Atalanta's Story- Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Atalanta's Story- Chapter 5 Again this is edited by William Durr and any errors left are mine.

This chapter is shorter than any of the others. A transition period from male to female. From childhood to the journey into adulthood. It takes place the same night as the barbecue does.

Chapter Five

“Wow,” Lindsey chortled, “you kicked some serious butt. Did your dad teach you that?”

“No, he didn’t,” mom replied, “but I’d like to know the answer to that myself.”

“Honestly it was like his foot had a big bulls eye on it and my knee seemed to move on its own.”

“Honey are you wanting to go home,” my mom asked.

“I don’t think so. I’m not going to let that creep ruin tonight,” I retorted slipping my arm through Jack’s.

“Okay, but you stay close by and you and Lindsey stay together and don’t wander off without telling me.”

“I won’t.”

“Here you’ll need this; it’s starting to get chilly,” my mom said handing me a wrap for my shoulders. The thin materials offered little protection against the evening breeze that had just sprung up.

She whispered in my ear as she placed the mantle around my upper body, “you be careful.”

Aloud she added, “I want you girls back in an hour. Okay?”

“Sure mom,” I replied automatically, “We’re just going to see Ready.”

“I’m sure you will,” she drawled smiling smugly at me.

Before I could reply Lindsey jabbed me in my ribs causing me a fit of giggles. “Girls behave yourselves,” mom admonished us.

I shot a Lindsey a brief withering look.

“You boys have a watch,” mom asked the boys, her gaze narrowing as she focused on our escorts who up to now had been forgotten.

They fidgeted, “Yes ma’am, they chorused each holding up an arm with a watch securely fastened to it.

Mom leaned in and whispered, “I love you,” as she pecked me on the cheek.

“I love you, too mom.”

Jack and I trailed behind Lindsey and her date as we wound our way to the stables. George had an arm draped around Lindsey pulling her into his frame. I shivered slightly as Jack’s hand found mine and our fingers interlocked.
I instantly stiffened as I processed this new information. Alan had over the years on many occasions made contact with other boys. This sensation though carried a different message with it.

I must have transmitted my nervousness, “Is there something wrong, Atalanta?”

“I was just thinking of that creep.”

“You don’t have to worry about him as long as I’m here. I’ll protect you,” he boasted intertwining his arm with mine.
I was equal parts repulsed, attracted, and amused by his declaration.

“Thank you,” I smiled as he straightened to his full height and squared his shoulders. I inwardly giggled at the display of male ego as I decided to relax.

George opened the door that led inside to the stables and flipped a switch that lit a row of lights down the center of the structure. The horses snorted and stomped as the lighting startled them. A few pranced rising and pawing the air in protest.

Quickly I moved around my companions into the corridor between the stalls and going to each animal whispered comforting words. I walked up to George after they had quieted and hands on my hips declared, “George you need to let them know you’re here before you turn the lights on. Horses are easily spooked.”

He seemed to be equally surprised by the horses and my scene, “I didn’t think,” he admitted.

“No problem, just remember it okay.”

He nodded. Lindsey gave me an odd look as she led him away at the far end of path by his arm.

“How did you know what do to with the horses to calm them down.”

I stopped in mid reply; how did I know? I realized like earlier that night I didn’t know. I just acted.

“It just seemed like the thing to do,” I returned walking over to a still excited Ready and rubbing her head, “I have spoiled you haven’t I girl. You just want a lump of sugar. You big faker,” I affectionately spoke softly to Ready tossing her head and neighing seemed to agree.

“I’ll be right back. I walked towards the tack room with Jack following behind me. I didn’t bother with the light switch and brushed into Jack as I turned to leave almost tripping. His arms wrapped around me catching me our faces inches apart.
Time seemed to stop as I looked into his eyes. I instinctively moistened and parted my lips as his face drew closer. I closed my eyes as his mouth found mine and we softly kissed; sending shivers and goose bumps down my spine and out my arm. He soaked all the air from my lungs. I forgot how to breathe. Growing lightheaded I parted my lips to draw air in and instead found his tongue snaking in. Instinctively I parried with a counter thrust.

He pressed his mouth on mine harder and more demanding sending shock waves down my body and threatening to unhinge my knees. I gripped his shoulders and my body molded to his. In that moment I forgot about the barn, Lindsey and George, Ready, the dance; everything but me and he faded into the background. He pressed against my thigh.

“Knock-knock,” Lindsey called out softly from the door frame interrupting our lovemaking.

My cheeks flamed as I stepped out of his embrace, “thanks I might have fallen if you hadn’t caught me.”

“Any time,” he intoned smiling.

Ass hole!

I gave Lindsey a brief glance and silently breathed thanks. She nodded as I brushed past carrying the lump of sugar and feeling embarrassed. Swiftly I strode over to Ready and fed her the lump of sugar while burying my head in her mane and whispering in her ear. Tossing her head she seemed to agree with me.

Or else she wanted more sugar.

After a few minutes of awkward silence Lindsey walked over to me and breathed into my ear, “It’s alright Atalanta, we all make mistakes.”

I leaned into her, “I felt him.”

“How was it,” she quipped.

“Oh god you clod,” and we broke out in a giggling fit with the boys looking on bewildered. But it broke the ice and the four of us began talking among ourselves.

On the walk back I and Lindsey walked together in front whispering between us. As we did I imagined the guys admiring the women’s movement. From that assumption sprung the feeling that my hips were gyrating uncontrollably. Sneaking a peek at Lindsey; her gait seemed normal so I moved closer to her matching her movement.

“What are you doing?”

I quickly explained.

“No you’re all right,” she declared, “but let’s give them something to think on tonight anyway.” Rolling my eyes, I stuck my tongue out at her and nodded.

We each wrapped an arm around the other and nodding began a pretentious catwalk strut but after just a few steps we burst into laughter.

“What are you girls up to?”

“Oh, nothing,” we replied mysteriously.

“Sure,” they countered hurrying to catch up with us. We walked the rest of the way back, shoulder-to-shoulder and chatting amicably.

We stopped at the cookout structure where I hugged Lindsey and whispered, “Thanks,” in her ear.

I turned to Jack, “thank you Jack for escorting me tonight. I had a lovely evening,” I said leaning in and giving him a swift peck on the cheek.

“It was my pleasure,” he declared, “and I’ll be glad to walk you home,” he added hopefully.

“Thank you, but I got to find momma.” He had a sad expression as he turned and left.

I felt a little guilty but I did need to find mom. She would have a fit if I didn’t. After the scene in the barn I wasn’t sure I need to be alone with Jack anyway.

“Did you have fun tonight, dear?” Mom asked me as we were leaving to go home.
I nodded, "me and Lindsey---".

"---I thought your date was with Jack," she teased.

Later while walking home with my mom she asked, “He kissed you, didn’t he?”

I nodded and whispered, “Yes.”

“How did it make you feel?”

The memory was still fresh on my mind and I still tasted his lips and mine still tingled.

After the ruckus on the dance floor the four of us had walked up to the barn and under the stars and a full moon that was huge and hung low in the night sky with the stars forming a twinkling backdrop. There was enough of a chill, away from the fire, that Jack’s arms around me felt warm and comfortable.

The kiss wasn’t unexpected.

The results were.

Almost immediately blood rushed to my lips and from there spread out and down sending tongues of warmth that settled in my lower body. My mouth also felt like it was connected to my ears and my legs. I thought my knees would buckle and the roaring in my head seemed wash away any rationale sense I had. I could still feel the glow.

“Tingly all over and afterwards sort of’ empty, you know.”

“Sweetie I know exactly. Listen,” she stopped us and facing me, “I understand and this is exactly why I wanted you to experience this part of girlhood so that it could be a learning moment.”

We began walking as she explained, “Even for girls from birth when puberty sets in the flood of hormones causes many young girls to make unwise decisions. That empty feeling was your body acknowledging sex and now you know why I brought up all that I did. I want you to have a good start in life and some boy getting you pregnant is not what I want for you at your age.”

“Gross,” I cried as unbidden images raced through my mind. “It’s not what I want either.”

“Good now you understand the consequences and what we as females have to be conscious of. And I suggest you keep that in mind.”

“Okay mom, you’ve made your point,” I returned and suddenly thinking of my earlier talk with Manny added, “Another thing mom is what happened earlier with that creep and Manny’s offer of training that I’d like to take.”

“Atalanta I’m not comfortable with that idea yet.”

“Mom I’m not comfortable with the necessity or for that matter our talk tonight or several of our talks at that. But something that Manny said about that guy tonight sealed it for me.”

“What did he say?”

“That he was just some guy as in he could be any guy that I meet. If it is prudent to be careful with sex it seems to me to be equally cautious about self defense.”

“Believe me I understand about defending one’s self,” Liz replied unlocking their front door, “but I still am not sure if he is just some guy, either,” she argued.

“Mom,” I replied after we were inside and seated at the kitchen table, “I think we both know that he’s not just some guy. There is one more thing though that maybe you haven’t thought about.”

“Oh?” She asked arching her eyebrows, “and what would that be ?”

“Yes. From what everyone said they were surprised that I was able to do what I did. No one was more surprised than I was. The odd thing though was everything seemed to slow down except for me.”

I rose from the table and retrieved a container of juice from the refrigerator and poured us each a glass.

“Mom, have you thought why or for what reason I was changed or who did it?”

“I gave up trying to.”

“I think I gained more than what’s obvious. I’m faster, quicker and some stronger now. Don’t you think that training will help me from hurting someone accidentally?”

“Stronger?”

“Yeah it seems to kick in when I’m running or at least that’s when I started to notice it. And the dreams are what gave me the inclination to run.”

“Correlation doesn’t equal causation,” mom warned.

“I guess, but it feels related in here,” I replied indicating my heart area.

“Paying attention to your body’s signals is a good habit to develop.”

I nodded in agreement.

“I think it is time we were both in bed and we can’t do anything tonight,” mom replied shooing me off to bed.

I hope you enjoy reading Atalanta's Story. I'll answer any questions that don't give away too much. In fact if any of you are well-versed in mythology I'd like to pick your brain. Thanks again for reading.

up
289 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

at some point

she needs to go through power testing. are you going to have her try normal school or send her to Whateley? the selfdefense training though is a must.
good chapter, thanks

Well we know something

We know something she and her mom doesn't know and that is she is a mutant. Despite being an Army brat Atalanta and her mom's knowledge of mutants is mostly confined to MSM 10 second sound bytes and wild conspiracy theories.

Only Atalanta and mom knows she changed eye color and that her mom "doctored" her birth certificate to reflect that she was born female. Judy and Lindsey both know she was a boy but neither noted the eye color change. And mom has decided to home school her the first year. While Manny does train her, he mistakes her skills as something he is familiar with adding another layer of cover and confusion to Atalanta's Story.

She does get to Whateley after several miss-adventures.

Thanks for reading.

Katelyn

Nice episode

I would like it if we just leave the mutant police, and wheatley out of this. Maybe some Indian shaman could teach her. So far we know her night vision is improved, she is stronger, and quicker. I forget what else.

This is a nice story.

Gwen

This is fanfiction

So I'm not too terribly constrained. I intend to have fun with the MCO and H1 as you will see at the end of book 1. Whateley is a backdrop for her to play in. I have started a story that happens at a later date where she gets into mischief at a certain southern waterpark that we all know and love.

Thanks

-Katelyn

Nice episode

I would like it if we just leave the mutant police, and wheatley out of this. Maybe some Indian shaman could teach her. So far we know her night vision is improved, she is stronger, and quicker. I forget what else.

This is a nice story.

Gwen

I'm enjoying your story

And I look forward to reading the future chapters as you post them. I like that your paying a bit of homage to Julie-O's stories too with the set up for this story. It's a fun mash up of the Julieverse and Whateley universes.
Keep up the good writing.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

I like Julie O's writing

Some stories are too "dark" for my tastes but all are well written. I really enjoyed her "Fresh Start," and "Coed" series. I thought the main character, Jirra? suffered from being too pliable and co-dependent. Atalanta has the independent spirit and athletic confidence that I wanted.

I like both universes and I am dabbling with a Atalanta story set in a southern city that has this strange water park. That is way in the future though.

So yes I hope I am paying homage to the many enjoyable hours I have spent in these alternate realities.

Thanks for reading

-Katelyn

Avatar?

Tas's picture

Given the powers Atalanta has displayed thus far and the bit about mythology at the end, I'm going to guess she's an avatar of some sort. I guess we'll see if I'm right :)

-Tas