Angels and Demons part 33

Printer-friendly version


Angels and Demons part 33
By
Morpheus

I watched with a grim expression as they hooked the demon queen up to a Chinook helicopter so she could be hauled away. She was near dead, had been dosed with enough tranquilizers to kill an elephant, had been chained up and then sealed in tight plastic wrappings, but I was still extremely nervous.

“I guess I’ll see you back at base,” Gene told me, giving me an awkward hug. It was difficult to do better than that though when he was still wearing that biohazard gear.

“Later,” I told him before he rushed off to join his squad in their helicopter.

Then I went to my sisters, all three of whom were injured. I’d escaped the fight with nothing more than a couple bruises and felt just a little guilty about getting off so easy. Of course, they would heal from their injuries while others had died…or been infected with the demon strain. That soldier would probably be better off if he had died, though I’d done my best to patch him up anyway.

Nicole shook her head and muttered, “How was she controlling those other demons…” She looked to Rebecca, “You saw her giving them orders…and they just acted like her pets or something.”

“Maybe they instinctively recognize her as the mother of their species,” Rebecca answered with a shrug. “I don’t know. Maybe she actually is their mother and they hatched from her eggs.”

I thought about it for a moment and said, “I’m guessing pheromones.”

“What?” Nicole asked, giving me a curious look.

“Demons are like hyper-aggressive wild animals,” I explained. “Most of them seem to be driven on pure animal instinct. I’m guessing our demon queen has some kind of pheromone that works on their primitive instincts. Maybe it triggers their instincts to recognize her as their mother or pack leader.”

“Makes sense to me,” Rebecca said, giving me a thoughtful look. “Maybe if we can figure out how she does it, we can figure out how to control the demons.”

“Yeah,” Dani added with a chuckle. “It will be a lot easier of we can just make them stand still and let us kill them.”

“Or make cans of demon repellent,” Nicole added.

I nodded at that, then realized that we didn’t have much time. “I guess I’ll see you girls back at Heaven,” I told my sisters, giving Nicole a hug but being very gentle because of her ribs.

“Too bad there isn’t enough room for you to ride with us,” Rebecca said, glancing at the infected soldier who was riding with them as if wishing he’d leave to make room for me.

I just gave a weak chuckle at that. “Well, we lost our chopper and have to make do with where they can fit us in.” I looked to Julie, who was riding with my sisters. I gave my soon to be sister a reassuring grin and told her, “You take care of them.”

“Will do,” Julie responded.

“Go,” Dani said, pointing to the helicopter I’d been assigned to ride in. Then in a bad Austrian accent, she exclaimed, “Get to the choppa…”

I laughed at that, then gave Dani and Rebecca each a quick hug. “I’ll see you guys back home,” I said, turning and running to my helicopter.

I was eager to get out of Hell Town, as was everyone else. After all, not only could there still be a few demons hiding in the tunnels, but there were some planes coming to bomb the town flat...AGAIN. This time, they were going to covering a wider area and use some bunker busters to make sure nothing could survive by hiding in the tunnels and mines. I’d even overheard Captain Brooks muttering something about how he wished they’d just use a tactical nuke and get it over with.

One by one, the helicopters began to lift off and depart. When the Chinook that was carrying the demon queen began to rise, the queen somehow awoke enough to let out a loud shriek. I winced at that, cursing the fact that we hadn’t used even more tranquilizer on her. But on a second consideration, I cursed the fact that we hadn’t finished putting her down, orders from on high or not.

My helicopter was the last one to take off, but as we were doing so I heard someone calling out over the radio, “Holy shit… We’ve got demons coming out of the woodworks down there. That snake bitch must be calling them.”

I looked out the window and saw that demons were emerging from the outer edges of the devastation, probably having hidden in the tunnels and mines. There were probably about a dozen of the demons total, though I wasn’t concerned. We were already in the air and the bombs would take care of them soon enough. This time there would be no escape for the monsters.

“Oh shit,” the pilot of my helicopter blurted out. “I think we’ve got a flyer…”

“Oh shit,” I repeated, frantically looking out the window until I saw it, a flying demon that looked something like a humanoid pterodactyl. And it was flying right towards us, probably because we were the closest helicopter

“Hold on tight,” the pilot called back to me and the soldiers I was riding with. “This may get rough…”

The pilot tried maneuvering the helicopter, but the demon was able to change direction too. I was sure that a helicopter would be able to easily outmaneuver a demon, but a moment later there was an impact that shook the entire helicopter. My heart jumped in my chest and I struggled to get another look out the window so I could see what was going on. But then, we suddenly began to fall.

“It hit the rotor,” the pilot called out as the helicopter tumbled out of control, once again captured by the power of gravity.

There were voices coming over the radio, but the only one I could clearly make out was the voice of one of my sisters screaming, “MONICA!”

Seconds later, everything exploded into pain and chaos. The helicopter hit the ground and rolled several times while everything that hadn’t been strapped down was thrown around at random, smashing into me and everyone else inside. Somehow, I remained conscious through the entire ordeal, though I wasn’t sure how.

I had no idea how long I remained where I was, feeling dazed and in agony. Once my head cleared enough, I undid my seat belt and began pulling myself out. I winced with each motion, sure that I’d busted my ribs and leg. My shoulder hurt like hell too, and then there was the fact that I had a ringing headache and could only see out of one eye. My body armor had probably protected me from being hurt even worse than I was, though I now wished that I’d still been wearing my helmet as well.

“Guys,” I gasped, trying to look at the other people in there with me.

The helicopter was filled with blood and broken bodies. Only one of them was moving at all and he was moaning. From the look of him, he’d been injured nearly as badly as I was.

I groaned, caught between the desire to help him and the need to help myself. But after taking a closer look at him, I wasn’t sure that I could safely remove him from his seat without doing more damage. I couldn’t safely move myself either so that meant we’d have to wait for a rescue.

When I tried calling out on my radio, it was completely dead. I winced at that, wondering if one of the other radios was still working. It wasn’t likely that all of them had gotten busted in the crash.

“At least we weren’t too high up,” I muttered, knowing that this could have been worse if the demon hadn’t hit us so quickly after takeoff.

For a moment, I attempted to search for a working radio, but I hurt too much and gave up. Instead, I just remained where I was, waiting for the rescue.

A short time later, I heard a growling noise from outside the helicopter. It sent a cold chill down my spine and I immediately tried grabbing one of the weapons that had been flung about in the crash. Fortunately, there was one right next to me.

Suddenly, thick claws tore through the helicopter door and tore it open, revealing the demon on the other side. It looked much like a giant wolf, though it had thick boney spines on its back. It snarled and lunged at me, tearing its way further inside the helicopter.

I screamed like a little girl and then pulled the trigger, firing several shots right into its head. The demon died in a splatter of blood and gore. I closed my eyes, thanking fate that it wasn’t armored like some of those other demons.

“Oh God,” I groaned, wondering where my rescue was. Then I winced and turned to the other survivor, “Where are they…” I grimaced in pain, adding, “Maybe I can signal them…”

I grimaced and fought against the pain as I pulled myself out of the helicopter. From the trees around me, it was clear that I hadn’t landed in Hell Town but in the woods outside of it.

After a few more minutes, I noticed something in the sky, an aircraft. I squinted my good eye and tried to focus on it, though it wasn’t easy. It was a plane…not a helicopter. That meant it wouldn’t be able to land here. Then I saw something fall from it…several somethings.

“Oh shit,” I whispered, realizing that they’d just dropped the bombs.

Though I wasn’t directly in Hell Town, I was still far too close for my comfort. I scrambled to get return to the helicopter again but didn’t quite reach it when the first bomb went off.

The ground shook and rumbled, then I saw a massive wave of smoke and fire coming towards me. In desperation, I scrambled to find cover before it hit and barely managed to cower down beside the helicopter. I had barely found cover when it hit, smashing me with force and fire all at once. I screamed as I hunkered down, though several more bombs went off in short succession. I blacked out before the last one.

When I came to again, every inch of my body was in agony. The shockwave had thrown me a short distance from where I’d been crouched down and had broken more of my bones. My leg was at an odd angle and I could see a piece of bone sticking out from my forearm. My skin was blackened and blistered while blood seeped from various lacerations.

But as much as my body hurt, what hurt even more was the sense of betrayal and abandonment. They hadn’t come… No one had come to rescue me, not even my sisters.

I struggled to move, to at least try giving myself what medical attention I could. However, all my medical supplies had been left in the helicopter and there was no way I could get to them at the moment. Still I braced against the pain and tried pulling myself back there anyway, though I passed out before I could reach the opening.

After waking from long and twisted nightmares, I was back in a reality that was every bit as bad. My body was responding even less than it had before, so I was in utter agony and unable to do anything about it.

As I lay there, helpless for any demon who may have survived, unable to even defend myself against a squirrel, I tried to focus my thoughts by cataloguing my injuries. Since I couldn’t examine myself properly, some of them I had to guess from my pains and some were filled in by my imagination.

I had no idea how many times I cycled through horrific nightmares and an even worse reality. All I had was agony and terror as I grew even weaker and weaker. The only thing that had kept me alive this long was my augmented biology, but even that had reached its limits. I was at my end and knew it.

Then something shook me from one of my nightmares and I felt a presence. I slowly opened my good eye and saw a blurry figure bent over me. After several seconds, it became more clear and I saw it was a human, all dressed in some sort of gray suit. He had a hood and mask over his entire face, perhaps to help protect against infection.

At first, I thought I was dreaming, though he touched me and seemed to be checking my wounds. Something stirred in my memory and I whispered, “Don’t…touch…my…blood…”

The gray clad figure paused at that and then and then said, “That isn’t a concern.”

With that, the gray clad figure pulled off his hood and mask, revealing that it was not a man like I’d thought but a woman. But when she looked down at me, I saw the very same face that met me every morning in the mirror.

“It’s okay sister,” she gently told me in my own voice. “I’m Lisa and I’m here to help.”

up
255 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lisa?

Now this is an interesting development since Lisa was thought to be dead. So why hasn't she gone back or tried to tell her other sisters that she's still alive? Hmmm.

Maggie

I'm thinking she knows

I'm thinking she knows something she doesn't want the doctor to find out about.

Read more of my works on Patreon.

Considering the outfit, i

Considering the outfit, i suspect she is working with someone else. Maybe Rebecca's mother?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Or, the outfit is to keep her

Or, the outfit is to keep her from infecting others, in the absence of the shots they have at the base. If she was left for dead, I can see not going back to the cage they keep the angels in.

Or she is protecting her sisters

She may know something that could get the rest of the sisters killed if they found out or someone found out she was still alive. Betting that someone is trying to make sure that any of the sisters with medical training does not stay with them for long, they did say that Lisa was the one that did the medical stuff before.

Oh!

Another twist! :)
Hugs
Grover

But Rebecca said she saw her mother ripped apart

But did she REALLY die?

Had she tested any of the amgel virus strains or supresssion serium(s) on herself?

And why was that ass scientist male now a half woman half naga/snake goddess?

Lisa is a maybe is THE key. I have long wondered that Rebecca's mom must have had backup files and even samples/strains stored in other secure locations. Her research was too vital to risk all her *eggs in one basket*. And certainly her research for a cure for her daughter.

And Lisa as her chief, nay ONLY aid likely knew where to look for the backups or even for a private lab the govt never knew about?

Also key are the insane former doctor and that crimes a against humanity congressman/senator.

I agree they left Monica for dead but then remember the govt gives then table scraps compared to what they do for their government and humanity.

SOMEBODY needs to blow the lid off on all this and make those warmongers in every government pay in spades. The Angels and Lisa if she was abandoned, and now Monica owe their govt and those other countries who made research on a cure illegal NOTHING.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Pheromones? VERRY interestink! As the demons are mutated/ing humans could a modified demon pheromone control/influence uninfected humans?

John in Wauwatosa

Re: Lisa

Kalkin62's picture

If someone (let's call her Lisa) wanted to do illegal viral research on the Harkon virus strain ... being "dead" might be a way to do that while flying under the radar.

Of course there are more sinister possibilities too, guess we'll have to wait and see.

And yeah, I'm still wondering about how Martin Yavich ended up female too.

IF

If he based his research off of the Angle strain then he most likely had Rebecca's DNA structure with it. Hence he would have became female. The other possibility is that the DNA strain was based off of Rebecca's mother.

Or ...

Sammi's picture

... it could be something a little less sinister, it might simply be that his own DNA at chromosome marker 47, the one that denotes sex of an individual, was XXY, and not XY. just a thought.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Hm.. I don't know

Kalkin62's picture

What we've been told about the virus is that it completely overwrites existing DNA. So any DNA/chromosome issues that Yavich had before becoming infected probably wouldn't end up being relevant.

I think ib12us might be onto something there with the idea that either Rebecca's or her mother's DNA might have been involved. But ... it's all just speculation unless Morpheus chooses to reveal what happened.

I still think it's somewhat important as this is the only time (as far as we know) that the "demon" strain of the virus has caused a gender change.

But...

Breanna Ramsey's picture

The Harkon virus is unstable. That's undoubtedly why there is such a wide variance in appearance among demons. It also seems apparent that this instability causes the demons to continue changing over time, and considering the way viruses work, and the evidence we've seen (the appearance of various demons), I would hypothesize that the progressive mutation is caused by the introduction of additional genetic material after infection, DNA from their victims probably, and perhaps even other demons. If that's the case, Yavich was likely male in the immediate post infection form, and only changed genders later, after incorporating some female DNA.

As to the obvious question this raises -- why aren't all demons switching genders frequently? -- I would repeat, the Harkon virus is unstable. Every demon will be unique, the product of countless variables that are unlikely to repeat. I guess you could say they take the Vulcan concept of IDIC -- Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations -- to the extreme.

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

That ...

Sammi's picture

... Scott was the point I was trying to make, Thank you, that Demon strain is extremely unstable and not keyed to specific DNA, thus needing Yavich's DNA in the first place to begin the transfornation, and X being dominant in DNA with XXY on the 47th chromosome I thought it may make sence with the unstable nature of the Demon strain for the change of sex.

Unlike the Angel strain that as Rebecca expianed in part 2, had to be Keyed to the person it was to be used on, then making them the better version of themselves, and the Angel strain was supposed to become innert after the transformation, if we remember Rebecca was confind to a wheelchair and not expected to live much longer, now she's hunting wabbit, oops Demons.

Also I think altough Yavich was an inept and reckless scientist, I don't think he was evil until after he was infected.

Having said that and reread what you wrote I certainly see both points of view. Either way the EVIL GENIOUS, mmmmwwa ha ha haaa that is writing the story will possibly explain all at some point, until then there'll be some very interesting debates.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Morpheus

You have such an imagination and the ability to put that imagination down on paper where we all see what you see. This is turning out to be a truly one of your best works. I wonder how you are bringing Lisa back into the story from the dead. Next Rebecca's mom will come out of the grave. Great chapter Morph great chapter.

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

How do we know what Rebecca

gpoetx's picture

How do we know what Rebecca says is the truth??? What is truth and what is lies?

wow!

Lisa is alive? wow!

DogSig.png

You know, after thinking

You know, after thinking about it, I have to wonder if Lisa "dying" wasn't engineered by the other angels. The best one to be on the loose, as it were, and be able to come up with anything would be - ta da - the medically trained one that was there from the beginning.

They'd just have to have a way to get word to her that a 'sister' was lost near Hell Town.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Twin connection

There may be more to the 'twin communication' than has been mentioned so far.

If the angels can sense each other, then they probably know that Lisa is alive. Monica might have felt Lisa's presence without knowing it.

The fact that all the angels can sense each other would also be a very good reason for them to be very choosy about who they accept as a sister.

I'm looking forward to learning more.

I was hoping ...

I was hoping that you'd get someone besides the damn government involved. All those dorks can do is blow shit up and create messes.

G

introduction?

Lisa's introduction makes it seem like she knows that Monica is a new angel, how was she able to tell?

"we can turn it all around, because it's not too late, it's NEVER too late" -(never too late, Three Days Grace)

More Twists

than a snakes and ladders board. I'm loving every chapter
Joanna

More twists and turns ...

Sammi's picture

... than 'Spaghetti Junction'

Hmmmm Lisa's aliiiive!, the first angel with medical training, all we realy knew was she was the team medic, as I PONDER this something else pops into the old noggin' Rebecca's mother so Rebecca says was torn asunder in the chaos of the lab destruction. Now for the PONDERANCE

Are Lisa and Rebecca's mother one in the same? we never did find out her name!!! and as was said by Kalkin62, being 'DEAD' or a non entity as far a 'The Machine' is concerned would be the perfect cover to carry out Ileagal Resaerch, But more importantly research that isn't guided by the a certain senator and general.

Would also explain why the other angels engineered the death of Lisa.

Morpheus another gereat chapter, Thank You!!

P.S. Sorry about the 'Wierd Science' reference but being truthfull it was my first thought when Lisa was revealed.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

wow

Morpheus,

Really good chapter - more drama; Monica is now in an impossible situation and you introduced another complexity, Lisa! Really well done.

Cheers
Zapper