Among the Val Kyr part 12

Printer-friendly version

--------------------

It was a little uncomfortable to stand perfectly still as a woman I’d never met before silently measured me with a tape measure, acting as though she was trying to fit me for a coffin. But in spite of how awkward the situation felt, I couldn’t help but feeling a little excited as well. After all, this was the next step in my becoming an active duty Val Kyr.

This morning had started the way things often did, with sword lessons and sparring, though after a couple hours, Lindrell had changed things up. The rest of the morning had been spent with lessons on triad combat tactics, which focused largely on what the roles of the triad members were and how they could support each other. And though this had been fascinating, it had also been a clear reminder that I didn’t fit into any of those roles, and as such, seemed to have no real place in the triad. By the time lunch came, I was feeling pretty depressed again, though everything turned around once Lindrell told me what was planned for the afternoon.

After lunch, Julie and I were sent to a section of Val Halla where neither of us had been yet. There was a large building, and at the front there was a blacksmith’s forge where a Val Kyr was taking hammer to anvil and making what was clearly intended to be a sword. The two of us stopped and watched her working the metal for several minutes before going further into the building, seeing another Val Kyr who was working a pottery wheel and one who was doing glass blowing. This entire building was reserved for artisans and craftsmen…craftswomen, containing various tools and workshops, including the one that was claimed by Lindrell for her furniture making. However, there was only one shop that we were interested in at the moment.

I instinctively flinched when Zubell, the woman with the tape measure, suddenly cupped my breasts, though she was completely professional as she did so. Still, Julie burst out laughing from where she was sitting a short distance away. I glared at her, though she responded by sticking out her tongue. Of course, Julie had already gone through this whole thing as well, right before it was my turn.

“I have everything I need for the two of you,” Zubell said, giving each of us a speculative look. “Wait right here…”

As soon as Zubell went into the next room, Julie gave me a grin and said, “This is so exciting…”

“I know what you mean,” I responded with a grin of my own.

Zubell returned a couple minutes later and set a pile of armor pieces on the floor. She separated the pile out into two smaller piles, one of them intended for Julie and one for myself. After all the training that we’d done over the last two weeks, we were finally being given our own armor. I could hardly wait to try it on.

“Since neither of you is jatta,” Zubell told us, “you won’t need the heavier armor. This should allow a good balance between protection, flexibility, and ease of movement.”

With that, Zubell began to help Julie get dressed in her new armor, demonstrating how it went together, adjusting the straps and making sure everything fit. Julie’s new armor was a mixture of leather and finely woven chain mail, and it looked pretty good on her. Once she was fully dressed, Zubell looked her over and seemed satisfied as well.

“Wear this as much as possible over the next week,” Zubell instructed Julie. “You’ll familiarize yourself with wearing armor, and as your essence infuses with it, it will adjust to your body further, becoming both stronger and more comfortable.”

“But I can infuse my essence with it right away,” Julie pointed out, just a little smugly.

“Every notru says the exact same thing,” Zubell pointed out with a scowl. “And while true, quickly infused essence will also fade quickly. Essence you allow to build slowly lasts much longer and will become more personally attuned to you.”

Julie nodded at that, having a thoughtful look on her face. As a notru, she’d been practicing on how to push her essence into other things quickly, so this was probably the first time she’d been told to hold back and go slowly.

While Zubell helped me get dressed in my armor, Julie practiced stretching and moving around in hers. “You know,” she told me with a grin. “I feel like I’m doing a Xena cosplay…”

“Just don’t expect me to be Gabrielle,” I pointed out wryly.

Julie just grinned more broadly. “Why not? You are the blonde one.”

Once my armor was on and fully adjusted, I moved around carefully, surprised at just how light it felt. Then again, I was a lot stronger than I used to be, even if I didn’t look it. I went over to the full length mirror that Zubell had on the wall and looked myself over, amazed at how dangerous I looked. With this armor on, I actually looked like a warrior woman from some video game or book…or like the Val Kyr I now was.

My armor was a little more heavy duty than Julie’s was, with some overlapping metal plates for my torso and back, though it wasn’t as sturdy as Lindrell’s armor either. All in all, it looked pretty awesome and I had no doubt that if I showed up at a fantasy convention in this gear, I’d probably get a lot of compliments.

“Bring your armor back to me if it requires repair,” Zubell told us in a professional tone. “And once you have a decade under your belt, you can talk to me about custom armor if you’re so interested.” With that, she turned her back to us and began cleaning up, making it clear that we were dismissed.

As we walked away, Julie stared down at herself and grinned, much the way she did when she was checking out a cosplay costume that she was particularly proud of. “This is awesome…”

“Definitely,” I agreed, giving her a matching grin. “The only thing we’re missing is some real weapons.”

I grinned for almost the entire walk across Val Halla, back to where we were going to meet up with Lindrell again. At the moment, I was in a very good mood since for perhaps the first time, I actually felt like I belonged…like I’d been accepted as Val Kyr. I just tried not to think of everything I’d left behind in order to earn this chance.

When Julie and I arrived at our usual training spot, I saw Lindrell and Shannon were both already there, dressed up in their armor and looking ready to go. Julie grinned at the sight of them and asked, “How do we look?”

“Like Val Kyr,” Lindrell answered with a faint smile before her expression turned grim. She gave me a look that suddenly made me worried.

“What’s wrong?” I asked suspiciously.

“Our triad has been given orders to go on a training mission,” Lindrell answered with a scowl. “We’re going out with another triad to check on a report of some minor daemons.”

“All right,” Julie exclaimed, nearly jumping with excitement. However, I hadn’t missed the fact that Lindrell didn’t clearly didn’t share her enthusiasm. She put a hand on my shoulder and said, “We’re finally going to go on a mission…”

“Michelle isn’t going,” Shannon stated, making Julie and I both freeze.

Lindrell gave me an apologetic look as she explained, “Michelle, I’ve been ordered to leave you behind…”

“What?” I asked defensively. “Why?”

Shannon looked like she was about to say something but Lindrell gave her a cold look and she shut her mouth. Then Lindrell looked back to me. “I’ve been told that you aren’t to go into the field until you’ve had further training. Unfortunately, while we’re gone, you’ll remain here in Val Halla…training.”

With those words, my good mood crashed through the floor and the confidence I’d been starting to feel over the last few days faded away. I grimaced, clenching my fists in anger and trying to fight back the tears that threatened to come. After all the hard work I’d been putting in to show that I could pull my own weight, it still wasn’t good enough. This was a firm reminder that I was a convert with no pillar…and that I’d never accepted as Val Kyr. I’d lost my body…my dad…everything I knew for nothing.

“I’m sorry,” Lindrell told me in a gentle tone, giving me an apologetic look.

Julie gave me a worried look then abruptly threw her arms around me. “Don’t worry,” she promised me quietly, “Everything will work out… I know it will. You just have to have faith.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” I spat out bitterly, making Julie wince. I bit my tongue before I could say more. I was pissed…and even jealous…but it wasn’t Julie’s fault.

“We’re leaving immediately,” Lindrell said, looking to Shannon and then Julie. Then she stared at me with worried look and something else that I couldn’t quite read. “I’ve been instructed to send you straight to the fifth courtyard as soon as possible.” She reached out and put hand on my shoulder, looking me straight in the eyes, then quietly added, “You have what it takes to be a great Val Kyr. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

I nodded at that, not trusting myself to actually say anything. I was afraid that if I did, I’d either burst out crying or start yelling, neither of which would help to get me taken seriously. As the three of them started for the door, I finally called out to Julie, “Be careful.”

“You too,” she responded, giving me a worried look.

Shannon hesitated at the door, then said, “Maybe next time, after you’ve completed your remedial training…”

Once everyone was gone, I let out a snarl and punched the wall in anger. My fist cracked the stone where it struck, but my entire hand was immediately filled with pain. I let out a yelp of pain and then grabbed my hand, though I could already feel my val going to work on it. It wouldn’t take long before any injury I’d given myself would be completely healed, as though it had never happened. If only my emotional bruises could heal as quickly as the physical ones.

“It’s not fair,” I muttered bitterly. “After all this…” I looked down at my armor, which just a short time ago had been a clear sign that I’d been accepted as a Val Kyr. Now, it almost seemed like it had been given to me as a joke.

I remained where I was four about ten minutes, long enough to cool down, at least enough so that I was no longer punching or kicking the wall. It was also enough to heal my hand, at least most of the way. My hand was still a little tender, but I knew that even that would fade quickly. That meant I’d probably meant that instead of breaking bones, I’d probably just bruised it pretty good.

Then I finally remembered that I was supposed to go straight to the fifth courtyard for my remedial training, though I certainly wasn’t in the mood for it at the moment. Then again, I was pretty pissed off so maybe being able to swing a sword at someone was just what I needed. With that in mind, I started for the courtyard, wondering who they were going to have teach me this time. With the way my luck was running, it would probably be Jass or one of the other women who hated me on general principle.

The fifth courtyard was probably the smallest courtyard in Val Halla, but it was completely walled in so it was also the most private. There were no rose bushes, ivy climbing the walls, or other plants as decorations, but when I entered the courtyard, I saw that weapons racks had recently been placed against the walls. There was also a woman present, fully armored and wearing a helmet which obscured her features. She was standing in the middle of the courtyard, obviously waiting for me.

“I am Ionne,” she stated as soon as I entered the courtyard. “Take up a weapon and attack me.”

The woman…Ionne held a spear, though it wasn’t like any spear I’d seen before, even in the weapons racks of the notru training hall. This spear had a sharp metal point, not just on one end, but on both. After looking at that spear, I was tempted to grab a spear from the rack so she wouldn’t have the advantage in reach, but I had a lot more practice with a sword than with a spear so I grabbed one of those from the weapons rack instead.

I approached Ionne cautiously, not knowing anything about her, though from the spear, I guessed she was notru. She wasn’t wearing a sash. I took a swing at her and she easily blocked my attack, then swung her spear around and in a swift move, hit my ankle and knocked my foot out from underneath me. I hit the ground hard, and before I could even get up, she lunged at me, nearly impaling me with the tip of her spear.

Though I scrambled back and out of the way, Ionne kept coming. I managed to get back to my feet but had to block her attacks as quickly as I could. Several of her strikes got through my defenses, making me thankful I was wearing armor. But at the same time, the armor was unfamiliar and was slowing me down. I might have been able to do better without it, though I wasn’t willing to find out at the moment.

“Is that all you have?” Ionne asked, sounding almost disappointed. “You’ll have to do better than that.”

I grimaced in anger, feeling sick and tired of all these Val Kyr treating me like I was crap because I’d been born a guy…or because I wasn’t as powerful. I hadn’t asked to become Val Kyr, to give up everything I used to be, but I’d tried my best to look at this as an opportunity and deal with it. But no matter how hard I tried, it never seemed to be enough.

With a grimace of determination, I charged at Ionne again, attacking her as hard as I could. She continued blocking, smacking me with the spear and then swiping at my feet. I was getting better at sensing when she was about to do that though, thanks for my practice with the kaern. I just had to pay attention, let myself sense when she was starting to make a move so I knew what she was about to pull on me. Then when the opportunity presented itself, I swung my sword at her as hard as I could, having learned from my sparring sessions that I was stronger than any of the notru or kaern I’d practiced against. However, she stopped my attack, taking a step back from the impact but not being thrown off like I’d been hoping.

Suddenly, Ionne lashed out with her spear, and as I went to block it, she lunged forward and swept my foot from underneath me, then she continued forward and slammed me to the ground. I scrambled back to my feet, only to have her to it again. This was getting more than a little frustrating.

“Why don’t you stay down?” Ionne asked. “It will be much easier on you…”

I didn’t answer Ionne, at least not with words. Instead, I renewed my attack, though she kept dodging and blocking, reacting so quickly that there was no doubt that she was kaern. Kaern were the only ones who had reflexes that sharp.

“You can’t defeat me,” Ionne stated as though this was a simple fact.

Ionne swung her spear at me, using it more as a staff at the moment. I blocked with my sword, being knocked back by the impact. She was strong, though I was used to sparring against Lindrell and she hit a lot harder.

“Lindrell has been teaching you well,” Ionne, suddenly lunging again hitting me with the spear. This time, if it hadn’t been for my armor, she would have impaled me. “But you still don’t stand a chance.”

“I don’t care,” I responded angrily, sick and tired of everyone wanting me to turn and run away. Or at least, that was what it felt like at times.

Ionne attacked again, and when I tried blocking, the sword was knocked from my hand and sent flying. She swung the spear at me, hitting me in the side, hard enough that it would have broken ribs if not for my armor, then she swept my feet out from beneath me before driving the spear tip right into my chest.

“Stay down,” Ionne commanded.

“No,” I snapped, glaring up at her.

Ionne backed away, letting me return to my feet. Then she suddenly slammed the tip of her spear straight down into the ground. An instant later, there was a flash of lightning, though where it came from I didn’t know. It struck the spear and sent a burst of sparks flying in every direction. Though Ionne didn’t seem to be affected at all, I felt a burning through my body, feeling almost as though I’d just been hit with a taser.

From what I’d been told, nearly every Val Kyr could perform some kind of trick, using some of the essence stored in their weapons to do amazing things. Lindrell cold create frost and ice from her axe, and it appeared that Ionne could turn her spear into a lightning rod. Fortunately, I also knew that this would use up the extra essence, and that for anyone but notru, they’d need to recharge their weapon before they could do use it again.

I scrambled back to my feet, feeling sore and shaken from that attack and wondering just how bad it would have been if she’d actually stuck me with the spear before doing that. I shuddered at the thought, then tried to push it aside. I started back towards my sword, though she threw her spear and it stuck into the ground, right between me and the sword.

“You don’t give up easily,” Ionne said, sounding pleased by that. “Good.” She walked over to a weapon rack and pulled out a large war hammer, one that was like an oversized sledge hammer, though not nearly as large as Lei’s. “Pick a new weapon.”

I took one more look at my lost sword, then went to the weapons rack and looked over the variety of different weapons. Since Ionne obviously intended for me to use something other than the sword, I grabbed a spear. It wasn’t a double sided spear like the one she’d been using, but I hoped the extra reach would help me beat her.

Ionne made no comment about my weapon choice and merely gestured for me to attack. I didn’t need any more invitation than that. I lunged at her, though she used the hammer to knock the spear blade aside. Her weapon was heavier and slower than mine, but she continued blocking, reacting the moment I began making my moves. Yet again, I was certain she was kaern.

Then Ionne swung the large hammer at me and I used the spear to block, though she’d hit with enough force to send me flying back onto my ass. I quickly scrambled back to my feet, a bit surprised at how strong she was. I didn’t think she was jatta, but she was hitting harder than any kaern or notru I’d sparred with.

We continued sparring with hammer and spear, with her getting past my defenses several times, giving me several hard blows that would have broken bones if it wasn’t for my armor. My armor was holding up a lot better than I would have expected, for which I was grateful. I really didn’t want to have to take it back to Zubell for repairs on the same day she’d given it to me.

“Pay attention,” Ionne ordered, holding out her hammer.

Since she’d just warned me to pay attention, I did just that, and I could feel it as she began pouring essence into the hammer. I was surprised at that since only notru could push essence into something so quickly and easily, but Ionne was kaern… Wasn’t she?

Ionne stood there for a moment, still holding her newly infused hammer, then she slammed it into the ground. There was BOOM and the ground shattered and exploded, sending a shockwave of shattered stone in my direction. Since I was paying attention, I saw the wave coming in time to leap to the side and avoid it.

I stared at Ionne…and her hammer, wondering how she’d done that. Was she kaern or notru? I’d been certain she was kaern, but she’d just pulled out essence and used it as a weapon like the notru. Then again, she hadn’t infused her essence into either the air or the ground…only into her weapon. She’d used the same kind of weapon trick that any Val Kyr could perform, though she’d charged the weapon much more quickly.

In spite of the fact that I was worried about what she was going to pull on me next, I was also excited. That trick she’d just pulled… I was sure I could do it. After all, when I’d been training with the notru, I’d been able to generate enough essence to do a few small things…maybe even enough to charge a weapon.

With that, I pushed my own essence into the spear I was holding and I felt it charge up. It was now stronger and tougher, with the tip being even sharper and more effective. However, I pushed in even more essence, all that I could spare. The whole spear was infused with essence, more than it needed to merely be a spear.

Ionne made no move to attack me while I was doing this. Instead, she stood back, watching me expectantly…waiting for me. It took me a moment to realize that she wanted me to copy her move. She wanted me to do the same thing she had.

“I can do this,” I muttered, focusing on my spear and the extra essence it contained. I wasn’t sure how to make full use out of it, but even as I thought that, the entire spear burst into flame. It didn’t burn my hands, though I wasn’t sure I wanted to risk holding it long enough to give it a chance.

Still, I didn’t want to waste this opportunity, so I charged at Ionne and tried to hit her with the spear. She leapt back so I drove the tip of my spear into the ground at her feet. Suddenly, all the flame rushed right out of the spear and onto the ground, where it continued to burn like a puddle of napalm.

“Holy shit,” I blurted out in surprise.

“An interesting manifestation of your essence,” Ionne commented, sounding amused. “Now switch weapons.”

Ionne casually tossed her hammer aside and went to the weapon rack, pulling out a broadsword. I followed her lead, dropping the spear and going to pick out an axe. Then we went at it again.

It was strange to spar with a weapon that I’d never used before, and one I wasn’t comfortable with. Ionne obviously held back because of that, but she still got past my defenses to hit me numerous times.

I didn’t have enough essence to charge my new weapon up the way I had my spear, so we sparred in a fairly normal fashion for about twenty minutes, until Ionne decided to step things up again. She charged her sword with essence and it suddenly burned with a glowing green aura, one which made me wary. Fortunately, by then, I was able to pull out enough essence again to charge up my axe. Once I did, a thin layer of frost formed over the blade, much like when Lindrell used her ability.

“Good,” Ionne said, right before she swung her sword right at my head. I brought the axe up to block, and to my surprise, she cut right through it. Her blade barely missed actually hitting me, but that was obviously due to her control rather than my defense. Since my axe was destroyed, she just casually tossed her sword to the side.

I expected Ionne to tell me to pick a new weapon, but instead, she just punched me. Her fist connected with my jaw and I was knocked back, feeling almost as though I’d been punched by Buff…before my Val Kyr augmentation. Ionne didn’t say a word and just came at me, throwing another punch.

“I don’t think so,” I said, blocking her punch, which seemed to surprise her. I just grinned, suddenly feeling a little more confident in my chances. I’d never taken a martial arts class in my life, but my dad had taught me how to fight.

Fighting Ionne unarmed was different than fighting her with a weapon. Since we were both wearing armor, our punches and kicks couldn’t actually hurt each other, with one exception. I didn’t have a helmet, so any of her punches to my face still hurt, but she was wearing a helmet so I was unable to return the favor. Still, for about five minutes, we traded punches and kicks until she suddenly swept around and kicked me in the stomach hard enough to send me flying back to where I landed on my back.

Ionne came and stood over me, but she made no move to kick me or further attack like I might have expected. Instead, she reached down, offering a hand to help me up. After hesitating for a second, I accepted it.

“You do not surrender in the face of a superior foe,” Ionne stated, sounding pleased. “You’ve shown that you can learn quickly and be flexible when the situation changes. I’m pleased to see that I won’t be wasting my time with you.”

I winced at that, then said, “I imagine you’re probably not happy having to give me remedial training.”

“Remedial training?” Ionne asked, sounding surprised. “Is that what you think this is?” Then before I could answer, she stated, “I’m not here to provide any remedial training. I’m here as your mentor.”

With that, Ionne removed her helmet and shook her long silvery white hair free. Then she stared at me with frost blue eyes that seemed to look straight through me, making me suddenly feel as though I was frozen in place. All I could do was stare back in recognition…and shock at the realization that the person I’d just spent the last couple hours sparring with was none other than Freya.

up
416 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cool...

Patrick Malloy's picture

I've been enjoying this story so far, but I must say that the plot twist at the end of this installment was quite surprising. Good job!

I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Patrick Malloy

Wow.

Now that's a Mentor. And here Michelle was thinking of herself as near failure. This development was a pleasant surprise.

Maggie

Interesting

I was sure that Freya would involve herself with Michelle at some point. I think that we are going to find that Michelle is even more special than a Val Kyr that belongs to a pillar. She might not be as strong as any one of them in their own discipline, but she can obviously perform almost well as they can in all of the disciplines.

I really like this story.

Surprise

:)

Freya

has come out to play with our little heroine. Now lets see with our Maestro takes us on this journey from here.

SDom

I did have a feeling about our leader here :)

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

Pillar?

Does Freya have a pillar? Or is it that the other Val Kyr only assume she does?

Another great story

I am really wondering where this is going. One things that has caught my attention seems to be that Michelle seems to need more time to build her essence up. One reason might be she needs more time to adjust to the sex change and that as she does the essence will flow easier.

The other is what was said about the armor was to build the essence into it slow and I wonder if that holds true for the weapons. It might be that as Michelle gets stronger and more in control her weapons and armor will be greater.

I am looking forward to when she puts some of these Val Kyr on their backsides.

Thanks

Katie

About Time.

About time Mike caught a break. With Freya as a mentor, hopefully it will shut down some of the mouthy ones that openly display their hatred of converts.

Well...

So, the leader of the group is now personally training someone despised by half of the group, for simply existing. That is going to cause friction among the ranks.

And it makes sense that Freya would have a working understanding of each of the three pillars that her group uses for the organization of their powers.

By the way, good chapter.

Why do I sense that all the

Why do I sense that all the other women who have been bad mouthing Michelle are going to wish they had not? Some mentor Michelle now has. Going right to the top Val Kyr for training--COOL.

Well I suspect Freya qualifies for all three pillars

Of course probably on the lower end as far as I can tell given that she seems to be better than Michelle in all three abilities but not to top standards in each pillar. So, I wonder which little birdies have been keeping Freya apprised of her new Val Kyr's progress?

And yes, Michelle needs this. It is also fortunate she did not have a tantrum for not going on that training mission.She needs to understand that being an adult that she must have perspective and discipline.

The moment

Ionne stepped onto the training ground I had a feeling I knew who it had to be. This is turning out to be one of your very best!

Hugs
Grover

Earlier than I expected

I see where Michelle has Freya as her mentor. I hoped for such an action, but not so soon. i look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Please keep bringing the chapters and I will try to keep reading them.

Thank you

Perhaps not inferior for ever?

I am wondering if there is a way for her to gain the power of the others, and perhaps more?

Gwen

Great Work

I'm loving this series! And thank you for keeping the updates coming in sich a timely fashion, much appreciated!

Karol

Holy O_O

Morpheus you always are so good at cliffhangers and keeping us guessing about your main chars, I love your stories :D

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Ionne

Ameria's picture

Ionne is a rare male name but almost never a female name. :)

Another message from Hissy the Snake.

Oh...

Good catch, Ameria.

I look forward to when the rest of the group finds out.

I had a fealing

That Freya was the one behind the helmet. Good show Michelle not backing down going to the mat and getting back up every time. That is the making of a true student of Freya. Now Michelle will be trained by the best, it's going to hurt maybe a lot but in the end Michelle will find her way of being a truly great Val Kyr.

It is good that Freya hid her Id. I think that Michelle would need to have changed her undies, if she knew who she was sparing with from the beginning.

I am very impressed at how well and fast the story reads, keeping pace with the action.
You have the touch, in creating very well structured stories. Thank you for your work it is great fun to read and a challenge to a beginning writer to learn from.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

so did freya start out like

so did freya start out like michelle with no pillar, maybe that's why she took an interest in her

Outstanding!

D. Eden's picture

I foresee some comeuppance for a few Val Kyr in the very near future!

This should shake up the status quo.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I don't think MIchelle will be bragging

In fact, I suspect Freya will be wanting her to only use the name Ionne when telling people about her new mentor. The Val Kyr are still only human, so I think there would be political issues if it were widely spread that Freya was personally mentoring the girl whom a bunch of other Val Kyr - potentially including one of the heads of the three pillars - regard as the saddest and sorriest excuse for a recruit since Estrid.

I'm sure it will come out eventually, but I'm not expecting it to be an immediate revelation. And even if it does, it won't make things any easier on her. Instead of just being a convert and lacking a pillar, she'll be the recruit so unpromising that only Freya herself has any chance of salvaging her, or the recruit so bad that she is wasting Freya's time instead of getting a mentor from one of the pillars like proper normal recruits.

Prejudice doesn't go away quickly. Getting a politically powerful mentor will at most make it go into hiding for a while.

Didn't see this one . . .

Well done Morpheus! I had no idea that Freya was another "no pillar" Val Kyr. Now I wonder if she was also a convert. In any event she will be able to show Michelle more than any of the others. It was nice to see Michelle catch a break.

I only wonder what's going to happen on the "training" mission. I suspect that one of her three new friends will get injured, or maybe captured. Something bad is about to happen! I can't wait to see the next chapter.

cheers
Zapper

coming or going?

Sadarsa's picture

LoL ok that was a funny twist.. at first i suspected she was Freya untill she gave the name Ionne, then i was like "oh"... then Bam! it really was her!... had me twisting in the wind there for a bit.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

There are some BIG CLUES here and in recent chapters

Though which are clear and which are obfuscated is not clear yet.

WHY did Ionne appear to be both kaern AND notru? Is it her vast experience that allows her to hide her true pillar? Or is she like Michelle, a non pillar?

Is this why Freya has been manipulating things behind the scenes?

Is Michelle destined to make converts, carefully selected ones, welcome again? Or is she destined for something far greater?

I keep getting the feeling Freya sees in Michelle her possible successor.

At least Michelle has been getting some begrudging respect from a few of her critics.

And from clues of late I can see why converts are not trusted and also WHY they turned out bad.

They were treated so poorly no wonder some snapped.

Though why the first betrayal by converts happened I am not certain. Other than their thoughts being influenced by the intense male dominated thinking of the then societies these former warrior men were raised in.

As to the scouting mission... could be ominous for her friends or just a McGuffin.

The real trouble lies ahead?

And is that ValKyr that ran off, the convert so reviled by others, really dead?

The demons scouting the castle defenses seems important from a recent chapter as well.

Lots if hints but I'm sure we have surprises ahead.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Fifth Court

BarbieLee's picture

Fifth Court Fifth Element
Michelle doesn't quite fit in with any of the three pillars although she has shown talents and essence in all three. Freya has demonstrated essence of all three in abundance. A braided rope is stronger than a single strand. It is even stronger than three single strands of the same material. Michelle and Freya are Fifth Elements, more than a combination of the three pillars or Triad. A Force to be reckoned with and not taken lightly. Michelle has no learning curve. She understands the first time an error is made. There is no seconds or do overs.
An axe is useless before it has been tempered in the fire and honed to a fine cutting edge. Michelle is being tempered and honed as a warrior.

Morpheus is doing good putting his own temper and edge on this one. Nice!

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I've had a question rolling around

I've had a question rolling around in my head as to just who Mike/Michelle's missing mother might actually be? All we know about her is that she left when Mike was very young. We know that the Val Kry do make extended stays on Earth to keep up to date with modern society, to get college educations, etc. While it hasn't been discussed, it was implied that the Val Kry can have children. As there are no children in Val Halla, that would mean that any children of the Val Kry are left on Earth with some later being recruited to join the Val Kyr. This would explain why Lindrell took such an interest in Mike while in history class and why she was so willing to break the rules to save Mike's life after he sacrificed himself to save Julie's life.

So the question is, if Mike/Michelle's mother is indeed Val Kry, them who might she be? At first I had thought that Lindrell might be Michelle's mother, whoever after this chapter I'm now thinking that it could actually be Freya. In this chapter we learn that Freya doesn't wear a sash identifying her as a member of any of the three pillars and that she is also proficient in the disciplines of the three different pillars. It is also apparent that Freya's decision to be Michelle's mentor and the newly setup training area in court 5 would seem to suggest that Michelle is to be given some very specialized training that only Freya can give. I would seem that it is very unusual that Freya would take on someone to personally train like this. Taken as a whole, it seems that there is a good possibility that Freya is Michelle's mother. Of course I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see what surprises and plot twists Morpheus has in store for us in the coming chapters

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

I really like the story.

Mopar's picture

I really like the story. Especially since I am writing a Freya story on TG Storytime.

Seemed Clear to Me...

...that Michelle had been set up to train with an accomplished no-pillar Val Kyr, and learn the potential for someone in her category. We knew that Michelle wasn't the first of her type, and since she wasn't being rejected out of hand, it seemed that there would have to be a way to train someone like her with limited but significant power in all three strengths.

Certainly wasn't expecting the mentor to be Freya, though. If there's no role for a no-pillar Val Kyr between recruit and goddess-in-charge, there's not a whole lot for Michelle to aspire to. Sure, getting better than she is now is an incentive in its own right, especially since it reduces the chance of her getting killed in action. But the implication of sparring with Ionne (though Michelle was taking forever to figure it out) was that a no-pillar generalist like Michelle could train her limited power up to adept level in all three disciplines (or at least kairn and notru), as Ionne apparently had. That falls by the wayside now.

I had been leaning toward Freya turning out to be Michelle's mother, given her interference with the recruiting process where Michael and Julie were concerned. Seems even more likely now. (I had the feeling at the time that the only reason Lindrell was still around with Julie when Michael got there was to see if he'd take the bait, so to speak, and come in. After all, Julie had already agreed to go with her, and apparently wasn't going to be allowed to notify family or friends, so whatever she and Lindrell still had to do could as easily have been done in Val Halla -- and more safely, assuming that the summoner and the daemons were after Lindrell.)

Eric