The Transit of Venus - Ch 17

Printer-friendly version
image_9.jpg

Chapter 17

"Thank you so much for warning me Serena. What will happen if your parents find out that you told me their plan?"

"There is no if about it! I'm telling them to their face what I think of their behaviour."

"Don't do that yet Serena because I think this may affect Litara's documentary plans and I'd like to pre-warn her. I'll call her now and get straight back to you."

Strangely Litara wasn't surprised by the news of the Johnson's scheming. "Prejudice and money go hand in hand each justifying the other. The difficulty here is that Serena is your best friend at the moment but her parents for good or ill are with her for life. If I find a way of stopping them when I come for Grandad Joe's funeral on Friday it will probably cost you Serena's friendship.

I phoned Serena back and shared Latira's thoughts. "I don't want our friendship to be the loser because of you overhearing your parents so lets sleep on it and talk again tomorrow.

* * * * * *

'Let's sleep on it' had been a throwaway line but next morning the solution was clear in my mind. I immediately rang Serena filling her in on my plan and she agreed to prepare the ground and arrange a meeting for 6:00 pm next day between her parents and me about a big career opportunity for Serena.

No big fry up for breakfast today but my more usual muesli and yogurt plus anything not nailed down would keep me from fainting for a few hours. The first call I had to make was to Mr Davis, office and I thought I had this fashion thing well in hand picking a suitable outfit until I realised I matched almost exactly in style, Ms Jones his secretary. My makeup on the other hand was not 'Miss Jones'. The new nude lip colour Kelly had talked me into buying looked invitingly kissable and the whites of my eyes seemed to shine out dangerously in relief to the eyeshadow and liner.

No bicycle this morning as the rather tight business suit wouldn't allow it. Why does the heroine in books never have to catch the bus like me? There are advantages to the bus though and if that man opposite were to…… "Down girl!" I said to myself. This is becoming most confusing.

The bus filled as it approached the city centre until " 'What the hell!' " It had never occurred to me that a tightly clad female rear was an irresistible temptation to some men!

* * * * * *

In the solicitors office I'm sure Miss Jones gave me a look of approval. It appeared there was no need to see Mr Davis as all that was required was my signature on what appeared to be an Immigration Application. I queried that but was told that there hadn't been a mistake and it was a necessary formality.

The library was next on my 'to do' list where I gathered and practiced with my armoury for this evening's engagement with the Johnsons. There were two boys filling out job applications across the room and I wondered what their idea of a good job or career was. I never seemed short of work but at the cost of much hustling and the thought of a secure position was inviting until I imagined 5, 10, 20 years doing the same thing day after day.

Why does life have to swing so wildly I thought 2 hours later, wandering through the city's shopping area, between being rushed off my feet and nothing to do? How would I cope for long periods alone at sea?

Time does pass though and being the one with free time today meant I could buy a fresh chicken and back at home have it ready to put in the oven and vegetables prepared for an evening meal when my parents got home (there are just so many salads you can serve a man built like my father). Time to freshen up. I kept with the suit, thanking my lucky stars that Litara and I were the same size and looking at the label
http://www.bluesuitsonline.com/custom-made-womens-business-s...
but changed my blouse and added just a dab of the perfume I'd bought from Kelly in town.

Mum got in at 5:30 and I explained that I had just put the chicken in the oven and would she put the carrots on at 6:15 and the parboiled potatoes around the chicken at the same time then it was time to march across the road to meet my dragon.

I'd barely pushed the bell when Mr Johnson opened the door and ushered me into the front room where Serena and her mother were already waiting. It felt as though Mrs Johnson was dissecting my appearance with a scalpel but regardless I dove into my pitch.

"I know Serena has told you a little of my physical situation so please let me explain how this affects her. I have been engaged by a television documentary producer to help create a series at the heart of which is the story of my own life and an upcoming voyage under sail to Tahiti. My family background is perfect for them as on one side my grandmother is related to the Royal Family and on the other my late grandfather had a distinguished career in the British Army - perhaps you've heard of the battle of Imjun River, in the Korean war † which was the bloodiest battle fought by the British Army since WWII and for which two Victoria Crosses were awarded.

Well the film producers also want to highlight the life-saving part played by Serena in recognising my medical condition and rushing me to the hospital where she insisted, despite their protests, that they examine me and so found that I had the XX chromosomes of a woman instead of the XY of a man.

The difficulty arises because Serena does not wish to appear in the programme without your permission as it is likely to make her rather well known. I must ask you therefore to please give permission for Serena to appear?"

I think Litara would have approved of my effort. With no pre-warning of the line I would take they were left, I hoped, with no alternative but to give permission and side with Royalty, a war hero and a life-saving daughter. Once they they had given that permission any harm they caused my family would also harm Serena and themselves. I couldn't stop them being prejudiced snobs but I could use that to my own advantage.

"Surely you know you didn't have to ask Venus," gushed Mrs Johnson. "We wouldn't dream of standing in Serena's way. I do love that suit by the way. You must tell me where you had it made…"

"New York Mrs Johnson. I'll get you the address but must go now as I'm expected for dinner.

Serena joined me to walk across the road. "Just how much of the story you told my parents was true?"

"It was all true of course although I may have phrased it in a way that made it easy for them to misinterpret. My grandmother is related to the royal family; the Samoam royal family that is, also my grandfather served in Korea, just not at Imjin River and without a VC. The last part is true in that you may have saved my life although according to Dr Edwards my XX chromosomes don't mean I'm female.

That evening after letting Litara know about my meeting with the Johnsons I rang to confirm a meeting next day about the upcoming trip to Bilboa. With the funeral coming up and time in London next week there wasn't much free time between now and our departure.

"Venus. I'm glad you called now as I've heard some disturbing talk about you…"

† Almost 100,000 British troops fought in Korea in a conflict as bloody as any seen before or since yet many consider it the war Britain has forgotten.
In 1951, 600 soldiers of the British Army took on a force of 30,000 Chinese troops crossing the Imjin River in Korea.
At the end of the battle 10,000 Chinese troops had fallen. British losses stood at just 59, but only 39 of the survivors evaded capture.
Two Victoria Crosses, Britain's highest military honour, were awarded for the action. But despite such heroism, Britain's role in the conflict has largely been forgotten by the public.

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Venus used a very old and

Venus used a very old and honorable method on her adversaries, Serena's parents, the Johnsons.
Specifically stated. If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance and knowledge, then baffle them with bulls**t. You GO, Girl.

From the little blurb of history you give at the end of this chapter, I would believe it should be considered for a movie, just as ZULU was made regarding The Battle of Roarke's Drift in 1879. Not may people had ever heard of that battle either until the movie was made and presented around the world. One thing I have always admired about the British is they do make truly authentic, historically accurate films about various military actions. This could be one of them.

The Imjin River Battle

Rhona McCloud's picture

History is written by the victors and in the case of Korea that was, if anyone, the Americans

This battle was right up there with Rorke's Drift but as you say without a movie forgotten. It is worth taking 9 minutes to watch a short which although unfortunaley needs to be stopped to read personal accounts gives an idea of The Imjin River Battle

ps be prepared for tears when you click the link

Rhona McCloud