Tamara's Debut - Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Fifteen

 

by Shiraz

 

 
Wednesday 3rd December
 
As the dawn light shone through the windows in Tammy’s room, Andrea stirred. She stretched as her eyes opened, then slid out of the bed and quietly padded her way to her room. She used her own bathroom then pulled on a gown before walking back to Tammy’s room. Tammy herself was just opening her eyes and was mildly surprised to see Andrea standing in front of her.

“Good morning, Tammy. Did you sleep well?”

“Yes, but what are you doing in here?”

“You asked me to sleep with you because you were upset. I’ve only just got up.”

“I thought someone had been here, but when I felt, no-one was there.”

“That’s because I needed the loo, talking of which, get your pretty rear end in there then put a gown on, we’ll be late for breakfast otherwise.”

The two girls met Richard and Michael in the dining room and started on their cereal. Elsie came in a few minutes later — she’d been in the study on the phone.

“Sorry, everyone, I might not be in a good mood for the rest of the day; it’s nothing you’ve done. Please excuse me if I’m a bit off.”

Elsie sat down after that short speech and started on her breakfast; she hadn’t been in the dining room for five minutes when her mobile rang. She threw her napkin on the table and stormed into the study, slamming the heavy wooden door behind her.

Those remaining in the dining room decided to ignore what was happening and concentrate on the coffee and toast in front of them. They’d finished when Thomas came into the room.

“Mr Smart, sir, there is a delivery for you outside.”

Richard smiled and gestured that Tammy should follow him. On the gravel facing the front door was a Landrover Freelander 2; Tammy just stood and stared as Richard signed for the car and sent the delivery team away. He clicked the key remote and got in, Tammy slid into the front passenger seat; she wasn’t ready for the next surprise.

“As soon as your provisional driving licence arrives you can have a go."

She reached over and gave him a kiss. Richard stuttered over what he wanted to say next.

“How about we have a drive around, but only after you’ve put some clothes on!”

Tammy looked down at her gown, only to see that it had risen above her knees and was exposing just a little too much for decency. She hopped out of the car and, holding her gown tight, running straight upstairs to her room. Andrea had just emerged from her own room, dressed for the day, when Tammy flew past. She followed Tammy into her room.

“Don’t I get any privacy?”

“Not now you’ve slept with me!”

The two collapsed in laughter, Andrea then told Tammy what she probably didn’t want to hear.

“I’ve have to go back to London, I only had a couple of days off and I’m working again tomorrow morning. Your dad’s dropping me at the station in an hour, so get a move on.”

“I wish you didn’t have to.”

“Sorry, but I can’t take any more time off right now, but I wish I could. Your dad said something about you being in London soon, so maybe we can meet then?”

“Dad’s not said anything to me.”

“Get yourself washed and dressed, then we’ll sort out all of the world’s problems.”

Tammy walked down the stairs thirty minutes later to find her father tapping his foot, Andrea was next to him with a dour face.

“Hey, I wasn’t that long!”

Richard and Andrea both smiled. “Gotcha.”

They headed out to the new car, Richard drove carefully straight into town, stopping outside the station. He stepped out so he could retrieve Andrea’s case from the rear, while Andrea herself descended on to the kerb. Tammy hurriedly undid her seat-belt and went to Andrea, giving her a big hug.

“I wish you didn’t have to go.”

“Tammy, we’ve been through this before.”

“Yes, even so?”

“Look, I’ll see you in a week or so, right?”

Tammy and Andrea hugged briefly before Andrea walked to the ticket office, dragging her case, waving as she turned a corner. Tammy and Richard both returned to the car, Richard pulled away from the station and headed for the A9.

“Where are we going?”

“Wick.”

“Dad, what did Andrea mean?”

“We’re going to London next week for a few days.”

“Why?”

“We have to see our solicitor and I think you could do with a change of scenery. You might also want to pick up a few bits from home.”

“I don’t think of it as home, I haven’t thought of it as home for years.”

“Somehow I got that impression when you were last there, I suppose we’ll end up selling it when the divorce is through. It’s too big for the two of us anyway—it was too big for the three of us.”

They drove in silence along the A9, turning on to the A882 at Halkirk; on entering Wick they passed the hospital where Tammy had her recent CT scan. After crossing the bridge they parked by the river, then walked the short distance to the High Street. First stop was a coffee shop, although the real reason was a need for the toilet.

Over a latte, Tammy raised the new problems at school.

“Dad, I know I had to stop the rumours, but have I just started new ones? I mean, should I have kept quiet?”

“You can’t keep yourself hidden away, not if you want to go back to school, I don’t think you had a real choice, it's really a question of when, not if.”

“I know, but what about Mr Small?”

“Leave that to Elsie and the Headmaster.”

Suitably refreshed, they headed into town. Richard didn’t need much for himself, but grabbed a few bits of clothing. He’d arrived in Thurso ten days earlier with only a suitcase, so many of his clothes remained in Geneva—although Tanya, his PA, was arranging for their repatriation. This was another reason for the London visit.

Tammy, however, almost seemed to never wear the same clothes twice. Today’s trip was intended to divert her from the ongoing troubles in Thurso, but put a girl in a different clothes shop and she’ll try half of the stock on. Of course new shoes, accessories and (of course) undies were also needed.

While Richard was elsewhere Tammy walked into a lingerie shop and spoke with the sales assistant. A few minutes later she owned a more realistic pair of breast forms, but maintained her ‘B’ cup. She also picked up her first bikini.

Once reunited they both realised that a visit to the house in Edgware, North London, would put them within reach of the Brent Cross Shopping Centre as well as other retail parks. That was reason enough for Tammy to accompany her father for the trip south.

“Dad, I’m supposed to be helping Sarah at the shop this afternoon.” There was near panic in her voice.

“When was that arranged?”

“On Sunday, at the rehearsal. We really ought to get back.”

Richard helped carry some of the bags that Tammy had gathered in the past hour, she certainly wasn’t a slow shopper. They stopped for petrol before heading north-west across the Highlands towards Thurso. Richard dropped Tammy at the shop before heading back to the house. Tammy arrived there just as Sarah was about to call her.

“Where have you been? Everyone has said you’d be here, except I didn’t know.”

“Sorry, I thought you’d been told. I’ve been into Wick this morning, I needed a break, there’s been some more hassle at school.”

“So I heard, have you had any lunch?”

“Not yet.”

“Right, can you get us both a sandwich or something? A pastry would be good as well.”

Tammy headed round the corner to the bakery. She thought she recognised a girl in there.

“Tanya?”

“No, I’m Debbie, her sister. You must be Tammy.”

“Yes, how do you know?” Tammy was getting a little concerned, wondering if this conversation was a good idea.

“Our mum is Sandy, your hairdresser, she said I might see you.”

“Oh.” Tammy really was worried now, what if Joanne had said anything?

“Don’t worry, she’s really pleased how she got you out of that tomboy look. Now, did you come in here for anything?”

Tammy left the bakery a few minutes later with her purchases, Sarah noticed Tammy was flushed when she arrived back at the shop. Fortunately the shop was empty.

“Come on, out with it.”

“Out with what?”

“Don’t try it girl, who’s upset you now?”

Tammy recounted the short conversation, Sarah started to smile widely.

“Don't be silly, it's nothing to worry about but I meant to tell you Sandy wants to use you for some publicity shots, also the newspaper photographer will be there Friday for cast photos so you have an appointment with Sandy on Friday at two. I thought you knew Tanya was Sandy’s daughter?”

Tammy shook her head. Sarah thought it best not to tease Tammy any further so went to make them both a coffee. She was at the kettle when the bell sounded as the shop door was opened. Tammy walked from behind the counter to help the new customer.

“Hello Tammy, I was hoping to see you.”

“Oh, hi Jill. I thought you were a customer today, not a shrink.”

“A bit of both; any chance of a coffee?”

There was a muffled ‘yes’ from the storeroom. Jill spoke a little quieter so as not to be overheard.

“Tammy, I hear you had a bad day yesterday. Do you want to see me to discuss it?”

“I don’t think so, the problem is being dealt with.”

“So I understand.”

Tammy wondered where Jill’s information was coming from but decided to let the matter drop as Sarah was putting three coffees on the counter.

“Tammy, Sarah, I hear the ticket sales are going well. We’d planned three performances but we have now added a matinée on the Saturday and perhaps on the Sunday as well.”

“Five? I’m not sure.”

“Tammy, don’t worry, I know you can do it. Now, is there any chance of seeing you in your dress?”

Tammy looked at Sarah who gestured towards the storeroom. Hanging on a rail was a simple dress with a nipped waist, typical of the 1950’s. Tammy walked back in to the shop holding the frock.

“I hope you don’t want me to wear this today, I wasn’t prepared for it and don't have the right underwear.” The two women realised that Tammy was quite serious but any further discussion was interrupted by some of the show's cast arriving for measuring. They’d all given their sizes when they’d joined the production but now was the time to check for any slight changes, or fibs, in their measurements.

Sarah took charge of the tape measure whilst Tammy recorded the numbers on a sheet. She saw that hers and Tanya’s names were at the top of the page, and that her own measurements were typed, not handwritten.

Over the next few hours they saw almost all of the female cast, the rest would be seen that evening. Sarah locked the shop at five and offered to drive Tammy back home.

Back at the house Tammy found some mail in her room, one of which was post-marked Switzerland. Not wishing to be upset, Tammy put that aside for later. The other letters included a statement on her investments and confirmation of her appointment with Professor Roberts. Whilst there she checked her emails, the only personal mail was, once again, from John Hibbert.

Tammy,
 
I know I’ll see you tonight but in case we don’t get a chance to talk, I need to tell you about something strange that happened today, just before lunch. Firstly, Mr Small was taken out of my class by one of the Deputy Heads, Mr Thompson, whilst we were sent to the sixth-form common room.
 
Mr Thompson returned and said Mr Small would be taking a break from school, 'gardening leave' he called it, and that he would cover Mr Small’s A level and Highers classes. He then asked Tim Small to go down to the Head’s office. Me and another prefect decided to follow a few minutes later and walked into a blazing row between Tim and his father. Tim kept saying that he would stay at the school, whilst his father was insisting that he left as well.
 
The Head and several of the Governors came out of the conference room, the Head told Tim he had just earned detention, so had to go into the conference room to await further instruction. Mr Small was told to leave the premises, it didn’t look like he was taking leave after all. (I was told later that Gardening Leave is code for suspension.)
 
We were sent into the conference room as well, then Mr Thompson came in to speak to Tim, who was initially very upset, but cheered up soon afterwards. I haven’t had a chance to speak to Tim privately yet, so I’ll let you know later if there’s any more news.
 
Regards
 
John

Just then Tammy’s internal ’phone rang, calling her to dinner. She waited until after the meal before speaking about the day’s events.

“Elsie, I hear Mr Small has been suspended, is it because of me?”

“Partly, but there were other complaints which some of the boys had been frightened to make previously; it appears he has an attitude problem but I can’t go into that just now.”

“What about Tim Small?”

“I don’t know, that’s a matter for the Head.”

Tammy knew she’d not get any more information from Elsie and let it drop.

Michael was her driver for the night again, dropping Tammy at the theatre at six forty-five. Sarah was also there, and passed Tammy a measuring tape. Within ten minutes they had finished the task. The rehearsals then started in earnest, with a complete run through, pausing for two minutes where the set would be changed.

John walked quickly over to speak to Tammy.

“Did you get my email?”

Tammy nodded.

“I still don’t completely know what’s going on, Tim was in class this afternoon but left without speaking to anyone.”

“I tried to find out from Elsie McPherson what was going on,” Tammy said, “but she won’t say.”

“If I hear anything I’ll send you an email.”

“Okay.”

They were called to order and the rehearsal continued. Everyone had now learnt their lines, and very few cues were needed. The songs were also word perfect, just not note perfect. A few more of the supporting cast were asked to sing much quieter—if at all.

As they finished, Iain had a few words with them.

“Well done, everyone, for tonight’s effort, but I think you realise we have a little way to go with only eight days until the first performance. We’re going to have to pick up the pace slightly, so I want everyone back here tomorrow night, then Friday, Sunday afternoon, and Monday through Thursday evenings. That’s every day bar Saturday for the ones who weren’t paying attention.” He glanced at Tanya and John who were more interested in each other than what Iain was saying.

“Tomorrow most of you will be able to try your costumes and we’ll start full dress rehearsals on Friday. The newspaper photographer will be here Friday for the publicity shots for next Wednesday’s paper. They’ll also want to ask a few questions, we’ll get that out of the way before we start. Friday will be extended to 10pm to accommodate this.”

Tammy was beginning to feel a little unsure at this point but Iain dismissed them before she could dwell on it. She had meant to tell Iain about next week but clean forgot.

Michael was sitting outside waiting as Tammy left the theatre. She said very little on the ride home, Michael deciding not to ask any questions as he could sense something was wrong. Tammy rushed indoors and found Richard in the sitting room, the TV was showing a documentary, but no-one was really watching it.

“Dad, I think we have another problem.”

“What makes you think that?”

“The newspaper is taking our photos on Friday at the theatre, they’ll print the lies about me!” She started to cry.

“Tammy, I don’t think you have to worry too much about the paper,” Richard said, but Tammy continued to sob. “Tamara Smart, dry those eyes and listen to me.” It wasn’t a request.

“Yes, Dad.”

“As I said, I don’t think you need to worry much about the paper. Elsie and I have a majority shareholding in the parent company, I’d clean forgotten but I received my annual report today. Elsie knew about the shares but the company only acquired the Thurso Echo a month ago and the new management team wasn’t in place until this week.”

“So?”

“The previous editor has been moved to a different part of the group, there’s a new guy there with clear instructions not to upset the board of directors, that includes you. Apart from that, I don’t think John McPherson will be a problem for a while.” Richard handed his daughter the current week’s paper. The headline was:

School Catering Manager Fined

Tammy skimmed the article: he’d been in court the day before and had been fined £2,500 for breaches of environmental health regulations. He had protested he couldn’t pay it so an order was made to have it deducted from any benefits payments he received, plus he would do twenty hours of community service a week for six months, or until he had paid the fine in full. The school had been given a fine of £100 for failing to supervise him adequately.

She relaxed a little, things were not quite as difficult as she’d thought. Then she yawned and said she was on her way to bed. That effectively ended her Wednesday evening.
 
 
Thursday/Friday 4th/5th December
 
Thursday started with Tammy doing her schoolwork, ending with another rehearsal. She didn’t get a chance to speak to John Hibbert at the theatre during the evening and there was no email with new information.

Friday started much the same with schoolwork taking up the morning. This was interrupted a couple of times by deliveries of fresh coffee, plus the day’s post. One envelope, post-marked Swansea, was of immediate interest.

Tammy tore open the envelope to find her provisional driving licence. She put the plastic photocard in her purse and the paper licence with her personal papers. She wanted to tell her father but he had gone out earlier and wouldn’t be back until the afternoon.

She took lunch in her room and kept working until one thirty. She remembered that she had a hair appointment with Sandy at two and went looking for a driver. The house was empty, she was about to return to her room to phone Sandy when Thomas appeared.

“Miss Smart, I understand you are due in town in half an hour.”

“Yes Thomas, unfortunately I have no transport.”

“I ordered you a taxi a few minutes ago, it should be here shortly.”

“Thank you.”

Tammy ran back up the stairs and located certain purchases from Wednesday morning. She removed the existing enhancers from her bra and inserted the new forms, her figure instantly improved. Tammy grabbed her coat and went down to the sitting room to wait. She wasn’t there more than five minutes when the taxi drew up. The only words she exchanged with the driver were to confirm her destination and, on arrival, the fare.

“Tammy, let me take your coat, Karen’s waiting for you at the sink. Can I get you a drink?”

“Coffee please.”

Tammy was sat in front of Sandy a few minutes later, a towel wrapped around her head.

Over the next hour Sandy worked on Tammy’s hair, whilst Sandy’s tongue never stopped. Tammy was pressed for information but stopped short of admitting her previous existence. Sandy sensed Tammy was holding back.

“Tammy dear, I know you’re trying hard not to tell me everything, but I know most of it anyway, I knew the first time Sarah asked me to sort you out.”

Tammy didn’t know what to say, so said nothing.

“Look, I don’t judge people, I just take as I see. You are a good looking girl, that is what I can see. Whether or not you are, or used to be, a boy is irrelevant. Anyway, Joan Small came in this morning, are you interested in what she said?”

“Isn’t that a breach of hairdresser confidence?”

“Perhaps, but in this case she asked me to pass on a message as I might have mentioned that you were coming in this afternoon.”

“Oh.”

“She said her husband, George, had behaved like an ass. She’s told him to move out, and told me it was a temporary separation while they sort out their issues, but I think she really meant it was permanent. Anyway, there was a huge bust up on Wednesday, George wanted to take Tim with him, away from the school, but Tim didn’t want to leave. Apparently the head gave him detention so he couldn’t leave the premises then cancelled it, after George had left. The governors have apparently agreed that Tim can remain at the school.”

“That explains some of what I heard.”

“Yes, but here’s the interesting bit. George is a big homophobe, and Tim's said he is gay but could never tell his father, or anyone at the school. It was your courage in telling the school about yourself that persuaded Tim to tell his father on Wednesday morning.”

“Woah.”

“It sounds like you have plenty of friends at that school, when are you going back?”

“January, hopefully.”

“Good, they need you. Now, the photographer is due in fifteen minutes, why don’t you have another coffee and wait with my daughters?”

Tammy looked around to see Tanya and Debbie who were now sat behind her, to say she blushed would be an understatement. Sandy however had pulled the chair out, forcing Tammy to stand. Tanya stood and walked over.

“Tammy, don’t worry we won’t bite.” She gave Tammy a kiss on the cheek. “Come and sit down.”

“How long have you known?”

“Since the boy who collected the pastries became the girl.”

“You never said anything at the theatre.”

“No need to, and not the place for a private conversation.”

Tammy looked around the salon, there were at least six more people within earshot of this private conversation.

“Anyway, you’re much better as a girl, and thanks for introducing me to John—he’s a sweetie. He thinks a lot of you, too.”

“No trouble.”

“Perhaps I can help you find the right boy?”

“Slow down, I mean I don’t know.”

“Don’t know what? Oh, if you like boys or girls?”

“Yes.” Tammy was talking quieter now. Any further questioning was halted by the arrival of a man in his fifties carrying a tripod.

“Girls, let’s tidy you up a bit, then we’ll get the photos done.” Sandy was in her element.

Tammy wasn’t sure about the photographer and, if she’d been on her own, probably wouldn’t have hung around. Sandy, however, supervised everything; she was paying for the photos after all. The photos were not only in the salon, they also went for a walk around the town, stopping every few yards when the photographer decided it was a good spot. It took over an hour but eventually Sandy and the photographer were happy.

“Tanya, I’ll see you at the theatre.”

“Okay, Tammy, take care.”

Tammy walked round to Sarah’s but the shop was closed. She was just wondering what to do when her mobile rang.

“Hello?”

“Do you want a ride home?”

“Yes please, Dad. Where are you?”

Richard was waiting just around the corner. Tammy told her father about her afternoon but her father said nothing about his day. Tammy had just ninety minutes before she had to be back at the theatre, but she first had to send John Hibbert an email with what she’d learnt—in confidence of course. That done, she went down for dinner.

At the theatre, once Tammy walked through the stage door, she headed for Iain the director.

“Iain, we might have a problem.”

“You’re pregnant and your doctor’s told you not to do the show?”

“Not exactly, my father and I have to go to London for a few days next week. We’re leaving Sunday afternoon and we’ll be back on Wednesday afternoon.”

“When did you find this out?”

“On Wednesday, but I haven’t had a chance to speak to you.”

“Do you have to go with your father?”

“Yes, my parents are divorcing and I need to see the solicitor as I own the London house.”

“You own the house? What else?”

“Not sure, a few companies? I probably need to see my accountant too.” Tammy laughed.

“Getting back to the issue, apart from tonight you’ll only be at one more rehearsal, next Wednesday.”

“What about Thursday?”

“That’s now going to be the press and invited guests performance.”

“Oh.”

“As it happens, I was already going to let everyone know there’s an extra rehearsal on Saturday afternoon at three, I don’t think you’ll need it but it’ll help the rest of the cast. I think we’ll cope the times you aren’t here as it's the supporting cast that really need it.”

The rest of the evening passed without issue, the cast tried on their costumes and one-by-one the main characters were photographed then interviewed. The press questioning mostly centred on prior acting experience and future aspirations, Tammy answered honestly about school plays but declined to say which school.

The rehearsal itself felt different. The set was now finished and virtually everyone was in their costume. The lighting rig was set, the technician had the lighting plan down. Tammy, Tanya and the other soloists were fitted with radio mics and heard themselves through the monitors.

Tammy hadn’t been aware of the other, non acting, people working on the play, but now appreciated it took everyone else to make the cast look and sound good. Just as the rehearsal ended she saw Tim Small climb down from the gallery. She walked over to him.

“Tim, how are you?”

It took Tim a few moments to work out who was asking the question, but when John appeared at Tammy’s shoulder he relaxed.

“Tammy, I presume. I’m proud of you, what you’ve done.”

“Tim, I was worried about you.”

“Me too.” John felt he had to say something.

“Yeah, sorry I haven’t been able to say much but my father was being a total prat for saying those things about you. I don’t suppose he enjoyed it when I came out.”

“You told him you were gay?”

“Yes, but that wasn't exactly true. You see, I’m like you——”

up
438 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Shiraz,

All I can say is"Oh,Dear!" a new complication, Mr.Small will not be amused.

ALISON

"Mr. Small will not be amused."

WillowD's picture

But we are. Snerk. I am so loving this story.

I found out about Tamara after seeing her in Alicia Snowfall's story "The Chrysalis Project Book 7: Iron Dolphin Book 2". I've been doing a marathon read about Tamara ever since.

Wow!

"You see, I’m like you"

Okay, so that's a curveball ...

DogSig.png

Interesting Development To Say The Least

littlerocksilver's picture

I think Tim will have a good support group. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

Portia

Big surprise!

gillian1968's picture

I'm thoroughly enjoying this story.
I've liked all your stories, but I think this one is the best of yours I've read.

All the best!

Gillian Cairns

ooohhh errrrrr!

Is there something in the water in Thurso? I love this story and can't wait for the next installment. thanks Shiraz

I think!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I think Tammy is about to gain another girl friend,
I wonder what her true name will turn out to be.

*emits an exited burst of pixie dust*
~Hypatia >i< ..:::

Ah..

Podracer's picture

I wonder if Mrs. Small is up to speed on this?
No wonder Tammy is into coffee, such a pace she has to maintain!

"Reach for the sun."

Thurso/North= Penmarris/South?

joannebarbarella's picture

Two friendly places for TG kids? Let's hope so, for Tim's sake as well as Tammy's.

Sorry, Shiraz, but climatically I'd have to go with Penmarris. I hate the cold. Love the story though.

I had the same thought.

Still, it helps having someone blaze the trail. She might even be able to get Sarah more help. :)

Badge of courage

Jamie Lee's picture

Mr. Small should have known his words would have reached the Heads' ears eventually. And he should have known they would get him in trouble. But his ego was bigger than his brain and made him feel empowered to say what he thought. Well, now he'll have plenty of time to be bitter and try and blame others for his problems. And become even more angry over what his son told him. He'll be spitting foul words when he learns the full truth about Tim.

Just how many pies do Richard, Elsie, and Tammy have their fingers in? Is most of it in Tammy's name so Richard can honestly say he doesn't own any part of those businesses? Mom may find not very much coming her way as she figured. How will she react when it's revealed that Tammy owns most of what she was expecting? The house in London for instances.

Others have feelings too.