Am I Dangerous?

Printer-friendly version

Am I Dangerous?

I asked my friends to describe me, and most of the adjectives they used were positive ones.

“Considerate”, “compassionate”, and “kind” got mentioned. But a few less-positive ones also got mentions - “absent-minded”, and “insecure” to name two.

But there was one word no one mentioned, but I worry describes me.

“Dangerous.”

Why would I worry about being dangerous?

Because I was broken, psychologically. And to use a quote from a story by Randalynn, one of my favorite authors: “Funny thing, though. When you break something as complex as a human mind, you might break things you never intended to break along to way. When they imprisoned me in this body, they set a part of me free that turned me into something else. Something not quite sane. Something ... dangerous.”

While her character Jo Stark is fictional, I feel a great amount of similarities between her and me.

Like given a chance, I could be as dangerous as Stark is.

Because what happened to me in real life was every bit as horrific as what she suffers in fiction.

And the fact is, I was actually insane at the time.

I’m not saying that casually, its a fact. I suffered a form of mental breakdown called “disassociation”.

And the insanity didn’t stop when it was over.

Because I submerged my feminine nature behind a male mask, effectively creating a personality split.

But just because I had a form of insanity, does that mean I’m dangerous? Perhaps by itself, no.

But there is more.

There was one more ... personality thrown into the mix by what happened to me.

If the male mask was “Todd”, and the feminine part was eventually “Dorothy”, the third part should have an appropriate name as well.

Call that part “The Monster.”

Because that’s what it is - utter darkness, anger and evil personified.

I don’t talk about that part of me much, and it’s understandable why not. If you had something as horrible as “the monster” inside of you, you’d try to keep it under wraps as much as possible.

But “the monster” has its own plans ...

Perhaps you’re asking, “What makes you think there is such a part inside of you?”

Because, on occasion, it has shown itself.

I have had flashes of anger so strong they’re scary.

I have even come within a hair’s breath of killing a man.

And nothing that has happened to me since has convinced me that “the monster” is gone.

So at the very least, I’m potentially dangerous, even yet.

Does me becoming Dorothy make me less dangerous?

Actually, ... no.

Women can be dangerous. Perhaps even more dangerous than men, if only because we tend to not expect it from them.

Being Dorothy helps reduce the stress in my life, so that might help indirectly, but it doesn’t actually deal with the problem at hand.

So if being Dorothy doesn’t make me less dangerous, or at least not significantly, does anything?

Working on what happened to me helps, at at least a little.

But in the end, I think the only thing I can actually do, is to learn control.

Take it one day at a time, one moment at a time.

And pray that someday, I will be healed enough to no longer be scared of “the monster”.

To be able to answer the question I posed at the beginning of this essay.

“Am I dangerous?”

With the words ..

“No.”

“Not any more.”

End

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You are not alone, Dorothy

I suspect that any one looking at me; 70 yr. old, 5'3" 115 lbs( 160cm, 8.3 Stone), if asked,"Is she dangerous?" Would likely laugh - a lot. They would be wrong. Many years of abuse at home and bullying outside while struggling to superimpose a male costume on female heartmindsoul also broke something in me.

Most, I think, small towns here in the US have, especially amongst the kids, legendary bad asses. These are spoken about for generations. My sibs who cover up to 20 years younger have informed me in no uncertain terms that I was one of them. I am not proud of how horribly I was twisted inside and the resulting insane rage that left some folk permanently damaged brings deep regret and shame.

Seven years of intense psychotherapy finally enabled me to heal the pain and be done with the rage but that third self 'The Wild One" isn't gone merely quiescent. I saw that 5 yrs ago when working at a prison psych hospital one of the more dangerous patients was sitting across the room and suddenly I could tell that he was getting ready. I opened the shielding just for a moment and the total change in my look, eyes, flared nostrils and truly cruel smile stopped him dead in his tracks. He saw 'The Wild One' and she terrified him. He sat right back down and thought about some thing else.

Dorothy, I know exactly what you mean and I would bet that there are others like that among our sisters here.

Joani

huggles, Joani

at least you're putting your "wild one" to some good use ...

Hugs!

DogSig.png

Dangerous sides.

I don't think I've got a dangerous side but I've definitely got a wild side and she's a wild bitch when she's released. Could that bitch be called dangerous? ... probably not but she's loud and rude and attention seeking not to mention vain, indulgent, selfish, narcissistic and even machoistic. The sort of person that nobody wants for a friend and I can't blame them.

But dangerous? ... well I cant answer that mainly because the adjectives above would indicate a very unbalanced personality so only others who've met me could say.

So Dot, your original question is difficult to answer on line because any commentator describing your personality would have to have met you in person.

Hugs,

Bev.

Another for the family al-BUM_0.jpg

bev_1.jpg

you have a wild side, do you?

I'd never be able to guess from the photo ..

giggles and blushes.

DogSig.png

Now I got to have my

Now I got to have my say...... in the over 3 years I have known you ,never have you ever shown me a "dark" or a "dangerous" side to your personality. granted, I am not shrink nor a therapist but I am one of probably the worse dark sided people you ever came across. The military way of making one be at ease mentally with the taking of lives is not good as you still have to live with the faces in your mind. I have a lot of "faces" and at my age I have finally come to rest with my past. Point being I haven't seen a hint of what I know in your personality for you to worry about anything getting loose. You are too sweet a personality to ever fear what isn't really there, sorry but you just don't have that side to fear. May God grant you the peace you deserve.

who me, sweet?

ah, thanks, Papa.

Huggles and kitten purrs.

DogSig.png

Too familiar

in too many ways. I do keep the monster on its leash but it always seems ready to slip loose.

the monster on the leash

yeah. My trouble with my "monster" is that it hates me much more than it hates anyone else. If it were to slip off the leash, it would aim at hurting me or the people I love.

DogSig.png

Dealing with that.

I was always afraid of the dark center of my center. My fear was such that I refuse to face it and deal with it. The middle of last year I discovered that the solid rock in my center was cracked and fissured allowing the feared emotions to leak out.

When nothing happened I talked to my councilor and between us I figured out this entire fight to stay away from that darkness was for nothing. I faced the emotions and they had no more hold on me than the pair of shoes I wore 26 years ago. But one thing I did find is that I own my anger now it is very controlled as I have been a very in control person. I just call people quietly on there stuff... I make them own there stuff I do not accept there stuff and I do not take any stuff over not accepting stuff.

The biggest danger I am now is to someone who is trying to hurt my children or my family. Then in a split second I asses the situation, the stupid person doing the crime and in the next second Ma Ma
she wolf with several million years of evolution in fighting back is turned loose. That is where I have corralled my crazy, and no one else knows but those who need to. Other than then I am at peace.

to answer your question you are not dangerous with the exception to those who stir the sleeping animus and they deserve what they get.
Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

thanks, hon,

sometimes, I scare myself, but then I remember I make the choice if the anger comes out, and how it comes out. Its like nuclear power - it can be used as energy to warm your home, or it can be used as a bomb to blow it up ...

thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png

Smh

Damn hon, some of this could have come straight from my own journal entries of the past...

It all comes down to choice.

Hugs
Jenna

making a choice

yep. it comes down to making a choice. I'm sorry if you have had anything even remotely like my experiences, though.

DogSig.png

Me too

I know how broken feels... And being scared of my anger... Wondering if I'm dead inside. But.... I know at the end of things I'm pretty awesome too. Just like you.

Huge hugs
Jenna

There are times...

...when the past drifts into the present, and Rage, among others, begins to stir. There'd been one time,. when I was around ... seven(?), when Rage just completely went off the rails. There'd been this bully who'd been giving me grief, and I put up with it, because it had just become a part of my life.

But, when I was headin' home one day, I'd seen that bully harassin' a littler kid, and something just ... snapped. The memory kinda flickers after that, but I know I'd somehow knocked down a kid at least a head taller than me, and was sitting his chest, and was ... well ... an adult had to physically drag me off him to get me to stop.

So, I can kinda relate, when ya talk about feelin' like ya might be dangerous. These days, there's sorta checks and balances, that keeps stuff like that from happenin' again, but even after all the years since that day, I still worry I might see somethin' bad enough to wake up Rage again. Fortunately, I'm in a much safer, and saner situation then I'd been back then, so I'm pretty sure that won't happen again.

being in a safe place

can really help keep the Rage in check.

Huggles !

DogSig.png

*smiling and nodding*

It definitely does help!

*hugging back*