What Really Happened on Mulberry Street

Printer-friendly version

Strange things happen everyday, even on Mulberry Street. A true story.

What Really Happened on Mulberry Street

by Storytimer

This was back while I was going through my real life test. I went to a party, got drunk and got raped. The rapist was somewhat surprised that he had to use a different orifice than he expected to but he continued with his planned action. It hurt like a sonnuffa because I was a virgin.

Besides the damage actually done, I decided to get tested for VD. Not wanting to go to my regular doctor or my transition doctor, I went to the free clinic. The doctor who examined me said he would have to have a vaginal swab and a full gynecological work up. I told him he didn't need to do that since I hadn't been raped there. He insisted that he needed to do the exam and take a swab.

I said, "No, you can't, just do a swab and examination of my rectum." He said, no, he had to insist. I said, "Well, do the rectum first and if it is positive give me the treatment."

"Okay," he said, "but why don't you want me to do a complete exam?"

I was sitting there in a hospital gown open in the back. I had had no surgery, and had been on hormones only three months. I wore no padding. I turned around and said, "Just do the rectal test." I reached under the gown and covered my genitals with my hand and spread my legs.

He took the swab and did a rectal exam. He said, "I can understand you've been raped but you really should have a gyno. Would you like to see a counselor?"

I said, "I have a therapist I'm seeing because I am a pre-op transexual."

He said. "OH!" Then he said, "Are you sure?"

I said, "Yes, I'm sure," and laughed.

He said, "Oh...." He paused for a long time then he asked, "...which way are you going?"

I laughed some more and said, "I'm not sure if that is a compliment."

He said, "Well, I can't tell."

I was nearly nude, sitting in front of a doctor who had done a pretty thorough exam of me including looking up my rectum with one of those cold things they use. He'd seen nearly every inch of me except a crucial area the size of my hand. Years of medical school and months of practice seeing some pretty odd things in a free clinic in a big city.

He couldn't tell what sex I was and wasn't sure of which gender I was claiming to be. It wasn't San Francisco and it wasn't really Mulberry Street and I'm not and never was an intersex.

"Can you guess?" I said and laughed.

"Female to male?" he guessed after looking at my chart where I had checked the box marked F.

"Now I'm really not sure if this is a compliment or not," I said.

"Well," he said, "regardless of which physical sex you are, I need to do a genital exam."

I shook my head. "There was no genital intercourse by me," I said.

He gave up and went away. The nurse who had been watching all this looked at me very baffled and said, "Well, don't get dressed until you get a shot, honey. I'll give you a shot no matter how the tests come out cause it takes hours to get the results."

"Okay," I said.

So she gave me a shot and said, "You can get dressed, Miss."

So I got dressed and left. The doctor watched me leave and I said to him, "I've decided it was a compliment, thank you." And I smiled.

"You're welcome," he said but he didn't smile.

I've never written this up as a story because it is true and kind of embarrassing. Lots of people can pass as the opposite sex, even in front of experts in extreme situations.

Even on Mulberry Street.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What fun

I love it when you confound people.
I was at a TS gathering and a Wife of one of the TS girls asked me which was my husband......

Thanks for sharing your journey...

May the joy of being you, but much greater than the hurts.

I hope you continue to write.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Inappropriate Pronouns…

Rhona McCloud's picture

A terrible experience put to good use told here. I don't think I've received any more inappropriate pronouns than other women (or earlier boys come to that) - people rarely look beyond the simplest line. On the other hand I still remember vividly receiving my first "Madam" rather than the usual "Miss". The cruelty of age had struck!

Rhona McCloud

When Kim and I got Together

7 mouths post op for me, we did no genital penetrative sex for 6 months, then went to Planned Parenthood for STD and HIV tests. After the worker had seen me thru her speculum, she was all excited. She asked me if she could show her coworkers. They were all wimyn so I agreed. They were all amazed and kept going "that seam down there, that was so cool, etc,". First post op vagina for any of them.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Thank you for sharing.

It's hard to make a comment on a story like that,
other than saying thank you for sharing it. My
heart goes out to you. You seemed pleased to
have your outward gender 'read' the same as
your inner gender, and I understand that. I can
only say that I'm sure that there were many other
times, under far more pleasant circumstances,
that you got that complement.

Sarah Lynn

Thank You

Your story is so timely for me.

I thought the world had gone crazy there for a moment. It was one of those moments when it feels like the floor is shifting under you. (A moment when you go into the voting booth and the only person running for any office is Jesse Helms.)

Thanks for helping me regain my equilibrium.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

honestly.

This story is cute, in a sad sort of way. I am glad there was a nurse there, because apparently the doctor was as inept in his social skills as he was in examining a rape victim. None of the needed comforting and helping the victim to relax was there. In that situation, I probably would have asked for a different doctor, I certainly would not trust any results from this one.

Nice story

Yes nice story, though it's never fun/enjoyable to be raped, passing when almost naked is a compliment to me.

I've not yet had a similar situation, but I'm also 3 months of hormones and pass, I dont know how well I would do so if almost naked or in a swimsuit, but I like when people assume I'm pre-transition FtM.

Sara