Tamara's First Christmas - Chapter 10 "A Party invitation"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's First Christmas - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Ten

 
 

"A Party invitation"

 
 
Monday 22nd December Continued
 

Richard phoned the pilot, who had actually been airborne as soon as fuelling was completed, to confirm the landing zone had been approved. Somehow all of this had been achieved without attracting much attention from the other travellers.

That changed three quarters of an hour later when the helicopter touched down right in front of the bar. Staff then arrived to escort the 'Smart' group to their aircraft. There were some raised voices in the terminal when a few realised there must have been a 'special arrangement'. Staff simply had one answer, the one given to them by John Cooper, "Mr Smart owns the helicopter, but you can charter it for £3500 for two hours".

Those flying on £50 super-economy tickets sat down and pondered their next move, just a few days before Christmas. There was still no further information for the restoration of anyone's flight.

A few minutes later they were being strapped in. This would have been Joan's second ride but Angela was a helicopter virgin. She was scared and elated in equal quantities, but scared was beginning to be the dominant factor.

Any protest was irrelevant once she was firmly strapped in and the rotor started. Tammy and Richard both donned the headphones that were available in the passenger space so they could hear the pilot's interactions with the Edinburgh Tower. Finally they were airborne and quickly turned to the north, rapidly gaining altitude.

Tammy's last news update before they departed was that the damage to the National Air Traffic Control systems in the UK and Netherlands was being formally treated as a terrorist attack. No group had yet claimed responsibility.

Joan and Angela fell asleep for the flight, despite the background noise. Richard had asked that the pilot exceeded the normal cruising velocity, "just to get us back indoors sooner".

Finally, at six o'clock on Monday night, Richard and Tammy walked back into the house they'd left seven hours earlier. One of the staff offered to run the Smalls back to their cottage, but not before a few issues came up.

"Richard, I appreciate that the holiday is now cancelled, but we hadn't left any fresh food indoors, I even poured the last of the semi-skinned away so I wouldn't return home to find a new lifeform that used to be milk."

"Well, why not have a snack here then take enough milk with you so you can do breakfast in the morning?"

"Thanks. By the way, where's Elsie?"

"I don't know." He called for Thomas, who was moving the returned luggage.

"Sir?"

"Do you know where Mrs McPherson is?"

"I believe you should call her daughter, Sir, she would be the best source. Should I advise the kitchen that you'll be eating?"

"Thank you Thomas, and yes."

Richard went into the study and called Cathy's number. Her husband, David, answered but Cathy was soon on the line.

"Hello Richard, I take it you're calling about mum?"

"Yes, because of the airport problems we've cancelled our trip and returned to the house. I just discovered that she's not here."

"No, she's with me, she had some tests at the hospital and it could turn into bad news so didn't want to be on her own."

Richard wondered silently if it might explain some of her recent grumpiness.

"Well, it looks like we're here for Christmas so can we discuss revising the plans?"

"I was just about to do some tea for mum, David and myself, I can run her back over in an hour if you want to speak to her?"

"Whatever suits you and your mum best? I've just asked the kitchen to rustle up four plates, I could make it seven?"

"I hadn't started preparing anything so give me ten minutes and I'll bring her over."

"Sure." Richard found Thomas again and brought him up-to-date.

He was worried; Richard had lost his business partner, Elsie's husband, some five years earlier. He knew that Elsie had been a bit 'off' for a few days but he was used to that with his, now ex-, wife Tara, he just hadn't guessed there could be a serious medical issue brewing.

Cathy took fifteen minutes to arrive and helped her mum from the car. Again, Richard was concerned, Elsie was usually very fit for a lady in her late sixties and normally very steady on her feet. Fortunately, Tammy and Angela were in Tammy's room unpacking and Joan was reading a newspaper in the lounge so there were no other witnesses.

Richard tried not to say very much to Elsie, she was plainly troubled - physically and mentally - until she was comfortably in her own home. Cathy was still walking with her mother and they suddenly turned to head up the stairs.

"Mum's going to eat in her room, she'll see you in the morning. I'll let the kitchen know."

"Okay Cathy."

There really was no point querying this, he joined Joan in the lounge where they sat quietly until their two daughters returned. The theme of the evening was indeed 'quiet' as they had exhausted most conversational topics during the day's aborted travels.

Cathy came back down as Elsie's meal was delivered and asked Richard to join her in the study.

"As you have guessed, Richard, mum's not well."

"I'd noticed that she's not been herself."

"Yes, she's been waiting for an appointment for tests. She was pleased when you were flying out as her appointment at the hospital was just after lunch."

"What's the tests?"

"This was the third round of blood screening in a week plus today they took several deep biopsies from under her armpits."

"I think I can guess as to what the tests are about. When's the diagnosis due?"

"Not until mid January probably, possibly earlier. She's pretty sore today and may be down for a few more days, it will take her a while to get back to near normal. In the meantime, Christmas will have to be re-arranged."

"What were the existing arrangements?"

"We decided yesterday that mum and Michael would come to us Christmas day so the staff could have the day off. Unfortunately we're not able to accommodate you and Tammy, please don't take that the wrong way."

"Of course not. I agree that the staff should be off on Christmas day, I'll talk to Joan about it."

"Maybe we can all reconvene here on Boxing Day at lunchtime?"

"Sounds like a plan."

Cathy left without seeing the others, who had now started to eat. He decided to leave the Elsie question until the following day, simply telling everyone that she was "tired".

After arranging for a jug of milk, Richard took Joan and Angela home but asked Joan to remain in the car so he could have a few words.

"Elsie's not well."

"I thought something was wrong, is it serious?"

"Potentially, however we need to organise Christmas day as Cathy has told the staff to take the day off."

"That's easy, you and Tammy come to us, bring sleeping bags."

"Are you happy doing that?"

"Of course, considering how much you do to me. How about the two of you come over on Christmas eve and stay until Boxing Day?"

"There will be a party at the house on Boxing Day so you'll have to come over for that. Now, tomorrow is the twenty third and your fridge is empty, we have one heck of a load of shopping to do."

Richard and Joan stepped out of the car and went to the rear to retrieve their airline luggage, noting that Joan's case had a fresh deep scrape right across it, that was something else to deal with tomorrow. Once everything was back in the cottage he asked Joan to come back to him, giving her a kiss.

As the front door was closed, Angela decided to pounce.

"Mum? What is..."

"He's just a friend, right. Anyway he and Tammy are staying over Christmas - starting Christmas Eve. In the morning you are going to clean this cottage from the top down!"

"Oh, mum!"

 
 
Tuesday 23rd December
 

Tanya Smith was on the phone to Tammy not long after eight in the morning.

"I'm so glad you're spending Christmas here."

"My first one, but you realise I should be at Brussels Airport right now?"

"Never mind, Brussels' loss and our gain. I didn't tell you about the party did I?"

"No, but I suppose I wasn't going to be here?"

"Exactly, it's tomorrow evening at Thurso Golf Club."

"Who's invited?"

"It's a ball for under twenty-fives."

"Sounds a bit formal?"

"The dressing up is fun. We do it every year once everyone's back from college, uni or wherever. I organised a ticket for you last night, you owe me fifteen quid."

"Thanks, I think. What about Angela?"

"I get the impression she might not be interested, anyway it was almost sold out and I didn't have her number. She's not on facebook, is she?"

"No, she doesn't have an email address either and isn't used to her mobile yet."

"She needs working on, anyway, I have squeezed you in at four tomorrow for nails and hair."

"How did you know? Oh, never mind."

"Thank me later.

"Will do, bye."

Tammy now looked at the notifications on her phone, which was in desperate need of a recharge. There were several text messages timed the previous night from Tanya along the lines of "call me", "party!" and "Call!! Me!!". She's persistent, that one.

She'd just returned from breakfast when her phone had rung, her father had come from the study and was heading straight back there after his toast. Elsie had appeared briefly but had eaten very little before heading back to her room. Tammy could sense something was very wrong but a glance and a shake of his head from her father warned her off. He was carrying that day's Scotsman newspaper which had a single headline:
 

Flights Hell - Who's Responsible?

 
Tammy decided to extend a party invite to Angela, regardless of the ticket situation, so called her mobile.

"Hello?"

"Good morning, sleepy head."

"Ugh, is it the middle of the night?"

"No, eight-fifteen."

"That almost qualifies."

"I've been invited to a party tomorrow night at the golf club, you want to come?"

"No, the school party was nerve-wrecking enough for me."

"It'll be good experience for you, but this time there'll be no old and stuffy types."

"No, I'm not ready."

So, Tanya had been a good judge after all.

"What are you up to today?"

"Your dad is taking mum shopping a bit later and mum's on the phone to the undertakers right now."

"No, what are you up to, never mind the old ones. We've got to make our own fun. "

"Like what?"

"I have a pile of Christmas cards to deliver that I forgot about, plus I might need a dress for the party."

"I suppose I could do with a few cards, I'd also like to get out of skirts and buy some trousers or jeans."

"That settles it, can you ask your mum to drop you over here so we can head out at ten?"

"I'll try."

"Okay, shower and put something decent on."

"Yes boss."

Tammy was back downstairs after half nine, suitably attired for a cold Highlands day, at least it wasn't snowing. She went for a tartan skirt and really thick tights, plus a woolly sweater; there was no point feeling the cold. Her father was coming out of the study.

"Going somewhere?"

"Into town; you're going shopping with Joan?"

"Yes, we need to stock Joan's fridge and cupboards for a few days. She's heading this way with Angela, I take it you're both going into town."

"Yes, I now have a party invite for tomorrow and need to get organised."

"You know we're not staying here?"

"No."

"We're at the cottage from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day, Elsie will be at Cathy and David's. What about this party?"

"It's a ball at the golf club."

"How did you arrange that?"

"I didn't, my friend Tanya did as soon as she knew we weren't going to be out of the country."

"I see, you know you'll have to make your own way back to the cottage? What time does it finish?"

"I don't know. I have a hair and nail appointment tomorrow afternoon too."

"Organised, just how long have you been a girl, young lady?"

"All my life!"

"Somehow I have to agree there. I have news, John McPherson was remanded in custody yesterday afternoon so will be spending Christmas in jail."

"I can't say I'm upset."

"I didn't think so. Also George's funeral is Monday fifth of January."

"That long?"

"It can't be helped. It's at Inverness crematorium, Joan's asked for a simple service."

"What's the legal side?"

"George's sister insisted she was the next of kin because of the divorce but he died in Scotland not England so Scottish law applies. Under those circumstances the undertakers here have kept talking to Joan, it's creating a bit of friction."

"So I can guess, did they want the body shipped south?"

"Yes, Joan's said she'll send them the urn if they want it in Bletchley, where George was born."

"It's a compromise."

"It has to be, anyway many of the teaching staff want to be at the service."

"A sad business."

There was a noise behind them as Angela was delivered by the front door, Joan drove on to park her car by the stables. Angela had managed a better job of her face this time, but she needed to sort out her beard judging by the amount of concealer used - it didn't look like she would receive any female hormones in the near future - she also had her wig on; her self-confidence wouldn't be great today, thought Tammy.

Richard dropped the two girls in town before heading off with Joan. Tammy had requested that they be dropped at the hospital first.

"But Tammy it's a long walk back into town."

"It's not far, and would you rather walk out here, and back, if we started in town?"

"Fair enough, but why come out here?"

"Two things."

They walked into reception, Tammy was here to deliver a card to Jill Davison, her psychologist. Regardless of their recent disagreements Jill had been the one to suggest, or rather insist, on a referral kicking off the process for Tammy. There was a post box in the form of a cardboard box wrapped in themed paper, she put the card in there and turned to leave.

"Miss Smart?"

"Yes?" It seemed that the receptionist recognised Tammy.

"It says here that you missed an appointment last week."

"Oh."

"As it happens, Doctor Yates had to cancel that day but the system's only just been updated, I'm re-arranging for January now."

"I don't know how that happened."

"Never mind, I have rebooked it for Friday ninth of January at half past three, I'll print that off for you."

"Thanks." She turned to her companion, "Angela, do you have a copy of your stat dec?"

Angela dug into her bag and took out a copy, it was becoming a little grubby.

"My friend has changed her name."

"You wait all year ...."

".... then two come along." They laughed, although Angela had clearly never heard the London bus related pun.

The receptionist promised it would be processed then took her own copy of the statutory declaration.

"You have an appointment to see Doctor Yates as well, the same day, as well as Dr Davison."

"Great, what time?"

"There seems to be a little flexibility here, Dr Davison at three thirty and Dr Yates at four?"

"I'll come down with Tammy after school then?"

"Tammy, oh you must mean Miss Smart?"

Finally they went back into the cold air and started walking into town, a coffee beckoned. As they made it onto the main road there was a toot from behind them, waving from behind the windscreen of a little car was Jill. Quick negotiations had them squeezing into the car for a short ride into town.

"Where are you going?"

"I have deliveries, some clothes shopping, but first a coffee and a wee."

"I'm off to the hotel to meet with a few people, I take it you were talking about there?"

"Yes."

"Now, Angela, did Tammy force you into a skirt today?"

"No. Tammy didn't know what I would be wearing until I reached the house, why?"

"Just checking."

"Jill, that's naughty."

"Tammy, why did you say that?" Angela was confused.

"I'll tell you later."

Jill had pulled up outside the Castletown Hotel, it was nearly eleven thirty. The two girls walked into the bar while Jill went off to park.

"Good morning ladies, your friends are waiting." Frances was indicating a corner, near the large bay window. Two girls and a twenty-something boy were sat there.

"Hi Tammy, Angela."

"Hi Tanya, Debbie."

"This is our brother, Peter." He stood.

"Enchanté Mademoiselle." He leant over and kissed Tammy on the cheek. "I've heard so much about you."

Tammy had to sit down quickly, her legs suddenly feeling like jelly. She blushed.

"He's good, isn't he?" Tanya was smiling broadly.

"Hmmmmmmm."

Angela was still stood there, not knowing what to do but finally took a seat next to Tammy. A waitress arrived and took Tammy's and Angela's drinks orders, this time copying the other girls by having fruit juices. David still had his eyes fixed on Tammy.

"Miss Tamara Smart, can I be your escort to the ball? I'll collect you at seven forty-five?"

"I'd be honoured. How come I've not met you before?"

Jill Davison had been stood behind Tammy long enough to catch the last exchange, she quickly moved off to find her own friends, a smile was on her face. A man on an adjacent table was also paying more attention in the proceedings than was polite.

"I'm at Dundee University, I travelled up on Sunday. I understand you're at St Andrews?"

"Yes, Angela and I are the only girls there?"

"All those boys, aren't you tempted?"

"No, the only one who's suitable has ensnared Tanya, or is it the other way around?"

Now it was Tanya's turn to blush, Debbie laughed. "Well done Tammy!"

"Angela, did Tammy tell you about the ball?"

"Yes, Debbie, but I said I wasn't available."

"That's a shame, I think you'd have enjoyed it."

"I need to be with my mum that night."

"I understand."

The waitress was now back with two glasses, she poured Tammy's and Angela's drinks at the table. Tammy decided she needed the toilet, Tanya elected to join her.

"You could have warned me!"

"Ah, but the look on your face."

"I was set up!"

"We didn't know you'd walk in, did we?"

"True."

"Anyway, good timing nonetheless. What do you think of him?"

"Rather nice. Where's his girlfriend?"

"She's gone to Aberdeen for Christmas, he really loves her and won't be anything other than a complete gentleman. Do you have a frock?"

"Yes, a cocktail dress, I wore it in here on Saturday."

"That electric blue one on the shop's facebook page?"

"Yes."

"I have so got to show him."

"Don't you dare, I want it to be a surprise."

Tanya went to leave as Jill walked in, Tammy was trapped.

"Who is he?"

"Sandy Smith's son."

"Oh."

"He's my escort for the ball at the golf club tomorrow night, nothing more."

"Be careful, how much does he know?"

"I'm not sure but this is not a sexual arrangement. I'd just as happily go on my own as my friends will be there."

"Okay, but don't take any chances."

"I am on the pill you know!" She said that as a sixty something lady opened the door from the bar. Tammy went crimson and fled.

up
407 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Will be interesting what was

Will be interesting what was found regarding Angela. Wonder if she is actually intersexed, but unaware?

Good question

WillowD's picture

One of the things I like about these stories is that so much is going on that it is easy to forget little things like this. So many stories have just enough information to support the main plot. This story is more like real life, where there is a lot more going on that is not relevant to the main story of your life.

The man at the table.

Oh yes, the plod from down South. I do hope that they do not find reason to arrest Richard.

Merry Christmas

Gwen

Teasers

shiraz's picture

Perhaps I should add a 'Teaser Alert' notice? Nah, much more fun letting everyone guess.
shiraz_sig_xmas

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

ooooh!

I missed that subtle reference to the man on the other table! I hope our girl is going to be careful especially as she has to make her own way home from the ball.

How much more

Screwing around with people are they going to take from Jill before they finally give her the boot? She's a poisonous person and that's something neither Tammy or Angela need to have to put up with.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

"I am on the pill you know!"

giggles.

Its too bad Angela doesn't feel up to the ball, it might be a big boost for her (of course it might be a disaster too)

DogSig.png

"I am on the pill you know!"

WillowD's picture

Then I guess she won't get pregnant. Probably. After all, the pill is not 100% fail safe. Snerk.

My Guess

joannebarbarella's picture

Is that Elsie may have breast cancer. I hope the diagnosis is early because it's no longer the killer that it used to be. Mind you, the treatment is no fun, mainly chemotherapy, which sometimes makes the sufferer feel almost as bad as the disease. There is usually radiotherapy as well, which is not quite as debilitating.

Jill

I think Jill's biggest problem is she cares. It interferes with her professionalism.

Why she's grumpy

Jamie Lee's picture

Not feeling well and believing it may be life threatening can put a person on edge, causing them to overreact at times.

Needing to make last minute changes to holiday plans can be disconcerting. As Joan did when expecting to be away during the holidays, food stuffs which might take over the house after a growth spurt, are thrown out. So when plans change, those items must be replaced. The interesting point in all this is Joan suggesting Richard and Tammy stay with her and Angela through Boxing Day. It still appears they are developing romantic interests with each other. As they should.

Tammy is going to the ball, with David. She was set up in order to meet David and be asked to accompany him to said ball. Tammy has been told he will be a perfect gentleman due to having a girlfriend, but will he? Will anyone at the ball take exception to Tammy being there and make a scene?

What's with the guy at the table over eyeing Tammy? A friend of John's? Someone hired to investigate her and Richard? Or, a friend of George's who takes exception with his death. And who agrees with George that it's all Tammy's fault.

Others have feelings too.