A night to be yourself

Printer-friendly version

Edited by Djkauf

What do you do when you really want to go out as the girl you know you are, but also want to go out with your friends? Meet Mason, a young boy in a similar situation.

Mason stood in his bedroom, looking over what he had laid out for the night. He was taking a mighty leap of faith that everything could work out. He hadn’t seen his Dad in weeks, not since his mother had kicked him out of the house. The past was catching up to Mason still and he was still getting used to his mother being okay with his new dreams and wishes. He was still getting used to it himself.

He had kept it hidden from himself for years, after his kindergarten teacher had called his parents to tell them that Mason’s dream, when he grew up, was to be a girl. That had started the several years of hell, in which his father did his best to make him into a man. After one bad spanking, over a doll he had gotten from a cousin, Mason had begun to repress those feelings. He shoved them in a hole and never looked back.

That was behind him now. The past had been revealed to him again and now that his father was gone, his mother was letting him dress any way he wanted, in the house. She had allowed Halloween as well, mostly because every kid seemed to be wearing something different. So Mason could dress as the girl he wanted to be and be out on the street at the same time.

So he had come up with the idea to dress in a group theme with his friends, and take the girl’s costume. Scooby doo was still making his rounds of popularity, so Mason saw his chance. One of his friends, Garrett, was gone with parents, so that left him with two other friends. Zack and Lee. Of those two, only Zack knew of his wish to be a girl. In fact, he was aware that Zack held a secret himself. Zack was gay or at least he thought he was. Lee on the other hand, he always seemed to be mellow. He was the laid back one of their group. Rarely getting angry, almost never teasing anyone, unless it was during a video game victory. But then, this seemed to be a trait he got from his parents. Both of Lee’s parents were laid back, in fact, Mason couldn’t recall any time when they had yelled at Lee for any reason.

Mason was also a part of the nerd herd. Zack, Garrett and Lee rounded out his small part of the herd. They did everything together. Video games, board games, movies, anything fun like that. Mason had known them for years, since the second grade, but he only trusted Zack with his biggest of secrets.

There was a knock on the door and a young male voice called out from the other side. “Hey, you ready in there?”

Mason smiled and turned to face the door. “Yeah, Zack. Come on in.”

The door opened up and a teen boy, wearing a green shirt and brown pants. He wore a brown wig and had a patch of fake hair on his chin. “Zoinks!” He said, in a voice that sounded like Shaggy, from the cartoons, as he stepped in and saw his friend, wearing an orange sweater and a reddish orange skirt. He had large fake glasses and a medium brown wig.

“Jenkies!” Mason said as he smiled brightly, but then the smile faded.

“Hey, what’s up?” Zack asked.

“You really think Lee won’t mind this?” Mason asked.

“Lee knows you were going with one of the Scooby Doo kids, and he got Freddie. So that leaves Shaggy or the girls.”

“And you think he’ll be fine with....this? Mason gestured to himself with one hand.

“Mason, relax. Lee could care less. Face it, between him and Garrett, you could tell him and I doubt he’d care.” Zack said.

“Kids?!?” Mason’s mother called from the living room. “It’s almost time! Lets get going so we can pick up Lee!”

“Come on Mason. I’ll protect you.” Zack said with a smile. “And think of it. One night where you can be a girl and no one will know that this is the real you.”

“Well, not Velma.....” Mason said with a chuckle. “But close.....”

“I know.” Zack hugged him. “Come on, let’s go. I hear free candy calling.”

The drive to Lee’s home was quick, only a few miles away. And when they got there, Lee’s mother met Mason’s mother at the door. The adults all came outside to talk. Lee’s parents seen Mason and they smiled and waved. Somehow they seemed to know about Mason, but never really said anything. Which was fine to him. But for right now, He was too scared to leave the car, so he just nodded and waved back. Zack got out to see if Lee was ready yet.

Zack ran to Lee’s door and knocked, then he waited and a moment later, it opened and another boy, about his age, stepped out, this one dressed as Freddie from Scooby Doo. Zack led him back to the car, while his parents talked with Mason’s mother really quick.

His friends slid into the car, Zack taking the middle of the back and leaving Lee by the door. Lee looked over and could see Mason looking worried about something. He pushed a pack over the back of the passenger’s seat. Part two of the nights plan was a sleepover and he brought a pack with games, movies and clothes.

Lee smiled at his friend. “Hey...Nice Velma costume, Mason.” He wanted to ask what was wrong, but he was sure it was from the costume, so he didn’t want to push too hard.

“Thanks.” Mason blushed again, then he crossed his legs, aware that the skirt was short enough and the way he was sitting, his legs were on display.

“So, where are we going?” Lee asked.

“Other side of town, so no one should know Mason.” Zack replied.

Lee leaned back into the seat and pulled out a handheld game system from a pocket. “So how did you get left with Velma?”

Before Mason could reply, Zack filled in with a good lie. “Mason and I were deciding on which to go with and we both wanted Shaggy. We decided to roll dice, highest number won. I won. So he went with something that was easy.”

“Easy?” Lee asked, taking a moment to look at Mason. “Looks like a lot of work to me.”

“Glasses. My cousin had a sweater and the skirt, so we threw it all together.” Zack said. “Better than trying to make a Daphne costume.” They knew that Mason was self conscious about his weight. Sure, he wasn’t a blimp, but they knew he felt like it. So
Zack knew that Velma was closer to his body size and would be better than trying to slip into a dress too many sizes too small.

“I guess. What with the long wig and the tight dresses.” Lee said with a shrug.

“So. Think this should be our last year?” Mason managed to ask, trying to keep the subject off of his clothing.

Lee shrugged as he flipped on the power to his game. “Maybe. I mean Zack will be thirteen next Halloween and we’re getting older.....”

“Yeah, but free candy.” Zack said. “Free candy!”

“But we’d look silly when we’re in high school.” Mason said.

“But that’s not for a year or two.” Lee stated.

“True.” Zack and Mason both replied. Mason’s mother got back in the car.

She looked over the seat at them. “Okay. Are we ready?”

“Yeah!” Lee and Zack exclaimed, but Mason was a bit more subdued, he just nodded.

“And after you’re both staying at my place for the night?” Mason’s mother asked again.

“Yeah.” The other two boys nodded.

“Well, then, lets get going!” Mason’s mother said as she put the car in reverse.

~o~O~o~

It had taken several houses to get over his fears, but as they were headed to a second street, he began to play up the Velma role, as no one around them knew that he was really not a girl. With each house they went to, his confidence slowly built and each house, his voice filled with a bit of excitement, while asking for the candy. He wanted this more, not the candy, but the feeling of everyone treating him like a girl.

This feeling was like a drug and he was enjoying every last second of it.

--SEPARATOR--

Originally I had Mason being used in a writing SIMM and had been thinking of dusting him/her off again, but for now, I wanted to join the contest.

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'd have read somthing else if it wasn't for ...

Sammi's picture

... those medling kids!!!

lovely story, I hope Mason doesn't lose Garrett and Lee as friends when they find out.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Kudos for comments

Your comment made me look for the Kudo button...

so the only question is

would Garett have made a better Scooby or Daphne?
nicely done, thanks

= D

Extravagance's picture

A delicious little Scooby Snack. ^_^

When Maisie gets hormone therapy, it'll be Scooby BOOBY Doo. = )

Catfolk Pride.PNG

So I'm at work as I read this

Raff01's picture

So I'm at work as I read this comment, in the back break room, drinking my water. Thank you, now I have water all over the table and coworkers wondering what is wrong with me.

At least

no suggested she come as Scooby! :)
Hugs
Grover

that

Raff01's picture

Was never a question. There would have been a big fight over Fred and Shaggy for the boys.

thankfully

Scrappy was nowhere to be seen!! Gosh I despised that little dog more than any other from contemporary cartoons.

Good story, will it ever be continued?

Xx
Amy

Puppy power! Sorry I had

Raff01's picture

Puppy power!

Sorry I had too. I hated him too, ruined the cartoon. Loved how the live action movie made him evil

Not sure if I will expand on this. I have stuff, but it is old and in need of work. I did this one to enter the contest, but Mason May ride again

:D

In an age of flower-power and investigative-non-journalism puppy power was the last thing we wanted... ;)

Then again, I was watching the cartoons in the 90's, so they were hardly contemporaneous.

Well I now plan on reading more of your fine offerings in the future...

Is this where I pretend to be demanding and crack my invisible whip?

xx
Amy