Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version


Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight
Chapter 6
ElrodW

A young man, feeling totally unwanted by his family, runs away. He needs to find a way to survive, and eventually, he stumbles into an Op Rescue clinic.
Paige is adjusting to her life, and finds a little closure and peace.

Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Prologue
Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Chapter 1
Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Chapter 2
Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Chapter 3
Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Chapter 4
Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Chapter 5

[email protected]

********************************************************************


Chapter 6


This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.


"Wow!" Paige said to herself as she hung up the phone. She was sprawled on the sofa, next to Beth's chair.

"Something wrong?" Beth asked, perking up immediately when the girl expressed her surprise at whatever she'd been on the phone about.

"I don't believe it," Paige said softly. She snapped out of whatever stunned state she'd been in. "That was one of the managers at channel 2. They want me to come in for an interview for an intern position."

"That's good," Beth said encouragingly. She glanced and saw Paige's expression. "Isn't it?"

"I suppose," Paige said uncertainly.

"I think it is."

"But ... where did they get my name? Why did they call _me_?" Paige shook her head. "I didn't apply for any internships. And besides, I'm already working part-time at the clinic."

"Well, the clinic is good job experience," Beth reassured Paige, "but work at a television studio would be a lot better on your resume."

"But why me?"

"Maybe one of your professors recommended you. Or Rachel."

"Why would Rachel recommend me?" Paige asked, a level of distress in her voice that was increasing. "Unless she wants to get rid of me!"

Beth moved to sit beside the girl, and she put her hand on Paige's. "Honey," she said soothingly, "if Rachel wasn't happy with your work, she'd have talked directly to you about it. You know that. Besides, she promoted you to producer, didn't she?"

"But ... if she's happy with my work, why would she want to get rid of me?"

"If Rachel did recommend you, and we don't know that she did, it would be because she wants to help you on your career path. There's only so much work at the clinic, you know." She smiled. "But I don't think Rachel was the one to recommend you. She'd have talked to you first, wouldn't she?"

"Yeah, I suppose."

"You should talk to Rachel about it," Beth recommended. "She's always been up-front with you, hasn't she?"

Paige nodded.

"I get the feeling that you really don't want to go on this interview."

Paige looked down. "I don't know."

"It's been a tough road for you, with a lot of challenges. You're gaining self-confidence, but going to work daily outside your safe nest could be intimidating, right?"

"Yeah."

"It's just an interview. You're not committing to go to work for them. That option would come after you interview — and you could always turn them down."

"Yeah, I guess." Paige tried to smile. "I guess this means someone believes in me, huh?"

Beth patted her hand. "Someone besides your friends, you mean."

**********

"You look fine. Would you quit fussing and go catch the bus?" Beth admonished Paige, who was still in front of the bathroom mirror trying to add 'just one more' finishing touch to her makeup or hair or clothing.

Paige came out of the bathroom. "Well?" she asked nervously.

Beth smiled. "If looks count, you're about two-thirds of the way to having the job."

Paige blushed. "It's not on-camera, so my looks don't count."

"No, but looking professional and composed does, and you've got that."

"I wish I _felt_ composed. I'm nervous."

"Just be yourself, and you'll be fine."

Paige nodded, and then she picked up her purse and strode from the apartment.

Beth fussed around the apartment, trying to read, but not being able to concentrate, then trying a little cleaning, only to get annoyed doing that. The truth was that Beth was concerned about how Paige was doing on her first job interview. As time passed, Beth tried to convince herself that the longer the interview, the better Paige was doing.

Over three and a half hours after Paige left, Beth was startled by the sound of the door opening. As she rose from her chair and dashed to the door, Paige came in.

The look on Paige's face was a strange mixture of relief and elation. She was still trembling from nervousness — perhaps because her frazzled nerves were finally able to release emotions she'd held in check during the interview. She sat down at the counter, visibly shaking.

"How did it go?"

Paige stared past her for a few seconds. "I guess it was okay," she said.

Beth could understand her reaction. "Would you like a cup of herbal tea?" she suggested. Anything to give the girl a sense of normalcy and routine.

Paige nodded. "I was scared," she admitted after a few seconds.

"It's normal to be nervous." Beth turned on the stove to heat the tea kettle, and then got a fresh cup and the tea bag. After pausing for a moment to think, she prepared a second cup for herself.

"It was my first interview," Paige said simply.

Beth grinned. "No, in fact it wasn't. You had several interviews with Rachel and Tina, didn't you?"

"I suppose." Paige took a deep breath, exhaling slowly to calm herself. "It wasn't what I expected."

"Oh?"

"They were so ... nice. They showed me around the production area." Her eyes lit up. "They've got really well-equipped studios for their production," she said, letting her excitement at the station overcome her nerves. "The production engineers really know their stuff. And ... the department manager knew about my work at the clinic."

"Oh? Did you ask him how he knew?"

"Yeah. He said that he got a recommendation from Professor Flynn." Paige shook her head. "He's seen some of the videos I produced for the clinic, so I guess he showed them to the department manager."

"I told you Rachel wouldn't have done anything without talking to you first."

"I know," Paige agreed meekly. "It's just ... I was nervous."

The tea kettle started to whistle, so Beth shut off the stove and poured the steaming water into the two waiting cups. "I'd have been nervous, too, but you're a good student. You really know the subject matter, and your experience working with the clinic's videos gave you some very valuable experience."

"One of the department managers was suggesting that, after I do an internship, if I take a permanent job, I could become an on-air newsreader or something."

"I know you don't think you want to be in front of the camera," Beth began.

"That's an understatement," Paige interjected.

"But you want to keep all your career options open. The more different aspects of the business you know, the more you can earn, or you'll have more choice of doing what _you_ want to do." She pulled the teabags from the cups, and pushed one across the counter to Paige. After taking a sip, Beth said, "Do you think you'll get a job offer?"

Paige nodded. "The department manager gave me a verbal offer, and he said he'll get a written offer in the mail."

"So I guess congratulations are in order. Why don't we go out to dinner to celebrate? Maybe Chinese? Or that Mexican place, Tres Pesos?"

Paige wrinkled her nose. "You _know_ Chinese food doesn't agree with me now," she complained. "And Mexican is a little too spicy. I don't want to aggravate my morning sickness, you know."

"Then maybe we can go to Denny's, or IHOP? Something a little less spicy and exotic?"

"That sounds good."

An hour later, the two walked into the lobby of an IHOP. A hostess came up to greet them almost instantly, and her face beamed. "Paige," she said with a broad smile. She gave Paige a quick hug. "I didn't expect to see you here tonight."

"We're celebrating," Paige answered. She realized almost immediately that she'd overlooked a social nicety. "Beth, this is my friend Trish Hopkins from school. Trish, this is my good friend, Beth, that I'm living with."

Trish shook hands with Beth. "It's nice to meet you. You know, Paige talks about you all the time. Do you really walk on water?"

"No," Beth said, glancing with a frown at Paige.

"The way she talks about you, it sounds like you do!" Trish giggled. "What brings you here tonight?"

"I had an interview for an internship with Channel 2 today," Paige said. She wasn't fond of talking about herself. "I think they're going to offer me the job."

"That's great!" Trish said with genuine happiness for her friend. She looked at Beth. "Paige is just _amazing_!" she gushed. "She's so smart, and her work is top-notch! It's no wonder you're getting an internship!" She smiled. "I'm interviewing with the PBS station next week, and there's an independent video production company that does mostly advertisements."

"You'll do great," Paige assured her friend with a warm smile.

"But not as good as you. And you're doing this while you're pregnant, too!" Trish said in amazement. "I'm envious."

Beth smiled. "I have to agree. Paige is one of the most amazing people I know." Paige was, by this point, red-faced with embarrassment from the compliments. Secretly, though, she felt ecstatic in her heart. People were talking nicely about her work, and about her.

**********

Rachel stood when Paige walked into the conference room, and greeted Paige with a brief hug. She turned to another woman seated at the table. "Paige, I'd like to introduce Sara Connor. She's the chairperson of the Crisis Pregnancy Center." She turned to Ms. Connor, who was rising. "Sara, this is Paige Fulton, the girl I was telling you about." Ms. Connor and Paige shook hands, and Ms. Connor stared at Paige's rounding belly

Rachel gestured for Paige to take a seat. She'd seen Sara's glance. "Paige is helping produce the instructional videos for our clients, and she did our latest ad."

Paige felt her cheeks redden at the compliment. "I was just helping a little," she said, feeling embarrassed.

"Helping out, my foot!" Rachel exclaimed. "She did most of the video and sound engineering for the videos."

"I've seen them," Ms. Connor said. "They're good."

"Paige, we're about to finalize an agreement with the Crisis Pregnancy Center to provide obstetric services for poor, single mothers."

"So we're going to need new ads?" Paige assumed.

"Not yet. We'll need to edit some of our videos to highlight our services, and we'll need to reproduce some of them in Spanish as well."

"You could just do subtitles or voice-over," Ms. Connor suggested. "Our clientele aren't that picky."

Paige shook her head. "If you were a frightened young mother, and you watched a video that's obviously dubbed, would it give you any confidence? Would it make you feel welcome?"

Rachel agreed. "Paige is right. We want the girls to be comfortable, and that means that our materials have to look professional and welcoming — even if we have to re-shoot them."

"That'll cost ...." Ms. Connor began.

"The Foundation gave us a pretty generous grant to pilot the program. Let's not worry about the costs, okay?"

Ms. Connor's eyes widened at that revelation. "Okay," she said. She was used to operating on a shoe-string budget and cutting every corner she could.

Rachel turned back to Paige. "Can we get that girl from your school to edit for us again?"

Paige shook her head. "If you're thinking of Michelle Nguynh, no. She got a fabulous offer to do an internship with a production company in LA. She's moving as soon as soon as the fall term is over."

"Any other students who can do the job?"

"Nope. No-one is as good as Michelle. You're going to have to hire a good video editor."

"That's what I was afraid of." She sighed. "Can you check with your instructors and see if they have a recommendation?" Rachel turned back to Ms. Connor. "Let us know what you think we need for instructional and advertising materials. And let's tag-team on La Leche League. If we both work on them, we might get them on the team, too."

Ms. Conner frowned. "That's going to be a tough sell. You _know_ how they like to stay as far from the abortion issue as they can."

"I know," Rachel acknowledged. "But when they see what we can bring to the table, I think they'll come around, especially if we emphasize our new services for disadvantaged mothers." She stood, followed by Sara and Paige. "I'll have Cynthia set up a meeting so the lawyers can talk. I'm sure they'll have a lot to say. But I think we're very close to making the announcement."

Ms. Conner's face brightened. "It'll be great to get our poorer clients better services." She reached out and shook Paige's hand again. "It was a pleasure to meet you." She seemed like she was uncomfortable, like there was something more she wanted to say, but didn't quite know how to say it. "Uh, if you don't mind my asking," she began, "are you one of the clients hosting a baby?"

Paige smiled, while Rachel laughed. "No, ma'am," Paige answered. "This one is mine. But my first one was a hosted baby." She saw Ms. Connor's eyes widen at her answer. "And I've already signed a contract to host another baby."

"I take it you _like_ being pregnant."

Paige laughed. "Not all of it. But bringing a baby into the world makes me feel ... special. Like I'm part of a miracle."

"I'd guess you're about seven months along?"

Paige gave Rachel a quick, knowing glance. "Actually, closer to eight. The staff does everything they can to make sure we stay in shape."

After Rachel showed Ms. Connor to the lobby, she returned to the conference room. "Pregnancy agrees with you," she said as she sat down, eliciting another blush from Paige. "Now, what did you want to talk about?"

Paige drew a deep breath to steady herself. "I was hoping ... that I could talk you into letting me have my baby here, with the doctors and staff I know."

Rachel laughed aloud. "Your timing couldn't be more perfect!" she roared. "After that meeting, how on earth would I say no to your request?"

"There's something else I need to talk to you about," Paige added, her voice hesitant.

"What's up?" Rachel said, sitting back in her chair.

"I ... I had a job interview for an internship at Channel 2," Paige said bluntly.

"Good for you!" Rachel said with genuine enthusiasm. "That sounds like a very good career step."

Paige's jaw dropped. "But ....?" She didn't know quite how to continue, or to say what she was thinking.

Rachel, however, knew what was on Paige's mind. "Paige," she began, her voice warm and sympathetic, "I really like working with you. We _all_ like working with you. You've brought so much to our team. The videos you've produced are outstanding. We'd love to have you stay with us. But it wouldn't be fair to you."

Paige's eyes widened at Rachel's words. "Not fair to me?"

Rachel shook her head sadly. "We're not specialists in audiovisual productions. We've got a few projects — enough to keep you busy on a part-time basis. But you need to think about something that's a full-time job, especially since you're going to be a single mother."

"I ... I thought you'd be disappointed," Paige said sadly, suddenly feeling a little rejected again.

"I _am_ unhappy that you'll be working somewhere else," Rachel said to reassure the girl. "But if I kept you around here, it wouldn't be fair to you. It'd be selfish of me. But you're not leaving our little family. You're still living with Beth, and as an alumnus of the program, you're always welcome here. Plus," she added with a twinkle in her eye, "you _did_ sign a second contract, and I'm not going to let you forget about that — or us!"

Paige's worried features eased as she listened to Rachel. "I hadn't thought of it that way." Suddenly, leaving the clinic didn't seem quite so ominous.

**********

Paige wasn't really looking around as she strode into the soup and salad restaurant for lunch. It was close to the television station, and thus a popular eatery. Being in the downtown area, it was also quite popular with many other people.

She walked directly to the salad bar, put a plate on a tray, and began to create her usual salad. She was startled when someone bumped her elbow. She looked up, surprised, and ready to apologize if she'd inadvertently been the offender.

"Oh, I'm sorry," the woman who'd bumped into her said. Her eyes widened slightly as she noticed Paige's round, very pregnant belly, and she continued. "I'm so sorry. I wasn't watching what I was doing."

"That's okay," Paige said, feeling a knot form in her stomach. She recognized the woman who'd hit her — the woman's name was Maggie Franklin. It was her sister. Paige forced herself to remain calm, using some mental relaxation techniques that she'd learned at the clinic. "This place gets pretty busy at lunch, so it's inevitable that these things happen."

The woman nodded, appreciative that Paige was understanding, but then her brow furrowed. She stared at Paige for several awkward seconds. Finally, she shook her head, as if trying to rid herself of distracting thoughts. "I'm sorry," she apologized again. "I didn't mean to stare at you."

Paige shrugged. "It's okay." Inward, she was battling against panic. If anyone would recognize her, it would be her immediate family. She knew, at least intellectually, that such recognition would be impossible, but her imagination was trying to run wild.

"It's just ... you remind me of someone."

"Oh?" Paige asked, struggling to sound merely curious and not panicked.

"This is going to sound silly," the woman said, "but in a way, you remind me of my little brother."

Paige's heart was in her throat. Did Maggie recognize her? She knew it wasn't likely, that there was some general facial similarity that Maggie had keyed on. "Really?" She forced a smile and a tiny giggle. "I didn't think anyone would mistake someone like me," she looked down and simultaneously patted her belly, "for a boy."

Maggie shook her head. "I know it's ridiculous. It's just that, sometimes I think I see his face wherever I go." She smiled, but it was a forlorn, sad smile. "I miss him." She was obviously reminiscing about something; her thoughts were miles — or years — away. "I'm sorry to bother you," she said. She picked up her tray and walked to the cashier station.

Paige watched her walk away. Her heart slowed, and the sense of pressure in her chest eased. A year ago, she'd have had a full-fledged panic attack. In fact, she had, and that was with a former friend, not a family member. Now, she'd bumped into her sister, who hadn’t recognized her. She smiled to herself as she thought about the progress she'd made, and the difference that a little cosmetic surgery had done for her self-confidence and sense of security.

At the same time, Paige's mind was racing. Her sister seemed genuinely sad, like she really _did_ miss Pete. After all she — and Chuck — had done to Pete, how could they possibly miss him? She was left with a lot to consider as she finished assembling her salad.

**********

"You're fully dilated," Tina said to Paige, who was lying in the bed. Beth stood at Paige's bedside, wiping her forehead occasionally to mop up the beads of sweat from her contractions. "This one is going faster than your first one."

"Good!" Paige grunted as a contraction eased.

Out of habit, Deb had started to unfold the screen which, in normal deliveries in this hospital, would keep the host mother from ever seeing the baby.

"We don't need that this time, Deb," Tina said with a chuckle.

Beneath her mask, it was still possible to see that Deb's cheeks were red. "Habit, I guess." She quickly refolded the screen and shoved it out of the way.

"On the next contraction, I want you to push," Tina directed.

Paige nodded, a half-smile on her face. "I've been fighting the urge to push for the last hour." She turned her head to look at Beth. "Thanks for being here for me," she said.

Beth smiled and wiped Paige's forehead again. She could see how refreshing the cool cloth was to the girl. "I wouldn't be anywhere else," Beth assured Paige.

Another contraction came, and Tina nodded to Deb. "Okay, now push. Just like last time. When the contraction eases ...."

"I know - don't relax the muscles," Paige panted as she gasped for a quick breath.

Deb smiled at Beth and Tina, an expression unseen beneath the surgical masks. "It's so much easier when the patients are trained."

"That doesn't make it ... any easier ... to not relax!" Paige protested.

A bit later, the contraction ended, and Paige let her head flop back on her pillow. Beth wiped her forehead again with one hand. She was a little surprised at how strong Paige was clasping her other hand during the contractions.

Two contractions later, Tina announced that the baby was crowning. On the second contraction after that, Paige felt a sudden release of pressure, and she collapsed back onto the bed. As soon as Deb had squeegeed the baby's mouth and nose, and given him a quick wipe, she carried the tiny baby boy to Paige, who reached up, almost in awe, and took the baby from Deb's hands.

Tears of joy poured from Paige's eyes as she held her little boy. She was barely aware of anyone else in the room as she stared into the tiny baby's eyes. "I'm never, ever going to let anyone hurt you," she cooed to the baby. "Never. You're too precious."

Beth smiled as she watched Paige holding her newborn son. She was reminded of a time, long ago, when she'd been in the same position as Paige was now. "He's beautiful."

Deb was busy with paperwork. She knew she'd have to do some quick tests on the baby as soon as Paige had a few moments to hold him. She glanced up at Paige, suddenly confused at something. "Um," she began hesitantly, "have you decided on a name for the birth certificate?" she asked Paige. "Normally, we put Baby John Doe or Baby Jane Doe, with a number. But I don't think you want that."

Paige smiled at her son, and then looked up, staring Beth in the eyes with the look of a grateful daughter looking at her mother. "Michael," she said firmly. "Michael John Fulton."

Beth, whose own eyes had been watering, began to cry openly when she heard the name. Paige had given her baby. She leaned over to hug Paige, and the new baby. "Thank you," she blubbered to Paige. "Thank you."

Paige smiled, crying just as much as Beth. "No. I need to thank _you_ for everything you've done for me. You’ve always been there for me, through thick and thin. I wanted to give you something. I couldn't think of a better way to honor you and your son than by giving _my_ son his name."

In the background, both Tina and Deb felt their own eyes watering at a scene that they almost never saw.

**********

"You better run — you'll be late for work!" Beth called from the kitchen. She was waiting for her breakfast — an English muffin — to finish toasting.

Paige strode from her room, carrying her son. As soon as she set him in his high chair, she buttoned her blouse. "Some mornings, Michael would rather play than eat," she said, shaking her head while smiling. "He's just a little character."

"I've noticed," Beth replied. At that moment, the English muffin popped out of the toaster. "Do you want this? I can fix another one."

Paige smiled. "I didn't think I'd get anything for breakfast today," she said. She waited for Beth to finish buttering it and placing the halves together in a napkin.

"See you after work tonight?" Paige asked. "Or have you got the mid shift?"

"I've got nights for the rest of the week, so I'll watch him. I'll take a nap while Michael is taking his, so I'm not exhausted. But next week, you'll have to drop him off at daycare — I've got the day shift for about three weeks."

Paige shook her head. "I'll have to get on them again about feeding him," she said with a sigh. "I spend all this time pumping, and then they misplace his milk in their refrigerator."

"Speaking of which, don't forget your pump," Beth added.

"Oh, yeah." Paige took a bag off the counter and slung it over her shoulder. "You know, if I had a car, it'd save me about ten minutes on bus transfers every day. Plus, I wouldn't have to schedule my life around the busses."

"And deal with the expenses, like insurance, gas, maintenance, parking, ...."

"You're trying to scare me again," Paige said with a chuckle.

"You should be used to it," Beth said with a grin. "I've got a couple of errands to run, so Michael and I will swing by the drivers' license office and get a book for you to study."

"More studying?" Paige said in mock exasperation. "Will I ever be done studying?"

"At least you've got your degree. Now shoo, before you miss your bus!"

Paige bent down and gave Michael a kiss on the forehead. "You be a good little boy today. Mommy will be home after work, so Nana will take care of you today." She straightened and walked to the door, pausing at the last moment. "His milk is ...."

"In the freezer. Use the older bags first. Yes, I know. Now get moving!"

Paige smiled. "Bye. See you after work." She pulled the door shut behind her and scampered down the stairs to the ground floor. As she exited the apartment building, she saw a bus pulling up to the stop. She had to dash to get on it before the doors shut. She smiled to herself. Life was a bit hectic, but it was worth it.

**********

Paige pushed the apartment door open quietly. She never knew when Michael or Beth would be sleeping, and it was best to not disturb them if they were taking a nap. She glanced around the room as she pushed the door shut with her foot. She didn't see either Beth or Michael in the kitchen or living room, so she figured they were in the bedrooms napping. She'd noticed that Beth's car was in her parking spot, so she knew they were at home.

The first thing Paige did was to slide her breast pump bag off her shoulder onto the counter. She opened the top, and extracted a couple of bags of milk and an ice pack. After checking to ensure the bags were properly sealed, she put the milk and the ice pack into the freezer.

Paige crept quietly to her bedroom, and smiled when she saw Beth lying on her bed, asleep near Michael's crib. She was lucky — Beth was so giving of her time to Michael; it was almost like he was her own child.

After slipping out of her shoes, Paige quietly went back to the kitchen and got out some pans. She was humming to herself, cooking dinner for the two of them.

"What's for dinner?" Beth said in a sleepy voice, surprising Paige. She hadn't heard Beth getting up.

"It's called spaghetti a la putanesca," Paige said. "It's a pretty easy dish."

"It smells delicious." Beth sat down on a barstool at the counter which separated the kitchen from the living room. "How was work?"

"Good," Paige said with a smile. "It's really busy, but it's fun. And Steve took me out to lunch."

"Oh? "

"Yeah."

"Is he getting serious?"

Paige shook her head. "No. I know he has a lot of trouble with my ... past, and my change. I think he's still afraid his family wouldn't accept me, too."

"That's too bad. He seems pretty nice."

Paige shrugged. "I like him, but as a friend. I'm not ready to settle down. I'm happy now, and I want to just enjoy it."

Beth smiled at that. She, too, really liked having Paige and Michael around the apartment.

"I think he wants to take Michael and me to the park Sunday, so he can spend time with Michael."

"That sounds like fun."

"I figured I'd pack a picnic lunch."

"I'm working Sunday, so that'll work out." Beth sounded a little disappointed, almost like she was jealous of Steve spending time with Paige and Michael.

"When we have the same work shift, we'll plan a day out for the three of us." She stepped around the counter and gave Beth a hug — an awkward maneuver given Beth's sitting position and the spoon in Paige's hand.

Practically as soon as Paige hugged Beth, a baby's crying sounded from Paige's bedroom.

"Someone's jealous of not getting all the attention," Beth quipped.

"He's probably hungry, too." Paige handed the spoon to Beth. "The sauce only has to cook for another minute or two, and then as soon as the noodles are cooked, we can eat. I better go take care of the fussy one before he gets too loud."

In a couple of minutes, she was back, carrying her son. She sat down at one of the chairs at the dining table, and with a grace born of practice, unbuttoned her blouse with one hand while she held her son. A simple catch freed her breast, and she gently placed Michael to her nipple, where he latched on immediately and began to feed. Paige sighed with contentment.

"I _did_ tell you that it would be possible for me to help out, didn't I?" Beth asked as she stirred the sauce.

"Yes, you told me all about the induced lactation thing, and how you'd be happy to help with feeding Michael. And I appreciate the thought," Paige added, "but it's not necessary. Besides, if you did, you'd have to pump, too, and that might be awkward while you're on-shift."

"Remember, I'll do anything I can for you and Michael," Beth reminded Paige. "Oh, by the way, Rachel asked if you've decided when you're going to do your second. You _did_ sign a contract, remember?"

"Tell her I haven't forgotten. I figured I'd feed Michael for at least six months, and if I started to prepare for hosting another baby, it'd mess up my milk production." She looked down at the sweet, innocent baby in her arms. "It wouldn't hurt to earn a little extra money. I can start setting aside something for his college, and maybe for a family vacation when he's a little older. Maybe the three of us can go to Disney World or something like that?"

Beth smiled. "I think that would be fun." Her face suddenly got a far off, happy look.

"What?" Paige asked, looking up a little startled by the sudden mood change.

Beth shook her head and smiled. "I was just thinking how much different you are from the frightened little boy who came to live with me two years ago. I have a hard time believing you're the same person."

"I'm not, you know," Paige replied. "I've changed so much — and not just my outside. Thanks to some good friends, I think I'm happier now than I've ever been."

"I can tell."

"Even though it's hectic being a single mom, just like you said, I wouldn't ...." Her voice trailed off as she got a far-off look in her eyes, followed by a contented smile.

"What?"

"Funny — I was about to say exactly what Tommi told me over a year ago. I asked her if it was all worth it. She said she wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Now I know what she meant. I wouldn't trade this — you, Michael, my changes — for anything in the world." She smiled and stepped close to Beth. "I love you," she said as she wrapped her arms around Beth, "Mom."

**********

Operation Rescue: In Plain Sight - Epilogue
(Fin?)

up
194 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awesome story

revolution's picture

I really enjoyed this story. was very easy to relate to the character. Great job capturing the main characters feelings and responses after going through what her family put her through.

Just wondering, Is there an epilogue? Does she ever confront her family in person?

Awesome story!

Yay!

So yes, there a few plot points like if she will ever speak to her family again along with finding her Prince Charming, but she has reached that summit of being happy and fulfilled. what a great closing line. "Love you, Mom."
Hugs
Grover

Great story

Renee_Heart2's picture

Even though this IS a good stopping point there ARE a few loose ends to tie up. Her family is the biggest one & when Page meet her sister at the salad & soup bar at lunch time. Well she TELL her family EVERYTHING... & I mean EVERYTHING or will she not tell them anything & keep them wondering? Those points I fell need to be tied up before the end.

This IS a great story though

Love Samantha Renee Heart

There IS an epilogue

elrodw's picture

Which I will post tomorrow. It ties up a bit, but not completely or perfectly. Life isn't perfect, after all.

Imagination is more important than knowledge
A. Einstein

wonderful story, thank you!

I hope eventually she re-connects with her family, though.

DogSig.png

Thank you

For an excellent story that I really enjoyed reading. You are a very good writer.

Michele

Nice Work

A compelling story, a beautifully realised and fully rounded central character, an excellent supporting cast and a skilfully paced narrative.

Not usually my kind of tale at all, but I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

It's understandable

I wanted Paige to make up with her family as much as I wanted mine to make up with me. It looks like neither will happen, and that is part of life. I can understand Paige not wanting to get back into what had to be a dysfunctional mess.

Thanks for the lovely story.

Gwendolyn

This story was really

This story was really beautiful, elrod.
The characters were relatable; the plot was easy to follow; and it was written clearly and concisely.

But more than that it had that special quality to it which made me just start reading and not stop, even if I have not yet read the first Operation Rescue story.

If you decided to push on for another couple of chapters I would be interested in the family situation (well, both of them) developing further; and seeing how paige gets on with her career (wouldn't it be just her luck to have her family recognise her as he new newsreader? )....

But again, thank you for a wonderful story which ended on such a sweet note.

Xx
Amy

Some left

Jamie Lee's picture

Paige still has trouble understanding she's not being rejected when Rachel and the others want her to spread her wings. Even after Rachel's explanation, Paige took it, at first, as being rejected. This may be something she'll continue to battle far into her life.

Paige's reaction at seeing, and speaking to, her sister is a grand improvement from her reaction the first time she went to the mall be herself. She has come a long way in her emotional progress.

Her seeing her mom, and insights she received afterwards, and bumping into her sister, and that she's actually thinking about them, makes one wonder if there won't come a time when she'll decide it time to face her family. It may be some time coming, but the hints are there.

Naming her baby after Beth's son was such a loving gesture. After all Beth has done for her, what else could Paige do for Beth which would show the love Paige has towards Beth?

With each new chapter this story just keeps getting better and better.

Others have feelings too.