The Dress Code

Printer-friendly version


The Dress Code

By Abigail Tudai

I saw this article in the local paper and thought I would share it because it is such an interesting little story.


Parents in Uproar over new Dress Code

Rockford Beach Township – Requiring children to wear mandatory school uniforms has been a highly contested topic around the nation. Some proponents have stated that it helps schools run more efficiently and keeps students on the task of learning. The other main point that proponents make is that it narrows the gap between affluent and less fortunate students who may feel they have to live up to fashion trends set by wealthy peers. Opponents to the measure state that it takes away from a student’s right to choose and the freedom of self-expression.

All that said. Rockford Beach Upper Elementary School which services grades three to six has voted in mandatory school uniforms to be in effect for the beginning school year 2014 and imagine parents’ surprise when they discovered exactly what that school uniform will be.

“It’s a dress,” Moniquia Williams, whose son Travis will be a fifth grader next year said in dismay. “They expect my boy to go to school in a pink dress. Have they lost their minds?”

A lot of parents are asking the same question. It is true that parents did agree to institute the dress code by a resounding 2 to 1 vote back in early January, but they had no idea that the actually uniform would be cause for greater controversy.
Displayed for the first time last week, parents were left confused, befuddled and angry.

“I thought they were just showing off the girls’ uniform,” Bob Walker, who has both a son and a daughter attending the school said. “I kept waiting for another child to come out to show what the boys’ would be wearing. Imagine my dismay when I was told that the uniform was quote, unquote unisex and that all students would be required to wear this outfit come fall. I’m at a loss what to do. I can’t afford to move and I can’t manage to home school my kid. But I don’t see how making boys wear dresses is going to solve any problems.”

That’s right. Though some might expect to see this article in a humor magazine, Rockford Beach Upper Elementary School will be requiring students off both genders to wear the same outfit.

The Uniform in question is a pink sleeveless dress with a teal blouse or colored shirt underneath in keeping with the schools Caribbean motif. Children are even expected to wear back-strapped sandals when attending school or canvas sneakers.

I was able to track down Principal Eleanor Scrivens.

“First off it is not a dress, it is a smock. A smock is completely different from a dress and we did so for very good reason. Smocks are gender neutral articles of clothing and for parents who have multiple children going through the school, think of the savings as they can pass one outfit down to younger children. Second, the smock is not pink, it is salmon. Salmon is a neutral color and we thought it went in with the school atmosphere and would make learning fun once again for the children.”

What can be the good reason for such a drastic measure?

“The boys can thank themselves for the lot they cast,” Ms. Scrivens said. “In recent years there has been a despicable game going on where boys will pull down the pants of other boys and girls in the school. This is akin to sexual harassment and we sought a way to curtail the situation through our dress code. Without pants, there is nothing to pull down and it will save a lot of embarrassment for kids in the school.”

It might cut down on pants being pulled down, but I don’t know about embarrassment.


I thought this would be an interesting place to start my writing career. Think of all the students we can make up and write about. I wish my school had this dress code growing up, but I wonder if stockings and tights are allowed.

Tell me how I did, this was my first time posting a story.

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm not sure ...

If this was pure fiction, I think it is but no disclaimer, as fiction it is believable as non fiction. I say it was a good story, and kind of neat.

Excellent!

Fine effort at parody. Does a splendid job of imitating the tone and rhythm of a newspaper story. Almost believable enough that you want to check Google News to see if it really happened. (Ummm.... did I just say "almost?" Ooopsie.)

I would have believed it

Ameria's picture

I would have believed it completely if it weren't for the colors and the strappy sandals

a

Another message from Hissy the Snake.

Ok, now...

Diesel Driver's picture

I hope you are busy writing chapter two. it's a great start but only a start. I wish they'd done this at my elementary school.

Chris

Damn! You've pipped me

Angharad's picture

I was preparing a story based on a school dress code. Oh well I'll do it later or forget it. Other ideas are floating round what passes for a mind.

The colour of the uniforms were a bit OTT but a good start.

Angharad

i think

Maddy Bell's picture

I'd like to see your take on the idea Ang!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Well Written

Nice storyline, and you have good skill at the mechanics of writing. It is amazing how many authors seem unaware of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Hiker_JPG_1.jpg

Contrary to the school

Brooke Erickson's picture

Contrary to the school official's statement, I'm sure that it'll only be a bit harder to find something to pull down.

Or knowing what some boys were like, flip up.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Comment from a friend

Ameria's picture

I sent this to a writer friend that I have been corresponding with for the last ten years.

Here is part of her reply:

I remember the smock thing was tried briefly at my elementary school too. I must have been in second or third grade at the time.  They did a pilot program in one section of one class that lasted a week before they gave it up. My smock was denim and I hated it because it was one of those one-size-fits-most affairs and in my case, it didn't. I felt like we were being punished for the questionable fashion choices of a few kid's parents who probably had to shop at Goodwill anyway.

I remember my parents were divided on the issue. Mom thought it was a good, practical idea.  Daddy thought it was a violation of our Constitutional Right to dress as we liked. I wasn't on speaking terms with boys at the time, so I don't know what their feelings on the matter were. I do remember seeing one boy getting his smock yanked up over his head by a bully from another class, so if keeping kids from getting 'pantsed' was one of their goals, it failed.
Now that I think back on it, we must have been the designated guinea-pig-class, because later on we also got to try a math section that had very little math in it, and a 21-step reading section that I went through in less than a week.

If you would like to read some of her work it is here:

http://storiesonline.net/a/Samantha_K

Since this is a TG site perhaps starting with 'Stallion Girl' might be best.

a

Another message from Hissy the Snake.

t'll only be a bit harder to find something to pull down.

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Or pull up. How many recalcitrant students will want to see what the other students are wearing underneath?

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

I'm afraid that this is close to reality

The crazy PC people could just do something like this. And probably will in a few years if they aren't stopped.
Thumbs up for writing up this horrific idea.

What some of these teacher do

What some of these teacher do and think who knows. I know I would of love it when I was a kid I use to bunk dress up in a skirt or dress bit of light make up and off I go,so this would be great for me but most real boys would go ape and point blank say no.Still nice thought I always want to wear school girl uniform when I was a kid.

WIN_20151023_13_56_29_Pro.jpg

An Aberration of Puritanism.

For a long time, both genders have worn garments without pant legs all over the world. Some places adopted the use of pant legs in the Far East after the British invaded and nowadays they call them Salwar Kameez. In the Middle East both genders wear "dresses", Thobe for the men and Abaya for the women. In the Himalayas, they don't seem to care what they wear as long as they get them sheep herded. I have seen a man wearing what amounts to a knee length skirt, barefoot, at altitude, in the snow. In Scotland, the men have their kilts and don't dare what they wear under them.

I find the American attitude on such matters to be sickening and tiresome...

As for me, I find pants intolerable since I had my whackerectomy.