Eve - Chapter 32

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 32
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
Previously:

Mum's being seen by a shrink and there's no guarantee she'll be released from hospital soon.

Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 32
 
 
I woke up with an arm around me, locking me to Claire. Having a full bladder at that moment meant that something had to give. I tried to ease Claire from me but she wasn't the one to do the giving right now. In the end I had to unwrap my girlfriend from me with the risk that I'd wake her.

I made it back to the bedroom then looked at the clock, it was half seven, and a Saturday, no wonder Claire was still asleep. She needed an alarm to get her moving for school, without that alarm she could sleep for Britain.

It was very tempting to slide back in beside her but I'm a morning person and knew I wouldn't get back off to sleep. I put on a gown, Claire's mum had brought my own nightwear over, and slipped down the stairs intending to put the kettle on. Sharon had beaten me to it, she must have got up while I was in the loo. A minute later we were sat at the table with our steaming mugs.

"Now, I think you are worrying too much and it's not good for you."

"I know, but look at it from my side: I've had surgery for a tumour, I have an unknown hormonal condition, I've been treated unfairly by the hospital and certain people at my school, subjected to personal attacks, Claire included, and now mum's in hospital, seeing a shrink."

"It sounds worse than it is. You're still healthy, if there was something seriously wrong with you don't you think you would've been hauled back into that hospital?"

"I suppose so."

"You have been mistreated, I'll accept that, but it's mostly dealt with. You should be back at school in a few weeks and you've settled with the hospital. I don't know what you got from that settlement but I'd guess you can afford that laptop you've been after?"

"Yes, I can afford a laptop and I'd like to buy it this weekend, if I can."

"So, what's left? Your mum is in the hospital but, apart from banging her head, has no other identified injuries. She should be out today, although I guess you doubt that."

"She's seeing the shrink this morning, he might not let her out."

"Unless they're planning to section(*) her, she can discharge herself at any time. Remember, I was a nurse once and I know they'll have trouble persuading a second psychiatrist that she's a threat to herself or others."

"Se'll be home today?"

"I would say so, unless there's a new medical issue."

"Is that all? Does my life get simpler now?"

"Of course, but not straight away. We might finally get that court hearing on Monday, but we could be denied justice again. Either it happens, or it doesn't. There's no point fretting."

"Okay, what should I be worried about?"

"Not alot right now, get yourself in that shower. What housework do you need to do in your house?"

"Hoover upstairs, change the bedding and clean the bathroom. I need fresh milk and bread, and tons more."

"I'll get the girls to help you in the house once they're up, we'll worry about the shopping a bit later. Get moving!"

I ran upstairs and just beat a sleepy Annie into the shower. Ten minutes later I was back out, I hadn't yet put my wig on, but my hair was long enough to need conditioning regularly. I wondered if I should leave the wig off. Today was not the day for decisions like this.

Dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt I headed out the door and into my house. I firstly went into my and mum's bedrooms and stripped the beds, carrying the bedding to the washing machine. There was at least one wash load ready to go, from Wednesday, these two beds plus the bathroom towels would mean at least two more loads. Hmmm, I was not used to doing this.

I'd finished getting the first load running when Annie appeared with a glass of OJ and a plate of toast, apparently I'd forgotten breakfast. I downed the offerings and the two of us went upstairs, Annie started with the vacuum cleaner while I tackled the bathroom. Afterwards I retrieved a clean set of clothes for mum from her room, as well as some makeup. I placed them in a bag on the kitchen table.

Claire joined us as Annie and I finished our respective tasks. I found some clean bedding and asked the two girls to sort out the beds while I went to phone to my aunt.

"Hi Eve."

"Morning. Did Dr Masters call?"

"Yes, he didn't say much though. Are you going to be there at ten?"

"Yes, but I'm not sure if she is being released, although Sharon doesn't think they can keep her there unless they section her."

"I'd have to agree with Sharon on that point. I think we'd best get moving as it's gone half nine."

Where had the time gone? I hung up and checked on the two girls, they were just finishing my bed but told me to leave them there, Claire asked about food.

"I need to get some fresh milk, bread and salad."

"We'll do that, do you need anything else?"

"I'm just thinking about lunch right now. Here's a tenner, will that do?"

"It shouldn't be that much, you'd best get moving."

I gave Claire a kiss, although Annie tried to look disgusted. I then headed out the door, collecting mum's change of clothes on the way. Sharon was waiting for me, she seemed to know what the girls were doing and didn't need to interfere. It didn't take long to get to the carpark, of course I still didn't have that permit so had to feed the machine with coins. We walked past the main reception desk and up to the main female ward.

Mum was sat up in bed with Dr Masters at her bedside. I don't think she was very happy but brightened a bit when she saw the bag I was carrying. I figured I would take the initiative. "Dr Masters, I'm sorry for interrupting but I'm here to collect my mother."

"I'm done here anyway. I was ready to discharge her half an hour ago but she has been waiting for clean clothes."

He was obviously trying either to tell a bad joke or wind me up; I didn't bite, regardless. The shrink walked away so I suggested to Mum that the sooner she was dressed, the quicker we could be out of here. I put the bag on her bed while my aunt started drawing the curtain; she still wasn't comfortable with her new daughter seeing her without wearing at least some underwear. My aunt stayed to help her. Of course I'd managed to forget a hairbrush but my aunt had one.

Sharon and I waited patiently at the nurses station. We didn't see any nurses or doctors, was this normal for the weekend? Mum and Aunt Sue appeared after a few minutes with mum in a knee length tartan skirt. Mum didn't wear skirts often so I'd decided I'd put her in one for the day, partly as a joke of my own. She hadn't realised it was me who'd chosen her clothes so all I got was a kiss and we headed to Sharon's car. The ride home was in silence, neither Sharon or myself could find anything sensible to say to her.

My aunt had followed us in her own car and parked on our drive. The rest of us disembarked from Sharon's car and walked across, Annie opened the front door having heard the card pull up, but retreated immediately to the kitchen. Mum still hadn't said anything yet but looked around the lounge as she sat down.

"I see you have done some cleaning."

"Yes, Annie and Claire helped me."

That seemed to be the end of the conversation as Annie brought a tray of cups into the lounge. Claire followed with some biscuits, chocolate cookies by the look. We sipped the tea that had been poured, waiting for the first comments. My aunt was first, addressing her sister.

"How are you Debbie?"

"If you mean physically, then I'm fine."

"You know what I mean."

Mum looked around the room, as if looking for inspiration. Instead, Sharon decided to speak.

"Eve, could you and the girls go to the kichen?"

I guessed mum wasn't comfortable discussing her conversations with the psychiatrist in front of me, Claire and Annie. We picked up our cups and retreated, closing the door behind us. I put the radio on in the kitchen to show mum that we weren't listening.

I saw the carton of fresh milk on the worktop and went to the fridge to put it away. I found almost a full fridge, including some minced beef and fresh plum tomatoes. On the worktop were kidney beans and a bag of rice. Have you ever had the feeling you'd been stitched up?

"Eve, we figured you'd want to do something to help your mum. I thought a chilli would be good, to replace the one you didn't get on Wednesday."

I grabbed Annie and gave her a hug, Claire looked upset so she got a hug as well. My eyes welled up and Claire offered me a tissue.

"Thank you. That was a touching idea, but I only left you ten pounds. You must have spent twenty or thirty?"

"Don't worry about that, how about we help you get the chilli started for dinner, then we can organise lunch?"

I took the hint and started working on the evening meal. The girls helped me chop the onion, garlic and two red jalapenos. By the time the door was opened from the lounge we had a bubbling pot and lunch started. I had found a wholemeal loaf on the side, a cooked gammon joint and some strong cheddar in the fridge, plus a ready supply of salad. We started putting a ploughman's lunch together.

"Eve, could you join us?"

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectioning#United_Kingdom

up
292 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, maybe Eve is now going

Well, maybe Eve is now going to get the whole story. Unvarnished truth and all. She can only hope.