The Rose (Chapters 19-21)

Printer-friendly version

A meeting on the beach brings two people together and changes the world.
This is not your usual Maggie the Kitten story. It is an adult story, a romance, if you will.
I think you will enjoy it. Holly

The Rose (Chapters 19-21)

Written by Maggie the Kitten

Edited by Holly Hart and Shelly Shalimar

 
Chapter Nineteen
Sleeping Beauty
 
The word he was waiting for came about ten minutes later as the nurses started filing out of the room, followed by Prue who was still giving orders to those who were leaving and the one who was staying. When she saw Lynx heading for her, she wiped the sweat from her brow and gave him a reassuring nod accompanied by a tired pixie smile.

When he saw Prue's smile and nod, Lynx knew his love was still alive. He bowed his head and braced himself against the wall, as the release of fear and anxiety nearly buckled his knees and sent him back to the floor.

When he looked up again, his eyes were misting as he met Prue at the door. Memories of his behavior earlier shamed him, and he knew he owed not only Prue, but also all her staff an apology. However; right now he needed to be with Cindy. He needed to see those big emerald green eyes smiling up at him and hear the soft sound of her voice.

Prue reached out to him, taking his arm far more gently than she had in the room earlier, but still firmly enough to keep Lynx from going past her into Cindy's room. Her smile left as she spoke, "Lynx I need to talk you before you go in there."

Lynx looked into Prue's face, and didn't care for the tired sadness he found there. Suddenly he began to wonder if he somehow he’d misread the visual cue she'd given him when she walked out. He didn't want to go back to that dark place he'd been in earlier.

"Prue, she's going to be all right isn't she?" he begged, and then immediately his thoughts turned to the tiny patient within the patient. "Don't tell me she's lost the baby?"

Prue took a deep breath as she took Lynx's hand. "Cindy is stable and the baby seems fine, but there are problems, and as her doctor and your friend, I'm asking you not to go in there until we've talked. I've got a nurse in there right now, and I promise you can go see her, AFTER we talk. Please Lynx?"

Lynx searched Prue's big brown eyes. They told him that they'd won a battle today, but he couldn't help but feel that they still had a war on their hands. He turned away from her, hesitating just a second to touch Cindy's door and send her a silent prayer, before turning back. "Okay Prue, let's talk."

Prue's pixie smiled peeked out again and the pair headed back toward Prue's office, with Lynx offering short apologies to the staff he encountered for his performance in Cindy's room. They smiled and accepted them graciously, as like Prue, they had been through that type of thing many times before.

As soon as Prue shut the door behind her, Lynx started, "Prue, what's going on? Why can't I see Cindy?"

Prue sighed, "I didn't say you couldn't see her Lynx" She hesitated a moment as she stopped at her coffee maker to pour them both a cup, "but we need to talk first, so you'll be prepared when you do."

Lynx knew when someone, especially a doctor, use the word "prepared" in the context that Prue did, that whatever follows is probably bad. The only question on his mind, as she handed him his cup of coffee, was how bad.

"I told you from day one I was going to be absolutely straight with you." Prue took off her glasses, allowing them to hang before her by their chain. "And I'm not backing off of that now, but ... but this is going to take some explaining."

"Prue, damn it!" Lynx shouted as his frustration and fear boiled over. Then regaining his composure and lowering the volume he begged, "I’m sorry. … I’m sorry. Please, Prue! Won’t you please tell me what's going on with my wife and child?"

She let Lynx’s short outburst pass without comment as her sad brown eyes trained on his. "Like I said before, the baby is fine and Cindy is alive and stable. I promise you that, but we do have a problem, and it MIGHT be quite serious. At this point I can’t say for sure, but I’ll explain everything I can, and from the beginning if you’ll just bear with me.”

Lynx felt the warmth drain from his body as a cool calmness took over. There was a problem, a potentially serious one. He couldn’t and wouldn’t give in to the thoughts and fears that were baiting him. If it were bad, worse than bad, he’d deal with it then. For the moment, he had to return to being the cool, calm and patient Lynx. He trusted the woman across from him to be honest, and he trusted her to take care of Cindy and their unborn child. He would give Prue the chance to explain.

Prue noted his dark blue eyes were almost black, accompanying the stoic expression on his face.. She waited patiently until he spoke. “Go ahead, Prue. I’m listening.”

Prue nodded and then began. "Lynx, you had chicken pox when you were a kid didn't you?"

The hint of a smile peeked out from Lynx as Prue's question brought up memories from deep in his personal archives. " Yeah, I did and I shared them with Tess. Well actually, Tess shared them with me. I remember when she started showing signs of them, mom put me in the same room with her saying we might as well both get over them at the same time."

Lynx shook his head, "I don't know what we did more; fight or itch, but we did plenty of both."

The memory faded back into the archives along with the smile as the here and now held sway. "Prue, are you trying to tell me Cindy has chicken pox? That’s the problem? That doesn’t make any sense to me at all. I thought once you had chicken pox you didn't get them again and ... and I think Cindy already had them. Seems like she mentioned that to me when she was telling me some of her childhood stories."

Prue nodded and stole a quick sip of her coffee, "That's right, she did have them. According to her medical history she had them when she was six, and there were no complications. You're also right in assuming that most people, once they've had chicken pox, don't normally catch them again. They have a built in immunity afterwards."

Lynx shook his head. He could feel a royal headache coming on and his patience leaving as he did. "So what you're saying is that once again Cindy isn't like "most" people and she's not immune. Somehow she's caught it and this time it's FAR worse than just a few days of itch and scratch discomfort?"

Thoughts of scratch and discomfort jogged Lynx’s memory that afternoon, and Cindy’s itchy reaction to what she thought was her new blouse. The last thing on any of their minds was that she could be coming down with Chicken Pox, and he’d never known it could be a serious ailment.

Prue's eyed threaten to mist again as pain peeked through her thin pixie smile at the irony of it all, "No Lynx, not exactly. For once, Cindy IS very much like "most" people. She is immune, and that means deep inside her cell memory the recipe if you will for producing antibodies to fight chicken pox has been on file since she got over them the first time. She must have recently come in contact with someone carrying the active chicken pox virus, probably one of the countless kids she hugged while we were out shopping. When the virus invaded her system, cell memory recreated the same anti-bodies that it had before and destroyed the virus, EXACTLY the same."

Lynx gave Prue a confused gaze and begged, "Wait a minute, I don't get it. If these antibodies killed the chicken pox, then what's THIS problem?"

"The problem is", Prue answered as she pushed her empty coffee cup aside, "those antibodies didn't stop there, they well ... umm … mutated. They started attacking Cindy's new reproductive system. including the baby, as if it were another virus. just like the chicken pox. The original antibodies were created and released when she was six years old and designed with the XXX and active Y she carried then. When they were called into service this time, they replicated identically to what they were before, not only attacking the chicken pox as an outside invader, but treating the cell structure in Cindy's new reproductive system as one too, because it was different. It’s XX. Of course the reproductive system, now under attack, defended itself by summoning antibodies genetically engineered to fight what IT viewed as the foreign invader, the original chicken pox antibodies."

Prue stopped for a moment as she could see Lynx was trying to mentally put all the X's and Y's in the right place. "Lynx, the bottom line is, the body went to war with itself. Fortunately for Cindy, the good guys won. I guess you might say we were sort of the cavalry, and came charging with reinforcements, or more accurately, I was able to give her a serum that annihilated the existing mutated chicken pox antibodies and stopped further production. In short, we did win the war. Of course there is a slight downside to this. If she comes into contact with chicken pox again, she will probably have a mild case, but this time the body will produce new antibodies that are friendly to her new cell structure, and she'll be completely immune from future contact.”

Lynx shook his head, “Prue … I’m really trying to follow you here, but maybe I’ve missed something. Sounds to me like you’ve solved the chicken pox and the anti-body problem thing. You said the good guys won, so what’s the PROBLEM?”

Prue sighed and tried to answer the question. Lynx definitely deserved an answer. “Lynx from the time Cindy contracted that chicken box virus her body has been under siege, and when it went to war with itself over her reproductive system, her stress levels went through the roof. The physical strain was simply too much and her body shut down.”

Lynx reached out and grabbed Prue's trembling hands, "Prue for God's sake will you just tell me!"

Prue nodded as there was nothing else left now but to tell him. "Lynx, when I say the body shut down, I'm telling you Cindy lost consciousness. As far as I can tell, although I've got more tests to run, there doesn't appear to be any physical damage, and her vital signs are very strong but ... but ... she hasn't waked up. She's in a coma and I can't tell you WHEN, or for that matter, even IF she's going to come out of it. I’ll do everything I possibly can, but in all honesty, it’s pretty much a wait and see game. I ... I'm so sorry, Lynx, so sorry."

The last of Prue's energy poured out of her with those final words and she nearly collapsed at her desk. Lynx stood up and ran to her. For once, it was the doctor who needed help. As he held her, he shook his head, his words barely audible at first then growing louder as he repeated them, "Damn, damn, damn, DAMN!"

Prue shook herself and drew on a reservoir of strength she used only a few times in her life. She turned and hugged Lynx, wanting to offer what comfort she could and accept Lynx's wrath as she blamed her incompetence for the woman on the edge of eternal sleep. "Lynx, I’m totally responsible. I should have realized this could happen. I thought I’d covered every conceivable possibility, but I missed this one, because it would not have been an issue with the first two women. I … I … can’t tell you how sorry I am and if you want to bring another doctor in, I’ll gladly step aside.”

Lynx had given in to the darkness for a moment, but he couldn’t allow himself that luxury, nor could he allow his friend Prue to carry the blame. He had to be strong, for himself, for Cindy, for the baby, and for Prue.

“Prue”, he managed “I don’t blame you, and I know Cindy wouldn’t either. Look, we both knew there were risks, and we agreed to take them. We trusted you then, and we still do now. Prue, Cindy and I were able to create a life with your help and I won’t trust either of those two lives to anyone else but you. I can't, and won't think about what went wrong, or who’s at fault. Right now I only care about two things. I just want to know what Cindy's chances for recovery are, and how does this affect our baby?”

Prue was truly touched by this man who had every right to vent all his anger at her and yet, he’d let it go for now and stayed focused on something more important; his wife and his child. Prue tried to follow his brave lead by letting go of her guilt for the moment and concerning herself with the same two important people, and giving Lynx what information and hope she could.

"As for Cindy's chances, well ... on the positive side she is young, strong and in good health. She's also a fighter. She's been fighting for her right to be herself for most of her life, and considering what's at stake here, I know she'll be battling with every ounce of strength. The love she has for you and for that child can bring her back to you even when modern medicine has run out of hope."

Lynx acknowledged the positives, but didn't hesitate to ask for the flip side of the song. "And the negatives?"

Prue frowned, "The fact that she is pregnant is actually a double-edged sword. Emotionally, as I pointed out, it gives her a reason to fight, but physically, carrying the baby is a strain on her system. The combination of the physical shock her system suffered, and the increasing drain of the growing child is going to make her recovery more difficult. The coma also appears to be pretty deep. At this level, anything I might try to stimulate her and to force consciousness, would probably be ineffective and potentially harmful to her or the baby. Now that doesn't mean I have completely given up on active treatment, but what it does mean is that at least for the time being, I think we’re better off just trying to keep her stable and giving Cindy a chance to naturally regain consciousness, rather than take unnecessary risks."

Looking for a way to paint the picture in terms Lynx could understand she found it. "Let me put it this way. It's like Cindy is very tired, and she has a long uphill climb to reach where we are. Not only is there almost nothing we can do to help her, but she also has to carry the baby on her back as well.”

“Lynx, you ask me for her chances. I honestly don't know. At this very moment she could be sitting wide awake and wondering where the heck we've run off to, or ... or yes, it’s technically possible she may never wake up again. If you want a number I'll give you one. I say it’s a solid 60-40 in our favor, maybe better … and that’s because Cindy is so strong, but if it were almost any other patient, I’d have to say 50-50. I do have to tell you though, that the longer she's in the coma, the worse the odds will eventually get. I'm sorry. I wish I could tell you more and better."

Lynx nodded, trying to find some solace in the positives Prue had given him, without letting the negatives drive him to a dark place. She had been spot on about Cindy. She was a fighter, and he knew in his heart she wouldn't let go of him or their child no matter what the odds. He smiled, to keep from crying as he thought about an angel coming down to take Cindy to heaven. The fuss she would put up might have that angel wondering if Cindy was going to the right destination.

Prue noted the smile that turned his lips ever so slightly. She didn't know what Lynx was thinking but she was sure she knew who he was thinking about. Having answered half his question, she set about answering the other half.

"As for the baby, I’m pretty sure the it’s going to be fine. The vitals appear to be strong, and initial tests don't show any evidence it suffered any trauma at all. I guess you could say Cindy protected it, even at the risk of her own life."

Lynx wasn't surprised to hear that statement. There had never been any question in his mind about her maternal instinct or protectiveness of her unborn child.

"Hopefully Cindy will be back with us shortly,” Prue went on. “However, should she not regain consciousness for the length of the pregnancy, I don’t foresee any problems with her continuing to carry the baby as long as her condition remains relatively stable. We'll be feeding Cindy intravenously, so the child will get sufficient nourishment. I'd like her to carry the child as long as she can, but I feel we can safely take it if necessary any time after eight months. That’s 6 weeks from now. If Cindy hasn't regained consciousness as we get closer to her due date, Il probably will go ahead and take it a little early. If her condition deteriorates much more, I don't want to run the risk of her going through labor. She might not be able to survive the stress. But … and I can’t say this strong enough, I’m talking worse case scenario here. We still have every reason to believe by the time she starts labor she’ll be healthy, wide-awake, and ready to give you a left hook for all the pain that is 50% your fault.”

Lynx blew out a breath as tears welled in his eyes. Prue’s little lighted heart quip at the end would normally net her his boyish grin, but not this time. Prue felt powerless to help, and as Cindy’s phyiscian she pretty much was.

Reaching inside, she closed the medical book and opened her heart as a friend who loved these two people and their unborn child very much. "Lynx, when I say Cindy might come out of this while are walking back to see her, I mean that. There is so much here we don't know, but what I do know is, she loves you, and she loves that child, and she won't want to let go of either of you. If there is any woman in this world who can come back to win when she's staring at match point, it's Cindy. I know this woman and I’ve grown to love her and somehow, someway, with my help or on her own, she’s going to find a way to come back to you and that child."

Lynx smiled, knowing Prue was right. Sheer determination and the support of her family had carried her to victory long before she won her first tennis tournament. She’d been beating the odds all her life, and now facing the biggest challenge ever, she had the greatest inspiration to win: not just life, but a life with her child and soulmate.

Lynx let out a sigh. He was now ready to be in the gallery, offering what support he could and waiting for his wife to win and return to him. When he offered his open arms, Prue stepped into them and the two friends held each other, drawing strength and giving solace.

Finally Prue stepped back and smiled through her tears. "I think you're prepared to see Cindy. Actually, I think NOW, we're both prepared."

Lynx offered Prue his arm and she took it graciously as the pair walked quietly to Cindy's room, each lost in thought and bracing themselves for what awaited.

Prue followed Lynx into Cindy's room. She quickly gave a look at the nurse by her bed, who understood the speechless communication perfectly and quietly slipped out, leaving the three of them alone. Lynx looked at his Sleeping Beauty, and with all his heart and soul, he wished he could really be her Prince Charming and awaken her with a kiss.

Prue watched as Lynx took Cindy's hand, ever mindful of the line now inserted into it, and caressed it lovingly. Then, leaning over, his lips brushed hers in a soft kiss. When he pulled back, his eyes were misty and his hand trembled as he held hers. With his free hand he pushed her auburn locks back from her face and smiled through his tears.

He knew she was alive, and not just from the rise and fall of her chest or the monitors and that incessant beep, but because he could feel her spirit when he touched her. She looked like she was sleeping, but that wasn't quite true. To Lynx, it was more like she was resting lightly. She was kind of in that state where you're really awake, but the bed is just too comfortable and too warm to get out of. He knew she would get up when she was ready, and he also knew she could hear and sense his presence. It wasn't something he could prove, but then again, he didn't have to.

Wiping away a tear he found his voice, "Hello, my love. You know, you gave me quite a start earlier. I suppose you saw the show I put on here with the nurses. Well don't worry, I've apologized to them all and I’ve promised Prue there will not be an encore."

Lynx glanced away long enough to give Prue a wink before once again giving Cindy his undivided attention. "Now as for you, I know you need your rest, so go ahead and sleep in, but don't let this princess treatment go to your head. You know, in about 6 to 10 weeks we’re going to have a little prince or princess on the throne, and neither one of us is going to get much sleep after that."

Lynx paused then, waiting for his beloved to smile or giggle, but he wasn't deterred when she failed to do either. "I to have to go make a few calls now. You know I'll never hear the end of it from the family if I don't, but don't worry, I'll be back straight away, and then I'll be right here with you until you're ready to get up. Remember … just as I told you the morning we walked back after I’d put a ring on your finger. Whatever it is … we’ll face it together."

Lynx kissed Cindy again and then lingered at her side until the nurse returned and Prue gently led him from the room. They silently walked a few steps before Lynx stopped. "Prue, I know she can hear me. I can FEEL her there. She ... she just can't get up right now."

Prue nodded knowingly, "I believe you. There have been many documented cases of people who have come out of comas reporting they were totally aware of other's presence and conversations while they were under, but most of all, I believe in the bond you two share. You're soul mates, if she's going to hear anyone's voice, it's going to be yours."

Lynx took immediate advantage of the opening Prue had conveniently left him, "That's exactly what I think, and it's why I'm going to be there with her, talking to her, singing to her, and holding her hand until she wakes up. You heard what I said Prue, and I meant it. We’ll face it together."

Prue realized what she'd just let herself in for and tried to make a hasty retreat. "Lynx, I know you want to be there with her, but you're not going to do yourself or her any good maintaining a constant bedside vigil. You have to rest and eat, and step back for awhile. I promise you she won't be alone. I’ll be here every moment I can, and I'm keeping a nurse with her at all times to watch the monitors and to watch for any signs of consciousness that a monitor might miss. Lynx, I do want to believe she'll come round before morning, but in all honesty, this could drag on for months. I ... I just can't let you do it."

Lynx reached out to Prue with his hand and his heart. "Prue, I have to be there with her. Look, you can toss me in a sandwich now and then, and I'll sleep in the chair right next to her when I get tired. You can keep a nurse in there or teach me to read those monitors, but please, Prue, don't ask me to leave her. I need her and ... and ... she needs to know I'm there. She might need my help to find her way back. You said it yourself Prue, if she's going to hear anyone's voice, it's going to be mine."

He hesitated, searching her eyes for hope, finally adding, "Prue, if that was your husband in there, would you feel any different than I do?"

Prue knew she'd been bested as he'd reached the woman's heart with his pleas, but as the physician she still had to lay the ground rules. "Okay, I'll make the arrangements, but Lynx ... and I mean this, you have to do exactly as I say and without argument. That means if I need you out of the way in there, I'll only tell you once. We can't have what happened earlier, happen again."

Lynx gave his best reprimanded school boy look and smiled as he hugged her, "I promise to be good. Thank you, Prue … thank you."

The chirping of Lynx's cell phone broke the moment. When Lynx realized it was Tess, he handed the phone to Prue and begged one last favor. "It's Tess. She's going to have a million questions, most I probably can't answer. Do you think you could ummm?"

Prue smiled knowingly and nodded, taking the phone from Lynx. He smiled his thanks and asked Prue to tell Tess he'd talk to her a bit later. Prue nodded and shooed him off toward Cindy's room. Lynx needed little encouragement, turning quickly and heading back to take his place by his beloved's side.

Prue answered the phone, informing Tess of Cindy's condition and Lynx's, both being stable at least for the time being. After finishing the conversation with Prue, Tess hung up and took a few minutes to compose herself, before breaking the news to the rest of the friends and family. Bob working at Tess’ side, was on his laptop immediately arranging flights for everyone who wanted to go to New Zealand, no matter where they were.

As promised, Prue made the necessary arrangements for Lynx's stay, which for now, was just informing the staff he'd be staying there and having a bed set up for him in Cindy's room. She ordered a small portable cot, as opposed to a full hospital bed, hoping with all her heart that his vigil would be a short one.

Prue also called hubby and asked him to bring a suitcase of Lynx’s things so he'd have a couple changes of clothes. Last, and certainly not least, she contacted the closest florist and set up deliveries, assuring that Lynx could continue to pledge his love for Cindy each day as he had since the day they'd met, with a rose.

Lynx spent the rest of the day and most of the evening taking short calls from friends and family, all of which sent their love and prayers and most of whom said they'd be arriving as soon as they could.

In talking with Shelly, they agreed to allow her to make a brief press release on Cindy's condition to the public. Despite the fact she was in New Zealand and at an isolated hospital, word would sooner or later be leaked to the press. And although most of the press and public had backed off a bit since the Betsy Warren interview, they were still near enough to notice all the friends and family making a mad scramble to fly into New Zealand. As a result, Shelly felt the best way to deal with this was to deal with it as they always had before: openly and honestly. Of course, being the devout Jewish woman that she was, she also added that the prayers of a few million people for Cindy's recovery couldn't hurt. Lynx was willing to take any help that might be offered, divine or otherwise. He also agreed with Shelly that it was the honest thing to do, and he knew how Cindy felt about honesty.

Shelly's short release hit the wires as the sun was setting in New Zealand. It read, "Cindy has been taken ill due to complications from a virus she contracted. Dr. Walker has been treating her and she is no longer in danger from it. She stated, “The baby appears to be healthy and Cindy is strong and stable. However Cindy has yet to regain consciousness at this time, but we do believe she will make a full recovery. We now ask for your patience and your prayers and we promise to issue further statements as we have news to share. Thank you."

When Lynx wasn't fielding phone calls during that busy first day, he was sitting at the side of Cindy's bed, talking to her or serenading her with song. Once Prue's hubby had delivered Lynx's belongings, including his favorite acoustic guitar, he no longer had to sing A Cappella.

During the day, the various nurses who stood watch on the monitors in Cindy's room got front row seats to a Lynx command performance for his princess. Prue popped in from time to time to check on both of her patients, and threatened Lynx with rectal insertion of nutrients if he didn't eat the sandwich she'd brought him hours earlier. Being a good little prince, he complied, eating a few bites under Prue's watchful eye, before setting it aside after she'd left. The cot was set up but he spent most of the night in the chair by her bed, watching Cindy sleep, and singing to her until sleep and exhaustion finally claimed him.

The first hint of early morning sun warmed Lynx's sleeping face and woke him. His eyes opened to the view from Cindy's window and he smiled dreamily at the sun just making its appearance above the ocean in the distance. For a moment, he was at Bob's house, and it was one of those magical mornings from those first seven magical days, and he listened for the sound of a tennis ball being smashed into the asphalt during Cindy's early morning workout. When the longed for sound didn't come but instead was replaced by the incessant hum of a medical monitor, Lynx awoke from his dream and found himself back in the waking nightmare he'd left the night before.

The night nurse smiled at Lynx and greeted him with a “Good morning.” He returned it with a warm smile as he went to Cindy's side. He kissed her softly and then greeted her with his own gentle good morning. He gave the nurse a hopeful glance, but she smiled sadly as she shook her head, silently telling him there'd been no change in Cindy's condition during the night.

Prue came in not long after and was equally sad to hear there had been no change. She frowned when she saw the half eaten sandwich that Lynx had solemnly promised would be completely eaten, but said nothing as she'd barely picked at the dinner Hubby had brought up for her last night.

Lynx was sitting on Cindy's bed with his back to Prue, and when she came within earshot she caught the tail end of a childhood story about Lynx, Tess and a trip into the mountains their parent's had taken them on. It made the young woman smile warmly, and wished she'd heard it from the beginning.

She tapped Lynx lightly on the shoulder, breaking the moment to wish the pair a good morning. Lynx returned it before he stepped back to allow Prue to check on his beloved. Ten minutes later Prue gave Lynx the same sad smile he'd gotten earlier from the night nurse, and he knew Cindy was no closer to waking up today than she'd been the night before.

Prue stayed long enough for Lynx's breakfast to be delivered and watched him eat enough of it to satisfy her requirements. She left, saying she'd be back in a few hours and to have the nurse contact her if he needed anything. Prue hadn't gotten two steps past the door when the sweet sounds of Lynx's guitar filled the hallway. She stopped briefly to listen to the soulful serenade and then headed back to her lab with a song in her ear, a wan smile on her face, and hope in her heart.

Bob and Tess arrived late that afternoon, the first of many friends and family that would make their appearance over the next week. Prue had cars waiting at the airport to collect them and bring them straight to the hospital, though naturally, they couldn’t all go into Cindy’s room at once.

She did her best to meet each one at the doors and then prepare themselves for what they would find once they got to Cindy and now Lynx's room.

The sight was the same for all. Cindy would be sleeping and Lynx would be by her side. Sometimes, he would be talking to her, sharing a story from the past or a dream for their future. Sometimes guitar music would greet a newcomer before they reached the door and they knew Lynx would be giving his love a private serenade (after the third night, Prue dismissed the full time in room nurse, letting Lynx assume that role to some degree).

Other times they would find the room almost silent, Lynx just watching his beloved quietly, or having succumbed to exhaustion, having joined her for a light sleep. Yet no matter how they would find Lynx, there would be one constant they would always find. They would see beautiful red roses; not just one each day, but one added for each day Cindy slept and for as long as the love and magic they shared would last.

For Cindy's family and friends, seeing the usually vivacious and active young woman lying in a bed and unresponsive drove them to the edge. Not knowing when, or even if she would wake up pushed most of them over the edge. Very few, even her own parent's could stay for more than a short length of time before having to excuse themselves to keep from breaking down in sobs.

Kim sat with her daughter reminiscing about what a fussy little patient she was the first time she'd caught chicken pox. The tale started with smiles and happy memories, but the present reality finally intruded and Bill had to gently lead Kim away before she broke down completely.

While Prue couldn't give Lynx or the family further reassurances that Cindy would recover, Lynx's mother used her empathic abilities to at least give them hope she would. She went to her second daughter's bedside and gently took her hand in her own. She stood there quietly as Lynx and his father looked on. When she released her hand she smiled softly and nodded. ”I can feel Cindy's presence. She’s strong and aware and very much determined to rejoin all of us, especially you, Lynx. I can't tell you when, but Cindy is like all mothers and she wants to hold her new born child in her arms more than anything. That fact alone, should be enough to bring her back to us.”

Bob was the only one Lynx would allow to spell him when he grabbed a quick shower. When it was his turn, Bob held the young woman's hand just as he had held it before during their long walks on the beach. They had already endured some dark times together, and in his heart he tried to believe this was just another one of those times. Soon the darkness would lift and he'd be smiling and walking on the beach with his god-child again.

Ally, with Christine in her arms, sat by her little sister's side, sharing with her all the daily adventures in parenthood she and Andy were having. She talked to her about the joys Cindy and Lynx had to look forward to, and how much fun their children were going to have playing together as their mothers watched. She tried to remain upbeat, but then the tears came and Andy gently led her away before his own started to fall.

Everyone stayed as long as they could, giving all they could, but one constant remained and that was Lynx. From the moment he'd walked back into Cindy's room after leaving Prue, he had not left save for the most necessary reasons, and he had no intentions of doing so until his beloved returned to him.

While friends and family had flown in from all over to be with the loving couple, the rest of the world was stunned and deeply saddened by the news. Within hours after Shelly's release went out, telegrams starting pouring into Prue's tiny hospital. Within a few days, cards and letters by the mailbag were deposited at the hospital's front door step. The world, which had taken sides and turned Cindy's pregnancy into a battleground, lay down their arms for now, and joined together, sending prayers and well wishes for her recovery and the continued good health of her child.

Requests for updates on Cindy's condition lit up the switchboard at the office Shelly had set up near the hospital. But as she had requested in a follow up statement, very few tried to reach the hospital in person or by phone. This was no longer just a top news story, or great scientific breakthrough or a matter for Ripley's Believe It or Not. It was a real life drama, where a young woman and her child's life hung in the balance, and her husband and family could only look on helplessly and wait. The world gave them the respect and the privacy they deserved as they waited along with them.

Three weeks was fast becoming four, and Cindy's room was beginning to take on the look of a small rose garden. All of the family and nearly every friend had come in to visit. Maggie O'Malley, the Irish Cheetah half of tennis' best women's doubles team came for a few days and prayed by Cindy's bedside for her partner’s speedy recovery. She left saying, “I know Cindy isn't Catholic but I intend to go all the way to the Pope to be sure Cindy has a direct pipeline to the big guy.”

Lynx smiled and thanked her, never doubting for a minute that the fiery Irish girl wouldn't hesitate to storm the Vatican if need be.

Chrissy Anne Collins, a mother herself, came by and offered words of inspiration she hoped would bring Cindy back fighting, just as she had in their first meeting at Wimbledon. She told her that Motherhood is the greatest experience in the world, even better than winning Wimbledon, and that she just had to wake up to be a part of it.

Finally, she even tried coaxing her by teasing Cindy's competitive spirit, telling her, “I want a chance to avenge those losses at Wimbledon. I don’t care if it is center court with the Queen in attendance or your court at the beach house with only our husbands and kids there, but you owe me a rematch and I intend on claiming it.”

The wonderful woman who was top class both on and off the court left Lynx with prayers for Cindy and all the family.

Hopes for Cindy's quick recovery had long been dashed. Prue and her staff continued to work feverishly on a plan of action, but despite their best efforts the safest course continued to be one of inaction, and along with Lynx and the rest of the world, they continued to play the same helpless waiting game.

Cindy's vitals had weakened slightly, as the child within her continued to pull more from her as it grew. Prue assured Lynx and the family, “This was pretty much the norm for most all cases where the pregnant mother is comatose. We’re doing everything we can to see both Cindy and the baby are receiving proper nutrition, and neither is in danger at this time, but as the baby draws more from her and the stress levels increase, Cindy's well-being may well be in jeopardy.”

Most of the family and a few of the friends stayed as long as they could, hoping that the Sunshine Superstar would rise and be shining again quickly, but after the first month it was obvious that wasn't going to be. Prue and hubby had opened up their house to any and all who visited. Chez Walker was often booked to capacity that first month, but no one was ever turned away or turned out. Yet as much as the family and close friends wanted to stay there for both Lynx and Cindy, reality reminded them they could put their lives on hold for only so long. Most would have tried to pop back and forth every few days if possible, but New Zealand was pretty far off the beaten path, and it simply wasn't possible.

Ally and Andy left after two weeks. It was simply too much to care for Christine in such a situation. Rich and Jenna, Christine and Caroline and most everyone else weathered nearly a month before returning home, but of course promising to return as soon as they could. Cindy's parents had planned to stay for the duration, even looking into rental property nearby, not wishing to wear out their welcome at Chez Walker, but Kim took ill about six weeks after arriving. She had a heart condition that had been kept in check by regular medication, but the stress and fatigue of spending long days sitting in Cindy's room got the best of her. Prue agreed with the heart specialist she brought in, that Kim needed to go home, and that eventually became doctor's orders. Reluctantly, Kim and Bill left their little girl, but not before extracting promises from Prue for regular reports.

Bob and Tess, dug in for the long haul, and despite Lynx telling them they didn't need to stay, deep inside he was grateful to have their company. They stayed as much to talk to Cindy as they did to offer what support they could to Lynx, and as Cindy's condition continued to remain the same, they were becoming increasingly more worried about him.

Prue had replaced the fold away cot with a proper hospital bed for Lynx, but he rarely slept in it. What little sleep he could find was usually in the chair at Cindy's bedside. He ate only enough to keep Prue from making good her threats of having him fitted with a feeding tube, and he had yet to emerge from Cindy's room since the day Prue had given him permission to stay.

Bob had several long talks with Lynx about his situation. Having been through a long and painful ordeal himself when cancer slowly stole his beloved Crystal from him, he could offer words that only someone who had been there could give. Bob hoped the sharing would somehow lighten the young man's load, but in his heart, he knew it didn’t offer much solace. The only thing that would have eased Bob's pain then was for his beloved Crystal to be healthy and to come home with him. He knew the same held true for this young man who was fast becoming like a son to him.

Lynx appreciated Bob's presence and his words. It gave him an even greater respect for the man who had been like a second father to Cindy, and to him as well, although he would be more than content to have Bob as a "big brother" should he one day marry Tess. If there was anyone there who knew how he felt, it was Bob, and that is why he knew that Bob would understand and respect his decision to remain at Cindy's side. He was right. Bob did understand, and he knew Lynx could not leave any more than he could have left Crystal.

Tess and Lynx were twins and shared many qualities in equal quantities, but when it came to stubbornness, Tess had been blessed (or cursed) with most of it, and when she put her mind to something, she rarely stopped until she accomplished it. After the first month, she couldn't bear to see Lynx locking himself into that tomb Cindy's room had become and she became determined to get him out into the daylight if only for a short bit. She felt she needed to, not just because she loved her brother and she felt he needed the break, but because she loved Cindy, and she knew her "sister" wouldn't want Lynx to sit here for days without end.

She also knew something else, something that had been different in Bob's situation with Crystal, and something that in little more than a month would force Lynx to honor the vow he'd made before promising to stay at Cindy's bedside. That "something else" was actually a someone else, and when Lynx and Cindy's child came into this world, Lynx would be love and honor bound to devote his life to taking care of it. Everyone hoped Cindy would awake in time to share that joy and responsibility with him, but if she did not, he would have no choice but to let a part of her go, at least enough to raise their child.

Tess went to work after the first month, and she used every bit or trickery, logic and sisterly good natured nagging to try and accomplish her mission. Lynx, while not as vocal about his ability to feel his sister's thoughts as she was his own, was every bit as tuned into his twin as she was him and he knew what she was up to from the start. He should have been aggravated at his stubborn sibling and her daily efforts at trying to blast him out of his bunker, but he never really was. He knew why she was doing it and he was deeply touched by the love and devotion Tess felt for him.

The daily battle of wits between brother and sister never did succeed in Tess getting her brother to leave Cindy for a trip outside, but Tess did win a minor battle by getting the outside to come in and join them. With Prue's agreement, and the assistance from a maintenance team, the huge picture window in Cindy's room was fitted with a screen, allowing the warm New Zealand summer breeze to blow in for a while off the nearby ocean. It was another advantage to spending January down under. The kids would be hard pressed to find snow to make angels in, but at least they could spend their afternoons playing on the beach.

The warm ocean air filled the room and combined with the scent of the roses to create a magical atmosphere. In that room, Lynx had friends and family, his ocean, his beloved, the roses they shared, and when he picked up his guitar, sweet songs. All he needed now was for Cindy to succumb to the magic and join him in the land of the living once again.

Tess knew at least for now she couldn't win, but she stilled staged her daily battle, if for no other reason than to give them both something to look forward to, and at least for a little while, break the long wait. Yet when Tess wasn't trying to beat Lynx, she was joining him and often times in duets. The hospital staff were treated to some of the greatest hits of Lynx and the Kool Kats as the pair’s voices often echoed down the usually quiet corridors.

Tess also helped Lynx in looking after Cindy. Tess, being more skilled in the finer arts of femininity, took charge of helping her sister-in-law keep her beautiful appearance by brushing her hair, trimming her nails and applying moisturizers and such. Lynx watched carefully, preparing himself take on that role if need be, but extremely grateful that sis was here to fulfill it for now.

Cards and letters continued to pour in from all around the world, and Shelly set up several postal drops to keep Prue's hospital from being buried alive. Still, some would filter in anyway, and Lynx, Tess and Bob would take turns reading them to Cindy. Quite often one would have to spell another when the sentiments brought them to tears long before their voice was ready to give out.

At the end of six weeks, Cindy was basically eight months along in the pregnancy, and she'd shown no signs of improvement. If anything, her condition had deteriorated slightly, but as Prue had pointed out before, that was to be expected as the baby drew more and more from her. Cindy's diary had been quiet since her last entry back at the Oldenburg estate. In the early hours of the morning, the time that Cindy often did most of her writing, Lynx made his lone entry into her diary.

Cindy's Diary - February 28th (by Lynx)

Hello, Little one, this is your father. I know this is your mother's book, but I don't think she'll mind if I put in a few words. Your mother is sleeping right now, and with the moonlight bathing her she looks just like a real angel. Of course, you probably know she's sleeping right now, don't you? In fact, I bet she's cuddled up inside there with you somehow. Sometimes I think she's not so much sleeping, as she is sneaking away to spend time with you and to watch over and protect you until it's time for you to emerge into this world. I bet she even knows whether you're a little prince or a princess! Well, I have to tell you that I'm just a little bit jealous of your mother getting to spend all this time with you, but I guess that's okay, because when you come out things are going to change around here.

Your mother is going to have to learn to share, because I love you every bit as much as she does, and I'm going to take really good care of both of you. Now, I need to let you know something just so you won't be frightened. Your Auntie Prue says it's almost time for you to come out and see all the people who love you, especially your silly old father, and she's going to have to help bring you out because your mother can't do it by herself. I just want you to know that she loves you too, and for you not to be afraid. We'll all be right here to greet you, and so will your mother because I know with all my heart she wouldn't miss this for the world.

A single tear hit the page and Lynx stopped, unable to write anymore. He sat the book back on Cindy's nightstand and gently laid his head on Cindy's chest, where he sobbed until sleep claimed him.

Two weeks after Lynx had made his entry, Prue decided it was nearly time for his son or daughter to make his or her entrance, ready or not. Cindy’s due date was approximately two weeks away, and over the last week her condition had taken another slight downturn. Prue wanted to do everything she could do to makes sure mother and child had the best chance of surviving the birth, and in all honesty, she knew the odds for Cindy would decrease if she had to go through labor in her weakened condition.

Lynx, who had trusted Prue with his wife and hopes for a child since day one, trusted her judgment again, and gave his consent. Tess and Bob were there and took care of phoning family and friends, informing them that Cindy’s surgery was scheduled in three days.

As those who could come made arrangements to be there, they marked the date on the calendar and smiled with a glimmer of hope. If all went according to schedule, the baby would be born on March 17th, St. Patrick’s Day.

Maggie O’Malley was at a tournament when she got the telegram. The Irish Cheetah dropped to her knees and said the words similar to those on the lips of most all the world that day. “May God and the luck of the Irish be with Cindy, Lynx and the new life that comes into the world on this day.”


 
Chapter Twenty
Desperation
 

By early afternoon on the 16th, the last of the friends and family who could make it had arrived. They packed the tiny hospital, offering comfort to each other and to Lynx, anxiously awaiting the blessed event.

Prue entered Cindy’s room, exchanged hugs with the people she’d grown to know and love as her own family. Finally, she asked if everyone save for Lynx would leave, as she needed a few moments alone with him before they prepped Cindy for surgery.

Prue watched the last of them file out before she turned her attentionto the haggard looking man whose condition had deteriorated right along with his wife’s. Starting with a warm hug, she eventually pulled back to say the words she’d been praying for the last few months she wouldn’t have to say.

“Lynx, you know we’ve done everything we could to bring Cindy back to you. Nobody, and I mean nobody, wants her to sit up in that bed and smile at you more than I do. I ... I’m the one that put her there. If I hadn’t come along, the two of you would have adopted a child by now and been living happily ever after. I’m never going to be able to forgive myself for what this has cost both of you.”

Lynx knew the pain that Prue carried. he’d seen it every day she had to give him the same unchanging report on Cindy’s condition. He had tried to tell her several times since Cindy had gone into the coma that it wasn’t her fault, and that no one had blamed her. He tried once again to interrupt her to tell her, but she waved him off, begging for his patience.

“Please Lynx let me finish. I have a lot of regrets. I regret I didn’t just keep Cindy here for the duration of the pregnancy; perhaps she would never have contracted chicken pox. I regret giving interviews when I should have been in the lab looking over every conceivable possibility, and then perhaps I would have seen this coming. I regret that in two months of having the world’s finest medical minds to draw on, I can’t find a way to wake Cindy up to experience what should be one of the happiest moments in her life. I regret all those things, Lynx, but there isn’t anything I can do about it. It’s in the past, and I’m going to have to deal with it and somehow move on.”

Prue stopped a moment turning her attention to the view out the window. Afternoon was giving way to evening, and the beach in the distance seemed to be inviting her for a sunset stroll. She had taken many such walks with her hubby, and the thought of never holding his hand again as she walked along the sand was more than she could bear, yet she felt compelled now to tell Lynx he might have to do just that. He might have no choice but to move on.

She turned back to face her friend and the sleeping woman he had been beside for months. She needed to say these words to Lynx, not only as his wife’s physician, or the friend she had become to them both, but because she knew Cindy would want her to.

“Lynx, shortly we’ll be taking Cindy into surgery, and God willing, you’ll be able to witness the miracle of birth. Every test we can possibly run on the baby says it’s as strong and healthy as can be. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t be holding your child in your arms before this night is through. Cindy’s condition, as you know, isn’t as promising. She’s been slowly deteriorating for quite sometime, but if there aren’t major complications, I feel very confident she will survive the birth. It’s … well … it’s after she has the baby that I’m worried about, and I don’t just mean her. I mean you as well, Lynx.”

Cindy’s soul mate gave Prue a puzzled look. “Me? I don’t understand what you mean Prue. I’m fine.”

The tired brunette sighed. “Lynx you’re anything but fine, and you know it. This bedside vigil of yours is slowly killing you. If the malnutrition and lack of sleep doesn’t do it physically, the stress and grief is going to do it emotionally. As your friend, I supported you doing this for the same reason that the rest of your friends and family did. I wanted to believe she was going to be coming back to us soon, and that the bond you shared with her would help make that possible. When that didn’t happen, I didn’t have the heart to say what needed to be said.

As your physician, I should have found those words a few weeks after Cindy went into her coma, but I didn’t. I guess I was so eaten up with my guilt over taking Cindy away from you once; I didn’t have the strength to do it a second time. Well, now I don’t have any choice in the matter. There are things that have to be said, and things are going to have to be done, and I mean by both of us.”

Prue reached out and took Lynx’s hand. “Lynx, when Cindy comes out of this surgery, she can no longer be your sole responsibility in life. You’re going to be a parent, and that means that from now on, everything and everyone takes a backseat to that bundle of joy. That child is going to need every bit of love and attention you can give, especially without Cindy there to give hers. What I am saying is. Lynx, all of this has got to stop!”

Prue waved her arm, showcasing the room that had become Lynx’s flower-filled prison of love. “You have to take your child home, Lynx. You have do it for the child, for yourself, and for Cindy. When I said you have to move on, this, she motioned to the room again, “is what I’m talking about moving on from. You know I don’t mean you have to give up on Cindy, but you have got to give up putting your life on hold. You’ve going to have another life now that can’t be put on hold.”

Prue stopped, feeling both that she’d said more than she wanted to, and yet not nearly enough, but she needed a breath, and Lynx needed his chance to speak, even if it was to tell her she was out of line or totally wrong.

Lynx said neither. In fact, he quietly turned his attention away from Prue to stare once more at the face he’d been gazing at day after day .

A minute, almost two passed before he finally spoke. “Prue”, he said softly still staring at his beloved, “I know. I know that I can’t stay here. I know any other doctor would have thrown me out a long time ago. Thanks for not being “any other” doctor.” Somehow he even got out a wan smile..

Prue gave him a glimpse of her grin, saying, “You’re welcome.”

“I also know that when the baby comes I’m going to have to have to make some changes, and let go of a few things, but I’m never letting go of Cindy, and I’m not giving up on her,” he quickly added. “I can’t. She’s my love.”

Lynx eyes drifted back to the sleeping beauty that held his heart and he took her seemingly lifeless hand in his. “Wherever she goes from here, I will be nearby.”

Prue sighed heavily, “Lynx, I’m not saying you have to let go of the love you have for Cindy or give up all hope. What I am saying, is that at least for now, you are going to have to give up the vigil and come back to the land of the living. You know I’ll do everything here to continue to give her the best care, or we can make arrangements to have her set up at any hospital you want, as close to your home as you want, and with any other doctor you want. Hopefully, Cindy will pull through all this, and when she does, she’ll be up and walking alongside you on the beach while your child chases ocean waves.”

Lynx smiled as he imagined the ocean scene. It was one he and Cindy had daydreamed countless times. When the daydream ended, the smile faded, as his thoughts turned dark. He had to ask the question that HE had been dreading to ask for quite sometime.

“Prue, you’ve been straight with us from day one, and now more than ever I have to hear the truth. It’s been over two months, now and there’s been no improvement at all. Prue, what are the real chances that she’s going to come out of this? Please, Prue, don’t give me something to hold onto that’s not real. I want the truth, please!”

Brown eyes filled with compassion and misted with tears. “Lynx, it's just like I told you before. I honestly don’t know. There have been cases where people have been in comas for years and woke up feeling like they’d had a good night sleep, but … that is the exception rather than the rule. Realistically, the longer she “sleeps” the less likely it is she will wake up. I mean we can continue to feed her, and when the organs start shutting down, we can continue to maintain her through, well … artificial means. We can prolong her existence for quite a while in most cases.”

“Pruuuuu …” Lynx gently scolded the runaway physician.

Prue stopped and nodded, reluctantly giving in. “The pregnancy has really been hard on Cindy in her condition. When I said I felt confident that she will survive the surgery, I meant it, but Lynx, if she doesn’t make a pretty rapid improvement afterwards, I’m afraid in a very short time she could be totally dependent upon life-sustaining measures.”

Prue sniffled back tears, “Putting it as straight as I can, the chances of her coming out of this after two months are not good, and if there are any complications from the surgery, then it’s even less. We’ll do all we can, but ultimately you may be faced with another difficult decision.”

Lynx nodded quietly, drawing what strength he could find and then offered up his best prince smile. “Thanks, Prue. Thank you for being honest with me. I didn’t want hear what you just said, but I needed to hear it, and from you. I know what I have to do. I know what Cindy would want me to do, and I’m ready, or as ready as I’ll ever be to do it. I know if the time comes for me to make the kind of decision you’re talking about, I can do it, but Prue, I know in my heart, she’s coming back to me. She’s like Tess, she’s just too damn stubborn to give up even when it seems there’s no way she can win. She never gave up in her fight to be a woman. She never gave up on the tennis court, and I just know she won’t give up on me or her chance to be a mommy. I just know it!”

Prue hugged him tightly; hoping with all her heart that his steadfast belief in Cindy could bring her back when medical science could not.

“Well … speaking of mommies and daddies”, Prue smiled through her tears as she broke the embrace. “We need to get Cindy prepped for surgery so that you’ll be able to hold the little miracle that’s given you the right to wear that title.”

Lynx smiled and stepped back as Prue summoned a nurse to help her do just that.

Ten minutes later Lynx and Cindy emerged from the room neither had left for over two months. All those who waited to greet them, had been hoping for quite some time that Cindy would be walking hand in hand with Lynx when she left that room.

As the gurney rolled into the hallway, Sleeping Beauty wasn’t able to walk with her Prince Charming, but she was by his side and he held her hand lovingly.

One by one, family and friends hugged and kissed the royal couple, promising prayers and offering well-wishes for both the princess and the little life within her that was about to make its debut.

Kim, heart condition be damned, was there as she had been for every other surgery her youngest daughter had ever had.

Bill held Cindy’s hand and told her how proud of her he’d always been and how lucky he was to have a wonderful daughter like her.

Ally kissed her little sister on the cheek and told her she couldn’t wait for her to know the incredible magic of holding her baby for the first time.

Jenna smiled through her tears as she looked at Cindy’s swollen tummy. Cindy’s best friend, who had shared so much with her over the years, then challenged her to keep up the tradition by telling her she fully expected them to take their kids to the park and have summer cookouts just like they had been planning for years. She left her with a gentle kiss, saying she was holding her to that promise.

Bob brushed back Cindy’s hair to kiss her lightly on the forehead as he had so many times before when she was but a sad child who’d sought him out to help chase the demons away. With all his heart, he wished a gentle kiss and hug would chase away the demons that pursued her this time, and bring her and her child back to those who loved them.

Shelly squeezed her sleeping friend’s hand, offering both her and her unborn child blessings in Yiddish, and Maggie O’Malley who had arrived literally just minutes before Cindy was wheeled out, represented the Catholic faith as she knelt by the gurney, held her rosary beads in her hand and said prayers for her friend and double’s partner.

Christian, Caroline and Tess were the last stop before surgery. Christian did no more than stand with a hand on the shoulders of his wife and daughter, as they shared a moment with Cindy before they closed their eyes. To those watching, it appeared as though each was praying silently, but those who knew, understood that the two spiritually gifted women were doing far more than asking for divine intervention. They were trying to channel whatever healing energies that flowed through them into Cindy, as she needed them now more than ever.

Finally, Prue, Lynx, and the staff disappeared into the operating room and for those outside the doors, the wait began.

Shortly after 10 p.m. March 16th, Cindy was finally pronounced ready for surgery. Lynx, Prue and her surgical team, which included Horatio “Huggy” Bear, the kind-hearted pediatrician who’d helped connect the parties involved, would be the only ones witnessing this miracle first hand. Cameras and recording equipment though, had been stationed through out the theatre to capture this magical moment for the medical community and posterity.

Outside in the waiting room, over a dozen people paced and prayed for those inside, and outside the hospital, the world came together as they set aside all differences for at least one night, and an outpouring of love was directed at that tiny hospital in New Zealand.

Once Cindy was properly prepared, Prue began giving orders to her staff and doing a running narrative on each step of the procedure for the benefit of those who one day would be listening and watching medical history in the making.

Lynx remained at Cindy’s side with no intention of leaving unless Prue ordered him out of the way should she or her staff need the room to work. As Prue held the scalpel in her hand and readied herself to make the incision on the line she had just drawn moments earlier, she said a silent prayer, one not intended for the millions who would eventually be in attendance. As many doctors before her had stood over a patient prior to surgery, she simply asked that the powers that be guide the hands that now held this patient’s life in them.

Prue checked with her staff, making sure everyone was ready, including the nurse whose secondary job was to keep an eye on Lynx should the sight of his wife’s body being cut open get the better of him and he need to sit down or be removed.

Soft music played in the background, an old habit that Prue had picked up from one of the skilled surgeons who had trained her while she was a resident. If anyone would appreciate the magic in music, it would be Lynx and he smiled at Prue when the song started, knowing it was helping her to focus, just as music always had done him.

Finally and fittingly, there among the state of the art equipment in the pristine cathedral that was the operating room, stood a small yellow vase holding two red roses. One being for the love Lynx had pledged to Cindy today, and one for the promise of tomorrow. Nothing would make tomorrow sweeter, than if Lynx could present those two roses to his beloved soul mate while she smiled and held their child in her arms. Lynx held hopes for that tomorrow as he held Cindy’s hand and watched Prue make her first incision.

It didn’t take long for Prue to discover that her worst fears, even the ones she held back from Lynx were coming true right before her eyes. Any doctor will tell you that it’s normally better for both the mother and child when birth comes the old fashioned way. Having to take the child Cesarean runs a heavy risk from infection, and complications due to blood loss, but this extraction was going to be doubly difficult. Considering that Cindy’s pelvic area, even having spread somewhat as a result of the physical changes, was still far narrower than a genetic woman’s, Prue would be working in extremely close quarters, with almost no margin for error.

For those familiar with the board game Operation, they know it takes a steady hand to extract the “funny bone” without touching the sides. Failing in your task sets off the light and buzzer that means you’ve lost the patient. In this real life master’s version of the game, Prue knew her skills were going to be severely tested, and if she faltered, there would be far more lost here than play money and bragging rights in a children’s game.

The risks and difficulties of the Cesarean were ones Prue had known she be facing going in. It was what she found once she got in that had nearly buckled her knees at the table. Cindy’s new reproductive system had served as a battleground between the anti-bodies that had waged the Chicken Pox War there, and the devastation to it was far more severe than Prue had originally thought. She knew almost immediately that the baby wasn’t the only thing that had to come out of Cindy. She sighed heavily knowing that even if Cindy was able to return to the land of the living, she would never know the feeling of a second heart beat within her again, as Prue would have to do a complete hysterectomy.

The damage to the reproductive system was further complicated by scar tissue still remaining from Cindy’s original sex reassignment surgery. It too, was more extensive than Prue had originally thought and while in and of itself, it wasn’t life threatening to either Cindy or her child, it was just one more thing put on the scale that weighed against the young woman. Add in Cindy’s depleted condition from the coma and the additional stress to her system due to the necessary hysterectomy, it was easy to see that it was going to be a long and perilous night ahead.

The lone bright star in the dark night was the baby. Despite the damage to Cindy’s reproductive system, despite the fact that they were taking it a bit early, and despite the fact that it did appear to be a bit undersized, its vitals appeared to be strong, and Prue had every reason to believe she was going to be able to deliver it healthy. It was that knowledge that kept Prue’s spirits high and her hands steady as she literally held two lives in her hands.

Lynx stood there, hearing Prue bark out orders, watching half a dozen staff members scramble to keep up with them. There was blood, more blood than he’d ever seen before. He heard the soft music in the background. He felt a slight chill in the room and remembered Prue telling him the cooler temperatures help fight the risk of infection. His face felt warm though, and that was from the lights that beat down on them while Prue worked. All of this was going on and he was aware of it, but his true focus was on Cindy. He was talking to her. Sometimes he spoke out loud, and other times it was through his soul mate connection with her. He was describing to her as best as someone not trained in the medical profession could, what was going on in and outside her. He told her of the others outside the door waiting to welcome her and their child. He spoke of the future they had daydreamed together for so long, and most of all, he held her hand tightly and continued to proclaim his love for her, pleading with her to “just hold on!’

Prue continued working at a fevered pitch, narrating for future generations, constantly asking for suction to remove the fast flowing blood and for a wipe, as despite the cooler temperatures the stress and lights had perspiration forever on her brow.

The stress levels went through the roof several times, the first time being just before Prue went to remove the baby. Cindy's blood pressure dropped dramatically and then the heart monitor went flat line. Lynx was pushed back from the table, but his fingertips never lost contact with Cindy’s. For thirty of the longest seconds of Lynx’s life, his wife lay clinically dead on the operating table, but by the skill of the medical team and/or God’s grace, the heart monitor started again. Prue’s head dropped in silent prayer or sheer exhaustion and then finally she went back in to bring the new life out.

On March 17th, at 1:22 a.m, a baby’s cry signaled history had been made as Prue cut the cord on a bloody but beautiful baby girl. She had known for quite some time that Cindy was carrying a girl, but as per the parent’s request she had kept that a secret. When the nurse put Lynx’s newborn daughter in his arms, the happy tears running down his face told the Prue that he couldn’t be happier about having a “daddy’s little girl”.

As Lynx held this new life in his arms, he was totally overwhelmed and humbled by it. She was pure love, the product of Cindy’s and his love, and holding her, feeling her warmth, and seeing such love in those beautiful sky blue eyes was like no joy he’d ever known. He’d toured the world, made a small fortune, known the power, the prestige, and thrill of holding 70,000 screaming fans in the palm of his hand, but it all paled in significance, when compared to the small child who held his heart as he held her.

Reluctantly, and temporarily, he released the little princess into the custody of a nurse, and once again turned his attentions to the big princess who lay sleeping before him. He squeezed her hand lovingly, trying to find the words to describe how beautiful their child was and finally, just praying that Cindy would just open her eyes so she could see for herself.

The word was quickly passed on to those outside waiting and cheers and whistles were heard from all over the facility, welcoming the new life. Shelly made just one phone call to the outside world. It was all she needed to make. One woman had graciously offered her assistance as go between with the various wire services and newspapers when it came time to make the announcement. It seemed perfectly fitting that the woman who’d brought the true story of Cindy’s pregnancy to the world should be the same one who was given the honor of announcing the healthy birth. Betsy Warren shared tears of joy with Shelly as she took down what skimpy vital statistics Shelly had to offer and then hung up to start making calls.

Back inside the operating room, the celebration was short-lived, as Prue and company immediately began working on their other patient. Her condition was far more perilous. Ideally, Prue would have postponed the hysterectomy until Cindy was stronger, but she couldn’t gamble on that happening later, and even if she could, the damage was just too severe. It would be just as hard on the patient to try and do patchwork surgery as it would to just do what needed to be done.

Prue had one concern that she did not share with Lynx, her staff or those who would one day be listening in. With Cindy’s baby now safely delivered into the outside world, she feared the young woman, feeling her most important task was now complete, might lose her desire to fight and simply drift off to the afterlife that awaited her. From a purely medical standpoint, there was no evidence to substantiate that theory, nor for that matter that Cindy had any awareness of her child’s current condition. Prue, however wasn’t one to simply stand on what the medical world said could or could not be. If she were, then that little life that she had taken from within Cindy would never have been born. She did believe there was far more to life than what any medical instrument could prove or measure. She believed that somehow, on some level, Cindy was aware, even if she couldn’t respond. It was one of the main reasons why she had allowed Lynx to stay in Cindy’s room all that time, and why she allowed him to hold her hand now. If the young woman was going to fight, she needed to be close to the things that were worth fighting for.

Prue looked at Lynx, giving him her best tired but hopeful smile before she started in again. She spent the next two and half hours removing and repairing damaged tissue as she battled the clock and the never-ending blood flow. Two more times she very nearly lost her patient as Cindy’s blood pressure and heartbeat went flatline, but both times they brought her back or she fought back, or perhaps it was the combination of both. Shortly after 4:00 am an exhausted Prue allowed her nurse to finish the final few stitches as she made her closing remarks on the narrative and hugged Lynx tightly. Mother and child had survived, and all they could do was have hope for the future.

When Prue and Lynx made their way out of the operating room they were pulled into a loving group hug by those who shared their love for two princesses who both now lay sleeping. Congratulations, handshakes, tears of joy and more hugs were exchanged and a few much needed cups of coffee were emptied after the long night. Lynx stayed close to Cindy though, as she was put back into her room, and eventually the room filled to capacity as everyone awaited the first viewing of the tiny new princess.

Eventually the door opened and Prue walked in, smiling as she carried the guest of honor in her arms. The sleeping infant was greeted by choruses of Ohhhh’s and Awwwww’s as everyone gathered around to see the tiny miracle. If love could be measured by a medical monitor, the amount in that room would have been off the scale.

Prue transferred the little beauty into the proud father’s arms and his face beamed with pride. He held her lovingly, allowing all to bask in her beauty and then he sat down next to Cindy. The room quieted as he sat, silently watching his beloved sleep. For two months he’d been doing that, and not a moment had gone by that he hadn’t expected her to open her eyes and smile at him. Now, as he held their daughter in his arms, he wished more than ever that she would just open her eyes and see the miracle they’d created.

With tears in his eyes, he waited for his sleeping beauty to awaken. When she did not, he sighed heavily and did the only thing he could do. He gently placed the sleeping infant on Cindy’s chest, hoping that she could at least feel her presence, if not see her.

No sooner HAD he’d put her there than the child woke and let out a soft cry. What happened then could only be described as a miracle of Hollywood and biblical proportions. Everyone who had been blessed to witness it, would each have their own account of what transpired, but by far the best account of what happened was from Sleeping Beauty herself. Cindy’s final entry in her diary was dictated to, and written by her sister Ally, as Cindy was too weak to write, but

Cindy's Diary, March 17th, late evening

“Happy Birthday, little one and I hope to be able to spend many more with you, although I don't know how any future birthdays could possibly be more special than this one has been. You made your emergence into the world and I returned to it today. I think you and I made a whole lot of people happy, and I know how happy you've made me. I'm just so glad you didn't let me sleep in and miss all the magical moments I know your life is going to be filled with.

You would think that after nearly three months of us cuddling together and sleeping that I wouldn't be the least bit tired but I was. When your Auntie Prue reached in and took you from me, I suddenly got so very tired. I guess I knew your father and your family were there to watch over you as I had been, and finally I could really get a good rest. You know, having you kick me in the kidneys every time you stretched really made it hard to sleep peacefully sometimes (giggle).

Well, I finally started drifting off. I felt like I was floating on a cloud now and I was so warm and cozy and peaceful. I think just a few minutes more and I would have been gone, but then someone (YOU) let out a soft cry and I knew I couldn't go to sleep now. My baby was crying and I just had to wake up and be sure you were all right. See, one day when you have a child of your own, you'll learn that there are times when a mother can sleep through a bomb blast, and yet she'll wake up instantly at her child's softest cry.

I will never forget what I saw, felt and smelled when I woke. If there are words to describe something this beautiful, I don't know them, but I'll try to do the best I can. Even before I opened my eyes, I felt and smelled things. I felt warmth on my face and I knew it was the warm morning sun peeking in my window. I could smell just a hint of salt from the ocean spray, so I knew the window was open a bit. I could smell the sweet scent of roses, so strong I thought somehow I'd fallen asleep in your grandma Caroline’s garden.

Then the light filtered in as I slowly opened my eyes. I was right about that sun. From the shadow it cast, I knew it was shortly after dawn, and I remember smiling because this is one of my favorite parts of the day. I always feel so alive in the mornings.

As my eyes were finding their way in the light, my ears were one step ahead, and I could hear voices so close and so clear. Before, while I'd slept, I'd heard voices, most often your father's, but they would drift in and out, or maybe it was I doing the drifting. I'm not really sure which, but now I could make out every word and you want to know something? Those words were all about you and they were saying how beautiful you were. I couldn't have been more proud. I also heard you breathing as your tiny warm body lay against mine, our hearts beating together again. Then you gave another soft cry and my eyes fluttered open.

What I saw then, was a room full of everything I held dear. People, all the family and friends that I loved dearly seemed to be there. Roses, oh my darling, you should have seen the roses! I truly had awakened in a flower garden filled with the daily token of your father's love for me. And yes, among those people, stood your father. I don't think I've ever seen him look so tired and thin, yet he was still my handsome prince, and he had such love and pride in his eyes as he looked at you. Of course, the most beautiful sight of all was YOU! You were such a tiny precious package of pure love, and when I saw you and heard your soft cry, I cried too.


 
Chapter Twenty-One
Coming Together
 
“It was only a few seconds before the entire room was crying, as well as shouting and hugging and dancing and doing just about everything ever associated with celebrating. Of course all this commotion just made you cry all that much more, but I held you tight as your father held us both and soon you were sleeping peacefully again.

The rest of the day has been quite a blur. Your Auntie Prue has been doing the poke, prod and probe on me just like old times and pronounced me the second bonafide miracle to take place in the hospital today. She's says I should be fine, but it's going to be awhile before your father and I will be able to take you out to show you our favorite grand lady, the ocean.

All of our friends and family have been hugging and kissing us and trying to feed us. Seems like we are both a little underweight right now but if your Grandparents have anything to do with it, we won't be for long. That beautiful father of yours hasn't left our side all day and from what I have been told, this has gone on for over two months. Well, I finally put him to bed next to us and I think he needs the sleeps almost as badly as I thought I did.

Oh, one final note. After all the fuss subsided, it came to your father’s and my attention that our beautiful little princess didn't have a name. Since I had been well, sort of asleep on the job as it were, I hadn't had time to go through all the baby books. Your father would have been content with just calling you princess for the rest of your life, but I wanted you to have a proper name. My thoughts turned back to just before I laid eyes on you this morning and then without a doubt I knew your name. I felt it on my face at the day's first light and it was in the air when the Grand Lady's perfume welcomed me home. It told me you were our Misty Dawn, as beautiful and as full of hope and promise as a new day. Your father and I join all your family and friends in welcoming you to this world.

Now, your mother needs to take a little nap, while you and your father nap. Don't worry though my precious little Misty Dawn. It's just going to be a short one this time. I promise. All my love, Mommy.”

“P.S. Misty, someday when you read this, you may notice that the handwriting is not your mothers. Your mother is too weak to hold a pen right now, so your Aunt Jenna is writing down her words for her. After these miracles, you have a wonderful life ahead of you.
Love, Aunt Jenna.”

Cindy’s Diary became sort of a combination, “welcome to this world Misty Dawn and welcome home again Cindy”, book as most all those in attendance followed Cindy’s entry with a few thoughts of their own at witnessing a true miracle.

Tess’ words echoed most of the other’s and perhaps said it best of all. “ Misty, they say there is no power greater than the power of love and if I ever doubted that, I don’t now. Love brought your parents together. Love for her fellow man inspired Prue to do her research. Love between your parents created you. Love from your mother helped you grow and stay safe until it was time for you to join this world. Love for your mother and for you is what kept your daddy nearby while your mommy slept. And finally it was love that woke your mommy: both the mother’s love that wakes her when her child cries, and the love from your father, your family, the Big Guy upstairs and a world outside who was praying to him on bended knee. Pure love little one. It’s the answer. It’s the cure. It’s why were here and its what I saw the moment your mommy woke and held you in her arms. All my love, Auntie Tess”

Cindy recovered faster physically than Prue thought possible, but the mental healing would take much longer. Despite the fact it wasn’t her fault she’d lain in a coma for nearly three months, she couldn’t help, but feel guilt over the pain and anguish she felt she had caused to those who wondered if she’d ever return. She also had to deal with the hysterectomy that Prue had performed. At first, somehow she felt as though she’d been cheated, short-changed by fate who repossessed her “baby maker” after one year, but the feelings faded quickly as she realized that in being blessed with Misty, she’d gotten her money’s worth, and then some.

Three weeks after giving birth, Cindy and Lynx took Misty Dawn out on the beach to meet the Grand Lady. The little one was all smiles and completely at home there. Of course, how could she not be? It is a family tradition, you know.

When the outside world found out that both mother and daughter were doing fine, it set off a world-wide celebration that went on for some time, and the spirit of togetherness that had been forged while those two lives were in the balance, lingered on a little longer than anyone expected. But the first Camelot didn't last, and sadly, this one was just as ill-fated. Long before Cindy and Lynx could take Misty Dawn into the world, it was once again the embattled place it had been before.

Four years after Misty’s emergence and Cindy's recovery, Misty was a happy little toddler with light blonde hair and beautiful sky blue eyes that had yet to darken. Her parent's hoped they never would. Of course probably the main reason they’ve stayed so light is from flash exposure. No child could possibly be more photographed than little Misty had been. Lynx and Cindy were being the usual doting first time parent's and snapping shots of her everyday, but not too many kids have had their bare bottom gracing the centerfold of countless medical magazines or the front page of nearly every major paper. Then again, Misty was the most famous miracle baby to come along in almost 2,000 years, and there was no telling how long it would be before another one followed her, at least with Prue having a hand in it.

The cute Kiwi medicine woman, at the urging of the major medical community, and because of her own personal ethics, announced she would not be subjecting any more patients to the process, at least for the forseeable future. After what had happened with Cindy, she felt she needed to improve the methods to lessen the risk. Still, she was flooded with thousands of letters from desperate people more than willing to take any risk, considering the promise, but sadly she had to turn them away. She did offer them the promise of hope, saying she would be continuing the research and with some of the most brilliant minds in medicine now offering their assistance, she felt confident the wait would be a short one.

Lynx, Cindy and Misty Dawn were a very happy family who wanted nothing more than to live a normal life as one, but for three celebrities of their caliber, that wasn’t always possible. Something like a short hop to the market to pick up a pack of diapers often turned into a shopping center autograph and photo session. Cindy didn’t play professional tennis anymore but she never missed another Wimbledon. She, along with Lynx and Misty enjoyed the show courtside.

Lynx and the Kool Kats still performed a few times each year, with Cindy and Misty as their guests of honor. At the coaxing of the audience and the band, the pair of princesses made a few brief forays into the limelight, but for the most part they were more than content to be off-stage watching “Daddy” and the band make magic. That sort of time in the public eye had to be more the exception, than the rule.

Normally the threesome were quite content to be homebodies, spending most of their days walking on the beach and sailing near the coast of their California home, or sitting around the fire at their home in Denmark , snuggling and singing or exploring the beautiful countryside.

Cindy continued to pound tennis balls into the asphalt shortly after dawn, but now many mornings she had both her beloved and her little protégé in attendance. Misty had a white tennis dress by age two and a killer net game for a toddler, by age four. Lynx was looking forward to the day when Misty became his first mate on the sailboat or could pluck her first chords on the guitar, but for now, he was content to just sing her to sleep and watch her big eyes grow wide at the wonders of each new day.

The happy family did leave home often enough to make trips to see both sets of grandparents, as well as all the uncles and aunts in Canada, Denmark, England, New York and New Zealand, but more often than not, they enticed family and friends to come see them. Lynx and Cindy already had more frequent flyer miles from their life on the road than they could ever use, but they didn’t want most of Misty’s childhood memories to be set at an airport or on a 747. They also loved playing host and hostess to the family and friends who so often did the same for them. So, save for a few special occasions, if you were looking for the famous family, you would find them at home and happy to be there.

No matter what the threesome did each day, or who they shared it with or even where they bedded down at night, there remained a single constant. It had survived for a decade, and had never missed a day, even in the face of illness or the great distance that had often kept the two soul mates physically apart. Sometime during each day, and often with Misty as a witness now, Lynx would present Cindy with a symbol of his love for her, and as he handed her the rose, he would vow to continue to do so each day that the love and magic lasted. After over 3,600 roses, there was no sign that the love or magic would ever end, and each succeeding rose was as special to Cindy as the first.

In May, a few months after Misty’s fourth birthday, they made one of their rare public appearances, and as usual it was for a very special occasion. Lynx and the Kool Kats had been asked to do a benefit concert in Los Angeles. The proceeds would be going to Tess’ Singing Angel foundation, to be spread among children’s homes, hospitals, and families in need. That in and of itself, was enough to pull the band members back together for a gig, but the occasion also held a special significance for Lynx and Cindy, as it would be held exactly ten years to the day after they’d first met on that beach, changing each other’s lives forever, and eventually resulting in bringing a new life into this world. After ten years they returned to where it all started and for those of you who have been able to brave these 100,000 or so words you have also returned to where it all started.

I suppose at this point, I could end the story here by saying the concert was a success, which it was. Lynx continued to give Cindy a rose each day, just as he still does today, and they’ve all lived pretty much happily ever after.

Yeah, I suppose I could, and I’d be telling you the truth too, but … I think you’re entitled to the rest of the story and proof positive that what you’ve been reading is a factual account. So, if you can bear with me there is just a little bit more, and when I say, “little bit”, I guess you might say I mean that literally.

The private performance that Lynx and the Kool Kats gave, was to Cindy and Misty. It drew great praise from the pair of princesses, and the grateful group gave several encores for their special fans. The public concert the next day was equally well received and the band rocked the capacity coliseum just like old times. Lynx, having brought his Admiral’s hat out of retirement, was still the ultimate stage presence, and along with the rest of the Kool Kats, made sweet love to the crowd, whipping them into a rock and roll frenzy and then easing them back down again with a soft soulful ballad. Cindy reluctantly made an appearance as nearly a 100,000 fans didn’t appear to want to take no for answer. She stayed for just one song, but it was the one they all wanted to hear. She sang a duet of the Rose with her beloved, and then received the day’s rose before slipping away to re join her daughter with “Aunt Jenna,” stage side.

The concert ended after a half dozen encores and Tess thanking the crowd for helping to make the lives of thousands of children brighter through the tickets they’d purchased and the monies that had been collected that night through donations.

The next day, Tess asked her twin and his wife if they would accompany her while she made her rounds as the Singing Angel. She assured them it would really put a smile on the faces of some children that really needed it. She also told them it would give her the chance to show them what the monies went for, and who was really benefiting from them. She finally added that Jenna and Rich had already agreed to go and Uncle Bob was ready, willing and able to babysit both Misty Dawn and Becky. Rebecca, affectionately know as Becky Anne, was Rich and Jenna's three-year-old pride and joy.

Lynx and Cindy exchanged glances as they listened to Tess’ plea, quietly making Tess wait, before finally admitting with a grin that she’d had them at ‘making children smile.’ Tess quickly started a group hug and then hurried them out to pick up Rich and Jenna for the guided tour and drop Misty off at her house, so her husband could take care of his nieces.

The tour started at a local children’s community center that would be receiving a new game room and playground, area courtesy of the Singing Angel Foundation. The kids were sporting the big smiles that Tess had promised as the gang worked their magic. Cindy gave tennis lessons to a horde of little Wimbledon hopefuls, while Jenna helped out in the kitchen making sure no child was without a warm cookie and a cold drink. Rich, Jon, Tess and Lynx gave an impromptu concert which ended as a sing-a-long of popular children’s song.

From the center, they went to a children’s hospital and brought smiles to children who needed it most of all. A new wing would be built with some of the money collected at the previous day’s concert and after both Jenna and Cindy pulled out their checkbooks, the beds and other equipment needed to furnish it would also be provided.

The Singing Angel, with heavenly harmony from the five others who accompanied her, went from bed to bed and from ward to ward, bringing happiness and hope to sick little ones who often had very little of either. Several times both Cindy and Jenna had to take a break and shed tears for these children in private, so they could keep up their smiles for them in public. They stayed at the hospital nearly three hours, but the memories of the children would stay with all of them far longer.

The final stop on the tour was a children’s home. Lynx and Cindy had very nearly visited the venerable old place when they had originally prepared to pursue parenthood via plan A. Formerly the three-story home and expansive grounds had all been part of an estate belonging to some of Los Angeles’ famed “Old Money”. Some thirty years ago the lady of the manor passed away, and left it all to a charitable organization, with the proviso it be used as a children’s home. She had been unmarried but adored children and wanted there to be happy children playing there even if she wasn’t alive to enjoy it.

They had fulfilled her request and the mansion had been alive with the sound of children ever since, but the monies the woman had left for upkeep had long since run out and the city had been short on funds to properly maintain the place itself.

Eventually, a young woman who loved kids, came to the trust with an offer. She had money of her own from a trust, that would let her take over the operation of the place from the nearly bankrupt trust. After three years, the trustees could see nothing wrong, and everything right with the way she was running the home, and gave her complete ownership.

But while she was keeping it alive, her funds were only enough to make sure the kids were taken care of, including a bit of spending money and the occasional outing. The property itself began to deteriorate after the state cut back on funds as part of a ‘budget crisis’. Proceeds from the concert would have the stately manor and grounds back in good shape again, pleasing the children, staff and the spirit of the old woman who was said to peek in from time to time.

With so large a house and grounds to cover, the gang decided to divide and conquer. Rich and Jenna split off to see the children playing outside on the grounds, while Tess, Lynx and Cindy took on the four floors of children (attic area included).

For nearly an hour the foursome (the matron of the estate later joined them) toured the first floor and handed out hugs and kisses to the kids that greeted them. Lynx, Cindy and Tess were all deeply saddened by the fact that there were so many beautiful young children with so much love to give, and yet many would grow up right here never having parents of their own to share that love with.

After touring the first floor, Tess and the matron were forced to excuse themselves to handle some of the details of the money transfer, leaving Lynx and Cindy to explore on their own. The second floor was mostly bedrooms and several huge halls that had been converted to recreational areas. Lynx and Cindy chatted with the staff that monitored each section and dished out more love, hugs and songs.

Some fifteen or twenty minutes into wandering around the second floor, Cindy became aware of a presence that seemed to be shadowing her and Lynx. At first, she thought it might be the old lady’s ghost come to call on the visitors to her home. Cindy started to tell Lynx about it, hoping he’d felt the same thing, but thought better of it, not wanting to be teased all the way home that she was being spooked by ghosties.

She continued to meet and greet for the rest of the time they were on the second floor but she still couldn’t shake the feeling she was being followed. After arriving on the third floor that housed bedrooms and recreation areas for most of the older children, Cindy got proof positive that she and Lynx were being tailed, as she caught a glimpse of her stalker. The young woman smiled and breathed a sigh of relief, as the entity was more little girl than the ghost she’d originally feared.

Cindy had heard a giggle or two that escaped a small child’s lips, and more than once she caught just a glimpse of curly auburn hair, and the hem of what looked to be a light blue play dress. A few small fingers she saw out of the corner of her eye gently wiggling around the corner and the quick light steps that ensued whenever Cindy got close, told her that her shadow was but a tiny one.

Again, Cindy was tempted to mention her little friend to Lynx, but decided to wait, not wanting to take any chance of scaring the child off. Now wise to the game, Cindy continued to play “Cat and Mouse” for the rest of their third floor tour. Finally, with nothing left to see but the attic, Cindy decided to make her move.

A beautiful winding staircase led up to an attic that had been remodeled and turned into a huge study and classroom area. Warm sunlight sparkled in a rainbow hue of colors as it poured in through lovely old stained glass windows. When Lynx and Cindy reached the top of the stairs, most of the older kids immediately recognized famed rock and roller Lynx, and pounced on the big cat. Cindy smiled as she told her crowd-favorite husband to go ahead and visit with his fans. Lynx could barely acknowledge her with a wave as he was pulled across the room to meet more of his adoring adolescent public. Cindy's status as a tennis superstar didn't rival the thrill of meeting a rock and roll legend so her reception committee was smaller, but still, every bit as excited and awestruck as the others.

Cindy answered questions and gave backhand tips, all the while keeping a sharp look out for any sign of her shadow. She had just given autographs to some junior members of her fan club who in turn had ran off to show their friends, when she was sure she heard light footsteps making their way up the stairs.

Cindy, borrowing a trick from her shadow, slipped around to the side of a nearby bookcase and waited. Sure enough, her constant companion for three floors finally made an appearance. Cindy positively identified her as soon as she saw the curly auburn locks, button nose, and the blue material of her play dress.

The imp slowly slinked around the opening of the stairway and then hid in the corner surveying the floor, obviously searching for her prey. Finally, Cindy got to see her pint-sized stalker full view. Her original assumption proved to be correct, as the child was a very little one indeed. She stood barely three foot tall, looked no older than Misty, and was thin enough that she could probably fly on a good breeze.

Her auburn curls were long and thick, and looked like they were sorely in need of a few rounds with a good hairbrush. Green eyes sparkled and smiled as they darted from side to side, searching their surroundings. A fair amount of freckles dotted her button nose and cheeks, and even though it wasn’t showing now, Cindy just knew she must have one of those irresistible impish smiles that all little girls her age had.

The little girl’s blue play dress had a Peter Pan collar and was as cute as the child wearing it. From Cindy’s vantage point it appeared to have cats or kittens on it, and what looked like a ball of yarn. The sleeves and hem were trimmed in lace and white lacey anklets complimented them. Two long "kitten tales" dangled from behind which told Cindy that the dress was meant to be tied in the back with a bow, but had probably come undone during the toddler's spirited day of play. What completed or “didn’t complete” the ensemble was shoes. The little sneak wasn’t wearing any, and tiny stockinged toes wiggled nervously as she fidgeted, obviously preparing to dart should she be discovered.

The little one scanned the surrounding area and then frowned. She pulled a pout and sighed heavily. She was saddened no doubt, at having lost her quarry. Cindy felt tears welling in her eyes as she watched her shadow start to slowly slip away. Cindy, not wanting her little friend to disappear without hugs, stepped out from behind the bookcase to call to her, but someone who knew the girl’s name beat her to it.

“Kitten!” shouted one of the girls who just a few minutes ago was getting Cindy’s autograph, “You know you’re not allowed up here!”

The older girl started jogging toward the younger. Kitten’s eyes went wide as she searched for an avenue of escape. Not only had she lost the very precious party she was trailing, but she had also been caught across enemy lines, enemy lines being the attic, which was strictly forbidden to the little ones without escort.

The auburn-haired imp took a step toward her logical escape route, but knew she’d never make it down the stairs before she was apprehended. With no other choice but try and hide in places where bigger girls couldn’t go, she turned toward the bookshelves and the cubbyhole she hoped was still available.

Much to the little one’s surprise, she turned the corner and ran straight into the arms of the woman she’d been tailing and who’d crouched down to catch her. Kitten froze and then went wide-eyed as she slowly looked up to see Cindy’s smiling face.

Cindy offered open arms to the escapee and smiled. “Hello Kitten”

The small child smiled brightly, proving Cindy’s theory about her having an irresistible smile and then pounced into the woman’s arms, clinging to her like a limpet.

Cindy’s heart warmed as she held the toddler against her and then Kitten spoke, although it was more of a cry. Her words melted Cindy’s heart. “Mommy, mommy, mommy! It's you! Me knowed it. Me knowed it.” she squealed, as Cindy felt hot tears streaming down the child’s cheeks.

Cindy struggled to find words to correct the case of mistaken identity, but her heart couldn’t give them, so she held the little bundle and cooed softly to her as she did Misty.

A few second later, Cindy and the Kitten were joined by Heather Rose, the girl who had spied the little one earlier.

“Kitten”, she scolded. “If Miss Hart finds out you’re up here again …”

“Miss Hart HAS found out and you’re going to be in time-out little lady”, came the voice of said matron who’d just ascended the stairs in time to catch the tail end of the drama unfolding.

Heather Rose slipped quietly away as the matron walked toward them. Cindy smiled at the older woman, sending a silent plea of leniency for the little one in her arms. Miss Hart smiled and winked, letting her know the Kitten wouldn’t be punished too severely for her transgression.

“I see you’ve found the Kitten, or more likely, she’s found you”, the matron added with a smile.

Cindy smiled and nodded as she rocked the little bundle in her arms.

The small child turned her head just enough to give the older woman a single green eye as she kept the rest of her body pressed firmly against Cindy’s.

Miss Hart sighed heavily, and then lowered her voice just a bit as a mother does when she scolds a little one. “Kitten, you know little ones are not allowed past the first floor without a big girl or a caretaker. You could get badly hurt if you fell down those stairs.”

The older woman shook her head and then noticing Kitten’s missing attire, added, “And … I see we’ve lost our shoes again as well.”

She winked at Cindy. “Our little Kitten likes to go ‘bear paws’ every chance she gets. It’s all we can do to keep shoes on her.”

Cindy giggled as she thought about her constant battle trying to do the same with Misty, and then the matron’s voice brought her back again.

“Well little lady, what do you have to say for yourself?” her voiced softly scolded.

Kitten raised her head off Cindy’s shoulder and sniffled back tears as she offered hopefully, “But it’s mommy maytwon! Mommy comed home to gets mees, otays?”

Miss Hart sighed heavily, and Cindy could see it was all the older woman could do to keep tears from her own eyes. She started to reach for the Kitten, but that only made the small child cling even tighter to the woman she thought was her mommy.

Cindy came to the rescue as she lifted the little bit’s face from her shoulder. “Kitten, will you play for a moment while I talk to the matron?”

The tearful toddler smiled and nodded bravely, which netted her a gentle kiss from Cindy. Miss Hart seizing the moment, summoned Heather Rose back over, and Cindy released Kitten into her custody. The little girl took a few steps with her friend and then turned and ran back into Cindy’s arms. Cindy hugged her tightly and then sat her back down. Noticing the dangling ties waving at her, she spun the little girl around and put them in a proper bow before sending her off again, with a playful swat on the bottom and orders to be a good girl.

Kitten smiled impishly, neither confirming nor denying honoring Cindy's request, as she placed her hand in Heather Rose’s and started to walk away. Before she had gone more than a few steps, she turned to look back at the lost mommy she had found and wiggled her tiny fingers. Cindy returned the smile and tiny finger wiggle, holding back tears until the little girl finally turned away again.

Once the pair was out of earshot the matron apologized. “I’m really sorry about that Cindy. Sometimes these kids are so desperate to be loved and taken home that they don’t want to wait to get picked.”

Cindy nodded, her heart breaking for all these kids waiting to be loved and wanted. “Well, that little Kitten of yours is such a cutie, and she seemed to be so sure I was her mother. I … I’m sorry I didn’t have the heart to tell her otherwise. I hope I didn’t make matters worse.”

Miss Hart took Cindy’s hand, and directed her to a nearby sofa. “No dear, you didn’t. We’ve been through this several times before with Kitten. I can slip both you and Lynx away without her seeing you leave and she’ll be all right in a little while.”

Once they had found their seats, Cindy glanced over at the little girl who thought she was hers and then turned back toward the matron. “Can you tell me about her? I mean, may I ask what happened to her parents?”

Miss Hart nodded and then told the sad tale. “Katie has been with us now for about eight months. Her nickname, as you already know is Kitten. She’s earned that moniker from her love of anything having to do with kittens and the fact she loves to pounce into any open lap she can find and cuddle in. As for her parents, well … there was no father listed on the birth certificate and none has ever come forward. Her mother died of leukemia about a year ago and if you can believe it, no relatives were either able or willing to take the child in.”

Cindy reached for her purse to find a tissue as her eyes had filled with tears at the thought of that little one ever being unwanted. The experienced matron always prepared for sniffling noses in her line of work, reached into her pocket and pulled one out for her.

“That’s so terrible!” Cindy cried as she thanked her for the tissue. “No wonder she’s looking for a mommy.”

The older woman sighed, “Oh no, not just any mommy, but HER mommy. You see, Kitten had just turned three when her mother died and the last time she saw her, the woman promised she’d get better and come back to take her home. Well, she died almost immediately afterwards and …”

Cindy finished the matron’s words slowly. “Kitten is still waiting for her mommy to come back.”

Tears flowed freely now down her cheeks at thought of this little girl anxiously awaiting the return of a mother who could never come back.

Miss Hart went on to point out that after the first few months, Kitten wanted her mommy back so desperately that any woman with auburn hair and green eyes that even remotely resembled her mother, soon became "mommy", and the tearful display that Cindy had witnessed earlier usually resulted. The counselors had tried to explain to Kitten that her mother was in heaven with the angels and couldn’t come back to collect her, but the four-year-old would have none of it, as she intended to hold her mommy to the last words she’d ever given her. In time, she would make the adjustment, as all the kids eventually did, but for now, there would probably be more days like this one until hopefully another mommy came along to fill the void left by the first.

Cindy felt another round of tears coming on as she thought about how crushed Kitten would be when she left and “Mommy” disappeared once again. She was just about to give into those tears when a smiling face came running toward her, and then the body it belonged to pounced into her lap and hugged her tightly.

“Me backs, Mommy”, the little princess smiled triumphantly.

Heather Rose came running, trying to recapture the elusive kitten, but Cindy smiled and shook her head, letting her know it was all right.

Cindy cuddled and rocked the toddler, cooing softly in her ear. From across the room she made eye contact with Lynx and he started walking over slowly, still followed by the entourage that had greeted him earlier.

Cindy rose to meet him, keeping Kitten safely snuggled in her arms. When Lynx saw the tracks of tears on Cindy’s cheeks, the warm smile on her lips and the pleading look in her eyes, he knew without a word what she was thinking.

He smiled lovingly when he reached her and said softly and simply, “Plan A?”

The young woman nodded as fresh tears started, and she pounced into Lynx’s arms with her new daughter, just as Kitten had pounced into her arms and her heart earlier. That very afternoon preliminary papers were signed and Kitten got to go home with Mommy and Daddy to meet her “big” sister Misty, big by a scant two months, but more than enough to give Misty the privileges that go with the position.

The two girls became inseparable playmates immediately, and Cindy who once lived as a sad little boy wishing for a fairy tale come true, finally got her wish in spades as she had not only become a beautiful princess, but found her handsome prince and pair of little princesses to love as well.

For nearly a year the foursome lived happily ever after, but then Lynx and Cindy started suffering “growing pains”. More aptly, two little girls who became real pains about the family doing some selective growing.

Katie and Misty began imploring their parents to adopt again, specifically, Katie’s best friend their age, Baruchah, and Katie’s ‘big sister,’ Heather Rose. Some adopted kids never go back to the home they had been living in, but Cindy became so involved with the Happy Hart Home, that Miss Hart asked her to serve on the Board of Directors. That meant going there at least once a month, and she always took her girls with her, so Katie was able to keep up her acquaintanceship with her old friends, and Misty got to know them too.

About a year after Katie became Misty’s sister, their begging finally paid off. Lynx and Cindy decided that it might be nice to have more kids, and the two that Katie and Misty wanted as sisters would be an excellent choice.

Making no promises, but informing the girls that they were going to see about adopting Heather Rose and Baruchah, Cindy and Lynx loaded up their pair of princesses for a road trip to “H-3’s”. Seat belts barely contained the two girls as they giggled, bounced and slapped high five’s all the way there.

All four members of the family met with Miss Hart to tell her they were looking to adopt again. Miss Hart was excited and happy at the prospect of placing two more children, especially in loving home like the one that she knew Cindy and Lynx would provide. Her joy however, was shortlived, when they informed her of who they wanted to adopt.

Her face fell and she sighed as she told them, “I’m sorry, but that isn’t going to be possible. I’m afraid another couple has decided to adopt both Heather Rose and Baruchah. In fact, their new parents are helping them pack their things before taking them home. I know the girls would love to tell Misty and Katie good-bye, and I’m pretty sure their new parents wouldn’t mind. In fact, if you’ll give me a minute, I’ll go check with them right now.”

Lynx nodded and Miss Hart headed out the door straight away. She had barely left her office, when both girls started crying and Cindy soon joined them. Even Lynx was having trouble holding his emotions in check.

“Girls,” he finally told them, “I’m so very sorry that we didn’t listen to you earlier, but I’m afraid it looks like we’re too late. However maybe Miss Hart and their new parents will let allow us to stay in touch. We might be able to work out some visits.”

“But I don’t wanna visit Baru once in a while! You tole me she’s gonna be our sister! You promised!” Katie was crying harder than Cindy had ever seen her, and her voice matched her despair. Misty appeared to be just as disappointed, but seemed to have been struck speechless.

Lynx’s heart was breaking but he needed to be firm for all parties, “Katie … you know that’s not true. Neither your mother or I promised we’d adopt them. We said we would talk to Miss Hart about it. Now didn’t we?”

Katie’s lip pushed and her head dropped, “Yes Daddy”.

Cindy pulled both girls in for a cuddle, “And isn’t the most important thing that the girls have a good home with a loving mommy and daddy? Even if that home can’t be ours?”

Both girls dried eyes and cuddled as answered, “Yes Mommy”.

“Girls, I think I hear them coming”, Lynx interrupted the moment. “Now I want you to be brave and happy for them, even if they can’t be your sisters.”

Lynx’s words forced smiles on their faces, but the tracks of tears were still there when Miss Hart returned with the two girls. “Oh, dear. I thought you’d be happy that your friends are going to have a mommy and daddy, even if they can’t be your sisters.”

Cindy brushed a wild curl of Katie’s face and hugged her, “They are … It’s just … that well … the kids have gotten so close and they hate to lose them.”

“Hey! Hey! It’s going to be all right”, Heather Rose rushed over to her two best friends. “We’re not going to lose you. Mom, Dad, come in here!”

Instead of a pair of unknown adults, the couple who came through the door was known to everyone in the room. Cindy was the first to speak, holding her arms out. “You? Tess? Uncle Bob?” Her voice trailed off.

After hugging Tess for a moment, she turned to her daughters. “Girls, I’m sorry they can’t be your sisters, but they’re going to be your cousins, and somehow, I think their new mommy and daddy will have no problem with you visiting them.”

“Only if you let our daughters visit your kids, sis.” Tess quickly added with a grin and a wink.

As Cindy tried to think of a suitably silly answer, the import of it sank in for her daughters, who rushed to the arms of their new cousins. Bob smiled, “Does that mean we have to get together even more often, or is twice a week enough you kids?”

Cindy’s tears returned, as she got up and hugged Bob, crying on his shoulder as she had often done before, but as most of her tears had been the past few years, they were happy ones.

So maybe now I could end this and say that they all lived happily ever after, but … that still leaves a little unfinished business, not the least of which is the proof I promised you when I started this story. Very well … a promise is a promise. First thing I think I should do is bring you up to present date.

It’s been ten years since Lynx and Cindy took Kitten into their hearts and home and quite a lot has happened to the foursome, the family, and the friends they love.

Cindy’s parents have both retired. Kim’s been on a strict regiment of diet and exercise for years now, and her heart has improved even more than the doctors thought it could. Of course she still starts cooking as soon any one comes over for a visit, but Bill does all her taste testing and lovingly watches over her to be sure his soul mate stays with him to enjoy being grandparents.

Christian and Caroline are still at the estate, but these days it’s anything but quiet as grandchildren hold court on a regular basis. Christian still enjoys his walks, although they are not quite as long as they once were and of course he still has his love affair with the sea and sails whenever he can. The only difference being, grandchildren have replaced Lynx and Tess at first mate. Caroline can still be found making culinary magic from her kitchen and tending both her flowers and her grandchildren when they visit.

Ally and Andy still reside in their home outside Devon. Since having Christine, they’ve been blessed with two more children, Stephen and Elizabeth, and one four-legged greyhound by the name of Dora who insists she’s a lap dog. Ally has little time to do anything else but watch over her brood and keep Andy’s various appetites satisfied, but when she can find the time she writes and takes Dora out for long walks. She almost always comes back with interesting rocks she’s found on her journeys and when the kids call her on it, she laughs and says, “Once a rock hound, always a rock hound.” Andy continues to be a rock hound of his own as several of his sculptures have been very well received and finally, well paid for, making him the second Rock God in the family.

Andy’s sisters Elsa and Sara are both doing well. Sara’s artistic talents have made the Art Angel a wanted woman in artistic circles worldwide. Elsa moved into the flat above the flower shop where Andy once lived, and writes novels when she isn’t busying carrying on her grandfather’s tradition of preparing roses for young lovers.

Rich and Jenna still reside in Vancouver, British Columbia in the same log cabin that Rich carried Jenna into the day they married. Cathleen Elizabeth came three years after Rebecca Anne and the two girls are strawberry blonde versions of their mother and the apples of their daddy’s eye. The family dog, Beagle Bailey, still thinks she’s a pup, despite being nearly ten years old and sleeps with the girls as always. Jenna has become a happy homemaker whose likes have not been seen since the days of 1950’s sitcoms. Rich enjoys being the Lord of his mountain manor and taking care of all three of his ladies.

Shelly finally got out of the public relations business, but she did keep one client, and if you want Lynx and the Kool Kats to play your arena, you still have to deal with the Evil Witch. Shelly did have her own time in the limelight, as she was the winner of the $100,000 Clairol Can’t Color Me Challenge. She won the prize when the hair-coloring giant’s team of technicians couldn’t find a way to recreate chemically those incredible highlights of hers that she came by naturally. She is currently living in New York with her husband Norman, raising an impressive brood utilizing both plan A and B, and very active in the local synagogue.

Janet, Shelly’s little sister and the fashion genius behind the costumes for Lynx and the Kool Kats, can now be seen regularly on the Home Shopping Network. Her show, “Janet the Fashion Sorceress”, offers hi quality, in-fashion ladies attire, at a very low cost.

Dr. Prudence Walker and Dr. Horatio “Huggy” Bear have been working with a crack team of research scientists on refining the process that brought Misty Dawn into the world. Six months ago, they reported making a major breakthrough. Nanites that the medical journal has nicknamed “Hugglebugs”, as they work in pairs that most resemble two ladybugs hugging; have been successfully programmed to induce the bodies of lab animals to safely make most of the physical changes they’d originally hoped for. While there is no timetable as to when this new technology will be available for humans, Prue says she is confident it’s only a matter of time now.

Whenever Prue is on parole from the lab, she can usually be found writing in her sunroom or having a conjugal visit with her hubby in the hot tub. Dr. Bear continues to earn his nickname of Huggy, as he still makes trips to his children’s hospital in Australia, dishing out treats, presents and hugs to all the kids.

Bob still lives in his beach house outside Los Angeles with his wife, since he finally made an honest woman out of the persistent strawberry-blonde a couple of years after Misty came on the scene. Tess still thinks Bob looks like Robert Redford, only now the more seasoned version, and Bob says he’s quit trying to understand why a beautiful young woman would want an old fart like him, and is just glad she does. Bob continues to stay involved with computers by running a huge network of transgender chat rooms that allow other women with birth defects like Cindy, to connect with each other. Tess continues to play the Singing Angel to children all over the world and the very special two that she and Bob adopted a few years ago.

Heather Rose a pretty young woman of 24, Misty and Kitten, now almost 15, aren’t together as much as before the adoptions, but they still get to see a lot of each other. Heather Rose still lives at home, but after she received her teaching credentials last June, she joined the staff at the Happy Hart Home as a teacher and Big Sister to the children still waiting to find a home.

Maggie O’Malley, Cindy’s feisty doubles partner, retired from tennis when her knees gave out, but she’s stills pouncing on serves, only now she’s serving pizza as the owner of Dublin’s best pizzeria: Little Cheetah’s. They promise to pounce on your order, and have it at your home in thirty minutes or it’s free.

Abby Phillips, the reporter for Liberated Women who became infamous for her coverage of the Royal Cow wedding in India, is still in the business working as a reporter for the “Ultimate Truth”, which of course, prints anything but that. As this story is being written she is probably tracking down Elvis sightings at convenience stores or on a stake out to capture Puff the Magic Dragon.

Miss Hart still runs the Happy Hart Home for children in need, and with the help of Heather Rose, and the rest of her hand-picked staff, continues to make dreams come true for many children and the parents waiting to love them.

Finally, we come to Lynx, Cindy, Misty and Kitten. The family continues to split time between their homes in Denmark and California. Lynx still finds time to sail, no matter what continent his boat is docked on. He continues to write and performs music, although these days he gets more enjoyment out of teaching children to find the song within them. He loves to listen to his two young protégés play, even if he isn’t always in total agreement with them on their choice of music. He’s also tapped into his mother’s culinary skills and the Saturday morning breakfasts he prepares have become legendary.

Cindy continues to pound tennis balls shortly after dawn every morning, and probably always will, as long as she has the strength to lift a racket. If there was ever a woman who could win Wimbledon after forty, it would be her, but don’t count on seeing her playing center court. She’s quite content being a wife and mother in “semi-retirement.” Every couple of years Chrissy Collins drops by and gives her a run for her money, carrying out the ‘threat’ she made when Cindy was in the coma.

When one reporter asked Cindy if her life now was all that she had hoped for, she replied, “It certainly is. I have my health, a home and food to eat. I have a handsome prince who gives me a rose every day and serenades me while we walk along the beach at night. I have friends and family who love me for the woman I am and I have two beautiful daughters I love with all my heart. Yeah, it’s all I ever hoped for and then some.”

So what of the two little princesses? Well they’re fourteen now and still as inseparable as the first day they played together. Misty’s soft blue eyes and her platinum blonde locks never darkened. She stands barely five feet tall and weighs a hundred pounds soaking wet, but if you get between her and the sales rack at Nordstrom’s she’ll knock you over like a Chicago Bears linebacker. Her nickname is PIP, which means pretty in pink, and she’s got the wardrobe to back it up. She has her mother’s soft singing voice, her father’s smile, and a stubborn streak worse than her Aunt Tess. She’s got a pretty good tennis game, and will probably play for the high school team unless she becomes a cheerleader. She likes to sail, but loves to sun even more. She can play “dueling banjos” with her father, and once in awhile even beat him. She’s never met a piece of chocolate she didn’t like, and yet no matter how much she eats, she never gains an ounce. She is smart and funny and talented and loving and her “little” sister’s best friend.

Finally, that leaves us Katie, still better known as Kitten. Her red hair has lost a bit of its curl, but none of its unmanageability, and she usually keeps it held hostage in a high ponytail. Those big green eyes still sparkle when she smiles, and despite ten years of scrubbing, those freckles never did fade away. At 5’8, she towers over her “big” sister now. Her favorite comfort food is pizza, and anything her father makes for breakfast, not that she’ll pass up her mom’s cooking, either. Unfortunately, she wasn’t blessed with Misty’s metabolism and groans that she can gain three pounds just looking up the phone number for Pizza Hut. Despite the fact she’s the big sister by size, her half of the room that she shares with Misty shows the little sister is still alive and well.

She still sleeps in the same canopy bed filled with stuffed animals that she’s had since shortly after she arrived. She has no less than a dozen shirts with assorted designs of kittens on them. She still likes to lie on her bed and color on a rainy day, and she still thinks she’s her parents lap kitten. Like Misty, she knows her way around the tennis court, on the sailing ship, and how to pluck a few chords. However, she likes chasing the bouncing basketball better than the tennis ball, as her bulk seems better suited for that game.

She loves sailing more than sunning, as she burns, rather than tans. Her favorite music is folk, and she loves driving her parents and Misty crazy playing “Seeker’s” tunes on the acoustic guitar that her father gave her when she turned 11. She also likes getting a little crazy on the keyboards too, and her Aunt Tess says she’s got real potential. She’s probably smarter than most people think, but because she likes to act goofy, anyone who doesn’t really know her naturally assumes she is goofy. She doesn’t feel particularly gifted in anything, but what she lacks in God-given talent, she makes up for in hard work, hustle and plain stubborness.

She doesn’t figure on ever being a size 5 or the Prom Queen, but that’s okay, because if there’s one thing her parents have taught her, it’s that true beauty comes from within. She’s a big little girl with a good heart, and not one day goes by that she doesn’t consider herself blessed to be part of a family that loves her just as much as they would have if she had been a Plan B baby.

Well, I guess that about does it. That’s everything I’ve got right up to the present. Of course I imagine you still have doubts and questions. You are probably wondering why you should believe this account, as opposed to the many others that have been published prior. I’m sure you are also wondering how could some reporter from the outside get such an inside scoop.

The answer to both questions is that this reporter hasn’t been on the outside since the day her parents took her home from the orphanage. Yep, surprise, it’s me, Katie the Kitten. This story I have shared with you comes a little (very little) from my own memories, but mostly from my mother’s diaries, and from the recollections of my friends and family who are in it. It’s something I’ve been putting together like a scrapbook for the past three years. Everyone has helped and all of them have given his or her permission for me to share it with you. So see, when I say this is the true story, now you know I mean it. The only parts missing are those that my parent’s say they aren’t sharing with me until I’m like, over 30 and even then, maybe never (giggle).

Well now that you know my true identity and that I’m telling you the truth (honest I am), I suppose you have a few questions. I’m sure it’s probably the same ones I often get asked. For instance, “How does it feel being a celebrity?”

Honestly, I’ve never really felt much like a celebrity. I mean my mother’s the greatest women’s tennis player ever. My father is Danish royalty who is destined for the rock and roll hall of fame, and I’ll probably be studying about Misty the Miracle Baby in my 20th century World History class. They’re the celebrities! Me? If I’m a celebrity, it’s guilt by association. (Giggle).

Still, membership has its privileges. My parents have a lot of money which is cool, but it would be even cooler if they’d share a little more of it (giggle). I mean, it’s pretty awesome sitting with English royalty at the Wimbledon matches or sharing the stage for a song with my Dad, (although that’s usually Misty). I’ve met people, been places, and done things that most teenagers can only dream about, but do you want to know what my GREATEST memories are?

One of them is the day that my Mom and Dad took me home from the orphanage. I’ll never forget holding onto my mom so tightly as she walked me away from that big old building. She kept whispering in my ear that she would never go away, because she knew I was so afraid she would. Well, a few times she has went away, but never for very long and now that I’m older, she’s doesn’t even have to assure me anymore. I know she will be back.

I remember when they got me home. I met Misty and they told her I was her sister. I didn’t even know I had a sister, but when she smiled at me, I was suddenly glad I did. You know, I’ll never forget that moment. Misty just stood there with those big blue eyes of hers. Well, the longer she looked, the more she smiled and then finally she ran over, hugged me tightly and dragged me off to play. I guess we’ve been playing together ever since.

I remember when Mom and Dad finally explained to me that they weren’t my birth parents. They were so afraid that I might not love them as much when I found out, and of course once I found out, I was afraid maybe they might get tired of me and take me back to the orphanage. I think we all cried half the night until we figured out we had no reason to.

I’ll always cherish the memory of the first tennis lesson Mom gave me, and the feeling of her hand over mine as she showed me how to swing the racket. I remember her voice singing Misty and me to sleep at night and I still enjoy lying with my head in her lap whenever we watch movies.

I’ll never forget the feeling of Dad’s fingers over mine as he taught me my first chord and how proud I felt when I finally could do it on my own. I’ll always remember sailing with him, and how small I feel on the big ocean and yet so safe because he’s there. I’ll never sneak downstairs to make a refrigerator raid at three in the morning without thinking of all the times I walked into the kitchen and found him there with the same idea.

I’ll never forget the first big dinner Misty and I made for Dad and how he ate every bite without crying or dying. (And I know it tasted so bad!) I’ll never forget what it’s like to look across my room in the middle of the night and know my best friend and sister is there, and should thunder boom, I know she’ll still make room in her bed for me and my big fat bum! (Giggle) I’ll never forget the dolls, the clothes, the games and the time-outs Misty and I have shared.

Those are the memories I hold the dearest. I guess you might think they’re pretty lame for a “celebrity”, but I wouldn’t trade them or the people I’ve shared them with for anything in the world.

Some people ask me if I feel like my parents treat me any differently than they do Misty. You know, because she was a Plan B kid and I was Plan A. Well, you can trust me on this, they say NO to Misty just as often as they say it to me, and if you want confirmation, just ask Misty! And they also tell me they love me, just as often as they tell it to her.

A few people have asked me if I ever get curious about my natural father. Yeah, I suppose I do a little, and I guess somehow, someday if I ever get the chance to meet him, I’d like to, because he is my father. BUT … he’ll never be my dad. See, it’s just like what Mom said to Dad when they were debating Plan A versus Plan B. Any man who can be a sperm donor can be a father and any woman with eggs can be a mother, but it’s the love and care and attention they give to that child AFTER it’s born, that makes them a mommy and a daddy. I may never know my father, but I sure know my daddy. He’s the man who tells me that no matter how old I get, I will always be his little girl and I love that man with all my heart.

One last question? Why did I write this? Well, like I said earlier, it sort of started like a scrapbook full of stories that Misty and I have heard all our lives. A couple of years ago I started writing the stories down and my parents thought it was pretty cool, so they bought me a tape recorder, and whenever we visited family or friends I would do these little interviews. Before long I had boxes and boxes of tapes and notes. About a year ago, I started sorting it all out and putting everything in order. For the last eight months I have been spending almost every free moment after school and on the weekends trying to write it all out.

Fortunately, I’ve had lots of help. Misty’s been there with just the right word every time I’ve gotten stuck, all my aunt’s and uncle’s have offered their services as proofreaders, and Uncle Bob says when I get it all done he’s going to have it printed and put into a hardbound book. I know Mom and Dad would help a lot if I asked them, but I don’t want to, because they don’t know just how far I’ve gotten with all this and I want them to be surprised when I hand it to them on their 20th wedding anniversary.

When I started writing this, I thought the only people who might read it would be the people in it, but after Aunt Ally and Aunt Jenna proofed the first few pages they told me that they thought I should write it as if I was telling the whole world the true story. When I asked them why, they said because it was time the real story was told, and they knew when I finished it mom and dad would be so proud they’d want to share it with the world. Gee, I didn’t know what to say after that. So, I just changed the opening and did my best to live up to their lofty expectations. If you are reading this, then I guess I made something good enough that my parents wanted to share it with you. I hope you’ve enjoyed it.

Before I finally close with my happily ever after, I just thought you’d like to know one thing. It turns out I won’t be able to give this story to my parents on their 20th anniversary as I’d hoped too. Misty and I are spending some quality time with our grandparents in Denmark, while Dad is finally taking Mom on that sailing cruise he promised for her honeymoon. They left here over a week ago, and Dad says they’re going to hug the coast all the way to France, but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he doesn’t go all the way to Portugal, hang a left at the Straits of Gibraltar and keep going until he gets her to Greece. He does love to sail.

So as I end this story, I’m not even exactly sure where my mom and dad are at today but there is one thing I am absolutely sure of. Somehow, someway, sometime today, my dad will take her hand and say that he pledges his love to her each and every day for as long as the love and magic lasts, and then … he will give her a rose.

Mom, Dad, family, friends, and the world, I give you the Rose.

The Rose
(as sung by Bette Midler)

Some say love it is a river
That drowns the tender reed.
Some say love it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed.
Some say love it is a hunger
An endless, aching need
I say love it is a flower
And you its only seed.

It’s the heart afraid of breaking
That never learns to dance.
It’s the dream afraid of waking
That never takes the chance.
It’s the one who won’t be taken
Who cannot seem to give
And the soul afraid of dying
That never learns to live.

And the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long.
And you think that love is only
For the lucky and the strong.
Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snow
Lies the seed that with the sun’s love,
In the spring,
Becomes a

ROSE

Huggles all!

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A rose to you all

If you're reading this then that means you probably managed to brave all 21 chapters! I hope it was worth the time and effort and I really hope it brought a little love and joy into your day. But no matter what you thought of it, thank you so much for thinking it worthy of the read.

There are some incredible authors out there, who deliver some powerful magic, and really reach a lot of people. To think you would take the time to choose my story, just puts me over the moon. (Ooops, already been there, see Tina Michelle Smith's story about the little girl who reached the stars.)

I would also like to thank those people who made it possible for me to write the story. Prue Walker who gave it it's first go over and broke it into chapters for me. Holly Logan and Shelly shalimar for doing all the painstaking editing, Ohy vay! And of course all my real life friends who were not only the inspiration for this fictional tale, but an inspiration to me just to live each day as best I can.

Hugs and love to you all! Maggie the Kitten

It was worth the read...

Maggie! And I enjoyed formatting it for you. Very nice romance and touched me quite a few times!
 

    Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

ooops i forgot someone special!

Yes, thank you very much Sephrena. You did all that lovely computer magic that is beyond my kitten paws and made the Rose stand out tall and pretty. Hugs and love Maggie

I tamed down my praise when writing the synopsis

I first enjoyed this story around 3 years ago, when I felt it just needed a tiny bit of work to make it publishable.
I really put my heart and soul into editing it, but the real work was all Kitten's.
The first time around, it brought tears to my eyes, and now, several reads and 2 edits later, it still does.
I'm not sure if she has it in her to do another story of this length, but I hope she does.
if not, I'm sure there is still more on the way from my personal favorite author.

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Hugs to the Happy Hart

Thanks so much Auntie Holly and you too Momma Shelly

You really did a wonderful job of editing this story. You even added to it when my "moose" was too sleepy to do it herself, and you did it without taking away anything or really changing anything that I didn't want changed.

Only the moose knows whether she has anything more to say or not. Thanks again for everything. Maggie the Kitten

Lovely story

I do have a bit of a nit though about the fact Cindy never plays again yet Lynx gets to do the concert thing periodically. I thought a little symmetry should be the order of the day since Cindy's passion for tennis is as strong as that of music is for Lynx as was pointed out earlier in the story.

This passion could have been her ticket to doing exhibitions for charity. It will also serve ( no pun intended :) ) as a good example for her daughters that a woman can still love being a mother but also pursue her own passions also. What's good for the gander is good for the ... ya, know.

I enjoyed the drama of Cindy's struggle to have her child especially. Romantic to the extreme of course ! Really well done.

Thanks so much !

Kim

Match point Kimmie

Thank you. Yes, I really did drop the ball for women's lib. Being June Cleaver was Jenna's dream, giggle. While Cindy may not really want to take on the time and rigors of the pro circuit, she surely wouldnt have minded a few exhibitions now and then especially for charity. She chose not to work because she had that option, but she definitely would have been active and would have wanted to show the girls that a woman can work and still be a good mom.

Well done, thank you. I missed the boat on that one.

Hugs Maggie

The Rose

I just finished reading this and want to say thank you for the time, love, and thought that you put into this wonderful masterpiece. I felt all of the happiness and sorrow as I read each and every part. I'd recommend this story to anyone that has an open-mind. Even to some that do not. Being able to write something as strong as this, is what makes authors continue to put things to some form of print.

Again thank you for a truely wonderful read.

It is completely SPECTACULAR!

Steven 'dakotaviper' B.

Thank you dakotaviper

Wow! Thank you so much. I'm deeply touched by your praise. I can't tell you how much it means to me that something I created brought you such joy. This story took over a year to write and at times I didn't know if I'd ever finish it. Then it sat for nearly two more years before being ressurected by Holly and Shelly.

I wrote this story as a gift to some very special people and I really wanted it to be something extra special for them. I was afraid I'd missed the mark. Comments like yours tells me that I hit a bulls eye at least with some people.

Thanks again. Hugs Maggie

Thank you

Thanks for posting a great well written story that can be enjoyed by everyone.After 21 chapters I haven't one regret for reading this.Amy

Thanks amy

When I first started writing the Rose, I thought it was going to be a small story that I could knock out in a weekend or two, but then it grew and took on far more than I ever dreamed it would. I'm so glad you found something in it for you. Hugs and love Maggie

The Rose

Thanks Maggie for sharing this with us. It has been a wild ride full of sad and happy tears. What a story!
hugs!
grover

Thanks Grover

You've really given me loads of praise on my stories. Thanks so much. I'm so very happy you've enjoyed the ride. Hugs and love Maggie

Absolute Praise Maggie

Dearest Maggie,

I have just completed reading all 21 chapters of "THE ROSE". I cried,laughed as well shared alot of what it is to be alone and left in a adoption agency til I was adopted by a not so loving family . All appearences asside, my life is grand. I still feel alone and abandoned by a set of parents that should have been there for me. I am so glad that you touched that cord with myself with this wonderful story of hope and faith. This was a absolute joy to read. I parise you for your writing style and character development. I too am developing a book based on my journals upon which i kept growing up. The time and patience is tedius as well as rewarding. Great Job MAGGIE. super,spectacular and so many other wonderful definitions for this wonderful uplifting story.

Thanks for sharing this story with me

Missy (prairie_girl_64

Hugs Missy

Wow, thank you for the wonderful comments. When you cast a story out on the waters you never know who or what it will touch. In you, I can see it touched a wonderful strong person, who had to real life endure experiences, that I could only dream up when I wrote this fiction, and sadly for you, no real life Lynx and Cindy whisked you away to a happily ever after. Still in the face of that, there is joy, love, and hope in your words and obviously within you. I am deeply sorry if my story at times took you back to a darker places and some sad memories.

I hope I will get a chance to read your book. I know it will be from the heart and from your personal experience and will touch all those who read it just as your comment to me has touched me.

Hugs and love Maggie

Thanks Maggie

Thanks for your kind and positive words. Yes was not a bed of roses as they say, however I gained my strength and sel assurance in my life after that very traumatic 9 year period and my subsiquent relationships and "life challenges of survival". I only wish that I had a lovely set of parents as were portrayed in "The Rose'. I love the song and have the Cd upon it is recorded by MS MIDLER.

I often find that fiction often portrays life and certain events that are portrayed here in stories are true to some extent to the reader. This story touched me in a far and greater way than I expected it would. I consider ths a favorite of mine. I am almost finished with the rough draft of my book and in a few more months I hope to have it at a publisher for proof.

I thank you once again for this wonderful and inspirational and heartfelt story. and I will let you know when i get the proff back and when I can see the light at the end of the tunnel to the shelves. it has been a 14 and a half year journey to get through it to this point.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Maggie

Missy

Again, Thank you Maggie

And thanks to Holly, Shelly and Sephrena for your efforts.

Hugs, Fran

Hugs, Fran

It was truly a group effort

thanks to those three lovely ladies, the real life Kiwi queen Prue, and all my family who have continued to encourage me to write.

Hugs and love Maggie

The Rose

Thanks Maggie for sharing the 21 Chapters with us. It has been a wild ride full of sad and happy tears. What a story!
hugs!

Richard

Richard

Thank you

NoraAdrienne's picture

Maggie,
Thank you ever so much for this wonderful story.. You are truly amazing and I am sitting here going thru a box of tissues as I finish reading this epic tale of love.

Nora-Adrienne

The Rose

Dear Maggie
Truly 21 wonderful chapters and I loved every one of them. A wonderful Romance/Love Story. As always you made me feel all the emotions of the wonderful characters. I felt the Joy, the Sadness, the Triumphs and all the little things that make a Love like Cindy's and Lynx's so wonderful. I have a soul mate who brings out the best in me so I can truly say I know how they feel.
Keep up the great writing as you have a wonderful gift to reach peoples soul.
lots of LOVE and ((((((HUGS)))))) to you for the enjoyment you brought into my life with this and all your stories.

((((((hugs))))))
Always
Patti

The Rose

littlerocksilver's picture

Thank you for a very pleasant Christmas present. Enjoyed it immensely

Portia

Portia

A sweet sentimental Tail, Kitten

A long story but worth a read or two.

Oh it maybe could have been condensed but it worked fine as it is. Plus these characters were memorable and I hated to see them go.

Sweet how you worked in the foundation for Prue's Hugglebugs stories and other longtime friends and co-writers.

It figured Cindy and Lynx would go both A and B plan as they had so much love. I was sorry Tess and Bob never had there own biological child, at least as of the *writing* of this story, but children without a good home or parents need love too so adoption was logical.

Charming story

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Feels Good

Thanks Maggie for the nice "feel good" to start a new year. I have to wait for all the chapters to be in before I start a serial. It seems so many stories I read here finish where yours picked up; it's nice to see what "happily ever after" can look like. Keep up the good work.

It was a very nice story

It was a very nice story Kitten.
Even if perhaps a little to sugary for me.
But I understand that predisposition.

I hope you will write more.
And don't give up.

cheers
Yoron.

Wow

Just simply wow.

Nothing like what I've learned to expect from your stories, but so very good indeed:)

You've kept me busy for almost a week reading through this, and I've enjoyed every moment of it. I've laughed and cried and sat on the edge of my chair waiting for what would happen next.

Thank you for once again sharing you're wonderful talent,

Love,
Amber

Thanks Amber

Gee, what a wonderful compliment. Thanks (blush). I'm so glad something I created (with a little help from my friends) brought you joy.

A certain auntie mentioned you to me when she rang last. I just want to say congratulations and how happy I am for you and i hope all things are coming round to what you hoped they would be.

Love yourself so you can love others and be able to accept the love others have for you.

Hugs Maggie the Kitten

Two boxes of Kleenex later...

Maggie that has got to be the most Beautiful, Heart-String jerking, Laughter inducing, Tissue soaking story I have ever read. And I thought your Little Kids Kamp stories where good, This masterpiece has kept me raptures with it's twist n turns for the last week.

I can't wait for the next story to flow from your pen

Huggs

Samantha

Absolutely wonderful....

Maggie what a wonderful story. I came accross this while searching for stories to read. I bumbed into TopShelf by accident and while I was scanning some stories in the serials I found "The Rose". The song by Ms. Midler is one of my favorites.
I have a question though. I was reading and I completed it only a few moments ago, I was wondering what happened to Jon..the other band member of the Kool Kats? The ending never explained what happened to him. He seemed to vanish then reappear near the end , however it was never outlined what happened to him. Did he eventually marry? Have children by both plans "a" and "b"? Where is he now? I was just curious as to this.

I loved this story it made me laugh and cry and well I used a half a box of Kleenex in the last few parts of the story. Thanks very much for a wonderful story.

CJ

What happened to Jon?

I'm sorry I sort of dropped the ball on Jon didn't I? He sort of went by the way of Richie Cunningham's older brother Chuck (Happy Days)

Actually Jon did marry but it took a second time to get it right. The second lady he married had a son from a previous relationship. They had one more of their own and adopted a girl with a little assistance from Tess. Jon stayed active in the music industry doing a bit of ghost writing for a few up and coming groups and he helped produce a few music videos as well. When not lost in his music, he enjoys being a father and a husband.

Hope that clears things up.