Duty, Honor, Country, Family - Part 3

Printer-friendly version

          My little sportscar - Hiromi had taken Chuck for a ride and used his stick(shift/shaft) to drive very fast. It was all a bit perverted, but still an apt nickname.
          Not long afterwards, Hiromi fell asleep. Captain Slater had re-emerged by then, feeling repulsed by what she had just done. She knew she had no choice if Swan Song would have any chance of succeeding. How many more times would Tom have to please Chuck before completing this mission?

Hokusai View of Fuji off Kanagawa Province and Yokohama
Chapter Three

A brief synopsis- Army Captain Tom Slater has been asked by the FBI and the US Army, to infilitrate a Japanese organized crime family. But first the Captain has to undergo some interesting DNA therapy and training to prepare him...her for the mission.

This story is dedicated to Sharonna. Sharonna created a few stories featuring what she called the ‘Community Service’ program. My transformation and plot in this story were inspired some by Sharonna’s story U.S. Marshals.

Note- I used a plot device once used in a Tom Clancy novel, “The Bear and the Dragon.” Chalk it up to a lack of computer expertise or imagination from me. I just didn’t know how else to work this part of my plot. In any event it’s just a very tiny bit of the story that follows.

I want to say thank you to Andi, Circe, and in particular Daphne for their help with this story.

Enjoy. This is a long story with just a smidgen of sex.(Two scenes and not till later in the story) If you’re looking for either a short story or lots of sex, don’t bother reading.
 

~*~

 
Hiromi had been up around about an hour, when she heard the sound of someone knocking at the front door. Who could it be? A neighbor? By Hiromi’s watch it was barely 6:30 in the morning. The knocking sound became louder as she approached the door. Without asking who it was, Hiromi opened the door.

“Morning boss,” Said a sandy haired man in his late thirties. His voice had a Cockney accent. “Mind if we come in?”

Hiromi immediately recognized the man from one of her many briefings. His name was Roger Hyde, a former member of the British SAS, and supposedly head of the goon squad that kept a close eye on Hiromi Sato when she was in Yokohama and most anywhere else.

“No, come in,” Hiromi said as she watched Roger, a Polynesian man only known as Kimo, and a Japanese woman named Reina Shimizu come into the house. “I’m almost through packing.”

“Can we help?” Roger asked as Reina and Kimo kept busy by checking the rest of the house out.

“You can put the bags in my car outside.”

After Roger instructed another guard named Yuri to see to Hiromi’s bags, the head bodyguard passed some information on to his Taro or boss. “There’s been a change of plan boss.”

Hiromi had already guessed that. She wasn’t anticipating anyone coming to meet her in Kushiro. That wasn’t the plan laid out by the Swan Song committee. “Like what?”

“Oyabun wants to see you pronto. Like yesterday in fact. He sent us to fetch you. We got a plane nearby to take you back.”

“Just give me a few minutes. I’ll be ready.”

“We’ll be waiting boss.”

Hiromi went back in the master bedroom and closed the door. Admittedly she wasn’t dressed for an audience with Goro Watanabe, but Roger and his goons appeared impatient. For some reason the Oyabun wanted to see Hiromi immediately.

For her return to Yokohama, Hiromi was wearing a fuschia stripped polo shirt, white pants and shoes, plus she had a black hobo bag. For her trip back to Yokohama, Hiromi had planned on wearing dark sunglasses.

After double-checking her appearance, plus putting on some earrings, Hiromi emerged from the bedroom. “I’m ready.”

On leaving the house, Hiromi was walked over to a nearby SUV. “What about my rental?”

“Reina will return it for you. She’ll come back on the flight you booked. Won’t you love?”

The female bodyguard answered in the affirmative at the same moment Hiromi got into the SUV. As soon as Roger, Yuri, and Kimo were inside, the four of them drove off.

The city of Kushiro has a small executive airport. A Grumman jet with two pilots on board was waiting for Hiromi and her party. The plane was airborne less than five minutes after the aircraft’s main door was shut.

‘Swan Song is now go.’ Hiromi told herself.’ Over three months of hard work had culminated in Captain Thomas Slater taking the place of Hiromi Sato. The danger factor in regards to her mission was already being felt. Hiromi was on board a plane with three very dangerous men who could just as easily break her in two as throw her out the plane door at 35,000 feet. Roger, Kimo, and Yuri, were not men to be fooled with. They were also paid help, or mercenaries. They could switch sides very easily and become foe instead of protector. Hiromi knew she couldn’t allow herself to get too close to these people.

The flight to Haneda airport took an hour. On arrival, Hiromi climbed in the back of a car that was waiting for her. As soon as the guards were in the vehicle too, the vehicle set off for Yokohama.

The Watanabe Yakuza, like many American based organized crime, used legitimate businesses to cover their activities and launder their money. Goro Watanabe’s empire was based out of the same building that was home to Yokohama’s biggest bank, Pacific Sun. The office was in Nishi-Ku, one of Yokohama’s eighteen wards.

Hiromi was again getting those deja vu feelings again as she arrived at the bank. It was like she had visited the place before. The moment she got out of the car with Kimo and Roger flanking her, Hiromi knew exactly where to go in the underground parking garage. A single elevator, around a corner, was just twenty feet away.

A key was needed to use this elevator, and Kimo had it. Once they were all inside, Roger hit the button for the twenty-third floor, the ride being made in absolute silence.

The elevator opened on the twenty-third floor to a narrow, short hallway. Guards were posted at both ends. Hiromi went straight to the end. When she got there, the door was held open for her.

On the other side of the door were metal detectors and a conveyor belt, just like at an airport. Hiromi placed her bag on the conveyor and walked through the detectors.

It just now occurred to Hiromi, that the Glock-26 was still in her handbag. Certainly the security had to have seen it when it went through x-ray. Still they gave the black hobo bag back to her. No questions asked.

On the other hand Hiromi’s guards had to wait outside. That gave Hiromi the impression that there were either degrees of trust in the Yakuza or that or Hiromi Sato was very close to the top of the Watanabe Yakuza. She was someone much more than just its accountant and financial advisor.

Hiromi had truly arrived in the Yakuza. If someone expected a seedy like atmosphere, they would have been surprised. The offices were modern, the people working there all professional looking. The same could even be said for the guards.

As soon as Hiromi walked in, every last man and woman not standing, did so and bowed at Hiromi. Hiromi had another deja vu moment, recognizing the men and women there and even being able to name some of them.

'I really have Hiromi Sato’s memories. Is that good or bad?’ Hiromi thought to herself as she walked towards a back office. A secretary approximately thirty years of age rising as she approached.

“Ah, Sato-san, yoku irrasyaimashita! Oyabun anata o matte imasu. Doozo, ohaite kudasai.” The secretary said. Without stopping, Hiromi bowed her head in acknowledgment, before going straight into Goro Watanabe’s office.

Goro Watanabe looked even more impressive in person than he did in the many photos and video Midori had seen over the last few months. Immaculately dressed, he looked like any other Japanese business tycoon, but Hiromi knew the real Goro too. A man who could be absolutely ruthless as quickly as it took to flip a light switch.

The Oyabun was on the phone when Hiromi entered, but gestured for her to take a seat. Hiromi waited silently till Goro finished his call.

When he was off the phone, Goro Watanabe was all smiles. "It is good to see you again, Hiromi.”

“It is good to be back Oyabun-san.”

“Hiromi-chan, doo shite sonna takai Nihongo to boku ni tsukatteru? Futari dake deskedo.” Why so formal Hiromi? We are alone and after all cousins.”

‘Cousins?’ Hiromi asked herself in shock. Now a lot of things began making sense. Like how Hiromi Sato had risen so quickly in the Yakuza.

Of course there were still many things Hiromi didn’t know. "Sumimasen, Goro-san! Kuse desu kara. Toku ni, anata to.”

Hiromi had just told the Oyabun she was being respectful. This caused the otherwise businesslike Goro to smile. “Grandfather sends you his best. He hopes you can pay him a visit this weekend.”

Another thing clicked in Hiromi’s mind

“How was your trip today?”

“It was good.”

Goro looked Hiromi in the eye as he used both hands to twirl a ballpoint pen in his hands. “I am sorry about Aunt Emiko.”

“Thank you.”

“Regrettably I could not come to Kushiro for the funeral. Are all her affairs in order now?”

“Almost. I have put her home up for sale.”

Goro nodded. “Hiromi, I wish it would have been possible of me to allow you more time now, but Uncle and I needed you back.”

“Oyabun, I am ready to return to work.”

“Good, good. There are financial reports prepared and waiting for your examination. There will be a meeting Friday to discuss these.”

“I’ll go right to work on them.”

“Then I won’t keep you any longer.” Goro replied. Hiromi took this as a message that their meeting was over. After rising from her chair, Hiromi bowed to Oyabun before leaving the office.

Roger and the goon squad were waiting for Hiromi. “Where to boss?”

“The office.”

The office, one of several but the most used, of Hiromi Sato was at Watanabe Trucking. Yokohama being a major port city, trucks were needed to move cargo and freight to and from the port. The company made the perfect cover for Goro Watanabe’s illicit activities.

On getting to her office, Hiromi again had a deja vu moment. They were unnerving, but made it easy for Tom Slater to pass as Hiromi Sato.

“Welcome back Taro-san. I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt’s passing.” Said a secretary standing in front of Hiromi’s office.

“Domo arigato.” Hiromi replied back. The secretary then handed her boss a large amount of phone messages. After receiving these, Hiromi went straight into the office.

The office was approximately half the size of Goro’s but still spacious. A large desk with a computer on it and was the main feature of the room. There were three vases of flowers spread around the room.

As soon as she got behind her desk, Hiromi pushed the start button on her PC and proceeded to kick her shoes off. While the computer warmed up, she checked the dozen red roses that were on her desk.

A small card came along with the vase. All that was written on it was ‘From C’

Hiromi had more pressing concerns than guessing who C was. Like how was she to evaluate financial reports for a company she knew little about.

Later on Hiromi checked the other flowers in the room. The cards that came with them said they were people in the office. As the day went on, more flowers arrived for Hiromi.

As Hiromi signed onto the computer, the password she used was one of the few bits of information learned from the real Hiromi during the time she was under the influence of thiopental, one of her employees walked it. She was a young woman in her late twenties and she was carrying a tray.

“Taro-san, it is good to see you back. I have brought you your tea and newspapers.”

“Thank you Suki.” Hiromi replied back. Suki then gave her boss three newspapers, The Asian Wall Street Journal, The International Herald Tribune, and lastly The Mainichi Daily News. After that Hiromi’s tea was poured.

As a financial advisor, Hiromi would have to be up to date on both financial news and world events. Not long after settling in, Hiromi turned a television set on in her room. Its volume turned down low, and its channel set to CNBC Asia.

“Anything else you need now?”

“No nothing Suki.”

After bowing to Hiromi, Suki left the room. As she did, Hiromi watched the young woman carefully. Suki’s name had appeared on her lips as freely as if Hiromi had known the tea server for years.

Which in reality, Hiromi had but in another life. The tea server’s name, was Suki Kobayashi, the first girl to ever share a kiss with Tom Slater.
 

~*~

 
As Hiromi got settled into the office, she found out just how acquainted she was with the Yakuza family she was now a part of. The financial reports, were monthly statements on the receipts and expenses for every business Goro Watanabe had a piece of. Reading and evaluating these took time. While doing this, Hiromi took notes so in order to make her report to Goro.

The more Hiromi worked that day, the more at ease she felt in her surroundings. Employees came in to consult with her, or give reports. Each time Hiromi feeling like she had been there before, and the answers she needed to give coming like she had done this all her life.

All of this Hiromi considered good news. This would have been a suicide mission without the real Hiromi’s inside info. It did occur to her, had the Army or bureau known she would get these memories all along?

During the day Hiromi had phone calls to answer and some calls to make herself. Suki came in at a little after 4 p.m. to give her boss a message along with some more tea.

Meeting at 11 a.m. tomorrow, Tuesday. Will you be in attendance?

The message was signed by Chokichi Sato, Vice-President Kanagawa Bank.

Hiromi checked the financial reports she received that day, one was there from the bank. So Goro Watanabe had a stake in that financial institution. That meant Hiromi should attend the next day’s meeting.

Picking up her desk phone, Hiromi buzzed her secretary. “Aki, please call Mr. Sato at Kanagawa Bank. Tell him I will be at tomorrow’s meeting.”

“Yes Sato-san. I’ll do that at once.”

Later on, Hiromi got to check her email account. It was the usual collection of spam mail, a lot of good viagra and penis enlargement would do her now, plus at least fifty business related mail. Hiromi decided she would let Aki Yomura, her personal assistant and secretary, go through these email and sort them out in order of importance.

There was one email titled Hi. Curious as to what this was, Hiromi opened it.

I get back to Yokohama Wednesday night. See you soon.

C

‘Who is C?’ Hiromi asked herself. That part of her acquired memory was at a loss for this bit of info. With more work to do than she had hours in the day, Hiromi moved on other matters.

Hiromi called it a day shortly before 7 p.m. Tuesday would be another day, and actually a very important one so far as Swan Song went.

It took Hiromi around forty minutes to get to the apartment building she first saw during her scouting trip to Yokohama with Gabrielle. A private elevator took Hiromi and her goon squad up to the forty-fourth floor or just one below the penthouse.

Coming out of the elevator one stepped into a small reception area. More men were positioned here, one of who held a door open for Hiromi to pass through.

On the other side the doorway were even more guards lining a wide hallway, a large apartment being on either side of it. Hiromi walked toward the main door on the hallway’s left.

“Anything else you need tonight boss?” Roger Hyde asked.

“No, nothing.”

“See you at the usual time boss,” Roger said as he held the door open for Hiromi. “Have a good night.”

Hiromi took, her shoes off and put slippers on instead as soon as she was in the apartment. Feeling starved after a long day at work, Hiromi wondered what she would do for dinner.

Preparing dinner for herself was something Hiromi need not worry about. Someone had beaten her to it.

“Good evening Miss Sato,” Said an Asian woman who wasn’t Japanese. “Please be seated, I’ll have dinner for you in a few minutes.”

“Thank you Juanita.” Hiromi replied back as she took a seat. The real Hiromi’s memories were again coming to the rescue. Juanita Perez, a native of the Philippines, was Hiromi’s cook/housekeeper.

“Juice or wine tonight?”

“Juice please.”

Hiromi was served some Japanese seafood dish, along with salad and a glass of freshly squeezed Orange Juice. The fish was quite delicious.

After finishing her meal, Hiromi got up. She wanted to check out the apartment.

“Anything else you need tonight Miss Sato?”

“No Juanita, I won’t be needing you anymore.”

Hiromi had already seen the center of the apartment, the large living room combination sitting room/dining area, which had large draped windows one could look on high at the City of Yokohama below and in the distance..

The master bedroom was the next room for Hiromi to survey. It was.....well a bedroom. There was a bathroom next to it and a large walk-in closet. Hiromi was hardly surprised by the large amounts of female clothing, shoes and accessories she now owned. Having something appropriate to wears on any given day was not a problem for Hiromi

On the other side of the apartment were three rooms. Two of the rooms were smaller bedrooms, one of which doubled as a study. If Hiromi had work to do at home, this room was where she would do it.

The fourth room was an exercise room. In there were a treadmill, stationary bike and weight bench. In addition to all of this, the apartment had a high tech sound system, with speakers in each room. From any room, Hiromi could hear and experience music like few others on the planet Earth.

Hiromi had seen enough, so she retired to the bedroom and prepared a bath for herself. She was living in luxury but extreme danger at the same time. A few months of the former wouldn’t compensate for ending up dead, if Hiromi was ever unmasked.

Before going to bed, Hiromi spent time reading that day’s newspapers (She hadn’t had time for this earlier in the day) while listening to music. Just before going to sleep, Hiromi looked out her bedroom windows at Negishi Bay. Hiromi contemplating not just what lay ahead for her in the days ahead but where a friend was right then.

“I miss you Gabrielle Tanaka.”
 

~*~

 
Tuesday began for Hiromi when her alarm clock went off at 5:45. As soon as the sleep was shaken from her head, Hiromi began an exercise routine not all that dissimilar to one done by Tom Slater: Sit-ups and push-ups but in smaller amounts. Then fifteen minutes on the treadmill in place of Captain Slater’s morning jog.

After that, Hiromi showered, dressed, and made up for the day. Hiromi had long ago decided to make a few ‘improvements’ on her new appearance. One being a drastic reduction in the eye makeup she wore. Not wanting to draw attention or suspicion, Hiromi would gradually make her planned changes.

With a Bank board meeting to attend, Hiromi dressed appropriately for that day. A pin stripped skirt and white blouse without ruffles plus a knee length skirt. On Hiromi’s feet were two-inch Salvatore Ferragamo pumps.

Hiromi came out for breakfast a few minutes before 7:15. Not surprisingly, Juanita was waiting for employer. As soon as Hiromi was seated, Juanita poured a cup of coffee.

It was an exceptional cup of Java, Hiromi quickly concluded as she began to read the morning headlines. A few moments later, a bowl of oatmeal was served to her.

While Hiromi was finishing of her coffee, Roger Hyde came into the apartment.“Boss, what’s the plan for today?”

“My car.”

“We’re ready whenever you are.”

Hiromi left the apartment five minutes later. Roger, Kimo, and Yuri joining their boss for the elevator ride down to the parking garage.

The previous night, Hiromi had gotten a glimpse of ‘my car’. A yellow 2006 Nissan Fairlady. It was parked three spaces away from the elevators. For the ride into the office, Reina Shimizu back from Kushiro after taking the plane reservation meant for her boss, would be accompanying Hiromi. The rest of her protection team would be in a trailing car.

“Good morning Taro-san.” Reina said with a bow of acknowledgment to her boss. The two women then climbed into the car and drove off.

Hiromi had little time to waste on Tuesday morning, therefore she delayed beginning Phase VI of Swan Song. This did not go unnoticed either in parts of Japan or the United States.

For her bank meeting, Hiromi had familiarized herself as much as possible with Kanagawa Bank. What she learned, intrigued Hiromi.

Kanagawa Bank had been in business a little over a century. Today it was still owned in part by descendants of its original owner, Wataro Kurosawa. The bank was well connected in Japan, both through its support of various political candidates and because a member of Japan’s Royal family had once acknowledged he did all his business with Kanagawa. That kind of endorsement does wonders with the Japanese people.

As Japan emerged as an economic power, Kanagawa changed. While it still provided traditional banking services, it moved into other financial services like the stock brokerage business. Kanagawa also became a significant Asian player in the business of Currency trading.

The last almost proved to be Kanagawa’s undoing. In 1997, financial markets across Asia were rocked when Thai government’s decision to float their currency, the baht. This had ripple effects throughout the region. Japan maybe more than others, because the country was in recession at the time.

Kanagawa Bank, caught moving the wrong way in its currency holdings, was soon in a dire crisis. Not just because of the financial crisis, but because one Kurosawa family member had been misusing large sums of Japanese yen belonging to the bank. Almost all spent on extravagant living, and this combined with the bank’s other problems, had left Kanagawa on the brink of collapse.

That’s when Keiji Watanabe stepped in. To save their bank, plus face which in Asian culture matters greatly, the Kurosawa family allowed the Yakuza head to buy a secret majority share of the bank. Kanagawa after some revamping and a overhaul of management, had become a major cash cow for the Watanabes and a conduit for the crime family to launder its money.

What Hiromi discovered on Tuesday was, she was the largest stockholder of Kanagawa.(To cover their tracks, Hiromi and the Watanabes used holding companies to avoid showing a direction connection to Kanagawa. However these were all owned by Hiromi) Had been since the Watanabes bailed the bank out in 1998. The bank a toy or present from Keiji Watanabe to his beloved granddaughter.

Bottom line - Hiromi Sato was one very wealthy woman, wealth meant power, not that Hiromi didn’t wield plenty of that in her work for Goro Watanabe. She wasn’t a glorified bookkeeper, that was for certain.

The bank meeting was long and tedious. Things like audits, an upcoming stockholder meeting, the possible purchase of a Hong Kong based bank and other matters were discussed. About halfway through the meeting, those in attendance broke for an hour lunch.

This and her work for Goro Watanabe put Hiromi further behind schedule. Phase VI of Swan Song would have to wait. With her life at stake, Hiromi wanted to do it at a time she was the least distracted.
 

~*~

 
The delayed implementation of Swan Song’s Phase VI, as already noted, had not gone unnoticed. Deputy FBI Director Williamson therefore called a meeting to discuss it. It was Wednesday morning East coast time or almost midnight in Japan Wednesday night/Thursday morning

“Theories on why Ripley hasn’t begun the next phase?” Deputy Williamson asked.

Gabrielle was at the meeting via conference call. She was in New York City, readying to testify in federal court involving the trial of a Vietnamese-American gang involved with the selling of narcotics in the boroughs of Brooklyn and Staten Island.

“Operational Security.” Was Gabrielle’s answer to Deputy Williamson’s question.

“Elaborate Agent Tanaka.”

Gabrielle did just that. “We should expect her to be cautious, because of the dangers involved.”
“Yes but Ripley has been in place three days already. She should have had the time by now.” Deputy Director Williamson stated and Major Hollins concurred. “If Phase VI isn’t started by say Monday, we may have to make contact with Chrysanthemum in order to find out what the delay is for.”

Again Gabrielle had to hide her annoyance. Almost everyone but her was being impatient, but it wasn’t their life on the line. All personal feelings aside, Gabrielle felt certain Tom Slater had to have a good reason for not starting Swan Song’s Phase VI yet.

At least Inspector Yoshida was on Ripley’s side. Well sort of. “Contacting Agent Chrysanthemum is risky for both that agent and for Ripley. I would only advise such action when absolutely necessary only. We can always make contact if necessary.”

Gabrielle added. “Besides Ripley has been sighted each of the last two days.”

In the end The Swan Song committee took no action. The meeting did confirm again that Captain Slater was considered expendable by almost everyone involved with Swan Song. That is except for Gabrielle Tanaka.
 

~*~

 
Not long after getting the body of Hiromi Sato, Tom Slater learned how heavy a sleeper she had become. Take for instance alarm clocks, if not set to maximum volume and preferably a heavy metal rock radio station, they may not cause Hiromi to do anything more than roll over. When extremely tired, like she was after first taking the real Hiromi’s place, Ripley was even more of a heavy sleeper.

So when someone entered the apartment, showered, changed into pajamas and then climbed into bed aside her, Hiromi heard or noticed nothing. That was until a scratchy face firmly planted a kiss just below her left ear.

“Kimi-chan! Modotta-yo! Aishiteru ne?” Hey, Baby I’m back! I love you, y’know?

Hiromi’s eyes opened wide as the man kissed her again on the neck. Spinning herself around, Hiromi quickly found herself in the arms of a very tall man. The dimly lit bedroom made it hard to see the person’s features.

The guy then pressed his lips against Hiromi’s lips. Everything Tom Slater was began to revolt at what was happening, even as Hiromi Sato began to kiss back.

That wasn’t all. The man’s erect penis was pressing against Hiromi. At the same time Hiromi was feeling very warm and or tingly in her genitalia.

Even in this moment of passion, memories came flooding into Hiromi’s mind. Now she knew who the mysterious C was. His name was Charles or Chuck McBride, and he was Hiromi’s live-in gaijin boyfriend. Chuck originally being from Australia.

“Chuck?”

“Yes my little sports car?” Chuck asked between kisses. “Sorry if I surprised you.”

Hiromi lied. “No....no you didn’t. I was....I am so tired.”

“Ok love. You been busy since getting back?”

“Yes very busy.”

“I’ll let you go to sleep then,” Charles said before kissing Hiromi one last time before releasing her from his grasp. “We’ll chat in the morning.”

Hiromi turned back on her side, facing away from Chuck. Not surprisingly, she had problems falling back to sleep. The possibility of Hiromi having a live-in boyfriend was never mentioned in the preparation phase of Swan Song.

This would certainly complicate things. That was the understatement of the century Hiromi felt as she fell off to sleep.

The bedside alarm went off at 5:45 as it did every morning. Hiromi sat up in bed but wasn’t feeling terribly refreshed. As she made her way to the bathroom, Chuck called out.

“I’ll be up shortly Baby.”

‘He’s going to want to fuck me tonight. What the hell do I do then?’ Hiromi asked herself as she sat to pee. Could she make up a reason to abort Swan Song? Agent Chrysanthemum still hadn’t made contact with Hiromi. Who was he or she? Could it even be Chuck?

Before leaving the bathroom, Hiromi took one of her prescription medication. Now these even made sense, Hiromi bet they were birth control pills. Sure enough, an internet search confirmed it later during the day.

Hiromi tried to distract herself from all these thoughts when she arrived in the exercise room. It was when she walked in the room that a bit of the real Hiromi’s memory popped into her mind. A check of that room’s closet showed men’s clothes hanging up. Now Hiromi knew where Chuck’s things were and why they hadn’t been in the master bedroom.

Chuck came in the room while Hiromi was in the middle of doing some sit-ups. That’s when Hiromi got her first good luck at Chuck. He was a tall muscular man. Probably 6'4 or even 6'5, Chuck had wavy hair that was very blonde, like that of pro golfer Greg Norman when he was younger. His eyes were a sparkling shade of blue.

As Hiromi continued with her sit-ups, Chuck hovered over her. “Trying a new workout routine?”

“Thought I’d do something different.” Hiromi said as she finished counting off to twenty-five. Being done with this particular exercise, Hiromi scrambled to get to her feet. That’s when she got a helping hand from Chuck.

Chuck pulled Hiromi to her feet and took his girlfriend in his arms. The two of them instantly began to kiss.

“I’m so glad my little sports car is back.” Chuck said as he squeezed Hiromi tight to his body. All of the same responses and feelings were happening again like the night before. Chuck’s penis was erect and pointing at his girlfriend. Hiromi’s genitalia were warm and moist at the same time her nipples were hardening.

“Glad to see you too.” Hiromi replied back. She was trying to act like the loving girlfriend of this strong giant of a man. The top of Hiromi’s head not coming anywhere close to Chuck’s neck.

Chuck and Hiromi kissed again. Then when it was over, Hiromi smiled. “I will take you for ride tonight.”

“I look forward to it.” Chuck said with an evil grin on his face. At the same time Hiromi was asking what had gotten into her. ‘You just promised to let this guy screw you!’

Hiromi then did the treadmill, while Chuck used the weight bench. That piece of exercise equipment was entirely for Chuck’s use. After their workouts were done, Hiromi and Chuck went to the bedroom.

When they got in the room, Chuck wasted no time in stripping his clothes off. Hiromi had gotten her first glimpse of Chuck naked, but from the rear.

“Going to join me?” Chuck said turning slightly around. Hiromi had a clear view of his penis, which was still very erect.

Whereas Tom Slater would have diverted his eyes from another man’s privates, Hiromi’s eyes focused on her boyfriend’s organ. It was a very impressive one, if Hiromi’s bodily reactions were any guide. “I’ll be in shortly.”

“See you there.”

Hiromi was in the shower with Chuck a minute later. While she washed herself entirely, Chuck asked for his girlfriend to wash his back. That and the tight confines of the shower created a lot of sexual attention.

After the shower, both Hiromi and Chuck got ready for work. Chuck of course getting done first, Hiromi still having her hair and makeup to fix. This she did at a makeup table in the master bedroom.

“I’m going outside. Don’t take long” Chuck said as he bent down to kiss Hiromi. Then he left the bedroom. Though it required her turning her head, Hiromi watched carefully as 15-17 stone of strong Australian male muscle left the room. Of particular interest to Hiromi, was Chuck’s buttocks.

Hiromi shook her head. ‘Stop that, you’re starting to think like a woman or the real Hiromi. What is getting into Tom Slater?’ Then Hiromi went about finishing her makeup, not noticing she paid even more care to it that day than the days before.

Chuck’s eyes went wide when he saw Hiromi emerge from the bedroom. “You look fantastic.”

Hiromi came right over and allowed the man a kiss. “Thank you.”

“That’s one of my favorite dresses of yours. What’s the color again?”

Hiromi answered a moment after she took a seat at the table across from Chuck. The morning newspapers were already there and Juanita was readying to pour her employer coffee. “Coral.”

“That’s it! You look smashing in it… always have.”

“Thank you.”

Roger came in during breakfast in order to touch base with his boss. Hiromi would definitely be taking the car today; she’d be dropping Chuck at work on the way in to the office.

Where was Chuck’s work? He worked the Chinese trading desk at Kanagawa Bank. While Australian by birth, Chuck had lived much of his early life in Hong Kong. There Chuck learned to speak good Cantonese and fair Mandarin.

In spite of five years living in Japan, Chuck’s Japanese was average at best. Not that he ever had any problem communicating with Hiromi.

After their meals were finished, Chuck and Hiromi went back to the bathroom to brush their teeth before leaving. Five minute later, with Hiromi behind the wheel of the Fairlady and with Chuck in the front left passenger seat, the couple was speeding their way towards Yokohama’s financial district.

It didn’t take long to learn why Chuck affectionately called Hiromi his little sports car. Her driving, which included a heavy foot when using the accelerator, made the Australian very nervous.

“Same old Hiromi. Haven’t changed one bit.” Chuck chuckled as he held on for life and limb.

“You like it when I drive you fast?” Hiromi replied back. “Ride, fast, Sportscar? My little sports car?” Hiromi thought. “All of this was adding up to Chuck’s pet name for his girlfriend.”

“Only so far as it gets us to work faster.” Chuck said as a grin began to form on his face. “If I didn’t love you so much, I’d take public transport before getting in a car with you.”

“Look what fun you’d miss then.”

“If you call having a heart attack fun.”

Chuck talked to Hiromi about his recent trip. While Hiromi Sato took the festival of Bon to return to her old home in Northern Japan, Chuck went to visit his mother in Australia. Mrs. McBride was sixty-one-years old, widowed, and lived in Alice Springs now.

“Mum says hello.”

“How is she?”

“Good. Mum asks if you plan to visit again anytime soon. She is so looking forward to it.”

Now the reason for the real Hiromi’s trip to Australia the previous January became known. “It is too early to tell yet, but I’ll try.”

This answer pleased Chuck, but in reality Hiromi was thinking the opposite. Tom Slater didn’t want a boyfriend, or anything to do with meeting the man’s mother. Who knows? This guy may have marriage on his mind? That wasn’t in any of the Swan Song briefings Hiromi received.

Just before they got to the bank, Charles came up with a good question. “Will you be bringing me home tonight or should I make other plans?”

Hiromi had a long day ahead of her. Most of it was spent preparing for the next day’s financial meeting with Goro Watanabe. “You better make other arrangements. I don’t know when I’ll be finished today.”

“No problem.”

A few minutes later, Hiromi pulled up outside the bank. “This is where I get off. Bye love, talk to you later.” Chuck said to Hiromi before kissing her on the cheek.

As Hiromi drove off, she realized she had forgotten something that morning. It was the things she needed for Swan Song’s Phase VI. Being so distracted by the presence of Chuck that morning, Hiromi had totally forgotten the computer disks.

‘The Swan Song committee is probably going apeshit right now because of the delay. Screw them, I got bigger problems. One REALLY BIG problem’ Hiromi thought to herself as she continued driving to her office.
 

~*~

 
Hiromi got a visitor at the office a little after 11:30 that morning. Suki Kobayashi tried to announce him.

“Sato-san, you say you don’t want to be disturbed but....” Suki Kobayashi began saying till someone spun her in the air like some ballet move. Once her feet were firmly back on the ground again, Suki ‘the ballerina’ made a hasty exit from Hiromi’s office.

Hiromi’s visitor was no ballet dancer. It was Dai Hashimoto, another of Goro Watanabe’s Saiko-komon. The short, squat, sumo wrestler like man, was even scarier looking in person than the pictures Hiromi had seen as part of her Swan Song briefing. If Hiromi Sato was the CFO to Goro, Dai was the Oyabun’s military advisor. In other words, Dai represented the muscle end of the family.

“Hiromi-san,” Dai said with a bow to his fellow Saiko-komon. “I need to talk to you.”

Dai made Hiromi feel very nervous. The Saiko-komon had this effect on people. “I always have time for you Dai-san. What brings you here?”

“You are preparing financial statements.” Dai said, not asked. The Saiko-Komon took a seat across from Hiromi.

“Yes I am. They are for tomorrow’s meeting with Oyabun. You will be there?”

“Yes Hiromi-san. I will be there.”

Dai got right down to business. He owned a piece of six clubs and businesses that were also Watanabe property. The Saiko-komon seemed particularly interested in how these were doing.

In order to make it easier to explain, Hiromi had the relevant data printed so in order to show Dai. “Receipts, as you can see, are up at these four clubs, while at the same time, expenses are either stable or slightly down.”

“The others?”

Hiromi pointed these ones out also. “Here. These receipts are slightly down while expenses are level or the slightly higher.”

The Saiko-komon stared at the printout for the longest period of time. If Hiromi had to hazard a guess, it was that Dai wasn’t very astute when it came to financial matters. Maybe that accounted for today’s meeting.

“Someone maybe stealing from us there?”

“I see nothing to prove it. Do you know anything?”

“No.” Dai replied back immediately.

Tom Slater was a fan of old television detective dramas. Most of which presented a simple theme. That there was no honor among thieves.

That went for the Watanabe Yakuza also. Money illegally earned, could have a way of disappearing. There was nothing to show that at present, maybe Dai was being a little paranoid. He was the family’s enforcer; suspicion probably came natural to the man.

“I could look into this more, if you wish.” As part of Hiromi’s work, she had random unannounced audits done on any and all businesses that were part of the Watanabe Yakuza. A quick check of her computer showed this nightclub, that catered to US military personnel in Yokohama, had last been audited seventeen months ago.

“Please do that Hiromi-san. I think we have a thief there.”

“I’ll begin in an audit within two weeks. Is that acceptable?”

Dai remained sitting in his chair, looking more and more edgy with every passing second. Finally Dai got up to leave. “Yes it is. Thank you for seeing me Hiromi-san. I will go now.”

‘Thank God, that’s over.’ Hiromi thought as she watched Dai Hashimoto leave the room. The Saiko-komon gave her the creeps.
 

~*~

 
The rest of Thursday and Friday were long days for Hiromi. She had so much to do in order to prepare for Friday’s meeting. Not getting back to the apartment till 1 am Friday morning had thrown everything off and had left her very little time in which to prepare. She then returned to the office at 7:30 the following morning. Hiromi skipping her morning exercise routine even.

Chuck was fast asleep when his girlfriend arrived home late Thursday night. He barely stirring as Hiromi tiptoed around the bedroom as she got ready for bed.

While in reality she was an Army Captain who was used to hard work and long hours, Hiromi still felt fatigued - not physically, but mentally. By the time she left the office to go to dinner on Friday night, Hiromi would have been the first to admit she was physically exhausted. A trip to the ladies room and a look in the mirror told Hiromi all she needed to know.

The financial meeting went well. In attendance were Goro Watanabe, Dai Hashimoto, and the family’s most senior shareigashiras. They were a surprisingly young group, only one looking to be anywhere near forty years of age and at least one who couldn’t be much more than twenty-five years of age. She was also female - her name Ryuku Kinjoh.

Keiji Watanabe wasn’t in attendance. As time passed, Hiromi would learn the retired Oyabun rarely came to Yokohama. The other 44th floor apartment at Negishi Bay Towers was rarely used by Keiji. That didn’t mean the elder Watanabe didn’t wield considerable influence in the family he once headed.

For the meeting Hiromi and her team, Yuka Kawamura and Ryoji Ishii, presented detailed summaries on all of the major Watanabe business holdings. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Hiromi’s final conclusion- Business was good but there was always room for improvement. If the nodding of Goro Watanabe’s head was any indication, the Oyabun seemed pleased with Hiromi and her team’s work.

After the financial presentation was over, lunch was served. Yuka Kawamura and Ryoji Ishii left at this time and Hiromi planned to do the same. At least she had planned to, until Goro intercepted her.

“Hiromi I want you to stay. There is still much to discuss.”

“As you wish Oyabun-san.”

Goro didn’t like to talk business over meals, so discussions in the room only ranged from politics to sport. Hiromi ate her meal and didn’t take talk in the conversations. Instead, she surveyed the room, asking herself if Agent Chrysanthemum was present.

Hiromi knew Chrysanthemum would approach her, not vice versa. This had been made clear to her in the briefings. That didn’t stop Hiromi from wondering who it could be. One of the shareigashiras? An employee at Kanagawa Bank or Watanabe trucking? Even possibly Suki Kobayashi? Or was it someone else? Hiromi didn’t consider it impossible that Chrysanthemum was Charles McBride. For whoever it was, they knew a lot of inside dope on Hiromi and the Watanabes.

After lunch was over, Goro called the meeting back to order. It was time to discuss the nuts of bolts of running a Yakuza family. Here Hiromi got not just inside dope on the dirty dealings of the Goro Watanabe Empire, but learned about its internal politics.

Six years earlier a Yakuza war broke out being the Watanabes and a neighboring Yakuza, the Inagawa-kaí run by Kakuji Inagawa. The war was short but bloody, Oyabun in waiting Hideki Watanabe had been among its casualties, and today some of those at the meeting were still smarting from what had happened in 2001-2002 - Particularly Dai Hashimoto. He saw recent losses in some of the Watanabe’s business holdings as directly attributable to poaching by the Inagawa-kaí. Dai thought a message should be sent to these Yakuza.

“The Inagawa are moving into Seya-ku.” Dai said. Seya-ku was one of Yokohama’s eighteen wards. “We cannot allow it.”

“Do we have proof for this?” Goro said.

Dai mentioned sightings of people known to work for the Inagawa-kai. However none of these were seen by Dai himself. “No but I believe my sources.”

None of the shareigashiras said anything to contradict Dai. Hiromi wasn’t surprised. Few people would want to get cross with the powerful and dangerous Saiko-komon.

“I think Hashimoto-san is right.” One of the shareigashiras said.

“If we allow the Inagawa-kaí a foot hold within Seya-ku, they won’t just stop there. All our holdings will be at risk.”

Goro wasn’t buying this. “I spoke to Kakuji Inagawa just recently. He would not do what you are saying.”

Looking over at her fellow Saiko-komon, Hiromi didn’t think Dai believed a word Goro said. Dai didn’t challenge the Oyabun any further. That battle being put off to another day.

Other discussions included smuggling, dope dealing, and suggestions how to make these aspects of the Watanabe Yakuza work better. Hiromi was occasionally asked by Goro for her financial counsel and she gave it. Based on this and other counsel, Goro made some decisions right there at the meeting, others were deferred for further study.

The meeting dragged on till a little past four p.m. before breaking up. After everyone was gone, Goro spoke to Hiromi. “What is your opinion in regards to the Inagawa-kaí at this moment?

“I think Dai-san is mistaken. These are just innocent happenings or coincidence.”

Goro nodded. “Hiromi-chan I agree. Dai seems to forget it was the Inagawa-kaí who tipped us to a Yokohoma police raid last month. Kakuji Inagawa and our business interests do overlap sometimes.”

“Yes they do.”

Goro then checked a legal pad he had brought to the meeting. As if the Oyabun was checking if there was anything else to bring up. “I won’t keep you any longer Hiromi-chan. You did an excellent job today.”

“Thank you Goro-san.” Hiromi said with a bow. She then left the room.
 

~*~

 
The Yakuza meeting may have been over, but Hiromi still had work to do. She went straight from the meeting to her office at Kanagawa Bank. There she had some urgent catching up to do in regards to an upcoming audit.

Hiromi didn’t call it quits for the day till 7:30 p.m. Rather than go home directly, Hiromi and her goon squad went to Yokohoma’s finest seafood restaurant. There Hiromi had a quiet and pleasant dinner in a private room in spite of a headache that caused her to take two Tylenol soon after entering the establishment.

After dinner, Hiromi went to her apartment. The first thing she did on arrival was start a warm bath. Chuck wasn’t home yet. He had gone out with some friends after work was through for the day.

Hiromi hadn’t been in the tub a minute, when she heard someone in the apartment. It was Chuck. He was now home for the night.

“I’m in the bathroom.” Hiromi called out.

Chuck was in the bathroom seconds later. He announced his presence by bending down to kiss Hiromi. “Kimi-chan, how was your day?”

“Long and tiring.”

“Mind if I join you?”

“Not at all.” Hiromi replied back. There certainly was enough room for two in the large marble bath tub.

In a few moments Chuck was naked and hovering over Hiromi. He motioned for his girlfriend to move a little forward in the tub, which Hiromi did. When that was done, Chuck sat down in the tub directly behind his girlfriend, his legs spread wide.

The second he was settled in, Chuck said. “I know what you need?”

Hiromi could feel Chuck’s large erect penis pressing against her. “What’s that?”

“A massage.” Without saying another word, Chuck began massaging Hiromi’s neck.

The massage she was getting felt real good to Hiromi. Chuck’s fingers expertly releasing the tension in his girlfriend’s body. While he did this, Hiromi continued to bath herself.

Captain Slater had only been living the life of Hiromi Sato a few days, but she was beginning to act in some ways like the real woman. Hiromi began to notice how she acted in ways only a woman would, rather than the man she really was: like paying attention to clothing and fashion, and not to mention how she behaved around Chuck.

None of this was necessarily bad, but it was awkward or strange to say the least. Like right there in the bath tub. Hiromi on the physical level was enjoying the presence of Chuck. She was feeling so sexually aroused. This at the same time that the part of Captain Slater inside of Hiromi felt revulsion at what would soon be expected from her.

Hiromi and Chuck took turns washing each other. Between the warm bath and her boyfriend’s massages, Hiromi felt very relaxed as she climbed out of the tub. After drying themselves off, Hiromi and Chuck put on bathrobes and went out to the living room. There they watched some television for almost an hour.

“What’s the plan for tomorrow? Chuck asked. “We never had a chance to talk last night or this morning.”

“I got to go into the office. Do you mind?”

Chuck held Hiromi a little tighter. He was a very strong man. “No baby, I just wished you didn’t work so hard.”

“Goro and Dai have work for me to do. I was gone too for so long. Work just piled up”

“I know, but I miss you.” Chuck said before kissing Hiromi. “Guess I will see if one of my friends wants to play handball with me in the morning.”

“Don’t worry. I won’t work too long tomorrow. I’ll come home by 5:00. Sunday we’ll have the entire day to ourselves.”

When the news was finished, Chuck got up and stretched. “I don’t know about you, but I’m tired.”

“Me too. Time to go to bed!” Hiromi replied. Then with a helping hand from Chuck, Hiromi rose from the couch. They then went in the bedroom.

Hiromi already knew Chuck’s preferred way to sleep. In the buff, that’s if the weather was warm, which it was in Japan at the time. Summer had not ended yet.

With her boyfriend already out of his bathrobe, Hiromi took hers off also. She then climbed into bed next to where Chuck was already sprawled. As soon as she was near, Chuck put an arm around Hiromi.

Chuck was flat on his back with Hiromi lying next to him with her left arm tucked underneath him. As Hiromi did this, she became even more sexually aroused. Her body was craving something very badly at the moment. Hiromi Sato felt that she was very a woman at that moment.

Taking her right hand, Hiromi began to handle Chuck’s penis. “He’s so big.”

“You missed him?”

Hiromi giggled. “I missed your stick. Let me take you for a ride.”

Neither Hiromi nor Chuck wasted any time on foreplay. Hiromi rolled flat on her back, with her legs spread wide. Chuck then slid on top of her. A few moments later the Australian penetrated his girlfriend with his penis.

Later, Hiromi would understand the double meaning of Chuck’s pet name for her, ‘his little sports car.’ For the time being, Hiromi exhorted her boyfriend to make love to her. She craved his penis to stroke her insides. With every passing moment Hiromi and Chuck grew more aroused.

Somehow, nothing felt gross about the Chuck’s lovemaking. She was a woman with raging hormones who needed some manly love. Hiromi Sato was all female and desired to be no other place than here with her gaijin boyfriend.

Hiromi grew more and more aroused, her breathing becoming labored. At the same time Chuck’s penis began to pulsate and then explode within her. Hiromi’s body was quivering from head to toe as she moaned and gasped at the intenseness it had been.

Both were spent afterwards. Chuck’s penis soon fell out of Hiromi. Then couple assumed the same positions they had before they began their lovemaking session.

“You enjoyed it? Chuck asked.

“Yes! I like your stick.” Hiromi said with a giggle. Her hand was again touching Chuck’s penis, playing with it.

My little sportscar - Hiromi had taken Chuck for a ride and used his stick(shift/shaft) to drive very fast. It was all a bit perverted, but still an apt nickname.

Not long afterwards, Hiromi fell asleep. Captain Slater had re-emerged by then, feeling repulsed by what she had just done. She knew she had no choice if Swan Song would have any chance of succeeding. How many more times would Tom have to please Chuck before completing this mission?
 

~*~

 
Having finished testifying at trial in New York, Gabrielle returned to the cubicle she had at the Hoover building in Washington D.C. late on Friday afternoon local time. One of the first things she did was check her email.

Other than the case now on trial in New York, Gabrielle was only working on Swan Song at present. In her email account that day were seventeen email, the FBI agent having not opened her mail since arriving back in the USA. Most of the emails came from addresses and people she knew, that is except for one. It was dated three days earlier. Using her mouse, Gabrielle clicked on the email to open it.

The email wasn’t addressed to Gabrielle but to Major Hollins. It appeared a blind carbon copy email had been sent to Gabrielle by mistake. The email contained many previous back and forth messages between its sender and Major Hollins. Most were pretty innocuous or about details concerning Swan Song that Gabrielle fully knew about.

However there was one interesting message in the lengthy email. It was dated almost two weeks earlier.
 

~*~

 
Sir,

Owl was terminated as per your instructions.

1LT DW Connors
 

~*~

 
Gabrielle read the email again. Who was 1LT DW Connors and who or what was Owl?
 
~*~

 
As Saturday began, Hiromi was trying hard not to think of Friday night and what had happened between her and Chuck. It was time now to begin Phase VI of Swan Song. As she drove into the office, Hiromi thought that maybe the delay worked in her favor. There would be fewer people around the office, and less chance of being caught.

The offices of Watanabe Trucking are thinly staffed on weekends. Suki Kobayashi was off that day, and so was Hiromi’s secretary. Hiromi wouldn’t be needing either of them. If she needed food or drink there was always her bodyguard Yuri, or Hiromi could get it herself.

Once in the office and after turning on her computer, Hiromi took a Compact Disc out of her purse. The case had been opened previously by Hiromi. Once her PC was warmed up, Hiromi inserted the disk in the CD drive.

At the same time a screen prompt appeared. ‘Do you wish to install?’ Hiromi, using her mouse, clicked on yes. Within seconds, the sound of a popular Japanese singer could be heard on the PC’s speakers.

‘That was easy.’ Hiromi thought to herself. If what the computer technician had taught her in Japan was true, Hiromi had just started Phase VI. There would be at least five more computers for Hiromi to repeat this process on.

At the same time the music began, a binary code written on the compact disc, uploaded itself onto the PC. Nothing happening at the moment, Hiromi went about her work like she always did. When the music had stopped playing, she would put the compact disc up with the rest of the music collection Hiromi kept in her office. No one would be the wiser.

As she had promised to Chuck, Hiromi got off of work by 5 p.m. Actually finishing a little after four. After a call to her boyfriend, Hiromi rendezvoused with Chuck in Central Yokohama. They’d spend the rest of that afternoon and early evening either walking from shop to shop, having dinner together, or going to a popular entertainment club that catered to people in their twenties.

Before the night was over, Hiromi was in Chuck’s arms again and the two were again making love. The end result just was pleasing to Hiromi as had the previous night.
 

~*~

 
Four hours after Hiromi turned off her computer and left the office, the computer software she installed kicked into action.

The program first searched for every data file on the computer, when they were found, an index was made of them. Then compressing it all into a innocent looking file. Only a computer expert doing a discreet search would ever locate it. With Hiromi’s high standing in the Watanabe family, this wasn’t likely to happen.

Once the file was completed, the program began its next step. Whereas the PC was in all appearances asleep, it quietly came to life. Without making a sound, the machine’s modem dialed a local Yokohama number. Once the connection was made, the file was transmitted.

After this was over, the computer would go back to sleep. The program noting the file it sent and in the future only making indexes of newly created files or updated ones - always transmitting updates long after business was through for the day at whatever office the computer was located.

Where the file was transmitted to was an apartment in Aoba-ku, one of Yokohama’s wards. The apartment was rented by a single man in his thirties working in the cities’ financial district. It was in reality a safe house run by the FBI in co-operation with the Yokohama police.

The file from Watanabe trucking was downloaded to the PC in Aoba-ku. When the owner of that machine next turned it on, he would be alerted to what had taken place. Phase VI had begun, the Swan Song committee would soon get the good news.
 

~*~

 
Sunday was an off day for Hiromi. She spent the day doing little if anything in particular: Handball with Chuck in the morning, shopping in the afternoon, lovemaking with Chuck in the evening. Again, the end result was the same.

“God, I am a horny bitch!” Hiromi exclaimed out loud Monday morning after letting Chuck off at the bank.

After four straight nights in a row of lovemaking, Hiromi and Chuck took a breather. It wasn’t a matter of choice, but rather a result of Hiromi’s work. She had to make a trip to Zama for parts of three days.

On her first day in Zama, Hiromi’s menses arrived. She was glad for that, this told her the birth control pills worked. The alternative was something Captain Slater did not even want to contemplate.

The city of Zama is home to the US Army base that bears its name. It had been 17 years almost to the day since Tom Slater’s last visit. In the interim, the city had grown by leaps and bounds and changed tremendously.

As part of Hiromi’s work for the Watanabe Yakuza, she did periodic unannounced spot checks on businesses the family owned. Hiromi’s visit to Zama was specifically for that purpose. Not far from Camp Zama’s front gate is a club called the Manhattan. The club catered to military personnel and it was owned by Goro Watanabe.

Hiromi visited the Manhattan for the first time Tuesday night. She came through the front door, along with Roger and Yuri. To get there, Hiromi had to pass prostitutes who plied their trade out front, some of whom offered their services to Hiromi. For money, they would go either way.

The club manager, Eishin Mori, was surprised by Hiromi’s visit, but not overly so. Mori quickly gave Hiromi all of the club’s financial records she had requested.

While in Zama, Hiromi stayed at a small apartment kept by the Watanabe family in the city. All of Wednesday and part of Thursday were also spent in examining the Manhattan’s financial records, receipts and records in particular. In the end, no irregularities were found.

It was Wednesday afternoon when Hiromi got a call from Goro. “Hiromi-chan, I will be traveling to Osaka for the next few days.”

“Have a safe trip Goro-san.”

“While I’m gone, you may make any decisions that would normally require my attention. I will be back on Saturday.”

‘Have I just been made acting Oyabun?’ Hirom asked herself. A female Oyabun wasn’t unprecedented in the world of the Yakuza. For a brief time in the late 90's, the Yamaguchi-gumi was run by a woman.

“Yes Goro-san. I will return to Yokohama tomorrow. Have a safe trip. ”

After a pause, Goro said. “One more thing, Uncle asks if you can pay him a visit this weekend. He says Charles is welcome to come also.”

Hiromi didn’t have any pressing business this weekend. “Of course, we will come visit.”

“I will be back then on Saturday.” A few moments later Goro hung up the phone.
 

~*~

 
Back in the United States, Swan Song had run into an unexpected snag. All the files that had been transmitted by Hiromi’s office computer were encrypted.

“Sir,” Said the bespectacled computer expert named Scott Avery who worked for Swan Song. “I’m sorry to inform you but the files at present are totally unreadable.”

Major Hollins asked a question. “Any chance we can break the code?”

“Unlikely sir. The encryption uses an advanced algorithm. Without a copy of the program that creates them I’m afraid the files are useless.”

It wasn’t till the computer expert departed the room, that a discussion began about what next steps would need to be taken next.

“We’ll have to make contact with Ripley through Chrysanthemum. I don’t see us as having any other choice.” Major Hollins stated.

“Agreed.” Director Williamson said. “Inspector Yoshida, has Chrysanthemum been in contact with Ripley yet?”

“No, not to my knowledge. Chrysanthemum was hoping to make first sometime during the next few days”

“How long would it take on your end to make a signal to Chrysanthemum?”

“Perhaps as soon as tomorrow possibly, but no later than Saturday.” The Japanese police inspector replied.

The next thing to discuss, was exactly what message needed to be sent to Ripley. Almost an hour was spent hashing this out.

While this was happening, Gabrielle pointed something out. “There is the possibility Ripley won’t be able to supply us with a copy of the program we request.”

“We know that Agent Tanaka,” Deputy Director Williamson replied. “However without that program, Operation Swan Song is almost worthless. Ripley has to find a way of supplying us with a copy.”

Once the message had been hashed out, Inspector Yoshida re-entered the meeting by teleconference. He was verbally given a summary of what would soon be transmitted to him in Japan.

“We’ll get this message to Chrysanthemum as soon as possible.”

“Do that Inspector. Make this your top priority.”

The rest of the meeting was spent Monday morning quarterbacking in regards to what Ripley was or wasn’t doing. At one point Major Hollins insinuating that Captain Slater wasn’t living up to the committee’s expectations.

Gabrielle again felt like throttling the Army major, but bit her tongue instead. ‘These bozos have no idea what it’s like to go undercover in enemy territory. I just hope Tom gets out of there alive and in one piece.’
 

~*~

 
In spite of holding the reins of power within the Yakuza for a few days, little was asked of Hiromi while Goro was away. As soon as work was over on Friday afternoon, she and Charles left for Lake Yanagawa. There Goro Watanabe had a large estate bordering on the lake. Hiromi would stay there for the weekend while also paying Keiji Watanabe a courtesy visit.

Lake Yanagawa, which is in close proximity to Mt. Fuji, is one of prettiest parts of Japan. It was also one of the most expensive areas so far as the cost of real estate goes. People living on or around the lake were without exception, millionaires(US dollars not yen) many times over. Like Goro Watanabe, most of these people took their personal safety seriously.

What that meant for Hiromi was she couldn’t just leave the Watanabe compound for a long jog without protection. Roger Hyde wouldn’t allow it. One of Hiromi’s protectors would have to run along her. The person chosen for this was Reina Shimizu.

Given the beautiful scenery and good weather, Hiromi planned on pushing her body harder and longer than she had at any time previous. The real Hiromi had been a marathon runner, and when visiting this part of Japan, she would go on long jogs - usually over ten miles in length.

While Hiromi went jogging, Charles played tennis against Goro. The two men got along surprisingly well. Maybe because Charles was the only one around who could give the Oyabun a reasonably tough time at tennis. At one time, Goro had considered a career in the sport

Dressed in almost marathon like outfits, Reina and Hiromi began their run in the foothills of Mt. Fuji. Roger and Yuri trailing a short distance behind in a SUV .

The dirt road Hiromi and Reina ran along was oh so familiar, like she had run on it hundreds of times instead of just this once. Reina surprisingly was keeping up with her boss as they approached a fork in the road.

“This way.” Reina said to Hiromi as both women made a sharp turn to the left in order to go up a narrow hill-side path. One Roger and Yuri couldn’t take the SUV up.

“You must know the way?” Hiromi asked Reina. The run was uphill and tougher on her legs but Hiromi was still holding up tremendously. That could change of course on the way back down.

They were well up the hill and out of sight, when Reina suddenly stopped. Hiromi did the same. “Are you all right?”

Reina nodded her head. She was a little out of breath but that wasn’t why she stopped “Did you ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?”

‘You’re my contact?’ Hiromi thought as she stared into Reina’s eyes. “No, but I have been to Peoria.”

“The people in Peoria are very nice.” Reina replied back.

“Yes they are. You’re Chrysanthemum?”

“Yes and you’re Ripley.” The two women then shook hands.

“That I am.”

“Can you give me a progress report? Quickly, we can’t spend too much time up here.”

Hiromi told everything she had done so far. The next week would allow Hiromi to install the software on two more of the computers she used.

“The trick will be my getting onto Goro’s computer.”

Reina nodded her head. “That will be a bitch.”

“Is the apartment closely guarded when Goro or his family aren’t in?”

“Yes it is, but I’m working on a couple of plans in order to get around that. We have time.”

Hiromi wasn’t in a rush. Yes, she’d like to be male and serving in the Army again, but getting through Swan Song intact was more important.”

“That’s it so far. Anything for me?”

“No, not at the moment.” Reina answered.

Reina went over quickly how they would meet in the future. The easiest way to accomplish this was for Reina to travel to or from work with Hiromi. She had done this already on two occasions.

“I’ll make some excuse with Chuck, so we can be alone. When do we meet next?”

“Week after next.” Reina answered. There was also a series of non-verbal signals for Reina to go over with Hiromi quickly. Using articles of clothing, jewelry, or accessories, Reina and Hiromi could pass simple signals to the other. For instance if Reina wore a scarf one day, that meant she needed to talk with Hiromi.

If it was Hiromi who needed a meeting, she would signal it to Reina but placing her wrist watch on her right rather left wrist. Hiromi Sato was ambidextrous, but usually wrote with her right hand.

“We better start jogging again.” Hiromi told Reina, just before the two of them began running back down the hill.

When the run was over, Hiromi helped herself to some bottled water. ‘A twelve-mile jog, even with a five minute break in the middle. Damn this body is impressive.’

While Hiromi quenched her thirst, Roger came walking over to her. “Boss, I really prefer if you don’t run like you did today.”

“You mean the hill?” Hiromi asked. “It’s a good workout for me.”

“I know boss, but I’m paid to protect you.”

“Reina was with me. She can take care of both of us.”

“Whatever you say boss.” Hiromi then went inside the house.
 

~*~

 
Charles, Hiromi, Goro and his wife Keiko, arrived at Keiji Watanabe’s home shortly before 3 p.m. The retired Oyabun happy to see his family, but most particularly, his granddaughter.

Keiji’s home was close to but not bordering on Lake Kawaguchi. It lay off a side road that was barely visible to passing motorists. A bamboo fence and gate were at the front of the property. There two guards stood watch. Hiromi and Chuck were waved through without hesitation.

Hiromi drove down a dirt path for some 1,000 yards or so, passing through immaculately kept garden areas. At the end of the path, was a small old style Japanese home. As soon as they were parked, Hiromi and Chuck got out of the car and walked hand in hand to Keiji Watanabe’s front door.

Before they got there, the door slid open. An elderly man only slightly taller than Hiromi smiled broadly at his guests.

“Granddaughter, I am so happy to see you.”

Hiromi bowed. “I have been away too long Grandfather.”

Keiji warmly greeted his granddaughter. “Come in, come in.”

Hiromi and Chuck entered the house. After closing the door, Keiji greeted Chuck. “It is good to see you Charles.”

“Thank you for inviting me over sir.”

The first thing Hiromi and Chuck on entering, was take off their shoes and exchange them for slippers. While they did this, Keiji made small talk.

“Goro said he and Keiko will be here shortly.” Hiromi told her grandfather. Almost like magic, the sound of a car pulling up could be heard outside. The Oyabun of the Watanabe Yakuza and his wife had just arrived.

The afternoon was spent having tea or sake as Keiji talked non-Yakuza matters with his family and their other halves. All discussion taking place in Japanese, which Chuck understood most of the time, but still needed an occasional interpretation from Hiromi.

“I am so sorry about Aunt Emiko.” Keiji said not long after everyone was settled in. “You must miss her.”

Hiromi had to choke back tears. She was getting emotional for a person she never met. “Yes I do very much.”

Chuck patted his girlfriend’s hand. “At least Aunt Emiko didn’t suffer.”

“Yes, you’re right.”

Keiji Watanabe talked about Emiko Takagi for the next thirty minutes or so. The retired Obuyan seemed to know her well. As he talked, the young lady dressed in a kimono served tea and snacks. As tea was poured for her, the name Riko entered into Hiromi’s mind.

“Hiromi-san, is there anything else I can get you?”

“No thank you Riko.” A minute later Riko left the room.

Goro then spoke. “Uncle, I see Ai is not here today.”

Ai Toguchi was Keiji Watanabe’s long-time cook and housekeeper. “Ai is visiting with her sister in Nagano.”

A thin smile appeared on Goro’s lips. “She visits her sister often these days.”

Family talk continued through the rest of the afternoon and into the evening. Not even stopping for dinner, which was served at 7 p.m.

It was during dinner that Keiji complimented Hiromi’s boyfriend. “You’re Japanese is improving Charles. One day you may speak it as if you were born here.”

“Thank you sir. Hiromi here is helping me, but I don’t think I’ll ever speak the language that good.”

One thing Hiromi noticed early on was how Chuck was treated by Keiji and Goro. It was very different from how Tom Slater’s father was treated by his wife’s parents. None of the stiff politeness or awkwardness was present that a young Tom Slater had noticed whenever his maternal grandparents met their son-in-law.

Instead Chuck was treated as if he was family already by the Watanabes. That was interesting to Hiromi, and with time may tell her more about the personalities of both Goro and Keiji Watanabe and how their Yakuza family worked. Getting into the heads of these men would prove useful in order to bring Swan Song to a safe and successful conclusion.

Shortly after desert was finished, Keiko and Chuck got up and excused themselves. They would return to Goro Watanabe’s home together. Their leaving signaled, to Hiromi at least, that some Yakuza related business was about to take place.

Before getting down to business, Goro and Keiji changed drinks. Up until then, both men had been consuming tea, sake, or bottled water only. Now it was time for alcoholic drinks. In Keiji’s case, it was bourbon, for Goro it was scotch. Hiromi stuck to the tea, her cup being refilled once again by Riko.

As soon as Riko had exited the room, Goro got down to business. “Dai seems to think the Inagawa-kaí are elbowing in again on our turf.”

“Dai said the same thing to me also.”

Keiji nodded. “It is too soon since our last trouble with the Inagawa.”

“I agree Uncle. It wouldn’t seem wise for them to do as Dai suggests.”

Goro and Keiji discussed the various business arrangements the Watanabes had with the Inagawa-Kai. The Inagawa’s Oyabun, Kakuji Inagawa. He and Goro spoke on as frequently as ever other week.

“I only spoke to Kakuji ten days ago. Nothing seemed amiss.”

Hiromi then spoke up. “They did tip us off to that warehouse raid by the police only a month ago.” While the various Yakuza families were rivals of one another, they often co-operated with each other, especially when it came to law enforcement intelligence either because the business interests of the Yakuza often overlapped, or in hope a rival would supply any similar tips in the future.

Goro nodded. “Yes Hiromi-san, they did. That is why I think Dai is wrong in this matter.”

“He sees shadows where there are none.” Hiromi said after sipping some tea.

Keiji Watanabe seemed to understand Dai best. “True but shadows are only seen when there is light.”

Hiromi, Keiji, and Goro talked family business almost up to midnight before calling it a day. When done, Hiromi went with Goro in the Fairlady to his estate on Lake Yanagawa.

The following day, everyone returned to Keiji’s home once again. This time, most of the day was spent outside in the retired Oyabun’s garden areas. Like the day before, no family business was discussed because of Keiko and Chuck’s presence.

A late lunch was served at 1 p.m. Shortly after 3 p.m. Goro announced he and Keiko would be leaving for Yokohama. That’s when Hiromi decided she and Chuck would leave also.

“Goodbye Grandfather. I promise to visit again soon.” Hiromi told Keiji Watanabe.

What Keiji did next surprised Hiromi. He squeezed her cheeks as if she was a little girl. “Every time I see your face, you remind me of Hideki.”

“I know Grandfather.”

“Your father would be happy you are assisting me and Goro now.” Right then Hiromi got the confirmation of what she had been suspecting almost since the moment she arrived in Yokohama. The late Hideki Watanabe was the real Hiromi Sato’s father. So why had she grown up in Hokkaido Japan?

That question became the subject of much thought as Chuck and Hiromi began the ride back to Yokohama a few minutes later. Naturally, Hiromi was behind the wheel of the Fairlady. Roger and the rest of Hiromi’s goon squad following close behind in an SUV.

“Kimi-chan, I hope you don’t get angry at what I’m about to say.”

“You don’t like my driving fast?”

“No, not that. It’s about your grandfather.”

“What about him?”

“I think the reason Ai isn’t around is because.....” Chuck began to say but then seemed not able to put his thoughts to words.

Hiromi was amused at how tongue tied Chuck had become. “Like Americans would say, spit it out man.”

Chuck laughed. “Ok, then. I think Ai and Grandfather are seeing one another.”

“Oh..... What makes you think that?” Hiromi asked. Thinking about it, the elderly widowed Oyabun taking up with his long-time housekeeper made absolute sense.

“Well.....it’s the way your grandfather talks about Ai. There’s something different about it.”

“Grandma died when I was sixteen.”

“Yes I know that, your grandfather deserves to have some company again.”

“You mean a companion.”

Chuck laughed. “You speak better English than I do at times, my little sports car.”

The little sports car was about to get ready to drive like one. A slow moving truck was blocking Hiromi’s path and a bend in the road wasn’t far off. Growing impatient, Hiromi shifted gears and then accelerated around the truck.

“Hold on tight.” Hiromi warned her boyfriend. Chuck pressed back into his seat as the Fairlady accelerated around the truck as another vehicle rapidly approached in the opposite direction. Hiromi made the pass successfully but not without scaring the shit of Chuck first.

Once in front of the truck, it was clear sailing again. Unfortunately, Roger and the rest of Hiromii’s protection squad couldn’t motor as fast in the SUV. By the time they got around the truck, Hiromi was a couple of kilometers ahead of them.

“You really should ask your grandfather about your entering the Japanese Grand Prix one day.”

It took a few moments for Hiromi to frame an answer. Some of the real woman’s memories were again bubbling upward. “Grandfather wouldn’t approve, he didn’t like my being a runner.”

The conversation quickly changed to different matters. Chuck was soon discussing what they would have for dinner that night. Juanita was off that weekend, and anything back at the apartment was frozen and not ready for cooking.

“You’re always hungry.”

Chuck bent over and kissed Hiromi. “Mostly for you Kimi-chan. I hope we can have fun tonight.”

“Of course. I’ll take you for a ride again later.” Hiromi said with a girlish giggle. That was the exterior reaction. On the inside Tom Slater reacted with revulsion.

The conversation reverted back to why Chuck thought Keiji and his housekeeper, Ai, were now an item. There wasn’t any concrete proof for it, just suspicions.

“Don’t get me wrong, I think Grandfather deserves to have someone. It has to be tough being alone when you’re old.”

Hiromi laughed. “What would you think or say if your Mom brought someone home.”

Chuck’s father had died over ten years previous. His car crashed one rainy night in Hong Kong. The shock that Chuck and his mother suffered afterwards wasn’t just over Peter McBride’s death but who was also in the car with the businessman that night. A Eurasian secretary who worked at the same company Peter did. They weren’t exactly on company time at the time of the crash.

Finding out his father had been unfaithful to his mother had changed Chuck tremendously. It made him more dedicated or loving to the people around him that mattered most. That included Hiromi Sato.

Chuck therefore was honest with Hiromi when answering her question. “I’d say welcome mate. Let’s get to know each other better.” Hiromi laughed at this reply.

On the way into Yokohama, Chuck and Hiromi made dinner plans. They would eat at the apartment but would stop at a market first. By this time, Roger and the others had caught up to their boss. About five kilometers from the apartment and after making a very slight detour, there was a medium size food market. After hunting down a parking space, Chuck and Hiromi went inside. A half hour later they emerged with some Kobe steaks, the makings of a salad, plus some other groceries.

After dinner that evening, Hiromi and Chuck watched some television together. When that was over they retired to the bedroom and got ready for bed. Before Chuck went to sleep that night, Hiromi took him for a ride as promised.

Instead of going to sleep immediately afterwards, Hiromi slipped out of bed and made her way to her office area. There Hiromi just sat quietly thinking.

First about Chuck. The Australian had to know what his girlfriend did for a living. Living in a fortress and being accompanied by bodyguards would tip off any person with half a brain that Hiromi Sato was no ordinary accountant.

Was Chuck involved with the Watanabe Yakuza? Not to Hiromi’s knowledge was he. Chuck was an investment banker/currency trader, and Hiromi’s live-in boyfriend as far as she knew. Not all the memories of the woman’s body she now possessed bubbled forth freely. They often were like a spring or geyser, that erupted every so often.

Another comparison of Hiromi’s memories could be made to the many layers of an onion. They had to be peeled back in order to reveal what was inside.

That evening Hiromi was doing some peeling back. It was in regards to the ancestry of the real Hiromi. It certainly proved to be revealing.

Hideki Watanabe was Hiromi Sato’s father. Almost thirty years earlier, the young Yakuza was wanted by the police on suspicion of murder. Seeing this, Keiji Watanabe sent his only son into hiding on the island of Hokkaido.

There Hideki couldn’t escape trouble. This time however it involved a young, strong willed, lady named Ryoko Sato. The short relationship between Hideki and Ryoko was as passionate as it was tumultuous. Neither young person was ready to settle down, Hideki barely twenty-one-years-old at the time. Ryoko a few days short of nineteen when she first met Hideki

Complicating matters was the fact Hideki was promised in marriage to a daughter of a man Keiji Watanabe was in debt to. When Hideki’s legal problems cleared up, the young Yakuza rather than bring his girlfriend home to Yokohama, left her behind. Ryoko at the time was pregnant with Hideki’s child.

Hiromi was born six months later, but her mother died in childbirth. Rejected by her mother’s family, and with no place within the Watanabe family, Hideki having married shortly after his return to Yokohama, the infant Hiromi Sato was given to Emiko Takagi. Emiko was no aunt of the girl, rather someone paid by Keiji Watanabe to care for Hiromi. No matter who the girl’s mother was, the Oyabun couldn’t turn his back on his own flesh and blood.

Hiromi was told all of this by looking at the pictures in her office area. The other spark for these memories coming forth was the weekend visit with Keiji, plus the conversation Hiromi had with Chuck on the way home.

There were other feelings and experiences too. Hiromi was just beginning to unpeel these, when she heard a voice calling for her.

“Kimi-chan,” Said a robed Chuck McBride as he stepped into the room. “Aren’t you tired yet? It’s been a long day.”

“I was just thinking.” Hiromi said as she got up from her chair. More unpeeling of memories would have to wait till another time. They certainly gave Hiromi insight into the Watanabe family.

“About your Aunt Emiko?”

“Yes about my Aunt.” Hiromi replied. Chuck responded by giving his girlfriend a big hug, followed by a kiss.

“I’m sorry Hiromi. If there was something I could do for you.” Chuck said as he hugged Hiromi tight.

“There is nothing. Let’s go to bed now.”

Hiromi was laying naked in bed a few minutes later. As she tried to go to sleep, strong emotions began to bubble up inside her. They were in regards to how the real Hiromi felt towards her family.

The feelings Hiromi felt were very strong, but that wasn’t what caught her by surprise. It was the nature of the feelings. They weren’t love, but hate. Hate and resentment towards those family members who rejected her and denied Hiromi a proper place in the Watanabe family for so long. If unchecked, these emotions result in people dying. Like Goro Watanabe, or if that failed, Hiromi Sato.

The real Hiromi Sato felt she had one rightful place in the world of the Watanabe Yakuza. That of Oyabun. As she went to sleep, Hiromi tried to forget these feelings but not all of her could.

Little did Tom Slater know, two personas were already at battle inside the body of Hiromi Sato. Hiromi was already noticing how sometimes she would black out, then suddenly come conscious again. When this happened, the persona of the real Hiromi took over if only for a short time. Like tonight when Chuck made love to his girlfriend.

So far none of this bothered Hiromi. Actually she felt relieved by these episodes. Little did Hiromi know that the episodes were a sign of the battle of personas being fought inside of her. Only one would come out on top.
 

~*~

 
To be continued in Part Four

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Finally!

I've been waiting for this one for a long time! I wasn't disappointed. Problems has arisen from the unknown boyfriend that is causing what looks like even more problems. If that wasn't enough the Captain's own superiors seems ready to throw her away at the slightest problem. Plus I suspect they know more than what they are saying about possible side effects with memories than they are saying.
Lots of fun!
hugs!
grover

From Sharonna

I am Sharonna (I use various aliases) and I thank you for the reference to me and any inspiration from my 'Community Service' series. Please continue with this fine work!

Latest Greatest

Well you certainly know how to hook me and keep me coming back for more, just to let you know that many of us are lurkers and don't feel that we express ourselves well in writing... I mean the written word. (is that correct?)O well I love what you do with a story and will read them all even if I don't always comment.

Draflow

Duty, Honor, Country, Family - Part 3

Hiromi ihas the same battle that all deep cover agents suffer, will be fun to see what happens as Tom loses out to her.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine