Atalanta's Story- Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Atalanta's Story - Chapter 8. My thanks again for William Durr for all his help. This Chapter is long, probably a little too long, but there was no help for that. This chapter has some adventure in it. This chapter includes a pic of Atalanta as I see her.

Spring brings with it new life, change, and confusion. An opportunity for predators to feed on the young.

Atalanta's Story-Chapter 8

<red-hair-woman-1600x1200.jpg

What happened next may have resulted from not properly vetting new hires in the spring confusion of new hires; both construction hires and hires for seasonal staff.

That Friday dawned to beautiful clear skies that promised a warm spring day with a cheering breeze. Judy was on hand to see her Doctor and construction foreman off.

I was there to see my mom and my mentor off. They were staying overnight, in separate rooms, after securing supplies going to dinner and a movie.

“Have fun,” I said wrapping my arms around her neck and whispering, “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”

“Young Lady you be good while we’re gone and mind Judy.”

“Yes, Mom … you too,” I replied giggling.

I walked to the passenger side, “Take care of my mom,” I said leaning into his window as they were leaving.

I stared long and hard at the dust trail they left behind, “It’s hard sending them off into the world isn’t it,” Judy quipped, jabbing me in a rib with her finger.

“I guess,” I replied absentminded wondering what if anything I had set in motion.

“I’m responsible for you until your mother gets back from the Big City. You stay close today; no, don’t give me the ‘who me’ innocent look. I know you spend a big part of the day out in the hills. You understand me?”

“Yes mom.”

“And I want you to check in with me before dark.”

“Yes mom.”

“Atalanta it will be all right, Manny is a good guy.”

“I know.”

I wandered off, at loose ends with both mom and Manny gone. It was almost a year since my change and during all that time I had my days planned. At first, it was a crash course in all things feminine and immersed in girl culture for several months after the changeling event.

After the backyard barbecue incident on the dance floor, I had traded exclusive feminine soaking for the more virile approach to self-defense training from Manny. The result was that between both for the last ten months I had no time for self-reflection.

Liz, her stomach in knots, stared out the windshield at the road ahead. Her knuckles were white from gripping the wheel. She was second-guessing her decision to leave Atalanta at home. Okay what she was nervous about was asking Manny to go with her. His presence loomed large in her mind.

It had seemed like a lark when Atalanta had first suggested asking Manny to go with her to the Big City using a flimsy reason for an excuse. Reality had struck her hard that morning when he had shown up. Until this morning she had never seen Manny as anything more than Atalanta’s teacher. Certainly a man but her senses were screaming male and she felt trapped, trapped by the SUV’s interior but more from her own mental construct.

She felt his gaze on her.

“Nice weather.”

“Yes, it is.”

She pulled on to the two-lane blacktop leading to town and directly into the rising sun.

“Here,” he said handing her a pair of sunglasses, “this will help with the glare.”

Liz took it silently.

“Thanks.”

He leaned back against the door facing her, an amused smile lighting his eyes with impish delight.
“Relax and just think of me as your flunky if that helps you. We both have been locked down since last fall and I can use a change of scenery as I’m sure you can too.”

“You are right. This is the first time I’ve left Atalanta alone since we moved out here.”

“That girl can take care of herself. Look I know you are worried about her but half the boys guys in my old unit would have a hard time keeping up with her and they’re some of the best in the world. She’ll be fine,” he assured her.

“Maybe so,” She replied rueful her lips thinned in a tight smile, “but she and I both have had a hard year and half, with her losing her daddy and then moving out here. Making that change was my idea and I have to live with the results.”

“The results, Atalanta told me she wasn’t much of an athlete in Philly but I find that hard to believe. She’s the most natural gifted athlete that I’ve had the pleasure of training.”

“No, not those results other results.”

Liz got him talking about himself and changing the subject. He had grown up in the projects in LA and was heading for the courts and prison when one day he happened on a dojo run by a protégé of Bruce Lee. For a 14-year-old boy, martial arts were the means to stay out of gangs and trouble and a way out of the ghetto. At 18, he had joined the military and had spent the next 16 years in the Navy only separating from the service less than a year ago.

“I’ve spent 20 years training and wanted to try something else before I get too old,” he answered to her query of why he had left the military.

Shrugging he continued, “Then I met and started training your daughter.”

“You never got married?”

“Nope, no time and never in one place long enough.”

“No girls in uniform from one of the bases,” she smiled.

“Not really, our unit was secret stuff and I didn’t want to put a girl through that.”

Liz relaxed as they drove and soon they were on the outskirts of the Big City and her first stop.

This spring saw an influx of new hires, for the summer staff at the ranch and for the construction crew. It wasn’t surprising that I met new people as I wandered about.

The twins stood out animated and talkative, playing dress up as a doctor and nurse looking for patients. They were about seven years old, blonde and their cherubic faces masked if they were identical twins and their names, Julian and Julie didn’t help.

“Hi,” I greeted them, “my name is Atalanta, and my mom is the doctor here. Are you her helpers?”

Julie responded with her finger tapping her lips, “I’ll have to interview her first.”

“I’d introduce you,” I assured her promised, “but she’s not here right now.”

“O-kay, do you have a fever, a fever is bad. Can I check your temp-a-ture?”

I knelt and Julie pressed her hand to my forehead, “You don’t have a fe-ver, fe-ver is bad, mommy had a fe-ver before she went away to heaven.”

I gathered each child in an arm and whispered, “I’m so sorry babies. Where’s your daddy?”

Julian pointed to where a group of men was sorting machinery and supplies, “There.”

The men were too tightly bunched for me to pick an individual out but based on the children’s ages I ruled out several. Taking a hand of each child, I marched us over to the group.

The men continued to talk ignoring us.

“Excuse me.”

“These little dickens haven’t gotten into something have they,” said a man in his late 20’s striding over. He was gigantic and dark. Four or five inches over six feet and as wide as a door. Black hair almost blue and sun-darkened skin suggested the children got their fair looks from their mother. However, he had a huge smile as greeted us.

“You’re the children’s father?”

“Yes, and you are …?”

“Atalanta Reed, my mother’s the doctor here. And you are ...?”

“Julian Redmont and I see you’ve met my children. They didn’t get into something did they?”

“No, nothing like that, but it is not safe to leave children unsupervised. With the new construction going on, the hires for the new season, and strangers coming and going,” I explained.

“I’m just getting myself sorted out. I meant to ask Mr. Black about that but it plumb slipped my mind. My wife usually looks after them …” his voice trailed off.

“I’m sorry for your loss; she must have been very beautiful. Fever,” I asked.

He nodded.

I added, “Manny’s not here today. We have a voluntary daycare here, it’s over there,” I replied pointing to an area off the main house that doubled as our schoolhouse.
“If you don’t mind I can take and introduce the children to Mrs. Fairburn and let her know you’ll pick them up … by five.”

He nodded, “Thank you.”

After dropping the children off, I again wandered at loose ends finding myself at the barn. Shadows were just beginning to form inside the hallways as I stopped at the stall where Ready my favorite mount was housed. I scratched her ears while rubbing her muzzle absentmindedly staring into the ether.

At first, I didn’t see the two shadows but something warned me to slide into the stall beside Ready. I felt Ready’s shoulder muscles tense as two men drew closer and I gently soothed her while they glided noiselessly by the stall.

Outside it was still light but in here, it was just enough murkiness to cloud their features, although I knew they were men and wore dark clothing. Something felt off. It might have been the whispers or their furtive movements or something else.

I watched from the shadows as they went into the tack room where extra supplies were kept. Supplies that included those needed for extended camping as well as the saddles and gear. Minutes later, they walked back leading a gentle mustang saddled, with one of the men carrying a backpack and duffel bag.

Ready snorted which I felt like doing.

When I was certain they had cleared the barn, I began to follow the men after going into the tack room for supplies, getting my weapons stash, and then saddling Ready.

I had no clear idea of what I was doing nor why. I just knew I needed to act as an irresistible force was pulling me in its tow. Leading Ready outside I looked to the stars as if for inspiration and cursed myself for this foolish adventure.
Judy would be furious and I refused to think what mom would say. Still I swung on to the back of Ready with my face and lips taught. I idly watched what seemed to be a flurry of activity at the ranch house as a number of people scurried to and fro with lights bobbing and flashing at the shadows.

An innate force pointed me south.

It had been a pleasant day, even enjoyable once the ice had been broken. Liz had gotten all the supplies she had come for with a few extra stops in between for Manny’s wants. His stops were in small unmarked shops where he and the proprietor engaged in small whispered talk. She didn’t see what he purchased.

Later they were seated in a nice upscale restaurant near their motel with the waitress having just taken their order.

“I have enjoyed myself, today. Thank you.”

“Me too, just what the doctor ordered,.” Manny smiled.

The waitress returned pouring her a glass of wine and him a mug of beer. She felt content as she remembered other times of dinner with wine and beer. What was it with men and beer?

“MummMmmm,” she sighed around the wineglass, “I hadn’t realized how much I missed dinner out.”

He said nothing over his beer, his lips lightly coated with the foam.

She smiled at the image.

“So, what are your plans after you’re done at the ranch.”

He shrugged his shoulder slightly, “I’m not sure as I have a few years to decide if I want back in the service. I may take a few more gigs from Mr. Franklin (Manny worked for Franklin construction). I could open my own training school or a security service. To be honest I’m at loose ends with really no set direction at the moment.”

Seeing her frown, he added, “The Navy did all my thinking and it takes some time to get used to doing my own.”

Their food arrived at that moment leaving her comment unsaid. The food was delicious and they silently pitched into it.
Afterwards when the table was cleared and as each was partaking of their favorite liquids Manny asked, “Liz what do you see yourself doing? I mean are you retiring here … not that you are anywhere old enough to … or is this just a way station?”

“Judy’s an old friend; we met in college. I then went into the service to get my other four years paid for and met my future husband there. After I had Atalanta, I got out but Frank was career Army. We moved around a lot so I guess a lot depends on Atalanta and how well she copes out here.”

“I’m confused, that’s several times you’ve referred to a mysterious illness that she has and somehow you give the impression that you’re the cause. From what I’ve seen she’s as healthy as a horse, strong as an ox, and pretty as a picture.”

Liz hid her confusion coughing into her napkin.

“What in the world gave you that impression?”

Manny noticed she answered with a question. Both she and Atalanta were hiding something.

It could wait for another time. He changed the subject.

“You want to see a movie?”

“Why don’t you see what’s playing,” Liz suggested, “while I go freshen up.”

He rose as she did and followed her to retrieve a paper.

Later as they were standing in line outside a theatre a sudden knot in Liz’s stomach caused her to wince. Her pulse and heart quickened.

She stepped out of line to where the din of conversation lessened, “Something is not right. I need to call Judy.”

Manny frowned at the lengthening shadows wordlessly following her to a secluded place.

Retrieving her phone, she dialed Judy’s number that was sent to voice mail. “Judy, this is Liz call me!”
She tried Atalanta’s cell with the same results.

“What’s wrong?” Manny asked.

“I got a bad feeling like I have been punched in the gut and no answer from Judy or Atalanta.”

“I’ll try my guys,” Manny offered.
Manny received a reply on his second try, “What’s wrong?” he asked hearing shouting in the background. After listening, he mouthed to Liz “children missing,” “have you seen the girl … yeah that one. No? Okay, anything else.”

“Let me talk to him.”

He handed her the phone, “You know my daughter … yeah … okay … be sure and call us when you do.”

She handed the phone back, “Like she said call me the minute you know anything, no matter what time. Got it!”

Liz retrieved her keys, “What do we do now?”

Snatching her keys, he led her to the SUV and opened the passenger door, “For now we wait at the motel.”

“Okay,” she responded as he shut the door and she watched him cross in front to the left side of the vehicle, unlock and open the door, buckle himself in behind the wheel, and start the engine.

Her office door opened to admit Lindsey and Judy looked up from her ledgers with raised eyebrows.

“We have a problem.”

Judy closed the register, “Oh?,” she responded expecting a problem in the kitchen.

“Two children are missing.”

That was unexpected.

“Whose children and how long have they been missing,” Judy responded as she rose from behind her desk walking to the door.
“… and has the sheriff been notified?”

“Not yet, the kids are Julian and Julie Redmont, seven-year old twins. Their father is a widower and was just hired last evening on the construction crew. He went to pick them up from the daycare and they weren’t there. That was about an hour ago.”

“I assume we have people out looking for them.”

“Yes it is kind of haphazard though.”

Judy sighed under her breath and made a note to herself to form a security presence that would spearhead for search and rescue. I should have looked into it sooner after Alan got separated from his mother last spring she realized.

“Lindsey, find a bull horn or whatever we have that’ll serve that purpose and have everyone gathered by the playground in ten minutes. We need an organized search or we will just be running overtop of each other,” she directed as they strode down the hall towards the play area.

The children’s father was not hard to pick out; he stood a head taller than those surrounding him. He leaned forward in to the group with a set jaw and his eyes wide flashing fear.

“Mr. Redmont, I’m Judy Fairmont and I’m the owner here. We’ll find your children.”

He stopped pacing.

“Do your children play games like hide and seek? Could they be hiding?”

“Sure, they play games but they know to come when I call.”

“Do you have a recent picture?”

He nodded and reached into his back pocket and handed over a picture to her. Two beautiful angelic faces stared back at her causing her heart to catch. Seeing an aide, Judy sent her to her office to make enough copies of the photograph for everyone to have.

“When was the last time you saw your children Mr. Redmont?”

“Right after lunch about 1 or 2 o’clock I guess. I was with some of the guys sorting out stuff when this young girl-Atalanta-I think her name was, I don’t remember her last name, but I do recall that her momma is the doc here …-”

“… That would be Atalanta Reed, go on.”

“… Anyway she said there is a daycare here and she offered to take them over there.”

Turning to face the growing crowd, Judy called out, “Has anyone seen Atalanta?”

No one had.

She had promised Liz that Atalanta would be fine while she went to the Big City and had a little fun.

“Either of you seen Atalanta since 2 p.m.,” Judy asked both her aide and Lindsey. Neither girl had.

Banging on a metal drum for attention, Judy called out, “We have an emergency, two missing seven-year olds. Copies of their pictures are being passed around. We may also have another one missing, has anyone seen Atalanta?”

It was determined that she was last seen going towards the stables and after investigation her horse Ready and a mustang were missing along with extra supplies from the storage room. While not certain several people recalled seeing at least one stranger loitering about.

Judy put in a call to the sheriff. It would be midnight before a formal search was initiated.

She then noticed the call from Liz.

Oh. Shit!

Manny had ordered coffee from room service and they were seated in her room waiting for someone to call. Liz was seated on the chair at the desk where the phone was located; he was seated across the room at a round table supporting a lamp.

Manny had seen and experienced intuition or gut feelings in the field; most mission survivors had. But this was a first for him where the danger was not immediate and the place remote; there must be some truth to mothers’ intuition he decided.

“Why hasn’t Judy called me back?” Liz whined into the empty air.

At that moment the opening beat of the Ride of the Valkyries filled the room but suddenly stopped when Manny answered his cell phone, “Yes, what is going on out there?” he asked his foreman.

After a brief exchange, he hung up and explained to Liz what he had learned from the call.

“So basically nobody knows anything,” she summarized with a feverish laugh.

“Not true,” he countered, “two children are missing, presumably kidnapped. We can assume it wasn’t for ransom. Their father is a transient worker and makes good money but not enough to justify federal intervention. We know the sheriff has been notified and that the kidnappers have 5 or 6 hours head start. Atalanta may or may not be missing even if her horse is missing. We also know in the early hours there is a lot of confusion and misinformation …”

“… God,” Liz cried throwing up her hands, “that’s just what I said; we know nothing. I can’t stay here,; I’m going home. Tonight. Now! Are you coming?”

“… We also know why Judy hasn’t called you back.”

Packing her suitcase Liz paused, “I don’t care.”

“Look,” he replied calmly as he walked over to where she was folding her clothes and gently encouraging her to sit on the bed. “I’ve been through these types of scenarios before and first things first. You are right about not having enough information though and I have resources for that. Now while I’m making some calls I want you to call the front desk to see if they have any state road and topographical maps or see if they will send out for such a map. Can you do that?”

Liz nodded thankful for something to do and direction.

Manny made his calls while he carried her luggage to his room and packed his things. Together they rode the elevator to the lobby, checked out, and secured the maps.

Liz’s phone rang as she was fastening her seatbelt and Manny was turning the ignition on the vehicle.

“Judy, what in hell is going on?”

Manny with his eyes on the road asked when the call ended, “Anything new?”

“Some people think they saw one or two strangers but they are not sure with the recent hiring. They definitely had horses though; the people were sure about that. Since there are no new horses stabled and instead two mounts are missing, Atalanta’s horse Ready and a gentle little mustang, they are going on the assumption the children have been kidnapped. Atalanta may be out searching for the children on horseback or she may have been kidnapped too. She seems to have disappeared about the time the children did.”

Manny had his own ideas about Atalanta being kidnapped; he debated whether to tell her but decided in the end she needed to know.

“Liz-Liz, listen to me. Atalanta has not been kidnapped. You can be sure of that; I am.”

“How-how can you be so sure?”

“I trained her, I know what she is capable of and believe me if they had made the mistake of trying to take her, the perpetrators would be either in jail or the hospital.”

“She is not one of your-a- boys and she can’t do what she used to could; I mean a girl is not as strong as a boy. Those men could overpower her.”

Manny wondered at the strange reference but decided to file it with the other slips he had noticed.

“Liz, I don’t care if she used to be Genghis Khan. I’ve trained, and trained with hundreds of Seals in the last 16 years and Atalanta can whip most of them including Genghis Khan. She’ll be fine.”

Liz wasn’t so easily convinced, “But these men are thugs and used to violence.”

“And Atalanta isn’t?”

“Yes.”

“Trust me. She will respond as she has been trained. And she has been trained well,” he spoke with pride.

At that moment the Valkyrie Ride began playing, “What have you got?” He then received two more calls in quick succession. They were now at the midway point between the Big City and home. Manny pulled into the next rest stop.
There he quickly gathered the maps and beckoned Liz to follow him to the visitor center where he spread the maps on the table.

“Why don’t you get five bottles of water and candy bars while I mark out our route?”

Liz muttering under her breath complied and quickly returned her arms full. “What now oh master.”

He grinned at her sarcasm, “You need to use the bathroom?” She did she realized.

He stuffed the bounty into duffel bag that he always carried and when she returned said, “I called in some favors and we got a hit, here,” he pointed to a marked area on the map, “that maybe them and this is our route,” he continued pointing to a road he had highlighted.

She saw that the turnoff was not far ahead, “You think that the kidnappers are there and that Atalanta is somewhere close by.”

“I do.”

“Why don’t we call the sheriff and what if you are wrong?”

He knew he wasn’t, “Why don’t you call Judy and see if anything new has come up. If there is not anything new, tell her where we are and what we plan to do. We’ll cover more ground this way. While you’re doing that I’m going to the little boy’s room.”

“Okay.”

He returned with two coffees, handing her one as she ended her call, “Well?”

“You were right and Judy is overwhelmed. She has called the sheriff but it’ll be midnight before they can get organized on their end.”

He nodded, “That is what they count on; a couple of hours head start and then several more hours of confusion.”

“What did you do with the water and candy, and why did we need it?”

“The kids will probably be hungry,” he replied patting his his duffel bag.

“Oh.”

“How long until we get there,” she asked when they were back in the vehicle.

“About two hours,” he replied starting the engine and pulling out on to the interstate.

I silently cursed, forgetting both a light and my jacket. The dry high desert air lost heat quickly when the sun set. I leaned low on the animal’s back to cut the air around me and leech what heat I could from the horse.

It was too dark to track, even if I knew who or why I was tracking. I had just a feeling that those men were up to no good and quickly surmised that they headed in a southwest direction. I knew they had stolen a horse and supplies; I was determined to find out what else they were planning.

I didn’t like thieves.

I wasn’t far behind them and was careful to not become careless by hurrying as I assumed they would make camp sometime during the night. I should call Judy and let her know where I was. I’d catch hell if I didn’t.

That was when I discovered my third mistake; my cell phone didn’t have a signal, the battery was low and inadvertently the ringer was turned off. I swallowed hard at the missed calls from mom, Judy, Lindsey, and Manny.

Using the phone’s light I was puzzled that the first calls had been made a little before six p.m., well before I should have been missed. There had to be an extraordinary reason to call that early, then remembering the flurry of activity that I saw leaving the stables.

Not wishing to face what I was sure emotional pleas from the girls, I decided to listen to Manny’s message instead, “Atalanta you need to call your mother when you can she is worried about you. I’m not, I’ve got confidence in you kiddo. Two children were kidnapped from the playground today by two strangers on horseback. Unless I miss my guess, you are trailing them. I have an idea where they are heading and if my guess is right, your mother and I will probably meet up with you on your way back. Be careful.”

Damn and double damn.

I turned the power off to the cell phone opting to save the battery for when I got a signal to call out on. I now knew why I had so many calls and what the men in the stable were up to. I doubted they were after ransom as that left human trafficking or pedophiles as likely reasons. It was even more urgent that I catch up to them tonight.

The moon when it rose bathed the landscape in an eerily other world glow casting shadows into gulches and ravines. Weird shadows rose from rocks and trees; seemingly altering their shapes at will mocking me.

Nonetheless, I followed an innate guidance that led me into a blind box canyon that hid their fire until I stumbled almost on it.

I sent a silent prayer upwards that their horses were picketed at the back of the canyon where they didn’t pick up the scent of Ready or that her hooves hadn’t struck a rocky surface. I backed her up carefully to keep her from giving us away.

I halted Ready and tied her to a bush far enough away to keep her quiet, sensing there was no four-legged predators close. I then ghosted through the trees, bushes, and between the rocks until I was close enough to feel some heat from the fire.

From my vantage I saw the kids were in a sleeping bag, resting near where the horses were. One man was asleep between the kids and the fire. The other man was by the fire, standing guard. Or pretending to, he was bound to be night blind from the firelight.

I weighed my options.

I could simply pick them off, first the guard and then the sleeper. I discarded that idea quickly. That would be murder and I wasn’t a murderess. Murphy’s law was a bastard and the sleeper was near enough to use the children as hostages. I felt that in hand-to-hand I could quickly subdue them, but it held the same drawback as in the first option. I needed a plan that brought both them close together.

A sense of urgency struck me as a risky plan began to form. My mind made up, I silently glided back to where Ready was hitched. There I checked my phone for a signal. It was weak but I did have a signal and looking at the stars I realized I was close to the border. My stomach was doing back flops and my scalp and shoulders was tingling.

I dialed, “Manny,” I whispered to the scratchy hello.

“Yes, this Atalanta.”

“Yeah, Manny, the battery is weak. Just listen. I’ve found the kidnappers camp. I’m worried about the kids and reinforcements arriving. I have a plan.”

Silence greeted me and I was afraid I might have been disconnected, “Atalanta do you know your location?”

“Negative, but I’m close to the border.”

“Kiddo you can do this, remember what I taught you. Your mother and I will be there shortly. Be careful.”

“I will,” I said into a failed phone. I was glad the cavalry wasn’t far behind.

Shrugging, I began removing and hiding my guns and meager supplies under some bushes. I opted to carry the dead phone, reasoning it might offer both support that I was lost and a distraction. Determined I swung up on to the saddle to put my plan into motion.

“That was Atalanta, wasn’t it? Why didn’t you let me talk to her? Why did she call you and not me? I’m her mother. Is she all right and where is she?”

“You finished,” he asked quickly glancing at her.

“Yes, until I have more questions or some answers.”

“Yes that was Atalanta and her phone just died or I’m sure she would have asked for you. She called me because she knew I have been through these things before but she sounded fine and no, she doesn’t know exactly where she is. Except that it is close to the border. South and west of our location I think.”

“Are you sure?”

How can anyone be sure of anything? He ignored the queasiness passing it off as pre battle jitters, “As sure as if it was me there.”

“I wish it was you.”

Me too, “call Judy and give her these coordinates,” and he rattled of a set of numbers from his phone, “let her know what is happening and have somebody in the sheriff’s office guard the southwest border.”

As Liz dialed she cried, “Can’t you go any faster?”

“Not safely,” he answered, nevertheless pushing the accelerator harder.

“Hello, the camp. I am lost and cold,” I cried out in my best little girl voice stopping at the edge of the fire's light.

“Who are you?”

“I am lost and cold,” I repeated, “can’t I come and warm by the fire,” I whined. I sensed rather than heard movement from the camp.

“Yeah,” came back the reply, “but come in slow and easy and your hands in plain sight.”

“Okay, thanks mister.”

As I urged Ready forward a strong light blinded me momentarily and in that instant a pair of strong hands pulled me out of the saddle and I hit the ground hard on my side.

“What did you do that for mister?” I wailed sprawled out on the ground breathing hard.

Ignoring my question, he reached down to pull me to my feet. I resisted, instead going limp.

“Brat,” he spat. “Monty, get over here and let’s show this kid she needs to learn a hard lesson.”

“Sure,” he swaggered over, a nasty grin spread over his face, “it will be a pleasure.” A fleeting sense of fear was quickly replaced by anger that settled into an eerie calm as I grabbed his swinging booted foot and twisted, sending him into his partner. In the confusion, his pistol fell to the ground as he tumbled forward. I snatched it up with one hand and with my other hand made into a fist; I buried it into his crotch.

I regained my feet before the second man reacted moving in behind him as he fought to regain his balance. Catching his flailing hand and using his leverage I applied force to his wrist bending it back and forced him to the ground.
I picked up the second gun from where it fell and with a gun in each hand I stepped back,“On your feet,” I snarled.

“Fuck you,.”he sneered.

“Not now, not ever, and not even in your dreams,” I replied coolly.

“Make me.,” Monty blustered.

“Not a demanding job,” I returned contemptuous, “but I don’t have time to mess around with you boys. Either you do as I say when I say or I shoot you both in the knees and leave you out here. I’m sure your partners will patch you up.”

I saw their surprise, “We don’t have any partners,” Monty he of the swinging boot denied weakly. Before either reacted, I brought the gun barrel down on his collarbone hard.

“Oh-h,” he screamed going to one knee, “you broke it.”

“You rather it was your head. Now, saddle up the horses and be quick about it.” I watched eagle-eyed and wired, ready to spring at a second’s notice of trouble. The sense of urgency heightened.

“What did you use to drug them with,” I asked indicating the occupants in the motionless sleeping bag.

“A mild sedative, they should be coming to before long.” I had suspected as much.

Keeping the kidnappers in sight, I moved into the bushes and picked up 50 feet of nylon rope that I cached earlier.
Stepping back into the light of the fire, I removed the wicked tanto designed knife from its hidden location and cut the rope into the desired lengths. I saw their recognition of defeat. Tossing a section to Monty I indicated him to tie his partners hands in front, “And make it secure,” I warned.

After inspecting the knot, I indicated him on to the saddle. Tie his hands to the pommel.” Monty grumbled but complied. Throwing him another section, “Loop it around his boot,” I commanded and then after passing the rope under the horse had him tie it to his other boot.

“I’ll break my neck if I fall off,” the mounted man complained.

“Then don’t fall off.”

I had Monty use another length of rope to tie the horses together by their pommels. Another piece of roped was looped around his good hand and tied it on the off cinch buckle.

Some stray sound warned me. The two would-be bad guys hadn’t heard so I had a few minutes to prepare. I hid Ready behind a tree and noiselessly slipped up on my prisoners, “When your friends get here call them in and be damn careful about it. I’ll be watching.”

Seeing their goggle-eyed expression, I knew I had them convinced I had superpowers. Maybe I did.

I slipped deeper into the trees about thirty feet in front of the camp and waited. Less than five minutes later, the creak of saddle leather and muffled sounds of hoofs reached us. From where I was located, I could see clearly the look of surprise on my prisoners’ faces. With a wave of my guns, I indicated a warning.

“Hello, the camp.”

“Is that you Sarge?”

Sarge? Military? It didn’t matter. Focus!

“Who else would be out tonight?”

“Come on in then. We’ve already broke camp.”

“Getting cold feet,” the cold voice demanded as he and two other riders, in single fashion rode into the light thrown by the fire.

“You’re covered, anybody so much as twitches is dead before they hit the ground,” I drawled stepping from the shadows. “Lose the hardware quick but be slow about it.”

Sarge knew what I meant; I could see it in his eyes.

“Do as she says; we’ll have our chance later,” Sarge snarled. I heard three distinct thuds, one that landed suspiciously close to my feet.

I kept my focus.

I moved closer to Sarge, “One at a time, step down from the saddle and be deliberate about it starting with you,” I ordered pointing to the last member. One at a time, they complied.

“You let a slip of a girl get the drop on you,” Sarge snarled at ‘swinging boot’ pointing towards the pistols in my hands.

“It was easy,” I laughed, moving even as I spoke, and the point of my boot meeting his hamstring high up. Going down to one knee, he bit back a groan.

“You know why I did that?”

Sarge nodded, “Yeah it’ll tighten up my hamstring if I don’t keep moving. It seems we all underestimated you.”

“You did but I didn’t.” Removing my knife, I repeated the process I began with Monty and in five minutes the three men were hogtied to their saddles with the injured men, Sarge, walking on the point and Monty at drag of the procession.
The children were too groggy to ride unassisted so they rode on my horse in front of me where I could keep them safe. I sent Manny a text from a confiscated phone that the children were all right and I had prisoners and included the GPS coordinates.

Unwilling to leave my weapons and supplies I veered off and finding my cache I reached down from horseback to gather up my gear, tossing their weapons in favor of those I was familiar with and had holsters for.

I then quickly caught up the column with only Sarge being the wiser.

“Who taught you kid,” he asked with grudging admiration.

“You’ll meet him.”

The beep alerted Manny to an incoming text. He slowed while reading the message noting the coordinates. Grinning broadly, he handed the phone to Liz, “Here read it. Atalanta and the children are fine and she’s coming in with prisoners.”

“Thank you God for bringing my baby safe to me,” she breathed smiling her face wholly radiating.

“I need to hear her voice.”

“Don’t,” he warned sharply, and more gently continued, “You might distract her at a wrong moment. We are no more than ten minutes away from their location. Call Judy and forward her the coordinates. Tell her to have a helicopter dispatched. The kids might need more medical attention than we can provide out here.”

Programming the coordinates into the vehicle’s guidance system, Manny drove, his attention divided among the road, Atalanta, and Liz’s conversation with Judy. He almost missed the turnoff; what looked like an overgrown wagon trail that led them farther into the canyons and sharply etched gullies.

After ten minutes and only a couple of miles, the SUV’s headlights revealed a procession that Manny had not seen except in Hollywood. Plodding across the barren desert floor, he saw seven horses, four with riders; five tightly bunched, then a single rider with what looked like smaller forms in front and a single pony. He nodded with satisfaction at the two walkers on point and drag.

He stopped to marvel.

“Why are we stopping?”

“To appreciate second chances, and what your daughter has accomplished this night. Do you know why those kids were kidnapped?”

Liz shook her head not thinking that far ahead.

“They were going to be sold into sex slavery; used up or dead by the time they were teenagers. I know you believe in second chances or else you would not have sold out and moved here.”

Liz shivered at that realization. “You are right, I do.”

“Atalanta just gave those kids a second chance at a happy and fulfilled life and I want to take a moment and appreciate that gift. Who knows, those kids might be one reason you moved here. I’ve seen stranger things happen.”

The red numerals, suspended read 3:31 a.m. as Judy looked across the desk at Sheriff Beckham, “Any news Sheriff?”

Judy was tired, bone tired and blurry eyed weary. Running a profitable business needed someone to stay alert and anticipate. Her first concern was for the twins and her friend Liz and Atalanta but she did anticipate bad publicity might adversely affect her summer business. Many of her staff was like family and she didn’t want to have to lay off people.

The waiting was wearing on her frayed nerves as was the effects of the caffeine, but she needed the bracing coffee gave her.

She knew the first 24 hours was crucial in executing a safe return of missing children and so far they were not any closer than when the Sheriff was called. The 24 hours was quickly expiring.

The sheriff and his deputies spent two hours verifying the same data and interviewing the same people and came to the same conclusion as she had: Namely, two strangers on horseback had kidnapped the twins and possibly Atalanta. They had stolen a horse and supplies and left in who knew which direction. The crime could have happened between 3 and 5 p.m. In 12 hours the perpetrators could be almost anywhere in a 50-60 mile radius.

Nobody had a clear description of the strangers and if they passed the children off to another group then in all likelihood they would remain anonymous. At that point neither recovery of the children nor prosecution was likely. The criminals didn’t have a large population to hide in but the land could act effectively as a shield.

Bloodhounds had been brought in to track the children but so far they had not been able to hit consistently. The dog handlers surmised the wind was blowing the scent away from the dogs and possibly the theory that they were on horseback also masked their smell. The dogs and handlers were proceeding southwest on that theory. Until daylight, all they could do was wait and position assets.

Beckham shook his head, “I’m sorry Judy.”

Her phone rang, “Excuse me Sheriff. Yes. Liz, where are you. Yes. Just a moment.”

Finding a pencil, she quickly wrote a series of numbers and repeated them. “Got it. Thank God and yeah, I’ll tell him, he’s sitting across from me. And I want to talk to her too. Bye.”

“Good news sheriff that was Liz. She got a text from her daughter with her coordinates and that the children was safe and that she has captured the kidnappers. She said to bring a helicopter that the children might need medical attention.” She handed the note to the sheriff who immediately called and put a chopper in the air using the coordinates.

They were both smiling after he hung up the phone, “This is one story I have to hear.”

“Me too, it is hard to believe a 14-year-old girl could not only find the kids but get the drop on the two bad guys.”

I felt their presence before the headlights illuminated us. It might be a mother/daughter thing or heightened senses but I knew help had arrived before their lights came into view or heard the engine noise.

I had no desire to halt the caravan or hurry to the vehicle that held mom and Manny. At that moment, my focus was on the twins bundled in my arms and keeping the men occupied by moving. I didn’t dare think any farther than the next step of the horse-each foot of ground gained was a small victory.

The SUV stopped a hundred yards short of us and I felt a sense of pride that Manny was essentially letting me deliver the bad guys. I straightened in the saddle and kicked my horse to close the gap.

“Hurry up guys; we have a train to catch.” Bellyaching and moaning reached me on the wind and I smiled.

As we got closer, I saw two figures in front by the grill where the larger figure was encouraging the smaller silhouette to wait. I hoped she’d wait.

She did until we were about twenty yards away and I kicked my horse ahead to meet her and Manny.

“Manny will you take charge of these ‘outlaws’ while I get these little ones out of the cold.”

“With pleasure … soldier.”

I smiled back at him.

“Mom can you help me get them inside, they have been drugged. I’ll tell you all about it later. Okay?”

Together we managed to carry the twins into the safety of the truck where I resisted Mom’s efforts to stay inside.

From her viewpoint at the front of the SUV, it was hard not to run out to meet them but Liz saw that her daughter was fine. And she did feel a sense of pride swelling up as they drew closer, as Manny had predicted she would. He had also said that Atalanta would want to formally hand the prisoners off. She did feel some sense of the accomplishment what Atalanta had managed tonight.

As they drew closer, the headlights revealed five trussed up fugitives meekly complying with her daughter’s orders.
She heard Atalanta ask Manny to take charge of the outlaws and then ask her to help get the children out of the cold. Without being rude, Atalanta insisted on going back outside and tonight she had a commanding presence that Liz found hard to resist. Torn between two separate maternal instincts she followed Atalanta to where Manny was exchanging talk with one of the men.

“Sarge I’m not surprised to find you mixed up in shady deals; but this is low even for you.”

“Hawk, you train her?”

Manny nodded.

“Well this little hellion jumped me and my boys for no reason.”

“Took advantage of your generous nature did she?”

Sarge glowered silently, grimacing while shaking his leg.

“Charlie horse?” Manny inquired innocently.

“You taught her that little trick, and you know damn well it’s knotting up.”

“I do,” he laughed.

Liz clearly confused asked, “What trick?”

Manny answered, “A little known effect is enough force on a hamstring will cause it to tighten and knot up unless kept warm. The best way to keep it warm is exercise. Walking is good exercise.”

“Worked like a charm, while he was telling me what a bad man he was I kicked his rear.”

"-She created three groups each with conflicting concerns, Sarge at point wanted to keep his leg warm, Monty in the rear was protecting his shoulder and all the three riders wanted was neither to spook their horses. Beautiful," Manny beamed at Atalanta.

While she was mulling at the change in Atalanta, Liz heard a roar from overhead as the chopper arrived and landed stirring up dust devils. Minutes later the landscape was lighted as several sheriff vehicles descended.

The sky was just turning salmon when they got back into the truck following the sheriff dept vehicles out which included two-horse trailers. One set of investigators were assigned to backtrack to the camp and collect evidence.
Atalanta refused transport to the hospital opting to ride back with her mom and Manny. Shortly she was curled up in the back, asleep.

“What happened to my daughter tonight?”

“She grew up some.”

“You had a hand in this,” Liz accused.

“Some,” he admitted, “but it’s not all my doing. Something happened to her right after you all moved here. What the change was, it helped. I’m good at what I do, but that girl is one-in-a-million, make that one-in-ten-million.”

Liz remained silent as she debated how much to reveal. In the end, she decided on a partial telling, “You’re right something did happen but I can’t tell you what right now. When she wakes I’ll discuss it with her but I don’t think she will mind you knowing.”

Two days later, we had all gathered in Judy’s conference room. Mom, Manny, and I were seated together at one table alongside Judy and a Mr. Shark who was Judy’s lawyer. Julian Redmont and the twins completed the seated arrangements at our table. The experience had done nothing to curb the twin’s propensity to meet strangers.

The second table was occupied with the law enforcement contingent, Sheriff Beckham, the deputy that was here that night, and the lead investigator from the Sheriff’s office. Also present were three prosecutors, one each from the county, state, and federal district, two members from the FBI’s Internet Crime Task Force, a Captain in the State Police, and a court stenographer.

At the third table, I learned was the chopper pilot, a dog handler, the two drivers that hauled the horses back, two doctors that examined the children and the suspects.
Sheriff Beckham cleared his throat, “First this is like an informal judicial hearing and I’m the acting magistrate ; we’re here to determine facts and the exact charges filed. Doctors, why don’t we start with your reports and observations?”

Kim Cruz who had examined the children and me began, “The children had traces of narcotics left in their system when I saw them at 7 a.m. They were in fair condition, dehydrated, hungry, tired, and dirty. I kept them overnight for observation, but I believe overall they are in good health and spirits leaving minimal impact,” she finished smiling at the children who were engrossed in self-entertainment.

“I saw Atalanta Reed later the same day and she seemed none the worse after riding all night, rescuing the children and capturing the criminals.”

“Alleged criminals,” the words came from a man who had entered the room unnoticed.

“This is a private meaning and who are you?” The sheriff’s voice rang clear.

“Justin Case, defense attorney and I am the adversarial part of our justice system, to balance the scales of justice.”

Sheriff Beckham scowled and growled, “Sit down and shut up. I’m running this meeting; any follow-up questions will wait until we’ve completed the walkthrough.”

Case nodding, found an empty chair and moved it to our table. Papers rustled briefly as he opened his briefcase. I tensed, boring holes through him, if looks could kill.

Manny whispered words broke through the red haze, “Remember girl you kick tail.”

I then relaxed even smiling sweetly at the lawyer.

“Where did this take place?” Beckham was asking Dr Cruz.

“At the Pine Bluff Medical Center.”

“And how long have you been employed at that Center?”

“Five years.”

“Okay, thanks that is all for now.” Beckham turned to the other Doctor.

“Your name and where you are employed, how long and the conditions of said alleged criminals.”

“Dr. Horace Minnifield, I have been employed 10 years with the county clinic at Rockdale. Three people outside of minor bumps and bruises were fine. Two people were treated for more serious injuries but nothing that won’t completely heal given time.”

“What was the nature of these injuries doctor?”

“One has a broken collarbone and the other a distressed or pulled hamstring.”

“What in your expert opinion caused these injuries?”

“The broken collarbone was caused by a hard object of some kind-a club …”

“… And the second one?”

“The hamstring is harder to diagnose but bruising at the back of the leg indicates blunt force trauma.”

“Where was this bruising located, Dr.?”

“Immediately under his cheek.”

“That would be the butt cheek, wouldn’t it doctor.”

“Yes, that is correct.”

“In other words, he had his rear end kicked.” That remark brought out smiles and one frown.

“That, in essence is correct what happened.”

The Sheriff proceeded to continue the interview and set up a timeline of events. The twins only knew two men had said they were to take them to their father.

Finally it was time for me tell my story to fill in the blanks.

“Atalanta, start wherever you want and tell your part in it.”

I started by telling that since I was at loose ends I had went to the stables to visit with Ready and how I hid in Ready’s stall and watched as the two men stole the horse and supplies. Then I waited, following them at a distance. I also told how I forgot to include a jacket or flashlight and didn’t think of using my cell phone until hours later when the battery was dying and no tower signal.

I told of my thought processes after almost accidentally riding into their camp and the capture of the alleged kidnappers.

The sheriff was interested in why I chose to return Manny’s call and not the others chiefly my mother’s calls.

“Sheriff to be honest I made some assumptions. I assumed the calls from Judy, mom, and Lindsey was because I forgot to check in. If I called them, understandably they would have a lot of questions that I was afraid my battery wouldn’t last that long. I wasn’t due to check with Manny so I figured his call was different. I chose the odd man.”

“To be fair he was the only man.”

“I’m also interested in why you took the actions you did after finding the camp.”

“After getting my heart out of my throat, I sneaked back into camp close enough to feel warmth from the fire. My first thought was an ambush but I discarded that for two reasons: The first being that shooting them from ambush would be murder and the second is that them being separated there was a chance of one getting to the children and holding them hostage. I felt my best chance was drawing them in together.”

“Thank you Atalanta, that is all from me. Anybody else have any?”

“I have one or two if I may,” Mr. Case spoke for the first time since his announcement at the door.

“Make it short and to the point, Mr. Case,” the sheriff growled in reply.

“Miss Reed you are what 14? Most 14 year olds recall and wits are not matured as well as yours seems to have. Frankly, Miss Reed I find your story hard to believe and it is your word against at least three of the men as what their intention were. I’d like to see a demonstration of your physical prowess before I consider your story true.”

“Quite frankly Mr. Lawyer, I don’t care what you believe, but I do understand when it comes to twelve all it takes is one to get these scumbags off. I have a counter offer subject to agreement.”

Mr. Case look of disdain was replaced by concern at my challenge.

“And Miss Reed what is your proposal,” he replied smoothly half-bowing.

“I think for a game to be interesting both sides should have some skin in the game. I don’t see what it’s costing you if you lose.”

“What is your proposal?”

“That’s up to the prosecutor.”

I was quickly corralled by the Sheriff and other LEOs as well my friends, family, and Manny as I outlined my plan.

“What were you thinking,” mom asked me evenly, followed by a chorus of agreement.

“Well let me ask you a question. Can a good lawyer cast doubt on my story by casting doubt on how I captured those crooks?”

The state’s attorney answered, “The answer is yes, he could, and it might mean anything from acquittal to a hung jury. At least for the last three it might, though we did find evidence in their vehicle that supports human trafficking.”

I explained my plan, and after pros and cons, I had enough support to offer Case the deal.

The Sheriff acted as our spokesman, “Mr Case you have doubts that Atalanta can do what she says she can do?”

“Yes I have my doubts about that and about what she was doing out there in the first place. I simply don’t believe she can overpower five men without help. If she is exaggerating those details the rest of her story is open to debate.”

“You look like you are in good shape and can take care of yourself.” Justin Case was in his early thirties and fit, he worked out three days a week and boxed some in college.

He smiled, “I stay in shape.”

“Here’s the deal,” the sheriff returned the lawyers smile, “Atalanta has offered to box you in an exhibition match. You win the charges are reduced to trespass and theft. You lose you plead your clients guilty of first degree kidnapping and human trafficking charges.”

The Sheriff's words hung sharpened by the sudden silence.

Case licked his lips, his eyes darting wildly about the room, “I’m sorry,” he replied quickly, “but I cannot place my clients lives in that type of jeporady.”

“I thought so,” the sheriff responded bluntly.

The DA indicated that first-degree charges of kidnapping with aggravating circumstances were being served that afternoon on the five men.

Manny and I exchanged concerned looks as we left the room in mass with him occupying mom and Judy while I drifted back. We filed down the hallway that forced walking two-by-two’s until Manny was at my shoulder.

“You thinking, what I think your thinking?”

I nodded, slowing my steps.

I sensed or felt the intent as I cleared the building. All the room’s occupants were milling about outside as we had straggled out, the last of the group. I was dead last while Manny shepherded the women out of harm’s way.

He came at me hard and fast from my left side which I side stepped and ducked under a wild right, countering the punch and adding to his momentum by a kick to his right side. His forward twisting movement placed me directly at his rear where my booted foot made contact with his rear. He sprawled hitting the dirt with a loud thud. He was agile and fast for a big man, twisting as he fell to land partially on one shoulder and quickly in one continuous motion, rising to his feet.

Anticipating his move, I followed still at his rear and another well-placed kick sent him to the dirt for the second time.

“Stay down mister,” I warned, “Or I’ll have to hurt you.”

Growling, from flat on his back he sprung to his feet, executing a perfect kip-up kipped up facing me.
That I did not expect. But I caught the back of his wrist in my right hand as he threw a right hook towards my jaw, and stepping into his body, I used my left hand as leverage to force his arm back and him to the ground. As we fell, I heard the pop of his shoulder dislocating it from its socket.

Using his arm as leverage I kept up the pressure and controlling his body, “Are we through,” I hissed through clenched teeth, “or do I have to really hurt you.”

“I’m done.”

“Good,” I declared untangling from his body and getting to my feet.

A dislocated shoulder is painful and was clear on his face when he straightened up to his full height.
Holding his right arm tight to his body with his left hand he apologized, “I deserved this.”

“Yes you do, Want me to pop it back in place.” I responded surprise at offering. Was that was me speaking?

“Sure, I appreciate it.”

“Let me,” Manny offered stepping forward. I nodded appreciatively as he popped it into place. The man experimented by rotating his shoulder slowly at first. Satisfied he stepped forward offering me his hand, “No hard feelings?”

“None that I won’t get over,” I declared taking his hand.

I had one loose end to wrap up.

I stalked over to where the lawyer, Justin Case, was watching and getting in his face I drawled, “You didn’t have the guts to take an aboveboard deal but you instead hire someone to ambush me. I ought to kick your tail right now.”

“Get off my property and don’t ever think about coming back. That goes for both of you. Sheriff I want a restraining order for him that keeps him from my property and me.”

Mom spoke then, “I want one too for me and my daughter.”

The sheriff his eyes leaping fire grimly stated, “I’ll even bring the papers out for you to sign. Hell, forget that, I’ll sign them myself. Now, both of you git!”

Looking around at the faces that surrounded me I saw both fear and respect reflected.

Later as we walked towards our cottage mom asked Manny, “You knew?”

“No,” he replied, “I suspected something based on experience but Atalanta knew. Mrs. Reed as I told you, she is special.”

“You knew,” she asked me.

I shrugged, “Yeah, I knew.”

“How?”

“I don’t know how I knew. I could have read it in his face or felt it in his aura or a little birdie could have told me. All that I do know is that, that knowing is as much a part of me as breathing is and we mostly don’t think about breathing. If the how you are asking is to describe a process then I can’t anymore than I can describe mechanics of respiration.”

Days turned into weeks and weeks into months and spring into summer. The kidnapping never made any but the local papers and had no effect on bookings for the spa and dude ranch. Mr. Redmont and the twins stayed through the summer.

Something I should have pointed out earlier this story is copyrighted and I reserve all rights. I don't want it altered or reproduced somewhere without having control. That said I'm not hard to get along with. Also I took liberties with the sheriff's court as I don't believe you'll find many jurisdictions where this would occur.

I do appreciate you reading and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. And I'll answer any questions or comments that I can.

Thanks

Katelyn

up
281 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Please continue!

No matter wether you have our heroine go to Whateley or not this series has the potential for a long run. Personally, I'd like for her to go to Whateley and meet Team Kimba. GREAT SERIES!

Team Kimba

My favorite bunch at Whateley. I'm not sure of the date in this story so anything is possible.

Thanks for reading and the comments

Katelyn

This is getting better and better. You are to be comended

I was a bit uncomfortable with the first chapter as there were a lot of similarities to the Jirra Reid saga of Julie_O.

But as my Joanie of Timeout is much inspired by Jennifer Stevens of Zapped, so who am I to judge.

-- grin --

But since then you have made this tale your own. Your writing had improved as well.

This latest chapter was pretty damn good.

The only question I had was why let the hired thug who attacked her after the informal hearing go?

And if they have good suspicion the lawyer was involved he should also have been at least detained.

I understand this story uses a lot of “Western” style justice/allegory but *I* would have wanted to have the sheriff charge the assailant with assault at a minimum.

But your story. You tell it your way.

Maybe you already have something in mind for these weasels?

Have fun.

Nice job.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Have Fun!

This chapter was fun to write and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You are right the thug and the lawyer would have been in deep do do if this had been real life. And it would have strengthened the state's case. Or would it? Could the lawyer... I wanted to wrap this adventure up.

Julie O is a great writer and Fresh Start did inspire the start and the setting.

Thanks again

Katelyn

Really nice story

I would be interested in the further adventures of Atlanta. There is lots that she can do out there in the Desert.

G

There is more Atalanta written

and more adventures to come. The next adventure is not in the desert but in the... As they say in ghost hunters the reveal coming soon. Sorry couldn't resist.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Thanks

Katelyn

nice one!

great story, you might want to add some kind of separator like -oOo- or *** or something for when you change perspectives. is this the end of book 1?
really good chapter, thanks

Book 1

No there is I think three chapters left in book 1. I writing book 2 now.

Thanks for the suggestion about perspective changes. I am tickled to get a picture in it. This is my first story so I'm still learning about the details.

I am really glad you like it and I appreciate your comment.

Katelyn

With a seal sponsor

You might want to read 'Whisper' and 'Whisper in the dark' by Sleethr. In might give you ideals on sending her off to Whateley with Nrotc sponsorship. Looking forward to more

Whisper

Whisper is one of my favorite stories and yes a scholarship would work for her. Her parents was both in the Army so that is an option too. A seal sponsor would work too. Of course another player may make an appearance later too.

Thanks

Katelyn

Well done

Tas's picture

This was a great chapter, one I enjoyed a lot. Atalanta is growing more and more capable as time passes, and a good amount of time is passing. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this :)

-Tas

PS. One thing that you might want to do is divide the viewpoints up, it was a little jarring changing without any notice.