Shade of Night Part 10

Printer-friendly version
ShardSmall.jpg

Someone killed Lord Pankov, and it wasn’t the man arrested for the crime. The ghost, Pascal Hunter, is on the trail of the killer. Possessing the body of Simza Gray, she must battle to hang on to her sense of self while also trying to solve the mystery.

She and her partner, the former fey, eternally ten year old Brynn, have accumulated too many suspects. They’ve also made a few too many waves in the normally placid household.

PART SIX

RESOLUTIONS

“Andrei,” Pascal called. Feeling both guilty and obligated, she added, “My dear.”

Another night’s rest had done wonders for her. While she was still sore, she was eager to get back to work.

The change in her mood was matched by the change in the weather. The oppressive heat and humidity had fled and the day was sunny and warm with a cool breeze. It was ripe with possibilities. She would begin by fulfilling some obligations, not just to the job, but to Simza.

Andrei was riding his horse into the stable when she called, fresh from inspecting some outlying farms and still dirty from the ride. The time he’d spent by her bed during her recovery had repaired some of the damage she’d done to their engagement. But it hadn’t fixed everything. She could see indecision on his face.

She ignored it. Grabbing his horse’s reins, she led him into the stables.

For all that she liked to ride, Pascal had little practice at it. Even when she had a solid body she could not get near a horse in most shards. Animals, with the notable exception of cats, shied away from her. Horses reared if she tried to mount them. While possessing someone, animals treated her like anyone else. It was a pity she hated possessing people. Since she was Simza now, she wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. It almost made up for the heels and makeup.

“Please tell me you don’t have more questions for me. You need to be a proper lady.” It was not a promising opening.

“A lady, yes. Proper? We’ll see,” she said with a saucy grin. When she came up with this plan, she’d expected to feel disgusted with herself. Instead, it was fun. Andrei looked puzzled.

She was dressed for riding, in tan pants and boots, with a lovely blue shirt stitched in yellow and white. Her jewelry was understated but visible, and she had a fine broad hat to shield her from the sun and show off her lightly curled hair. She wore slightly heavier makeup than she would normally to hide her bruises.

“Roman Ivanov, is my horse ready?” she asked as she led Andrei’s horse towards the stable.

“Yes, Miss Gray,” he answered with something that almost approached kindness. He would never be friendly towards any Romany, but Fedya had quietly let the servants know she was helping Yakim. It made a huge difference in the way she was treated.

Brynn was feeding one of the horses and looked at her with surprise. She gave him a pleasant smile and a small head shake. She didn’t need his help.

Roman inspected Andrei’s horse while she mounted her own. This time she accepted the stable boy’s help with a smile and grace. When Roman pronounced Andrei’s horse suitable for riding, she started off.

“Where are we going?” Andrei asked. His sour greeting was already forgotten.

Looking at him over her shoulder, Pascal teased, “I should keep it a secret, you know. But I figure you’ll trick it out of me. Blackheart Lake. Your sister says it’s nice in the summer and I haven’t seen it yet.” It would take about half an hour to get there.

Once he knew where they were going, Andrei took the lead. She let him, and they rode in pleasant silence for a while. When they turned away from the road into town, she smiled flirtatiously, nickered and moved her horse into the lead.

“So, the lady wants to race, does she?” he teased back as he pushed his own horse into a trot.

With a laugh as her only answer, Paz pushed her horse into a run and soon they were galloping down the trail. Both of them were laughing as they went, and after a few moments, Paz reared back, “OK, you win. You can lead the way.”

Andrei turned around to face her and with his own laughter still fresh in his throat, answered “Darn, but I forget just how good a rider you are. You’re going to embarrass my sister the first time I take you on a hunt.”

“That might not be the best idea,” she laughed back. “I am trying to be friends with her, after all.”

It could have been a sour note. Paz knew she was taking a risk. She reminded Andrei of all the inappropriate questioning she’d been doing. However, she reminded him of that in the context of becoming friends with his sister. She gave an implied reason for her behavior over the last week. So he answered with just a grunt and a nod.

The lake was as nice as advertised. While it was not as manicured as the gardens, they had stone benches, hedge walls, and a clear field of cut grass by the shore of the lake. The waters were deep. They were clear blue near the shore, but quickly darkened to pitch black in the center. Deer and squirrel prints were visible in the mud, but the only animals they could see were birds and insects.

“This is a great spot,” she gushed.

“I always liked it,” Andrei admitted. “We used to come out here to swim when we were younger.” With a rueful smile, he added, “We tried to sneak away, but our governess always caught us. She usually let us go anyway, she just came along and watched.” He laughed, “One time Sonya wanted to let the horses out the night before so we didn’t have to go to the stables. She thought we could catch the horses in the fields. Boris thought we could run here.”

“And did you ever have any diabolical plans?” she asked with a leading grin.

“Hah. Did I ever,” he announced with pride. “And mine would have worked. Boris was just too chicken to jump off the roof in the wings I made for him. No one would have ever followed us.” She laughed with him.

Paz waited for Andrei to help her dismount and ordered, “Here, you tie up the horses. I brought us a small lunch. I’ll set up.”

Andrei agreed. When she decided to take this trip, she went down to the kitchen to ask for help. She was astonished at how much help they provided and how quickly. The cook pushed her to be much more elaborate than she wanted, while a footman started planning the place settings and dishware. She insisted they keep it simple and eventually she got what she wanted. She set everything out on a blanket. They had sandwiches, a selection of hard cheeses, berries with a bit of sugar and cream, and a bottle of wine.

When he saw the spread, Andrei smiled at her and put his hands on her shoulders. He remembered that she was injured and only touched her gently, making her shiver in delight. “This is a pleasant surprise, but didn’t Dr. Rogov warn you to take it easy today?”

“Well, yes. Maybe I shouldn’t have ridden quite so hard,” she said while looking down shyly, “but otherwise a relaxing afternoon by the lake sounds like just what he ordered.”

He laughed. “I’m glad to see you back in a good mood. Let me pour,” he said while picking up the wine.

She relaxed. She didn’t love Andrei. Since she shared Simza’s feelings, she assumed the gypsy didn’t either. She was fond of him, she liked him. He was handsome, easygoing, and humorous. She worried about her family – Simza’s family, that is. Marrying Andrei would provide for them; he was a far better match than she’d hoped to arrange. Driving him away would be very poor way to repay her host.

So when they finished eating, she told him “A good meal should come with entertainment. Don’t you agree, my dear?”

When he nodded and cocked his eyebrow, she stood up and danced. Her hips swayed to a beat she heard in her head while she lifted her arms high and let them swing to the same count. Pascal could dance, but only passably. He could certainly not dance without music. Yet this felt natural to both body and mind.

The horse race should have given it away. As Pascal she rarely got to ride; she should not be that skilled. Sofiya had noticed it when they were speaking. To an ever greater extent she was more Simza than Pascal. She was not certain she’d be able to put herself back together.

She wanted to repeat her mantra, but was afraid she’d get it wrong.

“Now that was impressive,” Andrei exclaimed.

“We have dance for every occasion,” Paz responded in an exaggerated accent. “Even dance for side of lake with no music.” She stared boldly in his eyes, “We also have dance a girl only does for her husband.” Rubbing her finger slowly against his cheek, she purred, “I think you’ll be looking forward to that one.”

His face lit up, “Oh yes.” He grabbed her waist and pulled her tight to him.

When he kissed her this time, she did not pull back.

- ♇ -

“If I never see a pot again…” Brynn thought to himself as he scrubbed the black iron kettle. The chef glowered at him while she busied herself butterflying chickens.

Tamara was kneading bread dough with a smile on her face. She was happier than Brynn was. Maids who got to prepare food, even simple tasks, had a chance to move up in the kitchen. When she saw Brynn looking her way she grinned and silently mouthed, “Don’t worry.” Then later, “Tonight,” while pointing at the orchards outside. That was one message too many. Mrs. Nesterov saw her and slapped her hand with a wooden spoon.

Brynn knew exactly how much that hurt.

Between helping Brynn on the investigation and discovering that he knew both Sofiya and Simza, Tamara seemed confused around him. She was very friendly to him, but varied between acting like a big sister and a flirty girlfriend. As an ancient ten year old, all of his relationships were complicated. He could read and enjoy the mixed message. She was acting like a flirt, but she was just arranging to climb trees after work.

No messing around, then. Probably. Even if not, climbing trees is fun.

He’d been a ten year old for decades. Of course he took advantage of it, like being able to climb trees for fun without drawing undue attention.

As soon as Mrs. Nesterov was concentrating on her sauces again, he tapped Tomo’s hand, smiled and nodded at her.

It’s a date. Wonder if I’m getting more action than Paz. Doing it as a babe would be so cool, but the guy’s so uptight he’s probably avoiding it. More fool he.

Tamara had tried pestering Brynn for more information but he hadn’t told her what he was really up to yet. Last night she was so in awe that she spoke directly to Lady Sofiya that she didn’t ask too many questions. Her curiosity grew overnight and Brynn suspected she’d be back at it tonight.

“Tamara,” Mrs. Nesterov snapped. Both Brynn and Tamara looked up, assuming she caught them in small talk again. Instead, she ordered “Bring me the cactus seeds for the chocolate sauce.”

With a quick “Yes ma’am,” she ran to the medicine cabinet and out of whisper range. Brynn gave her a quick sad-face as she went and got a quiet giggle in return.

Once she got the seeds Nrs. Nesterov sent her to the butler. She wanted to be sure he provided a flavored vodka for the dessert course since the cactus nectar was a stimulant. Tamara wouldn’t be back at her station any time soon.

There goes the one bit of fun I could count on. Back to scrubbing. Scrub, scrub, scrub. When Tomo gets back, I wonder if she’d– Hold on, I think I just missed something.

“Cactus? Stimulant? Mescaline?” He nearly shouted.

The thickset cook turned in surprise. “You know it? That sounds like what they called it in their language, yes.” She took a step towards him. “I thought you didn’t know anything about cooking, child. How do you know about this?”

How to play this one? If they keep drugs in the kitchen I need to know about it. Paz would kill me if I didn’t follow it up. I need to keep my cover too, so I can’t draw too much attention.

“Miss Sofiya, oh, sorry, I mean Lady Sofiya rescued me from Fall of Night. You know that. Well, I, um, I didn’t live in one of the good neighborhoods, Mrs. Nesterov. I know I’m lucky to be here now. I used to see, well, things like that a lot.” He tried to sound like he was ashamed of a past he was inventing on the spot.

Mrs. Nesterov was flustered. “Well, it’s safe enough in my recipes. But no going after it straight up, you hear me?” She announced loudly enough for the whole kitchen to hear, which was almost certainly her intent.

A few moments later, much to Brynn’s surprise, she came over to speak to him. Looking down at him, she said. “Listen boy. You’re a good worker, and I want you back here when we return to Fall of Night. But you stay out of trouble while we’re gone, you hear? Live in a different neighborhood. Got it?”

“Um, uh, well, yes ma’am,” he finally managed.

I’ll be damned. A woman did get me at a loss for words, just not the one I’d hoped.

Opportunities exist to be taken. So Brynn took it.

Trying his best to sound casual, he said, “I guess it’s good to know you can cook with those things. I mean, to know that they’re good for something. How do you know how much to put in? Isn’t it dangerous?”

It didn’t entirely work. Mrs. Nesterov peered at him in surprise, suspiciously. “I follow recipes and I am careful with them. I don’t want you trying to be a supplier here. I deal with respectable men who know their trade.”

“Of course not. You’re the only one who works with these, then?”

Without another word she grabbed his arm and dragged him to the pantry. Once out of sight of the kitchen staff she knelt down to his level and looked him in the eyes. “Who have you seen in my cabinet?”

“No one. I haven’t seen anyone.”

Quake just a little, look sideways so I don’t see her eyes. Hide a hand behind my back.

It worked. She didn’t believe him.

“Tell me, boy. Brynn, who have you seen in the cabinet?” He quaked in the face of her anger, then saw her relax suddenly. “Was it Sergey? Or another one of the footmen?”

Relax. Start to nod, then stop, eyes wide open but look to the side.

“Is that, I mean, I don’t want to get him in trouble…”

Mrs. Nesterov smiled, “Lady Pankov puts poppy juice in her drink when she wants to sleep. Sergey brings it up to the dining room for her. That is all right.” She put her hand on his head and rubbed his hair, “But it’s good of you to check. If you see anyone doing something wrong, you tell me or Mr. Menschikov. We’ll treat staff fair, have no fear. And that includes you. You do a good job, we’ll treat you fair.”

He nodded solemnly. Inside he felt like dancing a jig.

I solved the case. I beat Paz. He was poisoned with the perfume bottles in the mother’s room. It wasn’t Miss Scuykov. It was Lady Pankov. She didn’t get drawn in after the murder, she was working with Boris from the beginning. How do I get away to tell Paz?

Tamara provided the answer when she got back. “Can I borrow Brynn? They want help upstairs rearranging chairs.” Mrs. Nesterov barely glanced at the pots before giving permission.

“You looked antsy,” Tamara explained as soon as they were out of earshot.

“You’re a lifesaver, Tomo,” he answered to a bright smile. A bit brighter than he expected. He stopped and grabbed her hand, “Tomo, why are you helping me? What do you want?”

She seemed surprised in turn. Somewhat bashful suddenly, “You’re nice, and smart, kind of cute, and both Mrs. Nesterov and Mr. Zefirov picked you out to advance after just a week. I like you and thought I could be your friend. Then when you come back next time we’re here, you’ll be older, and maybe then…” She trailed off.

It hurts being this small forever. In three years you’ll be sixteen. In three years, I’ll still be ten.

“How would you like to go to Fall–” he started to say, but stopped. He looked at the cute girl in front of him. He couldn’t do it. Couldn’t even ask.

“I hate to do this Tomo, because I like you too and wish things could be the way you want. He gently took her hand in his, suddenly seeming much older in the girl’s eyes. It was the first time he held her hands, a bittersweet pleasure. “I’m going to be leaving soon and I won’t be coming back. Maybe, if you still want to when you come back, you can go to Fall of Night. Find the Freezer. I’ll be there. I promise.”

It shouldn’t be this hard, I’ve only known her a week. She’s just another girl. I hate being noble. Stupid Paz rubbing off on me…

“I don’t under–” Tamara broke away from him, her eyes moist. “Yeah, OK,” she said in a flat tone. She turned away and went back to work.

With leaden feet, Brynn left to find his partner.

- ♇ -

“So that’s how they did it,” Brynn announced triumphantly.

Pascal nodded, tapping her tapered finger lightly against her chin. “It works.” She smiled, “It does work nicely.” Her smile turned evil, “You do know we’re not done, right?”

Brynn’s face fell. “What d’you mean? We’ve got it. We can tell Sofiya and go home. I’m tired of washing pots and I already said good bye to Tomo.”

Pascal raised an eyebrow at that. She had seen Brynn with the blond kitchen maid but hadn’t known he’d gotten serious. That was an oversight, she realized. Pretty girls were Brynn’s biggest weakness. For someone as old as he was, or at least as old as he claimed to be, he fell in love often and hard.

They were walking through the courtyard gardens together. The late afternoon sun cast long shadows over the manicured grounds. Pascal had come out here almost every afternoon, just like Sofiya had suggested on their first day in Brodjach. This was the first time they managed to meet there. She didn’t regret the time she spent alone in the gardens; they were lovely and soothing. There were times when she wondered whether those feelings came from her or Simza. She didn’t remember having any great love of flowers or landscaping, but she had lost so many of her memories over the years that she wasn’t entirely sure. It didn’t matter, she liked them now and enjoyed her walks even when she didn’t meet Brynn.

“We don’t know why,” she explained. “It’s a good story you’ve got. It’s really good, I can believe it. But in the end, that’s all it is, a story. It takes a lot for a man to kill his father. No one would believe us unless we got a confession. Right now I could make a better case for Andrei with the fights he had over me the last few weeks. This wasn’t a crime of passion, it was planned,” she grinned and saw Brynn perk up. He knew something good was coming. “There is one man who might know what was going on.”

“Spill, already,” Brynn finally jumped in when she let the dramatic pause last a little too long.

“Yakim, the valet. Fedya told us that Boris finally wrote to the gendarmes and asked them to drop the case. If you’re right, we can see why he refused to do that at first and suddenly changed his mind. It would all be part of covering his tracks. Anyway, Andrei is taking me into town tomorrow to do some shopping,” she blushed slightly. From Brynn’s reaction she was sure he noticed. “I should be able to get away from Andrei for a little while and track down Yakim.”

There was no way she’d tell Brynn about making up with Andrei. He was taking her into town to listen to a string quartet. It was his way of returning her gesture with the picnic, giving them a romantic evening together. She told him that her brother, by which she meant Simza’s brother, was in town and she wanted to see him. That would give her an hour by herself to find Yakim.

- ♇ -

Between dressing up and keeping her hand on his arm throughout the concert Andrei was in a great mood and he asked no questions when she left him to speak with her brother. While she was uncomfortable lying to him again, she didn’t want him to know she was still investigating the case. She did not need to feel guilty for ruining Simza’s life even further.

She found herself in the lobby of a rundown theater. The darkness concealed the dirt on the windows and gave the faded decor a misty glamor. She recognized the valet even though she had never seen him before. Simza knew Yakim and Pascal had her brain. She was having an increasingly hard time telling which memories were hers.

The tall man with with gaunt eyes above his neatly trimmed beard walked up to her eagerly. “I must beg your forgiveness, Lady Simza,” he said with his head bowed. “I treated you abominably and now I have you to thank for my freedom. Nothing I can say will ever make up for how I’ve acted, but I still hope you will accept my most humble apologies.”

She wondered what the man had done to her that was so horrible and whether or not it was worth inquiring further. Immediately after thinking that she was flooded with relief. She didn’t know what he’d done. Some part of her was still Pascal. She wasn’t all Simza.

Vagueness was an old and dear friend. “They aren’t needed, but I accept them anyway, Yakim Sergeyin.” She felt like she needed to say more and a leading question wouldn’t hurt. “I know Andrei’s family did not welcome me and I can hardly blame a faithful servant for following their lead. That is the reason, no?”

He nodded with relief but then stopped and shook his head. “No ma’am. I cannot pass off my faults on them. It is true that Lord Pankov did not welcome you at first but when he saw how much his son wanted to be with you– well, for a time he changed his mind. But even when he was most friendly to you I was not. Like too many of us who served, I would not accept a Gypsy among the family.”

“Andrei tried to shield me from his family’s views. Perhaps too much. I knew his father was angry when he brought me home, but I never knew he changed his mind. I wish I’d gotten to know him,” she tried to lead him along. “Sonya and I have become friends while we were working to clear your name.”

Yakim turned aside to hide his reaction to that news. “Lord Pankov did change his mind, about Andrei and you. Old Lord Pankov now, I guess, though it’s hard to think of him that way.” His loyalty to the old man was clear. Pascal wondered how anyone ever thought he was the killer.

Yakim went on, “I think it did Lord Pankov good to see you two together. Lord Boris’s wedding was a fine affair and a well made match, but neither Lord Pankov nor Lord Boris have ever approved of Lady Dunyasha. He had so much to deal with, so many problems this year, and at first he thought Lord Andrei’s return was one more. It took him time to see that his son had grown up while he was gone, but he did. It was a bright light for him. Don’t take this wrong please, but I fear he disapproved of you, as it were, but approved of you for his son. If that makes sense, Miss.”

It did. She gave him a small smile and hoped it looked a little sad. “I can understand that. I still wish I’d gotten to know him better.”

That brought a smile to the former valet’s face. Despite his ill treatment, he thought well of his employer. Then he frowned and told her, “That all changed near the end. His burdens overcame him. He fought with Lord Andrei, furiously, over you. If he’d known what you’d do for me, I’m sure he wouldn’t have. And I hate to speak ill of him after he’s gone, but that is the God’s honest truth.”

“Andrei told me he took money from his father to pay gambling debts. Was that the cause? Did he blame me for that?”

“No, Miss Gray,” Yakim insisted. “It wasn’t that. I mean, Lord Pankov was very upset with Lord Andrei over that, but that happened when he first returned home. I do not know why he changed his mind near the end. He had a great many cares and they were taking a toll on his health.”

This was going in the wrong direction. Far from narrowing things down, Yakim was adding them in. Fedya Illyitch had mentioned the renewed fight between father and son, but Yakim made it seem much worse. Was Andrei a suspect again? Lord Pankov’s health was failing. Was all this a red herring, did he die a natural death? She would consider these, but later. She had her goals and a time limit to get back to Andrei before he’d start to worry.

“I wish it were otherwise, but I am sure he meant only the best for his family,” she said with her mouth drawn to a line. “I cannot blame a father who wants to aid his son, and I am sure that was his aim.”

This was what she did. She manipulated people. This was her gift before she became Simza, it was one she could rely on. Or was it? Simza was no slouch at manipulation either. She was a traveler who seduced a Lord’s son into marrying her. She hoped it was her skill, but whether her or Simza, she saw Yakim relax.

It gave her the opening she needed.

“Lord Pankov was a careful man, was he not?”

Yakim nodded. He didn’t know why she was changing the topic but was willing to go along.

“Some of his letters are missing,” she said after a moment’s hesitation. Andrei broke into the cash box but had no reason to take any letters. They were still a mystery, and she was convinced they held the key to the murders. “His correspondence with Victor Chernov is not in his office.Do you know what it was about?”

“Mr. Chernov,” Yakim said with surprise, “The lawyer? He was a friend of Lord Pankov’s; they went to school together. He was most put out when Mr. Chernov passed away. He didn’t know he’d follow so quickly.”

“That’s right,” Pascal exclaimed, “I heard about that. He died and a young man, Goldstein, had to take over.”

It wasn’t one death, it was two. She was more convinced than ever that the letters were the key.

Yakim stepped back in consternation. “I can’t. I knew a lot of what he did, Miss Gray, but I don’t know what he said to his lawyer. I was his valet.”

Despite his denials, she was sure he knew something. She couldn’t do her tough guy routine at the moment even if she tried, but she suspected it wouldn’t work anyway. The valet would just dig in. There were other ways. She lowered her eyes sadly before looking up with hope.

“I saw Lord Pankov’s drawings. Three copies each time. A draft, a rough, and a finished copy.” Yakim nodded. “For his letters, he filed his rough copy and sent off his final. Did he make draft copies of his letters?”

“I… that is. Well,” he stammered. He was surprised, trying to reach a decision. She would help him along.

“It’s important for the whole family.” Then, shyly, “but it wouldn’t hurt if I was the one to find them.”

“He didn’t keep the drafts in his office. He, well, he hid them. In his room, in the dresser. There’s a false back in one of the drawers.”

She thanked him, wished him the best of luck, and promised that she would not stop until his name was cleared. He thanked her in turn, though she was paying less attention.

Oddly, she was not upset over having to put off her investigation until the next day. She planned to enjoy the rest of her evening with Andrei.

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

progress!

but will the investigation end soon enough to save Pascal ?

DogSig.png