Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Epilogue

Printer-friendly version


Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight
Epilogue
ElrodW

A young man, feeling totally unwanted by his family, runs away. He needs to find a way to survive, and eventually, he stumbles into an Op Rescue clinic.
Page has one loose end to try to tie up.

[email protected]

********************************************************************


Epilogue:


This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

The woman looked up from the small table, set among so many similar tables in the food court of the mall. It wasn't close to lunch or dinner time, so the area was reasonably quiet and not crowded. She stared a moment at Paige before recognition dawned. "You're the girl who talked to me before, aren't you?" she asked hesitantly.

Paige pushed her stroller, with her son, beside the table, and eased into a chair. She was very visibly pregnant again, too. "Yes."

"Why ...?" the woman began, her voice hesitant and fearful. "Do you know anything else ... about my son?"

Paige looked impassively at her. "What's all this about?" she asked. "I understand that he ran away. Why?"

The woman stared at Paige, and then her gaze fell to her intertwined hands atop the table. "I guess it's fair to tell you, since you _did_ help put some of our fears to rest. We didn't know for the longest time," she said softly. "But then, after you told me he was alive, I got an e-mail from him."

"Oh?"

"He told us why he'd run away." The woman shook her head sadly, wiping at a tear on her cheek. "At first, it felt like he was trying to hurt us more." She stopped, biting her lip for a moment. "But then, after we all thought about it, we realized that he was right." She shook her head sadly. "All those years, we couldn't see how much we were all hurting him. We just couldn't see that we were making him feel unwanted and unloved." She wiped at both eyes. "I guess he was right. We were awful parents to him. Everything he said was factual and precise, and we couldn't deny it. It's no wonder he ran away."

"Did ... did you have more e-mails?"

"Yes," Mrs. Franklin said softly, "but he made it clear that he didn't want to ever see us again. He told us that we'd never find him, and to not bother trying." She shook her head, letting her tears flow. "I hoped that, someday, he'd be able to forgive us for what we'd done." She stopped, shaking her head slowly. "I still hope that, someday, maybe he will."

Paige sat silently, looking at Mrs. Franklin. She glanced nervously to one side, where Beth sat a ways off, giving Paige a supporting look.

"After he left, we ... we had problems." She shook her head. "His father ... had a heart attack." She heard the gasp from the girl. "He's okay, but ... we can't help thinking that, if we'd have been better parents, he wouldn't have left, and Tom wouldn't have had the heart attack. His brother blamed himself. After the letter, we understood why Chuck — that's his older brother — started drinking a lot. And Maggie — his little sister — she went from a happy, outgoing girl to a rebellious, angry, reclusive girl. They blamed themselves, because of all the things they'd done to him." She looked up at Paige. "I don't know why I'm telling you all this," she apologized. "I should save it for my counselor."

Paige glanced at Beth again, who simply nodded. When Paige looked back at Mrs. Franklin, she reached out and tenderly put her hand on Mrs. Franklin's hands. "It's been long enough, and I've been through enough. I don't know if I can forgive everything, but I'm ready to try." Mrs. Franklin looked up, puzzled. "At the very least, I can finally accept your apology, Mom," Paige added softly.

Mrs. Franklin's confusion slowly changed, until it was anger. "Is this some kind of cruel trick?" she snapped.

"No. Would you like to tell me about when you and Grandma were telling me that I was such a good cook that I'd make someone a wonderful wife someday?" Paige asked calmly. "Or the time Chuck used my bicycle on the bike trail, and then after he ruined it, I got in trouble for wrecking my bike, even though I'd been sick that day?" She saw the stunned expression of disbelief on Mrs. Franklin's face. "Shall I go on? I can tell you all about what happened when I was growing up, with you and dad and Maggie and Chuck."

"But ..." Mrs. Franklin was thoroughly confused.

"I'll take a DNA test if it'll help you believe that it's really me," Paige said unemotionally.

"But ... Pete was my _son_!" Mrs. Franklin cried. "And you're ...." She was staring at Paige's round, very pregnant belly. "How ...?" She stared, her mouth hanging open in stunned disbelief. "What the hell is going on?"

"You all hurt me so badly that I wanted to hide forever and never see you again." She glanced to the other table, and nodded for Beth to join them. "There's a clinic that helps unwanted babies. They'll even let men into the program, but they have to make some ... adjustments. It was what I needed to get past my fear of being found, and to let me build some self-confidence."

"That's ... impossible!"

Beth sat down at the table. "Mrs. Franklin," she said calmly, "I work at the Morris Henderson clinic. We create ... cloned organs, so that even men can ... carry a baby." She handed Mrs. Henderson a couple of pamphlets. "What Paige is saying is true. When she came to us, almost three years ago, she was a frightened boy who needed to feel like he belonged and was loved and wanted. He had surgery — including some cosmetic surgery — and became Paige. Legally, Pete no longer exists. Only Paige."

"And this is my baby," Paige said, looking down at her napping son. "Your grandson." She looked back up at Mrs. Franklin. "I guess he's the reason I finally decided to meet with you. I realized, by taking care of him, how tough it is to be a parent, and how easy it is to make mistakes."

"This _can't_ be true!" Mrs. Franklin wailed. "This is impossible."

Paige shook her head. "No, it isn't. If you want, I'll show you the name and gender change records at the courthouse. I'll show you the surgical records at the clinic."

"Why did you do this? Why did you stay away for so long? What were you trying to do to us? Why wouldn't you come home?"

Paige shook her head. "You hurt me too badly," she said, trying but failing to hide her pain and bitterness at all the emotional abuse she'd suffered. "You probably don't know how close you all drove me to suicide — several times." She let that comment sink in, watching Mrs. Franklin's shocked expression. "At first, all I wanted to do was to hurt you back. All of you. Mostly, though, I needed out of that emotional hell I was living in. This program — and the counseling that went with it — gave me a way out. It gave me a place where I felt wanted. After I got some self-confidence, I wouldn't contact you because I didn't understand about being a parent, and I wasn't ready to forgive all the pain." She shrugged. "The clinic gave me a way to hide — in plain sight, as my friend Tommi put it. I didn't have to live a hermit out of fear that you'd find me, like I did for almost two and a half years."

Beth decided to add something. "Pete was so emotionally scarred that he lived in very, very primitive conditions, shunning outside contact, for over two years, before he found us."

"What ... what now?" Mrs. Franklin asked fearfully. "Are you going to come home?"

Paige shook her head. "No. I don't know if I can go that far. My ... changes would probably give dad another heart attack. And I can't trust Maggie and Chuck to not tease me or pick on me. Not yet, anyway." She tried to smile. "Maybe we can meet for dinner, someplace that doesn't have ... bad memories. And someday, maybe, I'll be able to come home. Steve wants to meet my family, and my son Michael deserves to know his grandparents."

"Steve?"

Paige smiled. "Steve's ... my son's father. He's a friend. I think he wants to marry me, but I'm not ready for _that_, either." She saw the skeptical look Mrs. Franklin was giving her. "Mom, it's not like that. I'm one hundred percent, head-to-toe, completely female. I'm a woman now. And I'm happy."

After another few minutes of conversation with Mrs. Franklin, during which she slowly accepted that Paige was never going to be her son again, but that Paige was reaching out to let them know she was okay, Mrs. Franklin excused herself. She had a _lot_ to think about.

As Beth and Paige walked from the mall, Paige pushing the stroller, Paige leaned her head onto Beth's shoulder for a moment. "I know that was hard for you," Paige said.

Beth started. "Oh?"

"I know you think of me as your daughter," Paige admitted with a smile. "And I like to think of you as my mother. Meeting with my biological family doesn't change that. You're the one who's been important in my life." She glanced down in the stroller. "You and Michael," she added.

"How do you feel?" Beth asked.

Paige smiled. "Like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders."

Beth wrapped her hand around Paige's waist. "Let's go to the deli for lunch. My treat."

Paige smiled. "Sure thing," she answered, "Mom."

**********

FIN


Author's Notes

Author's notes:
Pete / Paige started as a visceral reaction to Morpheus' Twisted story, "Not My Sister's Shadow". In that tale, a boy who'd felt tormented by his family and his 'perfect' older sister Twists into her clone — and then the abuse really starts. What really bugged me about that particular story was that the protagonist was too quick to forgive and patch up things with her abusive family, who had been clueless about what they were doing. After some reflection, I understood why it struck me as so trite and fairy-tale — because I could relate to the main character. I'd suffered significant emotional abuse during my childhood, at the hands of my parents and siblings. I never heard that I was good enough. I never got praise. My siblings tormented me, and got away with it. What I realized is that if I were in that story, I wouldn't have been quick to forgive — if I ever could. I was viewing the story through my own experience, and it didn't fit. I needed a story that wasn't a fairy-tale ending for someone escaping such abuse.

I came up with the idea of an abused child running away young, to escape his emotional hell. He wasn't going to 'forgive and forget' — he'd suffered too much. Next, how to fit it in this genre? Op Rescue. It took some work and a couple of revisions, but I got the story to fit. Every single episode that Pete / Paige describes in her life is directly from mine. If it seems real, it's because it was very real to me - I lived it. Had I catalogued all the abusive events, the story would be thirty chapters in length. In a way, it felt good to have Pete tell his family to get stuffed, that he hated them, and didn't want to ever have anything to do with them again. At the same time, he had something to learn about how parents can make mistakes, and are sometimes blind to what they're doing. The story presented a great way for Pete to grow, and for me to come to grips with some of my own personal demons.

A couple of my early reviewers preferred the story ending without the epilogue. Some like the closure the epilogue brings. It's up to you. You can always pretend the epilogue never happened if you want.

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It Was Necessary

littlerocksilver's picture

The Epilogue. Enjoyed the story, and I figuratively felt her pain. I guess the new baby is being hosted. I had some thoughts about Steve and his parents. It's none of their f...ing business that Paige was a genetic male. That's immaterial. If Steve can accept the fact that Paige is obviously now a biologically capable woman, that should be the end of the argument. All that is necessary is for them to love each other.

Portia

Lost more than one BF that way.

Once you tell them that you used to be a boy, it takes a special man to have the courage to see it through. So, Steve is one of many.

g

I will lean on the side that

I will lean on the side that says that the conclusion was a good thing.

It's not so much the closure, it's also that the characters themselves are given a little bit more depth.

There's the implication of at least a small amount of reconciliation, even if it's just to the point of supervised visitation. There's a reference that perhaps Steve got over himself and started thinking of more than 'what will my family think' - which is a HORRIBLE thing that happens on its own.

It's also a reference that yes, she is well into the next hosting. All things that were sort of hanging out there, and while there's ways they can continue, they're at least bundled up - tied off isn't necessary.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Thank you for this ending

Podracer's picture

I really appreciate that it hasn't all fallen entirely into an all's well everyone is happy smiley bowl. There are still broken bits that may never be fixed.

"Reach for the sun."

A wonderful ending.....

D. Eden's picture

To a fantastic story! I really liked that Paige told Beth that she is the one that matters most to her and called her mom at the end. There is so much more to being a parent than biology. Parents are the ones that sit up at night waiting for their children to come home because they're worried about them. Parents are the ones who go without sleep because their child is sick. Parents are the ones who take the time out of their busy schedules to go to a play, or a game, or to go shopping, or just to share time with their children - just because they love them.

Beth filled that hole in Paige's life and that's what makes her Mom.

Thanks for this. As a parent I like to think that I did everything right, but I know I probably didn't. Like Rachel tells Paige in the story, there isn't any manual for new parents. You can only go by what you learned from your parents - right, wrong, or indifferent, or from what you've seen other parents do, and then follow your heart. Sometimes you have to remember that it's more important to be a parent than a friend. You have to be willing to make the tough decisions, even when you know your child will hate you for it, and even though it breaks your heart. You can only hope that eventually your child will understand that you did what you had to do out of love for them.

So far, I have been lucky enough to have three wonderful sons who understand that. I hope that our love and relationship survives the next year as I continue my transition.

Again, thank you for this story - not only was it great reading, it really meant a lot to me.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Wonderful series

This is a beautiful series as you have created a main character that the reader is cheering for to succeed and does just that! Please, keep us up to date with updates on how Paige is doing in life.

Paige would never really

Paige would never really forgive her parents. The abuse Pete suffered - and we must never forget that it's the effect it had on Pete that counts, not the nature of the abuse itself - came at a particularly impressionable stage in his life. He did well to survive, even better to adjust to her new life.

Some mistakes can't ever be rectified.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

I like the epilogue

its healthier for Paige to be able to forgive.

I hope you were able to do the same ...

Huggles.

DogSig.png

two thumbs up !!

I really liked this story ! And I found something great in each chapter.
After reading the whole story through before considering reading the epilog, I can understand some peoples aversion to the epilog, but in some respects it completes the whole thing like 'final closure' I like it included
I really liked how you had counselors on hand right there to talk through events and crisis-es. That would be so nice.

Great Job !
but then again I like most of you writing!
Hugs to you an yours
Danielle_O

divider_001a.jpg
Danielle_O

"Life is pain, Princess ~ anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

Perfect!!!!

Renee_Heart2's picture

Perfect ending to a perfect story. I'm glad Page told her mom & her mom more or less rejected her again but to Paige as long as she has Beth for a mom who needs her Bio family when she has an adopted one who TRULY loves her.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Not so much

elrodw's picture

Rejected her again. She did ask when / if Paige was coming home. She has a lot to absorb and process. I think overwhelmed better describes what I intend. But to Paige, Beth is her mom.

Imagination is more important than knowledge
A. Einstein

Consider the journey

Thanks Elrod for such a touching story.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

I liked

the epilogue. When you have that much hate in you, it's not good. Also Paige grew as she became a parent herself.
I think this is one of your best.
hugs
Grover

I hear you.

I know what you mean about "Not My Sister's Shadow", I too found that really jarring, most unusual fora Morpheus story. Maybe it's shared experience - although my abuse was different (less ignoring, more "you will confirm to this mould" backed by beatings and fear of beatings).

Thanks for the great story!

Epilogue

I am glad you included the epilogue. I felt it gave some closure to the story.

Parenting is not easy as children don't come with a manual.

Thank you for sharing what must not have been an easy story to write.

Joanna

Elrod, Wonderful story, I was

Elrod,

Wonderful story, I was always looking forward to the next chapter.

You have left it open for more chapters, and with your obvious writing talent, I would encourage a few more chapters for those of us readers without writing talents.

Best regards,

J

Onr of your better ones

anf you have written some terrific stories.

Excellent story

I just read the whole novel today; I think it's one of your best, maybe marginally better than "The New Co-ed".

I noticed a minor inconsistency: once or twice Maggie is referred to as Paige's younger sister, but when she appears, she speaks of Peter as her "little brother". There were also a few minor typos in the form of missing or spurious words, but mostly it was well edited as well as well-written.

The perfect ending

It's a great story as other in OR series.
An Epilogue shows a real person struggling it's grievances. I don't think it's about hate. Hate causes fighting (very often self-fighting).

Intense

This pulls at my heart. I am glad you found writing this to be cathartic. It is really amazing how family can affect our destiny.

A start

Jamie Lee's picture

It took 3 years and becoming Paige, to reach the point where she could face "her." Three years isn't enough time for the emotional wounds to heal. It may take years before enough scar tissue has developed before they become memories which she wishes never happened. But they won't have as much control of Paige as they still do to some degree.

It's understandable her biological mom was so confused. She was expecting to see a man who is her son, not a young woman with her baby. That she excused herself and left, was not taken by Paige as rejection because her other " mom" was still with her. A mom who meant more to her than her biological mom.

While this epilogue seemed to be the end of this story, several questions are left unanswered. Do Steve and Paige ever become close again? Does he get over being concerned what his family will think? Does Paige get a permanent job at the TV station? Does she host more babies? And does she every feel secure enough to meet with the rest of her family? Do they reach out to her or her them?

This is a story that should not be missed. It's an enjoyable read.

Others have feelings too.

Great story

Well written, emotional, engaging

Happy