The Platinum Chef : A Tale of Delacroix Part XX

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 68

“Roxx? What do you wanna do when you grow up?” Mary asked thickly. “Y’know, when school’s over?”

“Eh?” Roxx asked Mary, suddenly irritated by that question. Robb had asked her that once. More than once in fact. What bothered her was that she never seemed to have an answer. He was always going on and on about having a better life. Paying rent and bills were no fun. To the then Melanie, and now The One Who Is Roxx that the simplest, easiest way to accomplish that was always the best.

But now here it was again, rearing its ugly head like the beautiful swan amidst the ducklings.

“I mean. I always thought that being an architect would be cool. Paid to draw all day, figure things out. Secretary to bring you your lunch. I dunno.” She giggled. “Seems silly, but I’m not as beautiful as you are.”

Roxx smiled. What would she do? Now that Bobbie was in the same boat, she had achieved her original intent. She looked at Mary, reflected on Kim.

The one other girl that now shared their fate. Mary was another picture of innocence. Sure, she had to cast a wide net to get what she wanted.

But what to do with the beautiful dolphins caught among the tuna?

            If Wile E. Coyote ever caught that fucking roadrunner, what would he do?

            Roxx started to think about it. She was going to have to do something. Drugs and sexual favors could get you a lot for today.

            But not much for tomorrow. Which didn’t used to be a problem, but…

            She looked at Mary. What kind of life could I reasonably expect now?  Roxx thought. She did what she had set out to do. Lust had nothing more to offer her. It should have been more satisfying than a refreshing drink from an ancient mountain spring.

            But it had all the zest and joy of flat soda.

            Roxx didn’t feel bad, they all had it coming. But, now she had to take care of herself. She remembered how hard that had been before Robb. She started to think about ways to keep herself alive. She was starting to run low on markers and favors. She’d need to find a new pool of resources to exploit.

            What do you wanna be when you grow up?

            Roxx didn’t know. She now realized that Melanie hadn’t either.

             ***

            Bobbie had scrawled a quick note for Tim, she got dressed and out of there before she would have to explain to anyone why ‘Faye Valentine’ was sneaking out of Bobbie Sharpe’s boyfriend’s bedroom at four o’clock in the morning.

            It was a longish walk back to the house. She wished she could help Tim with the Grand Opening, they needed to maintain that illusion just a little bit longer.

            Bobbie felt good, uplifted for the first time in days. Looking at the past couple of weeks, she had gone from kicked while down to raging bitch. She had ruined so many lives. But, none of that mattered now. Not as long as Tim was there to catch her. Going home took less time than she thought it should. She unlocked the doorway and ninjaed in the night towards the bedroom. Being especially careful that Faye didn’t hear her.

             ***

It was early when Tim’s alarm went off, the horrible music from the non English station forced him to get up and cross the room to turn off the offending alarm. When he realized that Bobbie wasn’t there anymore, he deflated slightly. The note folded on the bed next to him sat there. He snatched it up.

            Tim,

            I snuck out because I want today to go smoothly. Don’t let Faye know that you know. Today’s too important to you, Beth, and the Bakery. I couldn’t stand it if I screwed that up too. I’ll be there tonight.

            Didn’t think I would miss this, did you?

            Love,

            Bobbie

            He smiled and got up and moving. Thoughts of a bagel sandwich flitted through his hungry brain, and thought about how important showering would be first. He entered the kitchen and spooned some of Gilda’s coffee that he had set aside for ‘testing purposes’ into the coffee filter and started the machine before going to perform the hygienic duty that would begin his day in earnest.

             ***

            Bella and Amber were at Heather’s early, along with Kim. Faye had agreed to meet them all there in the morning. She knew that this was going to be one of those days. A day where breathing would me something no one had time for.

            Beth got out of the car and waved goodbye to her dad. She was excited about how today would go. There were so many things to do, her energy was boundless as she thought about all those people who would be at the bakery tonight.

            She just couldn’t wait.

             ***

             Faye got to the bakery early. There were cupcakes to frost, loaves of banana bread to bake, and who knew all what else.  They had worked so hard on everything, there was no way tonight wouldn’t be a success. She entered the bakery to see the friends she had come to know over the last couple weeks. Faye smiled.  Tim smiled back and directed her to start frosting while he started counting tables and inventory.

             ***

            Bobbie woke up late. So late, in fact, that it was lunchtime for Delacroix High.

            Shit.

            But even that bad news couldn’t bring her down. She’d gotten to be with Tim again. Just like Mickey and Mallory. She was aware of a mild pain in her cheeks, she knew it was from smiling. Those muscles hadn’t gotten too much of a workout lately. It’s just nice to smile again, smile because I want to.

            Bobbie couldn’t shake the thought of being held by Tim. She was lost in the reverie for so long that the full pot of coffee she had brewed finished while she was standing there. He loves me and I love him. Bobbie thought. Robb had been right, back when she buried him in the dream. Giving up what little of him that had been left had put Bobbie on the road to being happy.

            Bobbie sipped at her coffee and thought about what she would wear that night. Really should have done laundry.

            She saw the box that Heather had dropped off. If I know Heather…

            Bobbie allowed herself to be dazzled by an armada of green sequins as she opened the box.

            It was a dress. Oh, Heather. It’s beautiful.

At the box’s bottom were some elbow length gloves in a shimmery gold. She knew that they were meant to compliment the dress. Damn, Heather. The time she spent on getting ready this afternoon was about to dwarf her preparations for the Winter Ball. Getting the dress on was simple, zipping it up, no so much. You could always tell a Heather Sweet original by not being able to reach the zipper, Bobbie mused.

The next few hours saw Bobbie going through the most elaborate costuming she had ever put herself through. She hoped that Tim would appreciate it.

            No, she knew he would.

             ***

            Roxx was out walking. It was something Robb had done when he needed to think. She had never tried it, and figured that once wouldn’t hurt. The revenge she wanted wasn’t as sweet as it should have been… Diet revenge? Even successfully ‘recruiting’ Kim did nothing for her. She could keep dealing, there was a product that sold itself.

            Oh, God. This is it, isn’t it? That moment that you grow up? What the fuck did I do? Roxx stopped on the street. She looked around, saw some random people and thought about what they did. What is it that people do?  She couldn’t just go on getting new thralls for Lust forever.

            As she continued walking, the quickly eclipsing sun went unnoticed. She didn’t notice the stench in the air, nor the cracks appearing in the concrete. It wasn’t until she almost ran into…

            Bobbie… No, Faye.

            “You’re doing so well. Why the long face, Seabiscuit?” Lust said from behind white hair and black eyes. Roxx looked up, ready to attack. One look into those eyes allowed her to ascertain the speaker’s identity.

            She stopped. Lust.

            “I did it. I got them all.” Roxx said, dazed.

            Lust smiled. “You did. Now you can really go to work. You’ve had enough time.”

            Roxx looked puzzled. Lust fell into position next to her, they made a right turn.

            “What? Didn’t think you were just gonna run off did you? Now that the Advocate is out of the way, I’m looking forward to getting lots of energy from you.” Roxx knew how this worked, but she thought it would be over by now. She got Bobbie, with Kim as a bonus. Surely they would be enough. As if reading her mind, Lust bore down on her with those terrible eyes. “It’s never enough. Surely you of all people would understand that.” They made another turn.

            Roxx looked at her with an expression that crinkled the corners of her eyes.

            “Your job is to feed me.” Her grin turned more terrible than her eyes. They turned again, this time to the right.

            “And I’m always hungry.” The eyes and smile softened with frightening speed. Lust patted Roxx on the head.

She took on a Shakespearian air, “My gift is to cause passions to bloom. I need that passion, go and find it.” The eyes became hard again. “You got what you wanted, now is my turn. The Gift is meant to be shared with others.”

“But mostly with me. Awww, buyer’s remorse? Don’t worry, with me the party never ends. But, have trust in this… You don’t want to be on my bad side. I don’t like party poopers too much. Kudos on Bobbie, by the way. Advocates are rare catches, nice trap. Pity they don’t come around so often anymore.”

“Well? Feed me, Seymour.” Lust said chillingly, with promises and overtones that she would do indeed what she was told.  The doppelganger of Bobbie stepped back and faded into nothingness. The sun slowly returned and the cracks in the concrete retreated to their invisible origins. The movie reference ground it in, she could never get rid of Robb completely.

The sun was starting its long descent behind the horizon, the clouds giving birth to dazzling prisms and defractions, all of which were lost on Roxx was as she continued to wander. The loud music sang its presence at her, rather than to her. Roxx had been walking without paying attention to where she was going. The encounter had left her uneasy, wondering for the first time exactly what it was she had gotten herself into. She looked up at the glow that had not yet become glaring in the last gasps of the evening’s dying light. Familiarity enveloped her as she crossed through a part of Delacroix she’d been to many times before. Usually to feed a vice different from the one she was now confronted with.

Vesuvius.

The local ‘Gentlemen’s Club’ promised a veritable rainbow of delights of the flesh, each one that could be legally displayed screaming in garish neon. Robb would have said that one would never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

 Many had owned the club over the years. Ownership usually changed hands when the current owner died or needed legal fees. Some Russians owned it now, which explained the dance music that sounded distinctly Euro. She’d known about the club forever. Robb once joked that she could have danced there. While it was sweet of him to say, she had never believed it.

Although I was Melanie then… Now I’m Roxx. Maybe Lust was right…

This could work.

At least it’s something.

Roxx straightened her face and sauntered in. They wouldn’t say no to her. She knew they wouldn’t

Nobody else had.

***

Beth was wrapping loaves of banana bread in pastel colored plastic wraps, while Faye was already working on the muffins. The cake slices sat prettily in their clear clamshell cases, while the walk in sat stacked with enough treats to induce diabetes on a small army.

“So, Bobbie.” Beth began. “I managed to get the little people figured out. I think I’m gonna get them done ahead of schedule.”

Faye smiled. She’s such a trooper. With the other girls checking sound equipment and assembling the stage, the Cheepskates crew had their work cut out for them. Tim was outside assembling the tables and fixtures that would showcase their wares. It was gonna be awesome. Faye beamed with pride. She had done all this, all the work, the planning.

Faye couldn’t remember a project this elaborate that came together so well. It usually evaporated into a million dark pieces before it was able to sustain itself. But here she was, helping to run a successful business was very rewarding and fulfilling. So different from the world of leers and pervs that constituted those that surrounded her modeling career.

 

 ***

Kim was plucking at the bass, trying really hard to not be distracted. She was getting to play in front of people again. That was the most important thing. She focused harder as sitting became uncomfortable. She had to get up, it started with pacing while playing. Moving up to the occasional kneel and the leg splitting jump. Kim’s focus on the fretboard became even more intense. Convinced that Kim, the bass guitar was tuned, she stopped to see the others standing around her, jaws agape.

“What the fuck was that, Fuckin’ Flea and shit. When did you start being all fuckin’ animated?” Amber said.

Bella looked at Amber with incredulity.

“Hey, you’re not the only one that can cuss.” Amber said.

Heather laughed hard. “The look…” She pointed at Bella. “that was beautiful.”

“Kim.” Heather continued. “You sure you’re up to this? I’ve got the keytar.”

“Look, there is no way I’m letting you guys play half that setlist without me.” She pushed down in a hard strum that hit all the strings.

“Ready to rock. Everybody’s mics work?”

“Fuck!” Bella.

“WAR!” Kim.

“Laaaaa.” Heather.

“Check check.” Amber.

“Okay. Looks like it.” Heather had everything set up, and it looked like some of the early birds were already here, hoping for a wormlike pastry.

Heather looked at the other girls. Kim, who captured her heart a long time ago. Bella, the potty mouthed percussionist with the hidden intellect, and Amber, the hopeless romantic.

She knew that this was one of those times she would remember with great fondness later.

“C’mon. Let’s give ‘em a show. Grrl Army… DEPLOY!”

 ***

Tim had the microphone in his hand and looked out at the crowd that had gathered.

“Wow. Thank you, Delacroix!” He raised his hands, a cheer went up.

“I’m Tim Flaherty, as some of you already know. I run this little shop here called Cheepskates.”

Another cheer went up.

“This is our grand opening. We’ve been here for a bit, but thought you deserved to see us a little bit differently. We’ve got great music, great coffee thanks to Gilda over at Daily Grind; Thanks Gilda.” Tim pointed out to the crowd’s general area.  “Samples, plenty to sell. Fans of the banana bread? Get it tonight, I think we used all the bananas. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and Instagram, and without further ado…Grrl Army!”

The girls took the stage. Heather in her tight black pants with the familiar crimson lace, Her hair sprayed up to give a Mohawk like effect, the black lines that radiated out from her eyes giving her a look that screamed glam.

“Hello, Delacroix!” Heather yelled into the mic. “I see we have some families out there tonight. Lemme hear just the kids.”

A few dozen children yelled as loudly as they could. Heather smiled at them. “Come on down front, bring your people.”

The children with some adults clutched in their tiny hands slalomed their way through the mass of people.

“Got a song for you guys first. I need your help with it, can you help me?”

The kids cheered again, louder now due to their proximity.

Kim started with the deep baseline, and Amber gingerly plucked the strings of her guitar.

 To Bombay a travelling circus came,
they brought an intelligent elephant and Nellie was her name.
One dark night she slipped her iron chain
And off she ran to Hindustan
And was never seen again .

“Sing with me now, kids. Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo.”

The children obliged for what seemed a very long time, then Amber’s guitar crashed, Bella’s drums thundered, Kim’s bass hummed.

And Heather, performing for the first time in an outfit that allowed for more athletic expression smiled the smile of a maniac as she jumped with a twist, landing in a crouch at the edge of the medium sized stage near the conglomeration of children.

Nellie the elephant pack her trunk and said goodbye to the circus
Off she went with a trumpety trump trump trump trump
Now Nellie the elephant packed her trunk and trundled off to the jungle
Off she went with a trumpety trump trump trump trump

The little ones laughed and jumped while Heather sang into the microphone, enjoying the moment, that incredible high that performing for others gives. Never before had she felt it as acutely as she did now. Seeing the children enjoy the story of Nellie the Elephant.

While trumping around the stage, she looked at the other girls in turn, freezing that second in her memory forever. The joy on their faces, the music uniting them all in a place of absolute zen…

 ***

Beth looked at Bobbie. “Look at her, they love her.” She was handing out slices and loaves of bread and looking for the caramel apple muffins.

“Hmmm?” Faye said, counting change back.

“The kids, look.” Beth pointed with her chin. “Jumping and laughing. I didn’t even know they knew kids songs.”

Faye laughed. “Me neither.”

“I think we need to eighty six the carmapples.”

“Already?” Faye said shocked. “Okay, I’ll tell Tim. I need some change anyway.”

Faye turned to the next customer. “Be right back. Beth, can you help these people?” Faye ducked into the building with a fistful of twenties.

“Hey.”

“Hmmm?” Tim said, obviously a million parsecs away. “Oh, hey.”

Faye fell on Tim, arms above his shoulders.

“This is going great. “ She bent in to kiss him. “Out of the Carmapples.”

He accepted, but neither his heart or his tongue was into it.

Poor guy; all this stress, gonna have to help him relax again. She absently thought that the beach might be the answer.

            She got the change from the drawer while Tim returned to his spot on the stool. The cupcakes would have to go out soon. Two more songs.

            Kissing ‘Bobbie’ was almost marinated with guilt, now that he knew the truth. Don’t tell her, I must be stupid.

            Yeah, stupid in love. A surprisingly similar voice to his ten year old self.

            “Yeah.” He said looking at the blond girl outside laughing with Beth. The girl that wasn’t  Bobbie.

            “Stupid is right.”

             ***

            Beth was enjoying herself, everyone was so excited. The inventory was disappearing at a staggering rate. She’d already had to refill the air pots full of Gilda’s coffee twice. She looked out at the smiles of the children and the adults listening to the band. She thought of how many things had changed since school had started. She turned to look at Bobbie, smiling. You helped me find my place. Beth was so happy that Bobbie was her friend. So many good things had happened, it was like life had given her all the bad things up front.     

            But now, thanks to her… friends, I have good friends. Beth was just about as happy as she could be.

            “Thanks, come back and see us again.”

            “Oh, I will. I didn’t believe that the banana bread was that good.”

            “Next customer here,  please.” Beth raised her hand to wave them over.

             ***

            The band had played a spirited cover of John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt before launching into  the Scooby Doo theme. Heather looked at the little ones at the front of the stage. They were all having such fun, dancing and jumping.

            When Scooby ended, Heather looked at the crowd with sweat stinging her eyes.

            “Well, alright. Looks like some people had fun so far. We’re gonna take a little break while the cupcakes come out.” Heather came closer to the edge of the stage. Putting out her hand, she spoke into the microphone one more time.

            “Since you kids were so great, can I get a high five on the way out?” Each one of the children slapped at her hand. It filled Heather with happiness, all those happy children. She heard them trailing away. No words came through, save for the occasional ‘trump trump trump’.

             ***

            Tim was moving like a cyclone as he set up the displays for the cupcakes. He only had ten minutes. The setup wasn’t complicated, and he was able to work fast. Casting a glance around, he looked for Bobbie. His heart sank when he didn’t find her. He looked back at the blond girl controlling her body.

            The ‘Bobbie’ that he’d been with these last couple of weeks was almost indistinguishable from the Bobbie he knew. Some things made sense now, the driving, the dubstep, the slightly off movie references. Explains the Ishtar, he thought.

Beth hadn’t noticed, not one bit. Just two friends talking.

            Finishing up the displays, Tim silently hoped that ‘Faye’ would be there soon.

             ***

            Bobbie was on her way to the bakery. The green dress clung tightly to her body, the gloves hugging her forearms. She could hear the band playing.  She must have been only a couple of blocks away. She couldn’t wait to see Tim.

            And Kim. What has gotten into her? She’s taking this thrall thing a little too seriously. Given the experiences Bobbie had gained while gallivanting around. The worry and excitement mixed with the slight chill she felt on her legs where the dress’s thigh high slit opened her lower half to the elements.

             ***

            Kim’s feet hadn’t touched the ground in something like five minutes. She was ‘in the groove’ so to speak, her playing driving the band with Bella’s percussion punctuating every heartbeat

“Okay, looks like we’re all adults here?” Heather said, the crowd cheering.

            “Hey hey hey.” Kim said, causing Heather to turn.

            “We may all be adults here, but what about the ones who refuse to grow up.” Kim plucked at the bass.

Heather smiled and looked at the band. “Well, you heard her.”

            Bella’s drums started keeping rhythm as Amber sent a chord through the speakers. A small salvo of cheers and recognition was issued forth.

            Heather’s voice deepened some as she grabbed the mic stand and looked down into it.

When I'm lyin' in my bed at nighnt
I don't wanna grow up
Nothing ever seems to turn out right
I don't wanna grow up…

Some of the crowd started singing along, their teenaged sons and daughter staring slack jawed at them, trying for just a second to imagine what they were like at their ages.  Kim could feel their energy radiating from them as surely as a freshly detonated nuclear bomb. The kaleidoscope of colors coming from them seemed to feed her. Kim started moving around the stage like someone possessed, giving the crowd some enthusiasm back. Her playing was precise and focused with a newfound sense of rhythm.

Kim imagined what an antenna must feel like, receiving invisible and ethereal signals. She looked at Amber, who looked happier than she’d looked in a while. She felt a stab of hurt, knowing that she had taken the music from them.

Never again.

Bella’s on point tonight, too. She smiled, feeling the accomplishment of hitting the E string in such rapid succession after the G. To her ear it sounded almost like a single note, her busy mind unconsciously keeping the creeping craving at bay. Heather looked at her for a second, hearing the sudden uptick in tempo. Their eyes held a nanoconversation.

You okay, girl?

Never better. It was Kim; hanging in the void, cleaved and separate from the rest of the world.

She realized how much she, too, had missed the music and the camaraderie she had always felt being part of the Army. It really doesn’t get much better than this, does it?

 Heather smiled at her in a way that Kim knew that it was for her alone.

The night was hers.

She owned it.

A breeze moved across her smile as her fingers did the work.

 ***

Kurt stayed behind after his mom took his little brother home. He was looking forward to smoking the joint he had in his pocket on the way home. He was also looking forward to the bag of cookies he had bought. While little Brian rocked out to Nellie the Elephant, Kurt noticed the redhead playing the guitar. Kurt though she was attractive, but it was her playing that made him take notice. His dealing activities managed to get him a guitar and amp, he played a lot in the long stretches between customers. He was okay, but nowhere as good as the bespectacled redhead on stage.

Who is she?

 ***

Tim sat on the stool and stared out the window, staring at what they all had created. He was reminded of that date with…Faye. Turnout was just as big here as it was at the Revival. He laughed at himself, all that effort and work… just to impress the wrong girl.

Only after apologizing to the wrong girl to get the right answer.

Thanks?

Beth blurred in and out again to replenish the cupcake stocks. Tim looked around and saw stacks of empty trays. There was not a whole lot of product left. He wished Bobbie could be here to enjoy this.

The real Bobbie. Tim had to admit to himself that Faye had done the same amount of work for this. Looking out the window, he saw Beth and Faye handling the line.

She deserves this, too.

 ***

Sweat was keeping Bella’s hair down as she brought the sticks down in the pattern she had memorized long ago. Alternating one beat of snare with two beats of the tom while stomping the bass pedal. Her left hand crashed the splash cymbal simultaneously with the snare.

She could hear Kim walking her fingers up and down the fretboard. Heather bent herself in half to begin singing. Time to go…

Leftrightleftrightleftrightleftrightleftrightleftright

Well we don't need no one to tell us what to do
Oh yes we're on our own
And there’s nothing you can do
So we don't need no one like you
To tell us what to do

Bella couldn’t fuckin’ remember the last time her fuckin’ ass touched the stool. Like Keith Moon. Of all the gigs they had played over the last two years, this was the one. It just felt right. Everyone was having a great time. It was moments like this she would miss while studying at Brown.

But it didn’t matter now, this now... It stretched out plasticly into an ocean of now.

A beautiful, constant now.

 ***

Kurt was listening to the music with incredulity. Brave song choice. Didn’t think too many people would get it, but even the most unlikely people were feeling the vibe.

But the redhead… That’s it, Amber. He’d seen her around school, but didn’t know she could play like that. He thought again about the joint in his pocket.

What else didn’t he know? The rapid tapping of her hands along the neck of her guitar would have looked more at home racking up kills in Call of Combat. Her hand slid up and down the neck expertly and with surgical accuracy.

Damn. That joint in his pocket was suddenly less important.

 ***

Bobbie had finally reached the crowd. It did her heart good to see Grrl Army playing again, especially with Kim joining them.

‘Cuz I’m a brat
And I know everything
And I talk back, ‘cuz I’m not listening
To anything you say…
And if you count to three.

“One, two three!” Grrl Army rang out as a single voice. Kim was attempting something between a rock concert and the modern Olympiad. Her motions nearly recursive, Bobbie wouldn’t have been surprised if she suddenly started shooting webs from her wrists.

Faye was clearing trays that had been emptied and starting to pack up the display tables, while Beth looked to be collecting enough money to send herself to college. Been a hell of a year, hasn’t it?

Where were you a year ago? She could hear Heather ask her on that chilly day just a few short months ago.

Drunk, high. Planning a robbery, you know, the usual. Bobbie realized how far she had come since Robb. How none of the sitting around amassing useless information had done anything. Old plans bubbled to the surface.

How’s that novel you were going to write?

Fuck you, Stewie.

Realizing that there was no way that she would do anything but stand out in that dress, she moved off to the side and see the wide ranging effects of Bobbie on Delacroix, it might  have been blinding if the colors she saw came through with the same intensity as reality. It was almost the harsh glare of white light on white paper.

She moved through the periphery of the crowd. Bobbie’s eyes met Kim’s several times from many angles. People were talking and listening to the band kick out some great music.

Bobbie wanted to be a part of it again. The fireworks of the new year seemed so far back in her memory. She missed people. Sure, there had been plenty of humans around. But quality was seriously trumping quantity at the present.

You could keep the thousands.

I just want one.

Faye and Beth were closing down the tables, the stock depleted.  Bobbie found it interesting that the trash cans were full, and the litter on the ground was minimal. The stupid things you notice. She could see Tim, grabbing airpots and display pieces, returning them to their resting place inside.

There was a feeling in the air… like Christmas. Bobbie tried to open herself to it, as much as she could she strained her fingers outward, hoping to get just a little more of that signal.

 ***

Amber began strumming while rocking on her heels, pumping her body up and down lightly with her knees. Kim recognized it as an extended intro.

“Well, that’s it for us. We hope you enjoyed your evening, and the desserts. We are Grrl Army.”

Cheers were issued forth, masking the couple isolated ‘Show us your tits’ comments that they invariably got.

“We’ve been through a lot together here in town, and at school.”

Amber continued to play, adding a slight jump. Kim was enthusiastically bobbing her head while she stroked and fondled the fretboard of her bass lovingly, playing imaginary notes to keep rhythm with Ambers quick strumming.

“None of us really know who we are yet. That’s what we’re supposed to find out. But don’t worry, parents.” Heater said with a slight out of breath undertone to her voice.

“We were born for this. Let’s go”

Bella began smashing the snare drum with precision as Kim started playing notes in earnest.

Amber switched to the main hook for the song as Heather looked to the night sky and pointed the microphone downward at her face.

“Delacroix!”

Whoa no, I just keep on falling.

“Back to the same old.” Bella, Amber, and Kim joined in.

 ***

Faye had gotten everything broken down and put away. It would be good to just listen to the band for a second. Kim was so animated on stage that Faye marveled at what she could do, having just been in a hospital bed a few days before. Although, after everything Bobbie had told her, she was sure that there was some other reason for the sudden radiance.

Bobbie hasn’t shown up yet.

Maybe that’s a good thing.

Opening a bottle of Coke she sat back and let the perspiration evaporate in wisps of stinging cool contrasted with the flush of her elevated heart rate.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Amber Rourke!!” Amber was at the front of the stage, one foot on one of the low woofers, strumming away. Allowing the wall of sound and heat to smash her in the face.

Right now you’re the only reason…

            “I’m not letting go, oh!” The rest of the band joined their voices to Heather’s.

Enjoying the sting of drink on her tongue and the music in her ear, she reflected on how right Beth had been. It was a really cool evening. There was a party like atmosphere that was infectious. Even from this minor distance, she felt like she had been a part of something.

“Y’know Beth.” Faye said looking up at the girl as she walked up.

“Hmmm?” Beth said, opening her own bottle of root beer.

“This night was something, huh?” Faye offered her bottle, Beth clinked it sharply. They both drank.

“It sure was. The kids were happy. I saw one guy buying one for a girl. Later, they were holding hands. I know magic isn’t real, but if this is what it really means.”

“It’s just as good a word as any.” Beth smiled. She beamed, showing confidence and pride.

Faye, having seen real magic had to agree with Beth.

 ***

Bobbie was almost close enough to the stage that she would no longer be able to hide.

“We were born for WHAT?!” Heather bellowed, pointing the mic out to the crowd.

“We were born for this.” The audience chanted back.

Bella launched into a drum solo that utilized every drum and device added to her kit.

More cowbell. Bobbie thought as Bella struck the instrument in question several times before launching into a drum roll that went all the way up and down the scales that the young percussionist had available to her.

“Everybody sing. Like…” Heather pointed the mic to the crowd again.

It’s the last song you will ever sing
            Tell me tell me can you feel the pressure now?

The crowd roared back.

Bobbie saw her chance and darted around the back of the stage and over the cables connecting the speakers to the mixer. She slid through the door in a waspy flash.

“Ma’am, we…” Tim started, transfixed by the dress and the magnificent body beneath.

When the green streak caught his attention, recognition dawned.

“Bo…” Tim quickly switched to a whisper.

“Bobbie. You came.” He moved in to grab her.

“With you, always.” She performed the docking maneuver and felt his excited embrace.

“Everything has been awesome. Bobbie… Faye… dammit.”

Bobbie chuckled.

“The band… I couldn’t have asked for more. We’re a hit.  It’s all because of you…”

“Don’t be silly. She had just as much to do with this as I did.”

“Look, Tim. Is there somewhere I can hide while everyone gets out of here? I don’t wanna cause any shit tonight.”

“Well, my mom is upstairs, and… that’s right.”

“What?”

“Come on.”

He led her up the familiar stairs and opened the door.

Myka was hunched over the computer with a pencil above her ear.

“Mom.”

She turned to face them. “This is Faye. Think she can sit up here for a minute?”

Myka frowned. “What about Bobbie?”

“She’s… helping me with some stuff for Prom. Stuff I couldn’t tell her about. Like with Heather.” He stammered. “You know… a surprise.” Tim’s voice was getting shaky. Bobbie could see the yellow.

“Okay. Have a seat.” She turned to Tim. “You know your Facebook page has been really busy tonight.”

“I’ll have a look later, I need to wind this circus down and get some sleep.”

Tim ducked out of the apartment and was back downstairs.

“What are you helping him with?” Myka seemed to be studying this new girl.

“Helping him with the flowers and everything, Bobbie’s been staying with me since…”

“Oh, I know about that. I’m just glad Kim was okay.”

Bobbie was stunned. Here Myka was…. Talking. Faye, nice one.

“You wanna see?” Myka pointed to the monitor.

Bobbie got up smoothly and looked at the timeline. The computer sounded like a pinball machine trying to speak Bantu with all the dings and boops. Likes and shares were moving up very quickly.

Pictures and videos were appearing. Someone had gotten a good video of Heather jumping with the children. There were beautifully shot pictures of cupcakes and people enjoying coffee and banana bread. The couple feeding each other cookies. Bobbie wanted to cry. She had done it.

They had done it.

Together.

“And that’s not all, there’s a lot of order requests coming in. Looks like they’ll be busy.” Myka laughed.

Bobbie, still stunned by Myka’s return to the land of the living, said…

“I think they can handle it.”

“I think so, too.” Myka smiled at ‘Faye’. “Bobbie is something, isn’t she?”

 ***

“We were born for…”

THISSSSSSSSS!! Heather’s death scream washed over the crowd and provided many shocked faces.

“Thank you, Delacroix. It was a pleasure to play for you tonight. We’re glad you enjoyed yourselves.” Heather downed some water from a bottle and wiped some sweat from her forehead.

“Remember, We are Grrl Army, and this.’

“Is.”

“Cheepskates.”

The last round of applause given, the girls stared to strike their gear. Guitars were returned to cases, drumsticks sealed up.

The four girls stood on the stage.

“What do we do now?” Amber asked. She looked surprised that it was over.

Heather stood there with tears in her eyes. She hugged Bella, Amber and Kim joined.

“I’m gonna miss this.” Amber said.

“Fuckin’ right.” Bella sniffed. “But if this is our last show together.” The tears started as she flashed the devil horns with both hands.

“We fuckin’ rocked it.”

And then, the crying started.

“I fuckin’ love you guys.”

 ***

            Faye and Beth had finished cleaning up the small amounts of debris that were on the ground, and saw the members of Grrl Army engaged in a group hug.

“I’m gonna call daddy. You want a ride home? Tim needs some sleep.”

Faye nodded. “Alright.” She knew that Beth was right, besides, she’d see him tomorrow.

            What a night. She stood and went to find Tim.

             ***

            Tim was back in the bakery, counting money and entering the day’s totals.

            He didn’t believe it, but, according to the spreadsheet, they had cleared over eight hundred dollars for the evening. That’s almost as good as last month.

            When Faye came in, Tim glanced up at her.

            “How’d we do?” Tim looked at her face and saw Bobbie’s excitement, even though Faye was controlling her countenance.

            Gametime… don’t let it slip.

            Tim smiled. “Great. I can’t wait till tomorrow.”

            “Tomorrow?”

            He laughed. “Sleep, I’ll have some by then.”

            Faye’s turn to laugh was taken. “I’m gonna catch a ride with Beth, you get some rest.” She leaned in and kissed him.

            “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            After she left, Tim texted Bobbie and told her that the coast was clear.

            “Oh, my god. Bobbie. We made over eight hundred dollars today.”

            Bobbie’s face dropped. “And that’s not all” Bobbie continued. “There’s orders for cakes and the facebook page is blowing up. I like your mom.”

            Tim smiled. “It’s nice having her back. I have Faye to thank for that though, huh?”

            Bobbie moved in for a hug, which Tim obliged. His hands sliding around her waist like docking arms, pulling her closer. They held each other for what seemed like weeks.

            Ding!

            The door chime had gone off and there was Faye. “Left my…” She was looking right at Tim and Bobbie.

            “What?” Faye started, she felt her stomach in free fall.

            “Faye.” Tim started. Faye’s eyes got even bigger.

            “You told?” Faye nearly screamed. Bobbie’s face moved into defensive mode.

            “I…I… had to. I can’t take this anymore.” Bobbie blurted, letting go of Tim.

            Faye reached to her neck and pulled off the necklace. The delicate clasp snapping.

            “Fine. You should keep this, too.” Faye threw the piece of jewelry at them.

            “Faye, wait.” Tim started, but she was already gone.

            “Fuck.” He said under his breath.

            Bobbie smiled. “I can help you forget…”

            Tim continued looking out the door.

            Bobbie’s right here.

            So why do I feel terrible?

             ***

            Kurt was almost to that place in town where no one would notice him walking. That joint was seriously calling his name

“Amber, right?” Kurt said, finding the guitarist sitting on the sidewalk while looking out at the waning moon. There was a moment when Amber turned her head to look at him that he thought she was already smiling.

            “Yeah. That’s me.”

            “Great show.” You sound like a fucking idiot.

            “Thanks.”

            “You really nailed that solo… Prisoner of Society. I’m not that good.”

            “Gotta practice.” Amber said. What the hell? “I’m gonna head home, we could walk there.” Stupid, you’re still pumped from the show.

            So?

            Kurt broke into a wide grin, “Sure.” He pulled the joint from his pocket. “This could make the walk a little better.”

            Amber grimaced. She opened her mouth to speak.

            Girl like Bobbie can change you.

            ‘Gotta have to get me one’ he had said. He saw that the joint had struck a chord, a very sour one. He dropped it like the police were coming.

            “Or…or we could talk about music.” He ground the joint into the pavement. It’s just pot, can always get more…

            If I want it.

            “Hey,” He smiled again, the joint forgotten. “Only users lose drugs, right? Or is that the other way around? Cookie?” He held out the bad containing the triple chocolate cookies he got from Bobbie. Amber laughed, and they walked off together. She accepted the cookie and took an appreciative nibble.

            Maybe he’s not in Zimbabwe. Amber thought fleetingly.

 ***    

Faye managed to keep her cool on the ride home. Sitting in the back seat, was able to feign being a little tired. Beth was bubbling over with excitement. When they pulled up to the house, Roy offered his fist. Faye performed the fist bump and forced herself to smile as said goodbye to Beth.

She went to the door, turned to close it behind her.

And cried softly, the tears welling up and drizzling like sparse rain.

“Everything okay, Bobbie?” Nick’s voice issued forth through the air.

Her heart froze and her breath caught in her throat.

“Fine.” Faye lied. “Just gonna go to bed.”

“Oh,” He said, coming into the kitchen. “Thanks for making me come home the other day.”

Faye turned and smiled. She felt overwhelmed by everything, Faye hugged Nick.

“Whoa. What’s this for.” Nick gave her back a light pat.

“Everything, just everything. Thanks for coming home. Faye needs you.” I really do.

“Hrmm.” Nick said.

“Not that way. She does, though. You’re the most important person in the world to her.”

Bobbie grinned lopsidedly.

“That isn’t Faye.” She finished. Nick smiled

“I’m going to bed. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Sure.” Nick said, also heading to bed.

Faye got to the room and let the emotion go.

Why are you crying? He wasn’t yours to begin with.

I know. That’s what makes it worse.

Faye grabbed GIR and found it just as poor a surrogate as Bobbie had.

Chapter 69

Bobbie sat on a gurney, she swept a lock of green hair out of her eyes as she looked at Lust, who was perched atop an old wooden cabinet, it’s purple paint cracked and peeling. She didn’t look like her twin this time, instead opting to shape herself after Heather, albeit with black hair and raccoon eyeliner that made her features seemingly more bottomless.

“Why am I here?” Bobbie asked, not sure if that really needed an answer.

“This is your performance review.” Lust chided from where she sat, looking down at Bobbie. “Management is concerned that your current behavior is affecting your contribution to the company.”

Bobbie scowled. “Management? Gimme a break Lust, what’s this really about?” A hiss slipped out between her teeth as she hopped effortlessly from where she sat, landing next to Bobbie.

“Let me spell it out for you. This Tim guy? He’s no good to me. I need passion. Raw emotion. Excitement. Danger. Forbidden delights.”

“So what’s the problem?” Bobbie sneered. “Not that it’s your business, but sex won’t be in short supply.”

“That’s just it.” Her breath was hot enough to light a candle, burning Bobbie’s earlobe. “I can’t use the kind of energy you draw from him. He loves you, adores you, worships you.” Love, adore, and worship sounded incredibly mocking to Bobbie’s ears.

“That’s diesel when I need premium. Get the picture?”

“Forget it.” Bobbie mumbled, crossing her arms beneath her breasts. “Tim’s everything I’ve been missing. The kind of freedom you promised me didn’t help at all.” Lust clenched her fists at her sides.

“There’s more than one way to keep a Thrall in check, Bobbie. If you won’t do things the easy way, we’re going to have to do them the hard wa…” Lust stopped mid sentence as she’d been stung. There was a light that was flowing into the room now. But it was more than that…it seemed to draw the decay and entropy from the air itself and replace it with something vibrant, living. Peeling paint remolded itself into flawless hues, as cracks and fissures disappeared from healing stone. Life had returned to the hospital, or at least a part of it. And in the center of that radiance stood a single figure, her body clad in shimmering white robes.

 “Perhaps I can offer a suggestion?” Justice asked smoothly. Lust bared her teeth, her eyes seeming more hollow than ever. She raised a hand, Lust’s face grew angrier as she pounded a fist against a wall that was both invisible and recently constructed.

“Now that we have a minute. You understand now, do you not?”

Bobbie nodded dutifully.

“Now you understand what you are fighting against.” Justice said.

“Isn’t it the same as what I’m fighting for?”

“No, child.” Justice reassured. “Fighting for is to prevent yourself from harm. Fighting against is to prevent others from coming to harm.”

And with that, it suddenly made sense. Now she understood. Justice must always be tempered with understanding. She absently thought that she should watch Les Miserables again…

…with Tim.

Strangely, the whole episode made an odd kind of sense. Bobbie looked at Robb through this new prism.

His loneliness had led him to Melanie, to drugs. Which I took part in quite enthusiastically.

He had allowed his choices to be closed off one by one, until…

It didn’t seem like he was making as many wrong choices at the time. How had they piled up so quickly?

So many people been consumed this way, only to be ground up by every other aspect of their lives.

Bobbie had walked a marathon in a curious combination of Chuck Taylors and six inch heels.

It hadn’t been pretty, either. She made a whole bunch of bad decisions. Again.

Bobbie had been overly promiscuous. You flashed a total stranger in an elevator. She had taken drugs again. Even managed to drag Rach down with you on that one… good job.

And I hurt people. She felt shitty about it now, but it felt so good at the time.

Justice looked down at Bobbie. “You must go to Faye. You two need to talk.”

CLANG!!

 ***

Bobbie felt complete with Tim’s arm draped over her, their legs bent at the same angle.  The dream had left her tense, but the tension rapidly drained away as the guarded feeling washed over her.

She looked at the clock and figured that she had to leave. The looks Myka gave her implied something Bobbie didn’t like, and she wanted to give her no reason to confirm those suspicions.

One of the things Bobbie learned is what other people thought of her. They liked her, they really did. The one thing this whole last year had taught her was what the bonds of friendship felt like. There were so many things that her life as Robb had never provided. She liked the way her relationships had altered.

The big shock for her was the look on Faye’s face. Bobbie was positive that she had worn that look when…

Roxx.

Tim smacked his lips and turned over, he mumbled something. If she had to guess, it sounded like “No, mom. No potatoes till tomorrow.” The humorous moment was lost on her as something in her head moved, a large granite block slid into place.

I’m just like her. The thought slipped out easily enough, like the silence just before an explosion. You’re becoming Roxx, or at least another Melanie. If you stay like this, you’ll ruin him.

“No, I’m not like her.” The feeling of being reunited with Tim evaporated into a million tiny pieces of darkness. I need to find Faye.

Getting out seemed simple enough and it was. But she couldn’t shake that feeling; she had shared so many things in common with Roxx now. She saw it from the outside. Putting one foot in front of the other, Bobbie moved through the still dark morning.  Walking always cleared Bobbie’s head. But, now it was too cluttered a place that simple walking would soothe.  Bobbie wanted Tim to hold her forever, to be lost in that perfect feeling again. The interludes at the bakery just weren’t enough.

Bobbie cursed herself for jumping to conclusions when she had seen Roxx with him. Now she understood, it was her needs and desires that had brought her to that point, not his.

Somehow, she got back to the apartment. In the quiet darkness Bobbie made for the bedroom. Pausing only when she heard the squeak

“Faye?”

“Fuck you!”

“I’m coming in, okay?”

Bobbie let herself in and saw Faye clutching GIR. It was odd to see her so vulnerable. “It wasn’t enough that you tore apart everything I built?”

“You had to take him back too? He opened up to me. I helped him.” She put the stuffed animal down and looked at Bobbie, eyes steely and determined. “I think I did learn something here. About friendship, helping people; I always thought you plastics would be dull.”

“But you had to come in like a wrecking ball and….”

Bobbie couldn’t help it, she laughed. Faye caught both the laugh and what she had said.

Jesus, is this how it is with her? Faye thought. The sound of her laugh only served to make her think

 “You know what. I know how to switch us back, and…”

Bobbie’s heart swelled. Finally this can be over. I can go back to…

"But, why should I tell you? It almost seems like a waste to put you back in here. God, Lust must love you. You’re giving her everything she wanted when she changed me. Hell, Amy too. Maybe I just should let Justice do it. She told me I’d wake up one day believing I was always Bobbie Sharpe and that Faye Valentine is a harlot I’d soon never speak to again.” Anger peppered her words with Jolokia intensity. Maybe I should take her up on it. Shit, I didn't ask for that life any more than I did this one. Since you'll steal from me no matter who I am, I say you can keep it!"

“But,” Bobbie started to plead. “You can go back and fix…” The thought of continuing on like this forever, trapped in a nightmare of eroticism and titillation.

"What do I have to go back to? You're gonna leave me with Nick afraid of me, Rach not wanting to see me, and Zoe thinking I’m some kind of freak. And that little field trip of yours? Allegra dropped me. I'm glad you got paid, because I'm gonna need that to live on you fucking cunt."

“Just get out, I’m sure loverboy is waiting. He’s gonna need help with all those orders.”

“You said that you’re Faye now?”

“You certainly are.” Faye did feel badly that Tim was going to catch so much fallout over this. It stabbed at her heart thinking of the other girls giving him the cold shoulder. It wasn’t his fault, Beth would take it the hardest. It that respect, it was like her friendships with Rach and Zoe. They stood by each other. She was pretty sure that it would effectively be the end of Cheepskates as well, and that would be a crime.

“I’m just gonna let you sit there and…” Her face became mocking. “Be Fay-Fay.”

With the thought of being back in the place she wanted to be more than anything dangling in front of her turning into a Sword of Damocles.

Her old life used as a weapon, a bargaining chip.

Bobbie was speechless. Unable to speak, her eyes threw up a veil of tears.

She didn’t close the door as she exited; the morning suddenly seemed more humid. Bobbie kept walking, tiredness creeping back into her bones.

Chapter 70

Roxx felt the slight chill in the air as it blew over her scantily clad body. Vesuvius seemed to be the answer.  For now, anyway. There was four hundred dollars tucked into the left cup of her bra. The other girls seemed to have been there a while, one even remembering as far back as two owners ago.

Her trained eye told her that the current owners were the Russians she had heard so much about. Here was not only a place that could satisfy Lust’s needs, as well as her own monetary standing, but also allowed her access to the same party favors without the same amount of legwork.

She lit her cigarette and headed back. She got rid of Mary a couple days before, her schedule at Vesuvius didn’t give her enough time anyway. The club was quiet, the throbbing bass that usually characterized the club was gone, the neon flying at half mast, some of the tubes burnt out from overuse. The smoke tasted good, clean. After a night at Vesuvius, the famous smogs of Pittsburg would have been a welcome change.

It wasn’t too bad. Dancing, some lapdances. A little handjob action if the bouncers aren’t looking. The money was okay, it was a lot more than she ever made before. The real bonus being that it seemed to keep Lust off her back.

            For now at least.

 ***

Bobbie was sitting on a chair in front of Daily Grind, more than a little cried out. She looked at the cigarette she had bought from the mini mart. Behind her sat the familiar cup, clock and saucer logo. The lights came on and her heart sank. She would have given anything to catch Tim making deliveries on that moped. Gilda opened the door and smiled.

Bobbie’s face was smudged from the evening’s exertions and activities. She smiled weakly. “Thanks for opening this early.”

Gilda looked at Bobbie. “You’re Faye, right? One of Bobbie and Tim’s friends, you okay?”

Bobbie imagined what her face looked like, she had obviously been crying.

“I’ll be fine, just a bad night is all. Just please tell me that there’s already coffee ready.”

Gilda smiled. “Of course.”

Bobbie was inside, sitting at one of the small tables. She had ordered  a redeye, figuring that the higher caffeine level would help cancel out the sleep deprivation. The crying had been more out of frustration than anything. Seeing the thing she wanted most dangle in front of her.

With the chain being held by Faye.

She’s right, you know? A familiar voice, a male one…

Robb.

Last time I saw you, everything was looking up. What the hell happened? Now you’re doing shit I used to do.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Didn’t you learn anything last time? You’re gonna end up like Melanie if this keeps up, or worse, Roxx.

Bobbie ignored the voice and sipped at the bitter brew. Realizing that the drink needed sugar, she got up and added the sweetener to her coffee.

Ah, what the hell? Bobbie thought, adding the half and half until the dark beverage reached the desired color. Sipping at the drink, she remembered all the good things that came with being Bobbie. Crying would have been an option, if she hadn’t completely drained her tear ducts.

“Hope you have a better day.” Gilda said.

“Me, too.” Bobbie smiled weakly. “Thanks.”

Bobbie backed out the door with the coffee in her hand, she screwed the cigarette into her lips and lit it as she walked in the direction of Cheepskates.

 ***

Tim woke to the sound of the alarm. Fumbling for the phone, he thumbed off the annoying sound. His heart sank as he realized that Bobbie was gone, it was quickly followed by feeling bad for Faye. He pulled his pants on and headed for the shower. Opening the bakery wouldn’t be fun today, even though last night came off smoothly. By the time he got his coffee and headed downstairs to the bakery, he was running a little behind. Luckily, the inventory had been readied before the evening’s end.

            When Faye walked in and… FUCK! The whole situation bothered him. It wasn’t his fault, everyone involved knew it. Either way, he felt terrible. Like it was his fault, he sat there on his stool lost in thought. He must have dozed off for a moment, only to be woken up by Bobbie standing inches in front of him. The door chimes didn’t even nudge him off of the platform of sleep. After a stumbling start, Tim jumped up and went to her, folding her into his arms.

“Am I glad to see you. Help with the display case?” He whispered into her ear.

“Sure.” Bobbie smiled.  She started to put the lemon tarts on a shelf.

“No, not there. Bo…Faye figured out that we should keep those closer to the till. Fruit tarts go there, we sell less of those. Gets people out and on their way faster.”

Bobbie grimaced for a fraction of a second. Being here with Tim was supposed to help her forget Faye, and the thought of her joyride with him. Look at how he treats…

Not just you, unlike most of the guys you’ve met this last year, girls…

Women. It was never ‘baby’, or ‘honey’, or ‘sweetie’. It was always by name.

They continued to stock the case with the pastries separated by type and flavor. The door chime alerted them to the customers. Their dark blue uniforms drawing in the light of the room.

“Oh, good morning officers.” Tim said, instantly recognizing Hudson and Hobson. Hobson, the taller one, took a paper coffee cup from the cup holder and offered it to Tim.

“Thanks.” Tim said.

“Miss Valentine.” Hudson said. “Ever get that brake light fixed?”

“EVO’s not out front, detective…” Hobson was sarcastic.

Bobbie’s face showed anxiety. Tim chuckled at the buddy cop banter that seemed to come from them whenever he saw them together.

“She’s working on it. Got a friend of mine to do it, she’s taking the bus now.”

“Where’s Bobbie?” Hobson asked.

“She’s really tired after last night, told her to get some rest. Faye here’s gonna fill in today.”

“Last night was great. My daughter liked the band.” He laughed. “Now she wants to cut her hair like the singer.” The laugh continued. “Kids…”

Tim laughed as well. “Well, we’re kids, too.”

“You run a bakery that makes amazing things. You may look like a kid.” Hudson said.

“But you guys are all ‘old souls’.” Hobson finished.

Tim handed off a couple of loaves of Banana Bread to the officers.

“Thanks.” Hobson smiled. He turned to Hudson. “You gonna try to eat my half this time, too?”

Hudson looked back at his partner. “Hey, I lost that last piece when you jammed the brakes pulling over that drunk guy. You owe me.”

Hobson laughed louder. “We’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye officers.” Both Bobbie and Tim said in unison.

The day was slow, with all the regulars having stopped by the previous night to procure their treats for the next day. At ten o’clock, Bobbie had an idea. She went to the door and flipped the sign to ‘Sorry we missed you’ side.

“Bobbie, what are you doing?” Tim asked. Bobbie turned her head to look over her shoulder at him.

            “Taking a break.” She had a hungry smile on her face. Bobbie turned and sauntered over to the walk in. Opening the door, she soon only had her head visible. “Be right back.” She said with a wink.

Tim stared after her as the door closed. When she reemerged from the metal box, she had a piping bag on one hand. And her dress and bra were both missing. She must have left them in the walk in.

Bobbie squeezed some frosting on her finger and licked it off orgasmically. Slowly and carefully, she made her way towards him. “This is great frosting for cupcakes.” She squeezed some on a nipple, the chill substance made it stiffen instantly. Tim bent as he grabbed the sweetened breast.

“But, it’s better in the original Klingon?” Tim laughed, his hot breath teasing her nipple.

His eyes opened as he bolted upward. The look on Faye’s face wasn’t one he wanted repeated on anybody. Not one but two girls had given the same look with the same face. The thought of adding a new face to the roster, especially a friend like Beth, moved carnal intent to the side long enough for Tim to prevent that particular happenstance.

“What?” Bobbie gasped, startled by the sudden lack of attention.

“Beth.” Tim said. “Don’t need her walking in on us.” Opening his phone, he made the call.

“Hi, Beth. Yeah, it’s totally dead. You don’t need to come in today. I’ve got it. Nah, she’s probably sleeping, too. ”

“Cool, see you tomorrow.” Tim closed the phone. “Now, where were we?”

            “Ooh,” Bobbie said coquettishly, grasping his chin between her thumb and the side of her index finger. “So responsible.” Bobbie shook Tim’s head from side to side.

            “Someone very important to me taught me how important responsibility is.”

            “Shut up.” Bobbie said. She stood as tall as she could, to the very tip of her tippy toes. Tim could feel the vibrations of the underlying moaning that Bobbie was uttering as they kissed. They wound up on the fondant station. Groping and fondling each other, the cold marble surface

I’m going to have to bleach this whole area. Tim thought. But that thought went dormant as they tore into each other with wild abandon. Soon, Tim discovered that if properly mixed, the grit was soon gone.  The cold icing left sticky tracks, finger patterns running through them haphazardly.

Tim was lost in a world of carnal delights…or was it caramel delights? He was doing some of the work, but not much. The video came to mind, how she went from being the angel to…

Not the angel?

He closed his eyes and bit his lip as he felt her fingertips rake their way down his stomach. He jumped as the pastry bag pushed some of its contents out onto his erect member.

Bobbie’s mouth provided the warm contrast to the chocolaty substance as she took her velvety tongue enveloped him.

“Bobbie…” He gasped. She reached her hand back up and stuck her frosting slick fingers in his mouth. The sweetness in his mouth and the heat and moisture of hers melted together into one. He could swear that he heard her growl as she seductively made her way up his body.

It was still a bit of a shock to see Bobbie like this. She was the sweetest girl he’d ever met, and now she was attacking him like a wild animal. The taste of the icing chased the thought away. There was a jarring slight pain that repeated like the beat of a scratched techno cd as his tailbone was slammed repeatedly into the marble surface. He didn’t even notice her turn around and move into the reverse cowgirl position. She screamed and he grunted, signifying the end of the act. Bobbie swung herself off of him and laid her head on his chest and enjoyed the closeness she had been chasing for longer than she wanted to.

Having her there was everything he wanted right then. Maybe I do need some time off. Tim thought, thinking that maybe the recipe called for just a dash of irresponsibility.

 ***

Faye woke up with drool coating the corner of her mouth. GIR had absorbed most of it in the night, leaving it feeling soggy. Despite the high from the success of the Grand Opening, she was at the bottom of a downward spiral.

Tim. She thought of their date, a glimmer of a smile played across her lips. She had felt like the most important girl in the world. It was a nice feeling, and with everything she had ever felt for Rach…

Rach had never made her feel that important. Important, sure; but Tim’s chivalry, sweetness, and easy going manner rolled it all together into a package that could have made a glittery vampire blush.

Not your boyfriend, remember dumbass?

I know, but…

If that’s what you’re looking for then go find it.

No, he’s with Bobbie. Faye realized. Even swapping bodies couldn’t change that. It was almost they were like two corresponding puzzle pieces carved from the same piece of wood.

Faye teared up at the thought, but had to realize the truth. No matter how comfortable she got, no matter how many people she helped. She would always be an impostor.

And Tim…

He never was yours. In fact, that date shouldn’t have happened, who’s idea was that date anyway?

Shut up.

In fact, I can’t believe you fell for him. Isn’t that like, against everything you said when this whole gender adventure started?

Shut up.

God, you really have gone native. What’s next? Gonna get baby hungry?

SHUT UP!

Faye got up and used her movements to shut the other voice out. Keeping her mind firmly on the acquisition of caffeine, Faye entered the kitchen and started the coffee. Slicing a couple of hunks of banana bread off of a loaf, she put them on a plate and poured the first cup as soon as there was enough of the dark liquid in the bottom of the carafe.

Nick came out and rubbed his face. He had gained some weight back, and the Samsonite luggage under his eyes had been lost by Sandman Air.

“Morning Bobbie. Faye come home last night?”

Faye looked at her cup. Great now even Nick can’t help me forget.

“No.”

“Hmm. I got up to use the bathroom, and the front door was wide open. That’s not like her.” Nick grabbed the coffee mug featuring the pixilated version of Juri.

Faye shrugged. “She hasn’t been herself lately.”

“Tell me about it. It’s gonna be weird seeing her again. We’ve probably avoided each other long enough. Still don’t know what she was thinking.” He shook his head as he stirred the coffee slowly.

“You got any plans today? I need to do laundry.” Nick sipped at the drink.

Faye stopped, she didn’t. Moping around the house wasn’t the answer, getting out and away from cupcakes and other Bobbie related accoutrements suddenly overtook other thoughts.

“Don’t think so.”

“Well, I was heading to the mall today. Thought I’d see what the other daywalkers are like today.” Nick took another sip.

“Sure.” Faye smiled. Well, that helps…

Some.

 ***

Tim had always enjoyed Vespa rides with Bobbie. After leaving Cheepskates, she had filled his tiny gas tank. The luck of the Seven Pillars of Gulu seemed to be with them as they noticed that Faye’s house was empty. Seeing the EVO there made her nervous, but further investigation proved that they had both left. Wonder where she went? A quick shower and change of clothes later, Bobbie and Tim were off on a joyride of a different sort. They rode through quiet streets and centers of traffic in a long, circuitous route that ended only when Tim noticed that the seat of his pants had lost all feeling.

Putting the kickstand down, he allowed Bobbie off first. Tim followed, stretching out his legs and making a couple of stiffly legged steps. “Hungry? If I see one more frozen burrito.”

Bobbie laughed. “Sure, whatever fine cuisine you can get at the mall.”

They were through the better part of a lap before Tim stopped.

“2 corn dogs, a large fry and a large lemonade?”

Bobbie looked at him. “Corn dogs?”

“Hey, these are really good. Archetypal American mall cuisine.”

They sat at a blue wire mesh chair in the food court, a small paper boat with a puddle of catsup and mustard between them. Bobbie was eating fries two at a time while listening Tim fill her in on the rest of the news that had happened to Faye.

“…then she stops, like she’s possessed, goes up to the board and designs the whole cake in like a minute or two. You should have seen it, it was just so, so… you.” He washed down the last bit of corn dog with a hard pull on the straw.

“Have you started it yet?”

“No. Don’t need it for three more weeks.” Tim’s face fell. “God, I hope we can do it now.” He suddenly looked concerned.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure that we can handle it.”

Tim smiled as he dipped a fry into the mustard catsup conglomeration. The smile was tinged with worry.

“Stop worrying. What can possibly go wrong?”

 ***

Thanks to Steve, Beth had learned more about sculpting than she ever wanted to. They stood in an aisle of The Decorette to look at the different colors Beth needed to complete her sugar paste figure task.

Steve played what he called a ‘tabletop miniatures wargame’, Beth called it ‘action figures with rules, dice, and a tape measure’. Either way, Beth was soon able to take a formless lump of sugar and water and make nearly anything with it.

“Just knives and stabbing weapons.” He chided. “We’ve got everything, right?” Steve said, holding up the bags.

“Yep. Ready to get out of here?”

“Sure.” Steve said, reaching out to take her hand. “Wanna grab lunch?”

Beth smiled. “Okay.”

 ***

Nick was in Captain Zany’s Gifts, the only store in the mall that carried t-shirts obscure enough for Nick. He did most of his shopping online, but, sometimes there was a certain appeal in going to an actual store. Finding the same shirt in another store would mean that either the shirt’s depiction had lost its culty nature, or that Captain Zany had made a mistake when filing his orders. Both had happened to the chagrin of many.

He had bought a couple of new shirts. “Been waiting to get a Kill La Kill shirt. Wish he’d get Black Lagoon in soon.”

Faye laughed. Same old Nick.

“I want some teriyaki. You in?”

Faye thought about her own stomach, she had skipped breakfast. “I suppose some food might help.”

They ordered from the young cashier. When Faye took out her money, Nick stopped her. “No.” Nick said with finality. “It’s the least I can do.”

When their bowls came, they took their seats at a red backed booth. Nick obliviously sat with his back to the main seating area. Faye, from her position, saw the green top and the green streak that announced Bobbie’s presence like the starting light at a funny car race.

He saw them laughing and talking. It would have been so perfect if she didn’t know what it was like.

“…like you and Tim.” Nick said, making sure there was broccoli on the fork along with the rice and thinly sliced beef. Faye stared over his shoulder.

Look at him, and her. They look so happy.

As happy as she would be to have Rach in her arms again, sharing a comfortable warmth. She thought about Tim and what that other life could have been. Dammit, she thought. Katy Fucking Perry had a point? That has to be one of the seven signs of the apocalypse.

Faye wanted to feel the softness of Rachael in her arms again. She wondered if the strange unfamiliarity of her curvaceous body pressed up against a form that was just as yielding and fragile would be odd after all this tie. She already missed the way she felt in Tim's arms...small, fragile and delicate like a glass rose. There was safety in those arms, contentment that as long as she was there, he would make sure nothing ever happened to her. Rachael was still gorgeous, but...they were the same, not opposites designed, no...destined to complement each other. She sighed softly and bit her lip, fighting back a Bobbiesque swell of emotion that threatened to envelop her.

Fuck you, Bobbie Sharpe. You don't deserve him.

“Or Faye and Rach.” He chuckled, missing the flash of emotion on her face. “I like her. Where were girls like her when I was in high school? And she loves Faye. That’s what makes this all so complicated.” He squirted a tiny amount of sriracha after seeing Faye do so. Nick had always been afraid of the bright red paste.

“I love her, you know? Have since…”

“Kane?”

Nick coughed, the spice catching the back of his throat, he gulped down some iced tea.

Faye put her hand on Nick’s. “Believe me, she’d never do anything to hurt you on purpose. I mean, can you imagine her stabbing herself?”

Nick laughed. “Funny picture.”

Faye smiled as she saw Tim and Bobbie get up and enter Fresh! She saw them enter the photo booth and remembered that long ago day with Rach.

“I’m gonna get a refill, you need one?” Nick asked, rattling the ice in his cup.

“Hmmm?” Faye asked, still preoccupied with the photobooth. “Oh, sure.”

 ***

Steve was ordering a burger, while Beth opted for a salad. “Need to stop eating my work. Worried about the prom dress.”

“You’ll look beautiful no matter what.” Steve said, opting for the smaller drink and apple slices instead of fries. Maybe she has a point. His culinary classes surrounded him with cream, butter and red meat every day. My cholesterol is probably high just from osmosis.

After paying and beginning the high level quest for a seat in the rapidly crowding mall, Steve stopped.

“Isn’t that Bobbie and Nick?”

“Yeah. Let’s go say hi.”

Nick was returning with the refills when Steve and Beth arrived.

“Hi, Bobbie.” Beth said excitedly.

Jumping, Faye looked over. “Oh, hey. Beth. Not at the bakery?”

“Tim called and told me to take the day off. Besides, needed stuff for the school cake. Need to start on that. Lot of work. Can’t wait to see it finished.”

Me neither. Faye thought.

“Well, I’ve gotta run. Nick’s my ride.”

“Looks like we got here just in time, then.” Steve said, happy to have slain the evil wizard and his seat devouring minions.

 ***

“You are hilarious.” Tim said, looking at the strip of pictures that dispensed from the booth.

Bobbie had mimicked the familiar ‘V’ gesture with tongue for the last one. She quickly ripped that one off of the strip and secured it in her bra.

“What?” Tim protested.

“I’ll explain later.” There was going to be some good to come out of this.

And, dammit. Hopefully I can help Faye a little here, too.

As they left, Bobbie swore she saw Steve and Beth on the far side of the food court.

“Just keep walking.” Bobbie said softly.

“Why?” Tim asked, matching her tone.

“Let’s just get out of here? Anyplace quiet?”

“Sure. I can feel my ass again.” He said.

 “Let’s go.”

 

up
52 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What if?

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

If Wile E. Coyote ever caught that fucking roadrunner, what would he do?

Name himself CEO, of course, and rebrand Wile E. Coyote Internet and Wile E. Coyote Records.