Bikini Beach: Magic Sucks Part 2 of 2

Printer-friendly version


Bikini Beach: Magic Sucks

Story by Ib12us/Elrod

Concept developed by Ib12us
Edited by Elrod

Part 2 of 2

Now living with her foster mother, Lisa, Melody is set to progress from 6th grade to 7th since becoming a girl. Her older friends Vicky and Holly are still concerned about her adjustment and want to learn more about her past. The problem is Mel doesn't wish to discuss it.

Perhaps a chance getaway on a camping trip will help ease Mel's need to make a decision. Choose not to tell or risk the possibility of losing her new found friends once they hear her story.

It is best to have read "Bikini Beach: The Runaway" to fully understand some of the background.

This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.


It was if the world suddenly exploded around Melody to where a myriad of color flashed within closed eyes: Blue, yellow, red, and white, radiated in what was to become a multicolored facet. Streaking dots haphazardly flew within the confines of her closed eyelids.

Ears feverishly tried to make sense of a series of incoming warbled sounds. Their incoherent nonsense nothing more than mumbled mash forced inside her addle-brained mind as their low rumblings filtered through each of her dainty ears trying to tell her their meaning. Soon those incoming vowels became overbearing, cascading their way within, she forced hands up to reach out to cover them as she took to shut them out.

Tepidly she unsealed her eyelids as she tried to see her surroundings only to be blinded by the sudden appearance of unforgiving light. Sharp rays stabbed like unforgiving knives to sear their way past thick eyelashes wanting nothing more to give meaning to the new world order changed from where she had once been.

Mel worked to gather her wits as she tried to assimilate what had to have happened. She wondered if when she were old enough to drink, would this be part of the aftereffects she would come to expect of how one felt if they were to over indulge in a night spent partying beyond their normal capacity. To wake up the next day having no recollection or memory of where or how they came to be as one could find oneself placed in a rather awkward predicament, perhaps lying in some strangers bed, or perhaps the outskirts of some park, or lying down on the street the next morning.

For now, none of that really mattered to Mel as she strove to drive past the unwanted pain and figure out what had happened, and quickly given how the noise that was bombarding her ears wasn't quieting down even if they did start to make some sort of sense. Daring to open her eyes once more, the world around her took to be nothing more than swirling pool of cascading colors merging within themselves. She took to quickly closing them tight once more.

Flopping her head backwards Mel took to evaluating what had to have taken place. First there had been her insistent, demanding request on Anya; to be followed by Anya's own incantation. Next came the dizzying effect of where new memories took to flooding her young mind as they each tried to imprint themselves over her old ones. Those invasive memories were far stronger, more vivid and in some cases appalling than what she had experienced the first time. And as before, they were forcibly pushed away – expunged from her very being leaving her wanting by a form of magic Mel didn't understand. In its wake the after effect giving her the now headache as once before, only much worse.

Obviously, she was left lying in a bed, that much she was sure, as Mel took to making sense of what had happened afterwards. Only she'd find out quicker than she'd care for when feminine hands took to roughly shaking her body, pulling her away from her contemplation.

"Get up Melody," she heard, as her head continued to pound. Groaning outwards, there came once more a rough shove to her shoulders from someone sounding not much older than her. 'Where am I?' she asked herself. This wasn't supposed to have happened, what she had wanted.

"About time," the voice said as Mel began to stir. "Get your lazy butt out of bed and get dressed. They'll be here any minute to do room inspections, and you're still lying around. We'll surely get in trouble, and it'll be your fault."

Slowly Mel opened her eyes to find several girls staring at her. Again Mel asked, only out loud. "Where am I?"

"Where do you think you are stupid? You're back home at the orphanage – boohooing your eyes out all night because your foster family brought you back," a girl with black hair said, pointing at Mel. "If it was me I would have put up with their shit. At least I wouldn't be in this damn place. It's like a prison here." The girl went back to making her bed. Mel noted the clothes the others wore - grey blouses with black skirts, white ankle socks and black leather flats. A uniform of some sorts.

Without warning, the older girl returned and pulled her unceremoniously from the bed. "I said get your ass out of bed and get dressed. Now! Maybe if they see you making your bed, they won't say anything."

Looking at the girl, Mel guessed that she had to be at least sixteen, with light brown hair just past her shoulders, held back behind her ears with a black barrette. From the girl's attitude, she deemed herself the queen bee - if not bitch - of the room. None of the other two girls interfered as the older took to bossing Mel around, with a pissed look on her face. Inwards Mel started to get angry, only to squelch it once she remembered what had caused her to be wherever she was in the first place.

Looking around the room, which wasn't very large, Mel found that there were four of them, all crammed into a room with two sets of bunk beds, a desk, and two tall dressers. From their appearance all the furniture looked old and worn.

Unsure of where to look for her clothes, Mel saw one of the girls gawk at her like she was stupid, to turn away when caught, as she went over to one of the dressers.

The girl who had pushed her around looked at Mel, contempt once more on her face. "What's the matter with you? We don't have much time for your games right now. Just get your uniform on!", having tossed Mel a set of clothes from the only closet in the room. "Hurry! You can change your underwear after they leave."

With much reluctance, Mel grudgingly put on the same uniform as the others. Working as best she could, Mel tried to ignore the feeling of wearing nothing underneath. Finished she turned her attention to making her bed with its worn linens and blanket. The room itself didn't fare much better, with its drab walls and worn floor. The mattress itself had seen better days, with even the pillow worn and stained. She didn't want to think of from where.

Mel had just smoothed out the blanket, while the other girls took to tiding up around the room, only to pause with a bit of dread when they heard the knock. Quickly Mel followed the lead of the other girls and stopped what she was doing, and like the others, took her place to the side of the her bed. From what she'd hastily gathered, this wasn't the first time she'd spent time at this orphanage.

From the stern, unforgiving looks of a much older woman who entered, Mel came to understand what apparently was to be a part of her new routine in life – stern discipline, almost military in its demands, from the staff and bullying from the older girls, in a drab, run-down orphanage. Not something she had wanted when she forced Anya to destroy her past. For other than death, what other life could she have expected? Shuddering to herself a realization came to her. She had no real past and would be forever seen as an outcast, an orphan; no friends, or family to remember her. To be alone, forever, and a shiver caused her shoulders to shake. She'd accept, unenthusiastically, what Anya had somehow managed to thwart - for now.

The woman looked at her, her expression cold and heartless. Mel didn't care; she'd been through worse, much worse, and she took small comfort in believing this was still better for those she'd loved. They had to be safe from her. She'd never hurt her brother or mother again, but given the chance she still knew, deep in her heart, that she'd kill the one that made it all happen.

Deep down her anger simmered knowing that person was safe from her as well, Mel was sure, living with some family far away from her, probably sucking on a bottle or being held and cuddled by new parents; somewhere safe. She'd never forgive him, she was sure, for what he had done to her and her family.

*************

"Melody Mudd!"

Mel turned her attention to the person calling her name as she listened to the teacher in the classroom. She saw the kids’ stares as the woman approached her. Class was boring to her. A joke. What they taught for school was what she'd learned in third grade at best. "Yes Ma'am?" Without a word the woman motioned Mel to follow her. As she passed by the other kids, their stares had become intense. She could feel the envy if not hatred from several of them. Several others had been living at the orphanage far longer than her, wondering what made her so special, always hoping, praying that one day they would be called.

Following the woman down the hall Mel smoothed her skirt, before taking her seat and waiting in the reception area. In less than a week since her arrival, she'd been called to the office three times. She glanced at the secretary, who gave only a courtesy nod, a friendly smile on her face. "Melody, they're a nice couple. Put on the charm. Let them see you smile," the receptionist suggested.

"Yes ma'am." She waited patiently, and stepped inside when the door opened for her admittance. Forty-five minutes later, the young girl stepped out of the office to walk once more back to class. Her face reflected the decision of what the family decided. Rejection.

Seated behind her office desk, Mrs. Delany, the headmistress, puzzled over the sudden turn of events. The couple seemed adamant, determined about wanting to foster the girl, even though Melody proved quite shy towards them. Both times their visits went well, only mid-way through the third, there seemed a change of heart. To change their minds and mentioned another girl whom they considered more outgoing. With a shake of her head, Mrs. Delany had her secretary send for one of Melody's roommates. A younger girl by the name of Virginia.

*************

It was late in the afternoon several days later when Mel found herself back in the reception area, staring at the door. This hadn't been a normal social call from another potential foster family. Seeing the time, it was well past visitation hours to have her summoned to the front office. Sitting there Mel took notice of the way the secretary sat at her desk. She seemed quite impassive to her surroundings, not her usual cheerful self, seated stiffly behind her desk staring at her computer monitor.

Mel stood slowly when the door opened, smoothed her worn skirt, and shuffled inside. Immediately upon entering, Mel halted, her face showing her surprise when she recognized the two individuals waiting, both expressionless. Mel looked at Mrs. Delany, who stood by the door, and just like the secretary, she had the same impassive look. "I'll leave the three of you alone," she said, closing the door behind her as she left.

Mel looked at the dark-haired woman before her. Pretty beyond most girls, the woman's face displayed a look of concern well out of place, considering what Mel had forced the woman to do. "How are you doing Mel?" Anya asked. She seemed to know that there would be no hugs of greeting.

"I'm fine," Mel said indifferently, composing herself quickly.

"Are they treating you well?"

"I can't complain. I've been in worse shit than this." Mel looked over to where Officer Donovan sat. His face was an expressionless mask, evaluating her. "Are they doing well?"

Both of the visitors knew what Mel was asking. "They're fine, Mel," Anya answered. "The accident never happened, although there were severe repercussions when you forced me to remove you from their lives - and not just to theirs, either. You could have called, let us know where you were, and that you were alright."

Why should she care? Mel thought. "I figured your 'insight' and magic would let you know," Mel said sarcastically.

"Mel it doesn't work that way," Anya gently scolded her. "I had nothing to go from. We searched all over. If Jozef's intuition hadn't kicked in, we wouldn't have found you."

"I wish you hadn't, but now you know." Mel said in an aloof manner as she turned to leave.

"Mel, don't act this way. There are people who care about you."

Mel stopped cold when a chill went through her. "Others remember what happened? How? Why?"

"Mel, do you have any idea what Grandmother and I experienced after you disappeared? Do you know what happened to those close to you – to those very lives you interacted with? I … we never experienced anything like it before. She was worried not just about you, but also for Vicky, Holly and a few other friends, too. Mel, Grandmother doesn't scare easily, but you scared her."

Eyes downcast, her foot shuffling absently, once more Mel thought of the hurt she had done, not to just her family, but now to others, to her friends, and who knew who else. "Look," Mel said, as she opened the door to leave, "it's best they forget about me. This is my life now. I don't want to ever see them. I don't want to hurt them. Nathan won, Miss Anya. He got what he wanted – I'm a monster just like him."

"She's bitter," Jozef said after the girl left. "She's not ready to listen to reason."

"No. No she's not. She's being stubborn." Anya conceded as they prepared to leave. Muttering an incantation, her fingers moved and both Mrs. Delany and the secretary became more alive and energetic, and the two ignored Anya and Jozef when they left the building.

*************

Hearing the knock on the door, Mel wondered who it could be. Her roommates were off doing whatever it was they did in their meager amount of free time, while she sat leaning against the wall of her bunk reading one of the few new books donated to the orphanage. "Melody! You have visitors," came the voice on the other side of the door.

Mel had dressed in jeans she'd found, with a few torn spots, along with a grey tank shirt which displayed the outline of her bra. Self-consciously, she straightened what she could along with her hair before she opened the door. Puzzled, she wasn't expecting anyone; other than Jozef and Anya, nobody else knew where she was - or so she thought.

When she recognized who was waiting in the doorway, Mel's jaw dropped and her eyes went wide. "Hi," came the chirpy voice from one of the three women standing there. Before she could react, arms reached around her, taking hold to pull her close in a brief hug, only to shove her back at arm's length. "Let's have a look at you," Vicky said, relieved once she knew the young girl was safe.

Stepping back, Mel allowed the others to enter. Holly looked over the room, critical of the surroundings. "Is everything here so drab and dreary with worn hand me downs?" she asked in disbelief.

"The state doesn't provide this orphanage with sufficient funds, Holly," the eldest of the three explained. Unlike the other two who were in their early twenties, the woman with light brown sassy hair style was in her early thirties. "It's all political," Lisa explained, "on how the state distributes the money. Because of their fundamental beliefs here, the orphanage relies heavily on donations for most of their needs – mostly from churches."

"So how's my diver doing?" Lisa inquired giving Mel a tight hug not wanting to let go. Her eyes showed her concern, even though she smiled.

Mel's eyes misted, she didn't want to admit she missed her friends. "What are you doing here?" Mel asked, clearly torn. She was excited at seeing her friends, but visibly upset that they had even came. Inside she was terribly afraid she might hurt them like she had her family. Released from their embraces, Mel asked, almost angrily, "Let me guess. Miss Anya told you."

"Mel, she knows how much we care for you. It would hurt her to hide it from us," Vicky said.

"How did you get here? I mean other than the staff, nobody's allowed in the dorm rooms," Mel said as she plopped on her bunk, followed quickly by Vicky sitting beside her, placing a comforting arm around her.

"I have a little pull Mel," Lisa said, pulling up two of the chairs for herself and for Holly. "I'm registered as a temporary drop off mother with the state, and I'm allowed a little leeway."

All three questioned how she was doing, feeling and eating. Each one was concerned for her welfare, and despite her desire to never let others get close to her, Mel couldn't help in talking to her friends as she answered as best she could. Time seemed to pass quickly when there came another sudden knock, followed by one of the staff entering the room. "Lisa, I'm afraid it's time for you and your friends to leave."

The three stood awkwardly ready to say their good-byes, but Mel quickly interrupted. "Please don't come anymore," she pleaded with them. She could see the hurt in their eyes from what she was asking. Standing in the doorway, "I'll be fine, really. It's just that …" and Mel closed the door on them as they stood there in disbelief, so they didn't hear her finish the sentence. "I don't want to risk hurting any of you."

Days passed when Mel received a message to report to the front office, in what appeared to be yet another interview, or so Mel thought. Again Mel could feel the hatred from the other kids as she left the classroom.

Mel readied herself for the letdown when she stepped into the office, only to pause when she recognized the woman waiting for her. "Come in Melody," Mrs. Delany said encouragingly, motioning to a chair. "There's no need to be shy. You know Miss Covington."

Mel didn't move and just nodded. "She was asking to see if you might like to spend some time with her, away from the orphanage for a few hours. Give you a chance to be away from here."

Mel saw the hopeful look, perhaps a chance to chat away from the others. "I… I don't think so," Mel said and turned to leave, muttering as she left, "Maybe some other time."

For several consecutive days, Mel received the summons, and every time, she rejected Lisa's request. Finally, though, with her unwillingness wavering, Mel reluctantly accepted. She needed to leave, even if only for a few hours, she told herself, to get away from her roommates and other orphans who were getting on her nerves about the unwanted attention from Lisa's visits.

Having played a few games at the Fun Zone, Mel joined Lisa in a game of putt-putt. Concentrating, she hit the ball, only to miss the cup on the last hole. "Too bad, Melody," Lisa said lightheartedly, "that gives me the lead," and with that, knocked her ball into the cup. Mel quietly knocked in her ball, not really interested any longer.

"Are you okay Melody?"

"Can't you just call me Mel?"

"Well, it is your name."

"Not by choice," Mel said bitterly.

Having turned in their putters, Lisa grabbed a table for the two. "Melody," Lisa said, ignoring the girls dower expression, "I remember why you chose to stay. So does Vicky and Holly. We all knew it wasn't going to be easy, but…"

"No it's wasn't easy," Mel grumbled, her voice hot with angry. "It downright sucked. At least they're alive, no thanks to me." Her voice carried the weight of self-blame and bitterness.

Lisa saw the disgruntled look, the loathing of what had transpired. Looking around the room of screaming kids and games, Lisa's attention was drawn to the displays. "Stay here," she said, and went over to the counter. "That one," after searching the shelves, pointing to the stuffed animal on the wall when she had the cashier's attention.

Paying for her purchase, Lisa went back to the sulking girl. "I know it's not much, but here's the reason why," she said, handing the stuffed bear to Mel. Mel looked the bear over with its camouflaged hat and vest, with the rank of major embroidered on the cap. On one side of the vest were the words 'US Army', with a blank space for a name to be written in.

Mel looked confused at the bear as Lisa retrieved a pen from her purse and wrote "DAD" in the nameplate.

"You always talked about him. How much he meant to you. He's the reason you did it, Melody. Never forget that. No matter what the magic did, he's still a part of your life."

Overwhelmed, Mel took hold of the bear, not wanting to let go. He was the reason for the sacrifice, she reminded herself, to protect her family, just like her dad would have wanted. Lisa switched sides and scooted next to the girl, holding onto her, not saying a word as Mel went misty eyed, to go into a faraway place.

*************

Intuitively Mel headed to the office early, ready if not eager, to be away from her roommates, for another one of Lisa's visits. She stopped just outside the outer office when she heard the discussion going on. Quietly, she tiptoed as close to the office listening, watching, as both the director and her secretary talked. Mel could see an application held in the secretary's hand as Mrs. Delany scoffed at the very notion of who had applied. "No, definitely out of the question," she said taking hold of the paper, ready to tear up the sheet in her hand.

Moving quickly Mel walked up to the two of them. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Delany" she said as politely as possible.

Both woman stopped mid-sentence at the unexpected intrusion. "Melody? We didn't call for you."

"No ma'am. I just had a feeling that I'd be called and came early. I hope it's okay."

Annoyed by the intrusion, "Well, if you want, you can wait in the office for her. She should be here shortly. I need to speak with her also."

"That's fine," Mel said, and the trio walked with into Mrs. Delaney's inner office. "I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to talk with you also."

*************

Lisa paced the floor, trying to understand what was happening with Mel. At first Mel had been thrilled with the idea when the Headmistress agreed to allow her to visit with her.

Mel even seemed enthusiastic with the idea when asked if she wanted to stay with Lisa for the weekend. Things had gone so well, even when Mel became quiet and reserved around the apartment. Having excused herself, Lisa left Mel alone to herself for a few hours. She had returned with a few items from shopping. Clothes to replace the old and worn ones Mel had been given at the orphanage. She had thought several would look good on the young girl. It was then Mel turned defensive, combative to whatever she tried or asked of her. It was a side Lisa had never seen from the normally obedient girl. In a battle of wills, when the two started to discuss what type of clothes she'd be expected to wear, Mel vented her anger. "What's so hard about wearing a skirt? I wear them all the time."

"I told you, I don't like them. I never like wearing them in the orphanage. I wasn't given much of a choice and had to conform. I wore shorts underneath, hidden from view. It's like I'm not wearing anything."

"You wear less when you went to the water park swimming, Melody. You'll get used to it. All girls do."

"At the water park, there are no boys to stare at you –at least, they don't think they're boys. At the orphanage, school, and other places, boys kept trying to see my panties," Mel reiterated. "You grew up a girl, I didn't. You don't know what it's like for me. I'm not a girl."

"That's funny, you look like a girl to me," Lisa said lightly, trying to inject some humor into Mel's dour mood.

Mel tapped her head in both frustration and anger. "In my head, I'm a boy, remember! I don't have girl thoughts. I grew up a boy. Boys don't wear skirts or dresses. I don't even like wearing blouses."

"It's just a skort, Melody - it has built in shorts on the inside, see. I grew up wearing them."

Mel retorted, "Why are you making me, wanting me, to wear something I don't want to wear? Why are you trying to change me into someone I'm not? What's next, dresses?"

"Nobody's trying to force you, so quit acting like a brat," Lisa said, trying to gently reprimand Mel.

"I don't know why I agreed to this," Mel muttered, and tossed the skort to the ground, stomping off into another room, slamming the door behind her.

"What is wrong with you? Did you think I asked to take you in because I felt sorry for you?" Lisa said, following her, not letting the argument go as she stood outside the closed door.

"NO! Admit it. You took me in so you could have that diver I always heard about!"

Angry at the accusation, Lisa snapped, "I took you in because I saw a kid who was someone I wanted."

"Then why don't you have one?" Mel shot back. "Then you can raise her the way you want."

"Is this what you think I want?" The argument escalated drastically when Lisa let fly, "You think because I'm just a drop off for abandoned kids I'm not woman enough to raise my own? Is that what you believe?"

Opening the door, "You could have fooled the shit outa me. Why don't you have one? Is it because no man wants to be with you? Huh. Not woman enough for them?"

"Damn you." Lisa stormed into the bedroom, "Is that what you believe? That I'm not capable enough, unworthy to bear or raise a child of my own." Her voice was both angry and very hurt. "I can't have kids!" Lisa replied, her voice betraying the anguish she felt.

Mel froze, shocked and unprepared for what she heard.

"I left home and came back here to start a new life, to teach kids to have self-confidence after my so called boyfriend made me feel so small and useless. He belittled me in front of my friends, treated me like crap for being less of a woman."

Mel just stood there, watching as Lisa pulled her suitcase from the closet and tossed it on the bed, open. Grabbing Mel's clothes, Lisa flung them into the suitcase. "Congratulations, Melody. You're the first kid I've ever decided to give up on. You may be the best diver I've ever seen, but I'll be damned if you think I'm going to put up with the cursing and attitude you just handed me."

Mel didn't say a word. What could she say? The damage was done.

"So what if _I_ want to pursue championships and such? It's better than sitting around moping and feeling sorry for myself, unlike others. I grew tired of watching kids struggle and fail because no one cared. I became a coach to give them a chance at being a winner. Even when we lost, they felt better about themselves, because I pushed them farther than anyone else had, because I _believed_ in them! They put their all in what they did and didn't quit."

Lisa grabbed hold of Mel's suitcase, having slammed it shut, and left the room. "Let's go. You don't want to be here? Fine. You can go back. You got what you wanted." Quietly, Mel followed Lisa through the apartment and out to the car. With one last look behind her, Mel watched as Lisa closed the door – unwittingly she'd hurt Lisa very badly just like she feared.

*********

Having dropped Mel off back at the orphanage, Lisa needed to talk to someone who would understand.

"What was I supposed to do, Keith?" Lisa asked, still visibly upset.

Keith Sinclair listened intently while Lisa conveyed what had happened. "You should have stopped yourself, left the room, and called me," Keith replied, seated in his recliner. "Personally, I thing you gave up too quickly. It's only been, what, a few days?"

Lisa just nodded, barely touching the drink Keith provided her.

Keith leaned forward. "Lisa, you've had kids come and go, and never really bonded with any of them. But Melody was the first one I've known you to personally go after. You wouldn't stop till you brought her home with you. You visited her against her wishes, and nearly demanded that the orphanage let you take her knowing how they feel about single parents. Why is it they finally agreed?"

"They thought I could handle her, I suppose," Lisa replied after much thought. "Agreeing finally after all these years of me being just a drop off."

"Or?" Keith prompted.

Hesitantly Lisa answered, "She couldn't? Could she? I mean wouldn't. Would she? I didn't see her pendant." She didn't want to believe the real answer.

"Kids hide things, Lisa. You know that. She's no different. Anya and Jozef found her through magic. From what I know, Jozef can only detect magic, and use his intuition. It's how he found her once before. Once located Anya told you and the others she was safe. Anya won't use magic in a case as personal as this is. Nor will I claim to understand her reasons why."

Keith leaned forward resting his elbows on his knees. "Who besides yourself went to visit her? Who could she turn to? Holly and Vicky? They are her friends, but they're college students. They're not ready - or able - to take on the responsibility of raising a teenager. Why were other families turned away?"

"Anya and Grandmother's insight," Lisa surmised. "She risked letting people know."

Sitting back, Keith interlocked his fingers, "Melody doesn't trust many people, from what I've been told. Perhaps she's _afraid_ of being emotionally close to people, possibly for fear of being hurt. She let you, albeit grudgingly, continue to visit and then take her home. When she started to become rebellious, you gave up, turned her away. This is what parenting's all about Lisa - taking the good with the bad, the ups and the downs. Maybe she was testing you, or perhaps it's something deeper. The question is, just how bad _do_ you_ really want her? Do you want her for who you _think_ she should be? Or will you want her for who she is?"

"But if she can do magic that means …." Lisa stared at her friend, starting to understand what he was suggesting. Lisa sat there thinking about what she wanted. Rising quickly, she grabbed her purse, rushing to her car hoping she wasn't too late. From the doorway Keith called out, "The best of luck Lisa, let me know what happens."

************

Mel heard the knock on the door. She had sent her roommates away, leaving her sitting alone in their room. "Go away," she said, scowling. The door opened anyway. "I said go away."

"Do you really want me to leave?" the familiar voice asked.

"You brought me back, and gave up on me .... So yeah."

"I guess I deserved that. But you have to admit, you did push me," Lisa said, closing the door behind her.

Mel didn't move, not wanting to face her, who only heard her sniffles, "Yeah, but not by magic, if that's what you think. I thought ... I thought you wanted me for me, not my diving and ..."

"No, not your diving. Well maybe a little," Lisa admitted. "But I wanted something else, somebody more important. Someone who might enjoy what I like - hiking, camping, swimming."

"I like taking things apart, and fixing them if I can. Cooking and other things."

In a gentle voice, "Look at me, please." Reluctantly Mel turned around. Lisa could see the puffiness and red eyes from Mel's crying. "Answer me truthfully. Can you still do magic? Were you the one who made my application go through?"

Slowly, Mel nodded her head. She pulled out the double-heart shaped pendant from her back pocket. "It's still a part of me. I used it to find out who Melody was. And to help your application. You knew I had been a boy, and why I didn't want to be a girl. I hoped you'd let me still be me."

Opening her purse, Lisa handed Mel several Kleenex's to wipe her eyes and blow her nose. "You didn't stop visiting me, and they were going to tear up your application," Mel continued through her sniffles. "I started to hate this place. I found out the other Melody was timid and skittish. Most families thought she was too skittish, and brought her back. The other girls were going to keep you from wanting me. They were going to see if you'd take one of them, not caring who they hurt to leave."

"So you did use magic."

"Yes, ma'am. To protect myself. Other kids had bullied Melody. I didn't think how far girls could go to be so mean to one another."

"Melody," Lisa said and saw the slight disdain in Mel's face. "That's who you have to be. You're her. I thought I was prepared to deal with you. But you're not like any of the other kids. You're different."

Mel faced away once more, not wanting to look at Lisa. "I know. I'm not like her. I'm worse. Damaged goods, and dangerous with magic. I can understand why you brought me back, not wanting me."

Lisa took hold of Mel, twisting her to face her once more. "Don't ever think of yourself as broken, Melody. I didn't come back here for a shy and timid girl. I came back here for you - the boy who had risked his life to save both Anya and Jozef. A brave boy who was willing to live as a girl so her brother could live again with his mother."

"I … I nearly killed them, Miss Lisa. Both my brother and mother were hurt because of me. Just like Nathan, I hurt my family. I'm afraid, Miss Lisa. I'm afraid I might hurt you, too."

"You had a chance at the apartment, but didn't," Lisa said.

"But I did – with what I said," Mel said, sniffling. "I could see that I hurt you pretty bad."

"What I meant was, you didn't hurt me with your magic. Sometimes, we all say things we regret. I think you can control it, just like you did here. You knew I'd come back. People up front looked at me strange when I arrived."

In a frightened voice, "I don't know how I knew, honest. It scares me Miss Lisa. I just knew you'd come back. I didn't know what would happen afterwards. I thought you'd just leave after you were done talking to me."

"So that's why you didn't send me away. You knew I was at the door."

"Yes, ma'am." Mel stood, thinking the conversation was over like she feared, when Lisa opened the door to leave.

"Well?" Lisa said holding the door open. "I told them I left something behind. Now I have to try and explain how you're here."

Surprised that Lisa _wasn't_ leaving her, Mel grabbed her suitcase and in a cautious voice, "I, uh, I can take care of that if you want."

"How?" Lisa asked suspiciously.

The next instant Mel was gone, no longer standing next to her. Lisa looked around, confused; she never saw Mel leave. Seconds later Mel reappeared, causing Lisa to place a hand over her breast. "Don't ever do that." Clearly startled at what had Mel had done.

"Sorry," Mel said quickly, "I uh, I made you forget that I was standing here, and then reappeared."

Hearing voices coming their way, "Fine, do it." Lisa said. Once more Mel disappeared.

Lisa quickly moved down the hallway, wondering what she was letting herself into.

***************

Once back at the apartment, Lisa placed a pitcher on the table once she poured each of them a glass. Having instructed Mel to put her clothes away, Lisa busied herself in the kitchen until Mel had finished. Taking a taste, Mel found the lemonade good, yet slightly bitter to her taste buds. "Whoa, that's tart."

Lisa smiled at Mel's puckered expression. "It should be. It's fresh squeezed, and I don't add much sugar," Lisa said, taking a small sip herself. "Let's consider this our first family meeting. My home, my rules." Lisa noticed Mel's look of defiance appear. "Your mom and dad set rules, right? It's the same here."

"I ... I guess," Mel said, upset with the prospect of having rules dictated to her.

"I promise that we'll talk about rules before we make them. You deserve to know why I have a rule, even if you may not like it. Is that okay?" Lisa prompted.

Mel felt a bit of hope stirring in her heart. "That sounds fair."

"Okay. Now, it's only fair that you do your share around here."

With a hint of regret, Mel asked, "Let me guess, it's back to doing the dishes, laundry, and vacuuming, as well as windows, and other chores that all girls are supposed to know."

"Well, I shouldn't do it all, now, should I? And don't think it's just not girls who need to know how to clean house. Dad never let my brothers or me out of them. We all shared the chores. And he was there just as well, helping."

"So it's not all on me?" Mel asked, surprised.

"Not unless you want to do it all. We share the responsibility. My question is, can I trust you to not make me do them all."

Mel looked shocked, then angry at what Lisa would think she'd do on purpose. "Just because I used it at the orphanage doesn't mean I liked it. Fuck, you think I like telling people what to do? Making them do shit against their will?"

"First off, young lady, there's your anger. You need to get it under control. Don't you think I should have a reason to be concerned? Second is your language, I won't put up with such vulgarity. Understand?"

"Sorry," Mel said at the admonishment, realizing that Lisa was right.

Lisa took hold of Mel's hands. "I know you had it pretty rough as David. But you're Melody, now and forever. Your old past is gone, and you're starting, anew, and that includes magic. The rules are in place not just for you, but for me too. No using magic to break curfew, control people, or going out on your own. If you practice magic, you'll do so with my permission, so I don't worry."

Mel though over what her foster mother was asking her. "Okay, it sounds reasonable."

Taking another sip of the tart lemonade, curious, Mel asked. "Miss Lisa?"

"Yes?"

"Miss Anya had promised to take me to the orphanage if they'd found me in time. As David I mean. If... if I had been David, would you have come after me then?"

Lisa was caught off guard by the question. "Melody, I can't really say what I'd have done, but I hope that I would have at least had you stay with me. I don't care if you're a boy or a girl, it's who you are inside that counts. And I see you as a very brave girl."

"But I don't want to be a girl," Mel whined.

"I know dear, and you're still fighting it," Lisa agreed, kindly. "Even now, you're still struggling to figure out who you are."

"What am I supposed to do?" Mel asked, confused.

"I suppose you'll find a balance. You can't go back, but you can move forward. I guess if being a tomboy is who you want to be, then so be it," Lisa answered.

"You won't mind? No skirts, no dresses?"

"Will I still have my diver?" Lisa teased with a smile.

"I'll never give up swimming and diving," Mel answered with a cute grin. "Miss Lisa?"

"Yes?"

Mel rinsed her glass before she placed it in the sink, finished with the lemonade. "I promise to work on my anger. I…uh, I really don't want to hurt anyone. Especially you."

"I know you wouldn't. Now come on. It's getting late and we have a lot to do tomorrow. Registering you for school, deciding on the right clothes you like, and who knows what else."

"What grade do you think I'll be going in?" Mel became worried after what happened previously.

"You should have been in eighth grade. Vicky and Holly told me how you were struggling with even seventh grade work. Just how long were you out of school?"

"About two years. I was supposed to start sixth when Nathan took us."

"Most likely sixth grade then. Perhaps if you work hard and go to summer school, you might be able to catch up," Lisa suggested. She heard the groan Mel emitted with the idea of being with kids several years younger than her.

As she changed for bed Mel contemplated about the expectations placed on her. She could feel sorry for herself, or she could make the best of it, just like Vicky did. Sliding under the covers, Mel felt content to be back once more. A soft bed and room to herself. "Miss Lisa, I'm sorry about what I said earlier and my language. It was wrong of me."

"We'll discuss it at some other time. Right now, it's late, so let's get some sleep."

Another chance, Mel thought as she lay there in bed. Is this what she wanted? She questioned herself. It wouldn't be easy, she was sure. Still, Lisa did come back for her, knowing what she could do. Maybe, she wasn't the monster she thought she was.

Lisa peered inside the room, ensuring Mel was fast asleep. Gently she closed the door, retrieved her phone and dialed. "Grandmother? I hope I'm not disturbing you at such a late hour, do you have a minute? I need to talk with you."

"No, this isn't something Keith can help me with. Yes, it's personal."

Looking at the room with the sleeping girl inside, Lisa hoped her doubts were fleeting. "I … I need your advice. No, not as my boss, but as a mother. Yes she's back. She's asleep right now." Lisa took a deep breath, "Grandmother I'm scared, worried. I've never really raised a child, let alone someone who can do magic. What can I do? I can't do magic so how will I discipline her?"

*************

The following Saturday, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, Mel wore her bathing suit underneath. She was stepping through the membership line, only the gate didn't open, and the sound of an alarm had gone off. "Step into my office" a stern voice echoed in her head. Startled by its tone, fierceness, Mel warily walked over to the grey office building, followed closely by Lisa. Once she heard the click of the lock release, she pulled open the door, allowing her entrance.

Once inside she was greeted with silence. As her eyes adjusted to the lighting, Mel could see the displeasure on Grandmother's face as the old woman sat behind her desk. "Mel, I'm going to dispel with the pleasantries I afford my guests, as I'm beyond those niceties with you. So I would prefer if you just stand in front of me," she said, gesturing before her.

Mel approached cautiously, sensing not displeasure but fury in Grandmothers voice. She felt uncomfortable at the cold anger displayed in her eyes, with an intensity that bored into her. Even protected by her pendant, Mel could feel intense anger as she stood before Grandmother.

"This park is my life," Grandmother began, "and the only thing more important to me is my Granddaughter. She is my life, Melody Kay Mudd," Grandmother spat. "I have been teaching her, not only to run the park, but also what I know of magic. Unlike you, she knows and respects what she can do. What you forced my Granddaughter to do is reprehensible. Do you know that once you vanished, she was unconscious for most of that day, and then incapacitated for two more."

"I'm sorry Grandmot -" Mel began, only to shiver visibly when Grandmother slammed her hand onto her desk and stood erect pushing her seat away.

Bracing herself on her desk she leaned forward, "Your apology does not excuse you from what you did, young lady. It is meaningless words to me!" Grandmother's voice was unnervingly insistent, spoken through a clenched jaw, which made it seem ominous and menacing.

Mel would have rather that the old woman had simply yelled at her. Yelling she knew how to deal with. This angry, insistent tone, though, visibly rattled the girl.

"I warned you about what dark magic can do," Grandmother continued, composing herself once more. "How it corrupts the soul, and yet you used your magic for your own dark designs. You used your magic on innocent people because you could, and then you tried to use it on us, on my granddaughter. Your magic is strong, I admit, but I will _not_ allow you to enter my park knowing that you can harm my guests or my granddaughter. Anya now knows the ancient chant to protect herself from you, just like I do."

Trembling, Mel stood before Grandmother. "I believed I could trust you to do what's right, Melody, but it seems my trust was misplaced."

"Grandmother, is there anything Mel could do to make amends. Lisa asked, unnerved by the ferocity of Grandmother's rebuke of Mel.

"As her legal guardian, Lisa, she is now your responsibility," Grandmother said, taking her seat once more, contemplating as Mel stood there, her head lowered. "When you first broke into my park, Melody, I was lenient in your punishment. I afforded you certain privileges. Now, if you wish to enter my park, you do so at my discretion, and as a worker - nothing more. My staff will be informed that you will be treated as nothing more than hired help, and that they are allowed to direct your work as needed. This is to include the cleaning of bathrooms, picking up trash around the outside of the park, and restocking of the concession stands. All breaks will be taken in the staff lounge, including lunch, for as of this moment, you are forbidden to partake in any of the rides. You will not be allowed to use the pools. If you must enter the water, it will only be as deemed necessary to complete any task, and you will do it quickly. You will not be asked or allowed to help either Lisa or Liz at the Junior Lifeguard Academy, nor will you be allowed to use magic. If you decide to accept my offer, you will be required to pay for all your meals, including bottled water and drinks as you work. Under no circumstances will you be paid for your services. Is that understood?"

Mel nodded her head in understanding, still looking down out of shame.

"Failure to follow these rules, Melody, will not only have you be banned from my park, but Lisa's duties as a diving instructor will be terminated."

Mel's head snapped up, looking in horror at Lisa and then Grandmother. "No!"

"As I said, Melody, she is your legal guardian now. And just like a parent, she is to be held responsible for your actions. I give you a choice; you can leave through the front door, and never return, or you can go through the back entrance and begin your duties."

"For how long Grandmother?" Mel asked.

"That is at my discretion, for me to decide. Anya may be more forgiving, but I, on the other hand, am not. I already lost a daughter to dark magic, I will not lose my Granddaughter due to the ineptness of a wayward child." Her voice had a firm conviction, as if of iron, that was unnerving.

Shamed, Mel turned and slunk towards the front door, stopping when she placed her hand on the door handle; she could use her magic, make them forget, only a voice deep inside her memories echoed. "It hurts to admit a mistake Davy, but you'll be a better person when you do, and when you learn from it." Silently she released her hold, turned and walked to the back door looking at the two adults. Neither said a word, just watched her as she stepped into the park, deciding to accept her fate and do whatever tasks need to be done.

**********

In the middle of her first full week of living with Lisa, Mel had been called by Grandmother, right after school, to work several hours, sweeping and mopping the floors in the Tiki Hut, as with cleaning behind the counters just before closing. On Tuesday, after she finished cleaning the floors, Grandmother disapproved of her work, and she'd been forced to start over. Mel had heard Lisa talking to Grandmother, explaining that Mel had school work, to hear Grandmother responded that it didn't matter. Mel found herself forced to agree, even if she hated the fact that, between homework and redoing the cleaning at the park, she didn't have any free time.

Now Mel sat on the soft ground beside the break hut, hidden from view of the porch and the pathway. It was the start of a long weekend and for the first time that day she'd been off her feet. She didn't want to sit in the lounge – everyone was acting either afraid of talking to her, because of the severity of the terms of her punishment, or they were looking at her with pity in their eyes. Both made her feel like she didn't belong working at the park. She even avoided both Vicky and Holly, fearful that they might be tempted to be lenient on her. She heard someone nearby, on the porch coming out of the lounge, and she wearily started to rise, so nobody could even accuse her of being lazy. She stopped, though, when she recognized the voices. Curious, she risked being caught and sat back down to listen.

"It's not fair, Grandmother," Holly said, protesting to her boss.

"She broke the rules, Holly," Grandmother replied, trying to sound reassuring to Holly.

"But the way you have her being treated – it's like she's a slave!"

"Holly," Grandmother chided softly, "you're studying psychology. You know that children need to be guided, lovingly, to avoid developing bad, or dangerous, habits."

"It doesn't seem very loving to me," Holly said, barely hiding the acid in her voice.

"Sometimes, love means that we have to hold firm enough that the children – even teenagers – learn the lesson. It's especially true when you have a child who is very gifted, or can use magic, like Mel. Or ... like Chessa."

"Chessa?" Holly was surprised by the name.

"My ... daughter," Grandmother said, her voice suddenly weary and cracking with emotional strain. "If I'd have been firmer with her, ...." Her voice tapered off. "I couldn't bring myself to be firm with her. And I ended up failing her as a mother." There was a long, awkward silence. "I'm not going to fail Mel. She needs to learn her lesson." The voices continued the conversation, but they faded as Holly and Grandmother walked away from the staff lounge, leaving Mel sitting, not quite understanding what she'd heard.

**********

"It's been awhile, Mel," Melinda said when she handed her some equipment. It was late on Friday, and the park had already closed to patrons, leaving behind staff to clean up and prepare for the next day. "Most of the staff put this job off till the last moment." Having caught a whiff before donning her mask, and seeing the inside, she couldn't blame them. It was like pulling sludge out of the ground, and it smelled awful. Mel had nearly gagged, even with the mask she wore, as she continued to suck up old grease and gunk from the grease trap into the disposal unit. Nearby staff members oversaw Mel's progress as she went through the tedious and dirty task of cleaning the unit, before being allowed to leave for the day.

"I want it clean thoroughly, Melody," Grandmother said, appearing without warning.

On bended knees, Mel meekly answered, "Yes, ma'am," and she began spraying the solvent to clean around the pipe drain.

As Mel cleaned the unit, her thoughts turned to how her week has started with her restocking the concession stands and patrolling the grounds for discarded towels and trash. Outside the park she'd crawl beneath the bushes, reaching for trash that had blown underneath. Her arms had showed the small scratches she received as she grumbled silently, not wanting anyone to hear her complain as she went, never stopping.

The worst of her punishment, the part that hurt the most, occurred each time she arrived at the park. She heard and saw kids around her frolic in the water or race from one ride to another. Some recognized her either from school or videos, and asked when she'd be diving or to join them on rides. Even though she wanted to, fighting the temptation to just give in, all Mel could utter in response was, "Not today. I volunteered to help around the park."

Finished cleaning, Mel dragged the container to the disposal tank just outside the park to dump its smelly contents before heading back inside to clean up herself.

Wearily, Mel dropped herself into a chair, resting her head on her arms on the table. She barely moved when Grandmother arrived to take a seat next to her. Cautiously, Mel wondered if she had more chores to do next or allow her to leave.

"You seem to be tired Mel."

Mel just looked glumly at the older woman. She had learned the hard way how tough the old woman could be. How demanding. She understood why the other girls who worked at the park tried to stay off Grandmothers bad side.

"I understand you found another use for your magic in my park."

Mel looked at the woman. She knew. Ever since she'd started working in the park there were times Mel could feel as if she was being watched, monitored. There was no escaping it. "They were fighting. I had to do something."

"Still, it was magic, Mel, in violation of my terms."

"All I did was try to help and 'suggest' they sit quietly as the other kids were being rambunctious. They weren't listening to Lauren when she was trying to watch over them. There were too many other kids distracting her. That's why I helped her."

"They're children, Mel, someone's daughters."

Too tired to argue, Mel rose to leave. She'd been caught once more and it didn't matter if what she did was right. She couldn't stop herself. Magic was a drug to her now. It was too easy to use. "I'll go, ma'am, just please don't fire Miss Lisa," she said, almost pleading in a shaky voice. "She loves helping the other kids."

"I see. So are you 'suggesting' that I don't fire her?"

Mel hesitated at the doorway. "No, ma'am," she said, unable, in her shame, to use a familiar name for the old woman. "I'm the one who made the mistake, not her. I'm just asking."

"You can't stop yourself, can you?" The question sounded so conciliatory. "Magic has its price, Mel. Even the littlest use can have consequences."

"Yes, ma'am. I tried. It seems I can't stop now."

"Then I would suggest you learn," when Grandmother handed her a book. Mel looked dumbfounded at what Grandmother had given her. It looked old, very old and worn. "If you're going to continue to use magic then you need to understand its uses and ramifications," Grandmother said. "Understand I will want that book back in as good of condition as it is now. It was given to me by my mother."

Mel looked at the book trying to fathom what was written inside.

"Answer me Mel have you learned anything from this?"

"I'm the one responsible for my actions and the severity of what happens. That even includes the use of magic."

"Then consider this homework. I'll see you tomorrow."

"But ... I can't read it!" Mel protested weakly once she looked inside. "It's not English."

"Ask Anya to cast a reading spell in the morning," Grandmother directed. "You'll have no problems understanding it then. Now, go home, get some rest, since I'm sure you'll need it to help Lisa and Liz tomorrow with their classes."

Plodding out of the park, exhausted, Mel failed to fully grasp the implication of what Grandmother had said until well after she'd left for home.

*************

Mel checked herself over, making sure she was presentable, adjusting her cap as she headed towards the door after a quick shower. Dressed in her customary pink staff shorts and shirt, to indicate she was volunteering that morning even though she was finished with her punishment, Mel placed her own swimsuit in a locker for later and strode quickly in the direction of the Junior Lifeguard Academy.

Earlier at the apartment, both Lisa and Mel had changed, as Mel found it to be Lisa's custom. Now as the two walked over to the diving area, Lisa was telling Mel, "They're my friends, Mel, and I've known Kat and her nieces for a long time." Lisa was taking a risk at introducing Mel to her friend and family. She had promised to join her friend Kat, Reba and Bobbie for lunch once she was finished with diving lessons. Mel could tell that Lisa was a little apprehensive in having her finally meet her friends.

Lisa was fretful on why Mel didn't take kindly when she heard Bobbie's name. "Well if he's the same Bobby Sinclair from school, I've already met him." Mel said with a little contempt. "He's in both my Science and Math classes." Lisa gave Mel a strange look.

"How is it you're able to talk about Bobbie like that Mel?" There were rules and effects in place once her friends had already arrived inside the park by the way she was thinking of both Keith and Bobby. If it hadn't been for Grandmothers intervention which allowed her to know their previous selves, she would only remember them as being female when they entered the park.

Mel just shrugged, "Part of the magic and my memory, I suppose."

As they approached the swimming lanes, Lisa spotted her friend Kat and Kat's niece. With her blond tresses tied behind her in a ponytail, Bobbie mingled with other kids her age. Dressed in a 'Hello Kitty' two-piece swimsuit, Bobbie ran to greet Lisa, only to pull up short when she saw the frown cross Mel's face in recognition. She gave a quick 'eep' and dashed away from the two. A young woman with brown hair in her mid-twenties approached, dressed in a white and red stripped string bikini which accentuated her lithe body.

"What was that all about," Kat asked after she gave Lisa a quick hug in greeting.

Both women looked with interest at Mel's expression when, just like with Bobby, Mel reacted to a ghostly image interposed between Kat and Lisa. The ghost quickly merged with Kat's body, leaving only the curious women staring at Mel. "Bobbie's in a few of my classes, Miss Sinclair," Mel replied once the image flitted away. With increasing frequency Mel could tell, from the phantoms she saw, who a changed person had been prior to Bikini Beach's magic changing them. She learned she couldn't be frightened, or judgmental of the changes, or else she'd never come to the park. How she came to see who they were was a mystery to her.

"Oh? She's never mentioned an older teen in her class." Kat tried to play off what she already knew as Keith.

"No, I'm sure she wouldn't. A lot of the kids were surprised when I started. A few understand I'm just a little behind, being an orphan, but," she said, giving Bobbie an icy stare, "some are immature jerks."

"Where's Reba?" Lisa asked, sensing that Mel wasn't comfortable and changed the subject quickly. She'd discuss the matter later with Mel privately.

"Hanging out with her friends over by the Safety Scrambler or Mountain Climb, most likely. I understand they're looking for a few more girls so they can have competitive races. Maybe you'd be interested, Melody?"

"I prefer just Mel, and I promised Miss Lisa I'd help out at the diving platforms and swimming."

"Maybe later, then," Kat said. "How about we have lunch at around one?" Kat suggested to Lisa. Nodding her agreement Lisa and Mel headed over to the diving platforms as Kat went over to have her own discussion with her niece.

************

Seated at the River Landing for lunch, Bobbie gave Mel a hard stare as she bit into her burger. Both glared at each other. "What's the matter with you?" Reba asked her sister having taken a seat across from her.

"Nothing."

"I heard she got a Minerva at swim practice," Mel said cryptically.

"Oh My God, who gave it to you?" Reba said angry, ready to find and fight whoever gave her sister a wedgie. "Those things hurt."

"I know," Mel said nonchalantly. "It's like this 'boy' who sits behind me in one of my classes," Mel said, eying Bobbie before dipping a fry in mayonnaise, "who thinks it's funny when he pulls on my bra and makes its snap when the teacher's not looking." Mel took a bite of her fry, having sneaked a peak at Bobbie’s startled expression. "He has no idea how bad it hurts. I've never told, but have been tempted to give him a wedgie if he doesn't stop. I'm sure your sister would think the same if it happened to her. Especially since her boobies are just showing." Bobbie heard the veiled threat.

"That's just plain mean. Still if I find who did it to my sister I'd give her a piece of my mind and fist if not one myself." Mel listened intently to how this girl would defend her sister. It reminded her of how she'd tried to protect her own brother and the disastrous results. She forced the thought away.

Pretty with her own blond hair, Reba had been very pleasant to meet, unlike many of the girls she'd encountered. And several boys were unpleasant, too, Mel thought, looking at Reba's now-sister.

"Kat?" Mel questioned. "She's your ...?"

Reba looked at the girl quizzically. "She our Aunt." Carefully Reba considered. "You wear a uniform. How much do you know about the park?"

"A lot." Mel kept her eyes off of Bobbie as she continue to eat.

"Can you keep a secret?" Reba asked, glancing at her sister. For some reason, Reba liked the girl, even if she was somewhat shy, yet different.

Mel nodded, sensing that it was important and promised not to tell. "Our mom died from cancer years ago," Reba began still saddened by the loss. She noted the same sad expression on Bobbie as well, once mentioned.

Sitting there Mel was taken back at how Bobbie's and Reba's dad was willing to change to help the two out. She was coming to learn there was more to why some people changed and not to just come to the park and swim.

"She's willing to do that for you?" Mel asked.

"For both of us really," Reba said while Bobbie just nodded."

"What about Bobbie then? Is she changed also?"

Sitting there each of the girls looked at Mel. Bobbie wondering if her sister was going to tell, stricken with the idea that she was going to be embarrassed.

Unsure, Reba saw Bobbie fidget nervously. What was she supposed to say or do? She couldn't tattle on her brother like that. She would just die of embarrassment. With what she hoped was conviction in her voice, "She's my sister."

Mel reached for another fry and dipped it into the mayonnaise, she refused to look at Reba taking a chomp of it knowing she had lied. Still she was impressed at how far Reba was willing to go to protect her brother and then just nodded.

Bobbie on the other hand didn't know what to do. This was a side she never saw of her sister. Usually there was the usual teasing once she changed back, only this was a first. She waited for the other girl to say something, anything to out her, only to hear Mel say, "Okay," which then ended the discussion. They continued to eat lunch talking of other subjects much to her relief.

Changing the subject to idle chatter the three finished their meals, before sauntering back over to the JLA. "Hey, you want to join us in our competition?" Reba asked hopefully. "We need another person, and with Bobbie on our team, we'll have just enough, and it's just for fun. Well, we do a little betting sometimes, but just for sodas and ice cream."

"I don't know." Mel said hesitantly.

"Please," Reba begged. "I heard how good a swimmer you are, and some of us aren't that great. Bobbie's really good at the climbing wall. We could really use you."

With a bit of trepidation, Mel let her guard down just a little. "Alright. But I want to change first."

Excited, Reba ran ahead to tell the others the news, leaving both Bobbie and Mel alone to catch up. "You could have told on me." Bobbie said, afraid not knowing which was going to be worse - Mel somehow knowing she was a boy and telling, or that she was the one expecting a wedgie once changed.

"Can you keep a secret?" Mel asked. Bobbie could only nod.

"So can I," Mel replied before she gave a light tug on the back of Bobbie's bikini strap. "A little reminder of what to expect if you pull mine again."

*************

Roused from her slumber, Lisa heard the moaning coming down the hall, with an occasional thumping noise. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was very early in the morning. As she approached Mel's room, Lisa heard the sounds grow louder. Cautiously she opened Mel's door. In the dim light filtering into the room from the outside security lights, she saw the girl thrashing about her bed.

"Keep away, don't make me …" Mel uttered in her restless sleep.

"Melody?" Lisa moved closer to the bed, alarmed that the girl was having a nightmare.

"Go away," Mel said rolling towards the sound, her eyes opened, but not completely awake and not identifying who was there.

"Melody wake up," Lisa said, shaking the girl.

"_Go Away, _Leave Me Alone_!" Mel bolted upright, startled at having someone rouse her from her sleep. As awareness slowly pushed aside the sleep, Mel watched the figure retreat from her room. Belatedly, she realized who it was. Mel shoved the covers away, quickly going after Lisa, who was stumbling towards the living room door, ready to leave the apartment for who knew where.

"Stop. _Don't leave_," Mel commanded sharply. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean it, Miss Lisa. Don't leave." Mel saw Lisa's stricken face at what she had done. "I'm sorry," Mel repeated, horrified herself, before running back to her room. "You're fine, you hear me, Miss Lisa, _you're fine_."

Mel quickly grabbed and threw whatever clothes she found once she grabbed her backpack. Lisa sluggishly walked to Mel's room, free from the compulsion. "I can't, I won't let this happen again. Not again," Mel said, tears in her eyes, as she pushed her way past the dazed woman.

Unnerved at being controlled, Lisa asked. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Don't know, don't care, except to be away from here." Mel said, not bothering to change, she was still dressed in her pajamas.

Overcoming her own shock, Lisa dashed forward, grabbed hold of Mel before she could leave. "NO! It wasn't your fault, Mel, it was mine."

"No, it was mine. This is why I wanted to leave my family. I promised not to use magic especially on you. I got careless, left the door unlocked, and accidentally used my magic on you. It's not safe for you."

"Then it was both our faults," Lisa reasoned, taking hold of the frightened girl, leading her to the couch and gently pressing her to sit down, sitting herself down next to Mel. "You should feel safe here. This is your home, too." Lisa held onto the girl, refusing to let go. "Your room is your private place. Now calm down and tell me what happened."

"I … I had a nightmare. I … I get them sometimes," Mel said, still shaken by both the nightmare and what she'd almost done. "Sometimes I'm being chased, but I turn on them. I'm getting ready to hurt someone, like Mom or how Nathan did. Even changed into a little girl, I see her, and, and … "Mel started trembling and sobbed some more. "I'm bad, Miss Lisa. Evil. I can't, I won't stay here."

"Shush," Lisa said soothingly, stroking her hair. "You're not bad or evil, Mel." Lisa held onto the upset girl, calming and reassuring her, refusing to let go. Once Mel had settled down, Lisa led the exhausted girl back to her bedroom. "Come on. It's late, and no one's going anywhere except back to bed," she said as she eased Mel down on her bed. After tucking the girl in, Lisa stayed next to her young ward, not leaving as Mel looked at her fearfully and warily. Brushing her hair away, Lisa continued to assure the frightened girl. "It wasn't your fault. I promise that from now on, I'll knock and announce myself. If I need to, I'll talk with you through the door if you're having a nightmare, until you're ready for me to come in. That's even during the day if your door is closed. Understand?" Mel nodded her head, still guarded and unsure.

Lisa went to close the door, to turn out the light, when she heard Mel calling in a tiny, almost pleading voice, "Lisa? Don't go please."

Lisa sat beside Mel, talking soothingly to her, while gently stroking the girls hair, until she could tell, from Mel's soft, rhythmic breathing that the girl was asleep. Gently Lisa removed Mel's hand from hers and rose from the bed. Closing the door quietly behind her, and with a shiver herself, returned to her own bed, tired from the strenuous ordeal. It was when she pulled the covers over herself she realized Mel hadn't used her usual 'Miss' when she asked her to stay. Was this a sign of Mel's trust, she wondered as she calmed herself, to drift off to sleep.

*************

Going to Lynnwood Mall with Vicky and Holly, the day had started off so well. Mel liked being with her older friends, even if it meant going shopping. Sure, she had to put up with watching the two holding up dresses, skirts and other clothes as they shopped for a few items, but it was a chance to be hanging out with others, not having to hide who she was. She didn't mind because they didn't push her with what would look cute on her, or push her to try on a skirt or a blouse like her other friends did. As they shopped, her stomach felt queasy, and she felt a slight pain in her abdomen. Soon her stomach started cramping - not too hard, only a dull aching.

"Is something wrong Mel?" Vicky asked, concerned when the trio had stopped to grab a bite in the food court.

"Nothing. I'm just not feeling hungry. My stomach kinda hurts."

"Oh?" Both girls looked at each other. Mel was usually more open with them, not the reserved girl. Today they had found her upset, even a little cranky over little things.

"Uh, if it's okay, can you just take me home? I don't feel so good." Not only was her stomach hurting, but her breasts seemed to be rather painful.

"Mel?" Vicky asked discreetly. "Where is it bothering you?" Mel placed her hand on her abdomen. They understood immediately once Mel commented. "And my breasts hurt too. They're more sensitive," she confided.

With knowing glances. "Mel, had your mom or Lisa ever talked to you about your menstrual cycle?"

"My menstrual what?"

"Oh, God, don't tell me nobody's never discussed when you could start your period," Vicky asked.

"Well, Lisa did give me some pamphlets. I just put them aside."

"Holly, call Lisa," Vicky said, escorting Mel to the Ladies' room.

Sitting in the bathroom stall, Mel stared, horrified at what she was seeing. It wasn't much, Vicky reassured her, just a few drops, but the results were the same. Mel was having her period.

"I can't." Mel uttered softly. "I can't.., I mean, I'm a … I'm a …." Vicky heard what she feared.

"Mel, I know it's a shock. I went through the same feelings," she said, talking to the girl as Mel just pulled up her jeans."

With her shell-shocked expression, Vicky knew that Mel was slowly realizing the totality of what was happening to her. "You were hoping, holding onto the idea Mel, but it is what it is. I went through the same thing, denial. You're growing into a woman."

A part of her seemed to shatter inside - the last male vestige of who she had been -destroyed forever with the placement of a few droplets of blood. Gone was the idea of ever thinking she was just a boy trapped inside the shell of a girl. Vicky grabbed hold of the shaking girl, holding her tightly as Mel cried uncontrollably on her shoulder.

"I'm a girl," Mel sobbed. "Damn it Vicky, I'm a fucking girl. Not a boy, not a tomboy, but a full-fledged, fucking girl. Boys will want to …." She couldn't say it. Her eyes seemed to glaze over as she visualized what she had seen as David. Vivid images of when Nathan had taken his own mother into another room.

Vicky saw the blank stare, and knew she had to get Mel out of there fast. "Mel, snap out of it. Please, whatever you're doing, stop. You'll be okay." Leaving the restroom, Vicky held the distraught girl close, afraid what Mel would do or say in her current state of mental anguish.

"What happened?" Holly asked as the two quickly left the Mall with the distraught girl.

"What do you think happened. She's in denial," Vicky said. "You remember how you felt when you had to handle your first one?"

"Yeah," Holly said.

"You said it was easier because of the magical help Grandmother gave you. I suffered through mine, " Vicky replied, buckling Mel into the backseat of her car. "And they can't help Mel either. You're the one taking psychology. Think of what it means to her."

"Damn," Holly said, scooting beside Mel. Holly kept talking, reassuring the girl. Neither had ever seen her so withdrawn, so nearly catatonic. Speeding her home, Vicky's face showed her worry. She'd been down that path, and knew how traumatic it could be for Mel.

Lisa ushered the girls inside once they arrived at the apartment, to help Mel sit down on the sofa once the girls brought her in. Seated on the couch they patiently consoled the young girl each worried on what Mel might do. "Oh crap," Mel said, finally snapping out of the mental state she'd been in. "It happened didn't it? I really started."

"Yes, dear," Lisa said taking hold of Mel, not allowing her leave.

Vicky headed into the bathroom, looking in the counters. "Lisa, where do you keep your pads at?"

"I, uh,… don't have any", Lisa responded.

"Tampons?"

"No. None." she admitted, a slight unease in her voice.

"Probably ran out," Vicky guessed. "I guess we'll have to go shopping for some then."

Lisa couldn't look at the girls - none knew of her - condition.

************

Mel stayed close behind Vicky, embarrassed at the urgency they went down the pharmacy aisle, while Lisa chatted with Holly. "I'm glad you girls were there for her," Lisa said. "I'd hate to think what might have happened if she started at school. I should have known better from the way she had been behaving the last few days." Mel felt like crying at the feeling of the pad. It felt so… so strange - not uncomfortable but out of place. Luckily Holly had a spare in her purse for later use.

"You'll get used to it. Trust us, Mel," Holly said, taking the lead once seeing Mel's discomfort at where she was. She could see Lisa biting her lower lip, a sure sign of her own nervousness.

"We're just glad to help, Lisa," Vicky said with all sincerity.

"I appreciate it," Lisa said. "Most girls had already started, although a few started late. Now here I am not following my own advice." Lisa felt ashamed.

Mel felt humiliated as she followed the three of them down the aisle, looking over the rows of feminine products.

"Okay, Mel," Holly said, stopping in front of a large assortment of boxes. As she tried to take in the dizzying array of colors and labels, Mel's face showed her confusion at row after row of sanitary napkins.

"Let's start you off with the simples. Are you sure this is your first?" Vicky wasn't taking any chances.

"What do you think," Mel answered, testy at being asked. "I didn't have any when I was with … you know."

"Well there are many types, depending on your flow. You can find one that you like once you settle, but I personally like these," Vicky said, pulling out a box, "They're thin and have a nice fragrance." Mel didn't care. At least they looked simple to use. Then the real shock came when they went a little further down the aisle.

*************

"Why does it have to be so yucky and hurt?" Mel complained as she flushed the toilet from wiping. She placed the plastic wrap with the applicator in the trash can.

"You're young, Mel. You're not used to using them yet," Vicky said.

Lisa stood outside in the hall with Holly, close by, as Vicky volunteered to show Mel how to use the applicator. Both kept out of sight so as not to further embarrass the girl. "It's like Vicky explained, Mel, to help cleanse your body. You're becoming a young woman now. I'm surprised you didn't notice the discharges earlier."

After her embarrassment at the drugstore, Mel's education really began when they came home.

"Mel, I know what you're thinking," Vicky said as she showed Mel how to apply and dispose of the old panty liner.

"Why didn't you bring it up?" Mel asked bitterly. "You'd think it was important that I knew what to expect, instead of freaking out." Mel didn't see the change in Lisa's expression on the other side of the wall as she complained, without thinking.

"It is important," Lisa said, fighting back the pain of Mel's accusation. "Be sure to wash your hands."

"Thanks. Vicky said the same thing, and she suggested that I keep wipes with me. The school's bathrooms suck."

Lisa stood, hurt, and speechless.

Finished, Mel proceeded to her room wearing just her clean panties, having thrown both her stained ones and jeans in the hamper. "Might as well get it over with," she groused as she started rummaging through her closet.

"What are you looking for?" Lisa asked, having followed Mel to her room. She saw Mel pull out various clothes only to fling them aside till she came across the discarded skorts, ignoring her jeans, tossing them on her bed, as Mel continued to search through her closet.

"What do you think? I might as well start dressing like a girl," Mel said her voice sounding dejected. "Let all the boys see me as the girl that I am."

"Mel, you don't want to do that," Vicky urged. "What happened to you wanting to be a tomboy?"

"Look at me!" Mel said pointing to herself, dressed in only her panties and bra in front of the group of woman. "I have breasts, I have a vagina, AND I BLEED LIKE A FUCKING GIRL," Mel screamed, before she threw herself on her bed. "Boys can screw me so I can have their babies and be a mother.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Mel said accusingly, looking at Lisa from her bed. "Why didn't we have 'The Talk,' Mel spat at her. "You wanted to be my foster mother. Why did I have to hear it from my friends?" as she pointed to Vicky and Holly. "Am I just another someone you're taking care of, not caring about?" Mel yelled, her emotions running rampant, taking control. "Am I just another dumb orphan for you to look after? You know how I feel about being a girl. Well I thought you did."

All three stood there, as Mel unleashed her vitriolic verbal assault on Lisa. What could she say except, "You're right," Lisa admitted sadly. "You are my responsibility. I promised to care for you. To teach you, and here is one of the most important aspects of your life, and I failed." Lisa's voice trembled. "I'm sorry, Mel, I guess I'm not much of a foster mother am I. I'm not much of a woman either." With tears tracking down her cheeks, she turned and fled to her own bedroom.

Holly and Vicky stared at each other for a moment, before they helped Mel stand. Gently, they guided her down the hall to Lisa's room.

"What do you mean, not much of a woman?" Holly asked for the three girls confused by her statement and emotional reaction.

Lisa rolled over, wiping at the tears on her cheeks, and sat up. "Mel's right. It's my responsibility as her foster mother to help and teach her," Lisa confessed. "The thing is, it's something I'm not familiar with."

Nobody said anything. "You wondered why I would run out of something a woman would need to keep on hand." Lisa informed the girls. "I ... I don't have a need for them. Remember our first argument where I said I couldn't have kids, Mel?" With trepidation Lisa lowered her own jeans just enough and lifted her shirt for all to see.

From where they stood the three could see an old scar just below Lisa's navel. Each noticed Lisa's embarrassment, even humiliation, at showing what few knew.

Ever since Mel had first started living with her, Lisa had never appeared without a robe or long shirt on. It wasn't for modesty, Mel realized now; it was from embarrassment. The girls had never seen Lisa in anything but a one piece swimsuit. And she always left the park to shower and change in the privacy of her home. "It happened when I was a little girl, and was in an accident," Lisa said mortified at the life-long secret she was having to reveal. "I have no need for pads or tampons. This is why I always wear a one-piece swimsuit, and long skirts. No short tops for any to see."

They could see and hear the pain as she continued. "Your period cleanses the linings of the uterus, discharging it from the body, Mel. I have ovaries, and fallopian tubes for reproduction, but I don't have a uterus. There's nothing for the eggs to attach to." Tears began to trickle down her cheeks once more. "I had a hysterectomy due to my injury that became infected. I'm incomplete," Lisa said, "inferior, not much of a woman." She looked devastated at having divulged what she'd always considered intimate.

Securing her jeans once more, her voice betrayed the humiliation she felt, "I've always wanted my own kids, girls to love and feel complete. I loved it when I took care of Bobby and Reba. I loved being allowed to look after others, hoping one day to have one for my own." She lowered her gaze and shook her head sadly. "I guess my boyfriend was right. I am a failure as a parent."

Lisa flopped back down on the bed, her back to the girls. She was sobbing at the painful disclosure, at her humiliation of being what she felt was less than a woman. For the first time since living with Lisa, Mel really wished she could disappear.

Nodding to Holly, Vicky took Mel's arm and guided her back to her own bedroom, leaving Holly to comfort Lisa. She gently pushed Mel down to sit on her own bed, sitting beside her. "Mel, is this what you want? To hurt the people who love you? To follow the path that I went down? To roam the streets?"

Mel looked her friend over trying to understand what she was saying.

"We can't stop you Mel. If you decide, you can make us forget, or worse. You can make us just leave, believing whatever you want us to believe. I don't want you to do that. You're my friend, and I don't want you to follow the path I did." She gulped at the surge of memories. "You know what it was like for me – I couldn't forget who I'd been, either. I went through a long period of denial, until one day, I broke and realized that I'd never go back. Then I got angry – at everything. I ... drank, to ease the pain. I rebelled. I ... even took drugs and slept around. I was a drunken slut, Mel, because of my anger! Do you know how much hurt and pain I caused my family through all of that? Do you want to go through that, too Mel?"

Vicky took hold of Mel's hands. "You're thirteen and just starting. I was seventeen, with no one to guide me. Look at what you just did to Lisa. Did you hear the pain in her voice at having to reveal her secret? Not just to you, but to me and Holly as well."

For the first time she had known Vicky, Mel heard uncertainty in her voice. "Do you know that I have a record for drunk driving? And when I thought I couldn't handle any more, I wanted to end it. I _tried_ to kill myself. Are you going to follow my footsteps Mel? It nearly killed me. As much as you may not believe it, Lisa cares for you. You don't hear her talk to some of us about how happy you've made her, Mel. You don't hear the pride in her voice when she describes your accomplishments, just like a proud parent." Vicky shook her head. "I'm ashamed of you. Lisa's doing her best. She made a mistake and you're acting like she did it on purpose to embarrass or hurt you."

Mel listened quietly to Vicky's advice and scolding. Still, she couldn't get over what _she_ was going through. "But I hate it. It sucks."

"Yes, Mel, it does. I don't exactly like mine, either. It's disgusting, but just like other – girls I endure it. You don't have to like it. You just learn to live with it. Maybe someday, like me, you'll learn to accept it. But none of us, including Lisa, expect you to accept things right now. What you're going through is grieving your loss of being a boy. It will take time. It took time for me, and for Holly. But you have people to help you, and listen to you, and not judge you. I didn't have that."

Looking down the hall to the closed door, Mel wondered, "But what am I going to do?"

"What do you think you should do Mel?"

Slowly Mel went to the door, where she could hear the soft sobbing of the woman who had taken her in. Again she'd hurt her and all Mel could do was apologize. Knocking, Mel pushed open the door to find Lisa, who only wanted to have someone to love, and be loved, sitting with her head on Holly's shoulder crying.

"Lisa?" Mel said slowly walking up to her. "I guess there's more to being a girl than I thought. More than just cleaning house."

"There are a lot of other things, like personal hygiene, but I'm sure Vicky or Holly will tell you about them," Lisa said.

Looking at her friends, Mel shook her head. "I don't want them to tell me," Mel said. Gingerly, uncertain, she laid a hand on Lisa's. "They're my friends, but they're not the ones taking care of me. You are."

"I'm not doing much of a good job am I?"

"Don't ever say that, please. You're the one I'm staying with. You set the rules, I obey them. You tell me when I'm bad, and you discipline me – out of love. I thought you were so strong, and couldn't be hurt. I don't know about your old boyfriend, but to me, you're the best foster mother I can ask for. I … I think he's an asshole for believing you're not a woman."

Lisa chuckled through her tears. "Language, Mel," she admonished the girl, wiping her tears away. "I'd hate to think what you'd suggest to him if you ever met him," she added with a nervous laugh.

"Maybe I'd show him what it means to never be a man when he can't get it up - ever again." Mel's hands came down as she clasped her stomach when she experienced another very sharp abdominal cramp.

"Melody!" Lisa exclaimed.

Mel wasn't sure if it was from what she said or with her hand over her abdomen, the pain barely tolerable.

"Come on. Let's go." Lisa said rising from her bed, growing once more concerned for the welfare of her charge.

"What?"

"You're right Mel," Lisa said, willing away her own discomfort, "Vicky and Holly aren't the ones responsible. I am. Now perhaps a good warm bath, will help you through this. If not then, before bed, perhaps some Midol or a warm water-bottle will help if you need it."

Halfhearted, Mel tried to laugh only to find herself crying instead, unable to repudiate the fact any longer. "I really am a girl."

Lisa took hold of the young girl, pressing her close, letting the distressed Mel cry softly on her. "Yes, sweetheart, you’re a girl." Gently Lisa wiped the tears as Vicky and Holly waited nearby.

"I went through the same feelings," Vicky said. "The pain, the hurt of knowing, Mel." Vicky gently rubbed the girls' hand in hers.

"Never going to be a boy again." Mel sobbed in a wimper, grieving over her loss, "Never going to be David again."

"No Mel, you won't be David," Lisa said in a soothing, comforting voice. "But you'll always be Mel. Our little tomboy."

Shortly, after the three helped Mel lay beside Lisa, "I guess you and I are going to have that long discussion about personal hygiene." Lisa said, when Mel looked up having rested her head on Lisa's lap, a pout on her face. "I know it hurts Mel, but there are a few other important matters we need to discuss. If I don't know, I'll find the answer." Lisa said.

"Oh how I wish you were just a little bit older - past this puberty stage, but we'll manage through somehow. Your moods will change so rapidly, Mel, so be aware, because I'm going to have to be."

Later after leaving an emotionally drained Mel slumbering on her bed, Lisa went over to Vicky. "I don't know what you said, but thank-you," giving Vicky a tight hug.

"It's okay Lisa," Vicky said. "It wasn't the best moment, but Mel's a good kid. And if you need help just give us a call. She reminds me so much of my sister, Angela."

As the girls walked to the door, "It's a start for her Lisa." Holly commented, "Acceptance of being a girl is always the hardest part. We are sorry about your condition and won't mention it to anyone. But if you want to talk, call me. I'll only charge a home cooked meal," she joked.

Wiping her own tears once more, Lisa said, "You both earned free meals for helping me with her. And I just may take you up on that offer, Holly." She hugged the girls once more and waved as they left.

Exhausted herself from the long ordeal, Lisa returned to the sleeping Mel as she placed a comforter over her. "Don't ever think you'll stop being my tomboy, Mel. You'll always be my tomboy."

*************

Mel sulked as she read in the sports section of the newspaper how the V.M. Junior High Lions lost another game. "Where's Brad? Wasn't he playing?" Mel questioned, reading how another defensive-end had fumbled a major play. According to the sportswriters, what should have been an easy tackle turned into a penalty that allowed the opposing team to gain a first down, and subsequently, the winning touchdown. "Isn't he still playing football?"

"Put the paper down, Mel, and help me finish with the dishes," Lisa said.

Mel grabbed a drying cloth while Lisa scrubbed down another plate. "I don't understand, Lisa. Did Brad change to where he didn't play?" Mel asked, worried about what changes she'd caused when she left her family. "I mean, they don't mention him playing, or even his name in the school paper."

"Mel, what did we talk about?"

"I know, Lisa," Mel said taking the plate and began drying it. "I'm to stay away. I shouldn't even be checking on him. It's just that I miss him, and I know he loves football. Or at least, he did." Mel grabbed another dish. "I didn't think my leaving would change that."

Lisa could see the worry on Mel's face. Mel had left her old family to fix what she considered her fault – the injury to her brother. "Mel, what Anya did changed far more than just healing both your brother and mom. Grandmother said parts of their lives were changed since you weren't with them. Even she doesn't understand all of the ramifications of what occurred. They're still your family- at least in your memories, but you're not part of that family anymore."

Lisa considered carefully. "Mel, your becoming an orphan caused a domino effect. That change forced Anya into a realm of magic that she neither wanted nor was prepared for from what I understand, and she couldn't totally control."

"Oh. So Brad may not be playing football then?"

Lisa could see the brooding look on her face, the worry of not knowing.

"Fine. Come on," Lisa said wiping her hands off.

"What? Where are we going?"

"You want to know what happened," Lisa said pulling her keys from her purse. "You're not the only one curious about what changed. I asked Grandmother and Anya. They were cryptic as always, but understood that I may need to know since I'm raising you."

Sitting inside the car, Mel had a worried look as Brad practiced across the street. No longer were they living in the house that she knew of.

Situated in a smaller home in a different neighborhood, Brad stormed across the yard clad in his shoulder pads, with his football helmet in hand, he looked frustrated. She watched as he put his helmet on, took his stance, and started pushing against a tackling dummy in the yard. After a few moments, he stopped and threw down his helmet, cursing in disgust at his performance.

Mel couldn't stand watching any more, and before Lisa could stop her, she hopped out of the car and dashed across the street. "You're doing it wrong," she called to him.

"Look, I don't need no pointers," Brad snarled at the intruder, "especially from a ...," he stopped mid-sentence when he looked at the girl, too stunned by her matter-of-fact manner of speaking.

Standing there before him, she crossed her arms. "Your stance -it's all wrong, she continued, "and the way you're coming out of the stance is wrong, too."

"How would you know?" he asked angrily. He didn't want to admit to this strange girl that his coaches had told him the exact same thing. Only they insisted he play it their way. He had the stamina and the guts to play, but they couldn't get him to follow their direction. As a result, he'd been relegated to the benches, still on the team, just not allowed to play fully. He was a bench warmer, a third stringer, playing only when the Lions had a very comfortable lead, which wasn't often.

"Show me your stance."

"Why? Who the heck are you?" Something about her seemed familiar, but he couldn't quite place it.

"Show me your stance," Mel insisted, ignoring his question, before getting down into a blocking position herself. Wearing tan capris and a burgundy short-sleeve unisex shirt, Mel looked a little silly as she waited for Brad to follow her lead.

She looked cute, he thought, but then he pushed the thought away. It just didn't seem right. What was she, some kind of butch girl or tomboy?

Whatever, Brad thought and decided to humor the intruder and took his position. Mel immediately stood up. "That's not right. How does it feel?"

Grudgingly he admitted, "It feels awkward."

"Then why are you in it? What feels right?"

"It's the position the assistant coach wants me to take," he countered, standing up once more.

Mel could see the stubbornness in him. It was there, yet for some reason, he'd given in to the coaches. "Oh, so do your coaches know you're a southpaw?" Standing next to her, he was taller by several inches, still she didn't seem intimidated by his size and bulk. It was as if she was one of his coaches, evaluating him and sizing him up.

"How do you know that?" he asked, baffled. She couldn't have known that in just the few seconds she'd been there.

"Because I watched you change from one stance to another. What was natural for you became awkward. Your hands moved, but not your lead foot. It's throwing you off. Now get back into position," she commanded. Brad did as she asked, flustered by this brash young girl. "Not like that, dummy," she said in a reproving voice. "What did I say? Like this" she explained as she demonstrated the stance. "You want you're lead foot to push you off while your arms give you the forward momentum you need for balance," Mel explained patiently.

Facing the girl, he saw the determination in her face. "Now act like you're going to hit me."

"What!? No!" Brad exclaimed, the very idea of hitting a girl repulsive.

"Not hard, idiot. In slow-mo." Together the two headed towards each other, acting out how they were supposed to block each other. "That's it. Now try it on the dummy. Only lean towards your right more, and with your left arm push forward so your right can push your opponent away. You want to brush them off as you move pass them." After several attempts, Brad found the movement natural and easy to work with. "Now speed it up. Start hitting harder," as she took hold of the dummy and braced for the impact when he once more started tackling."

After two hits, Mel yelled out, "What the heck is that? You hit like a girl. I can hit harder than that," she said, taunting him.

"You're holding the dummy," Brad griped. Holding back, he didn't want to hurt this newcomer as he butted against the dummy once more.

Frustrated, "Oh come on. What are you doing? Afraid you'll hurt me? I've been through worse. Now hit it hard," Mel leaned her weight into the dummy.

Brad struck harder using only the minimal amount of force. He resumed his stance quickly. "I can hit better than you do. You don't want to play football!" she teased. "You're a wuss, a girl like me. Unless you'd rather be doing ballet _HIT_ the dummy, Brad, not tap it."

Angered by her taunts, Brad tore into the dummy, lifting it off the ground, with all his might, sending Mel flying back from the dummy. Unexpectedly, he heard a car door slam followed by a woman's scream, "Melody!"

Brad looked down at the girl lying there, shocked at what he'd done. He couldn't stop himself. Slowly, easing herself up, Mel chuckled. "I'm okay, Lisa." She pulled herself off the ground, brushing herself off. "I forgot how hard he could hit, and how much weaker I am now."

"Look I'm sorry-," Brad started to say, only to stop mid-sentence when he saw the disapproving look the older woman gave him, and then the girl.

"I think that's enough, Mel. Get in the car –Now!"

"Just keep doing that, Brad. Don't let your coaches steer you wrong. Push back, show them," she said with a grin before heading back to the car with the older woman, leaving him standing there, open-mouthed with surprise. For the first time in a long time, Brad felt a connection to someone who understood him and his desire to play and succeed.

Riding home, Lisa nearly screamed with anger, "What did you promise me Mel?" Not waiting for an answer, "NO magic without permission, and here you are using it on your brother. Didn't you learn anything from the last time?"

Trying to justify her actions, "But he needed it. He wasn't putting everything into it."

Lisa kept a firm grip on the steering wheel. "It doesn't matter. This is his life. By your own desire, you're not part of theirs anymore. Against my better judgment, I allowed you to see him. Give him pointers and tips on what to do. That should have been enough. You shouldn't have made him hit you."

Mel rubbed her shoulders and breasts. "Yeah, he did hit the dummy pretty hard."

Lisa didn't reply, as Mel sensed she stepped over the line. Neither spoke another word on the way home. In silence Lisa drove past the apartment and continued to Bikini Beach. Mel wondered what was going on.

Once Lisa had pulled into the parking lot, the two walked straight to the grey office building. The door opened before they could press the buzzer to announce their presence. Mel felt Grandmothers presence once they entered the building. Once inside, "Lisa, Mel." Grandmother said. "What a pleasant surprise." She gestured towards the informal section as they all took a seat. "So what can I do for you?" Grandmother could see and sense Lisa's discontent.

"Punishment Grandmother," Lisa said, upset and not bothering to fully explain, knowing that Grandmother most likely knew. "Mel disobeyed me, broke her promise."

"I see," Grandmother said turning to gazed at Mel. "Is this true?"

"I," Mel began, only to stop. She learned it was far better to not lie to Grandmother. "Yes ma'am."

"Are there are any needed chores or tasks she can do?" Lisa asked.

Grandmother gave a thoughtful look. "We could use some help with the dish washing since the machine is currently broken. Jenny said the motor's burned out. It would be at least a day, possibly two before a replacement part arrives. And then there is of course the towels the customers use. I'm sure the girls wouldn't mind some extra help in both washing and folding them."

"But that could take hours." Mel complained. "All I did was have Brad tackle the dummy like he should have. And I was the one holding it." She rubbed her shoulder for emphasis.

"Well I suppose I could pay for your time then." Mel perked up at the idea and a smile formed on Mel's face at being paid for her services.

Her smile was squashed instantly when Lisa crossed her arms and in a firm voice "No," refusing to budge. "This is a punishment, not some form of reward. She disobeyed me, promised me, Grandmother. I want her to think about her actions and what could have happened."

Grandmother looked at Mel. "I'm sorry Mel. You agreed and she is your foster mother. You'll spend your time alternating between the two." Crestfallen, Mel followed Lisa out the back door, leading to the park. Neither saw the smile on Grandmothers face once they exited the office.

Dressed in the customary clothes Mel scrubbed down another pot. With no bathing suit underneath there would be no swimming afterwards. "It's not fair, Holly," Mel complained when Holly placed another stack of dishes and pans next to the sink.

"No, Mel," Holly said contradicting the young girl. "It's one thing to give helpful suggestions, but it was wrong to make him hit you against his will. What if he'd hurt you. I mean seriously hurt you."

"Are you analyzing me again?" Mel asked.

"Yeah," Holly said honestly. "You're the first person I know who is growing up with magic." She chuckled. "I could use it as a case study, but no-one would believe it, since only a few of us believe in magic! More important, I'm your friend. Right?"

"Well yeah."

"How do you think Vicky and I would feel if we knew you were hurt, or worse, how Lisa would feel?"

"I didn't think of that."

"No, you didn't," Holly gently admonished the girl. "Your intentions were good, just not fully thought out. Now finish these, then head over to the laundry room. Those towels won't fold themselves, you know."

Mel went back to work cleaning the dishes, thinking over what Holly had said.

Once finished, Mel hoped that there weren't many patrons planning on eating a late lunch or snack.

*************

The following weekend Mel looked over the paper. "It was worth it, Lisa. Look," Mel exclaimed, pointing to the article. Her excitement stopped when she saw Lisa's expression. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean me using magic, but the tips. Look here," she said, her excitement returning as she showed Lisa the paper. "They let him play, and look, he managed at least two sacks along with several forced hurried throws."

Lisa read the paper as Mel rushed to get her phone. "I gotta tell Reba," the girl said, excitedly, running to her room for some privacy. Surprisingly, she left the door opened.

"Why your interest in him? You like him, don't you?" Reba asked, teasing her friend.

Lying on her bed facing the door, Mel kicked her feet lazily in the air as she talked on her cell. "What? No, I mean of course I like him," she said, only to stop herself short. "I mean he's … well he's … Mel didn't know how to explain it to her new friend. Very few people even knew Brad was her brother. "I mean, he's okay, I guess."

"From the pictures, I think he's cute. Maybe even handsome," Reba said with a giggle. Mel couldn't believe her ears. "Too bad he's in another school."

"Yeah," Mel agreed somewhat dejectedly. "But anyway, I think he was awesome." Mel thought it was kind of gross to hear how Reba thought of her brother Brad, and quickly changed the subject to a school project she and Bobby were sharing. "So did Bobby finish his half of the project? We're working on that science project together, and he's supposed to do the write up."

"Hey, why don't see if you can come over and check," Reba suggested. "Dad's interested in that experiment." Giddy at the prospect, Mel scooted off her bed to ask for permission.

**********

Mel carried the model rocket up the stairs, chatting away with Lisa. "Did you see the looks everyone gave us when we went through the launch sequence? They must have thought we were just faking it." Mel was extremely proud of her accomplishment of having made a B-plus on the joint science project, and her voice and expression reflected it.

"You're telling me." Lisa said holding open the door to the apartment. "If I hadn't known better, I'd have been startled, too."

"Well I think Bobby and I would have gotten an A-plus if the parachute had opened like it should have. I just wanted to do something more challenging than a stupid potato and light bulb trick. I want to get out of sixth grade and in seventh before the first semester ends." She was chattering non-stop in her enthusiasm and excitement. "It flew just like a working rocket. Bobby did an awesome job describing how it works, too. I'm glad he did that part, because I suck at writing papers. Both our grades depended on it."

"Well Keith helped him, I'm sure. Using compressed air instead of booster rockets was a better idea and didn't hurt anyone. Although you scared half the teachers when it came crashing back down towards them."

"I don't know what happened," Mel said looking over the broken nosecone. "It worked fine when Bobby and I tested it with Vicky and Holly," Mel said, clearly disappointed.

"I'm sure you'll figure it out," Lisa said, knowing Mel.

Mel chuckled as she hurried to put the rocket it her room. "Why is it they think girls are dumb?" Mel called out when she heard the beeping of her phone informing her she had a text message waiting.

"Societies misconceptions of what a girl can do, Mel. It was nice of Vicky to keep encouraging you to push yourself on it." Lisa said bringing the two a drink. Her expression changed when she saw Mel's face. "What's wrong?"

Mel showed the message to Lisa. "Should I answer him? I didn't tell him my number, I swear."

Lisa looked over the message. "I don't think that would be a good idea."

Mel read through the rest of the messages, curious. "He wants to know if we can meet again. He wants me to help him out some more. His coaches were impressed, but he thinks he can do better."

"Mel!" Lisa began, hesitant at allowing the girl to see her brother again, only to relent when she saw the look on her face, the longing to see and talk to him once more. "Fine," she said, giving in. "But not here at the apartment. And under no circumstances –"

Excited, Mel hugged Lisa before she replied to the instant message. "I promise, I pinky swear no magic. Is tomorrow after school okay? I don't have any homework."

"First, find out how he -"

"On it," and Mel showed her the message before Lisa even finished. "He said he heard other kids who go to the park talk about me, and he saw the fliers about the diving clinics. Then he Googled me up on the Internet and got my phone number."

Mel texted him back saying it was okay, only they were to meet at his house.

Placing the drinks on the table, Lisa watched as Mel plopped down onto the recliner, her legs dangling over an armrest, to exchange text messages, worried if she was making the right decision.

*************

Giving suggestions under Lisa's gaze, Mel watched as her brother practiced his moves at Brad's Junior High School. A day turned into a few weeks as Mel watched her brother improve. Standing on the playing field Mel tossed her brother a water bottle. "You're looking awesome, and I'd like to help more, but I need to head home. I have homework, and it's getting late."

It hadn't escaped Mel's attention on how several of the boys kept looking at her, making her uncomfortable. From what she observed, several had tried more than once to gain her notice by showing off, trying to impress her. "Hey, sorry about the guys," Brad commented awkwardly, himself taking notice. "I'm even getting some ribbing from them. They think we're an item, that I'm your crush." Brad saw the disgusted, even shocked look on her face. "Hey, I think your pretty, but don't take this wrong - I like you, just as a friend." Brad relaxed when Mel did also. To visibly blush at the compliment.

Shuffling her foot, Mel was caught in the awkward situation. "I like you as a friend, also. Nothing more." Thankfully Mel heard the honking of the horn, seeing Lisa waving from the car to attract her attention. Taking the opportunity, Mel said quickly, "Look, I gotta get going. Keep practicing. You're doing great." As she dashed off the field towards the waiting car several boys watched, with growing interest, at how she moved. Returning to the field Brad decided he would confront a few. For reasons unknown, Brad felt protective of his new friend.

Taking her seat, Mel could see the worried look on Lisa's face as she fastened her seatbelt. "I didn't do anything, Lisa," she said, anticipating the question. "But he did ask if I'd watch him play this Saturday."

"You know who they're playing against don't you?"

"Yes ma'am. The Panthers. Us. Uh, can we go? I told him I couldn't but I'd like to watch. Since we're on the visitors' side he shouldn't see us."

"Mel, this is getting out of hand. You're becoming too involved with him."

"One more game. Please? He's doing it all on his own now, anyway. I'm just cheering for him. Besides, the boys are starting to look at me like ... guys do. Especially that quarterback Richards. He purposely threw footballs my way and he ... ugh! He creeps me out."

Lisa could only chuckle, but it was a worried laugh. "It seems you're not interested in boys." Lisa considered the request. "Alright, one more game, where they can't see us and that's it. You're finished."

Mel beamed, pulling out her phone. "You're not texting him are you?" Lisa asked, worried if she made a mistake in allowing Mel to continue to see her brother.

"No," Mel said, giggling. "I'm seeing if Reba wants to go. You know how she thinks he's cute. I can't understand why though," she added with a hint of disgust.

"I think I'm regretting this already," Lisa said, turning onto the main highway. Lisa saw the faraway look on Mel's face. "What are you doing now?"

"Homework. I have to read history pages two-hundred-fifty-three to two-hundred-ninety six, and then answer the questions."

"At least you're finding another use for your memory besides telling me how to improve my cooking," Lisa said jokingly.

"There's nothing wrong with your cooking. It's way better than Jenny's, and healthier for us, let me tell you. I know why Natty likes to exchange lunches when I bring my own and Jenny makes hers - so she doesn't starve."

"I'll be sure to tell Jenny that." Lisa teased, never intending to. She'd tasted Jenny's cooking herself. Although it wasn't bad, it was repetitious, if not bland. Her partner Melinda was by _far_ the better cook.

"Don't you dare. I'll make you forget."

"You wouldn't," the banter between the two had grown friendly over time.

"No," Mel said laughing, "but I'm starting to wish I never memorized these pages. Why do we need to know about the industrial revolution, prohibition, and dead presidents? Between this or Jenny's cooking, hers is more exciting. Man this is so ever booooriiiing!"

*************

"Can I help you?" the girl inside the booth asked the next customer. She peered at him through the glass. Having stepped in while one the regular girls took a quick bathroom break, Jill looked over the boy.

"Yeah, I was wondering if a girl named Melody's here? I heard she helps out sometimes on the weekends at the diving section with her foster mother."

The girl was taken by surprise. Most boys, especially the jocks, just wanted to enter and ogle the girls inside, not look for a specific person. "Classes started over half an hour ago. If she's there that's where you'll find her."

Brad didn't see any listing for prices to enter. "How much for a ticket?"

"We don't sell tickets. This is an exclusive park for members only," Jill said inside the ticket booth, and she saw the boy's face fall. At first glance she'd taken him for just another up-and-coming jock from the way of his build, mistaking him to be fifteen if not sixteen years of age. Surely he wouldn't remember the experience. Most of the macho boys didn't, especially the football players. Not from what she understood of the magic. "We do have a few limited day passes available," she said and quoted him a price.

"That's kinda high" Brad said, not having the required amount. He'd heard the price was steep, but didn't expect the rate quoted him. With the loss of his dad and only his mother working, money was tight for the two. Most of his inheritance was tied up in education from what his father stipulated in both will and insurance. His mom worked nights, having used what she received from the insurance to pay off the mortgage and as many bills and credit cards as possible. They were doing better financially, only her job didn't pay much which strained their savings. As a result he'd give her most of what he earned doing odd jobs around the neighborhood just to help out.

Jill waited for the expected haggling when people heard the high cost only to see the boy turn away.

Politely Brad said, "Thanks," as he turned to leave, the disappoint evident on his face.

It was Jill who was surprised, expecting the boy to fight or question her. Looking on the computer monitor, "Excuse me, sir," she called out through the glass.

Brad turned his attention back to the attendant.

"We do offer other forms of discounts. Is your father or mother military?" as she questioned the boy further.

Showing her his dependent's identification card, she gave him a formal smile when he slid it under the glass for her to examine.

Brad counted his blessings for the discounted pass as he walked confidently to the door having taken the required shower, which he found refreshing, only he stopped once he rounded a corner to spy a gangly-looking girl next to the exit.

Clad in a neon zebra-striped frilled bottom, her budding breasts were the first thing he noticed. He averted his eyes, embarrassed by the sight as she stood before him topless. Brad couldn't believe what he was seeing. "Mel?" he asked uncertain, not believing she'd walk around topless, but it looked like her. Peering once more, he noticed how she just stood in front of him not moving, at least not until he moved his hand to cover his eyes. If anything she looked different - not as well developed as he remembered. She looked gawky, stringy, with slimmer if not smaller-looking arms and legs. Her waist appeared straighter, less narrow from the slimmer version he'd seen from practices. Even her butt looked smaller, not fully filling out her bottom. She shook her head as he did, when stray stands of hair fell into view causing him to look downward. It was when he noticed the protrusion of two small cones of flesh extending from his chest. Staring at them, transfixed, something seemed to catch in his throat, trying to escape. Slowly, he raised a hand to examine what shouldn't be there, wanting to touch them, to verify their very existence. He almost fainted when he noticed how slim his arms had become. Gone were his firm muscles he had developed as he practiced football. In their place, slender arms moved before him, smooth with fine downy hair. Shocked at what he was seeing, he touched the sensitive nubs of flesh on his chest with fingernails painted a deep emerald shade of green.

He looked back up, afraid to look down further, scared at finding or rather not finding what should have been down since he'd been born. Looking back at the girl standing before him she continued to mimic his movements. He watched the slender fingers press against her cheeks as the air that had been caught in his throat streamed forth as a shrill noise filled the room; her eyes filled with the terror he felt. Higher in volume than his own, he saw the cute face mimic the scream he knew was rushing forth from his very lips.

Anya hurried inside the men's locker room, too late she knew, having sensed who had entered the showers. How could she or Grandmother have overlooked this, she wondered.

With the changes nearly finishing, Brad continued to scream, hyperventilating when he saw the dark-haired woman enter. She carried a look of alarm at what she saw. "Move away from the door, Brad," Anya directed in a gentle and soothing voice as she took hold of him. She waited for the transformation to complete.

"What's happened to me," he began, only to stop once he heard the soft alto voice once more. His eyes widened slightly more, and his expression grew more panic-stricken, reflecting his confusion by what had transpired.

Becoming hysterical, he looked at the woman with scared eyes. "What's happened to me? Why do I look like her?" Brad sputtered as he pointed a slender finger to his reflection.

Anya sighed, resigned to the situation. Brad was going to be difficult. Closing her eyes she uttered a few unintelligible words with her fingers moving in tandem to the incantation. Almost immediately, Brad began to grow calmer. Then with a flick of her wrist Anya produced, from thin air, a matching top for his outfit. "Put this on," she said, handing Brad the tankini top.

Brad was repulsed and scared as he looked at the top with the same fear one felt were a snake to strike when startled.

Sighing, Anya helped the disoriented boy secure the garment. "I can't have you running topless in Grandmother's park, now, can I?" she said, leading Brad over to the benches, where she gently pushed him down to sit.

"Why are you here?" Anya asked in a warm and friendly tone.

"I, I came to see a friend of mine, Melody," he squeaked in his higher-pitched voice. Strange he thought at how he was remarkably calm, considering how he'd just changed into a girl. "She stopped calling and answering my text messages and phone calls." Brad said. "I thought we were friends."

"First, young lady," Brad stared at Anya scared stiff at what she confirmed. "There was a reason she stopped. Second, it was by magic that you changed." Anya said. "Now let's start off with your name."

"Bridgett Luan Montgomery." With a surprised look at what he said, they changed to a dreamy affair when Anya performed a small incantation.

In a calm voice, Anya said, "That's right, your name is Bridgett, the same as if you'd been born a girl."

"I'm not a girl," Brad argued at first, only to change his mind, "no wait I am a – girl," Bridgett said. "Why am I a girl?" Bridgett asked, fighting the change, the acceptance.

"Our park is a refuge for girls to come and not worry about boys ogling over them. I know it's hard to understand, but there's a reason you look, to some extent, like Melody. Now listen carefully," she said, and her fingers continued to twirl as she worked on her next incantation.

************

Mel let out a girlish scream of laughter as she plunged feet first into the water. Exiting out of the Tahiti Twister, with its quick change from dark to light and sudden twist at the end with a drop-off into the water, always came as a surprise to her, no matter how many times she went on the ride. Wading out of the water, she brushed her hair back and noticed her friends Bobbie and Reba waving to her. "What's up?" Mel inquired when she approached the two.

Both girls gave her a strange look. "There's a girl wandering around the park," Bobbie blurted out. "She looks almost like you. It's creepy."

"That's not possible," Mel said. "I don't have a sister."

"That's what I thought when I first saw her," Reba said, tugging on Mel's arm. "Come on. I'll show you.

With Mel in tow the girls rushed over to Pele's Race, the last place Reba and Bobbie had seen the girl heading to. They looked around anxious, seeing no one, until Mel heard the happy shriek of a girl sliding to a stop. Mel gasped in surprise – what she thought she saw couldn't be! As she fought to regain her composure, Mel wondered if the others knew or suspected.

As she stood up from her ride, the girl noticed Mel staring at her. Both regarded each other, one older, the other younger.

"Hi," said the younger girl. "So it is true," she said examining the older girl as if they were in some cheap twins movie. The two gawked at their opposite, comparing the similarities between themselves. The new girl had the same auburn hair as Mel only longer, under-developed breasts, and a gangly appearance of one who was just entering her teenager years. As she stared, Mel imagined how this is what she might have looked if she'd actually grew up as a girl.

"What do you mean, true?" Mel asked cautiously. Carefully she studied the new girl for any sign indicating she might remember. Besides Reba and Bobbie, a few others were gathering at the sight of the two nearly-identical girls.

"Well … several girls older than me, came up asking for help diving or swimming. But I didn't know what they were talking about. They kept telling me to quit teasing them, and one called me Mel. That's when I figured they had me mixed up with someone else. I guess it was you." Bridgett noted. Her expression changed. "That's a pretty suit. I like blue and silver." From the way it fit Mel, Bridgett could see how it hugged her young curves, and with its higher cut on the sides, it gave her the appearance of having longer, shapelier legs. Her breasts were further developed than hers, filling out her top. Envious, Bridgett hoped she looked that good when she grew older.

"Mel, who is she?" Bobbie asked.

"I don't know," Mel said, as no female name came to her, but she _did_ knew who the girl had been as a boy."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm Bridgett," the girl said, extending her hand in introduction. The girls took turns shaking Bridgett's hand – except for Mel. She seemed a bit uneasy around the girl. Bridgett ignored Mel's snub, turning her attention to Bobbie. "You like Hello Kitties, too?" Bridgett asked, admiring the swimsuit Bobbie was wearing as they moved away from the small group. "I had a few, until I outgrew them. It looks really cute on you."

Bobbie couldn't help it when she blushed at the compliment. "Hey," Bridgette asked, "you want to ride the water rafts together? I couldn't earlier because I'm here by myself."

"Sure, I guess," came the responses.

"Great," Bridgett squealed with delight. The group walked eagerly towards the Wild Raft Luau as Bobbie and Reba asked questions about her, curious.

From the way she walked and talked, Mel didn't detect any of the usual signs in Bridgett that she'd come to recognize when someone remembered changing. From the way she acted, Mel was pretty certain that Bridgett didn't even remember being Brad. Mel breathed a sigh of relief. From the glances she received from her friends, she'd have to figure out how to explain the strange resemblance.

*************

Bridgett shrieked with delight when she splashed to a stop, needing to adjust her top, which had shifted from sliding down the Pipe Line. Fiddling with her back she could see Mel watching her warily, never really taking her eyes off of her. As she walked with the girls up the hill for another ride, she tried to wiggle her hips, imitating the way other girls tried to show off, and unexpectedly burst into a fit of giggles. There were times she couldn't help acting silly as she was growing from tween to teen. Outgoing and more robust than this other girl, her mother told her that she'd learn things like sexy walking as she grew up.

Most of the day the girls had hung out together, riding the slides and taking a break for lunch. Bridgett enjoyed her time with the other girls, spending their time laughing and giggling in the morning, even at lunch. Even Melody seemed to slowly warm up to her.

During lunch, several more girls joined the group, friends of Mel or Reba or another girl. And like earlier, both had endured the looks as they commented on the similarities between her and Mel. Bridgett talked with Reba about boys and clothes, while Mel barely said a word. Bobbie had even joined in the conversation with a few questions as they cracked jokes, grabbed a snack in mid-afternoon. Bridgett wanted to know what the others thought about boys as her interests grew in them, and she learned a few ways on how to gain their attention, giggling at what she heard.

Finally, with the day coming to an end, Bridgett headed over to the overflow showers with Mel opting to wait outside for her. The two had stayed longer than the other girls, who had already left with their father waiting outside the entrance. Upon exiting, Bridgett, wearing a very girly outfit of embroidered jeans, flowered sneakers and a purple pullover cap sleeved blouse, gushed with excitement as they headed towards park's exit. "That was the most fun I had in a long time, Mel. It was as if I had a sister again."

"What did you say?" Mel said when she heard the remark, her eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"I said, I wished I had a sister like you," Bridgett said, trying to recover from her slip.

From the way of her expression Bridgett could see Mel didn't believe her. "That's not what you said. You said if you'd had a sister again. What makes you think I'd even been your sister?" Soon the two were in a heated argument as people gathered around the bickering girls.

"You heard me, you're a coward!" Bridgett yelled. "You left us. Do you know what it's been like for me? I always felt like I was missing someone in my life." Bridgett's face flushed red with anger. "You deserted us! Left me and Mom alone! Where were you when Daddy left?"

Both girls squared off, facing each other as Bridgett continued her accusations. "Where were you when Daddy died? Why was it so important for you to leave? Not wanting to live with us, couldn't have your way so you left, is that it? You're nothing but a chicken-shit!" Bridgett spat her words at Mel.

"You take that back, Bridgett. I did what I had to do. You don't know what I've been through, what I caused!" Fury burned in Mel's eyes as her temper began to rise from Bridgett's inflammatory accusations.

"Daddy would never have approved. He would have thought of you as both a fraidy-cat and a coward."

Mel fought to control her rising anger, only to have the words hurt her, by Bridgett's implication of how their father would blame her. Just as she was about to burst with a retort a hand came out of nowhere and covered her mouth.

"That's enough, from the both of you." Lisa said, taking charge. She glanced at several of the other staff who'd come to help control the situation. "Leanna take the other girl over to the office while I talk with Mel." Quickly Lisa escorted the girl out of the park, away from others prying ears for privacy. Outside, Lisa could see the hurt in Mel's eyes even though her face displayed her anger.

Trying to sooth the hurt, "Mel, go home sweetheart. I know you're upset, but go home and we'll discuss it when I return. I promise sweetie." Without warning, Lisa found herself standing alone. Startled at Mel's sudden disappearance, she realized the extent on how upset Mel had to be when she used magic to disappear. Sighing, Lisa turned to walk to the office building.

Lisa listened to Anya's explanation on the mishap as Bridget waited inside the office building.

"Bridgett was fighting both her change and why she looked like Mel so I chose to cast a spell of compulsion on her, to force her to be who she was. I wasn't trying to hide it from her only to have it subconsciously buried deep within her once her pass expired."

Sighing, "No, I guess it wasn't your fault Anya. I understand you're still dealing with what Mel had caused. Still..." Lisa gathered Bridgett from the office having decided to drive Bridgett home, she wanted to have some words with the girl. This was a matter she needed to take care of.

Both climbed into Lisa's car in silence. "You're to stay away from her, understand?" Lisa said after a bit. Bridgett just stared out the window. "You're just as stubborn as she is."

"I'm not like her," Bridgett retorted, angry and hurt. "I wouldn't abandon my family like she did. Daddy said it was a sign of weakness to run away from your problems."

"That's enough, young lady." Lisa said firmly, not willing to put up with the tween's attitude. It was tough enough having to deal with one already. Especially one who could do magic. "You have no idea what Mel's been through, and you're lucky I arrived in time. Who knows what Mel would have done."

Frustrated, Bridgett crossed her arms across her chest, refusing to even look at the older woman. "Whatever."

Not caring about the tween's attitude Lisa drove the rest rest of the way in silence. Once Lisa pulled into the driveway, she turned to face the young girl, telling her as Bridgett started to exit the car. "Just stay away from her, Bridgett, or you may discover what it's like to be a girl far longer than a day. Understand!?"

Bridgett didn't say a word as she backed away, to retreat into the safety of her home, clearly frightened by the woman's threat.

'That could have gone better,' Lisa thought as she headed home once more, trying to ease her tension. She had overreacted, harsh even for her in her veiled threat. Now though she had to deal with another problem. Another teen's hurt. Possibly worse, her anger. Even with Mel having opened up more to her over the months, there were moments when Mel would take to answering in clipped sentences. A sure sign, Lisa had discovered with their living together, Mel wasn't ready to further discuss a matter or certain uncomfortable matters.

Stepping into the apartment Lisa braced herself as she came to expect the worse, only now she was greeted with silence. She had had half expected to hear Mel go into one of her tirades once she opened the door, only there was - nothing. The apartment was filled with and eerie silence. No music played or television on to be watched, not even the sounds of Mel tinkering with something in her room she had found interesting.

Just the ominous sound of nothing.

This wasn't what she had come to expect. Nor did she come to find herself engulfed in a tight embrace so suddenly. To have a body appear out of nowhere moving towards her with outstretched arms enveloping her, her face to smother herself deep into her chest. In near silence the pair made their way over to the couch, Lisa holding the very obvious distraught girl.

Separating momentarily, Lisa eased herself down into a comfortable sideways seated position, her legs positioned by her side, as Mel stretched her body on the couch beside her, resting her head in Lisa's lap, sobbing. Silently the two stayed there as Lisa gently and lovingly stroked the young girl's hair as small shoulders shook with periodic fits of crying. Every now and then Lisa took to rubbing the girls back, giving her a slight squeeze in comfort. She didn't say anything, just to let Mel lay there in her lap crying.

*************

Mel woke early Sunday, stretching. Her mind drifted to when she'd last talked to her brother weeks earlier. There had been no form of communication or contact between the two since their confrontation. Yet his words still stung. She padded softly to the bathroom not wanting to disturb Lisa who liked to sleep in a little longer than usual on Sundays. She experienced another of her feelings, and after finishing in the bathroom, quietly made her way to the kitchen, pausing to look in on Lisa, where the woman lay still asleep in her bed undisturbed. It was still early enough in the morning that the sun was starting to rise, slowly lighting up the apartment through the large sliding glass door opening onto the patio.

Quietly and still in her pajamas, Mel went about the kitchen to prepare breakfast, squeezing two glasses of fresh orange juice once having set the table, letting turkey bacon sizzle on the stove. She smelled the coffee brewing, having decided to slice up several pieces of ham, red and green peppers, half an onion, and tomatoes. She remembered fondly how her dad had showed her how to make western omelets when he was alive. Her memories of him were slowly hurting less and less with the passage of time.

Mel thought back to Saturday as she hummed a tune; it had been the usual busy day for her and Lisa at Bikini Beach. After morning class, Mel had helped Liz with demonstrations with a new group of kids, and then had helped with her swimming classes. Later, she hooked up with Reba and her friends to enjoy the tube rides and slides. After a couple of hours of fun with the girls, Mel left them in search of Lisa, to find her floating lazily along Old Man River. With an impish grin, Mel swam beneath the unawares woman, and flipped Lisa out of her tube, causing her foster mother to scream.

From one of the lifeguards vantage points, Liz watched the commotion as Lisa gave chase after the young scamp and then caught her. Liz couldn't help but laugh when Lisa dragged Mel under. She suspected the scamp had let her as she watched Lisa dunk the young girl playfully. Lately, she and several other staff members noticed how Mel appeared a little more outgoing and relaxed, barely displaying the haunted expression that usually clouded the young girl's face.

After leaving the pool, Lisa and Mel dried off, to stretch out in the sun, basking in its warmth, talking about whatever came to mind. Afterwards, the two enjoyed the Wave rider, with Mel wiping out quickly. Lisa, on the other hand, maneuvered around the sides, demonstrating an expertise of surfing few knew she'd mastered over the years. Mel couldn't help but cheer as Lisa showed up several young men – now girls - who'd thought they were hot stuff. Later in the afternoon, the two joined Kat, Reba and Bobbie for dinner, before finally driving home, exhausted. Despite her fatigue, Mel managed to spend a little time with her homework, so Lisa could check it. Finally, the weary girl trudged to bed.

Snuggled in the soft confines of her covers, Mel pulled her bear close as she drifted off to sleep content. She'd barely heard Lisa call to her, "Good night, sweetie," before the door closed, with a bright smile on Lisa's face. Months had passed since she'd come to live with Lisa, and even though they had a few tense moments and arguments, the two had managed to overcome them.

"Mmm, something smells good," Lisa commented, startling Mel from her memories. She'd awakened to the aroma of bacon and coffee. Covered in her lilac-colored robe, Lisa squeezed the girl in a morning hug, "What's the special occasion? Or are you just in one of your moods?"

"Nothing. I just thought I'd do something special for you," Mel commented.

"You want something don't you?" Lisa teased. "I saw you looking over that old mini bike the Barkers were selling." Lisa surmised.

Mel just giggled. "I wouldn't mind tinkering with it M… Lisa, but I just wanted to do something nice for you."

"Um hum." Lisa pulled up a chair after pouring her morning cup of coffee.

Mel placed one omelet in front of Lisa, and then put the other one in her own place before taking her chair. Nibbling at her food, Mel rested her head on folded hands staring at Lisa.

"Okay, now I know something's up." Lisa said, putting down her fork, having watched the young girl barely touch her food. "What's on your mind?"

"Just wondering," Mel said with that faraway look of hers. "Why you allowed me to visit Brad knowing what I did before."

"Your need to know that he was okay, his desire to still play football, I suppose. It's what you wanted after all."

"Yeah," Mel said, a tinge of sadness in her voice. "I wished it could have worked out better after the change. But I wonder if it could work now," even when she remembered the acrimony of the fight she and Brad had had. Scooting back her chair, Mel went outside on the back patio breathing in the fresh morning air.

"You're thinking of wanting to go back to them again." Lisa whispered, resting her hands on Mel's shoulders, suspecting Mel was thinking of returning once more to her family. Together they watched the morning sunrise. "To see if you can make it work out once more." Mel merely nodded. Once more she had the feeling of losing someone. To once more become a drop off for wayward kids in an emergency.

"I guess if that's what you want," Lisa said, her voice betraying a bit of the hurt she felt, lifting her hands, allowing her fingers to linger a tad longer. "It's not as if I can stop you." She had a longing desire that had basked in her heart since Mel had became her ward. A question she had wanted to ask. That was till now.

Mel listened to the chirping of birds as she stood thinking about her past and what she had lost. How far her life had changed from her old one.

In a quiet voice, "But I can't, not ever. They're just not my family. My family's gone, changed just like I am. Sometimes I wish I could forget everything and just be a normal girl, with a normal family, not able to do magic, not afraid I'd hurt someone I love."

Mel sensed that Lisa was still standing behind her as she spoke out loud the question that had been playing on her mind for some time. With some apprehension and in a meek voice, "Lisa, would you want me? I mean, really want me … knowing what I can do. What I've done. I mean, not as my foster mother, but as … your daughter … my … my forever mom?"

No reply came as she heard only silence. Mel thought of the pain and hurt she'd caused the woman, the outbursts she'd made. She imagined with her troubled past she would be too much of a burden to Lisa and her heart sank with the idea she'd been rejected, to be unwanted.

Dejected she turned to find Lisa still standing behind her, fingers trembling on her lips, eyes misting, shocked with what Mel had come to ask her, not what she had expected.

Mel's own tears welled up once more. Mel didn't need to hear the answer, she already knew. It was time to let go of her past, to move forward.

Reaching out, Lisa pulled Mel close, embracing her tightly as Mel just muttered, "Stupid hormones, making me cry so much."

Mel looked up at Lisa, "Is it okay to … can I uh, can I call you … you know."

"I only dreamed of a day when I'd actually hear it Melody," Lisa said, referring to Mel by her full name, her voice cracking. "I never believed one would come, thinking it would never be possible."

"I guess we'd both better get used to it," Mel said, hugging Lisa tighter not wanting to let her or the moment go, Mel's own voice quivering, "Mom!"

*************

Lisa worked her way down the rows of racks, past the girls' dresses, skirts, and blouses hanging on display, toward where the girls' jeans were carried. Several times, she'd pause, just for a moment, when a dress caught her eye, only to continue to her pre-selected destination. Trailing behind her, Mel stopped to look over the selection of polo shirts and tops, her favorite things to wear. During the past few weeks, their lives became a whirlwind of activity as they spent many hours talking with counselors, dealing with unannounced home inspections by an unruly social worker, and meeting frequently with Mrs. Delany from the orphanage. Lisa suspected Mel was using a little magic, only she didn't question the girl when Mrs. Delany accepted her application, without question, and to the surprise of her secretary, to allow the process of Lisa becoming Mel's "forever mom" go forward.

Selecting a few shirts, Mel had noticed how her mom had paused from time to time. Having started to outgrow her jeans, she'd also noticed that her shirts were fitting a bit snugger. Mel sighed to herself; she wasn't growing much in height any longer, now she was starting to slowly fill out curves, and needed to buy new clothes to fit her changing shape. She wanted to look nice for their appearance before the judge, to finalize the adoption, hopefully, and change her last name, which she'd managed to tolerate, barely, from the teasing she had to endure from the other kids.

Stopping along the racks, Mel looked over several selections. Grabbing a few, Mel scooted past her mother, who was busy looking through the jeans selection. "I'll be in the fitting room, Mom," she called out before pulling a curtain closed.

Lisa pulled a few pairs of jeans of various sizes and designs for Mel to try on. "Mel?" Lisa called, stepping toward the changing room.

"C'mon, stupid zipper," Lisa heard Mel's voice from behind one of the drawn curtains. Stepping inside to help, Lisa found Mel in a state of distress. Her clothes were placed on the inside bench, and Mel was desperately reaching behind herself, trying to pull up the zipper which had snagged on her bra. Both froze, staring at each other not sure how to proceed. Lisa startled to find Mel in a dress, as Mel looked wide eyed with being caught.

Calmly, without saying a word, Lisa placed the jeans she'd selected down and stepped behind Mel, unhooking her bra from behind. "Slip your arms out Mel," Lisa said gently. "This dress has built in support, so there's no need to wear one."

Lisa tried to act normal, like there was nothing amiss, since Mel had been the one who had decided to try on the dress. Once removed, Lisa zipped up the back. "Not this one," Lisa said after she examined Mel.

"What's wrong with it?" Mel asked. She hated to admit it, but the dress did look nice.

Turning the girl toward the mirror, Lisa pointed to the hem. "Don't you think it's a little short, Mel? I would think you'd want a little bit more modesty." Mel saw what Lisa was telling her. Although nice, the hem of the dress only extended down a third of the way from the top of her thighs. If she was to lean over, all would have a good view of her rear.

Having Mel step out of the dress Lisa took stock of the selection Mel had taken into the booth. Calmly, Lisa took another and pressed it against the girl, framing her. Still she didn't ask why, only commenting, "Nice, but too small," Lisa said noting the size. Then another. "Doesn't match your hair or eyes," setting it aside as she reached for another one. "Why don't you try on the jeans, and I'll be right back," leaving the bemused girl alone momentarily.

Mel sat on the bench, ignoring the clothes, pondering what to do, while Lisa went through the racks, thinking and selecting a few different styles of dresses, having noted the size of the one that had fit Mel earlier. She selected one with a black top and white skirt, hoping the measurement was right, unsure of her size, due to Mel's steadfast refusal to even contemplate, let alone wear, a dress.

Opening the curtain with her selections, Lisa saw Mel nervously waiting, a little fearful but also curious. Lisa tried not being judgmental, "You have your reasons, Mel."

"I was thinking," Mel said, her voice jittery from worry. "I thought, you know, it would be better if I was dressed better than jeans," she stammered. "I would look better, I mean, when we go to court."

"It would help," Lisa conceded, again trying to keep her voice neutral.

Mel nervously slipped on a blue sleeveless dress with a white crocket skirt once Lisa handed it to her. Having stepped behind, Lisa zipped up the back, preventing Mel from facing the mirror. Turning Mel just enough to her left and right, Lisa adjusted the dress to have an idea of how well the dress fit. Once satisfied, she finally allowed the girl to look in the mirror. "Tell me, what do you think?"

It was in the orphanage Mel had been forced to wear a skirt, drab as it was. Now, having viewed herself, the effect was clearly noticeable. She looked cute…, pretty even she admitted to herself. Her lip quivered and her eyes seemed to go wider. "Girly," Mel muttered quietly.

"Do you know what I think?" Mel shook her head side to side, afraid, feeling guilty, causing the dress to sway just a little. "I see a girl who's wanting, trying to please her mother," Lisa said with an appreciative smile. "Putting on a brave face, afraid she's going to be changed into someone she's not. But she isn't. Do you know why?"

Once more Mel shook her head 'no.'

"Because her mother's not going to let her be someone she's not."

Later, seated in a restaurant, the two enjoyed a meal, chatting and taking a break from shopping; their selection of clothes placed next to them, "You know, there's more than just buying a dress," Lisa said, touching on the sensitive subject.

"I know, Mom." Mel caught the surprised look in hearing her admission. "I, um, I've been watching Reba and the other girls. You know, like how they dress." Mel confessed. "I just listen quietly when they talk about boys, clothes, make-up and other things. I'm going to need new shoes and some accessories." She admitted. "I don't know about getting my ears pierced, though."

"Well there is that, but you may want to consider having your nails done and maybe a little make-up - not that you need much. Perhaps even your hair styled just a bit." Lisa waited for Mel's reaction. "I know a place that we can both go, if you want, to get a pedicure and facial done at least."

"A mother-daughter thing?"

Lisa nodded her head slowly.

"I'd like that, but nothing too girly," Mel reiterated quietly.

"I wouldn't dream of it, Mel," Lisa said, pleased how Mel was willing to give in a little to appease her. For her part, Lisa knew that, no matter how much she liked it, she couldn't push Mel to change though.

Afterwards Mel admitted she found the spa enjoyable, even willing to endure the painful process of having her eyebrows done. At Lisa's discretion, they were plucked and shaped just enough to give her face a nicer appearance. Mel even found it fun, if not interesting, as she listened to her new mom talk more about her brothers and dad as they had their facial, manicure, and pedicure. All in all Mel was learning more about her new mother and how she grew up.

************

Wearing her first pair of high heels, Mel had been practicing in the living room, trying to keep her balance, not to fall. With the two inch heels, Mel could feel and see the difference in height as she tried to strut around the apartment. Pausing momentarily, Mel studied her fingernails with their clear coat of polish. "Uh, Mom? Vicky and Holly have been asking me to go to one of Anya's support group meetings. She's having one about a week from now. Do you think I should go? They said it's for those that want to discuss about being a girl and ... I'm not sure if I should, but they've been bugging me, kinda pushing it these past couple weeks. They both said they would be there if I went."

"What do they expect from you?" Lisa asked, mindful of Mel's reluctance to speak to a group of strangers. Earlier, she had tried not to laugh, amused as Mel stumbled around in the heels, trying desperately to please her, only to be awkward and clumsy in her attempt. Now, from the way she was fidgeting, fiddling with her fingers, Lisa could see how nervous Mel was.

"I dunno, guess to just introduce myself and listen. Nothing more."

Lisa wrapped her arms around her daughter's waist. Both had learned about the meetings when Anya asked during Mel's punishment phase, requiring the extra help to clean up afterwards. "What do you want to do baby? Do you want to go and talk with them? Perhaps about your family maybe? Talk about your brother? I know you still miss him."

"Yeah, maybe I'll do that," Mel said softly, her demeanor suddenly somber. Silently Mel removed herself from the embrace, took off her shoes, and headed to her room, closing the door softly behind her. Unintentionally, Lisa realized the mistake to late. She waited a minute before approaching the door. Once ready to knock, she backed away, having listened to the sobs of the young girl crying on the other side.

Leaving her daughter to herself, Lisa headed to her own room, quietly closing the door behind her. She speed dialed the number on her cell. "Grandmother? I know it's asking a lot, but I could really use your 'insight'," Lisa said, only to have a look of surprise cross her face. "You were expecting my call? Later this evening!? Yes, that would be fine."

The following day, alone, Lisa pressed the doorbell and waited, having heard and discussed what Grandmother had told her. The young boy looked astonished, almost fearful, to find her standing there when he answered the door. "Brad, I need to talk with you," she requested. When he nodded uncertainly, she stepped inside. She hoped they were making the right decision, not just for Melody's sake, but for Brad, too, as Grandmothers vision involved him personally.

*************

With everyone gathered around the fire, Mel looked at Brad with the saddest of expressions. "I can't go back home, Brad, as much as I know you want me to. I loved mom once, but she's not my mom anymore. And while I'm glad you’re back and enjoy our times together –sometimes, you're both just not my family. Mine is gone – forever. I'll always have pleasant memories of both of you, but I can't ever forget the painful ones. I'm sorry."

They listened, sitting still, transfixed, not moving, as Mel admitted, guilty, "I tried to force Miss Anya to end my life that day. Only she managed to stop what I wanted and make me an orphan instead. Afterwards, at the orphanage, I got curious on how the magic kept me in the family. With this Melody's records sealed by law, I used my own magic to find out what happened. I wanted to know."

Fidgeting, "I found your mom and dad weren't married yet when I was born, unlike my life. Dad didn't know she was pregnant, and she was afraid of what it would mean to his career if they found out. High ranking officers frown on some actions, and it could have ended his career. Besides, she thought he would marry her out of obligation and not love. So while he was on an extended deployment, this Melody was born and placed up for adoption."

Mel stood by the fire, poking at the embers with her stick, as the others heard, startled yet unmoving by the revelation. "Melody's adoptive parents, the Mudds, drifted around, from what I understand, and ended up here. But something happened to them, and she was placed in an orphanage years ago. I really don't give a crap why. I'm not her, I'm me, and I'm with someone I want to be with now. I know it's selfish but -" Mel tossed the stick she used for marshmallows into the fire, watching the sparks rise into the dark sky to wink out like fireflies in the night. "I learned I'm the one responsibility for my actions when I use magic. Mom, Miss Anya and Grandmother have taught me that. Except there are days when I do use it, like now, and it just plain sucks. I'm sorry. _Ten minutes_ after I'm gone, then you can move."

Having finished, Mel left them sitting there, to disappear into the moonlit night, her desire overcoming her in her want to be alone, overpowering her as she headed towards the lake.

"What just happened?" Brad and the rest asked several minutes later, shocked at hearing what Mel had told them. All, but one were astonished at what Mel had done.

"Mel did it," Lisa answered. "I'm not surprised that she did. I knew how painful it would be to tell her story. Give her some time to collect her thoughts."

Alarmed by Mel's actions, Keith questioned. "Do you trust her? I mean, she used her magic on someone else to obtain answers."

"Keith, please remember this was why we came here and most of us knew it wasn't going to be easy for her. As hard as it seems I knew some, if not most of what she did," Lisa answered. "The two of us discussed why she wanted to do it."

"So that's why Mom doesn't want to come to the park. Mel made her not want to go?" Brad asked.

"No, Brad," Lisa said. "Mel used her magic under supervision to know her past, nothing more. Grandmother said we'd have to trust and guide Mel, because nobody can really stop her if she chooses to use magic. It's how she uses the magic, not when. Besides, she can't say who's allowed at the park, only Anya and Grandmother can."

Lisa stretched like the others. "It was Grandmother's idea to have Anya accompany us and it was Anya who placed a compulsion on your mom to keep her away. To protect her. Mel's too angry, too hurt inside still, at what happened between the two of them. She'll never forgive Nathan for what he had done to her family, and how deeply he made your mom hurt her when she was under Nathan's influence."

"I hoped she'd come back," Brad said, wistfully. "I wanted us to be a family again."

Hugging the boy, "I know Brad and she does love you, and despite the pain, your mother to a small degree." Lisa said gently. "She's very proud of how you help your mother. In her eyes, you're still her brother, just not 'her' brother. It's why she enjoys your visits as Bridgett. It lessens the hurt when she sees you. Her memory of events are still too fresh for her to deal with. She's learned to control it –most of the time."

"Survivors guilt," Keith and Holly speculated. "Even with Brad and his mother back, Mel's not ready to face her mother, unable to forget the pain even if it wasn't Elaine's fault. Mel blames herself still for what happened to her family in both incidents." Keith said.

"I never imagined how much she misses her family," Holly said stretching. "Nathan really did come off easy for the hurt he's caused."

Rob hugged Vicky closer to him. "Were we in the right in having her talk about it? She seemed to have put it behind her somehow. Did we do the right thing by pushing her to tell us?"

"Look around with who's here." Lisa said. "All she wants are friends she can trust, to understand what she can do. She wants and needs friends who aren't afraid of her. Admittedly she's made mistakes and its cost her." Gesturing to Reba, Brad and Bobby, "Like other kids, she has the same wants and needs growing up, but knows she'll be treated different once found out, and it scares her."

"Aren't you afraid Lisa?" Keith asked. "She used magic on us, on you."

Lisa laughed a light hearted laugh. "Yes Keith I admit at times I am. You heard how I've experienced some of what Mel can do, and we've all experienced some form of what magic could do. I've watched Mel practice magic at home and it might scare you. As both Vicky and Holly said, Mel's a good kid, just hurt very deeply. Mel meant no harm to us and I've learned to be more patient, understanding, and stern with her."

Lisa clasped hold of her friends hands. "I was worried when Mel first returned to the park that day. Worried her anger would take control given the punishment imposed by Grandmother. Afraid she'd be pushed too far. She's smart and managed to overcome it. Admitting what she did was wrong was a major step for her, before it was too late with Grandmothers and Anya's help. If Mel really didn't want to talk we wouldn't even be having this discussion."

************

Standing on the dock, Mel felt their presence as they approached, heard the soft footsteps as boards creaked under their weight. She stared longingly out into the water, the moon light glistening on the water in the night sky.

"You wondered why we stayed as girls," one voice said. "For me it was love Mel. Like you, I did it for love. We changed," Vicky answered, wrapping her arms around the girl. "I found that I liked being with Rob, and he didn't care that I'd once been a boy. He accepted me for who I am."

"You're lucky." Mel said bitterly, her arms crossed in front of her. She shivered slightly in the cool night. "I'm scared, Vicky. I'm different."

Vicky heard the uncertainty in Mel's voice, the slight tremble. "Scared that I could hurt my friends, or that I might change, or want to have babies, to give up the things I like to do."

"Yes, Mel you are different," Vicky agreed with the girl, "and it's okay to be scared. Many things in life can be scary. But that doesn't mean that you have to give up being who you are inside. You're a stubborn girl, Mel. It's helped you survive. It'll help you stay true to yourself."

Vicky pulled the girl close, "All these months we worried about you, and we still do, but Lisa more than anyone. She loves you very much and cares about you as much as we all do. I'm glad you're turning to her."

"I guess this is good-bye, isn't it," Mel said sadly. "I going to lose you, too."

"Why would you think such a thing?" an astonished Vicky asked. "Just because I'm getting married doesn't mean I'll give up my friends." She turned Mel to face her. "You and I have been though a lot in our lives, Mel. Holly and I have accepted who we are, and so are you. Besides, I want to see our tomboy dressed like the other bridesmaids, all dressed up and looking so pretty."

"That's not fair," Mel scowled at the thought of having to dress up all feminine, only to find she wasn't really complaining.

Holly approached her, "Mel, we each have our own reasons for choosing. Unlike others who couldn't, I accepted being a girl even when given the chance to change back. I found I really enjoy it. Of course, there are a few things I'd wouldn't mind missing." Mel smiled in understanding. "My old friend Hank was a little shallow, directionless, going with the crowd. I learned that I could depend upon myself. Besides, if I did change back, think of all my very close friends I'd lose," Holly said looking at the both of them.

"Mel, we're sorry if we pushed you into this. Can you forgive us?" Vicky asked.

"What's to forgive, Vicky? It hurts knowing what I did, but I decided to tell you about it like everyone wanted."

"Mel if you ever" – Holly said only to have Mel cut her off.

"Maybe I will, Holly. Just not now. One day later, okay?" Mel said to Holly's amazement.

"When you're ready," Holly agreed delighted. "Just the two of us, over a shake, friend to friend confidentially, unless you'd like another friend or your mom to join us."

"I'd like that," Mel said accepting the offer. It wouldn't be easy for her. It was hard to trust others. Even her friends, due to the hurt.

Turning to face the rest, Mel saw the other kids waiting in the moonlight, afraid of what would happen now, knowing they knew the truth. She had shared some very deep secrets.

The three talked quietly amongst each other, pausing when Mel approached. "Are we still friends?" Mel asked, afraid they wouldn't accept her having heard what she had done previously, worse who she was now.

She wanted to fit in somehow, to be accepted. Terrified to lose the friends who only months ago knew nothing of what happened. "We're BF's right? Reba asked, and hugged her tightly, "I've never had a friend who could do magic before."

Standing there Brad was unsure of what he felt, before he decided to reach out and join Reba and Mel in their hug. "You're still my sister," Brad said. "No matter what, I'll always think of you as my sister."

"Yeah, can't be your brother anymore can I." Mel joked in a hushed tone, "Only I'm not changing, much."

Mel looked at Bobby, "Well?"

"You're still a girl and girls are yucky," Bobby answered before turning to run back up to the cabin.

"Oh yeah!" Mel yelled having broke free of her friends to give chase, "wait until you go to the park for your next swimming lesson, then tell me that." She was quickly followed by the other two, leaving Vicky and Holly standing there laughing. As they headed once more to the campfire to warm themselves, Vicky and Holly understood Mel was adapting, beginning to accept her new life with her friends help.

************

The courtroom was quiet as the judge reviewed the docket before him. This was a very routine case - the adoption of an orphan. The only difference was instead of a more traditional family, there was a single woman seeking both custody and a name change requested by the teenage girl in question. Such a thing was not unheard of, in the state, but it was unusual.

Dressed in her black and white dress, one inch black heels with a small bow on the toes, and her auburn hair fixed in place with a barrette to keep her hair out of her eyes, Melody waited anxiously as the judge looked over the papers before him. Several times he looked over the rim of his glasses. "You're aware this is nothing to be trifled with? If granted, there will be no turning back, young lady?"

"Yes, your Honor," Mel said, trying hard to sound confident and respectful, yet a hint of nervousness came through. Behind her, several people waited in the gallery, her friends attending to listen for his decision. One woman more important to her then the others waited, seated next to their lawyer, anxiously watching the proceeding with bated breath for various reasons.

"Tell me, Melody, why do you think I should grant this request to live with Miss Covington? To make her, as you kids say, your forever mom."

Mel looked at the judge, tempted to make him agree, to just suggest that it's what he wanted to do. But her mother wouldn't approve, nor her friends. "Your Honor," Mel said respectfully, with a little tremble in her voice, "I've lived with Mom," she correct herself quickly when she saw the disapproving stare, "I mean Miss Covington, for several months. We've both had problems adjusting – I guess like any family - and we overcame them. She's made sure I do my share of the chores and my homework. She's watched and helped me go from being the timid, shy girl I was at the orphanage to a little more outgoing girl. My friends have seen a big difference in me since I've stayed with her. She's kind, fair, and strict when I do something wrong." Looking back over her shoulder, quickly, Mel gave a look of sheer adoration and love at the woman. "She's put up with my outbursts at a most difficult time in my life, where I think others wouldn't have understood. She knows more about me than any other person I know, except maybe my friends Vicky and Holly."

"I see," the judge said adjusting his glasses, going through the papers once more before picking up his gavel. Looking around the courtroom, he cleared his throat, ready, and signaled with his gavel for Lisa to rise and stand next to the girl. Turning his attention to the couple, "As you are aware, Miss Covington, allowing one to adopt a child is, to me, serious business. Placing a child in the wrong family can have a detrimental effect on the child."

"Yes your Honor. I'm fully aware that taking care of a child carries a lot of responsibilities." Her own voice echoed the nervousness she felt.

"Good." The judge nodded to her. "So it is hereby the judgment of the court that the motion of the adoption of Melody Kay Mudd be granted. From this day forward, you, Lisa Joan Covington, are hereby granted full custody of one Melody Kay Mudd." Lisa and Mel hugged each other in a tight embrace as soon as the judge proclaimed his decision. Both relieved at the outcome.

Clearing his voice for emphasis "Furthermore, the request for you, Melody," he continued, "to be known as Melody Kay Covington is also hereby granted forthwith ," he proclaimed, slamming his gavel down hard as a signal of finality to the proceedings. Smiling as the two embraced, he added, "I so enjoy when a family comes together. Allow me to be the first to congratulate the two of you, and the best of luck." Behind them the two heard the congratulations and clapping as their friends came forward to encircle the two.

*************

Gathered inside their apartment for their celebration, Mel dished out another bowl of homemade ice cream before passing it to Natty, while the other kids crowded around her, eagerly waiting their turn. Food had been prepared and laid out for their friends and co-workers who mingled inside the apartment talking and partaking in the celebration.

Grandmother approached Lisa. "Congratulations, Lisa," she said, giving her a warm hug. "You're doing a wonderful job."

"Is this coming from my Boss, or as a mother?" Lisa quipped.

"A little of both if you will," Grandmother said, dipping her spoon into the ice-cream. She looked at Mel. "One day, we'll need to have another talk. Let her grow more comfortable in her acceptance."

"It's what you said to me years ago Grandmother. How you said one day I'd have that someone special in my life. The trouble I'd have to go through to get her." Gazing at her now daughter. "Even with all her troubles I still wanted her. I couldn't give up.

It's also what Keith said to me Grandmother. Who was more important. And I wanted the Melody I remembered. I really do want her for who she is."

Grandmother smiled in understanding, "If it wasn't for your determination, I think we would have lost her. Now, where did she get this recipe," savoring the unusual taste.

"She won't really say, but I suspect it's a family secret."

Brad took another spoonful of his ice-cream, when recognition of where he had tasted it before came over him. It had been years since he'd tasted that particular flavor. His father was the only one who knew how to make it. He walked over to his sister. "How did you know?"

Mel smiled mysteriously. "I wanted it to be a surprise. He only made it on special occasions - and this is definitely one. I just happened to help when he made it. Nobody but him knew the recipe."

"Will you show me?" Brad asked taking another bite.

"I'll teach you," Mel said smiling. She put a container in the fridge for him to take home to his mother then personally took a dish over to Anya.

A smile creased Anya's face when a small voice came to her, "You didn't give up on me. Why?"

Smiling Anya replied telepathically. "I didn't think anyone so evil would be willing to sacrifice herself to save her family," came the reply. No others heard the exchange, except for perhaps one other when a smile crept across hers also. She was learning.

*************

Fini

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to those that have looked over the story and have given constructive advice. My many thanks.

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow...

Such a brilliant story, I had to go back and read runaway and everything till I finished this. Just... so much.. wow. Both of you have done masterful work with this one mew. I'm utterly flush with feelings over it. This was so amazing I'm so blown away by both your skill. Thank you both so much for this absolute treasure mew.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Another masterpiece

I was blown away by this story. I do hope that Mel will find piece and accept her gender at some future point , but then life isn't always fair or straightforward. Thank you both for another truly outstanding story.

Joanna

Who's to say.

Mel has accepted that she is a young girl. She's still growing, like a lot of young girls, trying to find herself in other ways. Her's is just a bit tougher.

Despite the setup for Melody's character

Somehow I just can't get myself to feel wholly behind her. Yes she is a child but a child given an atomic weapon before she is even reasonably able to master it and discipline to wield it.

She has a tragic past no doubt and it has definitely not been one of her own making but this is still one instance where it seems to me where wiping out her existence might have been the better thing to do as I still do not come away feeling she can ever be unconditionally trusted to wield her unwanted power responsibly. And if I were grandmother and Anya I would continue to watch my back and ward themselves and the park from all the powers of that pendant, including the 'forgetting' part. One would think the water park being Grandmother's demesne that she would be able to control what magic gets wielded there.

Oh, and if fate were kind, hopefully David's old sexual orientation had not changed.

If

Yes Mel's past was tragic but its no more tragic than others have really had out there. The only difference is that Mel can do magic.

As for Grandmother and Anya guarding themselves and the park by not trusting her then why would Grandmother allow her to still come. Why would Grandmother even help Lisa? Why would Lisa put her own life, yes life, at risk?

I could have possibly taken it to extremes as in the classic Twilight Zone "It's a good life" but I didn't. There the boy was totally rotten and he hadn't even entered puberty.

Nor do I think Anya would have allowed herself to give in to what Mel 'thought' she wanted. One its not who Anya is. To me. Nor Grandmother.

That's a strange analogy you used given that we as the developing country didn't fully understand the atomic weapons capabilities. Look how many we tested to learn more over the years. But I'm not here to debate that. I think Grandmother and Anya have a better understanding of magic than Mel did and each was willing to risk something to help Mel.

As for power. What is power? Yes, Mel, can weld a lot of power. If she chooses. But so can Anya or Grandmother. Then there are the others without magic who claim to have power over others. Look at Ronnie Harris both before and after.

Mel knows what power can do, both right and wrong. It's up to her on how she uses it just like any other magic welding person. For who controls those that have magic.

Besides, if Mel didn't exist you wouldn't be reading her story now. Would you.

As I suspected it was

gpoetx's picture

As I suspected it was brilliant. I will admit though I'll be going back to not only your other stories but I believe a couple of Elrod's as well to make sure every nuance is caught, since I saw several I remember. So I have this tiny little thought in my head... I may be completely in left field but I think I know something about future events to come regarding Melody Anya and grandmother...

The mother

Is there going to be closure for David's Mother? I just feel that she got the worst outcome of anyone in the story. She's had a net loss of good things in her life from the get go and seems worse off.

So please, let something good happen to her. She doesn't need to deal with Melody. She just needs something to improve her lot in life.

(•_•)

Internet High Fives All Around
Stardraigh

( •_•)>⌐■-■

My Deviantart

(⌐■_■)

I didn't really get that

I got that Elaine was one of those people that tries to make everyone a certain way. She hates not having control which is why she refused to let Mel become a Tomboy. And she was willing to just up and sacrifice Brad to be a girl without even thinking about how he'd feel.

She refused to listen to her children, and generally ignored anything they say.

I see her as a bit of a control freak. And so she received her just rewards. Melody was raped and she didn't report it, she was more concerned about other things.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Mels fault also

I would say it was a bit more of Mels fault. Her unwillingness to give in. Which would be understandable given what she's been through.

The problem, as I see it, is that Mel moved to quickly in wanting to establish her own identity. She was informed not to tell them about her magic and such as it would cause problems. If Mel moved slower than perhaps it may have worked out. That and she couldn't talk about her past. It would have lead to more complications.

I still cannot blame the mother, sorry. Elaine actually did wait and put up with some of Mel's changes. And the rape was reported. It was just kept quiet by the military that knew Mel's father as a favor. Recheck Jozef's findings. And Elaine did seek help for her daughter, else there would have been no previous psychiatric report.

In a world of fast moving information and people being nosy, Elaine liked to keep her family life private.

Mel also could have used her magic to find out more about who Melody was. I just didn't go that route. Remember Mel even fought Lisa who thought she was doing something right. She just assumed that Mel would wear skirts since she wore them at the orphanage.

I could have made the story longer in some areas but I chose not to. I think that was a mistake on my part.

Technically

Technically speaking, the only closure she would have, would be the loss of her husband. She has no recollection of her daughter or even her name as she would not have given her one. Although I'm sure it has crossed her mind about how her daughter would be doing. Yes, I'm sure she had heartache at giving up her daughter, as do a lot of women, but what can she do? She does have Brad also. One day I'm sure she'll tell him about the loss but not now.

I know everyone wants and likes a happy ending for all but not everyone can have that else we would have no problems in the world and everyone would be happy.

I would not say that she didn't have a net loss of good things. If I put it in perspectives Mel helped her out a great deal. Yes, she lost a daughter in the second half, and a son in the first half, but she had also lost her own way of life by being turned into a prostitute. Her life would have been shorter given what Nathan had done to her and he would not have cared. In the second half she came close to loosing her free will again along with Brad. Mel chose a harder path for the better of the two. Mel still loved her mom in her own way and was willing to die to free them of what could have happened.

Another husband, another child. No not at the moment as she would still be grieving for her own loss.

Perhaps one day, if I am so inclined, I may write a story. But I wouldn't expect sudden riches or fame. That I'm afraid is not my way. It's become to much of a cliche to do these and others and I feel cheapens the story when over used. Its to much of an easy road out of a situation.

Ibi

Good to see a little stability in Mel's life

I think as human beings we sometimes have to find someone or something to blame. However, that being said it was good to see Mel start to come to terms with things though I feel she has a long way to go yet. None of my immediate family are or were in the military but one of my cousins fought in the Iraq war he lost the use of his legs due to a LED bomb or whatever its called. One of his platoon was killed he actually sat next to my cousin in the car his father, my uncle survived the Vietnam war. Both suffer from survivors guilt which I believe is a form of PTSD.

The reason I say this is first to say that I do understand a little about the horrors you have tried to convey in this story. Mel/David has been fighting his/her own private war against Nathan for some time it's interesting how much influence others can have especially family and friends. And I think the fact that the world is far from a perfect place so very often there is no happy ending in real life. We have to cope with the hand we've been dealt.

Mel was willing to sacrifice her own life for her family perhaps you could say in a similar way her Father had done. I don't think there is no greater love than someone willing to give up their own life for those they love so like her Father Mel could also be classed as a hero, just my own thoughts. Now I think she has in some ways the best of both world to a point. She's still in contact with her Mom and her brother although technically they're not related, or are they? She has an adopted Mom who cares for her and although I'm pretty sure it'll be a stormy relationship at times she has friends and someone to help guide her through life with her magic. I'm sure there will still be a lot more about Mel in the Future, thank you for an enjoyable story.

Cheryl

Yes Mel is still family

Yes Mel is still related to both Brad and Elaine, by birth. Her mother, Elaine, had placed Mel up for adoption to the Mudds. What happened with the Mudds will most likely not be explained. I could use it for other purposes but I see no reason to.

I have a little more planned for Mel but its going to wait for a bit. I'm debating how long I wish to make it.

Thank you all for readying the story and your comments also.

Ibi

A Depressing Story

Daphne Xu's picture

This was overall quite a depressing story. I shouldn't complain, since I write disturbing stories myself. I admit to having a certain rebellious streak -- at least mentally. I haven't read the full sequence of David's stories, and I should at some point. This story does have a happy ending, at least.

*****

It's got to have been depressing, almost a betrayal even, for Mel to save her mother and brother, only to be required to do housework all the time -- not have free time for herself, or time for friends.

*****

I can imagine a possible alternative reaction to Grandmother's ultimatum that concludes with, "And just like a parent, she is to be held responsible for your actions."

Mel goes to the front door, prepared to exit and never return. Instead of changing her mind, she pauses at the door and says, "I'm sorry, I can't trust myself to adhere to the conditions 100% of the time. I refuse to subject Miss Lisa to the risk."

She opens the door. "I guess it's back to the orphanage." She steps through and closes it.

If she can, she might wait for the next bus back to town. Otherwise, she might begin a very long walk, perhaps planning to hitchhike. Maybe she teleports herself back.

This, of course, would make the story even more depressing.

Lisa may go out chasing her, and if she catches her in time, might tell her that those weren't the conditions for living with Lisa. Perhaps Grandmother teleports her to the orphanage to meet him there.

As it was, it required extraordinary self-discipline to adhere to the conditions. A moment's forgetfulness might cause a violation, and trying hard to focus on the conditions and not violating them would distract from the tasks at hand. I spotted one technical violation: where Mel decided to eat outside next to the staff hut instead of inside the staff lounge.

*****

Another problem I had was with advising Mel to "explain" to people who were picking on him. That's a fool's exercise, trying to explain something to bullies and tormenters. It sounds whiny, and is an open invitation to further torment. (There's a saying: "If you're explaining, you're losing.")

I might mention another story I read, where someone actually insisted upon the old-fashioned slogan, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." It's false, of course, but it's also permission for all-out profanity reacting to the torment.

Then again, I might not mention it. :-P

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

Fools exercise

Given that Mel has the ability to make a person jump off a cliff or perform any act she desired "Talking to them" would not be so much as a fools quest. It was her 'suggestions' that made the boys change their ways. Anya was admonishing the girl for using it for that purpose, knowing that Mel could have just told them to leave her alone. None knew of what happened to her as David other than being held prisoner.

As for Grandmother, I would think that she would decide to overlook a bit of minor forgetfulness in that she had been furious for what Mel had done.

Mel didn't know about the inherited risk Anya was placed in as she changed Mel's past so drastically. It was forcing Anya into areas of hardened magic she was not prepared for.

I like the idea you had about her walking out, but ah well.

I think you're right.

Daphne Xu's picture

I think that you're right, in that she had the ability to make them hold still and listen while she told them off, or "explained" how bullying was a sin. However, if she was told she should have explained, instead of using her magic, then it does become the same fools exercise as a bullying victim trying to explain things to persuade the bullies not to bully him.

> I like the idea you had about her walking out, but ah well.

Thanks. I wonder if I would have had the nerve to do that, if I were writing the story. As someone said, there are so many possibilities. My version might have come out very different.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.