The Ties That Bind Chapter 26

Printer-friendly version
Of Heroes And Villains:
The Ties That Bind

By Minikisa


An assassin.

A fallen hero.

An unlikely meeting.

The road to redemption is long and hard and filled with explosives.
The Ties That Bind



The Reynolds Industries Charity Auction For Victims of The Event was a grand success. Between the numerous heroes mingling amongst the crowd, willing to take a day to raise money for a memorial to their fallen comrades and to coincidentally enjoy a free gourmet buffet, and a billionaire bachelor coming out of hiding to attend it at the last minute, it had drawn many wealthy patrons, skewing somewhat female due to the many debutantes already picturing themselves as Mrs. Reynolds.

Mr. Reynolds proved to be as elusive as ever, slipping away from the crowd as often as he could, only to be inevitably found to begin the game of hide and seek anew.

He was currently on the balcony of the grand mansion, overlooking a magnificent estate, a phone to his ear.


***



“Don’t leave me alone with these people.”

“Sorry, bro.” David smiled apologetically, even though that was completely pointless since he was talking into his earpiece while flying high over the city. “That freaky blackout yesterday really did a number on security everywhere. You know it calms people down to see Captain Patriot flying around.”

“You really need to stop referring to yourself in the third person,” said Shade. It was so bizarre to hear her voice as it used to be, deep and growling, yet with an undercurrent of gruff affection that David had never heard in all the years they’d known each other.

“Well, it’s not me they’re relieved to see, it’s the costume,” he said, and rolled to dodge an energy blast the villain he was pursuing shot over his shoulder.

Shade sighed in exasperation, and that was a sound David knew well. He grinned.

“They invited Dawn,” she complained, getting back on topic with a slight whine in her voice.

That was not especially surprising. The footage of beloved and beautiful Dazzling Dawn falling out of the sky was one of the most memorable images of the Event, replayed over and over on the networks in the weeks that followed.

Still, David winced. “That sucks, dude.”

“She’s giving me these looks. I…I think she’s going to hit on me.”

He laughed. He couldn’t help it. “What, she doesn’t recognize you?”

“We never took our masks off with each other.”

“Kinky.”

“No,” Kara said, forlorn. “Not kinky at all. That was the problem.”


***



Dawn watched with interest as Ian Reynolds strode to the bar, her head slightly tilted and her gaze calculating.

Tex rolled his eyes at her antics. The man fit her type perfectly – tall, dark and brooding – but even after all these years, Tex still found her taste highly questionable. On the other hand, the billionaire’s opening speech had been quite amusing, so he was probably one of her better picks.

“I thank you all for attending,” Reynolds had drawled. “This is the point where I’m supposed to read the five-page speech that’s been given to me a few minutes ago, filled with inspirational nonsense I would unconvincingly pretend is coming from my heart and not from cue cards. But I hate speeches, so what it really boils down to is this: Give us money, and it’ll go to a good cause. Enjoy the free food.”

Tex had taken the latter to heart and was now raiding the buffet.

“Just go hit on him already.”

Dawn stuck her tongue out and grinned. “Nah. Don’t feel like getting into a cat fight with the competition.” She nodded to the would-be trophy wives lurking around the corner, eyeing him like he was prey. “Too bad. He’s kind of cute.”

Tex smiled as they seamlessly moved on to another topic, their playful banter as natural as breathing. It surprised him, sometimes, how easily they’d slipped back into their old camaraderie. They’d drifted apart after what happened to Stephen and had only reconnected after Cinder Snow’s reemergence, united in their desire to hunt that bitch down.

Not that they’d had much success.

After her grand entrance on national television, she hadn’t shown herself again, laying low for unknown reasons.

His great mood soured when his gaze fell on the madwoman’s minion, mingling with other heroes as if she had any right to be here.

Well.

At least Dionaea was wearing clothes for once.


***



“Give me all your scotch.”

The bartender nodded and turned away, but Kara grabbed him by the wrist.

“Just to be clear, I said all. What you heard was probably a lot, but I said all your scotch. I want a drink in my hand every moment of this evening, is that clear?”

The bartender nodded, wide-eyed, and she let go. Then she pinched the bridge of her nose, trying to rub away the tension headache. The evening had been grinding on for hours now, and she had to stay away from Diane because they weren’t supposed to know each other and there was no sign of Caroline and people were addressing her with sir and…

A hand gently pressed against her shoulder and she flinched, startled, whirling around. Kara had to be extremely careful about touching anyone; her illusion only concealed her form, it didn’t truly change it.

Caroline was standing behind her, wearing a red evening gown, blinking up at her. Kara exhaled, and relaxed a fraction.

“Oh. Psy. Thought you weren’t going to come.”

His pale eyes were shining, reflecting the dim lights of the chandelier. He was looking at her with a scrutiny that made Kara fidget. She dropped her gaze to avoid looking into those familiar eyes and it lingered on the expensive gown. Kara idly wondered just where he’d gotten it, or why he’d chosen to wear it when Psy favored dressing as unflatteringly as possible. The dress was elegant, hugging the curves of Caroline’s body, and had a slit running up the side that exposed one leg.

Bewildered, Kara realized Psy was wearing black high heels.

“Ian.”

Ian’s head snapped up and she blinked rapidly when she realized this wasn’t Psy. Her lips parted and her heart beat painfully against her ribcage.

“Hi,” Caroline said in a soft voice.

Ian’s knuckles turned white as she gripped the counter.

And even though the ballroom was filled with the sound of people and chatter and laughter, it all faded into the background until there was nothing but uncomfortable silence.

It was at that moment that every hero in attendance got an alert on their communicators.


***



Off the coast of Paragon City, there stood The Asylum. It was located upon a small island raised from the depths of the sea by a hero named Geode. The ocean’s waves broke against the steep cliffs that towered a hundred feet high.

It was the most secure prison in the world. It had to be, since it exclusively housed villains of Threat Level Seven or higher, each with a trail of devastating destruction in their wake. Their cells were padded with power suppressors, the guards were highly trained specialists wearing sophisticated power armor and the walls were said to be indestructible.

Vicious roared as he breached them.


***



The Reynolds Industries Charity Event had minimal security.

After all, who in their right minds would dare attack a gathering filled with heroes?

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So they have managed to swap back

But we have that plague spread by one villain and this massive jail break of the very worst supers criminals imminent.

Maybe time for some so called villains to prove they can be good when the chips are down.

So happy Caroline is no longer hiding her femininity. Hum, if they are back in their birth bodies does that mean they DID IT again in those bodies?

And who is the white haired villainess - a couple chapters back -- behind all or many of the nasty plots?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

The white-haired woman

...has already appeared by name ;) I leave it to my clever readers to deduce who she is. And let's just say, her part in this is far from over!

And Stephen and Caroline definitely ~did it~ once they swapped back. Multiple times. Let's just say they were in that hotel room until noon :P

Prison break!

Plus Caroline meets Ian !

Can't wait for the next episode!

DogSig.png

Well... this was an evil

Well... this was an evil cliffhanger.

I figure this is somekind of divide and conquer/murder plot?

Thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Now do we get to see brother and sister.....

D. Eden's picture

Oops! I mean sister and sister fight side by side? Throw in Psykick and Diane, and what a reclaimed group of heroes this will be!

I love this, and I really can't wait to see how this ends up!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Pull

Tas's picture

Attack the jail, pulling any support Shade might have had with the heroes in attendance, then kill her. A good plan.

-Tas