Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 87

Printer-friendly version

Cathy blows her top at a right little banker!

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 87.

It's interesting that when you can't do something how badly you want to do it. Then when you get to do it, the experience is very different to how you had imagined it. While living as a boy, I always wanted to be able to wear high heels and hear them clicking as I walked. I sometimes even slipped on my mother's when I was younger and tottered up and down the patio, listening to the noise they made.

Now, I suppose I could wear them whenever I wanted, and I did still want to wear them. I mean a couple of weeks is hardly enough to compensate for years of yearning. However, clattering my way along the hospital corridor was so noisy and being a self-conscious soul began to grate a little. Outdoors it was okay, just about. Indoors and in an echo chamber like a hospital corridor, it sounded so loud. I almost walked on my toes to make it quieter, instead of the crash, crash crash of my heels.

I suppose this took my mind off the business to which I was heading like a ship in full sail. I entered the ward, and my father was walking up and down with a physio helper. I stopped and watched as he tried so hard to get mobile and independent again. I was nearly in tears watching him, and I felt so proud of his efforts, a bit like watching a toddler master walking.

I was aware of someone behind me, it was that bloke from the bank. "Shouldn't we, get on with this?" he said waving a sheaf of papers at me.

"That man struggling to walk is my father. If your bank can't wait for two minutes while he tries to regain his independence, then I shall get him to close his account first thing tomorrow morning."

"There's no need to be so combative, Mister um Miss erm."

"I have spent the whole morning dealing with piddling, petty bureaucrats, so my tolerance is low. I am Miss Watts, that is my father Mister Watts. If you haven't grasped that much, then I would prefer to deal with someone who can."

He flushed with anger but controlled himself. Good, I thought, serve you right you bastard! I've taken it all day, now it's my turn to dish it out.

My talking in a loud voice made my father recognise me and it gave him the excuse he needed to stop his exercises. He slumped in his chair absolutely knackered and I wondered how much participation he would have in this business.

It turned out as I predicted, he managed to stay awake just long enough for it all to be legal enough to allow the bank to grant me power to deal with his affairs, like paying his bills and writing cheques.

He identified me and brought a tear to my eye when asked who I was, he replied. "C-ath-y, m-y dor-or." He couldn't sign, so the sister on the ward was asked to witness this problem, which she was happy to do.
A little later, my dad was dead-oh and snoring, and the sister was asking if I could bake him another cake, because that was all he was eating.

"Why isn't he eating hospital meals, they're not that bad are they?"

"I don't know, but he insists on eating your sponge."

"Why for God's sake?"

"Because you made it for him."

It was a good job we were in her office, because I said, "What?" very loudly, "but we hardly spoke for the past year, except to insult each other. The only thing we had in common was our mutual contempt."

"Life threatening illness changes people's perspectives. The stroke probably gave him quite a fright, especially so soon after your mother's death. You are all he has, you have suddenly become important and precious to him."

"Oh hell, I don't need this. I'm just about to start a PhD, I haven't got time to look after him. So I hope that isn't what he's hoping for."

"I don't honestly know. The opinion is that he is making very good progress and may soon be able to go to rehabilitation centre. It would be their assessment which determined what happened next together with his progress. I don't honestly know if he will become independent again."

I shook my head, I could not give into the blackmail that was afflicting my conscience. Why should I? Because he needs me, came back the answer. How about what I need? That doesn't count, daughters often sacrifice their careers to look after elderly or infirm parents.
Tough, this one ain't!

I sat and watched him sleep. I did love him but I wasn't sure if it was enough to risk my future. Was there some way I could compromise by doing half my stuff at Bristol Uni and linking with Portsmouth? I didn't know and was half afraid to think too much about it, the amount of work the whole thing would generate was enormous and I doubted I could cope. Why does this always happen to me? I stood up and went off to the hospital cafeteria and had a cuppa and a bun. When I clattered back to the ward, he was still asleep so I pecked him on the cheek and walked out, tears almost obliterating my vision.

As I walked I looked up at the sky and cursed it, "Having fun are you you bastard, fucking up my life again just when I think it's working out. Well I'm not gonna let you, so you can stick that exactly where you like!" In response, the skies opened and I was soaked before I got back to the car. I laughed, "I suppose I asked for that, but I still think you're a bastard."

The rest of the week was spent baking cakes with a variety of fillings and flavours, taking them into the hospital and and writing my plan for the government study. The latter took me longer than I'd hoped but I had managed to email it to Prof Agnew by the thursday evening.

Of course I day dreamed about Simon, and dreamed about him at night several times. There was no sign or sound from him. I began to worry that he'd heard about me and done a runner. I felt that I couldn't contact Stella either because he would hear of it and feel I was pressuring him. The future began to look far less rosy and I must admit, I began to feel a bit depressed. Even the joy of laying in bed worrying over what delicious bit of clothing I should wear today, got boring. I was becoming an ordinary woman, cooking, cleaning and visiting my dad, with some of my own work thrown in when I could find time. It was as far from glamorous as I was from those dreadful tg stories I used to read on the net, which suggested women must always be just so, with perfect clothes and make up. Yeah that was me, scruffy jeans covered in flour, waiting for the machine to finish the washing so I could hang it out. Yeah, very glamorous!

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well finally

Cathy is finally finding out what it is to be a real woman.

Sure the glamour and glitz happens once in a while, but then after the glamour and glitz are gone, what is left? The mundane and the routine.

We women always find that doing makeup, day after day, gets old, there are times we just say to heck with it and do the minimal job. Sure it is nice to be glamorous, but doing it everyday just get's tedious and tiring. Putting jeans and a T on is fine by most women, and going naked as far as makeup goes becomes something to relish. That is one thing we admire about the males, they have to do almost nothing in the morning than the three S's. Yes I know shaving is a drudge, but how long does that take with respect to us women? We usually spend more than ten minutes putting on makeup, another 10 to 15 to doing are hair (f we aren't having a bad hair day), figuring out what we need to wear for the day, and after all that, we usually have to wake up the master, get his breakfast and clean the house. Then think about going to work.

You think the men would appreciate all this, but they just take it for granted and complain it takes us to long to get ready. Pfffpppt!

Ok, ok, ok, so I am griping, but it is nice to see someone writing this into their stories and make people realize there is more to being a woman than just looking pretty for everyone.

Good job Angharad.

Hugs
Joni

Reality bites

No life is all glamorous. If somebody gets SRS to run around in make-up and dresses, then it was for the wrong reason. I don't think Cathy is guilty of this, however. Honestly, we all like to get glammed up from time to time, even me, and I'm a committed jeans type of gal. I wear them three-fourths of the time, yet I still own more dresses than Levis. (Shocked, Angharad?) Although when I wore a skirt and heels to work the other day most of my coworkers went into shock. I think it was my pasty white legs that did it. And by the end of the day I was in pain, damn my feet hurt!

Brava, Angharad, for another great chapter!

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Comfortable shoes...

I thought I finally had it made as a crossdresser when some natal women complimented me on my choice of comfortable shoes for an extended round of window shoppping. I simply looked around at what other females my age were wearing, and dressed appropriately. I just think that is the proper thing to do...

It isn't the closthes that makes a lady, it is the attitude, in my opinion anyway.

Lovely story!

Hugs!

Jenna

perfection

The perfect wife will have dinner ready 15min after her husband comes home from work. And probably wear pearls.
I'm trying to keep my comments humorous and light. Especially since I don't know the issues everybody else is talking about, I would guess a lot of them are activists. and these issues strike close to home, you have my ear and support.

Kevn