Round and Round part 11

Printer-friendly version


Round and Round part 11
By
Morpheus

After David is caught at the wrong place at the wrong time, his entire life changes in ways he never could have expected. This is a fan fiction taking place in the Whateley Universe.

--------------------

I took a long sip of my hazelnut mocha as I stared at the small stack of paperwork that was spread out in front of me. Emily had given this to me just a minute earlier, and though I had some questions, most of the answers were obvious when I thought about them. But in spite of that, I still found myself almost compelled to ask anyway.

“What’s this?” I asked, looking at Emily and Jackie.

“An application form to Whateley Academy,” Jackie answered, giving me a reassuring smile. “Emily and I talked it over, and we think this the safest place for you to be right now.”

It had been three days since the MCO had interrupted the reunion with my Dad, and even though we’d escaped them, Jackie had become increasingly concerned. We hadn’t gone out and done any real training in the last few days since she didn’t want to take any chances with us being spotted and drawing attention. She told me that she frequently had to ‘lay low’ after a job, and that this was no different.

“I’ve been talking to some of my contacts,” Jackie told me with a scowl. “Apparently, the MCO examined the video footage at the bank and they noticed you were starting to glow on your own. And unfortunately, my attempts to get you out of there before anyone else noticed sort of backfired. They decided that you were my accomplice and put out a warrant for the arrest of David Michaels.”

“What?” I gasped in surprise.

“Ironic,” Emily commented wryly. “And they completely missed the real accomplice.”

“You are good at avoiding notice when you want to,” Jackie told her with an amused look. “And also getting it…”

Jackie and Emily both paused and began to kiss while I sat back and waited patiently for them to finish. Fortunately, it didn’t take them long to remember that I was there, though that might have been because I commented, “Get a room already…”

“Back to the matter at hand,” Jackie said, looking rather smug.

“I think you had something else in hand a moment ago,” I pointed out, pleased to see Jackie turn bright red.

“Are you two sure you aren’t really sisters?” Emily asked with a chuckle. “You certainly act like it.” Jackie and I responded by simultaneously turning and sticking our tongues out at her.

“Now as I was saying,” Jackie continued with a grin. “After the bank and our encounter with the MCO a few days ago, the MCO and FBI have stepped up their search for me. They’re also looking for you, or at least for the David version of you. They can’t seem to make up their minds because they’re alternately accusing you of being an accomplice and me of being a kidnapper. The MCO is taking the fact that I helped you escaped their custody as a personal insult from both of us, so they’re after David just as much as they are me…hence the ambush at the restaurant.”

“It’s nice to be wanted,” I joked weakly, trying to hide just how nervous that information made me.

“Fortunately,” Jackie continued, “they don’t seem to have realized that Dana and David are really the same person. As it is, the MCO is keeping an eye out for Dana, though they don’t seem to know much about you except that you’re a mutant who fought one of their teams and helped embarrass them. The MCO appears to be taking that personally too, but I’m getting most of the blame for that one. Dana doesn’t seem to be on the FBI’s radar at all.”

I stared at Jackie for a moment, thinking about what they’d said. “So,” I said carefully, “the FBI and MCO are both after me, but they don’t know I changed and don’t look like that anymore.”

“It’s only a matter of time before they figure it out,” Emily pointed out grimly. “That’s why we want to get you off to Whateley where you’ll be safe…before they actually know what to look for.”

“And to complicate things even more,” Jackie added with a grimace. “The FBI called in a relatively local group of supers…the Liberty League.”

“The Liberty League?” I asked with a smirk. “Really? That name is an annoyingly awful act of alliteration.”

Emily groaned at that while Jackie grinned. “Absolutely abominable alliteration at that.”

“So,” I asked after I’d stopped laughing. “Who are these lesser legion of Liberty League losers?”

“Tis a true tragedy,” Jackie said with a look of mock innocence. “Your tongue will get terribly twisted trying to…”

“ENOUGH,” Emily exclaimed in exasperation, causing Jackie and I to both start giggling.

“Needless to say,” Jackie said, her expression turning serious again. “With the FBI, MCO, and the Liberty League involved, we need to get you to Whateley as quickly and safely as possible.”

“But if this Liberty League are the heroes,” I asked, “can’t we just tell them I didn’t rob the bank with you?” Jackie gave me a look that suggested I’d just said something stupid. Then when I thought about it, I realized that I probably had. “You’re a wanted criminal,” I said with a sigh. “Why would they believe you?”

“Precisely,” Jackie agreed. “And from my experience, most of those so called hero types tend to be self-righteous hypocrites. You wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve gotten into fights with some, and after they cause just as much property damage as I have, they blame the whole thing on me.”

“You do tend to be destructive,” I pointed out wryly as I remembered her escape from the bank and the way she’d smashed into all those walls and vehicles.

“She does have you there,” Emily pointed out with a chuckle.

Jackie stuck her tongue out at Emily, then said, “Anyway, we’re going to try keeping anyone from realizing that David and Dana are the same person. This way, everyone will be looking for a skinny blonde boy…not a gorgeous young woman. This should help you slip past them more easily.”

With that, Jackie set a manila envelope down in front of me, right on top of the Whateley application forms. I opened the envelope and was surprised to see a school ID, social security card, and even a birth certificate, all made out to Dana Evalynn Martin.

“As far as anyone else will know, you’re my younger sister,” Jackie told me with a smile. “This will explain our similarities in appearance and powers, as well as give you a legitimate reason to be seen in my presence which has nothing to do with criminal activities.”

Emily nodded at that and explained, “And establishing an identity for Dana will also help to hide your real identity.” Then she paused before adding, “I’ve also been taking care of a few legalities. Whateley security is pretty good and I seriously doubt they’d be fooled by this for long. More importantly, it’s a good idea to be completely up front with them. Because of that, yesterday I went to visit your father.”

“What?” I asked in surprise. “But the MCO…”

“The MCO may be watching your parents,” Emily pointed out with a faint smirk, but they’re looking for David or Pinball…not me. I met your father in his restaurant and had him sign a few forms that give you permission to attend Whateley, and which authorizes me to act in loco parentis…to act as your legal guardian in certain instances when he isn’t available.”

I stared at Emily in surprise. “Dad actually did that?”

“He did once I explained it was for your safety,” she told me. “He also asked me to give you this…”

Emily gave me an envelope which contained a ‘get well’ card, which was signed by Becky. She’d even written, “I hope you come home soon,” inside. I began to tear up as soon as I read it, so Jackie put her arm around me and gave me a gentle hug.

Once I’d calmed down again, I looked at the Whateley application and commented, “I thought you said this place was really expensive…”

“It is,” Jackie agreed pleasantly. “But don’t worry about it. I’ll take care of that.”

“But,” I started to protest.

“Yes, I have a very nice one,” she responded with a smirk which made me chuckle

“Won’t they have a problem with me being sent there by a known criminal?” I asked. I’d almost said, “by a known super villain,” but I knew how much Jackie disliked being called that.

Jackie just shook her head at that. “They won’t care in the least.”

Emily smiled at that and explained, “Whateley is the premier school for mutants in this country and they have a reputation for being strictly neutral. Heroes and villains both send their kids there.”

“Heroes and villains?” I repeated in surprise. “What kind of school is that?”

“A very good one,” Jackie told me with a smug look. “You’ll learn things there that you won’t be able to learn anywhere else. And just imagine the connections you can make. I mean, you just might end up rooming with the daughter of Champion…or even Doctor Diabolik.”

I blinked at that, half sure she was joking…but only halfway. “Is the current Champion even old enough to have a kid my age?”

Jackie just shrugged at that. “No idea.”

I let out a sigh, then turned my attention back to the application forms. As I looked through it, some of the questions surprised me. One of the questions asked about sexual preferences and even gave a check box option for going through a gender change. Did enough people go through this that they actually needed a check box for it? What kind of school was this?

“Unfortunately, we can’t just put you on a plane,” Jackie told me with a sigh. “The MCO might not be looking for Dana as much as they are for David, but after what happened a few days ago, they are on the lookout for you and would probably grab you. We’re going to have to take the scenic route to New Hampshire, starting tomorrow morning.”

“It looks like we’re going to have a road trip,” Emily said with a chuckle.

“Not you,” Jackie told Emily, who looked surprised. “This isn’t like the bank where you can stand in the background without being noticed. If anyone so much as sees you with us, that could blow your cover and destroy your career. Even worse, if they found out that we were together…they might go after you too.” She stared at Emily with a worried look. “I couldn’t live with myself if that happened.”

Emily scowled at that, looking just a little hurt. “I’d be willing to risk getting outed if it meant keeping you two safe. Besides, even if they saw me with you, what are the odds that they’d be able to find out who I am?”

“Super Star is with the Liberty League,” Jackie pointed out grimly. “There’s a real good chance she’d recognize you.”

“Damn,” Emily muttered in annoyance. “You’re right. We had enough classes together that Holly is bound to recognize me.” Then she hesitated a moment before adding, “Still, you can’t deal with the MCO or Liberty League by yourself, even with Dana’s help. I could help distract anyone you run into…”

“You’re right,” Jackie admitted. “I can’t beat the Liberty League by myself, or even a full squad of MCO power suits. I do need backup, but I won’t risk you.” With that, Jackie pulled out her odd looking cell phone and made a call. “Hey, I need to call in that favor you owe me…”

up
265 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Jackie may be

a criminal, but she certainly is connected. I also have this horrible image of her throwing a couple of bank bags of cash onto you know who's desk to pay the tuition. :)

Hugs
Grover

Hopefully with dye packs set

Hopefully with dye packs set to go off when opened.

Why do I have the feeling that her favor is either from a "World Conquering Supervillain" or Champion.

Ghostbusters?

Ghostbusters?

god and mother

That phrase is so ruined. XP To the story up to normal standard and in suspense higher. I'm loving the regular updates and eagerly await more.


I'm a bibliophile, a nerd, a gamer, a MMA, and a girl

message me

if it's...

If it's written by Morpheus, it's got to be good (at least good if not great).

Thank goodness

for owed favors. Things seem to be getting just slightly stressful.

Vivien

In the world where

Bad is good being a super villain is as easy as dropping some food off for a homeless person. Pin Ball is a better friend than most heroes would be. So Whateley here we come.

Huggles
Misha Nova

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

great chapter

it was good for Dana to get that card from her sister and to know that her dad still loved her and wants to help in anyway he can. We still dont know how Morpheus has the mom coming along or not with this and we dont know who this mysterious person who owes Jackie thsi favor. You have our attention Morph.

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

Good Chapter

I was wondering when Dana would be headed off to Whateley. Jackie is a good friend and becoming a very good sister. I like how Morpheus is tying up loose ends and moving on to the next stage of the story. I'm eager to see what he does next and how he brings everything together.

Cheers
Zapper

hoi

briljant , good , nice , super , great ,,,,, did i mis any dicribing your story so far ?

erik je