A New Direction 8

Printer-friendly version


A New Direction

Sydney Moya

 © 2013

Chapter 8

Apparently someone in her family did think of her on her birthday because her phone rang after dinner.

“May I speak to Claire McCaskill,” said a female voice.

“Speaking,” replied Claire before excusing herself from the table.

“It’s me Julie, I just called to wish you a happy birthday,” said the caller.

Julie was Claire’s 17 year old little sister.

Claire was shocked.

“Hi Julie, thank you but why are you calling me. I don’t even exist according to your parents. You’ll be in trouble if they find out,” replied Claire coldly.

Not one of her family had tried to understand or back her up, each and every one of them had turned their backs on her, Julie included. She’d called her a freak.

“I’m sorry I insulted you, I shouldn’t have done that. I now understand why you wanted to be a girl thanks to this girl at school who is just like you. We all treated you badly and I miss you terribly. Please forgive me, I was so stupid,” pleaded Julie.

Claire was dumbstruck, unable to believe what she was hearing.

“Hey are you still there?” Julie queried.

“Yeah I am, I’m just stunned that’s all,” Claire replied.

“I really mean this Claire, I know I hurt you but I’m sorry,” Julie answered fervently.

Claire took a deep breath and said, “I forgive you. Thank you for calling, I’ve missed you too,” she said softly.

“Thanks sis, I won’t be in trouble I’m sleeping over at a friend’s. How are you doing?” Julie asked with interest.

Claire heard her call her ‘sis’ and was touched.

‘I’m okay, how’s everyone back home doing?” Claire found herself asking.

“Their fine but the place sucks without you,” came the teen’s reply, “I wish you could come back and we could start over,” she sighed.

“I can’t, you heard Mum and Dad and Logan will kill me. Things are better off this way,” said Claire.

Julie began crying, “We were so cruel to you, how can a family do that to one of its kids,” she wept.

Claire knowing Julie well knew she hardly ever cried so she could tell she felt bad and was sorry for her.

“I don’t hate you or Mum, Dad, Logan and Colin. Don’t cry its water under the bridge now, I have my life back now and you’ve made my day by getting in touch,” said Claire gently.

“Are you happy? Did you have a nice birthday?” Julie asked, trying to regain her composure.

“Yes I love being me and I had a nice birthday celebration at a friend’s house and we’re cutting the cake soon,” explained Claire.

“I’m not holding you up am I?” queried Julie anxiously.

“No not at all. My friend will understand,” said Claire.

“Is your friend a guy?” Julie asked.

Claire laughed, “No it’s a girl. I don’t have a boyfriend if that’s what you’re thinking not that I wouldn’t mind one.”

“How do you look?” enquired Julie, “Are you pretty?”

“I don’t know about being pretty but my hair’s longer these days,” replied Claire.

“Send me a photo,” suggested Julie.

“You know I can’t do that. What if Mum and Dad see it, you know how they are about your phone and they don’t want you to have anything to with me. If they saw my picture you’d be in hot water,” replied Claire.

“Please Claire, I really miss you. No one will see it besides me. I need to see you. I’m on MySpace and I check my account at Bev’s house, sign up and I’ll add you to my list or if you think that’s a risk I won’t add you but it’ll be a way of keeping in touch,” supplied Julie.

“You do want that right? Because I do, you’re the only sister I’ll ever have,” finished Julie.

“That’s so sweet Julie. I’ll do it if you’re sure it won’t get you into trouble,” said Claire really moved.

“I promise to be careful. I have to go. Happy birthday honey, I love you.”

“I love you too and thank you for calling you made my day really special,” responded Claire.

***

“Good for you Claire,” I said to Claire when she told me who had called her.

“I can’t believe it, her call was the perfect birthday present,” Chloe told me.

In the ensuing weeks Claire and Julie chatted online until Julie asked to see her.

“No you can’t meet with me. If Mum and Dad found you met with me it’ll be a disaster,” she told her sister.

“Come on Claire. Don’t you want to see me?” replied Julie.

“Yes I do but I don’t want to get you into trouble,” responded Claire.

“Sod them. If they find out I don’t care. I’ll have seen you and followed my conscience,” said Julie forcefully.

“What about me? You’ll put me at risk,” said Clare unhappily.

“How, you don’t exist in their eyes and they don’t know where you live,” said Julie.

“Remember in their view I’m all sorts of things so I’ll be a bad influence and they know where I work, I don’t anymore trouble or anything to do with them,” said Claire.

“Maybe you’re still mad at me and that’s why you don’t want. I’m sorry I treated you the way I did okay,” said Julie in a sulky voice.

“Julie, we’ve been through this, I have nothing against you. I love you and I forgave you way back,” said Claire in exasperation.

“Then why won’t you let me see you, it feels like you’re punishing me. Do you want me to show up at your garage?” replied Julie sadly.

Claire gave in.

“Alright,” she said with a sigh, “name the time and place.”

I told Claire that I thought it was wonderful that her sister wanted to see her.

“I think it’s just great Claire you ought to show her your flat,” I suggested.

“No way, we’re meeting at a coffee shop. I can’t risk bringing her home because she might start showing up whenever she wanted to see me,” said Claire though she was smiling.

***

“Look, um,” began Richie nervously one Friday.

“Yes,” I said wondering what was on his mind.

“Would you like to come see a play with me tomorrow, I just happen to have a spare ticket,” he said leaving me taken aback.

Was he really asking me for a date?

“Um sure why not?” I said without giving it a second thought.

He smiled that cute smile of his and I suddenly realised I’d never thought of it that way.

“Great, I’ll pick you up at six,” he said cheerfully.

“Okay,” I said smiling while I thought- what just happened here?

Did I really just get asked out by Richie and did I agree? Sounds like a date.

I tried to talk myself down.

“Don’t be silly Richie’s just being friendly like he’s been at all those lunches and dinners you’ve had.”

I wasn’t convinced.

‘Come to think of it what were those dinners anyway? Okay we talked about work, him and me. Fair enough but what work could we possibly be chatting about on a Saturday night at the West End? That leaves him and me so logically he’s interested in me!

Whoopee! Wait a sec, women aren’t supposed to think logically or are they?

He likes me! Does he see me as a woman or is he gay? Don’t think like that!

What am I going to wear?

Does he really like me that way?

Why was he so nervous?

Oh gosh, I don’t know what to think.’

I texted Claire, “If a guy you work with who has always been friendly to you asks you to see a play on a Saturday night what do you make of it.”

Her reply was almost instantaneous.

“OMG! Don’t tell me you’ve got a date. What are you going to wear? Is he good looking? Do you like him?” she texted back.

I immediately phoned her.

“Congratulations girl!” Claire said the minute she picked up.

“Um thanks but I don’t think it’s a date you know, its more friendly less datey” I said more to convince myself than Claire.

“Of course Charlene but if that’s the case what would you call an outing with me?” Claire pointed out.

I thought she had a point.

“Listen girl, you have every right to have guys like you, there’s nothing wrong with it. After all you are a girl. I want you to stop lying to yourself and go to that play and have fun, alright?” Claire instructed, putting me at ease, she could always be relied upon to say the right thing.

“I will Mum,” I teased.

So what if Richie was being friendly or not, it didn’t matter as long as I had fun which is what I intended to do.

To be continued.

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Major Mistake

for Claire to use the phone. For a photo, she should have had a few manually made and hand deliver them. Doing it by phone or any internet social site is like handing a loaded gun to her family to attack her with : having an up to date photo that will never go away online and a means to track her down with.

For those of you reading these be aware and dont jeopardize yourself by exposing yourself on those social sites. Its simply too dangerous.

Sephrena

Thanks

For pointing this out, people need to be careful online. Well as for your thoughts on e matter I guess you'll have to wait and find out:)
Sydney

More to the point ...

Sammi's picture

Julie has Claire's Phone Number, and seems that they know where she works, now Julie has made contact I fear for Claire, The more I think about it the more I feel Julie is settting Claire up.

I'd be suspicious about any kind of recent photo, as even a physical photo can scanned, and does Julie really intend it for myspace, or something altogether more viscious?

Charlene needs to to be carefull aswell as I think a call out of the blue on Claire's Birthday while nice could meen that they know where Charlene lives and about her!!!

But I could be wrong about Julie, I Hope I am!!

Another great story Sydney, Love Nikki to bits, Charlene needs to take Wills and trade him in for a newer model Brother :) Thanks for the tears and laughter!!!


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx