Evolution, Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
punk.jpg
Jacob seemed like a normal boy growing up with a single mom.
That all changed on one traumatic day.

May 7, 2010. A day that changed everything for him.

He began to evolve!

Evolution
Chapter 7

by Torey

Copyright © 2013 Torey
All Rights Reserved.

"I'll be honest Liz, I thought you were making a big mistake letting Jacob pretend to be Jade." said her co-worker and best friend, Meg. "But I do believe I can't be more wrong. Jade is not pretend."

"It wasn't easy for me to let Jade be Jade," Liz whispered back as they looked on Jade cradling Meg's 5-year-old in a chair, and reading her a book.

"I think our mothers are back, Emmie," Jade whispered. "Did you like the story>"

Emmie yawned and whispered "yes."

Jade picked up Emmie over her shoulder. She winked at their moms as she carted Emmie off to her bedroom.

Liz couldn't help but smile as she noticed Jade wearing a tiara, scarf and a matching pink tutu that Emmie wore.

Jade tucked Emmie in bed, and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"Jade, can you be my babysitter forever?" Emmie whispered.

"Oh, I think that's up to your mommy little one," Jade said, looking back at their moms and smiling.

"Think you for helping us out in a pinch, Jade," Meg said.

"It was nothing Mrs. Porter, Emmie was a doll," Jade replied.

"This is a new look for you," Jade's mother replied, pointing out the tiara and the tutu that Jade wore over her jeans.

"It was something we dug out of Emmie's closet," Jade said. "We played ballerinas and had a tea party."

"Yeah, she loves that," Meg said.

"Didn't figure you for the ballerina and tea party type, sweetie," Jade's mom said.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe ballet would suit me," Jade said with a laugh.

"Well, Emmie loves it, don't knock it," Meg said.

"I'm not," Jade said. "Emmie was really cute when she was showing me the steps. And I'm keeping the tutu and tiara, by the way. I've got an idea for an outfit."

"Oh, now that's the Jade I do know," her mom replied.

"Can't wait to see it," Meg laughed. "And I have to say that I'm impressed. It's not every babysitter who wins Emmie's heart on the first day.

"She won my heart, too," Jade said.

"Well, I do hope you'll babysit for us again," Meg said, handing Jade $40.

"Would love to," Jade said. "Thanks for asking me tonight."

*****

"That was a different side of you," Jade's mother said when they got into the car.

"Not really, kids are cool," Jade said. "I just regret ... "

"Regret what?" her mother asked.

"I saw a woman who was pregnant at the store," Jade said. "It made me sad that I won't be able to have a baby, to feel one growing inside of me."

"That's the price of being Jade," her mother replied. "You know you could ..."

"Oh, no, there's no going back," Jade said as they pulled up to the dress shop where her mother wanted to shop for dresses for a luncheon. "Jacob was who I was. It's not who I am."

"I just wanted to ..." her mother said.

"I know," Jade said. "You're just being Mom."

Her mother marveled at how comfortable Jade was being a girl, how the change in personality seemed really natural. In the past, Jacob rolled his eyes as his mom looked for clothes, but brought him because she couldn't find a sitter.

Jade seemed more like a fashion consultant. Even for an edgy, punk rock, tough teenager, she seemed to be catching up on the latest trends.

"That really is you, Mom," Jade told her mother when her mother came out of the dressing room with a dress that caught her eye. "I think you'll look really good at that luncheon.

"Thank you," her mother replied. "I am amazed by your sense of style. You really continue to surprise me."

Jade surprised her by asking if she could try on a few dresses. Even as Jade, she wasn't really known as the "frou frou" type.

And once again, she surprised her mom with a sensible sun dress.

"It's $35," she told her mom. "I can get it with my baby sitting money. Lincoln keeps begging me to go on a picnic with him."

"It's not quite the edgy style I'm beginning to warm up to," her mother said. "But you do look nice in it."

"Thanks, Mom!" Jade said.

The two stopped at the park. Jade's mom had a few things on her mind.

"I'm still processing this," she confessed. "The other day, I noticed your breast buds after you climbed out of the shower. Your butt, your hips are a little firmer. The hormones are kicking in, just like Joan said. But I'm still coming to grips with you dating a boy."

"I don't know if you could really call it a date, Mom," Jade said. "He's just a really good friend."

"But a friend you like, and he likes you," her mother said.

"Yes," Jade said, blushing.

Lincoln wasn't exactly like her "punk" friends. He was more of a normal kid. And Jade seemed more like a normal kid around him, less edgy, less tough, more sensitive.

*****

A trip to the police station wasn't exactly what they had in mind to complete the day.

As they were heading home, they received a text to come by the police station from Detective Lawrence.

"Please, not Detective Benson jokes," her mother told Jade on the way there.

Detective Lawrence asked to meet privately in her office.

"I don't really know how to tell you two this, but he's escaped," Detective Lawrence said.

"How?, how could this happen?" Jade's mom replied. "He's supposed to be at a maximum security prison."

"He had help Liz," the detective said. "He is on the run with two others. We'll catch him, I promise."

Jade sat quietly as her mother and the detective talked.

"We'll he try to get to us?" Jade's mother asked.

"It's possible," Detective Lawrence said. "Your testimony and Jacob's was what put him away. We're going to do everything we can to keep him away from you. We're going to have extra patrols in your neighborhood, around the school and at your work."

"If he comes around, I'll kill him," Jade said stoically.

"I think it's best you steer clear of him if you see him," Detective Lawrence said.

"It actually may help that Jade is no longer Jacob," Detective Lawrence told her mother. "He probably won't recognize her."

*****

"I'm sorry, Mr. Palmer, I'm not having a good day," Jade said with head bowed in the principal's office.

There was nothing like finding a note taped to her locker that read "Repent queer" that also contained a Bible verse.

Jade rushed outside to the small group of protesters who had been protesting since the school system allowed Jade to attend school as Jade.

She recognized the handwriting of the person responsible: Ruth Spencer, pastor's daughter. Her church was the group protesting. Ruth was there with her mother right before school.

"You fucking bitch!" Jade shouted as she shoved Ruth to the ground.

Ruth's mother, Holly Spencer, threatened to have Jade arrested for assault, but Jade's English teacher, Lori Baker, threatened to have Ruth arrested on hate crime charges.

"She's in my class along with Jade, I know the handwriting anywhere," Miss Baker said.

Mr. Palmer held off calling Jade's mother. And did his best to calm down the Spencers and other church members.

He explained to the group of protesters that a convicted rapist had escaped and any action by the school board might draw his attention.

"The last thing we need is unwanted attention," Mr. Palmer said. "We don't want to endanger our students."

He let the Spencers leave. He let Jade calm down.

"If I was in your place, I probably would have done the same thing," he said. "Especially with what you and your mother are going through," he said.

"Amy I free to go?" Jade asked.

"You are free to go," he said.

Waiting outside were Miss Baker and her friends. She hugged Raven and Kat.

She clung to Lincoln.

"Hold me, don't ever leave me," she whispered.

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

why

is this in the teaser list, but not the new chapter list?

you know its been long enough i'm going to have to reread this from the start.
thanks for a new chapter

Something new.

D. Eden's picture

I had never read this before, but saw the latest chapter today and decided to go back and read it from the beginning. Jade is a great character, and I can only wish that I had a parent as understanding as her mother.

This is a wonderful story and I look forward to seeing more of it from you.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I'd somehow

missed this and had to go back read the whole thing. I like that there is some common sense going on. No, don't bring the attention of the rapist. Although given the current atmosphere Jade probably would've been suspended despite the circumstances.

Hugs
Grover

"Hold me, don't ever leave me,"

hate on one side, fear on the other, and poor Jade trying to survive in the middle.

DogSig.png

I suspect that

"Good christians" like the Spencers are likely to spread the story about Jade/Jacob (and his/her location) far and wide, in hopes of attracting the attention of the escapee. That way they can claim ignorance while getting him to do their dirty work for them and proclaiming it god's vengeance on the sinners. Just the sort of story that would make "Rev." Phelps proud of them, killing three sinners all at once.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

OMG! how can that happen?

Yes Lincoln, hold her tight! Don't ever let go! As if the haters aren't bad enough, now the rapist is running loose. Scary times ahead I fear! Torey dear, make it go away, pretty please? Shaky loving Hugs Talia