Acting Like a Girl -- Part 1

Printer-friendly version

This is the story of a theatrical acting opportunity that was so unexpected that it was too good to pass up. A role of a lifetime for our High School thespian may just turn out to be the role for a lifetime.

BY Nina Adams Acting1_0.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was probably the loneliest person on the planet despite having over a thousand friends. I was very popular on Facebook, Tumblr & Twitter, but in the real world I didn't have a life. My existence revolved around my MacBook Pro laptop. I would return home from High School and spend the bulk of my day gradually working through my homework while connecting to my diverse pool of internet friends. There were a few local friends mixed in, but I hardly thought of them that way.

Besides my I-Friends, I would use my computer to watch movies. I loved film and to a somewhat lesser extent, theater. A lot of my friends came from my blogs about films. I guess since I did not live a very exciting life, I took pleasure in throwing my emotions into film study and drama. I knew every site where I could download films for free, even some that were still in the theaters.

At my High School in Northbrook I was not an outcast, but my niche of friends was pretty small. I did well academically, but I always sat in the back and spoke only when I had to. As a result, I always managed decent grades, but would be one of those students that the teachers would soon forget.

The only school extracurricular activities that I ever got involved with revolved around theater or film club. Even the film club was a bit of a bore, because I knew more about film and film techniques than the teacher that acted as the sponsor. I only stuck with that because I wanted to go to USC film school in two years when I would graduate.

My small group of school friends mostly came as a result of acting class and drama. For some reason I could pull myself out of my shell when it came to acting. I guess throwing my emotions into a role allowed me to express myself in a safe way and provided an emotional outlet. As soon as my acting scenes ended, I would tend to quickly regress back to my invisible shy self.

I was reasonably graceful on stage, but I had no real skills when it came to dancing or singing. I was fine for a background role in musicals, but my preference was for straight theater. The good parts in these shows usually went to students that had paid their dues in other shows which were mostly musicals.

I had made the cast in three shows, which thrilled my divorced parents. My mother and father got divorced nearly ten years ago but still got along when they were not lamenting about money. My father was a gynecologist at the local hospital and made a decent living, but he always felt the need drive fancy sport cars and own other yuppy toys. My father and I got along fine, but I always felt he was a little disappointed that I was not more like him in his macho pursuits. He never said anything specific, but I sensed he wished I was more of a guy's guy. When it came to the shows, however, they were both there together as proud parents. In my three previous shows I had only had about a half dozen total lines, but I still managed to be on stage and sing as part of the ensemble.

I was hoping that in the Spring play or one of the productions my senior year that I would get a bigger part. I would be applying to college early in my senior year and they all consider activities as part of the holistic college application process. My grades and ACT would be more than enough to get me into USC, but I needed something a little special to enhance my application.

I felt I had some talent, but I needed the right part to audition for. I was not exactly leading man material. I was barely 5' 8'' in shoes and you could blow me over with a strong fan. I had pleasant looking facial features, but I maintained the artist look with hair that easily rested on my shoulders. It was long enough to clip behind in the back, but my chosen look was a backwards baseball style hat. My favorite cap was a green Israeli army hat. It kept the hair out of my eyes and I thought it looked cool.

The big Spring show was always student written. It would be based upon classic themes in literature or older established productions, but would be re-written to reflect modern themes and more current cultural concepts. Last year they did a modern version of the Grapes of Wrath. Instead of focusing on life during the depression, the story focused on survival of an unemployed family trying to make do in the current economic world. It was an especially challenging story for students to put on in a school district that was generally populated by families that were financially well off. The production got good reviews, but was a little on the depressing side.

This year the show was called "Political Side Story." It was a modern take on Romeo & Juliet and West Side Story. The general storyline followed a young woman from a wealthy conservative family that falls in love with a boy from a liberal working class family. The student team that had worked on the script for the last 6 months had the task of bringing in as many political themes without directly insulting the audience or taking too much of a political position. Originally, the writers wanted to make the doomed couple a Gay couple, but the faculty advisers thought that making the central leads Gay, might be too edgy for a High School show. Having gay characters or leads were fine, but they did not think that the audience was ready for them to be the central love affair.

The final script included a lot of social commentary and quite a few pokes at the Tea Party, the debt ceiling and Obamacare. It was a well thought out script, but the doomed central love affair almost seemed like an afterthought to the storyline about the worlds separating them. The casting for the roles of Tony and Maria (names taken from West Side Story) could make or break the production.

The tryouts for the show were held the week after Thanksgiving even though the actual show would not be staged until mid March. There needed to be a lot of complex staging work and preparation to pull the show together. The play had a lot of juicy roles because the central lovebirds each had family and friends that had to be developed, each with their diverse social agendas. There were three or four parts I would have been thrilled to get, but I could only try out for one. They could cast you in a different (usually smaller) part if they liked someone else for your chosen role, but you only got one chance to make your initial impression. Sometimes you would get a call back or be asked to read a different part, but if you showed well enough, you could be cast without actually receiving a call back. I chose to read the part of Maria's brother Alexander.

The consensus best actress in the school was a girl named Monica. She could sing and dance with the best of them. She was also the star of our state ranked volleyball team. Unfortunately for the role of Maria, the character needed someone more delicate. Monica was attractive, but she was both too tall and possessed an athletic build. This was to be Monica's final show before graduating and the directing team wanted her to get a decent part.

Monica read for the Maria part and probably would have been adequate. With the right Tony it might be possible for her to look the part, but no one special emerged as a front runner for Tony. The casting crew decided on three call backs for both Maria and Tony, but were a little disappointed in the alternatives. There just didn't seem to be any natural combos.

During the call back readings, one of the writers made an offhand comment that Monica could probably read the part of Tony better than any of the guys that were called back. The other two lead writers were immediately drawn to Jenny's comment. It was probably an accurate assessment, but the concept was really the brilliance of the statement.

Jack quickly added, "that would be a great twist on the story. If she played the lead male role, it would add some modern intrigue. It would not be a gay relationship, just something extra to make people think."

"I am not sure that is what I really meant, but maybe."

Kaya also through her thoughts into the mix. "If we cast Monica as Tony, we ought to cast one of the guys as Maria."

Mr. Jackson, the theater teacher and our faculty advisor, began to object.

Kaya quickly cut him off. "In Shakespearean theater men originally played all the parts. This would just be our modern twist on the concept."

"I see your point Kaya, but this is a play with serious themes and is not a comedy."

"I really think Monica would be a great Tony, Mr. Jackson" Both Jenny and Jack shook their heads in agreement.

"Okay for the moment, assuming she would take on that role, who would you have in mind for Maria?"

The room took on a long silence.

Jack was first to speak. "Getting a guy to play a female role as anything but for laughs could be a challenge. None of the call backs for Tony could possibly pull it off."

Kaya nodded affirmatively as she said "We have to go back to square one with our Maria casting. Let's rethink the auditions; specifically as it pertains to Maria, we have to think outside the box."

"We don't want people seeing a masculine guy parading in a dress no matter how good an actor he is. This part needs someone who is less recognizable that can carry it off." responded Jenny.

Over the next half hour the committee went over every person that had auditioned for a part.

Chapter 2---

I was surprised when I got a call just before dinner on the day the afternoon call backs were being held. I had not received a call back, but the actual casting was not going to be posted for a couple of days.

My mother yelled to me to pick up the land line. I almost never used that phone. I slid my computer off my lap and went into my Mom's room to find a phone. She told me Mr. Jackson from school was on the line.

"Hello"

"Hi Mr. Jackson, what's up?"

"Nate, this may seem like a late request, but can you come back to the school at 7:00 to read for a part in the play?"

"I thought the call backs were this afternoon."

"They were, but we are still trying to cast the show and wanted you to read for another part."

"That's cool, which part should I prepare myself for."

"We would rather you just came and did it with no preparation."

"Why's that?"

"There is not much time for you to learn this part and we do not want you over-thinking it."

"Alright, I will see you in a little over an hour, thanks..."

My heart was racing the moment I got off the phone. My mother was almost as excited as I was when I told her about the audition. She joked that anything that got me off my computer was a good thing.

I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to select the right clothes to wear. I had no idea what I was going to be reading for, so I didn't know whether a casual or conservative look would fit the part. Ultimately, I selected standard theater duds. I wore tailored jeans and a V-neck purple sweater. I wanted to show I had some fashion sense, but I didn't want to look like I got all dressed up for the last minute opportunity. I also wore my black Dansko clogs because the made me appear about an inch taller.

I was greeted warmly by the whole casting committee. They all seemed too social for a call back. This last minute reading was already strange to begin with, but everyone just felt overly friendly. I had only gotten there a few minutes before 7:00, but until Monica walked through the door, I was the only call back there. It was all very confusing, especially since I knew I would not be reading for the same part as Monica.

To me Monica was like royalty. She was popular, talented and of course, a senior. I was confident in my abilities, but felt like a child next to her. Her mere presence dominated me, as did her towering physical stature.

I was waiting for a cue on what was next. I plopped down into the second row of seats and patiently sat there silently. Monica did likewise a few seats over. I glanced in her directions a few times while trying not to stare. We both shrugged our shoulders and made polite half smiles to each other as we both contemplated what was up.

Finally, we were both asked to sit down on the edge of the stage as the casting committee and Mr. Jackson sat down in the first row of seats. This was not how I envisioned a call back.

Jenny broke the silence by asking us about the play and the statements that the storyline was trying to make. Before long we were all much more relaxed and the conversation was flowing. Ultimately we all agreed that a majority of the story was about how opposites and people of different cultures could fall in love, but that society was not always ready for this forbidden love.

"Jenny, I think we all grasp the meaning that you have written into the plot, but I am still confused as to why Monica and I are sitting down and discussing this with you."

"Well, Nate, we have been looking for something to profoundly show that the differences in people are all just a matter of viewpoint. It doesn't matter if you are white, black rich or poor, republican or democratic, even male or female, ultimately love is between two people."

"Well I am confident that I can express that feeling given the opportunity. I am sure Monica feels the same way."

It was Monica's turn to interject. "I have been to more than a few auditions before; you must be talking about something outside the existing script or we would have already been reading for you."

"Monica, your intuition is correct. We have tweaked the main characters to add a twist to the storyline and emphasize that people are just people."

Monica looked in my direction and caught my grin before saying, "So you would like us to play the leads, because we are physically a little mis-matched?"

"Well, that is sort of..."

Mr. Jackson cut off Jenny to get to the point.

"What we are about to ask you is not quite so simple. You both have talent and Monica you have always been a shining light in our theater program. The roles we have envisioned for both of you will challenge you beyond anything you might have considered. If you take the leads in the production, it will take all of your skills and efforts and not always be comfortable."

"Mr. Jackson, I am sure I speak for Monica, but I would be honored to take on the role of Tony, it would be a fantastic experience to play her unlikely opposite."

"As I was saying Nate, the leads are yours, but not exactly as you are envisioning."

"What am I missing?"

"Well Nate, quite simply, the casting committee would like you to play the lead role of Maria and Monica to play Tony!"

"What! You're kidding aren't you? I can't play a girl's part."

"This play is a modern take on a Shakespeare classic and in his day all the parts were played by men. Many of the most famous actors of theater and film have played across gender types."

"But..... I just can't imagine how I could pull that off. This is supposed to be a serious play and not a comedy."

"With the right direction and some coaching we think you have the skills to pull it off. We wouldn't be here right now if we didn't think you could do it."

"I just don't know. I am sure Monica does not want to play a guy."

"Well Nate, actually I think it would be a rush. I have played so many traditional parts, but this would be a great statement role. I think the challenge would expand my acting resume."

Kaya softly clapped her hands as she looked in my direction. If Monica is willing and excited to play Tony's part, it's not like you would be playing a girl's part falling in love with a man. What we are offering is really a phenomenal opportunity for someone that has never had a major part before. I think you could be wonderful, but if you are not willing I am sure we can find a replacement quickly."

"I didn't say I was not willing, I am just a little shocked."

"Do to the nature of these parts, you will both have to have one of your parents sign a permission slip to fully except these lead roles," added Mr. Jackson.

"Can I think about this?"

"Come on Nate, you can do this. We will be a great couple."

"Monica, you are one of the most popular people in school...my parents sometimes forget my name! I don't want to be a joke."

"If you really feel that way this should be great for you. We will be hanging out a lot together, besides if you put your soul into the part you will not be a joke. I didn't even get a lead role when I was a junior."

"I guess that is true, but I still think I will look ridiculous on stage playing a girl."

"It will be our job, to help you get ready for the part," barked Jenny. "The production is still months away, so you will have plenty of time to rehearse and mentally prepare yourself. Don't take this wrong, but making you look the part will be the easiest aspect."

"You certainly know how to make a guy feel good," I responded sarcastically.

"So are you going to jump on your opportunity?"

"I hope I am not making a mistake, but if my mother says it's alright, I am in."

"Is she home now?" interjected Mr. Jackson."

"Yes, she is waiting for my call to pick me up."

I will call her and explain things and I would like to do that with your parents too, Monica. Why don't you both go and relax for a while and I will make the calls."

Monica and I walked out into the hall together. It was an awkward few minutes, but we congratulated each other and gave each other a casual hug. Monica was more excited about her part than I was mine. She couldn't stop talking about how much fun it would be to play such a unique role. She tried her best to encourage me.

"We are in this together, Nate. I will be by your side and make sure that everyone gives you the respect you deserve for getting this part. I guess you could say, I will be looking out for you like a good boyfriend should."

"Please don't tease me. This is going to be hard enough."

"I didn't mean to. I just want you to know you are not on your own, and I will be by your side all the way."

"Thanks."

Chapter 3----

By the time my mother pulled into the circle to get me, she already knew all about my starring role and what was being asked of me. I was grateful I didn't have to explain the casting twist and have to ask her if it would be OK to play a female character. Her first words were "Congratulations on getting the lead role."

I had not really thought about it quite that matter-of-factly. I knew it was one of the two starring roles, but in reality the story revolved around Maria. I would probably make or break the show.

"So are you excited?"

"I think shocked would be a better choice of words. I am thrilled to get such an important part, but I am playing a girl! In my wildest imagination I would never have contemplated that."

"I guess that is a bit shocking, but you probably never imagined getting a lead either. You will have an opportunity to become a real thespian."

"That may be true, but I will get there looking like a lesbian."

My mother smiled at my little play on words.

"What's dad going to say when he hears about this? He's going to think his son is a sissy or something."

"Now let's stop this self deprecating nonsense right now. If you don't want people to give you a hard time, you better start by accepting and being proud of your own accomplishments. Your dad will be happy for you and proud just like I am. I will talk to him tonight or tomorrow. Don't fret about your father."

"I know I should be happy, but I also don't want to be a joke. I am not sure I can handle performing as a girl. It's all so out there."

"It won't be simple, but you have always been creative and a good actor. You have a lot of time to work on your character and get comfortable in being a girl."

"By tomorrow everyone at school will know about this, so I guess I will have to get over my anxiety quick. I am not that popular at school now, and I don't think this will help my reputation."

"Don't be so sure. You are now a big-shot in the play. You will probably make some new friends."

"We'll see."

"Your father and I will be in your corner all the way. I know a little about being a girl and I will help you. You are not going to be ready for your stage debut if you spend all of your time up in your room on your computer. I will give you some of my own brand of directing to make things easier."

"I will probably get plenty of that at rehearsals, but I know you mean well."

"It's going to take a lot more than rehearsals for you to make a convincing Maria. Trust me; your actual director is going to appreciate any help I can give you. Just relax and we can discuss this all later after it all sets in."

My fate became official shortly before 10:00 pm, when the cast list was posted online. Under normal circumstances I would have been online every few minutes looking for the casting post, but I already knew my name would be there. I was sort of curious about the other characters, but the thought of seeing my name next to Maria kept me from looking.

It didn't take long for my phone to ring. Almost simultaneously, I also began to receive text messages. The first text probably said it best "Is this for real?"

My closest school friend Sam was on the line. Most of my friendships were the internet variety and while a few were also schoolmates, I did not hang that much with anyone from school. Sam would easily be classified as my best bud at school. He lived across town so I did not see him that much outside of school, but we did stick together whenever possible at school. Socially, like me, he did not have a great many close school buds. I liked him because he was a great artist and always appreciated all forms of creative expression, including my film blogs. He was also involved in theater, but usually on the set design side of things.

"So Nate, you and Monica are the talk of the school. The role reversal is going viral."

"I guess I am not anonymous anymore. This thing just happened."

"It's so cool! You're famous now."

"Yah, but in a weird way."

"It's different, but the whole concept is so rad. I can't believe those straight laced theater nerds came up with such a amazing twist. And you are perfect for the part."

"I'm not sure I like that comment. Why am I so perfect to play a girl's part."

"I didn't mean it in a bad way. Nobody really knows you, so they won't be thinking about Nate in drag. You are a good actor and are one of the few people in drama that could probably pull it off convincingly."

"I'm still not sure I like what you mean by that, but I will try and take it as a compliment."

"Get used to it. The play is not for over 3 months and rehearsals don't begin until after break. You are going to be the center of attention for a long time."

"What's everyone else saying?"

"I haven't talked to anyone yet, but it's all over Facebook. Mostly "did you hear?" kind of stuff. I haven't seen anything nasty."

"I am getting texts from people I didn't even know had my phone number. Mostly congrats type of bullshit, but I haven't responded to anyone yet. I guess I will just say thanks and leave it at that."

"You and Monica are going to be quite a team. How is she doing with this?"

"Better than me. She says she loves the challenge."

"You should too. Don't forget your old friends when you become a famous actress."

"Stop!"

"Sorry, I just think it is way cool."

"Glad you're thrilled...see you at school tomorrow."

“Chio"

I spent the next half hour responding to messages. I was a little evasive, but tried to sound excited and appreciative. I wasn't sure what the next few days would bring, but I tried not to think too much about it.

I couldn't shake the apprehensive feelings I was experiencing. It took me longer than usual to fall asleep. The built up nervous energy refused to let my mind wind down. When I finally did fall asleep, I was out like a light. When the morning alarm sounded I did not want to get out of my slumber.

As I suspected, I received a lot more than the usual level of attention at school. Just about all of my small circle of friends congratulated me and gave me some good natured teasing. I also received hugs and positive attention from theater people I barely knew. More than a few of them affectionately referred to me as Maria. It was not meant as a tease or insult, but rather as a honorary label for my knew found celebrity standing. I was called Maria more than Nate during most of the new attention directed at me. I played along and took it all in stride.

I didn't cross paths with Monica until after 3rd period. She was clearly in a good mood and was already into the spirit of the show. As if to make a point, she was wearing a white collared shirt with a black narrow tie. It was stylish, but the implication that she was going to be playing a boy could not be missed in her morning fashion selection.

"Nate, now that the reality of your fabulous role has sunk in, are you ready?"

"Pretty much. I have not received so much attention since... well, never! So far, I guess it has been easier than I expected."

"Well today should be easy. After today the back patting is over and we have to get to work. Rehearsals will begin after break, but you and I have a lot of lines to learn and we both are going to need to practice, practice, practice. Between now and formal rehearsals we need to get into our characters and learn most of our lines. By the time formal rehearsals begin, we should be mostly working on details and staging. We have less than six weeks to be ready."

"You certainly have more experience with this than me. What's the best way to get prepared?"

"Well you can start memorizing some of your lines, but because this is a student written script, some of them will probably get changed as they work on the staging. The best thing is to get into your character and practice scenes."

"That's going to be hard to do before rehearsals."

"Not really. You and I are in a majority of scenes together. We can do readings together."

"Okay...When do you want to start?"

"ASAP. How about tomorrow?"

"Where?

"My house. We have a pretty big house and both of my brothers are already off to college. We can get a lot of privacy there."

"Sounds reasonable. After dinner?"

"7:00 or there about"

"That works. By the way, tomorrow night you don't have to wear a tie for me..."

"Don't joke about this. You need to start thinking more about getting into your part. Loosen up, remember you have to act like a girl."

"I'm just saying..."

"Tomorrow 7:00 and leave the attitude behind."

"Will do"

Chapter 4--

I was starting to get comfortable being noticed. My status as invisible was fading away and at least for now I was enjoying it.

The next day at school when I crossed paths with Monica she gave me a strange once over and reminded me to be over promptly at 7:00. I noticed she was still intentionally trying to look slightly butch. She had her hair pulled back in a ponytail. but it was bunched with a simple rubber-band low along her neck. She did not appear to have on any makeup and her clothes included a Chicago Bears T-shirt, jeans and converse gym shoes. She came across as almost androgynous. It might have been my imagination, but even the way she walked seemed more like one of the guys.

I wanted to get off on a good start so I rang her doorbell exactly at 7:00. Monica quickly ushered me in and up to her room. She had a huge bedroom with her own attached bathroom. It was definitely a girl's room with the exception of some sports memorabilia.

Once we were in her private lair she wasted no time in telling me I needed to get with the program. I was a shocked by her blunt criticism. I was clueless as to her attitude.

"What? I am here. I even read through the script a couple of times."

"Duh! I know you will learn your lines. Anyone can do that."

"So, I still don't get it."

"Obviously. You have so much to learn."

"That's why I am here."

"Have you noticed anything different about me the past two days?"

"I guess."

"You guess what?"

"Well you have changed your look a bit."

"Anything else?"

"Well today you seemed to be carrying yourself a little differently."

"At least you are observant. That's a start."

"Monica, I thought you were doing that for fun."

"Acting is fun to me. The best actors all have a passion for it. When you get a good role you have to live and breathe it. Some call it method acting, but whatever you call it, you need to think like your character."

"I plan to throw myself into as much rehearsing as it takes."

"You can't possibly expect to act like the heroine in the play by simply showing up for rehearsals, unless you want to fail."

"I am here to get ready. We can work together until we are hoarse."

"You are missing the point. You can read the lines all you want and still fail."

"I'm listening."

"I can't rehearse with Nate."

"What?"

"You need to be and think like Maria. To play a female role you need to assimilate so much. It is not just a costume. You need to walk, talk, gesture, and naturally send out subtle cues. If you want to be successful you have to lose your inhibitions and for all intents and purposes try and be and think like a Maria."

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"You committed to this play and everyone knows that. You need to start getting into the role. Throw your male ego out the window. Start showing me and the world some girl."

"Say what!"

"I have tried to start thinking like a Tony and dressing like one. It's not easy, and I have a long way to go. I haven't seen a thing from you yet. You even showed up here without so much as a hint of your pending character. I know it is a challenge, but you won't be able to snap your fingers and get into the role."

"What were you expecting me to do?"

"I didn't expect you to show up at school dressed as a cheerleader, but I thought you might at least try and soften your look; maybe a little makeup or at a minimum some attitude adjustment."

"I can't act like a girl at school... people will laugh at me."

"Has anyone laughed at you yet? The school has shown it is behind you. You might get a smile or two, but it will only be an issue if you make it one."

"It's harder for a guy to be accepted acting feminine than for a girl to be accepted acting masculine."

"That's a guy talking right now. You have no idea how it is for me."

"I'm just not sure I can do that."

"You should not have taken the part then."

"I just didn't think it would carryover beyond the stage."

"Get real! If you are going to pull this off you have to open your mind and go all in."

"I don't even know where to begin?"

"Exactly! That's why each journey starts with a first step."

"What will my mom think if I start acting weird?"

"It's not weird and she has already talked with Mr. Jackson and said she would help you in any way she can."

"I'll talk with her then... what now?"

"You are all questions..... let's get you over some of your fear."

"Easier said than done."

"I want you to sit down in this chair. I am going to put some makeup on you and brush out your hair. I want you to see a girl in the mirror."

"Fine... if you think that will help me get adjusted. I hope I don't look too stupid."

Monica worked me over for about 20 minutes. She spent a big chunk of the time on my eyes, but also added facial blush and even some light pink lipstick. When she finished my makeup she removed my ponytail and brushed out my hair. She teased it in a couple of areas and added some a couple of swift puffs of hairspray. As if to add insult to my misery, she dabbed a small amount of perfume on me before she would let me see her handwork. When I asked why she did that she said I needed to feel feminine with all of my senses.

My heart skipped a couple of beats when I finally saw my image on her closet mirror. My face looked attractive. I looked a little older, but I knew I was not kidding myself in that I was actually more than a little pretty. I didn't think that would be so easy."

"So Maria, how does my girl feel?"

"Strange. I never thought I would look like this."

"The directors obviously did, but that is just your face. It's a good start."

"Ok, but you know I can't go to school like this."

"Why not... besides you need more than just makeup. You have to stop fighting it. I should send you home with some of my clothes, but I think you probably need a smaller size than me. Your Mom can probably get you some things."

"She'd probably freak if she saw me now."

"I bet she would love it."

"After she fainted..."

"I think we ought to dress you up and see."

"I already look different enough to shock her."

"I have a sweater dress that would look acceptable on you. Add some boots and maybe a wide belt and you would probably look phenomenal."

"What happened to taking small first steps?"

"You need an initial shove to get you into the right frame of mind."

"If we keep this up we will not get much rehearsing in."

"This is better for you than hours and hours of line reading. Until you can accept looking and feeling feminine you will be worthless reading the part."

"Ok, get me the dress."

"Slow down girl. You need to get ready for it first."

"Now what?"

I would never have thought this evening was going to turn out like this. Monica had somehow taken over my self control. I guess seeing my pretty face had somehow changed my attitude. As if in a hypnotic trance Monica had convinced me to shave off the minimal fuzz on my arms, legs and even under my arms. I didn't have any yet on my face, so that was not an issue.

After rubbing some lotion onto my skin she insisted that I put on a pair of her panties and one of her bras. I changed in her bathroom and she slipped two rubber stress balls through the door. These were sand filled and once in place gave me a pretty big set of breasts. I felt naked and quickly slipped the maroon dress over my head. After coming out of the bathroom she gave me a pair of tall black leather boots that had about 3 inch heels. A matching wide black belt with a chrome buckle was positioned around my waste. The shoes were snug, but actually fit reasonably well.

Monica never let me pause as she kept adding elements to the mix. Before she was done I had on a series of wrist bangles and some clip-on earrings.

As Monica finished her work she re-brushed my hair. I think I let out nervous giggle, which prompted, "somebody is getting into this."

Monica had a huge grin on her face as she stepped back, "Now you are Maria."

I just couldn't stop looking at myself in her closet mirror. I was terrified, but also fascinated over my transformation. I looked almost as good as most of the girls at school. An hour ago I would never have thought this possible, but here I was dressed completely from head to toe.

acting4.jpg

"So Tony, what do you think?"

"I may turn into a jealous boyfriend... you are going to get a lot of attention from the other boys. How do you feel?"

Stealing a line from West Side Story, I said "I feel pretty."

"Well you are. It's a good first step for getting into your part. You look like a Maria and that was the first time you acted like one. The more you dress this way the better an actress you will make."

"You are probably right, but it's not like I can do this all the time."

"And why not? You are probably a little dressy for school, but you need to start bringing some of this expression to school. Girls wear jeans, but you have to start incorporating feminine personality traits into your life 24-7."

"That scares me. I am just not sure I can do it."

"No one will care and everyone knows you are playing a girl's part. My guess is that your friends and classmates will think it's cool and really get into it."

"A couple of them have already started calling me Maria and even that feels so odd."

"Maria is such and old fashion name. I think I like Mia better. Nate from now until the final curtain goes down, I christen you Mia."

"Let's just say I am willing to try and be more Mia and less Nate, my parents may have something to say about that."

"Well Mia, that's why we dressed you up,. It is time for your Mom to meet her daughter."

"I think I need to tone this down for her."

"No way. That would defeat the point. Put your old clothes in this bag, time for me to drive you home."

I was petrified as I walked down the driveway and got into Monica's CRV. Even the simple task of walking in heels was something that I had to learn. Not much was said on the short drive to my house.

After we parked in the driveway I called my mom on the phone and asked her if she could meet me and Monica alone in the kitchen. She wanted to know what was up, but agreed to meeting us there. It was kind of funny, but she commented that I did not sound like myself on the phone. It was probably because I was nervous and talking softly, but my voice was obviously the least of the change she was about to notice.
I wasn't sure what to expect when my mother saw me decked out in Monica's clothes, but her reaction wasn't what I expected. She must have suspected something like this because there was no shock on her face as she first laid eyes on me. Her first words were "Stand up straight and pull your shoulders back a little."

"I can explain."

"I understand honey, you're anxious to start getting ready for the show."

"You're not mad or upset?"

"Of course not, I was planning to get you some things and see how you looked this weekend. Turn around for me, so I can get the full view."

"This just sort of happened tonight on a whim."

"Nate, that dress looks adorable on you, but may be just a little long for you."

"It's Monica's and she is taller than me."

"I sort of assumed that, unless you already had been accumulating some girl's clothes that I did not know about."

"What? No, Why would I have done that?"

"It's OK, Nate, I am not trying to say anything."

It was Monica's turn to speak up. "Mrs. Adams, it is important that Mia spend as much time as possible learning to be a girl. Even at school she needs to include as much of her feminine side as possible. Everyone knows about the play and will be behind her all the way. If she is going to be a convincing Maria in the show, she needs to get totally comfortable being a Mia when off the stage."

"Monica, why are you calling her Mia?"

"That's the name that Nate settled on since he doesn't really look like a Nate now and Maria sounded kind of old fashioned. She will probably better fit in with the other girls as a Mia."

"Hey you both, you keep calling me a she. I'm still a guy even if I don't look like one right now."

"Honey, you picked out a pretty name for yourself. I think it best that we think of you as a she so long as you are being Mia. That is part of the learning. Your sensitivity to that is why you have to practice."

"It just seems so unnecessary. That sounds like you expect me to be a girl all the time."

"Well honey, Monica is right. If you really want to make the best of your big theatrical opportunity, you really do need to basically try and get used to being Mia. I can help you at home and Monica and her friends can help you blend in at school."

"I'm not wearing a dress to school."

Monica jumped on his attitude "It doesn't matter if you wear a dress or not. It's almost better if you don't. If you can change enough elements of your look and attitude to become a convincing Mia without screaming look at me in a dress, Then you will be ready for the stage and be a convincing woman."

"Monica, I had a long conversation with the drama teacher, Mr. Jackson. He asked that I help my little actress with things only a mother could. I told him that I would and we agreed that practice, practice, practice would be the only way to pull this off. I am sure he would be on board if 'Mia' began to spread her wings a little at school."

"Mom, I appreciate your understanding, but don't get carried away; besides Dad will freak if he knows I am prancing around as a girl."

"You are probably correct and your father may take some time to fully get comfortable about this. I told him last night about your part in the show and he took it hard. You know he loves you, but it took a while for him to settle down."

"I was afraid of that."

"Your dad is not homophobic and not completely un-sympathetic, but you know he always dreamed of you being more the fraternity boy type. I don't think he ever forgave me for buying you that Princess costume for Halloween when you were 5."

"I don't remember that... I was a princess for Halloween?"

"I am surprised you don't remember it. You were so cute; no one suspected you were a boy. You were having such fun I never gave away your secret."

"Wow, I really don't remember, but what about all of this and Dad?"

"Well he went on about boys should act like boys and girls like girls. I started to get angry with him, when he cut me off and said he wasn't naive or an idiot. He commented that he didn't have a problem with boys that wanted to be girls or girls that wanted to be boys, just that it is just something a parent doesn't wish for. He explained that it is definitely different for kids today, but he may need some time to get used to you as a girl."

"You told him the girl stuff was for the play, RIGHT!"

"I did, but he just sounded defeated. When we were all done with the discussion, he said he would be supportive. It might take him a while, but he would learn to adjust. He even said he would do whatever he could to help. I am not sure how he can do that, but giving you some space and being supportive is probably enough."

"I am having dinner with him Saturday, so I guess I will find out. He has always been good about my theater stuff, so I hope he knows why this is such a big deal. I imagine him seeing me dressed girlishly off the stage might be asking too much. I will keep the Mia thing as far from him as I can."

"Honey, he is going to know and besides I already warned him that if he came by the house he would likely see you practicing. When you meet him Saturday it is best that you get this confrontation over with. You will feel better if you don't need to sneak around behind his back. Tomorrow is Friday and after school we will go and get you some of your own things and we have all day Saturday to prepare as well. From Now until the show is over you are going to be my Mia."

"Mom, I won't need that much."

"Monica will tell you, a girl needs a lot of help looking her best. You are starting from scratch."

"Mia, your mother is right. You don't want to wear the same outfit to school every day."

"Outfits? I thought I just needed some things to express a more feminine appearance."

"Some of the things we will get for you will not be that different than some of your old boy clothes, but it should all have some element of your new persona. Trust me, you will look very nice."

"Mrs Adams, it sounds like you have this under control. I look forward to rehearsing with Mia. It also sounds like I should be focussed on upping my effort to be more of a believable Tony. It will help Nate adjust to being Mia if I also throw myself into being Tony at school. That way no one can question Nate's motivation if we are both doing this all the way."

"Thank you, Monica. That is probably a very good idea. If both of you are clearly into your roles at school, I think almost any style might be possible."

"Monica.."

"Mia, you need to call me Tony. Get used to it."

"Ok Tony, I think you dressing the part will probably make it easier for me, but let's not get carried too far away."

"Mrs. Adams, I am going to head home now. You two can have some mother daughter time now."

"Thank you for everything Monica. I will have Mia return your things after we get her some of her own items."

"No hurry, I think they look cuter on Mia, anyway. Bye now."

up
339 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The premise...

...is fantabulous! This is exactly the type of stunt that a thespian club would pull in high school.

Honestly

the premise is a trope and, well, it means it's been done, a lot, so it will need some originality to pull off well.

Of course if our protagonist does fall in love with Monica in real life or Monica winds up as the one who actually transitions, then it would give it a bit more of a twist. Or if the protagonist winds up NOT transitioning all the way would be interesting too as the usual pattern is for the hapless protagonist to wind up having the whole enchilada done and liking men and all that.

Hope this winds up somewhere 'different.'

This sort of thing ...

... was quite normal at my UK single sex state grammar school in the early 1950s but there were no girls to help. Of course the female parts tended to be played by boys with unbroken voices but not always.

In one small production I played a newly pregnant woman! The only line I can remember is "... and I, with child growing under my heart" which took a bit of getting over the embarrassment :) I got shot and killed in the end. However, there was no question of any method acting. I don't think I could have got away with wearing a gym-slip to school (jeans were almost unheard of then and certainly not for school - I was still wearing shorts and didn't have any long trousers)

It's quite hard to find any TG story theme that isn't a trope. The skill is in varying the theme enough to make it different and making it enjoyable to read. Both seem to apply here.

Robi

Trope

Tropes become so because people enjoy them. Not even varying the theme is all that necessary. Create good characters, provide interesting dialogue and let the fun ensue.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Great start!

I am liking how you have developed this. The story could easily be novel length if you are so inclined. ;)

SuZie

YEEE-HAW!

NINA'S BACK!!! With a winner of a story!
**Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Acting like a Girl

Dina; I like this it is a great start! Thanks!

Richard

school

they should do more like this in school most kids don't judge pepole for what they where or how they act it is learned from there parents or the pepole around them

Great Start!!

I really enjoyed your opening chapter.

Loving part 1

Nina,

I very much loved this first part of the story. Had I but known, I would have focused on theater on the off chance...

Thanks for posting it.

Hugs,
Shy

Nina dear.....

Lovely start to this one hon. I'm so looking forward to seeing how the story evolves around Mia & Tony! Ms. Adams, may we have more pwease? Loving Hugs Talia

Good Start.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I however hope this does not go the simple route of "Put a guy in a dress long enough and he will want to be a girl", that is a bit unrealistic in it self and in it's depiction of what being Trans means. Now if(I stress the IF) the Halloween costume is an indication that he is suppressing something that could be different assuming it then all comes out.

I do think Monica and Mom are going a bit overboard, but some people can be like that. I do agree, "practice, practice, practice!" And maybe even some dry runs so to speak. But I don't think he really needs to live as a girl until the show is over in order to play the part well. and that seems to be what they are pushing. Of course there is also nothing wrong with him doing that if he wants to. But if he does not want to, poor Nate, this basically "forced fem" then. I hope they don't go to far just plain push him in to being a girl whether he wants to be one or not. That would be rather sad if it is not what he really wants.

Whatever way it goes it does looks like it may be an interesting ride.

*waits to see which way things will go for Mia*
~Hypatia >i< ..:::

I agree with Hypatia. This is

I agree with Hypatia. This is a very good start, but I don't think Nate really needs to suppress all that is Nate (especially this early in the piece) in order to portray a convincing Maria.

Then again, I like Nate, and if my reading on can superstitious-ly save him from being pushed into something he doesn't want, then read on I shall!

Joking aside, however, I do like the setup.

Xx
Amy

A Question

C Monster's picture

To Mia/Nate. Here is a question. Grasshopper what have you leaned (and where will it take you).

Great to see You Back

I like your stories. So happy you found time to treat us for the New Year.
Hugs
Julie

Jules

Happy New Year!!!

Valcyte's picture

A new Nina Adams serial. How nice. Well written as always. Logical development, (although of course this is a fantasy). So far the individual's motivations are believable. I am reading this piece by piece as an evening treat. Yummy.
Val