Tamara's Debut - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Two

 

by Shiraz

 

 
Sunday 16th November Continued
 

As Sarah went for the shop's phone, Tammy's mobile rang. She took a few moments to realise it was her phone and, although she didn't really want to speak to anyone, retrieved the phone from Tommy's backpack. No number was shown.

"Hello?"

"Tom, are you alright? I tried to get you at the school but they said you were out. The school is also trying to reach you, but they don't have your mobile number apparently."

"Yes mum, but they do have my number. I'm in town at the moment, is something wrong?"

"Yes, apparently there was a severe bout of food poisoning after breakfast. Did you have anything hot?"

"No, just muesli and a black coffee. I wasn't very hungry."

"Well, the school called had to inform Highland Council. The health inspectors have had to close the kitchens, of course that means the school as well."

"Oh."

"Is that all you can say, do you realise what that means? I'm in Lausanne and your father's in Geneva. He's not due back in the UK for two weeks so I'm staying by Lake Geneva. There's no point in me being at home on my own, what about you, I'll get a ticket booked so you can fly out, I said that to the school. You know which hotel I'm in, you stayed here last winter."

"Mum, I'm rehearsing for a play and want to stay close to the school."

"A play? You never said anything about that."

"I only found out yesterday myself."

"So what will you do?"

"I'll stay locally. There's the Castletown Hotel plus some guest houses. The school could be open in a few days."

"I'm not sure about that, it might not be until next weekend."

"Mum, I'm 18 years old and can take care of myself." Tommy did not say that he'd been having to take care of himself for the past ten years. His mother refused to accept that perhaps she had abandoned her son at that school. That she knew so little about what he did, or who he'd become, was no surprise to anyone who knew the family.

"Okay, but I want to be able to check with somebody."

"Mum, I'm with Sarah Bonney. She knows me and is the local businesswoman who's helping me with my Business A Level."

"Can I speak to her?" He handed Sarah the phone who'd been stood there for a few seconds.

"Good afternoon Mrs Smart."

"Ah, hello. I understand you know my son."

"Yes, very well in fact. He is using my business as part of his coursework, with the school's approval."

"He never said, ah well, would you mind keeping an eye on him for me? Here's my mobile number."

Sarah wrote down the number and continued to speak to Tommy's mother for a minute, exchanging contact details. Tammy went to the small bathroom and washed her face, her mascara has streaked. Even without make-up she was still Tammy, Sarah came to find her.

"Tammy, it's settled, you're staying with me. Your mum will expect regular contact and she said you're to fly to Geneva if you feel the need."

"What about the school?"

"I spoke to the school office, they told me the same as your mum, but they've said they want you to collect any clothes and bits you need. Most of the school are leaving now, the rest will be gone later. The school is running coaches to the airport, there's a special shuttle flight to Glasgow being arranged so kids can get south easier. Privately the school secretary thought it could be closed for two weeks, remember that TV Chef who had to close his restaurant?"

"Yes, I remember, the Duck or something. Sarah, how do I get the rest of my bits, looking like this?"

"Let's wait until after 4 when it's getting dark, the airport coaches will have gone by then; we'll find a hat you can wear. You still have the clothes you wore this morning, don't you?"

"I suppose it might work. Don't forget that I need to let the school know where I am, they might want to see me about coursework as I'm staying locally."

"I doubt that, apart from those who live locally, most of the teachers will have left as well, and your mum told the school you'd be in Geneva, didn't she? They wouldn't try to send anything to you there."

"I suppose you're right, it just seems wrong telling another lie."

"I didn't get where I am ... you know what I mean. Look, I've got plenty of experience in making the best of a bad situation. This'll be excellent experience for you, and you'll have time to know the part of Anita to perfection. Let's have a coffee."

Sarah then phoned the theatre to let them know Tammy couldn't make it, but only reached the answerphone, so left a brief message.

An hour later they pulled into the school carpark. Tom was wearing a woolly hat Sarah had found back at her house. "My ex-husband's" she explained. Sarah stayed in the car, that avoided unecessary questions, the few students still there were too busy with their own affairs to worry about Tommy. He grabbed a case, packing all of Tammy's clothes, noting how little he actually had, plus a few changes of Tommy's just in case. He added his wash bag, laptop, camera and a few other bits. He just remembered the charger for the mobile phone as he reached the door.

Down in the foyer he went to the school office and spoke to the Head's secretary, between her many phone calls. His passport was on the table next to a signing-out sheet. There was a form asking for contact details, Tom put the name of the hotel in Lausanne and his mobile number plus outside email address, even though all this was in his file. He made it outside without incident and loaded his bags into her car. Just as Tommy was walking to the car Mr Small approached. This was not good timing.

"Smart, did I see you in town earlier?"

"Sir, I was in town but I didn't see you."

"I may be mistaken but I saw a girl who looked just like you."

"Sir, could that have been Tamara Bonney? She's a cousin who sometimes visits Thurso."

"Right Smart, where are you off to now?"

"I'm staying in town tonight and flying out tomorrow. It's too late to go now, I missed the coaches."

The teacher moved towards the school and shook his head. Tommy got into the car and sat, almost frozen with fear and relief at the same time.

"Sarah, that was too close. If he'd have seen you too, he might have worked it out. I didn't like lying to him one bit, that could get me thrown out of the school."

"Tammy, you did really well. There was always a chance of being seen but you needed to be able to handle it,let's get moving."

Tommy sat there in contemplation for the ride to Sarah's house on the Western side of the town, Once there, they carried his bags in.

"Tammy, use the guest room at the top of the stairs on the left. Have a wash and get changed. Did you bring your make-up?"

"Yes, of course."

Tommy went up and came back down thirty minutes later as Tammy. As they'd eaten well at lunchtime, only a sandwich was needed. By nine Tammy was exhausted but realised she had no nightwear. Sarah loaned her a nightie but commented that Tammy needed some more clothes, that would be tomorrow's job.
 
 
Monday 17th November
 

At breakfast the following morning Tammy was again trying to work out if this was a good idea. She'd tried to think it through in bed but had fallen into a deep dreamless sleep.

"Tammy, your coffee's getting cold. I've got to open up the shop in forty-five minutes and you're not dressed, take your coffee up with you and get in the shower."

Thirty minutes later, Tammy was back down. While she'd been in the shower Sarah had been through Tammy's limited wardrobe and laid out a set of clothes for the day. The wind was still fairly strong, and from the North-West but they would be sheltered in the town centre.

Sarah had chosen a denim skirt but put a pair of opaque tights there as well. A blouse and Tammy's only clean set of underwear finished the day's clothes. As Tammy only normally appeared on a Saturday, she didn't need many clothes, nor undies. Things would be different for now.

They reached the shop just before nine, Tammy was sent to the bakery while Sarah opened up. Once she returned with the usual bag of pastries, Tammy went to clear space for a delivery that was expected. Again, this was new as there were no deliveries at the weekend. The van arrived at ten and Tammy opened the shop's rear doors, she went out to help but was turned back by the driver.

"Leave this to me lassie, what's your name?"

Sarah came into the storeroom just as the driver spoke.

"Bill, please leave her alone, she's only sixteen and doesn't need any attention from you!" Turning to Tammy she asked her to check the shop as the bell had sounded, taking the delivery note to check the order. The driver left a few minutes later, Sarah switched on the kettle and made two mugs of coffee.

In the shop, Tammy was helping an elderly lady she'd never seen before who wanted to know everything about Tammy, who initially struggled to recall the cover story and had to invent a few new details. The lady, who said her name was Elsie, tried on several winter coats before settling on the first one she'd picked up.

"Good morning Elsie, I see you've met my niece." Sarah put the two mugs of coffee on the counter.

"Yes Sarah, she's a lovely lass."

A few minutes later she was gone, having handed over £60. With the shop now empty they sat and ate the pastries.

"Tammy, you could do with some more clothes. I can't completely kit you out and in any case I don't have much in your size. If there's anything you do like, let me know and I'll order it, but you'll have to pay for it at cost. I've afraid business isn't good enough for me to be more generous. Grab your coat and walk into the High Street, get yourself some knickers and bras first, just plain ones will do, you need enough for a week or so, ten of each, right? Then sort out some practical clothes, not party stuff!"

Tammy grabbed her small purse, containing Tommy's Visa debit card. She quickly realised that the three hundred pounds in the account wouldn't last very long and she'd have to transfer some money. First item however would have to be a shoulder bag, her skirt did not have any pockets!

"Sarah, I know I need probably more money than I have in my account right now, so I can't get everything, not right away. When we get back to your house I can use my laptop to transfer some money but right now I have to limit things. If I were to use my Amex card, dad would see the transactions."

"Right, concentrate on the essentials, enough for the next two days for now."

Tammy walked out into the lane and turned towards the High Street. The wind was biting, catching Tammy's skirt. This was a steep learning curve in living as a female. Tammy did a quick reckoning of what she needed and headed to the first of the shops, steering away from the more expensive stores. An hour later she dropped the first two bags into Sarah's Boutique and went back to her retail therapy, some therapy this was.

Finally, cold and hungry, Tammy struggled back to the shop with three more bags. Over her shoulder was a new bag, holding phone, wallet and lipstick. In many of the shops she'd met Sarah's customers who recognised her immediately. Of course, the first thing they wanted to know was why Tammy wasn't at school on a Monday morning. Tammy gave a weak excuse of her school allowing home revision before mock exams.

Tammy had been back in the shop for a few minutes and was making a coffee to warm up. The doorbell went as someone walked in, Tammy paid little attention as Sarah was in the front of the shop and assumed it was a customer.

"Tammy, are you decent?"

"Yes, Sarah. Why?"

"There's a policeman to see you. I'll put the closed sign up and bring him through."

Tammy wanted to run but had nowhere to run to.

"Tammy, I'm PC St James. Do you mind if I ask you some questions?"

"Erm, not at all, constable. Would you like a coffee?"

"Yes please."

The three of them sat on chairs that Sarah had arranged. The constable took a few sips of the coffee before he spoke.

"Tammy, I overheard what you said to a few of the ladies in town and I had a chat with them after you moved on. They told me you normally only worked here on a Saturday and that you were Mrs Bonney's niece. Also, you seem to have spent several hundred pounds in town, that is a lot for a sixteen year old girl."

"Constable, before we go any further, is Tammy being accused of any offence?"

"Not at the moment Mrs Bonney, it's that I'm also the truancy officer and I need to follow up any under school age children seen in town."

"Sarah, I can't lie to the officer. Constable, what I am going to say may sound strange but unless you intend to prosecute me I'd prefer if what I am going to tell you remains confidential."

"You know I can't guarantee that, Miss."

"Okay, officer my real name is Tom Smart. I am eighteen years old, male and a student at St Andrews."

"If you're trying to wind me up, I suggest you start telling me exactly what's going on, Miss."

"Constable, this genuinely is Tom Smart. Tom, can you get your wallet?"

Tammy went to her new bag and pulled out Tom's wallet. She removed his school ID, bank cards, and an ID card for his father's company.

"There's a similarity, but don't tell me you're him."

"Sarah, I have an idea to sort this out, can you ring the school and ask them to contact me? Better still, constable, you call them and ask them to call my mobile to check I'm OK. You don't have to give a reason, I'll deal with any questions from the school."

The Constable rang the school and spoke to the school secretary. She confirmed Tom was a sixth former and agreed to call Tom. Before the Constable had put the phone back down, Tom's mobile was ringing.

"Hello, Tom Smart."

"Hello Tom, it's the school. Are you okay?"

Tom recognised the voice, "yes Mrs Adams. I'm fine. Is there a problem?"

"I'm not sure, a police officer was after you."

"If they call again, can you ask them to contact me direct, it's okay to give my number to the police."

"I will. Goodbye Tom."

"Bye."

Tom put his phone back in his pocket and looked at the officer. "Are you now satisfied that I am Tom Smart?"

"Yes, and since St Andrews is closed this is not a matter for a truancy officer anyway. However, are you going to give me a good explanation for why you are sat there looking like a sixteen year old girl and why you've been fooling everyone in town?"

Between Tammy and Sarah's high-speed explanations the officer found out about Tom's alter-ego, his business course, the theatre and that his mother approved of him staying with Sarah Bonney.

"Well, this qualifies as one of the strangest tales I've been told but, no, you are not committing any offence. I won't be submitting a report, but please don't get carried away and start trying to get any fake ID made up, that would be illegal. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Constable."

He got up to leave and Sarah led him to the door, locking it behind him. She came back and sat with Tammy.

"Tammy, I should have thought of this, maybe it would be best if you flew to Switzerland?"

"Sarah, we should never have told everyone I was sixteen, then this would never have happened."

"Tammy, we can't be certain of that. Look, if you want to go then I'll drive you to Inverness this afternoon."

"Sarah, I'm happy being Tammy, being me. If I don't get to be Tammy now, then I might never have the chance. I know I have to go back to school as Tom and I have to go home at Christmas."

"Tammy, alright, but be careful. What am I saying? I'm the one who encouraged you. I'm the one who needs to be more careful as well, in case I put you in more trouble."

Tammy was about to answer when there was a knock on the window. Jill Davison was stood there so Sarah let her in and flipped the sign over.

"Sarah, is Tammy alright? A constable was asking questions in the shops and I've just seen him heading from this way."

"She's right here Jill, come through." Sarah led Jill through the shop, Tammy had disappeared into the toilet and wasn't expecting to see Jill when she came out, straightening her skirt.

"Hello Tammy."

Oh, hello Miss Davison"

"Tammy, it's Jill. Please don't be so formal. Are you alright? I saw that police officer leave the shop."

"Yes, thankfully he didn't want to take me away, at least not now."

"I hope you're not in any trouble. I don't want to have to look for another Anita."

"No, I'm still available for the play. Is there rehearsal this Wednesday?"

"Yes, although I'm not sure how many of the boys will be there. You know about St Andrews, don't you."

"Yes."

"Sarah, what about your junior wardrobe mistress?" She giggled at her own pun. "Tom was his name, wasn't it?"

"Jill, take a seat, this is Tom."

Jill shook her head. For the second time in one hour, Tammy was explaining her double life, this time to the lady who'd wanted Tammy for a starring part in her local production of West Side Story.

Jill sat there, listening quietly, Sarah put the kettle on again and quickly made Jill a cup of tea, apparently she didn't drink coffee. Tammy crossed her legs, smoothed her skirt and, mostly in jest, said to anyone listening, "would anyone else like to hear my story, roll up, roll up, to Thurso's latest freak show."

"Sarah, thanks for the tea but I think I need a real drink, it looks like Tammy does too after her stressful day. Unfortunately she doesn't look eighteen so that could be a problem."

"Jill, do you know the little hotel round the corner? They're very discrete and wouldn't have a problem with us. I'll close the shop up, we can leave the cars in town and get a cab home."

The three left a few minutes later and walked to the hotel. Being out of season the place was quiet. In the bar, Sarah was welcomed by Frances, a small man who could have been anywhere between thirty and fifty.

"Miss Sarah, ladies, welcome. I have a corner just for you."

They were led to the far end of the room where they they sat.

"Sarah, this is lovely. Are you sure there won't be a problem?" Jill looked quickly at Tammy.

"Jill, leave this with me. I don't know about you, but I'm hungry and could do with a sandwich."

They agreed to order sandwiches and called Frances over.

"Frances dear, a bottle of a good white Bordeaux, three glasses and a selection of your sandwiches, chef's choice. Could we have some chilled water as well please."

"Certainly."

He left and returned a minute later with the wine, opening it at the table and pouring three glasses. He was back a few minutes later with a jug of iced water and three water glasses.

While they waited for the sandwiches, Tammy was interrogated again by Jill, who was still uncertain if Tammy would keep the role. Thankfully, the wine was easing the conversation and they were finishing their first glasses as the sandwiches arrived. Conversation was brief for the next fifteen minutes whilst they ate, Frances brought some lemon finger wipes for the three girls before clearing away the plates.

Sarah excused herself to go to the ladies room, Jill took that opportunity to ask Tammy some direct questions.

"Tammy, has Sarah forced you in any way?"

"Not really, mostly she's been more than helpful, it's just that this weekend has been madness. I love my hair but I wasn't asked first, I'm also worried that too many people have been told that I'm her niece, and that I'm only sixteen. However, I do love the idea of being on the stage as Anita but again I wasn't asked."

"That may have been my fault, I knew you'd be our Anita after seeing you a week ago in the shop. I told Sarah and you know the rest."

"So, do you still want me?"

"Tammy, yes I do. Regardless of your dual-identity, you are still the best Anita I've seen. You also passed the audition heads and shoulders above the others, but I won't pressure you to stay if you don't want to."

Sarah rejoined them and asked, "so, Jill, where does that leave us?"

Jill picked up her glass and sipped, the other two did the same. "Tammy, I think it's best for you to remain as Tammy, if that's what you want, but you should limit your appearances in town. In the meantime, learn Anita's part. Do you have a copy of the music and script?"

"Yes to the music, it's on my laptop and it'll be on Youtube, but no to the script."

"I'll email you the script. I want you to come to the theatre on Wednesday and Friday evenings at 7 and then come to see me on Thursday morning at ten.

"Where?"

"Sorry, around here everyone knows everyone else so I usually don't have to say. I'm a consultant at Dunbar Hospital, ask for Dr Davison's clinic."

Tammy sat there wondering where this was going. As Sarah had returned from the toilet, Jill took her turn. It seemed clear that neither was going to leave Tammy alone at this time.

"Tammy, did Jill explain what her job was?"

"Only that she's a consultant at The Dunbar."

"Right, I'll tell you more when you get home." Sarah called Frances over and asked him to arrange a taxi and then asked for the bill. Tammy suddenly realised she needed the toilet and made her way, following the signs, almost taking the wrong door; this was her first time in the ladies loo anywhere.

Sarah had settled the bill and they were waiting for Tammy when she re-appeared just as the taxi was just pulling up outside. Some fiften minutes later they arrived back at Sarah's house, having stopped at the shop to retrieve Tammy's shopping.

They sat there giggling as they looked at Tammy's purchases. Some of the clothes simply didn't suit, or fit, Tammy. Unfortunately, she'd been too scared to use the changing rooms. They hadn't gone food shopping, as had been Sarah's original plan, so they ordered a take-away curry, not finishing every container so some went into the fridge.

Sarah sent Tammy to the shower before it got late and made certain that Tammy's hair was dry before she went up to bed. Both forgot about Tammy's appointment with Jill, and Tammy was none the wiser.

up
457 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Shiraz,

What a joy,Tammy's back to tell her wonderful story,I feel that I am part of it, you are such a gifted writer. Shiraz,we have missed you and your stories.

ALISON

Thank you

for bringing this forward again, love reading this so much

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Hmmmmmmmmm......

D. Eden's picture

One has to wonder just what kind of doctor Jill is.......

Very, suspicious that she wants to see Tammy in her office!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Ahh, I foresee blood tests

Ahh, I foresee blood tests and lots of interviews followed by hormones coming in Tammy's life.

What's next?

It always seems so strange to me that English public schools have such unusual characters.

I'm still a little bit confused by "Tamara" when Tammy is such a universally accepted female name.

BUT.....I love the storyline and the potential for fun that the story may hold.

Maybe

things are looking up for Tammy?

Stroke of luck?

Jamie Lee's picture

Food poisoning closing the school was a stroke of luck. Or was it? His mom told the school he'd be with her, the police officer knows he's in town, will anyone else suss his true identity and location?

They are digging a hole which may be hard to get out of should something requiring Tom make an appearance occur. If Tom were needed for something, he'd be expected to fly back from his moms' current resident. How would he explain not showing up at the airport on the expected flight should someone volunteer to pick him up? This is just one example of the unexpected happening.

Or, his parents showing up for a performance. Unannounced. Expecting to see Tom perform, but not seeing him because Tammy has the role.

Others have feelings too.