Being Christina Chase | Chapter 39: The Real Date

Printer-friendly version

     Looking up into Richard's eyes, Christina did not think about whether or not what she was about to do was a good idea. In fact she didn't think it all. She wrapped her arms around Richard's shoulders, and her right hand found the back of his head. Guiding him down, Christina parted her lips and drew Richard into the most passionate kiss they had ever shared.

Being Christina Chase

Chapter 39 - The Real Date

by Admiral Krunch

 

        Christina and Nina came down the stairs, dressed for their respective Valentine's Day dates. Nina's dress was a black baby doll with hints of pink peeking out from under its knee length skirt. Christina was wearing one of her floral printed dresses. It had spaghetti straps, and though it showed off her neck and shoulders, it gave only a glimpse of cleavage. As usual, Nina had tried to goad her older cousin into wearing something more adventurous, but Christina was able to keep the younger girl in check. Tonight, whether Richard realized it or not, was going to be pure business. Christina was hatching a plan that would make her stay in Oak Grove a lot less stressful.

        "I'm not sure this is a good idea," Nina said as she straightened out her skirt and sat on the couch.

        Christina sat next to her cousin and asked, "I thought you were the one who didn't want to stay home and play Monopoly?"

        Nina groaned, admitting, "Okay, this is definitely better than that."

        "So what's the problem?"

        "I don't know. It's just, I don't really feel like going out on a date so soon after ... well, you know."

        Christina put her arm around Nina's shoulders and leaned the girl against herself. "Yeah, I know, but it's always going to feel like that until you actually start going out again."

        Nina was silent. After a while she asked, "What do you think about James?"

        Christina replied, "He seems like a really nice guy, Nina. The real question is, what do you think about him?"

        "I don't know. I mean with David, it was like, I really liked him right from the start. I mean, even before he knew who I was."

        "Well, you liked who you thought he was," Christina pointed out.

        "Yeah," Nina conceded. "When James asked me out it was ..."

        "What?" Christina asked.

        "He was really nervous," Nina said with a smile.

        "That sounds like James." Christina laughed, "I think the thing is, he really likes you."

        "Yeah ... I guess it was kinda charming in a weird way."

        Christina gave Nina a squeeze and said, "Just go out and have a good time tonight. I dunno if you're really gonna like James or not, but I think you should give it a shot."

        Nina nodded. After another long pause, she asked, "Are you and Richard getting back together?"

        Christina tensed up a little and said, "We were never-" but was cut short by a glance from her younger cousin. After taking a deep breath, Christina said, "Not exactly. I just need to get a few things straight with him."

        Nina rolled her eyes. "O ... kay."

        Ignoring that last comment, Christina looked at the antique clock on the wall, then back towards Nina. "Have you seen Andrei at all today?"

        Nina shrugged in response.

        "If he's still at work on Valentine's Day, Steph is going to kill him."

        "I don't know what's going on with Andrei."

        "I don't either, but he's gonna blow it with Steph if he keeps this up."

        The girls looked up as Alek and Misha came in from the kitchen.

        "You both are lovely," Misha glowed.

        Alek followed her in, sat in one of the large arm chairs across from the girls, and stared at them with a mild look of aggravation.

        Misha rested her hand on her husband's shoulder and said, "Do you not think so, Alek?"

        "Yes," he agreed flatly. "My girls are lovely."

        Alek looked at his daughter and said, "Nina, when your date-"

        "James," Nina offered.

        "Yes," Alek said, as though the name were of little consequence. "When he arrives, I will be introduced to him properly."

        "Yes, Daddy." Nina laughed, clearly not taking the situation as seriously as her father.

        "And Tina," Alek continued, "I will have a word with your date, as well."

        "Okay," Christina nodded.

        "And the both of you are to be home no later than ten."

        "Daddy," Nina groaned, "I think we're both old enough-"

        "Ten," Alek repeated with a sense of finality.

        "Ten's just fine by me," Christina said. "I'll be here with bells on. Do people still do that? Give me some bells, and I'll wear them."

        "Oh ... my ... God ..." Nina whispered to herself.

        At that moment, there was a knock on the door. Boris, who had been sleeping on the kitchen floor, immediately rose and barked. He nearly lost his footing as his claws scratched at the kitchen floor as he launched himself into the living room. He was already at the door before anyone in the room had a chance to rise.

        Alek and Misha went to the door and opened it. Richard was standing at the door in a large cashmere overcoat. He was carrying a bouquet of roses in one hand, and a large plush bear in the other. All the while, his confident smile never left his face.

        "Come in," Misha said brightly to the man on her front porch.

        Alek gave Richard a simple nod that was at least not openly hostile.

        "Thank you," Richard said to Misha and Alek as we went to the middle of the room.

        Boris walked along side the man, demanding attention, relenting only when Richard gave him a pat on the forehead. The large dog sat next to the man and looked up at him. Then he looked over at Christina. He gave the man another look, then returned his gaze to Christina.

        Christina tried to avoid the dog's stare, but Boris would not look anywhere other than her. She began to feel a burning in her cheeks and gave the dog a look that begged him to stop staring at her like that.

        "These are for you," Richard smiled as he handed the bouquet to his date.

        "Oh good," Christina said uncomfortably. "More roses. 'Cause I didn't get enough of these already."

        "It's never enough," Richard flirted.

        "Excuse me," Alek spoke gruffly to the man who was flirting with his niece in his own living room. "I would have a word with you."

        "Of course," Richard said.

        Alek motioned with his hand to the kitchen, and Richard followed after handing the large teddy bear to his date.

        "This is so embarrassing," Nina whispered to her cousin.

        "What?" Christina asked.

        "Dad is in a mood ... He's going to ruin the evening."

        Christina leaned over and peeked past her aunt and into the kitchen. "... Ruin away," she whispered.

        Alone in the kitchen with the man who was to take Christina out, Alek paced back and forth testily. He occasionally looked up at Richard, still pondering what he wanted to say. Here was this man who had overrun his store with flowers; the man who was relentlessly pursuing his niece. Even though the last time Richard had been in his house, he'd pledged his pure intentions for Christina, Alek in no way approved of him. If it were up to him, Alek would have forbidden Christina to leave the house with Richard, but if Alek had learned one thing from raising Anastasia, it was that telling a girl who she could not date, was a sure recipe of ensuring the exact opposite outcome.

        Alek stopped pacing and faced Richard. The relaxed look on the man's face only made Alek more agitated. "My Tina has had a very hard year," Alek began.

        "Sir," Richard said politely, "I can assure you that I am aware of what Christina went through-"

        "Do not think that you know my niece better than I," Alek interrupted.

        Realizing that this was not meant to be a conversation, Richard held his tongue and decided to humor his lecturer.

        "Tina has had a very hard year, and she does not deserve a moment more of grief."

        "Mr. Levchenko-" Richard started, until he was cut short by an irked look on Alek's face. "Right," he whispered, the self-assured smile now wiped from his face.

        "You are not to confuse her, or fill her head with promises you do not intend to keep. Tonight, you will be a gentleman, and you will treat her with respect."

        "Sir, I don't think I've given you cause to-"

        "When an older man lavishly spends money on an impressionable young girl ... showering her with gifts ... It is easy for her to lose perspective."

        "Mr. Levchenko," Richard interjected, no longer amused by the game, "I happen to know your niece quite well, and as I recall, you were the primary source of her grief last year." After letting that point set in, Richard added, "Christina is more than capable of making decisions for herself."

        "Yes she is." Alek agreed. "And I have no doubt that my Tina will make the proper choice."

        The silence that filled the room spoke more than any of the words that had passed between the two men. After what felt like minutes, Richard asked, "Are we done here?"

        "Yes," Alek said calmly. "I am finished with you."

        "In that case," Richard said defiantly, "I'll be leaving with Christina." Leaving the kitchen, Richard returned to the living room and immediately presented his usual genial expression. "Are we ready?" Richard asked his date.

        Christina put the plush bear down on the couch, took a deep breath, then nodded.

        "Mrs. Levchenko," Richard said as he took Misha's hand and gave it a kiss, "a pleasure, as always."

        Misha blushed somewhat as she escorted Richard and Christina to the door.

        Richard helped Christina with her coat, then wrapped his arm around her waist.

        As they stood in the doorway, Alek barked, "You will have Christina home by ten o'clock."

        "Yes, of course," Richard said as he gave the room a carefree wave. "I'll set my watch."

        "Not a moment later!" Alek called as Richard left the house with his niece.

        "Alek," Misha admonished, "there is no need to be rude!"

        Alek gritted his teeth and exhaled forcefully through his nostrils as though he were an irate bull. "He is not right for Tina," he muttered, much to his wife's consternation.

        "Daddy," Nina interjected, "I think you're overreacting just a little bit."

        At that moment, there was another knock at the door. Nina sprang from the couch, straightened her dress, then went to the door. She opened it to find James facing the driveway.

        When he realized the door had been opened, James stopped his nervous fidgeting and faced his date. When he saw Nina standing in the doorway, in her dress, he whispered, "Wow."

        In spite of her misgivings about the night, a wide smile formed on Nina's face.

        James' face turned a shade of red not quite as bright as the uncooperative tangle of hair on his head. "I mean, hello," he said.

        "Hi," Nina glowed. She took James by the hand, and said, "Come in." As Nina led James into the house, she introduced him. "Mom, Dad, this is James."

        Alek, who looked in no mood to greet another amorous male into his home, trained the boy in his sights and boomed, "I will see YOU now."

        Even though Boris knew he was not the object of Alek's disdain, he got up from his spot by the couch and quietly slunk out of the room with his tail between his legs.

        "Holy crap," James whispered to himself as he saw Nina's father. It were as if he had never realized just how large the man was until that instant. He shot a nervous glance towards his date as he followed Alek into the kitchen.

        "Mom!" Nina pleaded.

        "Do not worry Nina," Misha dismissed. She looked over her shoulder and heard the displeased tone in her husband's voice. She gave Nina a wink and said, "I think I will see if your date wishes something to drink," then disappeared into the kitchen.

 

        The silver Lexus convertible sped down unlit country roads on the way into town. Sitting in the passenger's seat, Christina felt a little awkward. She was not proud of the way she'd left town in January without making a clean break with Richard. And even though she knew it had been necessary to break up with him, she still felt a little guilty for dumping him in Abby's store.

        "So, where are you taking me?" Christina finally asked, breaking the silence.

        "It's a surprise," Richard answered with a coy grin.

        "Oh man ..." Christina sighed.

        "What?"

        "What's it gonna be? A fancy restaurant? ANOTHER room filled with flowers?"

        "Would that be so bad, Princess?"

        Christina smirked, even though she fought the impulse, and looked out the window to obscure that fact from her date. "You know, you shouldn't waste your time and money going overboard."

        Richard, having fully noticed the smirk on the younger girl's face, asked, "And why not?"

        "'Cause it's not going to work. You know, what ever the plan is."

        "Miss Chase, I assure you, I have no idea what you're talking about."

        Christina laughed and playfully complained, "Oh, yeah ... right. So it's not your oh so top secret plan to steamroller me with every romantic gesture in the book?"

        "That depends," Richard flirted, "Would it work? Because that can be arranged."

        Christina laughed off that last comment, and pressed, "You still didn't answer my question. Where are we going?"

        "Maybe you should be the lawyer," Richard joked. "We're going somewhere just far enough away such that we can enjoy ourselves, and close enough that I can have you back home before your uncle's head explodes."

        Christina laughed again. "What did you two talk about in the kitchen?"

        "Nothing, really" Richard dismissed. "Let's just say I was made to realize the full scope of just how overprotective your uncle is."

        The smile never left Christina's face as she shrugged mischievously.

        "You're saying it doesn't bother you at all- the way your uncle acts?"

        "Not in the slightest," Christina grinned.

        "Fair enough," Richard said as he pulled into a long, U-shaped driveway. He put the car into park, turned of the ignition, and announced, "We're here."

        Looking out her window, Christina looked up and saw that they were at the high school. She looked back at Richard and asked, "Are you sure?"

        "Yes," Richard laughed.

        "And to think I was worried ..."

        "Excuse me?" asked Richard.

        "Here I thought you were going to try and overwhelm me with some absurd romantic gesture."

        "Who says I'm not?"

        Christina looked back out the window to be sure they were at the high school. She said, "... Maybe you're just slipping in your old age."

        Without responding, Richard got out of the car, walked to the passenger side to open Christina's door, and helped his date onto the snow covered sidewalk. Reaching into the back seat, he pulled out a blanket, a large wicker basket, and a silver cooler.

        Christina eyed these things suspiciously, but did not say a word as Richard led her to the front door. She was only partly surprised when Richard produced a large ring of keys from his coat pocket and unlocked the doors.

        "Do I want to know where you got those?" Christina joked.

        "I cashed in a favor," Richard answered nonchalantly.

        "I'm sure you did," Christina said as she followed Richard into the dark building.

        When they reached the hallway outside the gymnasium, Richard set everything on the floor and started setting up. He unrolled the blanket over the floor, then opened the cooler and the basket. In short order, he'd arranged two large dishes of pasta, a basket of garlic bread, and a small vial of olive oil. Opening the cold side of the cooler, he took out a bottle of wine. After taking the plastic wrap off the dishes, Richard pulled two candles from the wicker basket, placed them in a pair of silver candlesticks which he arranged in the middle of the blanket, then lit them.

        "So ... " Christina said after Richard had set up each and every item on the blanket, "A picnic? In February?"

        "I went through a lot of trouble to set this up," Richard defend with a smile. "Do you have any idea how long it took to cook this?"

        Christina eyed the expertly prepared food in front of her, and said, "You didn't cook any of this."

        "No," Richard conceded, "but the people I hired to cater this event did work exceptionally hard."

        Shaking her head in amused disbelief, Christina took off her jacket, and sat down. Finding she couldn't quite sit indian-style due to the constriction of her skirt, she sat with her legs to her side and supported herself with her right arm.

        Richard took his seat across from his date, uncorked the bottle of wine, and poured two glasses. "You do realize, I've already taken you to the best establishment in town. From here on out, I'll have to improvise."

        "Right," Christina laughed as she remembered her double date from last November. "But that was a fake date, though."

        "So it was," Richard said as he held up his glass. He waited for Christina to pick up hers, then clanked his glass to the side of hers and said, "Here's to our first real date."

        Not answering, Christina took a long drink, then tried some of her dinner. After a brief silence, Christina said, "So, on the topic of fake dates ... I have a ... proposition for you."

        "Princess," Richard said, with a far too amused look on his face, "I do realize you're a lot younger than I am, but when it comes to you propositioning me in a public school, I have to draw the line."

        In spite of herself, Christina actually laughed at that joke. "You know, I'm going to be staying here, in Oak Grove that is. I'm not sure for how long, but it's going to be a while. And the thing is, I don't want to get ... involved with anyone. And what has been made abundantly clear to me today, is that the men of this town aren't going to stop asking me out unless I'm ... you know ... off the market."

        "What are you trying to say?"

        "Well, what I'm trying to say is ... " Christina had practiced this speech a few times in the bathroom before her date, but at the moment, she couldn't quite remember how she'd rehearsed it, and she was almost certain that it hadn't sounded this awkward at the time. "I was wondering ... if you would be interested in being my fake boyfriend."

        Richard chuckled to himself, took a sip of his wine, then repeated, "Your fake boyfriend?"

        "Right."

        "Your fake boyfriend ... as in you don't like me, and I don't like you, and we won't enjoy ourselves?"

        "Well," Christina squirmed, "more as in, you can like me, and I would like you ... a lot ... and we could just be friends. And maybe, if people assumed there was more to it than that, we wouldn't exactly set the record straight."

        "That is quite an enticing offer," Richard joked. "I only wish Saul was here to run the numbers for me."

        Again, Christina laughed. She nibbled on a forkful of penne, then asked, "So what do you think?"

        "It is quite an attractive offer," Richard said, "but, let me make you a counter offer."

        "A counter offer?"

        "Yes. How about this; you can be my temporary girlfriend."

        "Temporary? ... What's a temporary girlfriend?"

        "That's where you like me, I'm more than taken with you, and we enjoy ourselves immensely."

        "How's that temporary?"

        "Because it expires at the end of Valentine's Day."

        "Okay ..."

        Richard added, "But, at the end of said period, if you find that you've enjoyed the experience, we can make it a full time arrangement."

        "Okay," Christina said, playing along, "and when the realistic outcome occurs?"

        "If that should happen, we can try out this fake arrangement you seem so fond of."

        "Fine," Christina said as she shrugged. "I'm your girlfriend for the next few hours."

        "See? You've taken to it quite naturally," Richard joked.

        Christina had reached for a slice of garlic bread, but now she put it back down. "Richard," Christina said seriously. That "Richard" was perhaps the first serious word spoken between either of them that entire night. "I can't be your girlfriend. Not for real."

        "Why not?" Richard asked, still as lighthearted as ever. "Is it because of the age difference?"

        "Well, no ..."

        "Is it because of your uncle?"

        "Of course not-"

        "I hope it's not this tie," he asked as he held up his red tie, "Because if you're asking me to choose between you and the tie-"

        "I just can't." Christina insisted. "It's not you. You're a great guy. It's just not possible."

        "Ah but you forget, you already are my girlfriend, for the evening at least." He looked up at the ceiling and said, "The sky hasn't fallen in on us just yet."

        Exasperated, Christina conceded, "Okay! I'm your temporary girlfriend! Enjoy it while it lasts."

        Richard's only answer was a confident look and a simple nod.

        Feeling even more awkward than she had earlier during her poorly delivered proposal, Christina went back to her food and continued eating. She reached for her glass of wine, but changed her mind before she picked it up.

        Richard asked, "You don't like it?"

        "No, it's not that," Christina explained. "You know, I'm not technically twenty-one for a few months."

        "You've never had wine before?"

        "No," Christina laughed. "I've had plenty of alcohol. It's just that ..."

        "Just what?"

        "Well, I don't want to get drunk."

        Richard flashed his award winning smile and asked, "Are you afraid I might attempt to corrupt a minor?"

        "Wow," Christina laughed, "No. I mean, you know, in case Uncle Alek is waiting for me when I get home ... I don't want him to smell ... you know."

        "Are you that afraid of your uncle?"

        "No," Christina insisted. "I'm not afraid of him. I just respect him. I mean, he makes all those rules 'cause he really loves me."

        In that moment, Richard found that he wasn't quite as angry with Christina's uncle as he had been earlier in the evening. He stood up, went over to his date, and held out his hand. "Perhaps we can find something we can share that won't get you into any trouble."

        Christina looked around to see if she was missing anything. She eventually gave her hand to Richard, and the man helped her to her feet.

        Richard led Christina a few feet away from the blanket, to the door of the gymnasium. Letting go of his date's hand, Richard opened the door and walked in.

        Following after him, Christina went into the fully lit gymnasium and her mouth dropped open. The entire floor was covered by eighteen miniature golf holes constructed out of plywood and artificial grass. As she took in the scene, she saw a few simple holes, one that involved a lot of PVC piping, and in the far corner, she saw an actual windmill.

        "Where did this come from?" she asked.

        Richard picked up two putters leaning against the wall and held one of them out to Christina. He explained, "This is one of Oak Grove's regular contributions to the County Fair. I arranged to have it set up for tonight. I just-"

        "Called in a favor," Christina interrupted.

        "Right," Richard answered with a grin.

        Christina again took in the gymnasium and smiled. She asked, "What made you think I would like miniature golf?"

        Still holding out the putter to Christina, Richard said, "You once told me that your best birthday was when your father took you to play miniature golf."

        "I told you that?" Christina asked, still taking in the sight.

        "Yes."

        "When did I tell you that?"

        "On our fake date."

        She turned to Richard and asked, "And you remembered?"

        "I remember everything you tell me, Princess." He held the putter up again, and said, "And I would like it very much if you would play with me."

        A wide and slightly goofy grin spread across Christina's face as she took the putter. "I would love to," she answered.

 

        Christina and Richard spent the evening playing miniature golf together. With each hole, Christina found that stony facade she'd been trying to present to Richard was being chipped away. She actually allowed herself to enjoy her first real date with Richard Masters.

        Christina practically squealed as they approached the last hole, the one with the large yellow windmill. She placed her ball on the rubber matt at the foot of the hole, but Richard interrupted her. He went to the side of the windmill and flipped a switch. The blades of the windmill creaked to life and slowly crawled in a circle. Each time one of the blades sliced over the floor, they obscured the tiny opening through which Christina needed to hit her ball.

        "Maybe you should let me go first," Richard offered.

        "Why?" Christina said as she excitedly positioned herself next to her ball. "You don't think I can do it?"

        "Let's just say your technique is a little ... raw."

        "Raw!" Christina laughed, "Hello, I'm beating you by five points!"

        Richard bent down in front of Christina and retrieved her ball. He corrected, "You're beating me by five strokes, Princess." Richard put his ball down in place of Christina's and added, "... and that's because I'm letting you win."

        "Oh sure ..." Christina grinned. "That's what I would say if I were losing ..."

        Richard paid no mind to that taunt and positioned himself behind his ball. Christina immediately noticed the practiced form his body assumed; it was nothing like the casual way he'd been playing up until that moment.

        For a short while, Richard's eyes followed each blade, but only while they were strafing the floor. He then made two practice movements which didn't make contact with the ball. Then, without the slightest hesitation, he swung his putter and the ball rolled forward. It traveled up the long ramp and paused slightly at its zenith before rolling between the blades of the windmill and through the opening.

        Shocked, Christina rushed to the back of the windmill and watched as the ball silently rolled out and drifted into the hole as though it had been pulled in by tidal gravity.

        "It's in the hole, isn't it?" Richard called from the other side of the windmill.

        Making a small grimace, Christina returned to her date's side and said, "Okay, so maybe you were holding back a little. I'm still better at this than you are."

        Richard held his hands up, giving Christina a look that said ... "Be my guest."

        After he'd vacated the putting area, Christina took her ball from Richard and placed it back down. She positioned herself, tightened her grip on the putter, then studied the blades of the windmill. Without practice or hesitation, she gave her putter a swing, and her ball launched up the ramp. As it approached the opening in the windmill, one of the blades swung down and a loud THWACK filled the gymnasium as the golf ball collided with plywood.

        The golf ball rolled back down the ramp, and Christina stopped it with her foot. "That didn't count," she insisted as she repositioned the ball with her foot.

        Richard didn't say a word. He simply stood there with his ever-present self-confidence. It only made Christina want to beat the man even more.

        Again lining up for her shot, Christina paid more attention to the windmill. She counted out the seconds as each blade intersected the opening. She repeated it in her mind as she concentrated. When she was certain she had the pattern down, she confidently swiped at the ball again. It sailed up the ramp and was again unceremoniously smacked of course by a blade.

        Turning to Richard, Christina pouted, "That windmill wants to destroy all my hopes and dreams, and I want you to kill it for me."

        Richard laughed out loud at his date's frustration before going over to her side. "Now, can I help you?" he asked.

        Still pouting somewhat, Christina nodded.

        Standing behind her, Richard put his hands on Christina's hips and pulled her against him. "Stand with your feet at shoulder width," he instructed.

        "Like this?" Christina asked.

        "A little wider. Don't lock your legs. Keep your knees slightly bent." Christina complied and Richard encouraged, "Good."

        Christina turned towards the windmill and Richard corrected, "Keep your shoulders in line with mine. Just turn your head." Richard took his hand off of Christina's hips and placed them on top of her hands. "When you grip the club," he continued as he slid Christina's hand down the handle, "Move the right hand further down. Now, grip the top of the handle with your left." He arranged Christina's other hand so it rested on top of her right, and positioned her left pointer finger so it overlapped her right hand. After he had positioned the girl's grip, he left his hands resting on top of hers.

        "Now," Richard said as he started to bend at his waist, "Lean forward and let your arms relax."

        Christina felt the heat from Richard as he bent her forward, moving her butt tightly up against him.

        Richard asked, "Are you relaxed?"

        "Yes," Christina answered, somewhat hazily.

        Richard tightened his grip of top of Christina's hands and swing the club a few times, never making contact with the ball. "Watch the blades," he instructed. "Practice moving your body in time."

        "Okay," Christina exhaled as she allowed Richard to guide her practice swings in time.

        "Just ... keep ... swinging ... until your body is moving at the right rhythm."

        Christina watched the windmill and let her swings match the rising and falling of the blades. She felt Richard behind her, and matched the rising and falling of her breath with his.

        "And when everything is right," Richard continued, "take your swing."

        Christina swung her club, and throughout its arc, Richard's hands clung to hers as a guide. Just as with Richard's shot, the golf ball gracefully climbed the slope, pausing just before rolling flawlessly between the windmill's blades and through the opening.

        Richard released the girl, and her breathing slowly returned to normal. As she turned to face the older man he could see that her cheeks were completely flush. "Just like I said," Richard bragged. "All you need is a little guidance."

        Looking up into Richard's eyes, Christina did not think about whether or not what she was about to do was a good idea. In fact she didn't think it all. She wrapped her arms around Richard's shoulders, and her right hand found the back of his head. Guiding him down, Christina parted her lips and drew Richard into the most passionate kiss they had ever shared.

        They danced in each other's mouths for what seemed like an eternity before Christina pulled away. Her eyes did not leave her date's. She opened her mouth as though she were to say something to dismiss or explain what she'd just done, but no words came.

        Again taking Christina by the hand, Richard led her to the far wall of the gymnasium and sat in the bleachers.

        Christina, still holding Richard's hand, was in sort of a trance. She stood there at the man's side and just stared at him.

        Pulling on her hand, Richard guided Christina down until she was sitting in his lap. He placed his hands on her hips and looked into her eyes.

        Dumbfounded, Christina returned his gaze and just sat there. Again, without actually thinking about it, Christina put her arms over Richard's shoulders and pulled him close to kiss. Sitting in her date's lap, Christina transitioned from one style of gentle necking to another.

        She wasn't sure how long it lasted, but it felt like hours. She only came out of her trance when she heard the tiny electric chiming coming from the watch on Richard's wrist.

        Breaking off the kissing, Richard checked the time. "We have to go. I promised to have you home on time."

        "O ... kay ..." Christina said absentmindedly repeating Nina's speech, but for a totally different reason.

        Grinning, Richard pointed out, "I can't get up until you do."

        Blushing, Christina stood up and waited for Richard to rise.

        The man wrapped his arm around Christina's slender waist and walked slowly with her through the gymnasium to the door on the other side. When they reached the blanket and food, Richard blew out the candles and started packing up.

        Christina had the thought that she should help in some way, but she was still a bit numb.

        After Richard had everything packed, he helped Christina with her coat and led her back to the front doors. Unlocking the door to his convertible, he placed the blanket, basket, and cooler in the back. Then he helped Christina into the car. Before he joined her, Richard went back to the school to lock up. That task complete, he joined his date and started the car.

        On the drive back, Christina was silent. She knew she'd just made out with Richard, and she'd started it. She was desperately searching for some rationale that explain that act; there had to be something that made making out make sense with the rest of her world view. It certainly didn't come to her as she pondered. Giving up on that thread, she tried to reason how long the whole affair had lasted. Was it an hour? It couldn't have been an entire hour. Maybe it was fifteen minutes, she thought. Maybe it was five? She tried to convince herself that it had only lasted a few minutes, that perhaps it didn't actually mean anything. That was the best rationalization she could come up with, and it wasn't a particularly convincing one.

        As if from a great distance, she heard Richard say, "We made it, and with minutes to spare." Looking around, Christina realized that the car had stopped and that she was in her own driveway. Still unable to say anything, she grinned meekly at her date.

        Getting out of the car, Richard went to Christina's door, helped her out, then escorted her to her doorstep. Holding the girl in his arms, Richard leaned in for a kiss, and Christina did not make any protest. After the kiss, Richard said, "Let me take you out again."

        "Um ..." Christina flummoxed. "Why?"

        "Because you're my girlfriend. Not my fake girlfriend, or my temporary girlfriend; my actual girlfriend, and I want to see you again."

        Without allowing time for the word to make a round trip through her brain where it would have almost certainly been censored, Christina said, "Okay."

        Richard kissed the girl again and waited until she went inside.

        As she entered the house, Christina gave Richard a tiny finger-wave goodbye. She paused after closing the door behind her, again trying to ponder what was going on. She felt a cold nose under her palm and realized that Boris had grown tired of waiting for her to notice him.

        Bending down at the knees Christina looked the massive German Shepherd in the eyes and asked, "What the hell was that?"

        The dog's only response was to tilt his head to the side as though he didn't have any better idea than Christina did.

        Returning to her feet, Christina walked through the dark living room with Boris trailing behind. As she climbed the stairs, she thought she heard the familiar creaking that floor boards made when they were taxed with supporting her uncle's weight. She glanced over her shoulder, but saw no one there.


Edited into coherence by Holly H. Hart.
Thanks to Sephrena Miller for taking an early read.
Hope you enjoyed it. If you liked it or hated it, please leave a tasty comment.
Krunch Away!

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice date

OK, now I'm ready to sleep, perchance to dream.

I wonder when/how she will tell Richard or anyone else who she really is, I mean was.

----------
Jenna

Ah, but the Richard is a

Ah, but the Richard is a lawyer with considerable contacts it seems... and he knew where she lived in the city... so could he possibly already know?

He knew where Chris lived?

Where did it come out that Richard knew where she was? I guess I missed that. If it is so then he also knows about her little plumbing problem?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

gwen

Christina

Wow, nice chapter. There is absolutely no doubt that Chris is a girl. Christina definately reacted like a girl and she wasn't even provoked into being a girl, she just naturally fell into the role.

Christina is going to have to make some big decisions soon. Will Misha figure it all out and help Chris become the woman she is?

Good Job
Joni W

More to think about

When Richard was talking to Alek he started to say he knew how bad a year she had before being cut off by Alek.How much does Richard know?Being a lawyer with a crush on Christina he would have had the resources to check on her when she was in the city as Chris did he?Or was he simply remembering what was going on between her and Alek about his tax problems?All questions that I'll have to wait for the answers to.Amy M

Gets Better Every Chapter!

I'm always looking for another chapter, this is one of the best stories I have read to date. Christina needs to reliase she is a girl, and needs to finish transitioning.

*HUGS*
Robi

*HUGS*
Robi

Wiggling in my seat and heart palpitations.

Ladies, it isn't very often that has me giggling and squirming in my seat; is the room hot to you? Giggle. It is nice to see that Richard finally straightened her out.

Now as to the matter of who really knows her status, I think it is obvious.

"As he stepped out of bed, his bare feet touching the cold, hardwood floor, he had a vague memory of Misha putting him to bed in this room. "

That pretty much says it girls.

So, now the question is who is delusional? Or is Mom deliberately using Chris to bring Alek out of a deep depression? Perhaps he had already commented to Misha that Chris looked like Anastaisia.

I know that if my Daughter had died right after we had fought, I would have been a basket case or even taken my own life.

I just know that I am going to have to tear my bodice and loosen my stays or I shall simply swoon !

Gwen

This is annoying

There have been a few references in the comments to Misha knowing Chris's biological gender and dressing him.
Go back and read the end of chapter 2. Chris dressed himself and was just tucked in. No hint that anyone, including Chris really, knows she is male... except Boris.
XX
AD

That was great!

Very romantic. She didn't stand a change after being introduced to the mini golf, and when Richard made clear he just about remembers anything she holds dear, and (re)acts accordingly and positively, it was a clear and cut case. Well, he _is_ a lawyer..

Then what happened next left me as confused as Christina. I mean: What the hell was that? does quite adequately describe what I was thinking at the end. Although clear and crisply written, enticing and emphatically described, it still leaves me in a fuddle about how and why. And that's just great! Who needs explaining, it just happens. Rational is a tool.

Jo-Anne

ok...time out

kristina l s's picture

I sense a masculine conspiracy here between this nautical author person and this oh so smug Richard type. Now he really does need to slip and hit the damn windmill don't ya think girls?? Not that I think he's a total bastard or anything, just a wee bit too sure of himself. A pinch of de-smugging is in order, she can do it if she can get back to a (perhaps more ladylike) Diner scene mindset and a little less goo-goo eye. I don't see any evidence that anyone sees Christina as other than Christina, inlcuding Christina of late... er, did that make sense?
You know I think this is the only story I've ever discussed details and opinions of with a friend in messages... so conspiracies aside Admiral keep it up huh. It is a darn good story. Mildly infuriating at times, but darn good

Kristina

So finally Christina

So finally Christina answered with her heart instead of her head, at least not the brain part, as she did use her lips ALOT. "Giggle". She is finally beginning to understand that she and Richard belong to each other. Just another wonderful chapter in the romance of Christina Chase. Janice Lynn

Devil's Advocate here

I worry for Christina.

Chris is better off as Christina in many ways but why? He is the same person she is except for the confidnence and even then she lets Alex and Richard get their way for a few morsels of love and attention. Even *her* female friends manipulate her.

Unless Chris is intersexed and thus possibly biologically female, at most I see Chris as a considerate, bright man but awkward at love mostly becasue of the terrible upbringing he's had since his real dad died and Mr 'Beatings are good for a kid' became the wicked stepdad. Mom withdrew her love -- if she ever gave it to Chris before -- and the little contact they have since is her blaming him for any and everything wrong that happens. Chris has no suport, no love but as Christina *she* has it by the bucketful, why?

I don't see male and female as narrow definitions, humans are too complex for that. From what I see in life and read there is a wide range -- a so-called normal distrubution for statistics fans -- from effeminant to The Hulk types personality wise as there is a huge range of body types -- tall/short, skinny/fat, masculine/femine -- with most *normal* men in between. Maybe he was TG and the beatings burried that desire until now? Then why does he still desire women?

I am not yet certain she/he desires Richard. I think a lot of what happened with Richard was in responce to his over-the-top display of sweet romanticisim and Chris/Christina's desparate longing for love, love he/she has been all but totally denied since her dad died so long ago.

Maybe she realy is a woman in her heart/mind/soul and I would hope - body as well. I notice how easily he passes as female and hhow readily it comforms to a female shape even without HRT. I'd love it if she was examined and turned out to be mislabled as a man and can become a healthy female. I would equally rejoyce if she/she is TG and for her mental well being becomes SRS female to match body and mind.

BUT if the only reason to become female -- and ultimatly give up any likelyhood of procreation except by saved sprem and a surogate assuming she really is male -- is to get love and attention at any price, that is very sad. Can no one love Chris as Chris? Must he create a false existance, have doctors carve him up, simply to be accepted? Is Chris doomed to be a pretty Frankenstein's monster? The choice must be his/hers and not by cohersion.

Or am I off my trolly

An involving story, Grand Admiral of the Fleet Krunch.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. --DING-DING --

P.P.S. I heard that!

John in Wauwatosa

I agree with John.

Chris or Christina, which is it? I still get the feeling that Chris is being Christina Chase for perhaps the wrong reason. Even Chris doesn't seem to know and doesn't have any one who he trusts to confide in. Just because Christina is happy it doesn't mean this is good for her. I guess I'm saying she needs to be Christina Chase for the right reason and causes, and not just Chris running away from his problems. This keeps coming up and I'm going back and forth with this as well. I'm afraid the only one who knows is the Admiral and he isn't talking. I just hope this doesn't end like "Tootsie" with Christina revealing Chris at her wedding or something!
hugs!
grover

Little Dickie, Crazy Chris, & such

another gripping chapter in the saga of Christine Chase. I still am not sold on liking Richard...... I distrust men like that in all aspects of life. I often wonder if Richard's 'confidance' and arrogance is just a mask, a shield to protect little Dickie? I might like him better if that were the case.

I tend to agree with John and Grover, that Chris is perhaps not in the right mindset...... a person doing this self-delusion as long as he has, without some kind of external support would go mad.

I love Uncle Alek and can see that Chris has always desired a strong male role model in his life, since his father died. Uncle Alek can be over bearing, but has the best of intentions for his niece.

I hope the next chapter has some feed back as to how Uncle Alek and Misha feel about James. I can relate more easily to his character than some of the others.

I did think that Christine's reaction towards the end of the chapter, in the car and entering the house was very well written, and very realistic.

Having said all of that. I do enjoy the story. Thanks for another great chapter, A.K.

A.A.

late comments

I've been out a couple of weeks and just got a chance to read the last two chapters - which I've enjoyed immensely.

I'm also interested in some of the comments, one regarding Misha - does she know??
One the one hand, I'd tend to agree that she does, citing the passage that Gwen, I believe, gave above - I mean it does seem to make sense that, as wet and muddy as Chris was, she would have seen him naked and figured things out.
On the other hand, if that is so, what she has done afterwards doesn't make much sense. First of all, Misha's plan to treat him as a girl would have little hope for success- most people would correct someone else who mistakens their gender. Secondly, Misha has allowed her 14 year old daughter to sleep in the same bed, undress in front of, and otherwise have a very close relationship with Chris. If Misha knew he was a guy, and one she really doesn't know at all (at first) I can't believe she'd allow her daughter to be alone with him (Chris was afraid of much the same thing early on - that the Levchenko's would figure him out and then literally crush him. And, Misha has been (gently) pushing him to date men, whihc would seem a dangerous thing to be doing if she knew his true identity.
So, I'm curious to see which way it goes - I lean more to Misha not knowing, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

The second thing that is fun to read is the reactions to Richard, who has seen more ups and downs in popularity than a presedential candidate. Curently he seems to be dipping in the polls. I rather like him for his faults - it makes for a more interesting story. I'd rather have a lead who has room for change and improvement as the result of the relationship than someone who starts out essentially perfect. And despite some people's assessment of him, I don't think Richard is a bad guy at all - pushy, arrogant and all that for sure, but at his core he's a decent guy. Look at it from his point of view - he knows Chris likes him very much, but for some reason which he can't figure, she keeps pulling back. Plus, he's been trying with her for almost a year now, and has kept trying without resorting to any real bad behavior.

I think she is ready!!!

Pamreed's picture

Ready to accept that she is a girl wants to stay that way!!
That was so romantic, Richard is a good guy, Tina is very lucky!
I think he will understand and accept when Tina tells him her
real history!!