Sky Goddess Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version
Moon_Goddess_by_Silverayn.jpg

What would you do if one day someone asks you, "Do you want to be a god?" What will your answer be? What if you said yes but the god you become wasn't what you expected? Will you regret it?

Miki is now face to face with the meteor. No, literally, face-to-face. Got it? Ha! And she found out she's broke! What to do? What would Warren Buffett do in moments like these?

Sky Goddess Chapter 5
A story of adventure in a fantasy world.


By Shinieris

Miki looked at the sky with her telescopic eyes. Far, but not far enough, a meteor entered the upper atmosphere. It was headed straight for the city.

"I'm a goddess, I can cancel magics, I think. Let's see. Dispel! Banish! Go back!" Miki cried with arms pointed towards the meteor.

It's not working!!! Miki mentally moaned in despair.

Looking around for ideas, her eyes fell on Farran. More specifically, her eyes fell on the amulet around his neck. She got an idea.

"Farran, give me Sariha's Amulet!" Miki shouted.

"Whose amulet?"

"Your mother's amulet!"

"Oh, okay. Catch!" Farran said as he threw his amulet at Miki.

His throw was way off the target, though. Miki had to catch it with her wind. Then Miki opened the item editor and modified it to grant the amulet 80% resistance to fire, water and air.

Then she opened the item editor for her toga, and again, what came out were hundreds of item windows. "Where the heck am I going to start from?" she asked herself.

Miki swiped the windows one by one, sending the irrelevant ones to the back. Eventually, she came across one with the word 'Resistance' as the window's title.

Physical Resistance = 35%
Arcane Resistance = 30%
Wind Resistance = 30%
Fire Resistance = 10%
Water Resistance = 10%
Earth Resistance = 10%
Curse Resistance = 55%
Mind Resistance = 90%

Alright, everything to 80%

The moment she was done, she closed the item editor and flew towards space. Staying in the path of the meteor, she raise her hands in front of her, covering it in a thick bubble of air. She believed this would be enough to hold off the meteor.

Unfortunately she was utterly and totally wrong.

The meteor hit her like a tonne of bricks, smashing against her with a force 10 times stronger than the largest thermonuclear device ever used. It was suffice to say that instead of stopping the meteor, the meteor delightfully bitchslapped Miki.

The flames from the meteor singed some of Miki's hair, but being a goddess, she regenerated it almost instantly. Unfortunately, Miki was now stuck to the face of the meteor, lying spread eagled, face forward against the meteor's face. Forget the people on the ground, Miki couldn't even save herself.

"Goddamnit! Somebody help me!" Miki screamed against the meteor.

"Ara? I didn't know you like meteorites that much."

"Miya!???"

"Whats up yo!"

"What are you wearing?" Miki asked, looking at the red haired goddess floating in mid-air wearing black baseball cap with a single letter P sewn on it and a white jersey with the words Pirates on it.

"I'm a baseball fan."

"This is what you're busy with?"

"Hey, don't judge! I deserve some time off. I haven't had a vacation in over two decades."

"Nevermind that, can you help-"

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? CATCH IT PROPERLY, YOUR PUSSY!"

"Umm, is it a bad time?"

"Hm? Oh no, sorry, that little bitch's just new. I shouldn't have gotten so angry. What was it you wanted to say?"

"Can you help me with this-"

"FUCKING HELL, MAN! WHERE ARE YOU THROWING? COACH, FIRE HIS ASS!"

"Hello? Focus on me, please?"

"Oh right. What's the problem?"

"Uhh, I don't know if you realize it but I HAVE A BLOODY MASSIVE METEOR ON MY FACE!"

"Oh that problem, that's kinda tricky. What do you think, Aya?"

"Aya?"

"I personally believe that it depends on the person."

"What the heck does that mean?" Miki said as she turned to look at the floating Aya. Thankfully Aya was still wearing her toga, which meant that she wasn't on vacation.

"Well, first you must understand. What is it that makes meteorites so darn destructive?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, is it the mass, is it the speed, or is it the flames caused by friction with the atmosphere? One must know the reason or the cause, and from there, one can determine the outcome or the effect."

"I'm not here for a philosophy lesson! Help me!"

"Get out ball! Get out ball! Woohooo!!!" Miya shouted suddenly.

Aya frowned.

"Just chip the meteor off little by little. The destructive power of the meteor comes mostly from its mass more than its speed. While trajectory matters, the mass is most important. For example, a meteor composed primarily of dust is harmless and burns away before people can notice them. A meteor that is 200 meters in diameter simply burns off in the atmosphere before it can reach the ground, so it's harmless too. The problem is massive meteors of over 1 kilometer in diameter. If you can reduce it to less than 100 meters, no harm will happen."

"How big is this meteor in diameter?"

"6 kilometers."

"And you want me to chip this off little by little?!!!"

"All the best. Fight!"

"Fuck you, Aya!"

"I can't help you other than giving you advice. I'm not the fighting type."

"Yeah, if you fight Aya, you will probably win, Miki."

Aya pushed her glasses up with her fingers. "I seriously doubt that."

"Andrew, I love you! I want your babies!" Miya suddenly shouted.

Both Aya and Miki frowned.

"Hey Miya, a little help?"

"Hm? Oh fine, my worshippers are praying to me anyhow. I'll give you some Faith."

"Why don't you just send me a storybook and tell me to read the meteor a story before bed?"

"I don't follow..."

"Sending me some faith? That's like you're saying "I'm giving you my moral support!"

"Big sister Aya, don't tell me you didn't teach her anything..."

"I taught her all the basics," Aya said while averting her eyes.

"Oh? All the basics except currency, which is THE most important?"

"I guess that probably slipped my mind."

"Eh... what currency?"

"Faith!"

"What's faith got to do with anything?"

"It's got everything to do with everything! It's how miracles are performed, it's our source of power!"

"In what way?"

"How did you fulfill wishes thus far?"

"I just did as they asked."

Miya buried her face in the palm of her hands. "I bet you didn't keep track of how much Faith you used and how much Faith you have left, didn't you?"

"How do I check?"

Miya groaned. "You can call up a visual representation of how much Faith you still have with your imagination. My visual representation is in the form of baseball stars."

"I got 2077 Faith," Miki said once she called up a numerical counter. If one Faith is one dollar, I've got a lot.

Surprisingly, they both sighed.

"Okay, let's see here. Lets assume that for a fireball, a human mage will use 50 mana, while demon will use 10 mana if the size and intensity of the flame is the same. You got me so far?" Miya said.

Miki nodded.

"We can use fireball too. Except for the same fireball, we use 100 Faith. So you got 2000 Faith, how many fireballs can you throw?"

"20?"

"Correct! But here's a problem, mortals can drink mana potions and they'll hit you with double that many fireballs. As for you, once you've thrown those 20 fireballs, you're done. Good game. There's no such thing as a Faith potion."

Aya added. "Faith increases slowly. It increases when your followers pray or worship you. It increases a lot more when your followers perform sacrifice, with more Faith being given for sacrificing things your worshippers consider precious. Your most basic income is from worshippers who don't pray but considers you important in his or her life. If you continously cast miracles, you will disappear, because your Faith will go to minus, unless if your worshippers pray at the last minute and allow you to regain your form."

Miya continued. "Everytime you use miracles, blessings or any of your godly powers, you expend Faith. This doesn't mean you continuously work in the red. If your miracle fulfills a wish, you get some of that Faith back from your followers in addition to whatever Faith you got from them praying to you. If you make a miracle where nobody sees and nobody cares about, you're just wasting your Faith. Same goes if you fulfill a wish by a nonbeliever. In other words, you're supposed to choose who to grant wishes to. The more devoted the worshipper is, the more likely that the Faith you gain from that person be greater if you fulfill that wish."

"That sounds stingy. And what's this blue number next to my Faith number, though?"

"While I'm not seeing what you see, I believe that's the number of Faith you got from active prayers," Aya said.

Faith = 2112 +18 +3

"Oh, it's increasing quite fast." Miki remarked.

"Big sister, why don't you tell her your current Faith and how much it increases per minute."

"For the record, I have approximately 2.6 million Faith and my passive income is 145 Faith per minute. I get a lot more income during exam periods."

"My total current Faith is 29 million, and my total income is 23000 Faith per minute. My Faith per minute is twenty times higher than your total Faith."

"When you first arrived here, you were given 100,000 Faith. You've squandered it all in just a couple of weeks. If you had not been spending like Paris Hilton, this meteor wouldn't be much of a problem," Aya said.

"Okay, I'm sorry for spending my money like Paris Hilton, but can't you guys do something? While we're here talking, the meteor is getting closer to the ground!"

Aya and Miya both looked at each other, until Miya said, "I guess she hasn't realized..."

"It seems so..."

"What? What? What have I not realized?"

Aya sighed. "Have you not noticed that the wind, the flames and sunlight have stopped moving? Have you not noticed that we're the only noise around?"

Miki looked around. "Oh, you're right," Miki flew a few feet back, "Even the meteor has stopped. Is this time magic?"

"Correct, I'm the only one among the sky goddesses who can use this magic freely," Aya explained.

Miki fired a sharp flow of wind at the meteor.

"There's no effect. Even the flames aren't affected."

"Of course. When I say time has stopped, I don't mean it stopped artificially. Right now, even death has stopped. So if anyone wants to stop time and then use it to kill someone, it won't work. Time doesn't work that way. You will have to destroy the meteor in real time."

Miya then said, "I'm giving you a loan of 1 million Faith. Use it in the way Aya told you to."

"Thanks..."

"It's a loan, got it? Which means you'll have to pay me back. Don't take too long, understand?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Get ready now," Aya said.

"Get ready for what?" Miki asked right before the meteor smashed against her face again.

"Alright, let's see what this 'Faith' thing can do. Let's go with 20,000 Faith. Miki Punch!" Miki cried as she punched the meteor with a fist impregnated with 20,000 Faith. She made a small crater at the center of the punch.

"Okay not enough. Miki Punch 200,000 Faith!" Miki tried again, this time causing cracks that spread throughout the entire structure of the meteor, causing small pieces to chip off and separate from the main body. It eventually burned off in the atmosphere.

She tried it a few more times until all that was left was the main piece at less than 200 meters. Unfortunately, she took too much time. Both Miki and the meteor was almost to the ground. Something must be done.

"Let's see. 30,000 Miki Jump!" Miki cried as she kicked off the surface of the meteor and with the help of gravity, gained a little distance from it, before she took her next move, "Alright, this is all the Faith I have. Now or nothing. Miki Kick!"

Miki did a fast and powerful bicyle kick, effectively changing the direction of the meteor and giving it several more seconds of airborn time. What a blast! The kick caused the meteor to fly so far towards the southern seas. What spectacular save from the legs of player Miki. Her manager will be proud of that kick. They'll be talking about this in the footy circle for years!

"Muhahahahahah! This is real football, bitch! Not one of those pansy American Footballs! Muhahahahahaha! Ha?" Suddenly Miki noticed that she started falling and she screamed.

Bam, boom, bam, blarp, splash!

In her fall, she kept hitting many things, which helped break her fall... and her back.

"Owww..." Miki moaned in paid when she tried to get up from the crack marble floor.

"You did a great job back there, Mickey."

"Huh? Who?" Miki got up with difficulty, only to see the man she knew from her world sitting on a piece of fallen beam. "Uncle Albert?"

"The one and only!"

Miki crawled unsteadily towards Uncle Albert. Uncle Albert, misunderstanding her reason, opened his arms in preparation for an embrace. Instead, of a hug, he got a fist in his face.

"What the hell were you doing making me join that tournament in the first place, you old coot?! Do you know how tiring, annoying and painful that was? I got cut in two! I had to fight this celestial demon bitch and I had to beat up her pet meteor!" Miki grabbed the lapels of Uncle Albert's coat and shook him roughly, or at least as rough as she could in her weakened state.

"Do you know how that feels?" she shook Uncle Albert roughly again.

"Uh, well, I can imagine. But you may want to have a look at your hands."

"What's wrong with my hands?" Miki looked down at her hands and gasped, "It's transparent!"

"Here, drink this," Uncle Albert produced a large gold chalice inlaid with precious jewels and carved in reliefs of clouds, rain, naked women and some large birds.

"Is this Faith?" Miki asked, recalling Miya's earlier explanation.

"No, it's a solution that helps maintain your solid form for a time. It frees up your Faith upkeep so you can accumulate more Faith than if it has to also maintain your physical form. Now drink!" Uncle Albert said as he helped tip the chalice over so the liquid inside flowed into Miki's mouth.

Almost immediately, Miki felt a lot stronger. The lethargy she originally felt was gone the moment the liquid inside the chalice flowed into her throat. She drank more and more until there was almost nothing left inside when she heard a commotion behind her. She turned around without putting down the chalice and saw lots of people coming in through a cavity in the wall with the shape of a door..

Oh shit, am I in trouble? Only now she realized that she was inside some kind of a hall.

"Isn't that... Goddess Miki?" the toga-wearing old man remarked.

"Oh shit! It's these guys again! Am I back at Rownfelt?!"

"All hail Goddess Miki, she who brings rain, she who brings life, she who fought the meteor," the toga-wearing old men got down on both knees and lowered his head until his forehead and both palms was on the floor.

"All hail Goddess Miki." the others, about forty men and women followed suit.

"Uncle Albert, get me out of here. This is embarrassing!" Miki whispered while her left hand searched around for Uncle Albert.

"Uncle Albert?" Miki turned around, to see nobody there.

God damned it, Uncle Albert! Don't run away on your own! Miki cried silently.

"Have you come back to us, Goddess Miki? I am sorry but your temple is not yet completed. We have only started on the foundation and the main hall, but the rest of the temple is still nowhere near respectable. Please punish me if it will please you, my goddess."

Are you a masochist, old man? But this is strange.

"Didn't I leave you less than a week ago? How did you managed to do so much in such a short time?"

"It was all thanks to your blessings, Goddess Miki. Because of your blessings, huge slabs of marble felt no heavier than pebbles, old men were as strong as the young, women were able to make more filling meals and even the oxens were a lot stronger than before. Are you here to stay, my great goddess?" the old man raised his face with eyes full of expectation.

"No, I'll have to leave again soon."

"Oh!" the old man's face looked disappointed, "We were hoping to start a feast for you, Goddess Miki. Can you not stay for awhile longer?"

Suddenly the expectant faces of about forty men and women looked straight at her despite their prostrating posture.

Uuuu... she pressed her hands against the chalice as she balked under such a pressure.

"Hum?" she suddenly recalled the gold chalice that Uncle Albert gave her. What are the odds...

Name: Albert's Golden Chalice Type: Chalice
Quality: Divine Durability: 999/999
Properties:
Physical Resistance +100%
Wind Resistance +80%
Fire Resistance +50%
Water Resistance +150%

Now let's change this a little...

Name: Chalice of Golden Shower Type: Chalice
Quality: Divine Durability: 999/999
Properties:
Physical Resistance 100%
Earth resistance 70%
Wind Resistance 80%
Fire Resistance 50%
Water Resistance 150%
Special Effect:
Any offerings placed inside the offering while invoking the words
"Alleio marseelka obrieska mamerino faflarnaris offusia"
will be consumed and turned into Faith.
It can be used to cast the following spells (any extra will be given to Goddess Miki):
Temporary strength (10 hours) - 200 Faith
Minor healing (for minor injuries) - 200 Faith
Small rain clouds (10 meters) - 1000 Faith
Medium rain clouds (25 meters) - 3000 Faith
Large rain clouds (40 meters) - 5000 Faith
Thunder clouds (with aim-able lightning) - 10,000 Faith

Heh, Chalice of Golden Shower

"Uhum, in my place, I shall leave this chalice behind. Its name is Chalice of Golden Showers [snort]. Come here, head priest. I shall give you the knowledge of how to use it and its powers."

"We thank you very much for this boon, Goddess Miki," the old toga-wearing priest got up and walked towards Miki.

//Centuries from now, this story will be distorted so badly that Miki's story fighting the meteor will be renamed as "Miki and the Sky Monster". This spot will be written as the place where Miki landed for the first time from falling out of tiredness after fighting the powerful Sky Monster. It would tell of the temple growing out of the land like mushroom after a rain for being given the honour of being the place the Goddess Miki first set foot on. The same book would further tell that Miki single-handedly defeated a whole armada of pirates and slavers, freeing the slaves who would later settle near the temple. In the centuries that follows, priests and priestesses will deify the crater in marble where Miki fell to and use it as an altar to cure demonic or spiritual possessions. Farran's role in all this would be reduced to almost nothing. He would instead be replaced with a magical flying monkey wielding a sword and shield.//

******

"Ahahahahahah! This is the day, men! Err, skeletons! And zombies! And that death dragon over there!" a lich in rags, a sorcerer so well-versed in the arts of necromancy that he lost his mortal body, exclaimed as he stood on a pedestal.

"Today is the day that we, the Army of The Damned Bones march forth to the land of the living. Those puny humans imprisoned us here, on the Isle of Despair for they feared out power, our might, our relentless frenzy. With every soul that fall there's more to take our place. With every men they lose, they bolster our numbers even further. Today, the sand bridge rises! Today, I Lich King Joker shall lead us all to... what are you all looking at?"

All the skeletons, zombies and death dragons pointed at the sky behind the Lich King Joker at the same time.

The lich king, feeling curious, turned around. "Oh shit. Why the hell does this have to happen today?!"

For not far from them, a meteor was heading straight for the Isle of Despair.

"My undead friends. I guess this is goodbye."

That day, the Isle of Despair, where crypts of all kinds were built centuries ago to imprison the wicked men from harming the peace and harmony of the world, disappeared from the face of the planet.

 
 

 
 

*Finally, after over a month, I released another chapter of Sky Goddess. Thank you for those who encouraged me. All feedbacks are very much appreciated. Constructive criticisms help me write better. Praises helps me right faster, significantly. Thank you for reading.
**For info on the rest of my stories, please go here
***I still need more ideas for the next serial of The Half-Lilin. Please give me your opinions here

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

and i wondered when we see

and i wondered when we see some kame-hame-ha destruction :D

Turning Meteors into Faith

terrynaut's picture

Is that like turning lemons into lemonade? I think it kind of is. Nice.

I'm still loving the item editing. Please keep up the good work.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Thanks

shiinaai's picture

Thank you all for reading and giving me encouragements. I'll try to get the next one out quicker.

Item editing!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

The item editing makes it sound kind of like she in a game, and some ow has dev powers, or maybe a hacker! :p Either way it amount so a super power. I wonder is this just the way her Reality/Universes* work, or is it a simulation.

*(where "he" comes from and where "she" is at now)

It has been proposed by some that our perceived RL Is actually a game or simulation and we are all just characters in it.

Fun Story.
>i< ..:::

Loved this story.."The

Loved this story.."The reluctant Goddess " : )

alissa

That was awesome.

Hilarious ending with the Isle of Despair. hahaha!

This is gloriously awesome story. Just what I love with fantasy stories. Now that she know more, she should meet more people and trade for their faith. Then again, I doubt she will work too hard for it.

Giggling now.

WillowD's picture

"Oh shit. Why the hell does this have to happen today?!"