New Year's Resolution

Printer-friendly version

Author's note: This isn't quite a short-short story but it's not far off. We tend to write about the process of transition but occasionally it seems a good idea to think about 'what then?'

Susanne sat quietly, her legs curled up beneath her as she stared at the blank page in her notebook. The sofa, like her flat, was small but snug, but it was enough for her needs. She chewed absentmindedly on her biro wondering what to put down for this year. She had always been a compulsive planner. Lists, spreadsheets, timetables, research and more research; always afraid of missing something, of forgetting some tiny but critical detail. It had been part of her life since forever but for the last three years she had lived for those lists and plans.

Three years, seven months and nine days to be precise. At eleven forty two on a sunny May morning she had walked out of the gender specialist’s office in a daze, clutching her notebook to her chest as his words bounced around inside her head. “It’s clear you have a degree of gender dysphoria. We will need to work out exactly to what extent and decide on….”, the rest was lost in a swirl of random thoughts and emotions, dominated throughout by a single joyous silver thread. “It wasn’t all in my mind. Someone else can see it and believes it. Someone who understands these things!” Separately her hands had kept jotting down notes as he spoke and her head had bobbed at the right intervals but her mind had skipped off miles away as she started outlining her first plan.

There had been lots of plans since then and for three years she had sat in her little flat alone on this particular evening. For three years she had listened to the fireworks outside. And with each passing year she had made herself promises. So many pennies saved for electrolysis, so many pounds saved for surgeries, so many pounds to be lost to achieve a figure.

And in each year there had been ups and downs. Overcoming the terror of admitting to others that she was transgendered, only to find most people didn’t really give a damn. The joy of a new outfit, only to catch an ill concealed sneer or supposedly funny remark from some little toe rag from the nearby housing estate. The dreary corrosive trudge through the divorce courts. All these and more had happened and yet, throughout it all that tiny silver thread had run ahead. It had given her focus in the dark times and had blossomed in the light when she realised how far she had come and how everything started fitting better, or more accurately feeling better, in her life until at last the final hurdle was reached.

Susanne really hated surgery. Her nerves had never been about whether or not it was the right thing to do (she had known that within minutes of walking out of the specialist’s office). Nor were they about the outcome (her research had been painstaking). It was just, she just hated surgery.

A month later she knew exactly why. Recovery was a bitch! However, with each passing day Susanne got better, her fitness returned (although she noted on one of her spreadsheets that she had put on more pounds than she had planned), she returned to work and steadily got back to normal. But something was wrong, more importantly, something was missing.

That little silver thread had vanished. It had been her internal light, her constant, for all this time and now it had gone and for the first time in three years, seven months and nine days Susanne had no plan, no list of things to accomplish. So here she sat, staring at a blank page with a slight frown as the top of the pen suffered more damage.

Finally, the frown left her brow and with a small smile she started writing.

Stop being transgendered, start being a woman.

She paused for a moment, thinking, although the smile didn’t leave her lips. Then Susanne started to add a neat list of sub objectives and target dates.

Starting with next year's Christmas card list. She had always been a compulsive planner.

© Persephone 2014 (just)

up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

one line

A short story. And one short line speaks volumes about living ones life as it is dealt to you.

DJ

Wise

littlerocksilver's picture

An excellent idea.

Portia

Wonderful

Just wonderful, living life as a woman.
Hugs
Heather Marie

Nice to know....

Andrea Lena's picture

....what I might face when I'm seventy-two.... sigh :(

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Starting over.

Every one of us has a construct and deconstruct revolving around our life issues, every one of us a different strategy. The vital factor is that we develop our OWN processes and tools to get the job done. Listen to advice - yes, heed what warnings are given - but, see where others have failed - then carefully go forward for the road is strewn with traps, pitfalls and disasters. Even at 'road's end' it is not always what we expected it to be, nor is it always what we'd hoped; we have to do what we can with the cards we've been dealt.
Planning helps for it is a vital part of preparedness.
Happy Christmas for 2015 'Susanne'
Bev. x

bev_1.jpg

I am in that boat

almost. If the f*****g surgeon hadn't messed up my operation I would be so there.

Having said that what has been done can not be undone. I am indeed a woman now. It can be very euphoric.

Loved this

A wonderful resolution!

Reality

Reality can be a bitch. It can also be a blessing.

Since there is no magic pill and loving mothers who are thrilled to see their little boys grow up to become little girls are not near as common as some people would like to believe, transition from one gender to another is difficult, costly, and traumatic. To obtain this goal, all too often the person transitioning set their sights on that goal to the near exclusion of all else. The end result of this is that when all is said and done, when surgery and the protracted period of recovery is but a memory, the person all too often wakes up one morning and asks the question, "Now what?"

As my Anglo-Irish co-conspirator has so eloquently pointed out, the answer is simple. Either get on with your living your life as you once only dreamed of, or pack up your kit and slink away to the Transgender ghetto.

Your call.

Nancy Cole
a.k.a. HW Coyle

The Transgender Ghetto by Donna Rose

http://www.donnarose.com/Transgender_Ghetto.html


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

Nailed IT

BarbieLee's picture

"Stop being transgendered, start being a woman."
No long discussions nor lengthy speeches can explain it any better.
Hugs persephone
Barb
Life is a gift, don't waste it wishing, live it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl