Tamara's Debut - Chapter 16 "Retail Therapy"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Sixteen

 

by Shiraz

 

 
 
Friday 5th December Continued
 

John didn’t know what to say after their friend’s revelation; Tammy just took Tim’s hand.

“Tim, I think it’s too late to talk now, why don’t you come down to Sarah’s Boutique tomorrow morning, your mum should know where it is?”

“I’ll do that, thank you.” Tim was openly crying, Tammy took a tissue and had him dry his eyes. She gave him a hug but had to leave as her father was waiting a few feet away, unknowingly stood with Tim’s mother.

On the ride home Tammy didn’t want to say what she knew but her father tried anyway.

“Who was that boy? Was he from your school?”

“Yes.”

“What’s his name?”

“Tim.”

“Is he in the sixth form?”

“Yes.”

“I take it you don’t want to have this conversation.”

“Yes, Dad.”

Richard guessed he would not get any more out of Tammy so the rest of the ride was in silence. Once indoors Tammy went to the kitchen and made herself a coffee, she was becoming a little uncomfortable using staff for seemingly everything. Upstairs in her room she knew she couldn’t go straight to sleep, there was just too much going on in her head.

She booted her laptop and sent a message to John, simply asking him for Tim’s personal email address. She then checked her inbox. Sarah had left a message asking Tammy to be there at nine, there was also one from her mother in Tom’s inbox.


Tom,
 
I phoned the school and spoke to someone in the school office, I think she was a temp. Anyway she said there wasn’t a Tom Smart at the school. What’s going on? You haven’t been answering your phone and I’m getting a little worried. I hope you’re not still with the McPhersons, I’m seriously thinking of coming over to collect you, please respond.
 
Your mother

Tammy looked at the message but decided not to reply until she’d spoken to her father. Tammy's letter to her mother had been posted the day before so wouldn't arrive until after the weekend, plenty of time for her mother to do something silly.

Tammy checked her phone next. There were no missed calls shown so she tried to check the call menu but none of the buttons would work. She removed the battery then switched the phone back on, this time there was apparently no signal. This was something to sort out in the morning. Tammy then closed down the laptop and finished her coffee before changing for bed. She set an alarm for seven and was asleep within a few minutes.
 
 
Saturday 6th December
 
It seemed like the alarm was going off almost as soon as she’d set it. The room was dark apart from the glow of her clock. She switched on the bedside light and dragged herself into the bathroom. Ten minutes later she was fresh and very awake. A coffee was standing on her bedside cabinet, how does that happen? Right now she was thankful to the staff.

She dressed warmly for the day then headed down for breakfast, her father was just coming out of his own room.

“Good morning.”

“Hi, Dad.” They walked into the dining room together where a pot of coffee and glasses of OJ were waiting. “I had an email from mum last night.”

“What did she say?”

Tammy recounted the brief email, showing that she was a little perturbed by it.

“I think we both knew your mother would find out one way or another, although I accept that we’ve just been lucky so far. I spoke to Gerald about this yesterday, he has written to her solicitor with a copy of the statutory declaration and the medical letters as we agreed.”

"Should we have waited until Mum challenged us?”

“If we did that, we would still end up having to send the paperwork. This way, if they challenge your state of mind, they already have the psychiatric reports. As it is, it would require a court order for her to insist you should see another shrink, and the chances of that are as likely as the Dodo returning.”

“I suppose so.” They both reached for the toast and concentrated on the morning's meal.

“I’ve booked some Saturday morning driving lessons for you, starting in a few weeks if the weather's okay.”

“Thanks, I’d like to be able to take myself down to town, previously I would have used the school minibus today.”

“We’ll sort out something for you.”

Elsie was walking into the room. “Not a problem, I need to go into town to get my hair done. I’ll take you down there.”

Tammy arrived at the shop as Sarah was turning the sign around, a bit of sign language sent Tammy towards the bakery. She realised however that she was short of cash so turned the other way to use an ATM. As she approached it she saw John McPherson coming towards her, he was twenty yards away,

His head was down but he looked up just in time to see Tammy turning on her heels and walking briskly away.

“Come here you pervert!” He broke into a run, continuing to call after Tammy, his language becoming fouler by the second.

Tammy now started to run herself, but this wasn’t easy in a long skirt and heels on icy cobbles. John was easily gaining on her.

She turned a corner and ran straight into Tim Small and his mother. As Tammy stopped to avoid crashing into them, John McPherson managed to catch up and swung his open palm at Tammy’s face. She tried to duck, turning sharply, but came crashing to the ground as a heel gave way.

John managed one kick at Tammy as she lay there before Tim put John on the ground, knocking his legs from under him. Joan helped Tammy up as John tried to grab Tim’s leg, being the nearest at that time. Tim easily stepped out of the way and headed away from the pathetic man on the floor, still swearing at the three of them as they quickly walked to Sarah’s shop, Tammy hobbling.

Joan pushed the door open so the three could enter. Tammy reached for the lock as soon as the door was closed.

“Tammy, what’s going on?”

Tammy was too upset to say anything, she was now on the floor trying to get her shoes off but struggling, her anger was evident; Tim crouched down to helped Tammy.

Outside John had now reached the doorway and was rattling the glass door. Failing to open it he started banging the glass with his fist. Behind him other people, some of whom were Sarah’s customers, had gathered. A few were shouting at John to stop. Sarah, meanwhile, was on the phone to the police.

Tim helped Tammy to her feet and guided her towards a chair at the back of the shop. Joan meanwhile, unaware what Sarah was doing, had pulled out her mobile phone and was in the process of telling the police about an assault on her son and his friend.

John stopped banging on the glass long enough to hear a siren in the distance. He looked at the crowd behind him and started to walk away.

“No you don’t!”

That solicited a profanity by John.

“Stop right there.” John kept walking, ignoring the man in jeans and heavy winter coat who was following him, using a mobile phone to call his office.

The siren was much closer now and suddenly ceased. John started walking faster, but didn’t run. He stopped as he reached down to hold his leg, apparently in pain, and didn’t see the two uniformed officers coming towards him until the last second. He spun around to go back up the road, straight into the arms of the off-duty PC Stuart St James. John McPherson was arrested for assault, cuffed and read the caution in the space of a few seconds. He was still shouting expletives, continuing his tirade against ‘that pervert’ as they walked him to the car, so he was also arrested for a public order offence.

Stuart St James spoke to one of the uniformed officers then walked back to Sarah’s shop. He tapped on the glass, holding up his warrant card. Sarah walked over and unlocked the door to let him in, latching it behind him.

“Mrs Bonney, I’m not on duty but I’d like you to know that John McPherson is under arrest.” There was an audible sigh of relief.

“You will be receiving a visit from an officer who will want to take your statements. Miss Smart, I understand you were the subject of an assault?” Tammy nodded, Tim was holding Tammy’s hand and seemingly oblivious to PC St James’ words. “I’ll be on my way, I’ve been told I also need to give a statement, given the circumstances.”

He left the shop, Sarah again locked the door and made certain the Closed sign was showing. Tammy was feeling a bit less wound up so decided that everybody could do with tea or coffee; it would help distract her. She went through to the back of the shop whilst Joan spoke to Sarah and sorted out the introductions.

“Sarah, you’ve not met him before but this is Tim, he’s at school with Tammy.”

“Hello Tim.” Tim looked slightly uncomfortable, Sarah picked up on this. “Tim, why don’t you give Tammy a hand.”

Tim went to the rear of the shop, Joan continued.

“Tim is very proud of Tammy, about what she’s done, and it’s inspired him to come out as well.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t have guessed,” Sarah was genuinely surprised.

“Neither did I, not before Wednesday. Tim wanted to see Tammy this morning after he told her last night. I don’t know anything about all this so I’m frightened for Tim, even more so after what happened this morning.”

“Tammy’s a survivor, she’ll recover very quickly from this, especially as the lousy toad is under arrest. I have no doubt she’ll help Tim. Does he have a female name yet?”

“No, I haven’t asked. How long have you known about Tammy?”

“Ages, if you recall she has been working here each Saturday, as Tammy, for several months.”

Tim fetched the milk from Sarah’s little fridge while Tammy poured boiling water on the teabags. Tim wanted to talk to Tammy about himself but, after his revelation the previous evening, didn’t know what to say next. Tammy took the cups for Joan and Sarah into the shop but left hers and Tim’s cups in the back.

“Tim, how certain are you about yourself?”

“Very, I’ve felt for years that there was a girl inside me but I’ve had to keep her hidden. I couldn’t tell anyone, especially my father, but yesterday I felt I just had to tell mum, it just got too much after what my father said about you, it was as if he hated me even though he didn’t know.”

“Have you told anyone else?”

“No, only you and John Hibbert know, plus Sarah by now I presume.”

“Unfortunately, once a few people know the number grows and grows. I know that from my own experience.”

“I wished it wouldn’t, I mean I don’t want to look like a boy in a frock and have them laugh at me.”

“Tim, it took me months before I would even think about stepping outside this storeroom as Tammy, just don’t rush into anything around Thurso but out of town would be easier.”

“But you make it look so natural, how can anyone—I mean, why was John McPherson after you?”

“He found out about me before I was willing to say anything to him, he wanted to date me until he realised I wasn’t a real girl. I had to get an injunction to stop my name going out in the newspaper and over the radio or on the telly.”

“I hadn’t realised. So what’s his problem now?”

“As you know, he was in charge of the school kitchens and found responsible for the food poisoning. He has been sacked from the school because of that. The local authority then took him to court because of the school kitchens. Somehow he sees me as responsible for his demise.”

“I suppose he’ll get the front page news now?”

“I reckon so. Hold on a minute.”

Tammy pulled out her mobile and tried to call her father, but there was still no signal. Tim offered his phone.

“Dad, it's me. It's an emergency, I broke a heel, can you bring down the long boots? Thanks. Bye.”

“Thanks for that, Tim, I won’t be able to go anywhere without something on my feet. Did you see where the heel went?”

“I picked it up.” He replied, putting his hand in his pocket.

“Thanks, now I can’t keep calling you Tim, can I?”

“No, it’s Angela, but not when others are around, okay? Mum doesn’t know yet, either.”

“I understand. Can you do me a favour, Angela, take these round to the heel bar in the High Street please? I was on my way to the bank when I saw John so I don’t have any money yet, but I don’t think you’ll need any in advance. I also need a new phone, but that can wait for now.”

“For you, anything.” Angela took the shoe and was going to leave through the shop door but Tammy unlocked the rear door and let her out that way. Tammy walked back into the shop as a man came to the shop door. Sarah indicated that she was closed but the man held up a Police warrant card. Sarah let him in, locking the door again.

They all moved to the rear of the shop, out of sight of the windows, Tammy organised chairs and switched the kettle back on. The officer announced himself as Detective Constable Franklin.

“Any relation to Sandy Franklin?” Tammy asked.

“Yes, she’s my wife.”

“I know her from the theatre. I’m playing Anita in West Side Story.”

“In that case, you must be Tammy.”

“Guilty as charged,” which generated a little laughter.

“Now, can I confirm everyone’s name and address. I believe there was a young lad involved?”

“My son, Tim, he was back here with Tammy.”

“Sorry, he went to the heel bar for me, he’ll be back shortly.”

DC Franklin took the personal details then asked for a description of what had happened, starting from the moment Tammy went to the ATM until John McPherson walked away from the shop. Each of them had something to say, including Tim, who had returned in the midst of everything.

It took an hour before each of them had told their story and signed the statements. Richard arrived halfway through the proceedings with Tammy’s boots and was not happy when he found out what was going on.

“Why didn’t you tell me, young lady?”

“One it wasn’t my phone I was using, two you weren’t here and couldn’t have done anything and three you’d only have worried and started calling our solicitor.”

“Even so, you should have told me.”

“Mr Smart, do you mind if I let Mrs Small finish her statement before there are any more discussions?” The DC was quite insistent. Richard was plainly chastised.

“Not at all, please carry on.”

The Detective Constable left ten minutes later with four signed statements, Richard had eventually calmed down after a mug of tea had been placed in his hands. Indeed the rest of them had decided to have another cup each, after Richard was sent to the bakery to get some cakes. Tammy still hadn’t been to the bank.

Sarah decided at eleven that there was no point in opening up before lunchtime, they all needed a little time to calm down. Tammy suggested they met in Frances’ hotel bar at midday, Sarah declined but Joan and Angela said they’d be there after Tammy gave directions.

Although her protagonist was in a cell Tammy was a little unsure. She held her father’s arm as they walked to the bank so she could withdraw some money. Instead of using the ATM outside the branch they walked into the lobby, but the inside ATM now bore an 'Out of Order' sign. She walked up to the sole cashier and handed over her card, asking for £100. A badge declared that he was 'Robert'.

“You should use the cash-point.”

“I don’t want to, not today.”

“I can’t do cash withdrawals under £200 over the counter.”

“Please don’t argue with me, can you not give me my £100? I don’t want to carry £200 around with me.”

“I’m afraid not, it's a new bank policy.”

Tammy was getting a little angry but her father was not paying attention as he was checking the posters on the walls, to see if they were out of date.

“Who is the duty manager?”

“Why?”

“Because I want to complain.” She spoke the last word louder than the rest.

“Tammy, what’s up?” Her father finally hear Tammy's raised voice.

“He is refusing to give me £100. Please let me handle this dad, I don’t want special treatment today.”

“Okay.” Her father took a step backwards.

“Now, Robert, I have had a traumatic day so far and all I want is a measly £100. I do not want to use the cash-point and unless you are going to change your mind, I will have to complain.”

There was movement from behind the counter and Mr Doherty the branch manager appeared, Robert quickly explained the problem.

“I’m afraid my assistant is quite correct. I must insist you use the cash-point.” He went to hand the card to Tammy then noticed Richard loitering. Mr Doherty stopped and looked at the name on the card, he spoke to Robert and withdrew.

“My manager has authorised this transaction Miss Smart. I’ll just process it.”

“You could have done this all along. You could even have asked me why I didn’t want to use the ATM, as I would have told you I had been chased from it then assaulted this morning.” She signed the slip.

“I didn’t know.”

“No, because you didn’t ask, you just imposed the bank policy blindly.” Tammy accepted her card and cash, putting them into her purse. “For the record, seeing as you decided not to tell me, I happen to know that the manager’s name is Doherty.”

Tammy turned and walked out, her father joined her on the street.

“You could have shown him your staff ID.”

“Yes Dad, I could have, but then he would still have imposed that inconsiderate rule on everyone who wasn’t one of the staff. This way he might learn a little about flexibility.”

“I see.”

“Yes, I’ve decided I can’t cure every problem, or live my life, by pulling rank.”

They walked to the nearby mobile phone store. In contrast to the lousy time she'd spent in the bank, Tammy spent ten relaxed minutes there having her phone replaced. Most of that time was choosing the make and model. The battery held some charge, as soon as she switched it on the phone beeped several times with voicemail messages, which she ignored for now.

They next headed round to the heel bar to collect Tammy’s shoe then onto the hotel, they met Joan and Angela outside.

“Good afternoon ladies, Sirs. What can I get you?” Tammy had the feeling that a few glasses of wine would relax everyone but there were two drivers in the small group and two others who had to be at the theatre in a few hours. She ordered Highland water whilst the menus were handed out.

Very little was said before their lunch orders were taken, each had chosen sandwiches, Joan tried to start but couldn’t find the words

“Tammy, how, er, how did?”

“How did I know?”

“Yes.”

“That’s difficult to say, I didn’t have a sister to compare myself with but I’ve suppose I’ve always felt this way.” She looked at her father before continuing, “it just seemed natural that I knew I was a girl inside. I tried not show it, but apparently I didn’t act like a typical boy.”

Angela nodded and picked up the thread; “I wanted to be like my sister, she’s two years older than me. I thought I was jealous of her clothes but it was more than that, she was my role model. I had to pretend to be the boy that dad expected to see. I was mad when he got the job at the school, but then I’d never have met you.”

Joan opened her mouth and shut it again—her son had never said anything like this before.

“Angela, you just need to be yourself, don’t copy anyone.”

It took Joan a few seconds to work out what Tammy meant. “Angela?”

Angela nodded. Tammy continued, “Mrs Small, if there’s anything I can do to support your daughter, please let me help her.”

Frances had hovered until Tammy finished speaking, then began to put plates in front of the small group. “Ladies, Sir, there we are. Is there anything else you need?”

There was a silence hanging in the air as Frances walked away.

“Did I just hear that?” Joan looked uncertain.

“Yes.” Richard responded.

“I’m done for.” Angela groaned, putting her head in her hands.

“No you’re not, Frances is sweet and wouldn’t say anything. He’s just accepted you without a problem, did you see him laugh or anything?”

“No.” Angela was sniffling. Joan reached in her bag and handed her brand new daughter a tissue. “Thanks, Mum.”

“Angela, you will draw more attention to yourself if you react like that to everyone.”

They ate quietly, an elderly couple were sat at an adjacent table, sharing a pot of tea, so discussion was muted.

Tammy looked at her father who seemed to realise what Tammy was thinking.

“Joan, Tammy and I are going to spend a few days in London. How about Angela joining us?”

“But, Mum, I’ve got school.”

“I think you could be excused on the grounds of emotional distress.” Tammy suggested.

“If that’s okay, Mum?”

“I think the Head would understand.” Joan was starting to think this might be a good idea.

“Good, when are you leaving?” asked Angela.

Richard seemed to have it all organised. “The flight’s at three thirty-five from Wick, we’ll leave the house at two. Don’t forget your passport. Perhaps you both can come across for lunch at midday?”

Tammy stood up to go to the loo, Angela followed but stopped as Tammy reached the door to the Ladies. Tammy beckoned Angela but she shook her head and went into the Gents. A few minutes later they met up outside.

“Tammy, I couldn’t. You might see me as a girl but everyone else sees a boy.”

“I see we need to do some work.”

They returned to Joan and Richard who were deep in conversation. Fortunately the old couple had left so they didn’t need to whisper.

“Tammy, what time are you due at the theatre?”

“At three, Dad. If you want to leave the two of us in town we can walk round to the theatre.”

“That’s fine by me,” Joan was in agreement.

Richard paid for the lunch and the four walked out of the door into the cold air. Richard and Joan headed for their cars, Tammy and Angela for Sarah’s shop.

The shop was busy, plenty of people asking about the morning’s events. Of course, as soon as Tammy and Angela arrived they became the centre of attention. Tammy and Sarah both introduced Angela as Tim — it was simpler given the circumstances. They repeated the story for a few minutes but escaped to the storeroom when Angela was obviously uncomfortable with all the attention.

“Right, Angela, I want you to get your coat and jumper off, then loosen your trousers and drop them.”

“Why?”

“I want to get your measurements.”

“What for?”

“So we know what size clothes to get you.”

Angela shook her head but did as Tammy asked. Tammy proceeded to run the tape measure all over Angela.

“Hmm, size twelve, a B cup will suffice. Get your clothes back on.”

“Tammy, why did your dad ask about my passport?”

“It’s the new regulations, haven’t you flown before?”

“No, we always drove. Dad said it was cheaper.”

They headed out into Thurso. It was gone half past one and very overcast, there wasn’t any snow but it was currently below freezing. Tammy dragged Angela into a clothes shop and headed for the women’s section.

“Tammy, I can’t do this!” Tammy was holding a skirt up against Angela, checking the length.

“Look, if anyone asks it’s for your sister who’s the same height as you.”

“Would that work?”

“Possibly. Now, stand still.”

Tammy went round the store and picked up enough outfits for three days plus six sets of underwear and hosiery. She added a couple of nighties to the pile and headed to the cash desk.

“Tammy, I can’t afford this.”

“I know.”

Tammy paid for the pile of clothing and left Angela standing by the till, holding the bags, while Tammy went to find a long coat, scarf and gloves that just screamed ‘girl’. She paid for these and pushed Angela back into the street.

They dropped the bags with Sarah then went to a shoe store. This was when Angela did walk out and got upset with Tammy outside.

“Why are you doing this?”

“Because I want to help you. If you want to be a girl then you have to learn what it means to be a girl, lesson one is shopping.”

“But they’ll look at me if I try those shoes on.”

“No they won’t, not unless you make a spectacle of yourself. Now, lets get you a pair of boots.”

Angela went back into the shop, Tammy led her to the boots display. First she measured Angela’s foot size, then removed his thick socks.

“What did you do that for?”

“Let me put these on, otherwise we’ll get the wrong size. Tammy reached in one of the bags and pulled out a new pair of knee highs, rolling them up Angela’s leg as far as she could.

Tammy then measured again. “Hmmm, size seven.”

She pulled several pairs of boots off the racks and tried them, getting Angela to stand. She deliberately kept the heel low, no need to frighten her.

“Sit down, we’ll take these pairs.” Angela went to put her socks back on.

“Stop right there. I’ll be back in a minute.”

Angela felt very self-conscious without Tammy fussing over her and was relieved when she returned a minute later. She was less pleased when she saw what it was.

“I can’t wear those!” She whispered.

“Yes you can, now try these on.”

“Can I help you at all?” An assistant wandered over.

“No thanks, we’re doing fine although my boyfriend isn’t looking forward to the fancy dress party.”

Angela was blushing bright red.

“I understand. What about the boots?”

“Oh, I’m taking this pair and that pair.”

“I’ll put the rest away, by the way those sandals suit you, sir.”

Angela again did her very best not to cry at that point. Tammy slipped the black sandals off Angela’s feet and only then gestured that she should put her socks and shoes back on, but slapped her hand when she began to take off the knee high stockings.

"Get used to them."

Tammy left Angela to sort herself out as she went to the cash-desk to pay for the three pairs. There was a quizzical look by the assistant when she noticed the boots and the sandals were all size seven but all she got from Tammy was a smile.

Outside, and a suitable distance away, Angela was very upset.

“I could have been thrown out of there, I mean how embarrassing was that. She knew, she knew!”

“Calm down, if she did know then she wouldn’t say anything, a sale is a sale and she’s probably on commission. Look, if you put on that kind of display when you’re in a skirt then you will definitely be the centre of attention. Let’s get these back to Sarah's shop.”

“Good, then we can sit down.”

“Not likely, do you have a flight case?”

“No.”

“Right, we’ll get one plus some toiletries, your skin needs a deep clean.”

Angela shrugged and followed Tammy into Boots. They left twenty minutes later a selection of cleansers, wipes, make-up and some panty-liners. Angela shook her head when those appeared in the basket.

Next they went to the department store and into the luggage section. Tammy chose a purple case and a shoulder bag for Angela before they made their way back to the shop. By now if was almost half-past two. She put the kettle on for coffee then phoned a taxi firm.

They finished their coffee as their transport arrived. The driver loaded the shopping into the back as the girls got in.

“Where to, love?”

“Can you drop us at the theatre then take the shopping to the McPherson’s house?” She handed him a piece of paper with the address, accompanied by a tenner.

Five minutes later they were inside the theatre. Angela stopped Tammy, “please remember that when I'm here I’m Tim.”

“Yes, Angela,” she giggled.

Tammy quickly changed into her costume in the girls' dressing room before heading onto the stage. John Hibbert was waiting there for her.

“How’s Tim?”

“Angela’s fine.”

“Angela?”

“Yes. Her name’s Angela — but not yet in school. By the way she won’t be in school before Thursday next week. The official reason is emotional distress because of her family problems.”

“I think I understand, where will Tim—err—Angela be?”

“With me and my dad in London.”

The rehearsal went well, Iain tried to persuade Tammy to stay in Thurso the following week but she insisted she had to go. He was less impressed with Tim’s announcement.

“You as well? Is Tammy your girlfriend?”

"Not at all but she is a good friend. Unfortunately my father has left my mum so it's not a good time right now. Tammy's father offered to give me a break in London for a few days while my mum sorts some things out."

“You’ll be back on Wednesday?”

“Yes, definitely.”

Tammy arrived home exhausted after the rehearsal, she stayed awake enough for dinner but retired to her room by half-past seven. Angela’s shopping was stacked in a corner.

up
453 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

!!!!

That Tammy's being a bit brutal with the very newly outed Tim, but there again a friend willing to help your own transformaton must be wonderful

Poor Angela

joannebarbarella's picture

Tammy is certainly giving her an accelerated introduction to femininity. While it's meant with the best intentions I hope she can withstand the onslaught.

It moved fast for Tammy,

I have a feeling Tim will get a breather soon.

Walking in her shoes

Jamie Lee's picture

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work John goes. Digging himself even deeper into a hole he'll have trouble getting out. If ever. His hatred of thinking he was set up by Tammy has caused him to attack her when there are witnesses who saw it all. He's now angry, on top of the hatred, that he didn't beat Tammy into pulp and was arrested by the police. He's building up to quite an eruption with the right trigger.

Tammy can tell Angela been there, done that, as they shopped for the necessities for Angela. Tammy reacted the same when Sarah drug her around to buy necessities. And when getting measured the first time.

Both Tammy and Angela need the time out by going to London. It might be more exciting for Tammy, needing to deal with legal matters, but it gets her out of Thurso.

Others have feelings too.