Tamara's Trials - Chapter 10 "Mothers & Daughters"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Ten

 

"Mothers and daughters"

 

 
Sunday 18th January 2015
 

Tammy was sat in a onesie on Sunday morning, reading her mother's email before she and her father worked out how to reply.

From: Tara Simpson
To: Tamara Smart
Date: 16th January 2015 19:11
Subject: Missing you
 
Dear Tammy,
 
I'm still getting to grips with my own errors and sometimes I think I'm the reason you thought you were a girl, but, once again, my sister tells me that it doesn't work that way and not to blame myself. Things have not been good for me and I have made far too many mistakes in the past.
 
It's time for a fresh start; you'll see that I have gone back to my maiden name but this was suggested by the police to make it a little more difficult for any of those Albanians to find me. I'm now in a small flat outside London but I've been asked not to give my address out. Can we meet up so I can get to know you better? Bring your friend too if you want. I know the house has been sold so we can't go there but does your dad still have the apartment in Docklands?
 
I have to go to court in February so would like to see you before then, just in case the worst happens, so can we meet next week or the week after? I'm sure your school will understand, if you are still there?
 
Lots of love
Mum

If the sentiments were genuine then there was plenty of scope for reconciliation, thought Tammy. One question, how was she supporting herself? Her mother hadn't worked since Tammy was born and probably hadn't been employed for some time before that, if ever? With the pending court case her CV would not make great reading right now.

The other issue was how to take time off school? Tammy had spent almost five weeks off school in the Autumn so could hardly claim a good record there, even if it was due to extenuating circumstances. One problem was the travel time from Thurso to almost anywhere, even flying to London would take much of a day. She put this to her father.

"I know Tammy, there's only one solution that I can think of."

"She comes to Thurso?"

"Yes, but I don't think it would be a good idea for her to stay here."

"Perhaps she could stay at the Castletown?"

"As she's on a restricted budget that would seem to be appropriate."

"How is she managing, Dad?"

"As you know, if she receives a fine then her savings, stocks and bonds are at risk."

"Yes."

"What her solicitor and Gerald agreed was to create a new trust fund that would pay her an allowance."

"Couldn't the court seize that?"

"The bulk of the money is overseas and the UK fund is managed only by the two solicitors, not her or even me."

"What about the divorce settlement?"

"The decree nisi should be granted this week and we'll submit the financial paperwork after that, so long as your mum agrees the terms it should go through without a problem."

"Even if it looks to the judge that she's losing out?"

"If she's agreed, then that's it. Gerald will prepare an explanatory note for the court and have her solicitor counter-sign it."

"Nicely done, but what will happen to the financial settlement after the court case?"

"We might look at the arrangements again?"

"Right Dad, when's the best time for her to come up here?"

"Two weekends from now, on Friday the thirtieth?"

"Until the Monday morning?"

"Yes Tammy, as she'll be bored by then."

"And don't forget George's inquest is on the Monday."

"I'll email her about the trip, you just reply about yourself, right?"

"Okay."

From: Tamara Smart
To: Tara Simpson
Date: 18th January 2015 09:20
Subject: Re: Missing you
 
Dear Mum,
 
Dad's told me that he'll sort out when and where we can meet, so expect something from him.
 
I was back at school just before Christmas and didn't have to do any catch-up work because of the homework that had been set. I was also made up to prefect when I returned and the school will be admitting girls into the sixth form from September, several have already had tours of the school.
 
I'm just about to start rehearsals for Macbeth in the local theatre. The shows are in early May, perhaps you could be here for one of those performances? Angela, the girl you met in London, is playing a witch and John Hibbert is playing Duncan.
 
I'm still helping Sarah Bonney in her clothes shop, we had a very busy Christmas and New Year period and there are some exciting plans for the shop. No doubt Sarah will be involved in the costumes for the play.
 
Your daughter
Tammy's signature

Tammy was having difficulty signing off her reply, having tried and deleted some of the usual offerings, so the scanned signature that she'd used at Christmas came in useful. She sent the reply, then forwarded a copy to her dad.

Her phone pinged, Angela was letting her know that their train to Glasgow wasn't leaving until lunchtime, getting them into the city that evening. Tammy knew that Angela had some homework to do and would probably tackle some of it this morning but she wondered if Angela was going to be able to do any of it on the train? Given the length of the train journey she'd have time to read Macbeth several times, transcribe it, or even train a team of primates to read and write so they could transcribe it for her.

Unfortunately for Angela, but fortunate for any primates requiring training, flying wasn't an option this weekend due to the weather. The other problem was that, since it was a Sunday, trains in the Highlands were sparse, very sparse. The 1230 service to Inverness was the only train of the day on Sunday 18th of Jan 2015.

Her appointment with Professor Roberts was at half past nine the following day so she should be home mid to late afternoon? Tammy was hoping for some good news from Angela. Tammy herself wasn't due to see Julian Roberts until the spring and had only been prescribed HRT at this stage because of her blood results, plus some good reports. Angela's hormone levels were typical so no early intervention was apparently required, but that was a matter for the professor.

Tammy's phone pinged again, this time it was Tanya.

Hi - John left some homework in his room so has to go back to the school to finish it. Did you want picking up?
 
I take it you want to meet this lady?
 
Yes, priorities changed!
 
What time?
 
Dropping John at the school at midday, pick you up on the way back?
 
Great, text me when leaving the school?
 
Ok

Tammy decided she could spend an hour on homework herself before getting ready to meet Miss Lane again. One concern, what does a girl wear if she wants to be a model, even is it's for a small town show? Even more important, did she want to be a model at all? A few months ago the idea would have been laughable and yet only yesterday she'd been asked.

Tammy decided to tackle her maths but couldn't handle calculus right now, or quantum maths, both of which featured in the homework. She put that aside and read some of Macbeth instead, hoping that would focus her turbulent mind.

Although a much needed coffee plus Hobnob biscuits had been delivered an hour earlier, the time had crept towards half past eleven. Tammy quickly showered and dressed, going for the simple multi-layer approach. She kept makeup to a minimum too, after giving her face a deep cleanse.

She was walking into the sitting room when Tanya's text arrived.

"Dad, I have five minutes before my lift arrives."

"Who's taking you?"

"Sandy, she's just dropped John back at the school."

"Okay, remember what I said and be careful."

"I will. Did you see my reply to mum?"

"Yes, I'll copy my one to you when I've sent it but I might want Gerald to check it first."

"Oh, why would it need a solicitor's input?"

"In case she's not allowed to leave England? He can check her bail conditions with her criminal solicitor."

"I see, that would make things awkward."

"Which is why I want to check first."

"I best get my coat."

"Sure, have fun. Don't forget to have some lunch, and yes, you can have a glass of wine as I doubt you'll be driving today."

"When can I have some practice?"

"Next Saturday as you don't finish school much before dusk."

"Okay."

There was a toot outside so Tammy hurried out to Sandy's car.

***

The meeting went well and it looked like some firm decisions had been made. Sandy had dropped Tanya and Tammy at the hotel then went home.

"Well, Tammy, your suggestion of the golf club is certainly the best of the options we've looked at so far, we went up there this morning. They recommended some local DJs who would supply our music and PA."

"Yes, probably the Thurso Shinty Disco."

"You know them? That's useful. We'll bring the staging equipment and lighting in on the Friday so everything is setup ready for Saturday morning."

"What time are you starting?"

"The show itself will be at two in the afternoon. There will be a buffet for invited guests first."

"Who are you thinking of inviting?"

"We'll look at independent clothing shop managers from across the Highlands and islands. One of the reasons for choosing Thurso is that Scrabster ferry terminal is just a few miles to the North."

"I doubt that's an oft consideration."

"So do I but it's worth a punt. We'll also invite a few local councillors so we won't have a problem with any licences."

"Is that necessary?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Is there a theme?"

"It's the Spring Collection but we'll include jackets."

"Lingerie?"

"No, our main product lines are outerwear."

"How many models?"

"I think we can cope with eight, including one or two spares. We'll bring two professionals with us and will want to find six girls locally."

"That shouldn't be too difficult."

"No, as we have two here."

Tanya had been sat quietly, listening to the conversation, but did let out a squeal when Penelope Lane gave her the nod.

"Who are you looking for?"

"Real people, not girls with a ten inch waist. I'd like to include a boy too."

"That's easy, her fiancé John."

"I'd like a few choices, but by all means include John."

"Okay, do you want some photos sent to you?"

"Yes, please, including full names, a short bio and contact numbers."

"Right, I'll grab some boys and girls then let you have them. What about contracts?"

"We'll deal with that on the day, but the usual deal is that you keep the clothes you model plus there's a fee for the day. No under eighteens please, there's no scope for chaperones."

"Sounds reasonable."

Sarah was listening as well, impressed with Tammy's questions. It was strictly her show, as the host stockist, but Tammy was asking questions that she might not have included.

They broke for lunch after half an hour, Frances was ever hovering nearby as, it seemed, his hotel would be hosting the crew and out-of-town models for the show. This show should bring business into the town in many different guises, thought Tammy. She had a thought.

"I have a case study to write as part of the final assessment for my Business Studies A level."

"And you'd like to use the fashion show?"

"Yes please, could I have a copy of the paperwork, including draft costings and logistics?"

"I don't see why not, but you'll have to sign a confidentiality agreement and I'd rather if a fictitious company name was used."

"Sure, thanks."

***

Sandy drove Tammy back to the house.

"Is this genuine? I don't want Tanya being dragged into some daft scheme?"

"It's genuine all right and I think it will come off. The company wants to do some serious business up here, Sarah's Boutique is their only outlet for a hundred mile radius at the moment."

"Is that going to mean less trade for Sarah?"

"No Sandy, it's potentially having existing stores in the region buying from this supplier but Sarah might also have the commercial advantage by being able hold most of the collection and supply other stores special orders, especially the islands, from her stock."

"So some wholesale as well as retail."

"Yes, interesting times for her."

"Great, Tammy. How's Elsie?"

"She's looked and sounded fine so far this weekend but I still don't know what the prognosis is."

"Okay, I'll come up and see her in the week if she's not fit to come down to the salon."

"I'll let her know, what day as you thinking of?"

"Wednesday as I close at one."

"Okay. Thanks for the lift."

"Bye."

Tammy firstly went to her room to use the bathroom before heading down to the sitting room.

Cathy and the twins were sat with Elsie but otherwise all was quiet. They did, of course, want to hear from Tammy about the meeting, Alison saying that she was expecting they would still be in Thurso for the fashion show.

"I would have thought you'd be back in London by next weekend, or the week after at the latest."

"We've taken a sabbatical so we can be here, with our aunt."

Tammy was becoming concerned, Elsie seemed to have come through the surgery intact and had been seen sporting a smile for the first time since December.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, Elsie, but what did the doctors say?"

Elsie looked first at Cathy, who nodded, before turning back towards Tammy.

"I have six months, maybe less."

up
419 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wheres my hanky!!

I didnt want to hear that last line, sniffle!

Very sad to hear that from

Very sad to hear that from Elsie, but then again doctors have been known to be very wrong in their prognosis. Had an Aunt who was given two weeks and actually lived another 20 years. Doctors are using an averaging system when they make these types of statements. Some people wind up with much less time, others a lot more. I really hope that Elsie is one who will have a lot more time. She is such a lovely lady and very good for Tammy.

Oh b..

Podracer's picture

bother. The other side of life intrudes. Elsie may have the fortitude to face her future, she strikes me as that kind of lady. I hope she draws strength from having friends around, and shares it back to those who are going to struggle with this blow.

"Reach for the sun."

prognosis

The time vary on cancer because they simply do not know how fast it will spread. I had one friend they said she had six months to live and she was gone four weeks later.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Six months.

enb4448's picture

A devastating blow to those who are left behind, also a frightening proposition for the patient. Even those who believe in an afterlife will still worry if it will be a painful death.

It's A Dreadful Illness

joannebarbarella's picture

I hope that Elsie's time is a good time and that the final decline is short. My wife lived for two years after receiving her death sentence of "maybe a year". The chemo must have lengthened her life but it was a miserable time while it was being administered. After she decided that enough was enough she actually had quite a good final few months until the last 24 hours.
The problem is that you all know that the inevitable is hovering; you just don't know when. As I said, a dreadful disease.

Comment

Shiraz,
I have been reading your stories for some time now and really enjoy them. Always anxiously awaiting the next chapter/story.
Please keep them coming.
Sorry that I don't send you the compliments you so richly deserve, as I am always in a hurry and never get to compliment the writers who contribute so much good reading material.
Please take this as my appreciation for all your hard work, even if I don't say it .
Best regards,
J

Richard is going to be hit hard too,

Though is many ways it is much worse for younger people who have not had the experience with death.

Sharp tack

Jamie Lee's picture

Firing off relevant questions at Penny showed Tammy has had experience is this type of area. But did she catch the reference that Penny already has two local girls for models, Tanya and, Tammy. She hasn't said she'd model, but hasn't no either, even though the assumption has been made that she will.

Elsie being given that much time to live is going to hit a lot of people hard. It also might bring joy to those who would like to have her out of school business, so they can get on with their agenda.

Others have feelings too.