Tamara's First Christmas - Chapter 14 "Tammy's Fireworks"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's First Christmas - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Fourteen

 
 

"Tammy's Fireworks"

 
 
Tuesday 30th December 2014
 

Louise drove Tammy round to the Small's cottage to collect a reluctant Angela.

"Why should I do this if I'm not getting paid?"

"Well, when you fill in an application form for any job that deals with the public, what will you write against 'Relevant Experience'? Someone with experience has an advantage over someone without."

"Mum, is this true?"

"Yes dear, and I think it's a great idea - be sure to thank Sarah."

Tammy did wonder if Angela was really planning on spending the day surfing the web but Miss Small was now severely out-numbered. A minute later they were back in Louise's car and on their way into town.

It was mid morning and the shop was strangely quiet when Sarah asked for all her staff's attention.

"I need to do a bank run and I'd like some company."

Tammy analysed the situation. "Sarah, I'm happy to come along with you but Louise would have to be with me as well, that would leave Angela on her own?"

"I can't do that." Ever the positive from Angela.

"You've coped so far today, plus it'll only be for ten minutes."

"Sorry, Sarah, but I can't - I'll get something badly wrong."

"That's absolute rubbish, and you know it."

The door opened and one of the previous evening's officers walked in.

"Oh, have I walked in on a meeting of the women's guild, or is it the Thurso coven?"

If death by handbagging was legal in Scotland I'm sure it would have been used at that point on the Shinty player in a police uniform. Instead, a chorus of giggling had to suffice.

"Sorry officer, but we're working out our security detail for a trip to the bank."

"Well, I need statements and I can't do that if you've gone to the bank, so I'll accompany you there and make certain you come straight back." He pointed at Angela, "you can join us, to make up the numbers."

A minute later Tammy and Louise were on their own.

"Tammy, what do you have planned for New Year's Eve?"

"Nothing at the moment, but Elsie apparently throws a party at the house."

"It's not happening this year."

"Oh, something to do with how Elsie is at the moment?"

"Yes, she doesn't want the stress."

"Well, we need a party invite!"

Within ten minutes the security detail had returned from the bank. PC Neale Fraser started taking the three statements, using the storeroom where he could speak to all of them individually. He then asked for the footage from the shop's security cameras, which showed James Dougal leaping out of the shadows at Sarah.

"That will do nicely."

 
Wednesday 31st December New Years Eve 2014
 

Tammy and Angela were again helping Sarah at her shop but Tammy had nipped along the lane to Sandy's Hair Salon to speak to her ticket agent. Louise had tagged along.

"But Tanya, there must be something you can do?"

"There are no tickets left anywhere, Tammy, we bought ours in September and the party could have been sold out several times over."

"Damn."

"Look, there's another under-25s party at the golf club on Saturday night, I know tickets are still available so come along to that one."

"Okay, Angela might want to come this time plus her sister arrives in town on Saturday."

"Right, that makes four of you including Louise. It'll be sixty pounds, can you pay me today?"

"If I can get along to an ATM, otherwise Friday? We'll need our hair done on Saturday."

"I'll check with mum when she gets back from the bank, but be down here at lunchtime Saturday unless you hear otherwise."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye."

***

Sarah had shut the shop at four as the trade dwindled away to nothing, the girls made a dash to the bank and supervised whilst Tammy took a hundred from the machine, after Sarah dropped two days worth of takings down the chute.

No sooner were they back at their respective homes than Tammy felt it necessary to call her friend.

"Angela, I forgot to ask, what are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing, as usual. We never did anything on New Year's Eve."

"Oh, I didn't realise."

"Why, what's up?"

"Elsie's cancelled her party and I can't get tickets for anywhere else."

"Are there any fireworks in the harbour? We could just see them from the cottage, if Dad hadn't already decided it was bedtime."

"I don't know, but I also have no transport arranged yet."

"It's an idea, I'll try the Thurso echo's website and you can find us a car and driver."

"Thanks, you get the easy job."

"I'm still learning this."

"How did you think of the newspaper so fast then?"

"Mum scribbled it down when she heard me mention fireworks."

"Bah! I'll call you later."

"Bye."

***

There was a definite cloud over the McPherson house at dinnertime, none of the staff were joyful and Elsie was so quiet she might as well not been there. Tammy knew better than to ask openly but exchanged a few glances with her father.

Once they started moving from the table, Richard guided his daughter into the study; Louise was left outside.

"Right, what's worrying you?"

"Elsie for starters but even the staff look dour."

"I've already said, Elsie has some medical issues right now and that's got her down. She couldn't cope with the party so it can't happen this year. Unfortunately the staff actually look forward to this party, despite the extra work, so it's affecting them too."

"I guessed it was something like that, but what is wrong with Elsie?"

"She doesn't want anyone to know right now, so please respect her privacy. She'll tell you and anyone else when she's ready."

"Okay."

"Now, what are you planning for tonight instead?"

"I couldn't get tickets to any parties but I'd like to see the midnight fireworks in the harbour, if there are any?"

"There are, I bet you will want a lift down there?"

"Yes, please."

"Sorry, but I'm keeping Elsie company and Joan is coming over."

"Angela is going to be with me."

"Well, maybe she can stay in your room tonight to keep things simple?"

"I'll ask the staff to sort that out. Is Joan staying?"

"Maybe."

"I'll take that as a yes, then."

"Don't be cheeky, young lady. Now, Angela's sister will be here Saturday lunchtime."

"I know, there's a party on Saturday night, I have tickets for four of us."

"Four?"

"Me, Angela, Suzie and Louise."

"You haven't asked Suzie or Louise yet have you?"

"No, but had to get the tickets now. It's at the golf club."

"Oh, is that going to be a problem?"

"I don't think so; definitely no taxi this time."

Tammy started crying, remembering the events of Christmas Eve.

"Tammy, it's alright. You don't have to go to the party."

"I must, I must do it!"

"Okay, but stay with everyone. You'll have to ask Louise yourself.

"Yes, Dad."

Richard opened the door and called Louise into the study.

"Tammy's just told me she has tickets for a party on Saturday."

"Okay, where is it, Tammy?"

"Thurso Golf Club."

"That's the same place as ..."

"Yes."

"I was leaving on Saturday."

"You were? When were you going to tell me?"

"Tamara Smart, Louise and I only discussed it this afternoon when you returned."

"Sorry, Dad, Louise."

"Anyway, if you can get me a ticket I'll come along to the party and leave on Sunday."

"Great, there's Angela and her sister Suzie too."

"A car-full, then?"

"Erm, yes."

"What else?"

"Are you busy tonight?"

"No, why?"

"I'd like to see the fireworks, Angela too."

"Can't you see them from here?"

"I don't know but we'd like to go down to the harbour."

"What time?"

"Nine or ten?"

"I was hoping for an early night."

"Pleeeze."

"Got you!"

***

Tammy's evening surprise was an email from her mother.

From: Tara Smart
To: Tom Smart
Cc: Richard Smart
Date 31 December 2014 18:50
Subject: Sorry
 
Tammy,
I'm sorry. I've been a fool but I've had time to think. I don't now blame you or your dad for what has happened to you but I should have seen the signs. I did find girl's things in your luggage when you stayed during the summer holidays but I thought it was some girlfriend's things, I had no idea how you felt. I guess it's not a fetish either. Your aunt Wendy, my sister, has helped me see beyond the headlines.
 
It was a shock seeing any of you at the house as I wasn't expecting anyone to be there. I was stressed and wanted to be alone. I had anger towards your father as I believed her was trying to do me out of what was mine. My solicitor tried to explain it to me but I sacked him, stupidly.
 
Please let me know if you have a new email address as you won't be using this one any more.
 
Your loving mother

Tammy read her mother's email, spotting that it had been copied to her father. She quickly sent a reply.

From: Tamara Smart
To: Tara Smart
Bcc: Richard Smart
Date 31 December 2014 19:08
Subject: Re: Sorry
 
Hi Mum,
It's good to hear from you. Maybe we can meet up again once everything is cleared up?
 
Tammy
 
btw this email is from my new address.

She also copied her reply to her father but not so her mother would know. It was a petty issue but her mum had been known to miss little things like that in the past. She'd now admitted to being a fool, a gullible fool at that. What was obvious was the lack of direct reference to the court case, Tammy had been careful in her reply not to mention it either as it was highly likely her mother's email account was being monitored.

A simple reply of "Well written" came from her father a few minutes later. Tammy guessed that she'd also written to him but that would have been about the divorce, Tammy was already too involved in that.

Her phone rang.

"Hello Angela."

"Hi Tammy, guess what?"

"No, I can't."

"Can't what?"

"Guess."

"Oh, anyway I had a letter today from Professor Roberts, mum's just given it to me. He wants to see me in Glasgow on January nineteenth."

"That's a Monday, what time?"

"Ten."

"Best book a hotel then."

"Why?"

"Glasgow from here? It's not 'just down the road'."

"I hadn't thought."

As usual, Tammy thought, cruelly. "Speak to your mother, she'll be seeing my father later."

"She said something about me staying with you tonight?"

"Yes, Louise will take us down to the Harbour, your mum and my dad are staying with Elsie."

"Okay, I think I'll see you in an hour."

 
Thursday 1st January New Years Day 2015
 
"That was a good display Tammy."

"How many have you been to?"

"One or two, but this was the biggest."

"It wasn't too bad, but I've seen much better."

"Where?"

"Oh, London, Paris, Barcelona, New York ......"

"Show-off."

"Come on, Louise is waiting to take us back. Have I told you about Saturday's party?"

"Yes, but I can't, Suzie will be here."

"I have tickets for both of you."

"So do I have a choice?"

"No."

"When and where?"

"The golf club, from eight."

"Who's taking us?"

"I am," Louise was close enough, despite the crowds, to overhear their conversation, "but if you don't get a move on we won't get home before Saturday!"

It was clear to Tammy that Louise was no longer needed to provide close protection and was now being withdrawn just before she returned to St Andrews School, with the new term starting the following Tuesday. The previous day, Monday fifth of January, was when the funeral of George Small would take place. How that would affect Angela was difficult to guess, but right now she was gaining in confidence.

When they arrived back at the house an extra bed had been put in Tammy's room. As there was no sign of her father, nor Angela's mother, the two girls went straight to bed with sleep not far behind.

***

"Come on, Tammy."

"What?" She yawned loudly.

"This is the third time I've told you breakfast was waiting."

"Leave me alone." Tammy rolled over, away from Angela. A second later the duvet had been swept off the bed.

"Come on, get moving." Angela had wrapped a dressing gown around herself and was now padding out of the door in backless fluffy slippers.

It was another five minutes before Tammy arrived at the breakfast table, finding only Angela there.

"Where is everybody?"

"In bed probably."

"Eh? What's the time?"

"Seven thirty."

"Seven thirty on New Years Day?"

"What's wrong with that?"

"It's inhuman! We didn't get back here until nearly one this morning."

"In my day you might have been allowed to listen to Big Ben on the radio at midnight and off to bed a minute later, if you were lucky."

"Good morning Elsie, Happy New Year." Angela repeated Tammy's reply.

"Good morning to you both, I trust you enjoyed last night?"

"Yes, Elsie, but I think I would have preferred to have been here?"

"Ever the diplomat Tammy? No, I couldn't have managed the party so don't feel guilty."

The staff now brought coffee, orange juice and toast whilst checking what each of them wanted for breakfast. Elsie seemed to always have kippers, smoked herring, but Tammy wasn't keen on them as they tended to give her tummy trouble for the rest of the morning.

"I'll try kippers too," stated Angela. Tammy decided not to wind her up, but to keep upwind of her friend.

"I'll have the full English, I mean Scottish please."

That earned Tammy a quick glare from Elsie, who seemed to be a little brighter this morning than of recent weeks. Tammy gave her a little smile back.

They'd almost finished when Richard and Joan arrived at the table.

"Happy New Year to you girls."

"Happy New Year to you too." In stereo of course.

"Tammy, we need to discuss a few things about what we're doing this year. After breakfast please."

"Yes, Dad."

"Angela, we need to discuss Monday."

"Yes, Mum, do we?"

"Yes, I'll need you."

"Okay."

Tammy rose from the table, beckoning Angela to do the same. "We'll get ourselves decent, are there any plans for the day we should be aware of?"

"There will be a buffet reception here starting at two."

"Thank you Elsie, come on Angela we need to plan your outfits for the day."

Angela hadn't brought any frocks with her for this one night stay but Tammy wondered if anything of hers would fit Angela?

"Try this one?"

"No way!"

"It stretches."

"Probably in all the wrong places! This won't do, Mum will have to run me home, she probably needs to choose a dress for herself."

"True. Anyway, do you reckon you'll get away with leggings around Elsie?"

"I have a smock I can wear, it's almost knee length."

"That will probably do." Tammy eased herself into a tartan skirt, almost a kilt, then a white blouse.

"Very smart, Miss Smart."

"Thank you."

There was a knock on the door, "Enter."

"Are you ready?"

"Yes Dad."

"Angela too, your mum's waiting for us downstairs."

They walked into the study, closing the door firmly. Richard was plainly running this meeting.

"Firstly, the funeral. We're leaving here at eight. Angela, you, Suzie and your mum will travel in the limo, Tammy you and I will travel with Elsie in the Range Rover. There will be a coach from St Andrews for any staff or students who want to attend."

"Okay."

Angela looked at the other three and just shook her head."

"I can't do it."

Her mum answered, "Angela, you must, for me. Regardless of anything else he was your father, and my husband. Suzie has already told me that she'll be with me even though she hadn't seen your father for three years."

"If Suzie can do it then I'll do it."

"Thank you."

"Tammy, Angela, the wake will be at the school but you don't have to attend it."

"Dad, we'll decide on the day, won't we Angela?"

"Yes, I suppose so."

Richard gave Tammy a look for that exchange but said nothing. Joan appeared to have missed it.

"School is back on Tuesday so I'd expect you both to be ready." The girls nodded. "Joan is starting work on Tuesday as well and will provide your non-academic support. Remember, she's Mrs Small in the school."

"Yes Dad." "Yes Richard."

"Now, accommodation. Suzie will stay here whilst she's in Thurso but we can't impose on Elsie for much longer."

"Angela, I know I get the cottage as part of the job, as your father did, but it's really too small for us now, especially if your sister was now willing to visit occasionally."

"I know mum, but what can we do?"

"Richard has an idea."

"Yes, but it's too early to say what it is, give me a few days to confirm details."

***

The afternoon reception went well, with many of Elsie's friends dropping in to see her. Cathy and David, were of course present but Tammy started to feel like a spare part when she hardly recognised anyone.

One exception were the Smiths, especially Tanya. "Got the money?"

"Blimey, Happy New Year to you too!"

"Tammy, I'm out of pocket."

"So will I be in a minute, come up to my room as I don't have any money on me right now."

Tammy beckoned Angela to follow, Richard saw the three girls leaving the room and just shrugged.

"Nice room!"

"Thanks, but it sounds like we won't be here for much longer."

"Oh, leaving?"

"No, just relocating in Thurso. I'll still be around."

"Good, unless you're going to moan about paying me?"

"No, here's the sixty you wanted. Angela, you and Suzie both owe me fifteen and I'll get the other fifteen off Louise."

"Here's the tickets, can I use your bathroom?"

"Sure, over there."

"Angela, I'll miss this place. It's only been two months but it really feels like home."

"I can't wait to get out of the cottage, too many dark memories."

up
420 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

still that african beastie in the room!

Hope we get to sort out the new deputy head, Yvonne I think was her name and learn of her problem with our girls.

a happy new year?

we can hope they have one, but there is some sadness to get through first ...

DogSig.png

Tammy seems to have a real

Tammy seems to have a real attitude problem when it comes to Angie sometimes

Well on the surface it seems

Well on the surface it seems like things are starting to come together for Tammy, Angela, Richard and Joan. I just hope it stays that way and nothing from any of their pasts comes up to haunt them. Especially any old 'family members' like Elsie's brother.

All Very Domestic

joannebarbarella's picture

Is this the lull before the storm?

I assume Richard has been doing some homework on getting a dezrez sorted for Tammy and himself and perhaps Joan and Angela, and naturally some staff to look after them. I wonder how Tammy will accept Angela as a step-sister since she seems to be a bit snippy with her.

And then there's the dragon-lady of a Deputy Head who seems to have taken a dislike to Tammy and apparently has a reputation from her previous school. She will have to be sorted out.

(sigh) So much to wait for.

Guess you caught up?

I'm surprised it took this long to find somewhere for the family to live. They will need to have guest rooms too.

Making plans for others

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy seems to have caught Elsie's bad habit of making plans for others before consulting them. She also acts like Elsie if others don't comply or agree with her decision.

George is still influencing Angela because of how much control he exerted on Tim. When going to bed, who he could associate with, where he could go and only if a parent was present, and that is still being done to Angela by Tammy. Maybe not as severely, but she is making decisions for Angela. As shown in Sarah's shop, when it was suggested Angela could hold down the fort, Angela's self confidence is in the loo.

Someone, besides Tammy, needs to take Angela under their wing and help her rebuild her self confidence. Work with her to help her begin to make her own decisions and see that she is able to handle herself in many different situations.

After how George treated both Joan and Tim/Angela, it's a wonder they are even having a funeral. If more so that Suzie is coming for it too. Experience says there is still a lot of pent up anger after years of such treatment. But all three were family to George.

A question pops up asking who will be the one to make a scene at the funeral and accuse Tammy of George's death? No one told him to kill himself so Tammy is not responsible for his actions. My muse says Yvonne is the like candidate to go off the deep end. My muse also says Yvonne is related to George somehow.

Others have feelings too.