Tamara's First Christmas - Chapter 7 "Staff Party"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's First Christmas - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Seven

 
 

"Staff Party"

 
 
Thursday 18th December continued
 

To say that the Sixth Form party was a damp squib would be an understatement. This was the second time Tammy and Angela, previously as Tommy and Timothy, been entitled to attend it but Tom Smart had only spent five minutes there a year earlier, whilst Tim Small hadn't been permitted to attend by his father.

By three thirty the pair had enough, the main reason for their attendance was to avoid any odd questions or uncomfortable situations in January, when they would be back in classes almost immediately. They had managed to speak to almost half of the sixth form but there were still a few that deliberately avoided, as well as others who were always otherwise occupied.

John had done his best to direct fellow students towards the girls but was also being quizzed on his love life by those who had no confidence to even talk to a girl. Perhaps that would slowly change with Tammy & Angela in the school? The question that remained unanswered was how many of the students, particularly the sixth formers, would be removed from the school by aggrieved parents?

The girls headed down to the main entrance just in time to catch the second school bus that ran into town. First it dropped Angela at the cottage then Tammy at the McPhersons, adding five minutes to the journey for the day students who lived in the town or who needed the station. Later buses would run for those sixth former boarders who were leaving that evening, although most would leave in the morning.

When Tammy arrived home the ball gown was hung in her room, plainly Janet Adams had dropped it off, along with her shoes and lingerie. She picked up the phone and called the cottage.

"Hi Joan, did Janet drop off the dress?"

"Yes, can you tell me what it's about as Angela has gone to take a shower without mentioning anything."

Tammy quickly summarised the arrangements, including Angela's loaned frock.

"I see, so is Sarah's arrangement genuine?"

"I'm certain she won't even charge for the cleaning."

"I think I can understand what's going on. Now, was there a strapless bra with it?."

"Yes, but I'm not convinced it's the right size. Angela may also need shoes."

"I'll check if the bra suits her. So far as the shoes are concerned I'm a six and have some low heeled strappy sandals that would stretch a little."

"Sounds good."

"Now, what time does it all start tomorrow?"

"Oops, I don't know. Let me ring the school and I'll get back to you."

A call to the school again reached Janet Adams, she was able to explain that the lower years could all leave after they saw their form tutors first period, after breakfast and assembly naturally. That would be from 0945 onwards with several large coaches running to Thurso railway station or Wick airport.

The staff would conduct a sweep of the school, looking for boys who didn't want to leave, for whatever reason, plus any stashes of inappropriate substances or material in their rooms. It were those checks that has forced Tom to take Tammy's clothes with him before Tammy took over full time.

This timing meant that the staff party would commence at one o'clock, giving everyone a chance to change if necessary. Tammy passed this onto Joan, promising to contact her with transport arrangements. Next she broke the news about the party to her father.

"Okay, but I've also had a call from Sarah, can you go there in the morning for a few hours, before the party?" Given that Tammy was supposed to have been in school all day she obviously hadn't called Tammy direct.

"The timing is going to be a bit awkward."

"It's just to sort out her new stock that arrived this afternoon, as she can't do that and mind the store. She would like you there at eight if you can make it."

"Okay, I'll send her a text. What about transport?"

"I'll run you into town, we'll sort out a ride back at an appropriate time, do you have any idea?."

"Midday please, then we'll need a car at ten to one, or whatever time Angela's finished getting dressed and putting on make-up."

She rang Joan with the update.

"I've just heard that I've been invited as well."

"Good, now you need something to wear."

"I have a dress in my wardrobe that was apparently too risqué before, if you get my drift, I think that'll do!"

After dinner Tammy explained about the note left for Angela but avoided James Hunter's attitude problem as it had hopefully been dealt with. Neither Richard nor Elsie passed comment, that was one of the problems as they were both now Governors.

 
 
Friday 19th December
 

Tammy was not happy about the early rise but she had now promised Sarah that she would help. She dressed not just for the shop, but also for the sub-zero temperature. She was wearing very little makeup but would take enough in her bag in case she had to mind the shop as well.

After a solo breakfast she was in her father's car by seven forty-five; he would eat when he returned. He pulled over on Olrig Street so Tammy could nip along to Sarah Bonney's Boutique on Grove Lane. She had to tap on the window to attract Sarah's attention as she was in the back sorting out the lighting. Using a few hand signals Tammy was sent to Reid's Bakery, although Sarah was asking specifically for three pastries.

On her return she found Sarah's daughter, Emily, who she'd last seen in late September. A hug was offered and received.

"My, haven't you developed well!"

"Thanks Emily, you look a little wiser yourself."

"And older, but thanks for not mentioning it."

"When did you get here?"

"Into Thurso? At eight last night, although that wasn't certain until four in the afternoon. I can now help mum today and tomorrow, maybe a few days more."

"Girls, can you both tackle the storeroom as the sooner that's done the sooner you can help me out front. I'm opening at eight thirty today because of orders for parties later today. I'll make us a drink."

There were boxes upon boxes of new clothing, some was re-stocking existing lines, some was new. Included in this lot were ten gowns that had been ordered a week or so earlier, an order that would help towards clearing Sarah's overdraft.

They were running out of hanging space in the storeroom so some stock had to go in the front of the shop early on in the proceedings, more than Sarah would normally carry out front. By nine thirty they had finished the job, although Tammy was much more familiar with Sarah's current system. After a refresh of coffee and tea mugs they headed into the shop.

They'd heard a few people in the shop, plus the door opening and closing regularly sending cold air through to the storeroom but weren't expecting the sheer numbers that were crowding in. Of course when the two appeared there were many questions, hugs, kisses and plaudits.

With Emily it had simply been, for many, such a long time since she'd been seen in her mum's boutique so they wanted to catch up with her studies and, naturally, find out about any boyfriends. Tammy of course had recently finished a run of five performances of West Side Story at the Mill Theatre in her role as Anita, to great acclaim. Those who hadn't expressed their delight in the theatre now did, halting any commerce in the shop. Sarah gave it a minute then insisted she started processing the customers, suggesting that Tammy and Emily would be back the following day.

Slowly they worked through the morning, although it was clear Sarah could not close for lunch. Fortunately Emily could run out to the bakery for her, but Tammy declined on the grounds of a party. By eleven thirty the hoard had reduced to a steady flow, then the gentleman who'd ordered the ten gowns arrived. Sarah had processed the full payment when he'd placed the order but now gave him five percent off future orders valid until the end of January. It was a little thank you as well as a way of attracting his business again.

Tammy received a text at 1140 to say her transport was around the corner, although she didn't recognise the phone number. Giving her farewells she left before another interrogation could begin and carefully made her way to the carpark. Thankfully, one of the estate's vehicles, a Range Rover, was parked with the gamekeeper in the driver's seat. It looked as if it had been valeted that morning.

***

Tammy was ready, somehow, at a quarter to one so phoned the cottage to check on their preparations. Joan said she was ready but Angela wasn't, could Tammy get over there now?

She again pressed the gamekeeper into use as her chauffeur and drove over to the cottage. Angela wasn't even in her dress and hadn't done her makeup. Tammy felt she only had one option.

"Your mum and I are leaving now, if you don't want to walk to the school, whenever you're ready, then call the house and ask - just remember what Sarah said about the dress."

Once in the car, with both sat in the back, Joan explained that nothing she could say to Angela could have persuaded her daughter to be ready on time, if at all. Joan really had little option not to attend given that she was now a member of staff, despite her being on compassionate leave.

As they arrived, a late group of boys was leaving. Apparently these were the ones who hadn't known where they were spending Christmas, in some cases not even knowing which country. However, every student had to give contact information to cover the Christmas and New Year period plus a very good explanation if they weren't back on Monday fifth of January at the latest, ready for school the following day.

This had taken some of them, particularly the younger ones, considerable time to organise. It didn't help that many of the younger ones hadn't been entrusted with mobile phones which which to contact parents, it was almost like they'd been abandoned between holidays as an inconvenience.

Janet Adams was at the end of her tether as she had been left to deal with this regular recurring issue - it was the same situation six times a year, regardless the number of time parents, and pupils, were reminded. There was a stack of the school newsletter near the door next to the blank pupil contact forms so Tammy and Joan put a copy in their bags after completing a form for themselves - rules are rules. The sixth formers would have received their newsletter the previous day, probably whilst Tammy and Angela were in the town.

The staff party was in the assembly hall which was festively decorated. Joan was known as she had attended this function with George once or twice but Tammy was still an known to many of the staff. They were both circulating well when Steven McIntosh, the Head, caught up with Tammy.

"This is a staff function."

"Yes Sir, that's probably why it's the first time I've been invited."

"What I mean is that pupils, students, aren't invited."

"I was, Sir, by Janet Adams."

"Oh. Was there a reason?"

"I think it was to bolster the female attendance here and to add a little colour." She did a twirl.

Her father had appeared by her side so the Head walked away without a further word, Tammy wondered if that was the last she'd hear about it.

"Hello Dad, I didn't think you were coming, you said you were busy or something."

"Yes, busy helping putting this together as a Governor, some other responsibility I wasn't told about. Come with me, there's someone I want you to meet."

This 'someone' was the school's new Deputy Head Yvonne Stewart, who was deep in conversation with Joan.

"Ah, Miss Smart, I've heard so much about you."

"Then I'm at a disadvantage Miss Stewart."

"Perhaps we'll keep it that way? Will you excuse me, I need to discuss some matters with Mrs Small."

With that her conversation with Tammy was ended. She looked at her father but he just shrugged.

One of the aspects of this function was to reflect on the previous calendar year, For this, both the English Chaplain and the Scottish Minister attended. They had agreed a prayer and blessing, the readings of which were shared. Then there was something that Tammy had not expected; there was a roll call of those staff and pupils, current and past, who had lost their lives during the year. The last of these was George Small, Joan forced herself away from Yvonne Stewart and sought Richard's support. A polite pause was allowed before the next item, the buffet.

Joan excused herself from the crowd and headed for the female staff restroom, Tammy decided to go with her. There was one lady in there, who neither recognised, so they felt safe from prying eyes.

"Joan, I didn't know they would do that, but it seems to be a school tradition."

"I've ignored it before, or George would get us here deliberately late, that was when I wasn't required to babysit Tim, err, Angela."

"Okay, but it's over and I don't expect anyone is going to want to discuss it. Why don't you get yourself straight and join us in a minute?"

As Tammy walked back towards the hall, Angela arrived. She was on unfamiliar heels and not comfortable. Her make-up was also in need of repair.

"Your mum's in there," she pointed, "please go and see her before you join me in the hall."

Tammy went to graze on the buffet, partaking of a glass of wine, although that generated at least one quizzical look. She noted that the quality of the school's food had improved and was considerably more varied since the kitchen incident. In a previous attempt at cost-saving, the kitchen had been contracted to a single supplier, meaning that ingredients or finished meals were limited to those on the supplier's stock list. The whole supply chain had been brought back in-house and now used local stores and wholesalers where possible.

The result was that the buffet looked spectacular and had obviously tried to avoid the formulaic approach; boring food wins no plaudits. All the munching meant that the noise level in the hall went down. Tammy found her father talking to Harry Davison, chairman of the Governing Body who nodded her a greeting, Tammy was expecting to be told this was a private conversation.

"Please don't think you need to leave, Miss Smart, and my how lovely you look this evening."

"Thank you Sir."

"No, no, tonight Tamara it's Harry as you're in amongst staff, but nowhere else, right?" He laughed.

"Yes, err, Harry."

"I hope I didn't spoil your opening night at the theatre with my little incident?"

"Oh? Which incident?"

"My car decided to go sideways in the carpark, damn ice, and took out a wall. The garage has still got it, I might have it back tomorrow. The police didn't believe me at first either."

"No, I hadn't heard about that, but there was just so much happening."

Joan and Angela approached and Harry now made himself scarce, continuing his circulating. Joan was now looking confident again, whilst Angela was clearly out of her depth. Again this may have been a facet of her upbringing, whereas Tammy, as Tom, had attended corporate functions in several countries when travelling with her father.

Tammy wanted to ask Joan about her encounter with Yvonne Stewart but felt she might want to discuss it, she'd try to speak to her father later when they were alone. By four o'clock many had left, although the event didn't wind up for another hour.

Richard decided to do one more tour of the room before calling it a day. Tammy went a different way around and now found Elsie for the first time, something was up. Now was not the right time to ask, not that Elsie always provided answers or explanations.

Angela had tried to follow Tammy but Joan held her back. A few people, predominately female, had politely commented on Angela's dress and after a few false starts she explained it was from Sarah's Boutique. How many of those would find themselves in the shop in the next few days remained to be seen.

It wasn't long before Tammy and Richard appeared by Joan's side. Angela was back in the toilet, although this time it was purely bladder related. It had taken her nearly an hour to work up the courage to re-enter that room, by which time she was ready to burst.

Tammy had seen a glass of wine in her father's hand so wasn't certain of the transport arrangements but Michael was waiting outside with the Range Rover. After stopping at the cottage to drop the Smalls off they headed back to the house, Tammy immediately went to her room to change out of the dress and clean her face; she elected to leave makeup off.

Given that three of them had eaten at the school, dinner was simple although the portion size was up to the diner. Once that was dealt with Tammy went to her room to shower, check emails and, finally, turn in for the day. A box of new business cards was waiting on her desk, having been delivered that afternoon, Tom's cards had already reached the recycling bin.

up
396 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Suspicious?

WillowD's picture

I certainly am. I am frequently oblivious but I can usually tell when an author is hitting my head with a brick. Of course, a really good author throws things like this in now and then that lead nowhere just to make things a little less obvious. There were several such things going on at this party.

cool climate!

A very frosty reception from Miss Stewart and a mysterious lady in the toilets? more twists and turns, I cant see the wonderful Elsie standing for any difficulties from new "incomers". Poor Angela, she still struggles, I hope she busts out of that shell soon.

Wonder if the mystery woman

Wonder if the mystery woman might not be a plant by Miss Stewart so she can figure out personnel and or students at the school?

Is There A Problem?

joannebarbarella's picture

With Miss Stewart. I would have thought the school administration would be ultra-cautious in checking the credentials and attitudes of a new Deputy Head given all the recent problems they have gone through.

Ah politics,

it is everywhere, even in the staff room.

Why did he act that way?

Jamie Lee's picture

Angela, as Tim, not being allowed in the common room by George. Not allowed to participate in various activities by George. Even in town limitations were placed on Tim. Just why did George act this way?

How was he raised, who beat him into a certain attitude about people? George seemed like a control freak, someone who had to be in control every moment of the day.

However he was raised, he instilled a sense of insecurity within Angela. That any time she did something someone was going to reprimand her for what she did or said. Her only moment of self confidence was in closing her bank account. Hopefully working with Jill will help give her more confidence.

Tammy received a rather icy reception at the staff party, or what passed for a party. Stewart had a very icy disposition upon meeting Tammy. Could she be planning to become a pain in both Angela's and Tammy's sides?

Girls in sixth form, even at the school, is brand new. A standard needs set for both genders, standards which bring down fire is not followed. But that doesn't mean it has to be a standard which prevents the girls from enjoying their time at school. Something like that is reason for girls to go elsewhere. Time will be the judge of Miss. Stewart.

What gives Tammy the feeling something is up with Elsie? Radar? Elsie's body language? Who she was talking too? Maybe she'll find out if her feeling has merit.

Others have feelings too.