Coulda Been... Yet Again

Printer-friendly version

Another fantasy, and it looks like dedications are gonna be the norm for these. I think these pieces are helping me, but writing them is really painful. I sat sobbing for a good two hours halfway through this one, and if you want to see the real story of what happened, it's in my blog on here. I'm not going to link to it, it's easy enough to find.

Coulda Been... Yet Again
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Note: This is dedicated to the memory of Michael Andrew Galyen.
My baby brother.
18 March 1991 - 12 September 2007.

This didn't happen. The real story is much more painful, but really... this is what might have been in different circumstances. There's a kernel of what really happened here, but...


"Edeyn!" called Michael, "Hey, I, uh, I need some cash, if you've got it."

I groaned, but it was just for his benefit. Inwardly, I was giggling at the sheepish grin on his face.

"What for this time, little bother?" I asked, grinning.

"Well, you know that girl you and Amy introduced me to a few nights ago? She, um, I want, er... we wanna go to the movies," he answered, ignoring the 'bother' comment completely. Smart kid. He knew better than to contradict me when he wanted something.

"I thought you were going out to chinese with me tonight?" I asked him. He'd been here nearly a whole week and was only gonna be here a few more days.

"Oh!" he said as he thumped his head with the heel of his palm, "Fat Cracker forgot again. Um, I wanna, but, this girl is dang cute, sis..."

"I will never understand why you not only allow, but encourage your so-called friends to call you that! Well, do you think she'd like to come to chinese with us? I mean, Mom can't meet her from 400 miles away, so I'm your de facto guardian, boyo, and I should meet any girl you wanna date."

"That's a great idea! I'll go call her!"

He moseyed off outside to make the call. Cell reception in this apartment was crap. Yes, he moseys. I don't think I've ever seen the kid hurry. He worked hard to make other folks think that because he was big and moved slow, he was dumb, too. He said it made them underestimate him. He was right, but I still shook my head and giggled. He was visiting for his holiday break from school, just like I promised him he could when he was hurt back in September. Hey, what sixteen year old wouldn't want to spend two weeks being introduced to girls in an actual city by his big sister (who happened to be an intersex transsexual lesbian) when the alternative was a week at grandpa Stumpy's house being fed turnip greens and whatever-the-hell-it-was stew?

He came back inside (moseying), and smiled, "Yeah, she likes chinese, too, so she's in. We just gotta pick her up on the way. I told her around six, alright?"

"That sounds fine, little bother," I said, grinning at him again.

"Hey, promise me you won't call me that in front of her, okay?" he asked, suddenly serious.

I looked up at him, as he was taller than me now, and replied, "Only if you promise not to call yourself 'Fat Cracker' around her -- and no Randy Quaid Cousin Eddie impressions!"

He laughed out loud. Ever since the steel plate was put in his head, he made fun of it good-naturedly, by doing impressions from the National Lampoon's 'Vacation' series of movies.

"Laugh it up, chucklehead, but you need to go shower and get ready if we're leaving in time to pick her up by six. Scoot!"

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What would you have liked to have happen in comparision to.....

This is a nice vingnet. One thing I always forbade in my family, when I was still there, was name calling, either of ones self or others. It is just to bad that I did not understand more about building self esteem in others, and myself.

It seems like you are letting some feelings out here, and I can honestly say that the writing that has gone over best for me was the expression of true feelings.

Nice job

Gwenellen

Coulda Been.....

It sounds like you and your brother were close. He sounds like he was a good kid. I'm sorry for his loss.

Could you share some more good memories of you and your brother? I would like to get to know him through your memories. Did you two really go out together, A lot? did he accept you as intersexed?

A.A.

He was a great kid

but unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time with him. I was always gone from our home town. When I was there, I'd go and do stuff with him, though. He accepted me, but was too afraid of most of our family to let on in front of them. He would introduce me to his friends as his big sister, and I miss him so much...
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...