had killed a fellow agent. He must pay for this, she thought.

A few moments later she regained her emotions. She fumbled for a tissue, wiped her eyes and blew her nose.

“Thanks,” she replied. “I really appreciate that you told me what happened.”

“No problem, Ally. But I’m serious about you staying out of the investigation into what happened.”

Ally nodded. She was about to face the one of the hardest decisions ever in her career.

Chapter 58

Ally sat at her desk thinking. She thought about Robert’s order and how she truly respected him. She then thought of Tyler, lying in a hospital bed, hanging on to life. Her mind then shifted to how she could nail Loren Gabriel. Before she moved, she knew she needed to see the confidential file on him and the case. For that, she would need help.

Twenty minutes later, she was sitting next to Cathleen, who was one of the Agency’s best computer techs. Cathleen had helped her department several times.

“I need a favor, but before you say yes, I need to let you know that you can refuse and nothing else will be said,” stated Ally.

“I take it you want me to do something underhanded and sneaky?”

Ally nodded. “If you get caught, you could be fired.”

Cathleen laughed. “No offense, Ally, but I can make ten times my salary working in corporate America, probably more. I do this because I think it’s cool.”

Ally smiled. “I need access to the secure file on Loren Gabriel.”

“Does this have something to do with Tyler? I saw the file on his attack.”

Ally hesitated. “I can’t tell you everything, but Loren’s bad and I want to take him down.”

“How bad?”

“He’s a sexual predator for starters.”

“Good enough for me,” replied Cathleen. “Let’s see what we can find.”

She turned around and began to type into her computer. It only took her thirty minutes to access the file.

“Before you get upset and worried about our security, I’m operating inside the security system, and I did design many of the safeguards. If anyone else here had tried this, they would have been detected shortly after they started,” explained Cathleen as she worked. .

“What if someone detects that you’re in here?” asked Ally.

“Yeah right! Stranger things have happened, but if they trace it, they’ll see that it’s coming from my computer. I access secure areas all the time. I’ll just tell them that I’m doing system maintenance.”

Ally nodded.

“Okay, here’s the file. When you’re done, let me know. You just can’t log out, as that will cause some problems.”

Ally smiled and shifted over and began to scroll through the file. First she accessed a section on the attack on Tyler. According to the investigating agent it definitely looked like the attack was a hit, although they couldn’t trace it directly to Loren. They had some evidence, but nothing that would stand up in court. Apparently, Tyler had found out some information on the sex slave trade. He was attempting to deliver it to his Agency contact when he was attacked.

Ally fumed as she read the file. The two suspects in the attack weren’t local gang members; rather, they were associated with a Mexican drug cartel. Both were suspects in several killings on both sides of the border. Their present location was unknown, but it was suspected that they were back in Mexico. The shots were fired at close range, execution style. It was a miracle that Tyler had survived the attack.

Ally then switched to a different file. She wanted to learn more about Loren’s sexual activities. She knew that his sexual tastes were varied, but he seemed to have a preference for pre-op transsexuals. The files listed several sexual partners that he had had in the last few years. That really didn’t surprise Ally, but then she found that he also was suspected of having sex with several teen and pre-teen partners. While some of these sexual encounters occurred overseas, Ally was pleased to see that he did frequent online websites, including several that her teams regularly monitored.

She dug down deep into the files for nearly an hour until she found what she was looking for, the names he used while online. She wrote them down as her mind began to formulate a plan. Loren might be looking for a new sexual partner, and Ally hoped she could provide him with one.

“I found what I need,” stated Ally.

Cathleen wheeled over in her chair. “Okay, so I can log out of here?”

Ally nodded.

“Okay, this will just take a few minutes.”

Ally sat in silence waiting for Cathleen to finish.

“Is there anything else I can do to help?”

Ally hesitated. “Maybe. Did you ever finish that program that notified us when someone entered a chatroom?”

Cathleen nodded. “I just modified a program that many of the rooms already use.”

“How many rooms can you monitor at one time? How many names can you monitor at the same time?”

“More than you’ll ever need,” replied Cathleen with a wink.

“I have seven rooms and eight names.”

Cathleen laughed. “And I thought you were going to give me something hard to do.”

“Now, can you set up a computer in my office with the program?”

“Sure. I take it you don’t want it on you main computer,” stated Cathleen.

Ally nodded.

“Anything else?” asked Cathleen.

“Can you set it up so that if someone traces it, they’ll think it’s in So Cal?”

Cathleen nodded. “Do you mind using a laptop?”

Ally shook her head. “No, that would be better.”

“I can set it up so that you can even use it at home. I have a module that will connect to the computer and it will fool even the most knowledgeable tech.”

“Cool. I owe you.”

Cathleen laughed again. “This is the sort of shit that I signed up for. Oh, do you need a cell phone to go with this?”

“I take it that it’ll trace back to So Cal too?”

Cathleen nodded.

“When can I have them?”

“It’ll take a few days to set up everything and test it.”

Ally nodded. “That’s fine.”

“So Cal is pretty big, do you want to narrow it down?”

“Yes, Orange Heights.”

“That sounds familiar, isn’t that one of those new planned communities south of LA?”

“It’s not that new; it’s also where I once lived. Thanks for all the help, Cathleen.”

“No problem, it’s for a good cause. Good hunting, Ally.”

Chapter 59

Ally opened up a file that contained a biography on a bait teen. She had used it, or a variation on it, several times. The teen was a young boy aged fifteen. He lived in Orange Heights and both his parents worked. He was also the youngest child with two older sisters. His IQ was above average, and he was a loner. His family had recently relocated from another city, and he didn’t have many friends at school. He felt he might be a transsexual, but all he knew was from the websites he had found. He couldn’t tell his parents, as they wouldn’t understand.

Ally began to update and change the basic formula. She would come up with a name later. However, she would have the boy and his family moving from northern Virginia, just outside DC. He had just arrived in Orange Heights and had no friends. Being that school was out, this was one less thing that Ally had to worry about. Normally, for a case like this she would contact the school to have them acknowledge the teen’s enrollment, but this wouldn’t be necessary; with school out, many new students wouldn’t be in the system yet.

She debated on whether or not she could still play a teen. She admitted that she still looked young enough, but she wondered if she looked too feminine to play a boy dressing as a girl.

Ally sat there wondering if she could pull this off by herself, then decided against it. She had to come up with a plausible scenario before she brought in Donna and David. She could afford to leave the other regional offices out of it.

Ally sighed and debated letting the Agency’s other departments go after Loren. But then she realized that they had been after him for over five years and still had nothing. If she could get him on a teen molestation charge, that would open the doors for all kinds for search warrants for Loren’s home and offices, which in turn could lead to other charges.

Eventually, she came up with an idea and called in Donna.

Chapter 60

“I’ve gotten a tip on a possible predator,” explained Ally. “He prefers transgendered teens, especially blondes.”

“What do you have?” asked Donna.

“Not much, just his possible code names and some websites he likes to visit,” replied Ally.

“Do you want us to look for him while we’re in the rooms?”

“That’s too time consuming. Cathleen is setting up a computer that will alert us if he shows up.”

“Really? That would be great.”

“I agree. We’ll test it in our search for him,” stated Ally.

“We’ll start creating a profile for the bait,” replied Donna.

“Not necessary, I already started one,” answered Ally, as she handed Donna a printout from her computer.

Donna scanned it. “This is in Southern California, that’s David’s area.”

“I know, work with him on it,” replied Ally. “For now, don’t do anything should he appear. Just let me know.”

“You’re taking this one, aren’t you?” asked Donna.

Ally nodded. “I won’t play the actual bait in the stakeout, but I want to go after this one myself.”

Donna cocked her head. “Sounds personal. Is there something you’re not telling me?”

Ally nodded. “Sorry, but it’s for your own good.”

“But you know this guy is a predator?”

“Yes, I got a tip.”

“Okay, I’m in.”

Ally smiled. “Thank you.”

“I’ll keep this to myself for now,” stated Donna.

Ally nodded.

“You have more than just an online name, don’t you?”

Ally nodded.

“Is it someone big?”

Ally nodded.

“Cool.”

“Cathleen is going to provide me with the computer; once we make contact, we’ll shift to one of the regular machines and start trolling for him. While I suspect he’ll go for the teen I’ve created, work up a few others, just in case.”

“You’ll need a photo of a teen.”

Ally nodded.

“How ‘bout Joe?”

Ally thought about it, Joe definitely fit the profile. “Ask him, in a vague general way, and see if he’s still willing to dress for a mission.”

“I’m sure he’d love to play a blonde.”

“Let me know how he feels about it, okay?”

Donna nodded.

Chapter 61

Two days later, Cathleen hooked up the computer in Ally’s office.

“It’ll give you an audio notice when any of the names you gave me show in the rooms,” explained Cathleen.

“Cool.”

“All you have to is log in. If he traces it, he’ll find it coming from So Cal.”

“Great, I owe you.”

Cathleen shook her head. “Nah, I like helping you. You give me interesting assignments.”

“Just out of curiosity, can this system be hooked up on all our computers?”

“Sure, that’s not hard.”

“Great, I’ll send you a request,” replied Ally.

Cathleen laughed. “That would be something new, a legitimate request from your department!”

Ally smiled back. “Thanks.”

After Cathleen left, Ally glanced at the clock. It was only ten, so it was unlikely that Loren would be in any chatrooms yet, as it was seven in LA.

Ally opened up the file on the bait teen. His name was Ethan Williams. His fem name was Ellen. Joe had immediately volunteered to be the actual teen, and Ally had several photos of Joe/Ethan dressed as Ellen. Ally had to admit that Joe was pretty cute as a blonde. He was dressed in a very short plaid skirt and white blouse. If Loren checked, he would find that the plaid was one used by several private schools in the DC area. It was something that Ethan might “borrow” from his sisters.

Everything was ready; all they needed was for Loren to cooperate.

Chapter 62

Two weeks passed and there was still no sign of Loren in the chatrooms. Ally was beginning to worry that she might not get him.

There was some good news, as Carol told Ally that her mission to the west coast might be ending sooner than expected.

Then there was William Shaw. His physical was scheduled for that week, and Ally wondered if she was about to lose him. In the months since his visit to Washington, William’s department had made several major arrests. Additionally, they had set up a training program for area police departments. He was also creating a program to allow smaller departments to work together to go after predators. Ally was so pleased with the initial results that she was considering making that a nationwide program.

Ally stopped by Robert’s office.

“Any word on Tyler?” asked Ally.

“He’s still on life support.”

“Any improvement?”

Robert shook his head. “No, in fact he’s getting worse.”

Ally debated asking about the case, but knew that he wouldn’t reply.

“What will happen to him… if he dies? He doesn’t have a family?”

“The Agency will take custody of him.”

“But you’ll have to keep quiet about his death, so that the case isn’t exposed, right?”

Robert nodded.

“It’s not fair, he deserves better.”

“I know, but he knew the risks.”

Ally shook her head slowly. “That doesn’t make this any better.”

Robert nodded.

“Thanks again,” stated Ally, as she walked back to her office. She flopped down in her chair and stared out her door as she fought off her frustration.

She almost jumped out of her seat when the laptop computer’s alarm went off. In a flash, she turned around and stared at the screen.

A message was flashing notifying her that Gabe-1990 was online and in a chatroom frequented by transgendered teens. Quickly, Ally opened up the biography folder for Ethan/Ellen and logged into the chatroom. Ellen was registered in all the rooms, so “her” profile was available for anyone to see.

After the usual rounds of hi and hello, Ally sat back and waited for a nibble. There were only twelve people in the room, and most seemed to be in private talks. As she waited, she opened up a website for a radio station that Ellen would be listening to. She also checked a website for weather conditions for Orange Heights. While she waited, she read a printout of the latest goings on, in terms of concerts and events.
She wasn’t about to let any detail slip though the cracks. Thanks to all the hard work of her agents, they now had a system that rarely screwed up due to lack of information.

Ally wasn’t surprised that Gabe-1990 didn’t have a profile posted, predators rarely did.

Ellen engaged in some casual conversation with another girl in the room. Ally picked up her phone and called Donna.

“Donna, the person I’ve been looking for may be in a room. I’m in there right now, do you have another bait teen available?”

“Yes, you want me to have someone go online and talk to Ellen?”

“Yes, please.”

Often when they wanted to get a bait teen noticed, they would initiate a conversation with another agent. Ally smiled, thinking how she used to do this all by herself. She had once played three teens in the same room at one time.

A short time later, a teenage girl named Tammy came into the room and started talking with Ellen. So far Gabe seemed to be just watching. Ally didn’t see him talk to anyone. While Ellen was portrayed as shy, Tammy was brash and full of self confidence. After a few minutes, Ally called up Donna.

“Have Tammy try to initiate a conversation with Gabe.

Tammy: Hi Gabe.

There was no response.

Tammy: Shy, huh? Hey, you’re safe in here. No one bites.

Debbie: Speak for yourself Tammy!

This was greeted by a chorus of LOL.

Still, there was no response from Gabe.

After a half hour, Ally decided to pull out.

Ellen: Well, I gotta go. Take care everyone.

Debbie: See you Ellen. Hope to see you back.

Ellen: I’ll be back tonight.

Ally then logged off. Donna would keep Tammy online for another twenty minutes or so before logging out, so that there wouldn’t appear to be any connection. She then got an audio alert that Gabe had also left.

Okay, she thought, Gabe didn’t seem overly talkative. It could have been a totally different person and maybe an actual teen, but Ally doubted that. She had a feeling that she had finally made contact with Loren Gabriel.

Donna walked into Ally’s office right after Tammy logged off.

“Gabe left right after you did.”

“I know,” replied Ally, as she pointed to the computer.

“Cool. Are we getting that program on our computers?”

Ally nodded. “Cathleen is working on it.”

Donna nodded. “Does that laptop save the conversations?”

All the computers used by Ally’s department recorded the conversations.

“Yes. Unfortunately, because of that program, there’s not much else I can do with it.”

“You know that you’ll have to start showing up in that room regularly,” stated Donna.

Ally nodded. “Not a problem. With Carol out of town, I have lots of free time.”

“Ed’s taking me on vacation to a spa in New Mexico!”

“That sounds nice. Who will run your department while you’re away?”

“Joe. Don’t worry, we’ll be back before Carol and your ceremony.”

“Thanks.”

“You know, I’ve got a feeling about this one.”

“I do too,” replied Ally.

Chapter 63

Ally spent that evening in the chatroom, but there was no Gabe. She wasn’t discouraged and decided to keep coming back with the hope that he would show up again.

Two days later, Ally called up the names of the people in the chatroom. She then noticed that a girl named Laura Green had arrived in the chatroom right after she entered as Ellen. Ally went back and found that this had happened several times. It couldn’t be just chance, thought Ally. The initials were also the same as Loren’s.

She had talked with Laura a few times. She told Laura how she was new to California and was lonely. As Ally re-read the chat log, she noticed that Laura got a little more info out of her each time. Ally felt a rush of excitement, as she realized that Loren might be hunting her.

Donna stopped by and noticed what Ally was doing.

“What’s up?” asked Donna.

“The game’s afoot!”

“You got something?” asked Donna excitedly.

Ally nodded. She then showed Donna the conversations between Laura and Ellen.

“I agree, this can’t just be chance,” replied Donna. “So what’s next?”

“He’s sly. I suspect that he’ll make contact with me soon and start asking me about myself. He’ll compare information to see if there’s a discrepancy. Then he’ll start to reel me in.”

“Have you told David about this yet?”

“No, but I will as soon as Gabe makes contact.”

“Does Laura have a bio posted in the room?”

Ally shook her head.

“I’m leaving Joe off any long term cases right now, so he can head out to So Cal at a moment’s notice with you,” stated Donna.

“Good. I don’t suspect that this will be going down immediately.”

“I agree.”

“Things are looking up,” noted Ally.

It was then that her phone rang. It was Robert and he wanted to see her immediately.

Chapter 64

Ally felt a feeling of dread as she walked into Robert’s office. Her worst fears were confirmed when he asked her to sit down.

“I’m sorry, Ally, Tyler died early this morning,” stated Robert, as he stood next to her.

Ally began to tremble slightly and began to shake her head slowly. “It’s not fair,” she mumbled.

“I know.”

Ally reached up and wiped away a tear. “Dammit, he deserved better than this.”

Robert put his hand on Ally’s shoulder. She looked up and bit her lower lip.

“It’s okay to cry,” he stated in a soft, comforting tone.

Ally nodded and looked up at her boss. “Thanks. I’ll be okay.”

“You sure?”

Ally nodded and pulled out a tissue from her purse. “Tell me that we’re going after Loren.”

“There are plans for operations. I can’t tell you more than that.”

“What can I do?”

“Nothing.”

Ally blew her nose. “There must be something.”

Robert shook his head.

Ally debated telling Robert that she might have made contact with Loren, but decided not to.

“Thank you for telling me about Tyler,” she stated.

As she walked back to her office, she was more determined than ever to nail Loren Gabriel.

Chapter 65

Ally arrived home and, after a long run, she showered, played with Bogie, and made herself dinner, which involved nuking up some leftovers.

She sat on the couch with Bogie asleep next to her, watching the evening news. The laptop was hooked up and sitting next to her. She planned on going into the chatroom as soon as she finished dinner.

She had a quick call from Carol, who was now in El Centro, California. Ally sent her condolences.

“It’s not that bad,” replied Carol.

“Liar. It’s hot, dusty, and in the middle of nowhere; you forget, I used to live in California,” replied Ally.

Carol laughed. “You’re right, it’s pretty bad. Unfortunately, they don’t set up meth labs in La Jolla.”

They talked for twenty more minutes, until Carol had to leave for a stakeout.

After dinner, Ally logged into the chatroom and was pleased to see Laura arrive shortly after she did. Bogie was fast asleep in her lap, next to the computer. Ally wondered if Gabe would also show up. Laura IMed Ellen and Ally smiled, as she sensed that she was on the right track.

Laura: Hi Ellen, how’re you?

Ellen: Doing okay, what about you?

Laura: Okay. So how long have you been dressing?

Ellen: I started when I was eleven. I had always thought about it. I dressed in my sister’s stuff. I have two sisters, both older than me, and also bigger.

Laura: That’s convenient! LOL

Ellen: I know.

They talked for nearly an hour. Ally noticed how Laura was slowly getting more and more information about Ellen. Every time Ellen tried to talk about something else, Laura would skillfully switch the conversation back to gaining more insight from Ellen. At least Ellen learned that Laura claimed to live in LA and was sixteen. She said that she was transsexual and planned on coming out as soon as she turned eighteen.

Laura commented on how pretty she thought Ellen looked; in fact, she went a step further and mentioned how sexy Ellen looked.

“Keep it up, Loren,” stated Ally aloud.

Gabe never showed up, but by the time she logged off, Ally was pretty confident that Laura wasn’t what she was portraying. Only time would tell.

She then remembered something from the original files that she had read on Loren. He had a twin that had died shortly after birth. She concentrated until she brought up what she had read several months ago. To confirm it, she went online and found the website for Loren’s company. His official biography confirmed Ally’s memory. His dead fraternal twin was a girl, who had been named Laura, and his mother’s maiden name was Green!

“Gotcha!” she exclaimed.

Bogie woke up with an annoyed look on her face and then fell back to sleep.

Before she went to bed, Ally pulled out her address book and called up an old friend.

“Hello?” asked the gruff voice.

“Chief Stone, this is Ally,” she greeted.

“Ally? Ally Burns? Well, this is a surprise! How’s life with the Feds?” asked her old police chief.

“I’m doing well, thanks. I’m now in charge of four offices,” she answered.

“Yes, I’ve heard. I’ve very proud of all you’ve accomplished,” he stated.

“Chief, I need your help,” stated Ally.

“With what?” he asked.

“I’m working on a case, and I’d like to set up the arrest in Orange Heights.”

“What do you need?”

“Assistance with the stakeout. We have an agent picked out for the stakeout, but I’d like this to be a local arrest.”

Ally’s plan was that once Loren was arrested by the local police, the Agency could step in and use his arrest as a foot in the door to gain access to his office and home. With any luck, they would nail him for more than sexually propositioning a minor. They might even get blessed and tie him to Tyler’s murder.

“I see. I assume you have a reason for having us make the arrest, besides loyalty towards your old department,” stated the Chief.

“Yes. The predator may be a bigwig. By having you arrest him, we can keep it low key.”

“And I assume there’s more to this than what you’re telling me,” he stated.

“Yes, but I can’t tell you more.”

“Damn, Ally, you’re even thinking like a Fed!

Ally laughed. “Just so you know, if everything goes as planned, this will a very large arrest.”

“I’ll keep this between you and me for now. When you’re ready, come on out. The Op Center hasn’t been the same since you left.”

Ally laughed again. “I’m glad that you’ve kept it going.”

“We have a real hotshot running it now. Her name is Elaine Kim. We hired her after you left; she’s good, almost as good as you.”

“Really?”

“Don’t even think of trying to steal her!”

“I wouldn’t do that,” replied Ally.

“Bullshit. That’s what the agent who came to check you out said, by the way, you two still an item?”

“Yes, very much so, we even have a cat now.”

Chief Stone laughed.

“I’ll call you when we get closer to the stakeout.”

“Sounds good. It was great hearing from you, Ally,” he stated.

“Thanks, I’ve missed the sound of your voice too,” she replied as she hung up.

Chapter 66

The next afternoon Ally logged into the chatroom as Ellen; within five minutes Laura showed up.

Donna was standing behind Ally. “Wow, just like you said it would happen.”

“I know,” replied Ally. “I’m beginning to think that we won’t see Gabe in here, just Laura.”

“Do you mean that he’s transgendered too?”

“Maybe. We’ll see how it plays out,” continued Ally.

“I wonder how she always knows when Ellen shows up.” asked Donna.

“Maybe he has a similar program to the one Cathleen created. This chatroom doesn’t have automatic notification when buddies show up,” answered Ally.

Donna glanced at the clock in Ally’s office. “I gotta run; let me know how it works out.”

Ally nodded and turned her full attention to portraying Ellen, who Laura had just IMed.

Laura: Wow, what a surprise! I was hoping to see you today.

Ellen: Me too.

They talked for a few minutes, until Laura began to shift the direction of the conversation.

Laura: Tell me about the first time you went out in public.

Ellen: Why? It wasn’t that exciting.

Laura: I just want to hear about it. Tell me everything.

Ally smiled, Loren was slick, she thought.

Ellen: Okay. I first went out in public dressed six months ago.

Laura: What allowed you to do this?

Ellen: My parents were out of town for the weekend, and my sisters were both out with their boyfriends. I knew I’d have the house to myself.

Laura: Go on.

Ellen: I just planned on dressing. I went into one of my sisters’ bedrooms and picked out some clothes. I picked out a bra, panties, tights, blouse, skirt and shoes. I also grabbed a wig she had used in a Halloween costume the previous year.

Laura: What kind of wig?

Ellen: It was blonde and curly.

Laura: Is that the one you’re wearing in your photos?”

Ellen: Yes.

Laura: You look hot as a blonde.

Ellen: Thanks.

Ally smiled, Loren was really into blondes.

Laura: What did you use for filler in your bra?

Ellen: Socks.

Laura: I’ve used socks myself. I used water balloons once, but was afraid of them breaking.

Ellen: LOL

Laura: So once you got dressed, did you use makeup?

Ellen: Yes. I used some of my sister’s stuff. I’ve been using it for a couple of years, so I’m pretty good.

Laura: You could use some more eyeliner.

Ellen: Thanks! I’ll remember that next time. So, I looked at myself, fully dressed, and I got a wild idea that I would actually go out.

Laura: It is an intoxicating sensation, isn’t it?

Ally stopped, this was obviously a test comment; Laura was trying to see if Ellen was as young and innocent as she claimed, and she decided to pick her words carefully.

Ellen: What do you mean? I’ve never gotten drunk.

Laura: Poor girl, I’ll have to help you with that some time. What I meant was that you felt suddenly carefree and very happy.

Ellen: Yes, but also very scared. I was so worried about what would happen if someone saw me. So, I waited until it got dark. I put on my one of sister’s coats, hat, and gloves. I also took one of her bags.

Laura: Hat, gloves, and coat?

Another test, thought Ally, checking my story.

Ellen: Yes, until here, it gets cold back in Virginia!

Laura: Oh, yes, I forgot.

Ellen: It took me nearly thirty minutes to get the nerve to walk outside.

Laura: Where did you go?

Ellen: We lived in Arlington, so I walked towards the downtown area, but I got cold feet and chickened out.

Laura: I know what you mean. When I plan to go out, I often set great goals and then back off.

Ellen: Exactly!

Laura: Any trouble getting home?

Ellen: No. I was a little worried, thinking what would happen if one of my sisters came home, but thankfully the house was empty. I got inside and could feel my heart beating through my chest from the sheer excitement of it all! I know it’s not exactly an exciting story.

Laura: No, it was exactly what I was hoping for. Having gone through the same sort of thing, I know that I can trust you.

Ellen: Thank you.

Laura: So, do you like boys or girls?

Ally paused with her answer, to make it look like she was thinking about her answer.

Ellen: I’m sort of attracted to both.

Laura: Me too. Have you ever thought what it would be like to be with a girl, like yourself?

Ellen: Maybe.

Laura: Come on, maybe isn’t an answer.

Ellen: Okay, I’ve thought about it.

Laura: And?

Ellen: I’ve never talked about this before, but I’d like to try it.

Laura: So you’d like to be kissed by a girl like me?

Ellen: Yes

Laura: Would you like me to play with your nipples?

Ellen: Yes, even though they’re small.

Laura: There are pills that will make them big; you should start taking them. I do, and it’s wonderful having titties.

Ellen: Doesn’t anyone notice?

Laura: They’re small, but the pills make my nipples very sensitive, I love playing with them.

Ellen: Wow.

Laura: I’ll send you the website where you can order them.

Ellen: Cool, I’d like that.

Laura: So, are you still a virgin?

Ellen: Yes. I have kissed a girl.

Laura: Have you been kissed by a boy yet?

Ellen: No.

Laura: Have you thought about kissing a boy? It’s okay, I’ve kissed boys.

Ellen: Yes, I’ve thought about it.

Laura: Have you thought about having a cock in you? Say in your mouth?

Ellen: Yes

Laura: I’d like to have you suck my cock. Would you like that, to have my girl cock in your mouth?

Ellen: I think so, yes, yes I’d like that.

Laura: I thought so, you look like such a little slut in that skirt and blouse. I mean that in a good sense.

Ellen: Thanks! Have you sucked one?

Laura: LOL, oh, Ellen, you’re rich! Yes, I’ve sucked cock.

Ellen: Sorry, but I’m still new to all this.

Laura: That’s right; you’re just fifteen, so sweet and innocent, just waiting to be picked.

Ellen: Are you making fun of me?

Laura: No, I want to help you. Do you trust me?

Ellen: Yes.

Laura: You need a big sister who can help you become the girl you need to be. Let me be that sister.

Ellen: I’d like that.

Laura: It must so hard for you to live with the truth and afraid that you’ll be found.

Ellen: Yes, it is. I feel so alone.

Laura: Afraid that others will find out

Ellen: Yes.

Laura: You want help don’t you?

Ellen: Yes, very much, I’m so tired of being alone.

Laura: You want to be a girl.

Ellen: Yes

Laura: You want to be my girl, right?

Ellen: Yes.

Laura: Okay, then we should get together.

Ally smiled. Bingo!

Ellen: Really? You really want to meet me?

Laura: Of course, silly! But I want to meet Ellen.

Ellen: Oh.

Laura: Don’t be afraid. You’ve gone out before and you look real fem; it shouldn’t be a problem. You want to meet me, don’t you?

Ellen: Yes, yes I do.

Laura: So, it’s a small price to pay to meet me. Yes, you’ll be nervous at first, but the farther you get away from your house, the safer you’ll be. Now you’ve told me that you’re new in town and don’t have any new friends, so it should be very safe for you.

Ellen: That makes sense.

Ally had to admit that Laura was pretty smooth and had sucked Ellen in with the expertise of someone who had done this before.

Laura: When do you think that you’ll have a chance to dress and go out?

Ally paused and thought about how long it would take to get a stakeout together. It was presently Tuesday, and they couldn’t be in place until at least Thursday.

Ellen: Maybe Thursday.

Laura: How about Friday?

Ellen: Okay.

Laura: I’ll come down to meet you. Is there a public place in your town that you feel safe going out dressed?

Ally thought about it. There was the park, which was where she had been bait when she met Carol. It was the best place.

Ellen: There’s the city park. I’ve ridden my bike through it a few times. It’s never crowded in the morning.

Laura: That sounds good. Tell me more.

Ally described the spot where she had held the previous stakeout. It had a park bench close to the road, but far away from the main traffic area of the park.

Laura: How will you get there? Don’t ride your bike, I don’t want you sweaty, not until I get you alone! LOL.

Ellen: I could take the bus.

Laura: Good idea, you’ll definitely pass, so that wouldn’t be a problem.

Ellen: I’m really looking forward to meeting you.

Laura: Do you have a cell phone?

Ellen: Yes.

Laura: Here’s my number, call me when you’re there. I won’t even ask for your number, just to show how much I trust you.

Ellen: Thanks. What time do you want to meet?

Laura: Ten?

Ally hesitated in answering. Then she had Ellen respond.

Ellen: Ten is great.

Laura: Good, see you Friday at ten. Tell me that you want to be my sister

Ellen: I do want to be your sister.

Laura: I’ll turn you into the girl you were meant to be, you want that don’t you? You’re a girl and it’s silly for you to pretend to be a boy, right?

Ellen: You’re right.

Laura: That’s right, and I’ll guide you into becoming the woman you’re destined to become. Now, I have things I have to do. I’ll see you Friday. I love you Ellen, and I can’t wait to meet you.

Ellen: I love you too, Laura.

Laura: Make yourself as feminine as possible, my sweet. Dress sexy and pretty for me.

Ellen: I will

Laura: Be my little slutty girlfriend.

Ellen: I will, I love you.

Laura: Good bye, my sweet.

Ally logged off and immediately called Donna and told her to contact Joe and have him in her office first thing in the morning with his bags packed. She then called David in Seattle.

“Ally, good to hear from you, although it is sort of late, what’s up?” asked David.

“I just wanted to let you know that we’ll be running a sting in your neck of the woods. I can’t explain all the reasons, but it’s a case that I had to handle myself.”

“You don’t need to ask my permission, Ally. Hell, we’re pretty busy right now.”

“I’ll be bringing in Joe with me. I’m calling the Chief of Police for Orange Heights next, he already knows something is up,” continued Ally.

“It’s cool, like you’ve always said, we’re all one department,” replied David.

“Thank you,” replied Ally. “Do you want in on this?”

“Okay, it’ll be fun to work with you again. I can have a team down there tomorrow afternoon. If the police are going to make the arrest, then all I’ll need is an audio-video tech to record everything. I assume you have the computer conversations.”

“Yes, I’ll show them to you as soon as we meet up.”

“Where will you be staying?”

“There’s a suite hotel in town that will serve our needs perfectly. I know the owner, and I’ll call and make the reservations. I’ll e-mail you the details,” replied Ally.

“Great. Can’t wait to hear the details of this one.”

Hopefully this won’t be my last case, she thought. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Ally then called and made her reservations for the flight and hotel rooms. Next she called her neighbor and asked her to watch Bogie.

Ally then had two more calls to make. The first was to Carol. All she got was her answering service, but Ally had expected that.

“Carol, I’ve got a lead on a big one, I’ll be out in Orange Heights tomorrow, maybe one or two days. Will try you later.”

Next she called Robert.

“Robert, I’m heading out to LA tomorrow morning; we’ve got a live one and I want to supervise it myself,” she explained. “I should be back late Friday.”

“Who are you taking with you?”

“Just Joe, David is flying down to meet me there. The rest will be provided by my old department in Orange Heights.”

“Okay, have fun, but be safe.”

Ally almost laughed, as this was the closest he ever came to telling a joke.

She then went upstairs and packed a small carryon case. She wouldn’t need much, she thought.

Ally then placed a call to Ty, the federal prosecutor.

“This is a pleasant surprise,” he stated.

“Thanks, but I can’t talk long. Just wanted to tell you to stand by, I may have a really big fish for you in the next day or so.”

“That’s it?”

“Yep, gotta run.”

“Okay, I’ll be waiting.”

Ally hung up the phone. She poured herself a glass of wine and though about what she was doing. The investigation was perfectly legal and well within the bounds of her jurisdiction. True, she had ignored Robert’s orders to stay out of the case with Tyler, which technically she was doing. This was a totally new case. She drank some more wine. Granted, she had broken into a secure file to gain access to some secret information, but she had been the one who uncovered Loren’s secret identity through her own investigation.

The actual case against Loren/Laura was exactly by the book, yet Ally still felt troubled. This case had been started over revenge. In some ways she was no different than Angel, she thought. Angel troubled Ally, even though she had gotten help from this mystery person. Angel was a vigilante, and that bothered Ally. Not because Angel took the law into her own hands, but that there were times Ally wished she could do the same thing. Angel had offered to take out Margo, and for a split second Ally thought about it. What harm would there be if Margo was killed? Ally shook her head to clear away those thoughts. No, I work with the law. I could easily take out Margo or Loren, but that would make me as bad as them, she thought. No, thought Ally, I work with the law. I can’t be anything else.

Just then the phone rang, it was Carol.

“Got your message, you sound worried,” greeted Carol.

Ally let out a long sigh. “I need to tell you something; I can’t tell you all the details, but I sort of launched an operation out of revenge. Oh, the suspect is dirty and we’re not framing him, but I’m only doing this because of something he did to someone I know. Does that make sense?”

Carol was silent. “No, but I get the gist of it. I take it you might have violated an order or two.”

“Something like that,” replied Ally.

“I wish you’d told me this sooner.”

“Me too.”

“Well, I love you anyway. Are you prepared for the consequences?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.”

Ally sighed. “I’m sorry, but I had to do something.”

“I understand, Ally. I think we’ve all bent a few rules along the way, and ignored a command or two.”

“I’ll be in So Cal tomorrow. I’ll call you then. Thanks for listening to me. I love you.”

Chapter 67

On the flight to LA, Ally briefed Joe on the case. It was a very early flight, and they had the first-class area to themselves.

“So, you think that Laura is really a guy?”

Ally nodded. “I’m positive.”

Joe opened up the computer and began to scroll through the conversations between Laura and Ellen. He went through them three times.

“You played her as well as she was playing you,” he commented. “Okay, I’ve got the feel for Ellen, and feel I can play her.”

“Good, because that’s exactly what you’re going to do tomorrow morning. When we get to our hotel, I want you to log on as Ellen, and we’ll see how soon Laura shows up. Don’t worry; I’ll guide you through her at first.”

Joe nodded. He pulled out the bio-sheet that Ally had used and began to study it.

“When will we go over the procedures for the stakeout?” he asked.

“As soon as David shows up. The police have been briefed and they agree with the location for the operation. It’s a great location, as the surveillance vehicle will only be fifty yards away. They’ll have a clear shot at you for the video. The last time I used this place, they had several officers in the area in plainclothes. They’ll fit in perfectly.”

“When did you use this area before?”

Ally told Joe about the stakeout that had led to her being hired by the Agency.

“Wow, so this is where it all started!”

Ally smiled. “You could say that.”

“By the way, thanks for assigning me to this case,” commented Joe.

“No problem, you’re a good agent,” replied Ally.

“Still, considering my present health situation, it would be easy to keep me off cases like this.”

“Joe, don’t worry about your job.”

He nodded.

“So how’re you doing?”

“Okay. I don’t like the idea of keeping this a secret, but I understand the reasons why. I overheard someone talking in the lunch room, and they made a comment about kicking anyone out of the agency who was HIV positive.”

“Have you told anyone in your family?”

He shook his head. “No, I don’t see a need right now. I’m pretty healthy, all things considered. It’s not like I’m worried that they would reject me, I just don’t want them to worry about me.”

“Do you plan on telling them?”

“Maybe, someday… along with other things,” he replied with a wink.

Ally nodded back.

They arrived at LAX and were met by David and another agent whose name was Maria Sanchez.

“Maria is our top electronics tech,” explained David as they headed to the rental car.

On the way to Orange Heights, Ally briefed them on the mission.

“Sounds pretty straightforward. So, who’s the mark?” asked David.

“I’m pretty sure it’s Loren Gabriel,” replied Ally.

“No shit!” Good, he’s a real jackass,” replied David. “I lost a bundle when his Internet stock bombed. The dick knew it was going to tank, and he walked away a millionaire.”

Ally laughed. “I’m hoping that this will allow us to uncover all kinds of dirt on him, but that’s just between you and me for now.”

“I take it there’s more to this that you’re telling me,” replied David.

Ally nodded.

“Just as long as we nail him,” continued David.

“We will,” replied Ally.

“How much did you lose?” asked Maria.

“Two grand,” replied David with a shrug of his shoulders.

They drove right to the Orange Heights PD station. It was hot outside, but there was no humidity, a nice change of pace from sweltering DC.

As Ally approached, she was hit with a strong wave of nostalgia. She glanced over at where she used to park her old Honda. This was where she’d learned to be a cop, and she couldn’t help but smile.

They walked inside and the first person they ran into was a detective that Ally had worked with as Al. He was also one of the first men in the department to stand up in support of Ally after she’d come out. He walked by the federal agents and then stopped and did a double take.

“Ally?” he asked.

“Hi George, how’ve you been?” she asked.

“Good, thanks. How’s the shoulder?” he replied.

Ally reached up and rubbed it. “Not too bad today.”

George nodded. “We heard about how you were wounded.”

“I appreciated the flowers the department sent,” replied Ally, “also the bottle of wine.”

“I take it you’re not here for a reunion; you looking for the chief?”

Ally nodded.

“Sergeant, these agents need to be checked in,” he stated to the officer behind the desk. “Ally, I’ll let the chief know you’re here. Really good to see you again.”

David leaned over and whispered. “Impressive, are they all that accommodating here?”

“For the most part, yes. Although, looking around I see a lot of new faces.”

Ten minutes later they were sitting in Chief Stone’s office. Ally introduced the other agents to him.

“Well, as much as I hated to lose you, you’ve sure done well,” stated Chief Stone.

Ally smiled back nervously. Chief Stone was one of the small group of people that Ally felt an passionate sense of loyalty to. Hearing praise from him was like getting it from her father. She was also slightly surprised at how much older he looked. His hair was now totally gray.

Ally then explained the case in detail, leaving out only the knowledge of how bad Loren was.

“This will cause a stink if it is him. We have one of his offices here in town, and he contributes a lot to the local charities. Are you sure it’s him?” asked Chief Stone.

“I have a strong feeling,” she replied.

“Oh, I know what that means. Okay, we’ll get everyone together and hold the initial brief,” replied the Chief.

Twenty minutes later the agents and the police were sitting together in the briefing room. Ally recognized most of the officers, although there were a few new faces. Chief Stone laid out the stakeout and location for each officer. The surveillance vehicle was already staged in the park.

“It’ll fit in with the other RVs that are parked along the road there. Presently, they can park there for forty-eight hours without us being able to ticket them. If they move just one hundred yards, then they get another two days. There are RVs that have been in the park for six months,” complained one of the officers, a young Hispanic man, who Ally didn’t recognize.

Ally nodded.

“City Council is in the process of changing the law, Lopez. It’s a pain, but today it’ll help us,” interjected Chief Stone. “Agent Burns will now explain the operation.”

Ally nodded and began to explain why they were out there.

“So Joe is going to be the bait?” asked George, as she glanced over at him, as if he was trying to imagine the young agent dressed as a girl. “What will be the key word to let us know when to move in?”

“Okay, let’s go.” replied Ally. “I’ll confirm that and tell you to move in. I know you all know the importance of closing in on the suspect as soon as possible, and getting Joe away from him. The suspect is an expert in martial arts, so don’t let your guard down.”

“Who is the suspect?” asked Officer Lopez.

“Sorry, can’t disclose that,” replied Ally. “We have a strong idea who it is, but we won’t know for sure until tomorrow.”

“Okay, we’ll meet here tomorrow at seven. Everyone needs to be in costume and ready to go,” announced the Chief.

Ally and her agents hung around afterwards with the Chief.

“Very impressive plan,” noted David. “Sounds like you’ll have Joe surrounded when you make the actual arrest.”

“We try,” replied the Chief, with a grin. “Unfortunately, we’ve been getting a lot of practice, dealing mainly with drug stings. We’ve had some issues with meth on the west side.”

“I’d like to check out the equipment in your RV,” requested Maria.

“I’ll have one of my detectives drop you off. He’ll then give you a lift out to your hotel,” replied the Chief. “Anything else?”

“If it’s not much trouble, I’d like to see the Op Center,” asked David. “After all, it’s where it all began for us.”

“Sure, I’m sure Elaine will be happy to meet you. Just remember your promise, Ally,” stated the Chief.

Chapter 68

Elaine Kim was twenty-five and, like Ally, had graduated college at a young age. She was third generation Korean-American, and had been only twenty when she got her diploma from UCLA; also like Ally, she was drawn to law enforcement.

Physically Elaine wasn’t much, she was short and thin, but was in great physical shape. She participated in triathlons, and her goal was to one day enter the Ironman in Hawaii.

Elaine had taken over the department that Ally started six months after Ally left. She’d instantly found she had a knack for it. She had also expanded the operation to include Internet fraud.

Ally, David, and Joe stood outside the secure door of the Op Center. Ally pressed the door bell and they waited for the door to open.

Joe noticed a small brass plaque mounted on the wall. “Hey, they really did name this place after you, Ally.”

“I was hoping you wouldn’t see that,” she replied, fighting back embarrassment.

“I think it’s pretty cool,” replied David. “I hope they name the Seattle center after me!”

Ally flashed him a dirty look.

“I thought you were kidding about this being a vault,” noted Joe.

Ally shook her head. “Nope, it’s a real secure vault. It was used by the military for secure communications, that’s why I wanted it.”

“And it’s pretty cool to have to use an electronic code to get in,” added David, as he nudged Ally.

Ally smiled back. “Yeah, that too!”

The door opened and a petite Asian woman greeted them. “I’m Elaine, welcome back, Ally.”

Ally immediately felt a kinship with Elaine and led her agents inside the space that had been her private domain. She introduced her agents to Elaine once they got inside.

“Does it look different?” asked Elaine.

Ally shook her head. “No, in some ways, it’s like I never left. You even have the same old couch.”

Elaine laughed. “That couch is so comfortable. I’ve slept on it many nights.”

“I’ve heard you also go after Internet scammers,” stated Ally.

Elaine nodded. “It’s not that different from going after sexual predators. In some ways it’s even easier, as they’re so greedy they rarely suspect that someone is hunting them. The main difference is that I have to play the elderly.”

“I was hoping you’d be in on the stakeout tomorrow,” commented Ally, as she looked around her old center.

“Me too, but I’ve been busy with a case. I’d like to watch it, if that’s still possible,” replied Elaine.

“I think we can arrange that. Be here tomorrow morning at seven, you can observe it with me in the command center,” answered Ally.

“I’d like that,” she replied.

“Ally, I think we’d better make contact with Laura,” interrupted Joe, pointing to his watch.

“Good point, Joe. Well, we’ll see you tomorrow, Elaine,” stated Ally.

“Laura? Is that the name of the predator?” asked Elaine.

Ally nodded.

“Laura Green?”

Ally stared back. “How do you know that?”

“I’ve seen her in the rooms, she’s creepy and I’ve had my suspicions about her for awhile. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but she’s not what she appears,” replied Elaine. “I know she’s no teen.”

“Do you mind if we hook up our computer here?” asked Ally.

Elaine shook her head. “Mind? I’d be honored!”

Joe unpacked the laptop that he had been carrying and hooked it up. He logged into the chatroom as Ellen.

“I suspect that Laura will be in the room in less than five minutes,” noted Ally, as they stood around Joe.

Four minutes later, Laura entered the room.

Elaine turned to Ally. “That’s a neat trick.”

“She’s sure predictable,” replied Ally.

Laura: Ellen! Hugs.

Ellen: Good to see you, Laura. Hugs.

Laura: Where were you? I was hoping to talk to you this morning?

Joe turned to Ally. She glanced at the clock, it was almost seven in the evening.

“Tell her that your family spent the day touring UCLA, tell her that’s where one of your sisters in going this fall,” answered Ally.

Elaine agreed. “That would take most of the day.

“Oh, add that your sister will be spending a few days up there, that’ll give you easier access to her things,” added Ally.

Ellen: We had to take my sister up to tour her college. We just got home a little while ago.

Laura: Which school?

Ellen: UCLA.

Laura: Okay, I was worried that you had gotten cold feet.

Ellen: No, I can’t wait to see you tomorrow!

Laura: I can’t wait until I see you tomorrow at nine.

“We agreed on ten earlier,” interjected Ally.

Joe nodded. ‘I caught that myself.”

Ellen: I thought we were meeting at ten?

Laura: Oh yes, that’s right. Sorry. But can you get there earlier?

Joe glanced over at Ally.

“Tell her it will be difficult, as your mom doesn’t leave the house until eight, which will make dressing more difficult,” explained Ally.

Ellen: I don’t know. I don’t have the house to myself until after eight.

Laura: Oh, yes, that makes sense. But ten is still okay?

Ellen: Yes. I have the clothes hidden in my room. I’ll need to sneak into my sister’s room to get the makeup and wig tonight, as she staying at the college for the next few days.

Laura: Cool, so how are you getting to the park?

“Tell her that you’re taking the bus, there are three bus lines that drop off near the meeting point,” stated Ally.

“Four now,” corrected Elaine with a smile.

Ally smiled back. “Town’s growing, that’s even better.”

Ellen: I’m taking the bus. I’ll be there by ten.

Laura: Cool. So what are you wearing? I want you looking pretty and sexy for me.

Joe smiled and began to describe the outfit that he would be wearing tomorrow.

Ellen: I’ll be wearing a short denim skirt, a pink top, and sandals.

Laura: What color panties and bra?

Ellen: Pink.

Laura: Oh, that gets me hot.

Ellen: I’ll call you as soon as I get there.

Laura: Can you call me now?

Ally shook her head.

Ellen: I can’t, my parents are home and they don’t like me using my cell phone when I’m in the house. I hate being fifteen. They treat me like a baby.

Elaine nodded. “Nice. I like the way you slipped that in.

“We try to get it in most sessions, that way the predator can’t claim that they didn’t know the bait was underaged,” added Ally.

Laura: Parents can be a drag. Do they have any idea that you’re really a girl?

Ellen: No, I doubt it; they’re more interested in my older sisters anyway.

Laura: It’s so hard isn’t it?

Ellen: Yes. Does you family know?”

Laura: Yes, they’re not happy about it. You need to be with someone who appreciates you for who you are.

Ellen: I know.

Laura: You need someone to help you grow and bloom into a beautiful woman.

Joe paused and delayed his answer.

Laura: You still there?

Ellen: Yes. I’m just dealing with a rush of emotions. I’m so tired of fighting these feelings. I’m never going to be the person they want me to be!

Laura: Then don’t try to be.

Ellen: That’s easy to say.

Laura: You need a guide and a friend. I want to be both.

Ellen: Really? I really could use a friend.

Laura: Yes Sweetie! A friend and so much more.

Elaine turned to Ally. “Damn, Laura’s good, but Joe is also pretty good.”

Ally nodded. “Joe, try to ease out of the room now. Tell her that you can’t wait to see her.”

“Gotcha,” he replied.

Ellen: Damn, my parents are calling for me. They like to have dinner together once a week so we can pretend that we’re a family.

Laura: LOL. Okay, I’ll still see you tomorrow.

Ellen: I can’t wait!

Laura: See you tomorrow, Sweetie.

Ellen: I love you.

Joe logged out.

Ally, David, and Elaine all applauded. Joe stood up and bowed.

“Oh, I can see why you’re going after Laura, she or he, is definitely warped,” remarked Elaine.

“Yes, I agree,” added David.

“Well, we’d better check into our hotel and grab some dinner; we still have a lot of work to do before tomorrow. You want to join us, Elaine?” asked Ally.

“What’re you having for dinner?” asked Elaine.

“If I remember right, there’s a great Mexican place near the hotel, and they deliver. It would a shame to come all the way out here and not have some good Mexican food.”

“You treating?” asked Joe.

Ally nodded.

Elaine laughed. “I’m in.”

Chapter 69

After dinner they finalized their plans. Joe would arrive at Ally’s room at six to get dressed and to have Ally help him with his makeup. She would then drive him to the station. Maria would arrive at the RV at 6:30 to do final checks on the equipment. David would meet Ally and Joe/Ellen at the station.

After the others left, Ally waited until Carol called her.

“How’re you doing?” asked Carol.

“Okay. It’s too late to turn back now. I’ve played it over and over in my mind, and I would do the exact same thing again, if I had the chance,” replied Ally.

“I’d be surprised to hear something different”

“I wish you were here.”

“Me too,” replied Carol.

“I’ll call you tomorrow after this is all over. I love you.”

Chapter 70

Joe was dressed in the skirt and pink top and sitting in front of Ally as she adjusted his wig.

“How do I look?” he asked.

“Cute,” she answered truthfully.

“You know, I can really relate to Ellen. I shudder to think what would have happened to me if I had met someone like Laura when I was a kid,” confessed Joe. “I would have loved to have met someone so willing to help me and I doubt that I would have sensed any danger.”

“I know exactly what you mean,” stated Ally as she stepped back to do a final inspection of Joe.

“Really?

Ally nodded. “It’s part of the reason why I do this sort of thing. I knew how vulnerable I was back then. I would have been a good target.”

“So, how much of what you wrote in those earlier conversations with Laura was real and how much was Ellen?”

“The part when Ellen first went out is essentially word for word, other than it wasn’t cold out, and I didn’t have a sister,” confessed Ally.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking these sorts of questions.”

Ally shook her head. “When we’re alone, it’s fine. I know you have a lot of issues.”

Joe nodded. “Speaking of which, if I get hurt, please don’t let others get… you know…”

“You won’t get hurt. If you do, I’ll ensure that proper precautions are observed by the others. Don’t worry about that; what you need to do is focus all your thoughts into this mission.”

Joe nodded. “Okay. I guess we’d better get going.”

Chapter 71

The brief was conducted in the same professional manner that Ally had expected from Chief Stone. Joe was taken aside and wired for the surveillance team. Even though she was going to be in a surveillance vehicle, Ally followed Chief Stone’s procedures and conducted a check of her weapon, today it was her nine millimeter Glock.

“When did you switch to the Glock?” asked George. “Is it a Fed thing?”

“Yes, we use it when we’re trying to impress Podunk police departments,” replied Ally with a wink.

Ally said good-bye to Joe/Ellen and was driven down to the park. It was already warm, and the air conditioning inside the RV felt wonderful.

“We have an unmarked car following the bus that Joe’s riding,” stated George.

“I know they did a sound check back in the station, but what happens if you guys can’t get him here?” asked Elaine.

“We have a listening device installed in the bench. I hooked it up this morning. It’s a little something that I’ve been playing with,” replied Maria.

“What if Laura sees it?” asked Elaine.

“I doubt that. But if she does, she’ll just think it’s a piece of gum someone stuck under the bench. People don’t usually touch that stuff.”

Elaine laughed. “You guys always have the best toys!”

The clock slowly ticked down. Ally was pleased that there was Diet Coke in the fridge.

“Chief had us stock that especially for you,” remarked George.

Ally smiled as she popped the can’s top. “I’m glad he remembered.”

“Here comes Joe,” announced David.

Ally watched on the monitor as Joe walked slowly towards the bench. She saw a jogger run by and realized that it was one of the undercover officers.

Joe sat down and pulled out his cell phone. It rang three times before Laura answered it.

“Laura? This is Ellen.”

“Hi, Sweetie. It’s wonderful to hear your voice,” greeted Laura.

Ally noted that her voice sounded much older than sixteen.

“I’m in the park,” stated Ellen.

“Great, I’ll be there shortly. You didn’t tell anyone where you were going, did you?”

“No.”

“Wonderful. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Ally slipped on a headset. “Suspect has made contact with Joe. Will be here shortly.”

Ten minutes later, a young woman approached Ellen and sat down next to her. She was dressed in a mini skirt and halter-top. She had shoulder length brunette hair. Ally stared at the monitor and tried to picture Loren Gabriel. It could be him, she decided.

“Are you, Ellen?” asked Laura.

Ellen nodded. “Yes, who are you?”

“I’m Laura, silly. I know that I’m a little older than sixteen, but everything else I told you was the truth. I do want to help you and be your friend.”

“Okay.”

“Are you really fifteen?” asked Laura. “You look younger.”

Ally smiled. “Thanks for doing our job for us.”

Ellen nodded. “Yes, I’m fifteen.”

Ally picked up the microphone and announced to the other officers that they had made contact with the suspect.

“Wonderful. It will be so easy to transform you into a sexy young woman; the hormones will do wonders for your pretty little body. In fact, I have a gift for you.” Laura reached into her purse and pulled out a prescription bottle of pills. “These are female hormones; I want you to start taking them.”

“You mean that these will give me breasts?” asked Ellen.

“Yes, among other changes.”

“But, won’t others notice that I’m changing?”

“Probably, but we can solve that problem too. You can come with me. Let me take care of you,” offered Laura.

“Gotcha!” exclaimed Ally.

“You mean now?”

Laura nodded. “Sure why not? What’s waiting for you back at your house? I will make you into a woman and my lover. I’m getting wet just thinking about kissing you and fondling your little titties.”

Ellen nodded. “You mean that?”

Laura nodded again. “Silly girl, I want you, and I always get what I want. In a few weeks, you’ll barely remember being a boy.”

Ellen smiled. “Okay, let’s go.”

Laura smiled, leaned over and kissed Ellen.

“All agents move in. Arrest the suspect. Repeat, all agents move in and arrest the suspect.”

Ally pulled off her headset and rushed out of the RV with the other officers and agents. By the time they got out, a jogger and what looked like a homeless person were trying to subdue Laura. Both had their badges out and were yelling at Laura that they were police and that she was under arrest. The jogger was struck in the throat by Laura and staggered back, falling to the ground. Laura then tried to wrestle the gun from the officer disguised as the homeless man. Joe had darted away to safety but seeing the struggle ran back and picked up the gun of the agent on the ground.

“Don’t move!” he screamed at Laura. The gun was pointed directly at Laura.

She was caught off guard by Joe’s actions, and it caused her to hesitate in her fight for the gun. She seemed genuinely shocked that the teen she was trying to abduct was pointing a gun at her. This was all the other officer needed, as he knocked Laura to the ground. Two uniformed officers ran up and helped him subdue Laura, who continued to get try and escape. After some more struggling, they finally got her cuffed. In the process her wig fell off. Ally immediately recognized her as Loren Gabriel.

Joe helped the officer who had been hit in the throat get up. “You okay?”

Lopez nodded as he rubbed his throat. “Thanks,” he croaked.

“Lopez, the EMTs will be here in a moment, have them check you out,” ordered George. He turned to Ally. “You want the honors?”

She shook her head. “It’s your arrest.”

Gregory nodded and read Loren Gabriel his rights.

Ally pulled out her phone and called Ty. “We just arrested Loren Gabriel for soliciting sex with a minor. I think your people will want a part of this.”

“You’re kidding?” he exclaimed.

“No, we’ll be taking him to the police station in Orange Heights. It’s south of LA in Orange County.”

“I’ll call the LA office. They’ll have someone there immediately.”

“Okay. I have another call to make,” answered Ally.

“Talk to you later.”

Ally watched as they drove Loren away. She then called Robert Ledyard.

“You did what?” he stated in a slightly elevated tone.

“We just arrested Loren Gabriel for attempting to abduct a person he thought was a fifteen-year-old boy. I called Ty and his office is sending someone down here. We have several online conversations with him that obviously took place in the middle of the day, so you should have no problem getting search warrants for both his home and office.”

“I distinctly remember telling you to stay away from this case.”

“Technically, I did. We were staked out to catch someone passing himself off as Laura Green. I didn’t know for sure that it was Loren until his wig fell off as we arrested him.”

“Is everyone okay?”

“One officer was struck in the throat as they subdued Loren. He’s okay though.”

“When you get finished out there, get back here and report immediately to my office, Agent Burns.”

“I will.”

She saw no need in apologizing to Robert. She would take her punishment. She did notice a definite chilliness to his voice.

“Ally, you need a ride?” asked George.

“Yes, please,” she replied.

Chapter 72

Loren Gabriel was a very popular person when he arrived at the station. The local Federal prosecutor had just arrived and was eager to question him.

“How did he find out about this so fast?” the DA asked Ally, pointing to the Federal Prosecutor.

“I called him. If I’m right, this arrest just opened up a whole can of worms. I think that Loren is going to be facing a ton of charges,” replied Ally. “Don’t worry, your department will still get credit for the bust.”

The DA nodded.

After the debrief, Ally checked in with the DA and Federal Prosecutor.

“We’ve got the search warrants. According to the team, they’ve already uncovered some real trash on him,” stated the prosecutor, whose name was Ivan Hernandez. “We’ve keeping this under wraps for now, as it appears that Mr. Gabriel wants to talk. This may lead to several more arrests. You guys did a really good job.”

Ally smiled. At least it was worth it. She stared into the interrogation room. Loren was now dressed in a suit and tie provided by his lawyers.

“Yeah, I imagine that he wouldn’t want it to get out that he was dressed in drag, trying to grab someone he thought was a fifteen-year-old teenager,” added the DA.

Three hours later Ally was on a jet heading back to DC. She called Carol using the in-flight phone.

“I heard through the grapevine that you were busy today,” stated Carol.

“Yes, we did well.”

“From the tone of your voice, it doesn’t sound like you’re happy. What did you do wrong?”

“I wasn’t supposed to go after him. I did it out of vengeance, and I’m on my way back to the woodshed.”

“Call me when you get out,” replied Carol. “I love you.”

Chapter 73

Ally typed up her after action report on the flight back to DC. She took care to point out Joe’s quick actions in the subduing Loren. The jet touched down a little after midnight, and with only her carry on bags, Ally quickly departed Dulles. It was still hot and sticky out, but Ally barely noticed as she walked to her car.

Ally drove straight to the Agency and went straight to Robert Ledyard’s office. The door was closed, but she knew he was there. She hesitated for a second before knocking.

“Enter,” he stated. There was no emotion in his voice.

Ally took a deep breath and walked in.

“Sit down,” he ordered.

Ally sat down across from him.

He was reading a report on his computer.

“Apparently, Loren Gabriel is turning into a wealth of information. He’s doing everything possible to avoid being charged with what you caught him doing today. He’s already provided us with enough information to break up an international child pornography ring. This in no way changes the fact that you violated a direct order I gave you,” stated Robert firmly.

Ally sat and listened to Robert. She knew that he wasn’t done and he would give her a chance to explain when he finished. Her shoulder began to throb, she fought back from reaching up and rubbing it.

“Dammit, Ally. You have no idea how many people have been waiting for you to screw up. You’re the youngest department head in the Agency and you’re transgendered. That has irked more than one or two agents. Those of us who know you have been able to defend you because you’re a damn fine agent, but then you turn around and do something like this.”

Ally nodded gently.

“I told you to stay out of this case. You went around my back strictly out of revenge. Still, you got lucky and nailed him, but do you have any idea how much Agency time and money would have been wasted if you had failed?”

Ally didn’t answer, as she knew it wasn’t her time yet.

“The only good thing is that your initial involvement in the case was only known to three people, The Director, Tyler, and me. Still, I’m hurt that you went around my back. Before you explain, don’t try and tell me that this was all chance.”

“It wasn’t. You’re correct in the fact that I went after Loren because of what he did to Tyler. I accessed Loren’s file and used the chatrooms and names he used in the rooms. I then set up a surveillance of those rooms. When a person using one of those names entered a chatroom, I also went in; using a teen profile that I thought might attract Loren. Instead, I hooked someone who claimed to be a teenager calling herself Laura Green. Laura’s the name of Loren’s dead twin sister, and Green is his mother’s maiden name. I wasn’t sure if it was Loren, but it was apparent that the person wasn’t a teenager.”

Robert nodded.

“I’m deeply sorry that I violated your trust. It’s the only thing I regret, that and the fact that I stooped to revenge. I did the job my department was created for. I know that you’ve had a lot to do with my rise in the Agency, and I know this is a poor way of repaying it. I’ll take my punishment without complaint.”

“I could bust you down or I could have out of here if I wanted.”

Ally nodded. “I know. Still, I had to do it. Tyler deserved better than being murdered and then an anonymous burial. He’s a real hero and deserves full recognition for what he did. I set up the arrest so that the police got credit for it. I just wanted the man responsible behind bars.”

Robert leaned back in his chair. He didn’t say a thing for what seemed like an eternity.

Ally sat and waited. Robert’s silence was deafening, and she would have preferred for him to yell at her.

“Consider yourself on probation. If there’s another incident like this, you will be fired,” stated Robert.

Ally nodded as the gravity of the situation sank in.

“You may leave now, Ally.”

Ally stood up and began to slowly walk out. She stopped and turned back to Robert. “I’m really sorry I hurt you. You mean a lot to me.”

After she walked out of his office, Robert walked up the Director’s office.

“How did she take it?” asked the Director.

“She took it as I thought she would, no excuses, no denials. I can tell that she’s hurt. It pained me to put her in this sort of situation,” replied Robert. “She’s a fine agent, and she ran a superb operation to get Gabriel. We’ve been trying to get that bastard for three years and she nails him in a few weeks.”

“You didn’t put her in this situation, I did. Robert, there are things I have to do from time to time that bother me; this was one of them. We have a leak in the Agency; the attack on Tyler confirmed that. We needed an operation to go after Loren Gabriel that was outside the normal channels. Hopefully, something will turn up in his arrest that’ll help us find the leak.”

“How did you know that Ally would go after him?” asked Robert.

“Because it’s what I would have done, or for that matter, what you would have done. Now tell me about how she did it.”

Robert debriefed the Director on the operation.

“So we finally know who the mysterious Laura Green is. She had contacted Tyler/Sherri several times, according to the files in his computer. Did it ever enter your thoughts that she was really Loren?” asked the Director.

Robert shook his head. “Ally did a great job piecing this case together.”

“Yes, she’s a brilliant investigator.”

“I hate using her like this. She deserves better,” added Robert.

The Director nodded back. “When we get the leak, you can tell her the truth.”

“Everything?” he asked.

“Yes, everything.”

Chapter 74

Ally arrived home and flopped on the couch. Bogie found her way into Ally’s lap and began to rub against her hand, as if to tell Ally that she could start petting her any time now. Ally complied and began to cry softly. It would have been easier to take if Robert had just fired her without the long explanation. She knew Robert thought highly of her, but she hadn’t taken into account how hurt he might be by her going around his orders.

“Crap!” she exclaimed, as she petted Bogie.

Ally walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge. She had no appetite, even though she hadn’t eaten all day. Bogie on the other hand wasn’t feeling any guilt and eagerly ate her kitten food.

Ally sat at the kitchen table and drank a glass of wine. She sipped it slowly as she didn’t even feel up to getting drunk. It was now raining outside, and the weather only increased Ally’s despair. Bogie jumped up into Ally’s lap and immediately fell asleep. Ally involuntarily stroked the sleeping kitten.

“Sitting alone with the cat and drinking wine, what a nice picture this makes,” stated Carol.

Ally swung around so fast she almost spilled her wine. Bogie jumped off just before Ally jumped up to embrace Carol.

Carol held Ally and caressed her as she cried.

“I didn’t think you were coming home until next week,” cried Ally, as she held onto Carol.

“I broke away; I figured that they could do without me for a day.”

“I really fucked up,” confessed Ally.

Ally eventually released Carol, and they sat down at the kitchen table.

“After you pour me a glass of whatever you’re drinking, tell me everything,” ordered Carol.

Ally nodded and over the next hour she told Carol everything that had happened.

“I guess I’m lucky to still have a job, but I’d do it again,” explained Ally.

“I imagine that I would have done the same thing, if I had been in your shoes.”

“How long do you think Robert will stay pissed at me?”

“I wouldn’t worry about it too much. He’ll expect you to learn from this and move on,” explained Carol. “If I were you, I wouldn’t bring it up again.”

Ally nodded and yawned.

“Sounds like a lovely idea. I think we should go to bed,” suggested Carol as she stood up. “I think we can both use a good night sleep.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you everything sooner,” apologized Ally, as they walked upstairs.

“Nothing to apologize for, in our line of work job related secrets are the norm,” replied Carol.

Ally was too tired to argue. The weight of the past few weeks came down on her, and she was sound asleep as soon as she got into bed.

Chapter 75

Ally didn’t go into work until midmorning.

“What are you doing here? I heard from Joe that you didn’t get in until late last night,” asked Donna.

“I wanted to see the after action report from the prosecutor,” answered Ally, as she popped open a Diet Coke.

“You look like hell,” commented Donna.

“Thanks,” replied Ally.

“By the way, great arrest. David called and told me some of the charges that they’re working up on Loren.”

“He might not get all of those. Apparently he’s willing to be very cooperative to avoid some of the charges, especially the sex ones,” explained Ally.

“Oh, one more thing, the Director is due to address everyone later today,” added Donna.

“About what?” asked Ally. The Director rarely addressed the entire Agency.

Donna shrugged her shoulders.

At eleven an announcement was made on the PA system for all Agency employees to turn on their TVs to the Agency’s internal channel.

Ally walked out into the Op Center to watch with Donna’s agents.

A minute later the Director appeared on the screen.

“Good morning. It is my sad duty to inform you all, that one of our agents, Tyler Brown was killed while on an assignment. Tyler was on a deep undercover mission, details of which are classified, when he gave his life in the line of duty. There will be a memorial service tomorrow afternoon at three in the outside central plaza. Additionally, I would like all agents to observe a moment of silence in memory of our fallen fellow agent.”

Ally noticed all the agents began to stand up and bow their heads. She vainly attempted to hold back her tears, but soon gave up and let them flow freely. She also felt a sense of pride in that Tyler had gotten the recognition he so richly deserved.

Afterwards, she pulled a tissue out of her pocket and wiped her eyes. Donna walked over, looking concerned.

“Did you know him?”

Ally nodded.

“Did this have something to do with the case you’ve been working on?”

Ally just gave Donna a blank stare back. “He was the mystery man who spent some time with us a few months ago.”

Donna stared back with a shocked look on her face. “That was Tyler?”

“Do you have plans for lunch? I’d like to tell you a little about him.”

Donna smiled back. “I’d like that. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Chapter 76

It was late in the afternoon as Allie was going through her weekly reports when her phone ran; it was Tyrone.

“Just wanted you to know that as we speak there are warrants being served in ten different countries. They’re all due to information provided by Loren Gabriel,” stated Ty.

“Just don’t tell me that he’s getting off,” replied Ally.

“No, we’ve got him on a long list of charges, but he won’t be charged as a sexual offender,” replied Ty. “Before you say a word, I’m not totally happy about it myself, but he provided us with information that is breaking up an international child sex and pornography ring.”

“I hope you have hard evidence and not just his word.”

“We have computer files and recorded conversations.”

“Have you talked to Robert Ledyard?”

“Yes.”

“You know about Tyler?”

“Yes.”

“And?”

“From what we’ve learned so far, it looks like it was the head of security that ordered the hit. Loren may not have known about it.”

“Is this just from what he’s said?”

“No, Ally, we have some evidence that supports the theory. Don’t worry, we’ll find out who killed Tyler; he was a great agent.”

“Oh,” replied Ally, caught off guard by Ty’s answer. “You knew him?”

“Yes, I met him several years ago; we worked on several cases together. I’ll miss him.”

“Are you coming here tomorrow for the memorial service?”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” he replied.

Chapter 77

The service was short and to the point. The Director spoke before the assembled agents. Ally barely heard his words as she couldn’t take her eyes off the granite wall behind the Director. On it were carved the names of fallen agents. Tyler’s name had apparently been carved into the wall overnight.

“If there is a positive thing that came out of Special Agent Tyler Brown’s death, it was that it led to the breakup of a major sex crime syndicate. This is no small accomplishment, and we should be proud of the work of all the agents who contributed to the breaking open of the case; it pains me that it cost us a very fine agent,” concluded the Director.

Ally wondered what had happened to Tyler’s remains. From what he had said, he had no family. As the service broke up, she stared at Tyler’s name on the monument.

“Ally, you okay?” asked Maggie.

Ally turned around. “I’m sorry; I was lost in my thoughts. I didn’t even see you here.”

“Hi Ally,” greeted Beth.

“What are you doing here?” asked Ally, as she hugged Beth.

“Mom and Dad suggested that if I really want to be an agent, I should see what’s the ultimate sacrifice an agent can give,” replied Beth. “It was a very moving ceremony.”

Ally nodded.

Steve walked over to Ally. “How you doing?” he asked.

“Better. He’s the first agent I’ve really known that was killed,” replied Ally.

“It doesn’t get any easier,” mumbled Steve, almost to himself.

“Where’s Carol?” asked Beth. “I heard she was back in town.”

“Unfortunately she had to fly back to California; she’ll be back for good next week.”

“If you want to talk about it, you know where my office is,” offered Steve.

“Thanks,” replied Ally.

Chapter 78

Ally nervously struggled to get her earring in. Carol walked over and took the earring from her.

“Here, before you create a whole new hole,” stated Carol, as she slipped the earring in.

“I can’t believe how nervous I am,” replied Ally. “By the way, should we be seeing each other right now?”

“Well, we’ve been living together for a couple of years and we did have sex last night; I don’t think this is the time to worry about breaking traditions,” answered Carol with a sly grin. “By the way, you look stunning!”

Ally smiled and stood back and looked at herself in the mirror. She was wearing an apricot colored dress. She then turned back towards Carol. “You look stunning yourself.”

Carol was dressed in a similarly styled lavender dress. Neither felt it was necessary to wear white.

It had been nearly a month since Loren’s arrest, and things had sort of returned to normal for Ally. Robert had seemed to put the flap over Ally’s actions aside. In a total surprise, William Shaw, after passing his physical, requested to stay on as head of the St. Louis office. Ally eagerly agreed.

Ally and Carol were dressing in the upstairs guest room of Steve and Carol’s new home in Virginia. While the Williams had just moved in the previous week, they’d insisted that the ceremony take place in their yard.

Technically, Ally and Carol were already married, having filled out the proper legal documents the previous day. The Justice of the Peace wasn’t pleased and was slightly confused by the whole procedure. While he was obviously upset, legally he had no choice but to complete the ceremony and to provide the legal documents that declared that Ally and Carol were married. They’d decided to go with Burns as their last name, and forgo the hyphenated Burns-Martin. Carol felt it sounded like a law firm or a ‘50s comedy team.

Outside, there were nearly forty guests waiting for Ally and Carol to exchange their vows. True, it was symbolic, but to Ally and Carol it meant the world.

There had been a slight break in the summer’s heat and humidity; the temperature was in the low eighties, and there was the first hint of fall in the air, a truly beautiful day.

“I’m glad to see our parents have hit it off so wonderfully,” noted Carol.

“Me too,” replied Ally. “I’m happy that both your mother and father both showed up.”

“I’m moved by the fact they’ve put their differences away for a while. I guess that I’m still holding out hope that they’ll get back together.”

“Anything can happen, look at us!” quipped Ally. “I can’t believe that we’re really married.”

“It was worth doing just to see the veins throbbing in the Justice of the Peace’s forehead.”

Ally laughed. “That was pretty funny. I’m convinced that he almost was going to ask to see my penis.”

Carol snickered. “Well, we’d better get downstairs, our guests are waiting.”

They walked outside hand in hand to address their gathered friends and family. Steve and Maggie had an ancient oak tree in the backyard. The tree had been one of the main reasons why they bought they bought the house. It was under this huge old tree that Ally and Carol held the ceremony.

The actual ceremony was kept simple at Ally and Carol’s request. Neither wanted a full-blown ceremony. They did have photographers and music.

The music was provided by Tina. Maggie owned a piano, which had been in storage until they bought the house. It had been her mother’s and hadn’t been played in years, fortunately they found a piano tuner and he was able to get it back in playing condition before the ceremony.

A temporary dance floor had been set up in the yard near the tables and buffet. When she saw the setup Ally protested in vain to Maggie and Steve about the cost.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve used some favors for some of this and Celeste provided the rest,” stated Steve. “It’s just your friends’ way of showing how much we think of you two.”

As the ceremony started, Ally and Carol stood in front of the tree with everyone else gathered around them in a semi-circle. Tina played softly in the background. Ally and Carol first jointly addressed their audience, thanking them for their love, support, and open-mindedness. They took special care to thank their parents for their love.

Next they expressed their love and devotion for each other, before exchanging their rings, by slipping them on each other’s fingers. The ceremony ended with Carol kissing Ally softly, to the applause of the others.

Flutes of champagne were passed out to everyone and a toast was made to Carol and Ally’s happiness.

“Now that the speechmaking is out of the way, we want you all to celebrate our union, by having a great time,” announced Carol. “Please mingle and meet all the guests here today, as everyone here is dear to us.”

This was met by another round of applause.

Ally and Carol began to make the rounds. They found their parents clustered together, chatting as if they had known each other for years.

“Honey, you looked lovely up there, as did you Carol,” commented Ally’s mom, Pamela. She was wearing a pale green dress with a matching hat. She was the same height and build as Ally. Her hair was slightly longer and a light shade of blonde, but it was obvious that she was Ally’s mother.

“I agree,” concurred Carol’s mother, Jeannie.

Jeannie Martin was tall and thin. She had shoulder length strawberry blonde hair styled in light curls. Like her daughter, she was very athletic, although she hadn’t run in a marathon in fifteen years. Her main exercise came from playing tennis and riding her bike.

“I know it’s not the way you thought my wedding day would be, Mom,” remarked Ally with a wink.

“That’s true,” replied Pam. “I always thought you’d go for a traditional white gown.”

Ally burst out laughing.

Ally’s dad hugged her and Carol.

“I’m so happy you and Mom made it today,” stated Carol as she hugged her father.

Colin Martin was a large man, nearly six feet three inches, with the muscular build of a working man, although he was starting to put on a few extra pounds. His weather-beaten face showed the wear of working outside in Massachusetts. In his thirty plus years working for the electric department for the city of Boston, he had worked his way up from lineman to supervisor.

“Now don’t just hang out here planning how soon we’re going to start having your grandchildren. Get out there and meet our friends,” stated Carol.

“Yes, you’ll find that they’re really nice people. Don’t worry, Dad, I won’t tell your friends back in Berkeley that we’re hanging out with a bunch of Feds,” added Ally.

Ally’s mom began to laugh uncontrollably and her dad began to blush.

Dr. Nathaniel Burns, PhD hugged his daughter and then Carol. He looked the part of a college professor, with his short gray hair and matching beard. He adjusted his wire-framed glasses and smiled. He was presently the political science department head at a small private Northern California liberal arts college.

“I’m very proud of what you do, Ally, and I always have been.”

Ally hugged him again, fighting back tears.

Carol and Ally then approached Steve, Maggie, Beth and Stevie. They were immediately joined by Donna and Ed.

“That you so much for the use of your house, it was very thoughtful,” remarked Carol.

“We couldn’t think of a better way to hold a housewarming!” answered Steve. “Seriously, we’re the ones honored that you accepted.”

“I agree,” added Maggie.

“I was hoping that Andrea would make it down here,” remarked Ally.

“The trip back to Denmark took a lot out of her,” replied Beth. “I know she wanted to be here.”

“I still want to hear about what it was like to have dinner with the Queen,” continued Ally.

“It was so cool!” replied Beth fighting back giggles.

Celeste walked over and joined them. “What a lovely ceremony, thank you so much for inviting me.”

Ally hugged Celeste. “Please, we’re sisters!”

Carol also hugged Celeste.

“I was hoping for a big ceremony. I think I look cute in a bridesmaid dress,” piped in Beth.

“Who said that I would want you as a bridesmaid?” asked Ally with a wink.

Beth playfully stuck out her tongue.

“By the way, when are you going in for surgery?” asked Celeste.

“Two weeks,” replied Ally. “Thank you again for your very generous gift.”

“What was that?” asked Steve, as he popped the cork out of another bottle of champagne. “Who wants a refill?”

“Celeste’s paying for my SRS,” stated Ally as she held out her empty flute.

Steve nodded as he filled her glass. “That’s very nice of you Celeste.”

Maggie stared at Steve. “I can’t believe that you didn’t make some dumb joke or pun.”

“I thought about it, but decided not to, consider it my wedding gift,” he replied with a wink.

Celeste took a sip of her champagne. “Oooh, this is superb!”

Steve held out the bottle and Celeste nodded approvingly.

“That’s an excellent vintage,” remarked Celeste. “Where did you get it?”

“I have an old friend in Interpol and he owed me a few favors. I told him I wanted the best and he definitely delivered,” explained Steve as he refilled everyone’s glasses. “Drink up everyone; we have three cases to finish off!”

“I still wish you had let us throw you a bridal party,” lamented Donna. “I still owe you for the one you set up for me.”

Ally laughed. “We wanted to keep this low key.”

“Well, the least you can do is let me throw you a post-surgery party,” continued Donna.

Ally rolled her eyes. “I don’t know if that’s necessary…”

“I think it’s a marvelous idea,” interrupted Carol. “Think of it as your official entrance into womanhood.”

“Count me in!” added Maggie.

Beth nodded vigorously. “Me too!”

“Looks like you’ve been outvoted, Ally,” noted Celeste.

“I’ll coordinate the guest list!” exclaimed Donna. “Women only!”

Ally smiled back. While she was a little embarrassed by Donna’s proposal, overall she was overwhelmed by the great affection of her friends.

“We’ll wait until you’ve sufficiently recovered from the operation,” added Donna.

“Okay, but do I get to show you my scars?” asked Ally with a wink.

Her response was met by a round of groans.

“I think the men should give Ally a going away party before her surgery,” piped in Steve.

Ally vigorously shook her head. “No thanks. A party would imply that I’m giving up something that I want to keep!”

“Too bad, I guarantee it would be tasteful,” replied Steve.

“Ally, I think you should do it, only if Steve and the other men wear dresses,” remarked Maggie.

Steve wrapped his arm around Maggie and winked back at Ally. “I think we’ll pass on that idea.”

“So are you two going on a honeymoon?” asked Ed.

Carol and Ally shook their heads.

“We’ve decided to wait until after I’ve recovered completely from my surgery,” replied Ally. “We’re thinking of taking a trip to Europe.”

“Maybe even a cruise through the Mediterranean,” added Carol.

Ally and Carol continued to make the rounds, talking to Jenna, Michelle, Cathleen and several others from work.

The most senior representative of the Agency at the ceremony was Robert Ledyard. Ally and Carol approached him, as they made their rounds.

Robert gave them both a long hug. “It was a very pleasant ceremony. I’m very happy for both of you.”

“Thank you,” replied Ally. “You don’t know how much it pleases me to see you here today.”

“I’m honored that you invited me,” he replied.

“I just want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me…”

“It’s okay, Ally. I think we know how much we think of each other.”

Ally nodded and smiled.

Ally and Carol continued to greet the rest of their guests. Tom was standing pretty close to Cathleen. Ally felt they made an interesting, yet cute couple. Madison was standing next to them, with his arm around Alyce. It looked like love was in bloom all over the agency.

Joe was chatting with Michelle and her husband. Ally was pleased to see how he was adjusting to his situation. She knew that he was still struggling with a lot, both his HIV status and his being transgendered. Being transgendered was difficult enough, she thought.

Jo was with her girlfriend talking to Jenna. Jo was wearing a slightly feminized version of a man’s suit. Ally nodded knowingly to her and Jo winked back.

Ally smiled to herself that she was truly blessed to have such a wonderful circle of friends.

Ally and Carol eventually made it over to Tina and they thanked her for her melodic contribution. Brenda was standing nearby sipping a soda listening to her play.

“I heard you were good, but I had no idea you were so talented,” remarked Ally.

“Thanks. I appreciate the fact that you invited me down here and play a part in your wedding,” replied Tina as she continued to play. “You know you’re one of our role models.”

“What do you mean?” asked Ally.

“You’ve shown us that it’s possible to be successful,” continued Tina.

Brenda nodded in agreement.

Ally nodded softly. “Thank you.”

“I think it would be cool if the other girls met you too,” added Tina.

“I think that could be arranged,” replied Ally.

“Cool,” replied Tina. “Well, it looks like time to get this party started. You and Carol get the first dance, so do you have any requests?”

“Do you know any Van Morrison?” asked Carol as she put her arm around Ally’s waist.

Tina nodded and began to play Tupelo Honey.

Carol took Ally by the hand and led her out to the dance area. It was the first of many dances for both of them, although the first one was the one that stuck in both their memories. Although the dances Ally and Carol each had with her fathers were also very memorable.

The party lasted through the afternoon and well into the night. It was a celebration worthy of those attending.

Chapter 79

Ally and Carol didn’t arrive home until almost two. As they cuddled together in bed they talked about the ceremony. A half empty bottle of champagne was on the nightstand. Both had been given silk lingerie as a wedding gift from Michelle, but those were now lying on the floor of their bedroom, after some rather energetic foreplay. Their nude bodies pressed close to each other.

“I can’t believe that we’re really married. I was half expecting the police or some right wing zealots to arrive any moment and stop us,” remarked Ally as she snuggled closer to Carol.

“That would have been a big mistake. I imagine we had the best armed wedding party in recent history,” replied Carol.

Ally giggled.

“It was a lovely day. I can’t imagine it being any better,” commented Ally.

“I was so happy that our parents came. I know that we didn’t need their permission or anything like that, but it was so much nicer having their blessings.”

“I know what you mean. My parents are very liberal but I know that they’re still adjusting to the fact that I’m their daughter now.”

Carol smiled and leaned over and kissed Ally. “No more talk, this is our wedding night.”

Ally just smiled back. “I love you so much.”

Chapter 80

It was Ally’s last day at work for the foreseeable future, as the next day she was heading off to have her SRS. She really wasn’t worried about the department, as each of the regional office heads were doing a superb job. William stepped in to be the acting administrative head, as someone had to fill out the weekly reports.

Ally reviewed a report on the arrest of Loren Gabriel. She was feeling better about the arrest, but was still bothered by the slight rift it had caused with Robert. Just as Carol had said, he had never said another word about what had happened.

As Ally read the report it appeared that the operation was going smoothly. Tyler had been hired and was working in the financial department in Loren’s main office.

As expected, Loren’s security director detected that Tyler was transgendered during his background check. An internal report to Loren confirmed this. The post operation investigation also discovered that Tyler’s computer had been hacked and his phone bugged. The head of Loren’s security department admitted doing this under the direct orders of his boss.

Apparently, Tyler had caught the eye of Loren. He checked out Tyler first in the chatrooms before he talked to him in person. Ally was a bit surprised to see that Loren used the name Laura Green when he talked to Sherri. It wasn’t long after Laura became friends with Sherri online that Tyler had been called to Loren’s office. They had several long conversations. Loren told Tyler not to worry and that his secret would be safe. Loren offered to meet Sherri away from work and he even expressed interested in having Sherri be his receptionist. Everything was going great.

The trouble started when Loren Gabriel’s security chief sent him a memo stating that he suspected that Tyler was lying about something. The memo was vague, but it implied that he might be an undercover officer. Loren disagreed and took steps to strengthen his relationship with Tyler/Sean/Sherri. It was then that the security chief ordered the attack. He stated that the attack was meant to scare Tyler off, not kill him. Ally didn’t buy his story. The two men he hired were professional killers. At least they had the names of the men and warrants had been issued.

The security chief was found to be heavily involved with the teen sex ring and apparently ordered the attack on Tyler to protect his own interests.

Ally was slightly surprised that the security chief wasn’t being charged with murder. She suspected that the prosecutor may have cut a deal, but something didn’t seem right. While Ty wasn’t handling the case, Ally knew that federal prosecutors never let someone slide on a murder charge. Additionally there wasn’t anything in the report to state why the security chief had suspected Tyler. He refused to tell why he suspected Tyler. There was no evidence of Loren having a hand in Tyler’s murder. Reading between the lines, Ally suspected that there was something missing from the report, but she fought off the urge to seek additional information.

Ally got up and looked around her office. She would miss it, and planned to be back as soon as she could.

“Hey, you’re needed in the Op Center,” announced Donna as she stood outside of Ally’s office.

Ally smiled and followed Donna. “Gee, I wonder why I’m needed there!”

“Try to act surprised,” whispered Donna with a giggle.

The agents threw Ally a party. It was just pizza and sodas, but Ally really appreciated the gesture.

“We figured since you’ve bought dozens of pizza for us, we owe you, Mom” stated Joe.

Ally laughed as she hadn’t been called that in a long time. “Just hand me a slice of pepperoni, please.”

Chapter 81

“Maggie will be here in ten minutes to drive us to the airport,” announced Carol. “You almost ready?”

“I’ll be right down,” replied Ally. She was standing in their bedroom. Bogie was in her arms, and she gently rubbed the young cat’s chin. She nervously stared at herself in the mirror. “Well, you ready for this?” she asked herself.

She walked downstairs, still carrying Bogie. “Too bad we can’t bring her along.”

Bogie purred back contentedly.

“Oh, that would really go over with the hospital,” replied Carol. “You ready?”

Ally nodded. “I’ve wanted this my whole life, and now that it’s about to happen, I’m getting second thoughts; is that crazy or what?”

Carol shook her head. “No, not at all. In fact for you, it’s consistent.”

“Have you confirmed our flight?” asked Ally nervously.

“Yes. By the way, according to the airline we’ve now been upgraded to first class,” replied Carol.

“Really? What happened?”

“Yes, for both the fight there and back. I’m just as surprised as you are.”

“Who did it, Celeste?” asked Ally.

Carol shook her head. “The airlines wouldn’t say, just that it was a gift. For some reason I suspect it was the Director.”

Ally felt a rush of emotions run through her body. She tried to speak, but could only nod.

There was a knock on the door; it was Beth. She was wearing a chauffeur’s hat.

“Hey, did you call for a ride?” she announced.

“This is a surprise! I thought you were up in Philly getting ready for school?” replied Ally.

“I was, but I wouldn’t miss seeing you off.”

Ally hugged Beth. “Thanks, sis.”

“We’d better get going,” noted Carol, as she took Bogie from Ally. “Sorry, fuzz ball, but you need to stay here. Don’t worry; your buddy from next door will be here to play with you.”

Bogie bounded away, as if she knew what Carol had just said.

“Okay, let’s get this going,” stated Ally firmly, as she picked up her bag.

Chapter 82

Around the same time that Ally entered surgery, a BMW along Highway 1 was pulled over by a motorcycle officer of the California Highway Patrol.

The man was a tourist from Winslow, Arizona, driving with his family up the coast to Monterey. The CHP officer gave the man a warning and told him how dangerous it was to speed along the coastal road.

“Next time, I’ll give you a ticket. Now, you’re driving along one of the most beautiful stretches of road in the state. It’s a beautiful day. Take your time and enjoy yourself, or I just might give you a ticket for ignoring the sights,” stated the officer with a smile.

The man just nodded and grumbled a little, still angry that he had been pulled over. However, the man’s wife realized what a break they had just been given. She glanced over at the handsome young officer. She read his name on the warning; it seemed somewhat familiar, but she couldn’t recall from where.

“What my husband is trying to say is thank you, Officer,” stated the woman. “I promise he’ll watch his speed.”

He smiled back. “Take it easy, and enjoy the ride.”

He rode his motorcycle up the coast and stopped right outside of Big Sur for lunch. He hesitated before walking into the restaurant that he frequented, as he watched a young hawk ride the thermals down the coast. The bird seemed to be riding the wind currents just for the sheer joy of it. He never tired of seeing nature in all her glory. He smiled to himself, thinking he was the luckiest man in the world.

He walked into the restaurant and smiled at the pretty redheaded woman who ran the place, she smiled back. They had just started dating two weeks ago, and already he knew she was the one.

She ran over and gave him a big hug. “Rick! This is a surprise. I wasn’t expecting you so early. What can I get you?”

CHP Officer Rick Blaine just smiled back. “The usual, sweetheart.”

The End
 
Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a lovely story…….

D. Eden's picture

But then again, after reading a good deal of your work I should not be surprised at how good this was.

I loved the ending, and the implications about what really became of Tyler. The usual sweetheart, indeed.

Here’s looking at you kid.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

protector series

great series AS are your others. I hope you write more protector And other series that you wrote.

Great Read

An absolutely riveting story.

Ally is one of my favourite characters and reading one of her new adventures has just made my day!

I have to be honest and say that I didn't see the end coming, a great surprise!

Delightful!

I always look forward to the adventures of Ally and Co. Each story seems to shade in more dimensions of the characters and fit nicely in the grander universe you are creating.

I can't help but wonder where in the Mediterranean Ally and Carol might go. Hmmmm.

A good story. Thank you!

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Assorted Sweets

Hi,

Another fine chapter. I wonder if the leak is the same one who was helping the abusers in the previous Protector story.

Lots in here and lots more questions

Hugs

Karen

Really COOL!!

It is a really COOL! story and nicely written. I had to go back again and again to find the real ending. Guess I am just slow. If had been Highway 5 and Richard I might have made two and two = four instead of the three I first came up with.

Really very well done. I hope we get to see much more of Ally and Carol in the future!

Burns and Martin were custom

Burns and Martin were custom holster makers back in the 50's-60's. I have one of theirs and it's still as good as new.

Sweet!

Another fine entry in the Ally saga! Haven't quite figured out the ending yet, but it's after 3 in the morning! Definitely looking forward to the next chapter.

Enjoyment

I just want to say how much I have enjoyed this story.

The last chunk has me confused, but it was late when I got to that section, so I will go back and re-read for clarification.

Many thnaks for the pleaseure this and the sister articles have provided.

The ending

Without giving away too much, read the earlier chapters with Ally and Tyler.

the ending

i agree with julie read them chapters i got it after about 20 seconds

great story and i hope to see more of ally and carol and the rest of the gang

samantha

Need A Flow Chart, Julie!

I really like your stories, and this one is no exception! But they're all so interconnected, I can't be sure which ones I've read or if I'm missing any. How about pulling them all together on a single site; I had to go to Stardust to read the others (two?) in the Protector series. And once they're all in one place, how about publishing a "family tree", showing how all the stories interlink? Kind of like was done for R. A. Heinlein's Future History series. I've gotten some tips on some others I liked, but now I'm reading these also, and it all gets so confusing for this poor blonde head! ;)

Love & Hugs!
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Julieverse chart

Hi Karen,

Julie and I have been talking about a chart, and Julie has already begun work on a master cast of characters for the Julieverse.

If you've only read Prtector 1 & 2 plus this one, you've missed a few others in the series -- Combined Forces, Celestial Awakenings, Protector - Hunted, and Protector - Race Against Time. At the moment, the only place where all of Julie's stories are posted is at Fictionmania. Eventually, I hope to get more of them posted here and at Stardust.

Amelia

"Reading rots the mind." - Uncle Analdas

"Reading rots the mind." - Uncle Analdas