Son or daughter

Printer-friendly version

This is something that came to me over the last few days. It may wind up as a scene in a future story. Or not. But I felt it was worth posting on its own.


"Doctor, we just want our son back."

The therapist sighed.

"I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way..."

The father interrupted, "Don't give me that psycho mumbo jumbo. He's got to live in the real world, not this, this fantasy

The therapist gave his patient's father a look that stopped him mid rant.

"OK, you want the real world? In the real world the fantasy is 'getting your son back'."

He continued, "Look, you never have had a son, no matter what it looked like. She has known she was female as far back as she can remember. Gender identity is a very basic part of someone's personality."

"Your choices are to try to accept her. And work with her to help her transition."

He paused, a sour look on his face.

"Or you can keep trying to force her to be a boy. At best, she'll be utterly miserable. Worse than what led you to bring her to me. At worst, she'll commit suicide."

The mother cried out, "But surely we can stop.."

"No. You can't watch her 24 hours a day. And before you suggest it, any drugs that could stop it would be turning her into the next best thing to a zombie. It'd be totally unethical to do that."

The father muttered, "And this is ethical?"

He wasn't as quiet as he'd thought.

"Yes, yes it is. What you want is more or less brainwashing. Which never works long term. And is considered abuse by all reputable medical and psychological groups. Yes, you may still find a few people willing to do what you want, sir. But it's illegal. And even more likely to eventually result in suicide."

"So, your real long term choices are a dead 'son' or a live daughter. Short term you can try something else, but that'll just be prolonging things and causing all of you a lot of unnecessary pain."

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Powerful scene...

Rhona McCloud's picture

..definitely deserves a spot in a story but would work particularly well in a play/film. Couple of typos

Rhona McCloud

Out of curiosity, what typos

Brooke Erickson's picture

Out of curiosity, what typos do you see? Spell check didn't find any.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Typos....

Rhona McCloud's picture

more or less brainwashing
live daughter. Short

Spell check wouldn't catch those

ps more-or-less as i first wrote is wrong. Sorry about that

Rhona McCloud

Wow

A very emotional bit of writing. Thank you for sharing that with us.

laying it out

that's the choice, right there - dead son or living daughter.

DogSig.png

Very, very awesome scene!

I'm working on a story with a very similar scene, except with a LOT more ugliness and explicit (cursing) language. These type of scenes are hard to write, and you've nailed it. Good job, Brooke!

Marie

I just want to scream.

My parents took the latter course and like so many of us I did not get to become me until I was 55. And for some of us the hate and the bile from family to this day. I just want to stop living right now.

Gwen

Just reread it,

Good stuff.

..... maybe true to life....

.... but only after a lot of heartache and deep deep discussion...... did he/she ever go through a period of just enjoying the joys of dressing??? where's the middle of the story? please fill-in for us!
x