Among the Val Kyr part 34

Printer-friendly version

--------------------

The air was thin and stale, with hints of a foul stench that the air just wasn’t strong enough to support. There was a powerful feeling of everything being off somehow, much like what I felt in Val Halla, but much MUCH stronger. Then as I looked at the thick fog surrounding me in every direction, I knew without a doubt where I was. The Twilight Realm.

Only moments ago, I’d fallen through a portal that had been created by a daemonite ripper, and was then dropped onto the hard stone ground. As I got back to my feet and looked around, I saw no sign of the portal that had brought me here. That had brought US here. Nessa, the daemonite ripper responsible for this trip was lying motionless on the ground, looking as though she was either dead or unconscious. Jass, who’d been pulled through as well, was already on her feet and drawing her sword. Without hesitation, she started towards Nessa.

“Wait,” I exclaimed, feeling a moment of panic.

Jass paused, giving me a dirty look and demanding, “What?”

“We need her to get back,” I quickly pointed out, knowing that if I was going to get Jass to listen to me, I’d have to give her a good reason…one she wouldn’t just shrug off just because I was the one who’d given it.

Jass scowled at that and looked around. “We’re in the Twilight Realm. We should be able to find Val Halla…”

“Do you know where it is?” I asked doubtfully, gesturing to the fog around us. “Or how far? For all I know, it could be a thousand miles in that direction.”

For a moment, I was sure that Jass was going to argue with me, but then she shook her head. She didn’t look happy about having to agree with me. Instead of putting her sword away, she carefully brought it down and used the flat of the blade to tap Nessa’s shoulder. Nessa still didn’t move.

“Unconscious,” Jass said, which was a relief. If Nessa was dead, I had no idea how we’d get back.

“I overheard her talking earlier,” I said grudgingly. “She said she’d exhausted herself moving daemons…so I guess this just pushed her over the edge.”

“Wake up,” Jass exclaimed, giving Nessa a bit of a kick, though it didn’t do any good. After a few more ‘gentle’ nudges to try waking the daemonite, Jass looked at me and scowled. “You need a jatta.”

I nodded at that, thinking about my growing collection of injuries, which included broken bones that hadn’t fully healed yet, a nice collection of bruises and lacerations over much of my body, and of course a couple bullet holes. Thankfully I was Val Kyr, because if I didn’t have my enhanced constitution and healing, I’d probably be dead now…or at least in the process of bleeding to death.

“Or some bandages and pain killers,” I muttered.

With a grimace, I slowly looked at our surroundings again, noticing for the first time that there were silhouettes in the mist around us, shapes for buildings. I was a little started at that, but stretched out my senses as far as I could, which increased my visibility from about fifteen feet to fifty, though barely.

Now, I could make out that I was in some kind of courtyard, surrounded by stone walls and buildings. From what I could see of the closest one, they were in bad shape, little more than ruins. However, I also noticed a large structure just beyond the courtyard, though I could only make out a vague shape through the mist. It looked like a pyramid…one of the layered types from South America rather than the Egyptian ones I usually think of.

“Where the hell are we?” I muttered as I looked around.

When I’d first come to Val Halla, Lindrell had told me that there had once been other places in the Twilight Realm, other anchors and fortresses scattered about, created by the various gods. I felt a chill go down my spine as I realized that this might be one of those places, a long forgotten fortress. For all I knew, I might be standing in Asgard or Olympus…though from the nearby pyramid, I rather doubted it.

In spite of the fact that I was standing in the middle of what appeared to be ancient and abandoned ruins, I noticed one thing that didn’t fit with that. There was a beer bottle on the ground just a short distance away from me. In fact, as I looked, I saw other bits of litter scattered about. There was an empty water bottle, a candy bar wrapper, and even a tennis shoe. Obviously, we weren’t the only ones to come here, which shouldn’t have been a surprise. After all, we’d been brought here by a daemonite, so this may very well have been one of their bases.

I turned back to Jass, hating the fact that I was trapped here with her of all Val Kyr. Being trapped in the mist with no company except for Jass and a daemonite was like my worst nightmare come true. I was in Hell…literally. The only thing that could make it worse was if some daemons showed up to attack me while I was naked and unarmed.

“Do you see anyone here?” I asked Jass, knowing that as a kaern, her senses were even sharper than mine, though not by much.

With a shake of her head, Jass responded, “No.” But then she tilted her head a little as if listening carefully. “But there are a couple daemons at the edge of my limits…though they don’t seem to be coming this way.”

“Stragglers,” I muttered, thinking about all the daemons that had been shipped off to Earth. “It looks like they left a few behind.”

Jass gave me a suspicious look. “You know something.” It sounded almost like an accusation.

I nodded weakly at that. “Estrid is making her move. She pulled all those incursions to get the Val Kyr out of Val Halla...then she used our little friend here to send the daemons to Val Halla.”

For a moment, Jass had a look of skepticism on her face, though it quickly flashed through shock and horror. “Get up,” she snapped, kicking at the daemonite again. “Take us back NOW!” The daemonite still showed no signs of waking, much to the mutual annoyance of my unwanted companion and I.

“It looks like we’re going to be here for a bit longer,” I pointed out reluctantly. “We should probably look around while we have a chance.” I started to talk towards an open doorway, but after taking several steps my leg started to collapse beneath me. My injuries were taking a toll.

“Useless,” Jass muttered. Then she drew a dagger from her belt and tossed it to me. She gestured to Nessa, saying, “For her.” The meaning was clear. I was to stay and guard Nessa in case she woke up and tried to escape while Jass looked around. I nodded agreement.

Jass started for the same doorway I’d planned on checking out, not looking happy about having to go. I suspected that she was probably about as thrilled with being trapped here with me as I was with her. I felt a little satisfaction in that since if I had to be miserable, she should too. However, I did feel a small twinge of guilt for wishing any ill on her after she’d just saved my life…and possibly saved me from something worse than death.

“It looks like it’s just you and me,” I said as I moved over and sat down beside Nessa, keeping the dagger firmly in hand. I wasn’t too worried about her, but Jass had pointed out that there were daemons in the area too. I definitely didn’t want to run into one of them unarmed.

Just sitting still like that and resting was good for me, and I felt my strength returning a little. A jolt of jatta and a nice hot soak in the baths were what I really needed, but at least I was away from Estrid and that psycho binder. I shuddered at the memory, still not completely sure if he meant to rape me or eat me. He was proof positive that sharing headspace with a daemon was NOT good for your mental health.

When Jass returned, she unceremoniously dropped a small pile of clothes onto the ground in front of me, followed by a first-aid kit. “This is a daemonite camp,” she said gruffly. “Or at least it was. Everyone departed very recently.”

I grunted at that, already knowing where the daemonites had gone. Estrid was making her move against Val Halla, and it looked like she hadn’t left anyone behind. That was good news for us, because things would have been even worse if we’d found ourselves surrounded by a bunch of daemonites.

I cleaned up my wounds and bandaged the worst ones while Jass kept poking at Nessa, trying to wake her up. She finally gave up and sat down on the ground a short distance away, opening up some canned chili she’d found among the daemonite supplies and began eating. When I was finished getting dressed, I helped myself to a can of soup. I hadn’t eaten anything since well before my capture, so I was starving.

Jass and I ate in uncomfortable silence, each of us doing our best to ignore the other. Eventually, I noticed that she kept glancing at me, scowling as she did so.

“What?” I demanded, expecting yet another snide comment about how I was inferior or couldn’t be trusted.

For several long seconds, Jass just stared at me with an unreadable expression. “When they had you,” she started quietly, tearing her eyes from me and staring at the ground. “Did they…?”

I was startled by the question since that wasn’t what I’d been expecting. I was silent for several seconds before quietly answering, “No. It was only torture.” I gave a wry smile at using the word ‘only’ when referring to torture.

“Good,” Jass said, and I knew she didn’t mean it was good I was tortured. Neither of us said another word for a couple minutes, then she abruptly said, “Sorensen.”

“What?” I asked in surprise since no one in Val Halla called me by my last name.

“He saved my life,” she grudgingly admitted, making me blink for a moment until I realized that she was referring to my dad. Jass scowled, looking oddly conflicted about having her life saved like that. There was a long pause before she said, “He and Lindrell have some kind of past together… What do you know of it?”

I just stared at Jass in surprise since I’d thought that by now, all the Val Kyr with us would have heard about it. However, Jass obviously hadn’t been told all the details, perhaps because the others knew the kind of issues the two of us had.

“They were married,” I finally answered, trying to keep my voice calm and even. “They had a kid together.”

This time, it was Jass who gave me a look of surprise, which confirmed just how much she’d been left out of the gossip loop. “I assume it ended because he couldn’t deal with her bring Val Kyr.”

I shook my head at that, wondering why I was bothering to tell any of this to Jass. It certainly wasn’t any of her business. However, I could see that she was curious about Dad, which I suppose was understandable considering the fact that he’d saved her life.

“Daemonites tracked her down,” I explained grimly, “and a daemon bit off his leg.” Jass gave me another look of surprise. “She returned to Val Halla to keep the daemonites away from her family.”

Jass bowed her head faintly, then quietly asked, “And do you know what became of their child?”

“He was disemboweled by a daemon,” I answered in a flat tone as I stood up and looked around our surroundings again. Jass let out a faint gasp at that. Without looking at her, I quietly added, “And then he became Val Kyr.”

I could feel Jass staring at my back in realization, though I made sure not to look at her. Instead, I stretched my senses as far as I could, trying to take in as much as I could of our surroundings. I did this as a distraction from the conversation more than for anything else.

Then I noticed something and looked down at Nessa. “Our ride home is starting to wake up.”
“Good,” Jass said, seeming just as relieved for the distraction. “I’m tired of being here.”

After a little ‘gentle nudging’ from Jass, Nessa woke up and stared us with a look of hatred and fear. She tried to scramble to her feet, but Jass immediately had a sword to her neck.

“Take us back,” Jass ordered. “Now.”

“Fuck you,” Nessa responded with a sneer. However, Jass pressed the blade against her neck just enough to get the point across. Nessa paled. “Fine…” She had a look of concentration on her face, but nothing happened.

“Now,” Jass repeated.

“I…I can’t,” Nessa blurted out. “I’m tapped out…” When Jass snarled and pressed the blade close against her skin again, she blurted out, “I’m too fucking exhausted… I need to recharge…”

“Then we’ll just have to keep you close until you can take us back,” Jass told her. Nessa gulped, obviously not liking the idea of being stuck with Jass’ sword at her neck the entire time. However, we couldn’t afford to let her escape, not while we were trapped in the Twilight Realm.

“Since our dead weight is now mobile,” I said, gesturing around us. “I’d like to look around a little.”

Jass nodded at that and the three of us started to walk in the opposite direction Jass had gone exploring in earlier. Since Jass had a sword to Nessa’s neck and I was moving slowly due to my injuries, we didn’t make very good time, but we were able to see a little more of this abandoned daemonite stronghold.

On the far end of the courtyard, we found something that immediately caught my attention. There were three familiar looking stone pillars, or at least two and a half. The pillars looked just like the anchor in Val Halla, though one of the pillars had been broken in half and destroyed. There was no hint of the blur in between them that would have marked an anchor still being there.

Jass and I shared a look, but neither of us said a word. This was just confirmation that at one time, this place had been much like Val Halla…and it had been destroyed, just as the daemonites might be doing to our home at that very moment.

Nessa seemed to realize what we were thinking, because she smirked and said, “By now, Estrid has your anchor…” Jass slapped her, knocking her to the ground. “You Val Kyr are done for… We’ve won.”

I glared at Nessa, realizing that we couldn’t keep going like we have been. Sure, having her walk with Jass’ sword at her neck would keep her from trying to escape, but all it would take was one trip, one time trying to attack Jass to escape, or even one daemon attacking us…and we could lose our ticket home.

“I want to try something,” I announced, going over to Nessa and reaching out for her.

“Don’t you fucking touch me,” she snarled.

“It’s either this,” I pointed out in a cold flat tone, “or Jass keeps holding her sword to your throat.” Nessa glared at me with a look of hatred but didn’t say anything.

With that settled, I reached out again and touched her forehead. I tried to remember everything that Ionne had taught me about this as I stretched out both my essence and my kaern energies, merging them and infusing them into the daemonite. I was careful to build the geis the same way my mentor had in the daemonite prisoner…and in Lindrell.

“I lay a geis on you,” I told Nessa in a firm tone. “You will not try to escape from us.”

“What did you do?” Jass asked, staring at Nessa in surprise. “You mixed essence and kaern…”

“I put a geis on her,” I explained with a sigh, feeling just as worn out as I had after healing Mr. Rosewald. “A compulsion.”

Jass stared at me with a skeptical expression. “Only Freya can do such a thing…”

“She’s the one who taught me,” I pointed out, reminding her of who my mentor was. “It’s an old atra trick.”

“And she will not try escaping?” Jass asked, staring at Nessa with a skeptical look.

I shrugged at that. “Not if I did this right. It’s the first time I’ve ever made a geis.”

“Then make her obey all our commands,” Jass told me. “It may be useful having a ripper in our service…”

Nessa stared at me with a look of fear as she realized I might be able to actually enslave her. However, I shook my head, then admitted to Jass, “It doesn’t work that way. A geis can only give a single command…or forbid one. If I try making it too broad or general, it won’t take…and I can’t give her any other geis either as long as she has this one. At least, that’s what Freya told me.”

Jass grunted at that, obviously disappointed, though Nessa was clearly relived. She was also relieved to find that she was allowed to walk on her own after this, without a sword being constantly held to her neck. However, our daemonite prisoner didn’t show any gratitude for this. Instead, she kept muttering insults about the Val Kyr as we walked around.

Most of the ruins were just that…ruins, but we did find more signs of daemonite activity. There was an area they’d converted into outhouses, what was obviously a kitchen area, and there was a trash pile, large enough to show that the daemonites had been here for years. And through all of this, there were plenty of signs of daemon activity as well.

After awhile, Jass froze and said, “There are a couple daemons coming in our direction…”

“Good,” Nessa responded with a smirk. “They’ll tear you fuckers to pieces… You’ll pay for murdering my friends.”

“If the daemons find us,” Jass threatened, pointing her sword at Nessa’s throat. “You’ll die before we do.” Nessa paled at that.

“Are you recharged enough to take us back?” I demanded.

“No,” Nessa started, though I was sure she was lying…as was Jass who took a step closer to her. “Fine… I might have enough built up to make a small portal…”

I nodded faintly at that, pretty sure that she’d been planning on keeping that bit of information to herself. If she found an opportunity, she might have attempted to use a portal to escape, in which case she probably would have found that she couldn’t even go through it without us. Or maybe, she’d just planned on holding off, on keeping us here long enough for daemons to arrive and kill us for her.

“Even if you do get back,” Nessa announced, “It won’t do a bit of fucking good. It’s too late… You bitches are finally going to pay for what you’ve done.”

“For what we’ve done?” I demanded. “You’re the monsters who keep murdering innocent people…”

“They’re just humans,” she responded with a snort of disdain. “They’re soft and weak…prey. The strong eat the weak. It’s just nature.”

I stared at Nessa, horrified by her attitude. But of course, all daemonites seemed to be that way. She had been in daemon headspace, so she saw the way they thought and felt…and had picked up on it. In a way, I actually felt sorry for her, because whoever she’d been before becoming a daemonite was gone. Of course, she may have been a psychopathic bitch then too. I’d never know.

“You bitches are the real fucking monsters,” Nessa spat out furiously. “You murdered Bobby and Marcus… You’re the ones who’ve been keeping the daemons locked up here…for thousands of years. All they want is food, freedom and territory, and you keep them locked up as if they’re fucking animals…”

“Daemons are worse than animals,” Jass stated grimly.

“They’re nothing but monsters,” I agreed.

“You don’t understand,” Nessa snapped angrily, glaring back and forth between Jass and me. Then she suddenly grabbed my arm and exclaimed, “But you will…”

The moment Nessa grabbed me, I felt a surge of something rush into my arm and flood through my body. I let out a gasp of surprise and yanked my arm away from the daemonite, but it was too late. Whatever she was doing to me, she’d already done it.

Jass immediately had her sword at Nessa’s throat, demanding, “What did you do to her?”

“I just opened her eyes,” Nessa responded with an evil grin. She stared at me, looking surprisingly smug for someone who had a sword at her throat. “Let’s see you murder daemons when you can hear them…”

“Oh shit,” I exclaimed in understanding and horror.

“She’s turned you into a daemonite,” Jass hissed, glaring at me with a look of suspicion and pity. “I can feel the power settling in…”

“SHIT!” I repeated even more emphatically, using my senses to feel the foreign energies spreading through my body, trying to take hold. They hadn’t taken hold yet and I wouldn’t be a daemonite until they’d done that and transformed me. I grimaced, trying to remember what Estrid had said. Then before Jass could do something impulsive like ‘put me out of my misery’, I quickly blurted out, “Estrid said that this could be fought off…that you couldn’t become a daemonite unless you willingly accepted it.”

Jass seemed skeptical of that, and I couldn’t blame her. Any information that came from Estrid would have to be taken with a grain of salt, though in this case, I was REALLY hoping she’d been honest. In fact, was sure she’d been telling the truth. I refused to believe otherwise.

I wasn’t sure how to fight back against this infection of daemonite energy, but I tried pushing it away, tried willing my val to reject it. I felt it starting to happen, but the daemonite energy wasn’t going that easily. This wasn’t going to be quick and easy.

Nessa just grinned, not seeming to care that she had a sword at her neck. “It won’t be long, then you’ll see…”

“Shut up,” I snapped at her, knowing that if I hit her like I REALLY wanted to do, I’d probably end up breaking her neck. It took nearly every ounce of willpower I had to keep from doing that. It was bad enough being infected with this daemonite energy, but I refused to deal with that while being stuck here at the same time.

“I think you’re about recharged enough,” Jass snarled at Nessa. “Take us back…NOW.”

Nessa gulped, looking terrified again. She nodded and had a look of intense concentration on her face. The energies in my body seemed to respond a bit and I could feel what she was doing in an odd way. A moment later, the air ripped and tore, creating a portal.

“Come on,” I told Jass, grabbing Nessa firmly. “I’m not staying here a moment more.” And with that, I stepped through, dragging the daemonite with me.

up
399 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh dear

Didn't see this coming.

OTOH

Like most weird situations this can be an opportunity or a disaster. Since it is hinted at that she 'may' be able to understand the Daemons now, either it will lead her down the wrong road or she could be the first diplomat. Estrid does not count since she has her own vendetta. Could this be an opportunity to finally end this long and impossible war? It is a long shot, I know.

But where exactly is back

But where exactly is back going to land them? That is the question of the hour.

Interesting

I'm thinking there's something to the assertion about the daemons. After all, we don't actually know first hand what started the war in the first place. Everything we do know is filtered through at least two biases.

Who dunit?

My personal guess is that the whole thing started so long ago that neither side knows what started it or why.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Awesome

Dahlia's picture

This is now my favorite story in BC. Always on edge and inventive. Well written and thought out. Thank you so very much for the story and your time given to entertaining the unimaginative of us.

Dahlia

Of COURSE this would happen...

Definitely waiting 'til the story's finished to bother reading any more now, 'cause otherwise I'll probably blow a gasket.

Melanie E.

So that just happened

Tas's picture

And here we have an example of a story that has all of the plot twists. You think you know where things are going, but then the next chapter or two immediately proves you wrong. On the plus side, it's super interesting :)

-Tas

I already feared for Michelle

I already feared for Michelle to be infected much earlier than this - and now it happened.

I am curious whether her outlook will change now. Will she see the daemonites as fluffy unicorns and teddy bears now? Is there really any legitimate claim of the daemons? (I _somehow_ doubt it, but I could be surprised, right?) And is there any hope that the Val Kyr can retake the ruined stronghold, turning the endless war around?
Oh, the suspense.

Morpheus

What a story is all I can say. I thought it was interesting before this chapter but now I think this is becoming very close with Harbinger as my favorite story of yours.

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

this story is never dull,

this story is never dull, thanks, great read

oopsie

BarbieLee's picture

Nessa did it now. Michelle has all the abilities of a Val Kyr plus the abilities of a center. Tie all that in with the abilities of a ripper which she was was infused with. Nothing like giving the gift of your own destruction to your enemies. I was wondering how Morpheus was going to salvage his heroine after tossing her to the demons.
For those who believe Michelle is now demon infused think of it this way. A sword is not evil nor good but it can be used either way. It is the one who handles the sword and subjugates it to their will determines if that sword will save lives or take lives. Speaking in the abstract, believing she was dooming her, Nessa gave Michelle a sword of life or death. Another one of the gifts of ESSENCE from the Gods the deamonites have been misusing. Now it's Michelle's turn to show how it should have been used.
Even if I'm wrong. Which Morpheus always does to me. This is really beautiful story telling as he draws us in with his actors and actresses.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

It will be interesting

if Micheal can harness the energy without being corrupted by it.

Well . . .

This creates an interesting twist. I wonder if this will turn out to be the first step in a peaceful resolution to the war between the Val Kyr and the Daemons?

I agree with what BarbieLee wrote. Nessa has made a HUGE mistake

BUT there is a chance this is the key to stopping the war or at least offering hope of an enduring truce.

I forget is bitter/vindictive Estrid a damonite or not? Because if she is not then no one knows what damonite energy will do to a Val Kyr.

And atra are the rarest ValKyr so who knows what powers/abilities Michelle might gain if she can keep in control.

Plus I thought I saw hints that Nessa is questioning some of what Estrid and other damonites have done.

So can/will Michelle and co attack/defeat Estrid from behind her own lines or can Michelle bring about a peace?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Among the Val Kyr

Re: Barbie Lee's comment

Well, one nitpick. I don't think we know Michelle will gain a ripper's ability, if she lets the daemonite energy completely saturate her. If I understand it right, Nessa just infused her with the raw daemonite energy, and it's the individual's own genetic/essence makeup that determines what KIND of daemonite they are, same as Val Kyr don't know which pillar they'll be when they are infused with Val. So she might be a ripper. But I don't think they necessarily get the same power as the daemonite that infused them, so she could be something else too.

Re: John's comment

Yes, John, a chapter or three back, Estrid showed she's not only full Val Kyr (atra, like Michelle), but also daemonite. The kind that can channel the attributes of a specific (usually powerful, I'm assuming) daemon, even shape shift into its form and use its powers/attacks. She did say that she had to be infused twice, though, that the first time she expelled the daemonite energy, then the second time she willingly accepted it.

But your comment does bring up possibilities. An atra or "centre" is able to do things the other three pillars can't because they are able to mix the three types of Val essence, even if this also makes them a "jack of all trades (but master of none)" who can't do the more powerful uses of those essence types. But they can do geases (or geises as Freya calls them), and heal normal humans, and probably a few other things. Adding one of the daemonite powers to the mix may allow new powers no one has seen before.

I'm skeptical about a peace, at least from finding a new understanding with the daemons and everyone living in peace and tolerance for all, I really doubt it. The daemons are evil and see humans as yummy prey. But if they get the daemons on the ropes enough, they might be able to sue for some sort of peace treaty with cowboy diplomacy. Whether the daemons can be trusted to keep to the deal, however...

But I dunno. This IS Morpheus's story, and he has a well earned reputation for plot twists none of us thought of. Maybe something like, Michelle using her combined atra/daemonite power (assuming she doesn't expel the daemonite essense) to somehow contact the gods who set up these fortresses in the twilight realm (of which the Val Kyr seem to be the only surviving one) and asking them to come back and smite the daemons once and for all... Well, that would probably be too easy an ending, unless there was more to it than that, but you get the idea. Maybe she'll be able to contact some new, unknown group who can be powerful allies against the daemons, or she can tap into some new type of energy that would be an ideal weapon against them.

I like the idea about the Val Kyr being ousted from Val Halla, but setting up a new HQ in one of the ruined fortresses... maybe destroying their own anchor stone, or taking one of the pillars with them, and replacing the broken one in the ruins with it, and using that to call all the Val Kyr back to rally against Estrid and her forces.

Dang, I love this story...

Lisa

P.S. I just thought of something. I wonder if she can do a geis on herself. Maybe along the lines of "You cannot hear the daemons' thoughts, you will not empathize with them"... So she can use the daemonite power without having the corrupting influence of their daemonic minds.

The Ecology Of Daemons

I have actually wondered that at various points in this story. I wondered if this twilight realm has its own ecology, complete with food chain, and the daemons feed on some simpler, non-(or less-)aggressive organisms, which themselves may feed on the twilight realm's version of plants or bacteria... but they find humans tastier than their natural bland but nutritious food? Or do the daemons have their own "farms" where they grow food organisms in captivity?

Or are daemons like zombies in several zombie stories, where they don't need to eat to continue, but either have primal instincts to do so or gain something (extra vitality, say) if they do so?

Are the daemons even actual biological organisms with their own species of daemons with their own life cycle and niche in their habitat, or manufactured in daemon factories or by some asexual process? Is there some queen daemon laying all the eggs they hatch from? Some powerful being creating them with powerful magic or using its own essence to form them from raw chaos? Who knows. We'll have to see where Morpheus takes the story. :)

Lisa

Regular Val Kyr vs Atras

I see the difference of the three pillars of the Val Kyr vs an Atra this way: The Val Kyr are like three tools, a knife, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Tools made to do one job and do it well. The Atra are like Swiss Army knives, they have the abilities of the knife, the screwdriver, and the pliers, they just aren't as good at any single tool. But a specialized tool does no good if you are a knife and the job requires a pair of pliers.

Also, like a Swiss Army Knife, an Atra has other abilities the three pillars can't even comprehend. I think Michelle is like that Swiss Army Knife, and what she can do is going to astonish everyone.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

If

If Atra exists for val kyr, I wonder what the demonite equivalent is, wouoldn't it be funny if Michelle was both atra to val kyr and demonite? :D

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D