Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2117

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2117
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I hastily pulled on a robe over my pyjamas and scuffed on some slippers. Simon pulled on some trousers and a sweater. He led me down to the reception room where a uniformed and a plain clothes copper were waiting.

“Guid even’, sir, ma’am, I’m DS McGonnagle and this is constable Poor. Sorry t’ disturb yer even’ but I wis asked tae come an’ speak tae ye aboot somethin’ which has recently arisen.”

We both nodded for him to continue.

“Yer hae’ing a barn dance the day efter t’morrow?”

“Yes, for the estate staff.”

“Aye, well be aware that we hae an escaped criminal, a nasty piece o’ work called Jimmy O’Dare, who broke oot o’ polis custody th’ morn. He’s a record o’violence against women, an’ we ken ye’ve yer dochters wi’ ye, not to mention yer lovely wife.”

“What does he look like, this Jimmy O’Dare?”

“Och he’s aboot six twa wi’ red hair an’ a tattoo o’ a swastika on his richt erm.”

“Sounds charming,” said Simon sarcastically.

“Aye, he’s a richt charmer a’richt–smashed the face o’ a woman in Perth t’ a pulp because she telt him no.”

My tummy went very cold as I imagined this poor woman. “How is the woman he assaulted?” I asked.

“She wis taken doon tae Glasgow fa’ emergency surgery.”

“I hope she’ll be alright.”

“I’m sure she’s in guid hands.”

“What are you doing to find this animal?” asked Simon.

“We’ve got teams oot searchin’ an’ road blocks set up. We’ll get him nay doubt, but it takes time, an’ he kens th’ area well.”

“Thank you for warning us, might it be worth having an officer at the dance tomorrow?” I asked.

“I’m sure it could be arranged, ma’am.”

“Thank you, it would make us feel a bit safer.”

He nodded politely.

“Would you care for a cup of tea?”

“No thanks, we havenae time, c’mon Poor, get yer bum in action.” They left and Dunstan returned.

“Can I get you anything?” he asked.

“I’d love a cuppa, thank you Mr Dunstan.”

“Sir?”

“Go on, I’ll have one too–in the bedroom?”

“Very good, sir, ma’am.”

“Thank you, Mr Dunstan.”

We went back upstairs and within ten minutes he was knocking on the door with a tray of cups and saucers, a pot of tea and a jug of milk. “If that’ll be all, ma’am?”

“Yes thank you, Mr Dunstan.”

“It’s jest Dunstan, ma’am.”

“I know, Mr Dunstan. I’m also aware that mister is a courtesy title. Goodnight, Mr Dunstan.”

He smiled, “Guid night, ma’am.”

“What was all that about?” asked Simon accepting the cup of tea I poured him.

“All what?”

“With Dunstan–don’t get too familiar with the staff.”

“Simon, that man has been a slave here for twenty years, the least I can give him is the courtesy of being recognised as a fellow human being. The only difference between him and you is a few million pounds.”

He shrugged, “I pay him.”

“You pay him for his work, not to be obsequious.”

“Okay, point taken.”

“Yeah, well don’t correct me when I tell the children to address all the staff by the title of mister or miss or whatever.”

“Okay. Overturn two hundred years of history, see if I care.”

“I’m modernising. As lady of the house, I believe it’s my prerogative to update rules and so on.”

“Drink your tea,” was all he said so I suspect he wasn’t entirely in approval of the twenty first century.

We finally got to bed after discussing the escaped convict and deciding that we’d speak to the children at breakfast and also talk to the staff, or ask Mr Dunstan to do so.

It was a bit brighter the next morning, the weather at any rate. I wasn’t sure that I was and Lizzie’s squawks did little to improve my temper. However, I did realise what was happening, even though I was dreaming about sheep for some reason and for a moment her cries fitted in with the bleats of the sheep.

I cleaned her up and fed her while Simon organised some tea, then it was down to breakfast and having rounded up all the children we warned them of this escapee from justice and advised them to come and tell us if they saw anyone suspicious.

I also briefed Mr Dunstan and asked him to make the rest of the staff aware. He told me he’d heard something on the radio that morning. I asked if that included the woman in hospital the thug had assaulted. He reported that it did and that she was very ill but stable. I hate men who hit women, and that isn’t just because I’m a woman, it’s just not–well cricket.

We took the children to Perth and bought Danni some more leggings and a pair of jeans. She seemed to be quite happy to be in girl mode again, so what happened yesterday I wasn’t sure. She decided she’d wear her dress for the dance, so we didn’t need any more of those, but I got caught for a pair of shoes by Phoebe, and various books and DVDs with the others. Simon always seemed to be in another part of the shop when they wanted something–still, I’d get my own back later.

We had lunch in Perth at a very nice restaurant and Simon coughed up for that; which made me feel a bit better. Then it was off to a warehouse place for bunting and assorted decorations for the barn dance. It was just as well we’d taken both cars, we needed them to carry it all.

The late afternoon and evening were taken up with supervising some of the estate workers in setting up the barn for the dance. They built a stage which I assumed would be for a disco, but I was told they had a live band as well. The kids were very excited and I wondered if we’d have trouble getting them to bed, but we didn’t, they zonked after all the fresh air and exercise, mind you, I wasn’t too far behind them.

The next morning I was awake before Lizzie started so had the luxury of being able to have a wee before she heard me moving about. She squawked as usual then tried talking to me, as usual only this time I definitely heard, ‘Ma ma.’ I told Simon who simply retorted, “We’re still not keeping her.” Poor little bugger could get very confused when Neal is able to take her back.

After breakfast we all helped do some more clearing or tidying in the barn before the contractors came in and laid a temporary dance floor–looked like I could wear some tidy shoes after all providing I kept to the paths which are all concrete or tarmac.

After lunch, it became a mad race for bathrooms and checking dresses for creases, then a light and early dinner and Phoebe and I spent an hour or more sorting the girl’s makeup and hair, before doing our own.

Outside the band had arrived and the roadies were sorting the equipment while inside the excitement was mounting as we all finished our preparations for the dance. It was going to be an exciting evening, of that I was sure.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmm ...

... "It was going to be an exciting evening, of that I was sure."

You know, I'm sure as well but probably not in the way Cathy means ... or for that matter Angharad or Bonzi. If the cat gets its claws into the plot it'll be curtains for Jimmy and his tattoo.

Robi

Cat....curtains

Yeah, I got that one!

S.

What is she complaining about?

The way I hear it, Mormon women shoot out 8 kids all at once and then go back to baking bread. So, what has she to complain about. :)

Gwendolyn

It will

It will be interesting who Jimmy will take hostage to make an escape, exiting indeed!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs Carla

ROO

Does it really matter?

D. Eden's picture

I expect that it will either be Danni or Cindy.

No matter who it is, I think that we can be reasonably certain that Cathy will be involved in stopping him. The only real question is just how badly is she going to hurt him, and how many people is she going to have to heal afterwards?

I can't wait to see what happens!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Even money it will be Danni

It provides a trial by fire of what it is like to be a 'vulnerable' woman. Since she is kinda wavering already it could be a make or break thing.

In any case, being a crossdresser is not a bad thing as I suspect he will wind up one.

Kim

Are we likely to have and uninvited guest

at the dance? Perhaps Cathy needs to practice her wonder woman move and keep the night vision goggles available. Very concerned for Danni. We don't need another encounter with a deranged man.

Leave well enough alone

Keeping the tradition of calling servants by their last name I suspect would actually be preferred by the servants. It keeps a sense of tradition and place for them. Why do you think the whole class system still exists in the UK anyway?

Kim

Great Episode

Thanks for another great week’s worth of ‘bike’ Ang.

I hope all of the family make it back home on the south coast in one piece. I look forward to finding out.

Thanks again

Love

Anne G.

Maybe the police

should send out a warning to Jimmy O'Dare and let him know just who he will face at the castle , If the Russians had no luck against Cathy, What chance does one man have ?

kirri