Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2234

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2234
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I woke feeling exhausted and my eyelids were all stuck together, my lashes matted through the tears which had dried as I slept. It took me a few moments to work out where I was–in Sammi’s room. Then I remembered my hissy fit and felt a little ashamed of myself, but I was really hurt by Sammi’s lack of confidence in me. Then given my behaviour last night, perhaps she was justified in keeping me in the dark. A schoolgirl she calls Mummy, when she calls me anything.

My body groaned as I got out of bed and I felt like getting back into its warmth again. However, I stayed up and did a few stretches and then went and showered. The warming waters of the shower refreshed my aching muscles and by the time I’d dried myself I almost felt awake.

I went to the girl’s bedroom and woke them. They had class parties today and I made them rise and shower themselves while I went downstairs and sorted out the food they’d asked David to make for them. I made up three parcels of assorted cakes, sandwiches and desserts. By the time they’d dressed and come downstairs for me to do their hair I’d all but sorted their party foods.

“You woke me up shouting at Daddy last night,” complained Trish.

“I’m sorry, darling, I lost my temper with him.” That was a lie, I lost my temper with Sammi, but he was closer.

“I came to look for you but you’d gone...” she broke down in tears.

“I was still here, but I needed to be on my own for a bit, sweetheart.”

“I thought you’d left us,” she sobbed.

“I promised you I’d never do that.”

“Don’t go away, will you, Mummy?” she clung to me like a limpet and within what seemed like moments, I had three of them hanging on to me and crying. I felt so stressed that I wanted to shout at them to leave me alone, but I didn’t. These were all damaged children, all rejected by others fearing that I was going to reject them as well. The mixture of emotions I felt was indescribable but there was a fair amount of shame there amongst the compassion and love I had for these young women.

I knelt down and we all hugged in one weeping mass and I promised them again that I would never leave them or ask them to leave. Goodness what had I said to Simon last night about Sammi? I felt the blush start somewhere near the soles of me feet and race up through my body. I prayed he hadn’t left for work.

Calming the children down, I got them some breakfast and once they were settled I ran upstairs as if the place was on fire and burst into the bedroom. Simon was snuggled up with Cate and Lizzie. “Thank god,” I said and picked up the two babies then bent over and kissed him.

“Eh, what time is it?” he asked rubbing his eyes.

“Seven o’clock,” I replied kissing him again.

“What’s that for?” he asked yawning.

“For being you.”

“I’m me every day, how come I don’t get one then?”

“I’m sorry for what I said and did last night.” I said my eyes filling with tears.

“I should think so.”

I felt about six inches tall, tears ran down my face dripping onto the two little ones.

“Only way I could get the little buggers to sleep was to have them in bed with me. I was awake half the night worried I’d roll over and squash them.”

“You make a lovely father, better than I am as a mother.”

He got out of bed and put his arms around the three of us. “You’re a good mother, never believe or let anyone tell you otherwise. You get a bit overwrought, which is what I guessed happened last night. I suspect having Danni end up in hospital was the last straw.”

“No, Sammi not telling me about her new house was the last straw.”

“She hasn’t got one yet. She’s just thinking about it.”

“I still felt hurt that she hadn’t talked to me about it.”

“I’m sure she will when she comes home assuming you want her here.”

“It’s her home.”

He smiled, “I’m glad to hear that, c’mon let’s get some brekkies.”

When we got downstairs one of the girls had put the radio on and the music was James Horner’s, For the love of a princess from Braveheart. “I love this music,” I said smiling.

“What is it?” he asked and I explained what it was. “The music’s better than the film was. I got asked dozens of times if I wore much woad these days.”

I smirked.

“It’s not bloody funny, sodding Mel Gibson,” he muttered.

I rubbed his back, “I’ll wear the war paint then, shall I?”

“Yeah, it looks better on you.”

I put my arms round him and kissed him.

“Get a room you two,” said Stella’s voice as she came up behind us.

“We’ve got one, what are you doing in it?” Simon threw back at her.

“Oh, pardon me for breathing.”

By this time the girls had finished their breakfast and were giggling at the antics of the two siblings. I left Jacquie to feed Cate and Lizzie, while I sorted the girl’s hair, putting it into simple ponytails with green scrunchies after brushing it.

It was raining when we carried our precious cargoes out to the car and laid them carefully in the boot. The drive to school was awful, the world and wife were on the roads and they had a car each. The rain sheeted down and the day felt even more grey than the fifty shades some stupid woman wrote a book about.

We only just made registration on time with my nerves in shreds as we all trotted to the school holding plates or dishes of very fragile comestibles. I checked what time they were to be collected and told them I’d be there. It would clash with hospital visiting but I could get someone else to go this afternoon and I’d see the two girls later during evening visiting.

On the way home I nipped into Asda and bought each of the two invalids a new nightdress, I hoped they’d like them. I’d gift wrap them and whoever went could have the pleasure of presenting them with their presents, gifting them their gifts or whatever.

I was surprised to see Simon was still at home, he was working from his laptop in my study. “Is that safe?” I nodded at his computer.

“It hasn’t blown up yet.”

“No, I meant the data.”

“It’s all encrypted.”

“Oh, tea?”

“Coffee if that’s okay?”

“Course. Are you home all day?”

“Yeah, why?”

I thought I could have asked him the same question. “That’s nice, I have to collect the girls from school at three, so could you visit the two in hospital?”

He looked up at me as if working something out. “Yeah, I could do.”

“I’ve got a new nightie for each of them, if you could take those in I’d be grateful.”

“Sure, but why can’t you take them later?”

“Nah, I’ll wrap them you can take them–oh can you see if they have any washing?”

“Yes–anything else?” he sighed.

“Yes, give me a kiss.”

“Now you’re talking...”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Glad The Crises Are Over

littlerocksilver's picture

At least for a little while. It's time for the new girls to be recovering.

Portia

Roller coaster.

Emotional, that is.

Still lovin' it.

Thanks.

Bevs.

x

Merry Christmas if you celebrate that sort of thing. xxx Well anyway, enjoy the break if you can.

bev_1.jpg

Interesting to see Simon with the babies

Wonder if Cathy will apologize to Sammi event though Sammi won't even know what happened.

What a statement.... "These were all damaged children, all rejected by others fearing that I was going to reject them as well." I suppose that the feelings never really go away. I guess Cathy should be able to understand that considering her own continuing insecurity.

I'll bet Sammi apologizes to Cathy

Isn't Simon going to visit Sammi? Won't he likely discuss Cathy's feelings about Sammi with Sammi? Simon is not likely to let any turmoil remain. He is a good husband and father even though he is a bloke.

Much Love,

Valerie R

I love your descriptions

"The world and wife were on the road and they each had a car."

I love Bike and most of the rest of you writing.

Much Love,

Valerie R

I'm glad

Podracer's picture

that Cathy's implosion wasn't as extreme as it might have been. Still those firecracker emotions though. I wish she could redirect them somewhere harmless.

"Reach for the sun."

Thank goodness

for that, It seems the nights sleep achieved what i and i am sure many others hoped for.... Peace is restored and with a little luck it may even last over Christmas, That is if Trish gets whatever she needs for her future plans.... What ever they maybe...

Seems though that Simon might get an early Christmas present, Hopefully he does not think that causing a repeat of last night will result in a repeat of tonight, He might be sadly disappointed...

Kirri