Being Christina Chase | Chapter 31: The New Year's Dance

Printer-friendly version

"David," Christina said, "I'm glad that you and I got a chance to talk tonight. See, I'm on to your little scheme. Nina isn't going anywhere with you tonight."

David sneered, "Why don't you let Nina make up her own mind?"
 

Being Christina Chase

Chapter 31 - The New Year's Dance

by Admiral Krunch

 

        Steph walked triumphantly into the hall on Andrei's arm. She paused at the entrance and shot elated glances to either side of the room.

        Christina watched Steph from behind, drinking in her curves through her black halter dress. Christina was almost certain that she'd seen that look in another old movie, but she couldn't place it. As much as she still desired Steph, tonight she would have preferred to be the one on Andrei's arm. If she hadn't entered alone, perhaps she wouldn't have felt quite so naked in the crowd.

        Steph waved at Lisa, who was slow dancing on the floor with a young man in a Marine uniform who was easily a foot taller than her. Coaxing Andrei onto the dance floor, Steph started dancing next to Lisa and her date. That left Christina standing alone in front of the whole room.

        Christina took stock of the transformed meeting hall. An impressive DJ system had been set up on the small stage along the far wall. A young boy sat behind a table, acting as the disc jockey. The ceiling was covered with banners, and nets holding back an ocean of balloons. Christina had never expected the small town of Oak Grove to pull out all the stops like this. By the looks of things, this might be the biggest event of the year.

        Scanning the crowd for any signs of Nina, Christina was shocked by how many people she recognized. Abigail Rosenberg was behind a long table where she was apparently talking Mr. Conrad's ear off. Mr. Conrad sat begrudgingly behind a large punch bowl, filling paper cups, and placing them in rows. She also recognized her mailman, and she saw Marge from the diner, dancing with a bald man that Christina assumed was her husband. She was sure a tall boy who came in from the hallway was William, the waiter from the Clairmont Inn. There were dozens of others that looked familiar, though she wasn't sure of their names.

        As Christina continued to search the crowd, she realized that the crowd was looking back. Several young men smiled and made eye contact with her, but she kept her head moving as to not encourage them. Reasoning that a moving target would be harder to trap, she stepped nervously into the crowd. As she weaved her way through the throng of people, she overheard a conversation between some older girls to her left.

        "Is that her?" one girl asked. "That's Christina Chase, right?"

        "Yeah," another girl responded.

        A third girl added, "My God you were right, she looks just like Anna."

        Christina pushed through the crowd, returning smiles as she went. A line of folding chairs was arranged against the back wall of the meeting hall and various people were seated and talking.

        She recognized one boy talking to four others, the boy from Arnold's electronics store. He stood in front of his seated friends, wearing a suit jacket that was ever so slightly too large for his frame. Christina was approaching him from behind. When the boy's friends saw Christina, they immediately stopped talking and stared at her in awe. Seeing their reactions, the boy spun around and nearly fell backward at the sight of Christina in Anastasia's scandalous dress.

        "Hey," Christina smiled. "You probably don't remember me, but-"

        "I remember you!" The boy croaked nervously. "Every night!"

        Christina raised an eyebrow.

        "I mean," the boy stuttered, "Think of you." He smacked himself on the forehead and stuttered, "I mean ... hi."

        "Do you remember that time I came into the store with my cousin Nina?" she asked.

        The boy moved his mouth several times as though words would form at any moment, but in the end, he was only able to manage a nod.

        "Have you seen her here tonight?" Christina asked.

        The boy looked around intently, then admitted, "No." He grimaced as though he was disappointed by his own answer. "But I can help you find her," he insisted as he spun around and stepped forward into a folding chair. He took a clumsy tumble over the top of the chair, bringing both it and himself to a thunderous crash.

        Gasping in shock, Christina quickly bent down and helped the boy up.

        The boy was lost in the tangles of Christina's long hair and the fragrance of her perfume. His eyes locked on her delicious breasts that hung mere inches away from his face.

        Christina helped the boy to a chair and looked him over. He didn't appear as though he had been seriously hurt, though Christina didn't appreciate the lovesick look on his face. "Are you okay?" Christina asked.

        The boy made a slight twitch that could be taken for a nod.

        "What's your name?" she pressed.

        The boy opened his mouth but in Christina's presence, he couldn't quite remember what his name was.

        "It's Ryan," offered one of the other boys nervously.

        "Ryan," Christina smiled, "Can you do me a big favor?"

        Ryan grunted "Sure," and sprang back to his feet.

        Christina put her tiny hands on the lanky boy's shoulders and sat him back down. "If you see Nina, just point, okay?"

        Ryan blurted, "Okay." He was elated just to receive a grateful smile from the ravishing girl.

        Christina smiled at the other boys as well, then left them. She almost felt bad for Ryan. She could remember a time in junior high when she had been that uncomfortable around girls. As Christina walked back out into the crowd, she heard the faint sound of Ryan's voice say, "That was her! See? I told you!" Christina couldn't stifle the pride she felt at Ryan's reaction. Being beautiful was not the worst thing in the world, she thought.

        Still finding no sign of Nina, Christina began to worry. Nina had left the house before she and Andrei had, and she didn't want to think about where David might have taken her.

        Christina noticed that two different men were moving through the crowd towards her, and she quickly became more concerned about herself than her cousin. She could tell by the looks in their eyes that they intended to ask her to dance. Maybe being beautiful was more trouble than it was worth, she decided. Making an about-face, she pushed her way to the refreshments table.

        "Hello, Christina," Abby called from the other side of the table. Putting her hand to her cheek, she leaned over and said, "Goodness girl, you can't go around wearing that dress unless you want someone to call the fire department!"

        Christina forced herself to laugh along with Abby's trademark snort and admitted, "Actually, I was hoping to get out of the spotlight for a moment."

        Abby joked, "You're doing a lousy job," motioning over Christina's shoulder with her eyes.

        Christina spun around and found herself cornered by a handsome young man with short black hair.

        "Hi," Christina said nervously.

        "Hello," the man said as he drank Christina in with his eyes. "My name is Adam."

        "I'm Chris-"

        "Christina Chase," He finished.

        "Right," Christina said as she forced a grin.

        "You don't think there's anyone here who doesn't know who you are, do you?" he said as he chuckled.

        Christina deflected, "I was hoping maybe a few ..."

        "You're the talk of Oak Grove."

        "That's ... nice?"

        Adam held out his hand and asked, "So... I was wondering if I could get a dance with the most beautiful girl in town."

        "Uh ... " Christina froze. "I'd love to dance with you, but I can't ... because ..." Why couldn't she dance with him? There must have been a good reason. Actually, there was a great reason, but Christina knew she couldn't share it. "Because ..." Christina saw a familiar face out of the corner of her eye and she shot her arm sideways. Laying her hand on a much older man's shoulder, she explained, "Because I promised Doctor Stone the first dance."

        "What's this?" Doctor Stone asked as though he were just woken from a nap.

        "Dance with me!" Christina giggled in a frazzled voice.

        Doctor Stone patted the hand on his shoulder and apologized, "Oh little lady, I'm afraid I don't dance anymore."

        Christina had to think fast. She instinctively pouted and begged, "Please Doctor Stone? It's a medical emergency." Twirling a lock of her hair with her finger, she shot the old man a devilish smile.

        The old man smiled and said, "I suppose it would be a violation of the oath to refuse." He held out his arm, and Christina was all too happy to wrap her arm around it. As Doctor Stone led Christina onto the dance floor, she wondered if Adam was still watching her, but she realized looking back at him would only be misconstrued as flirtation.

        Christina took Doctor Stone's old wrinkled hand in hers, and placed her other hand on his shoulder. She had planned to be gentle with the old man, but she was surprised when he took Christina by the waist, and spun her expertly around the room. The spinning sent a tickle through Christina's stomach, and she laughed in spite of herself. "I thought you said you couldn't dance?" she beamed.

        "Never said I couldn't," he grunted, "Just said I don't no more."

        "Why not? You're fantastic!"

        Doctor Stone slowed the pace to catch his breath. "You see darlin'," he started, "I haven't danced with anyone since my Eunice passed on."

        "I'm so sorry to hear that. How long has it been?"

        "Oh, going on fourteen years now," Doctor Stone answered casually.

        "Fourteen years!" Christina gasped as the old man spun her around.

        "That's right. Fourteen years come next April. Every year I expect I'll join her, but each year this damned body of mine refuses to quit," he joked. "Eunice always said I couldn't sleep so long as anyone in my town was taken ill. I suppose I won't drop dead until every man, woman, and child in Oak Grove is in perfect health."

        Christina forced a weak smile and asked, "Do you still miss her?"

        He answered, "Well, I suppose I do, darlin', I suppose I do."

        "I know what it's like to lose people," Christina said solemnly. "Sometimes it feels like all you ever do is lose people."

        Doctor Stone whirled Christina boisterously around the room until they were both smiling again. "Now that's not the kind of talk I'd expect from you. You've got your whole life to look forward to." The coy old man dipped Christina as much as his back would allow, and Christina practically squealed in delight.

        "Fourteen years is a long time to be alone though."

        Doctor Stone grinned slyly and said, "I'm never alone. I got my work, I got my town, and right now I got every man in the room wishin' he was me."

        As the music died down, everyone clapped. The boy who was working the sound system announced that he was taking a short break, and put on a prerecorded play list. Doctor Stone escorted Christina back to Abby's table and handed her a large cup of punch.

        "Darlin', you listen to me, and you listen good, 'cause it ain't often I have anythin' worthwhile to say. But, I hope I'm not boasting when I tell you that the few things I got figured out are worth knowing."

        Christina took a drink of her punch and listened intently.

        "Now you say fourteen years is a long time to be alone, and maybe it is. Hell, maybe eighty-nine is too old to be practicin' medicine. Hogwash, I say! One minute is too long to live if all you ever think about is what you 'aint got or who 'aint around no more. When I lost my Eunice, I was mad as hell at the world. And when I realized I wasn't fixed to die anytime soon, it just made me even more ornery. But one day, I got up and I realized that I could spend the rest of my days being miserable, or I could thank the Lord for every moment I'd had with that dear woman. Every moment was a gift, and, well, it just seemed that complain' about not havin' any more time made me the most ungrateful creature on God's green Earth."

        Christina put her cup down on the table and said, "I don't understand how that makes things any better."

        "That's 'cause you're too damned young," the old man mused. "You oughtn't be thinkin' about that sort of drudgery. You should be fallin' in love and enjoyin' the moment. Now get out there, and find a young man to dance with, 'cause the good Lord knows somethin' as pretty as you is wasted on an old thing like me."

        Christina smiled warmly at the kind old man and kissed him on the cheek. "You can dance with me any time, Doctor Stone," she beamed.

        Doctor Stone actually blushed. The color in his cheeks gave way to a raised eyebrow as he motioned to the wall behind Christina and exclaimed, "I think that youngun' is having a seizure."

        Looking over Doctor Stone's shoulder, Christina saw Ryan pointing so furiously, that she expected his arm would fly out of its socket at any moment. "Excuse me, Doctor Stone," Christina said politely, "I have to go talk to someone."

        Doctor Stone nodded as Christina went back into the crowd, in the direction that Ryan had pointed. She was single-minded as she pushed past potential dance partners and the few people who had yet to see the famous Christina Chase in the flesh. Christina didn't find Nina, but she did see David. He was standing in a group of other boys his age. Christina wasn't sure, but she thought she saw David pass a small metal flask to one of his friends. She didn't like the look of any of the boys, and she was furious that David was drinking.

        "Where's Nina?" Christina commanded. She tried to sound imposing, but she couldn't disguise the anxiety in her voice.

        David looked to his friends then back to Christina and snidely responded, "She's in the girls' room."

        Christina scanned David's eyes to see whether he was lying and then without a word she stormed across the floor towards the restrooms. Christina was overjoyed when she saw her younger cousin leaving the girls' room. "Nina," Christina cried, "Where have you been?"

        "David and I stopped by Jenny's house to pick up her and Peter," Nina calmly explained. "They took a while to get ready."

        Hanging her head, Christina sighed in relief.

        "Okay," Nina asked suspiciously, "What's the big deal?"

        "Nothing," Christina said. "I just didn't know where you were, and I kinda freaked out a little."

        "Apparently," the girl said sarcastically. Looking over to her friends, Nina added, "Everyone's kinda waiting for me ..."

        "Right," Christina said, "Look, just don't get too far away from me tonight okay?"

        "Did Mom tell you to spy on me?" Nina asked in a hurt voice.

        "No," Christina bluffed. "I just want you close ... so ... you can see who I end up kissing at midnight?" Christina choked on the words as they exited her mouth.

        "Oh right," Nina agreed seriously. She asked, "Who did you dance with so far?"

        A deep voice from beside the girls said, "I'm not sure, but I think I was next on the list."

        Turning to her right, Christina saw Adam standing there holding next to her, holding out his hand.

        "Uh ..." Christina muttered as her brain gave out.

        "Yeah, you're next," Nina answered as she grinned mischievously. Giving her cousin a little shove, she knocked Christina into Adam's arms.

        The man immediately pulled Christina onto the dance floor, and before she knew it, Christina was trapped in the arms of the amorous male. Having no option but to play along, she put on her best smile and allowed Adam to lead her around the hall. At least it wasn't a complete loss. So long as Christina stayed on the dance floor, she had a clear view of her younger cousin. Of course, she had to spend some time returning her dance partner's hopeful gazes as well.

        Much to her surprise, Adam was a complete gentleman. When the song was over she could tell he wanted another dance, but another young man with an angular chin and wavy hair was waiting expectantly at her side.

        "You probably don't remember me," he said nervously.

        "Harold!" she beamed. Turning to her dance partner, Christina apologized, "Adam, I simply have to dance with my friend Harold." Adam bowed out gracefully, and Christina placed her hand on Harold's shoulder. The young man was not nearly as good a dancer as Adam, but Christina didn't mind.

        Christina gushed, "I never thanked you properly for my sunflowers."

        "It was nothing," Harold insisted.

        "You made my night!"

        Harold laughed nasally and responded, "You're making my year!"

        Christina blushed furiously as Harold spun her around the dance floor.

        That's was how the night progressed. Christina found that she had no end to her dance partners. Secure in the knowledge that Nina was safely within sight, Christina was able to relax and enjoy herself. Dancing with the men of Ok Grove wasn't at all what she expected. They were all polite, and most of them seemed seriously smitten. There was something intoxicating about being the girl every man wanted to dance with. Before she knew it, Christina was actually enjoying dancing the night away with one handsome man after the next.

        Christina was grateful when the boy on stage took his second break of the night. Walking in heels was now second nature to her, but dancing in them for prolonged periods of time was still a major challenge. She thanked her current dance partner Steven, and blushed when he insisted on kissing her hand. Tossing Steven a tiny wave goodbye with her fingers, Christina left the dance floor in search of Andrei. She found her older cousin and Steph sitting against the far wall and sipping on punch.

        "Christina Chase!" Steph remarked, "I see your dance card overrunneth."

        "My feet are killing me," Christina grinned.

        "You should have thought twice before wearing a weapons-grade outfit like that," Steph quipped.

        "This dress was not my idea," Christina objected.

        Steph laughed and said, "Yeah well, who ever came up with that theory should get a Nobel Prize."

        "I'm not the only one who looks good tonight," Christina sparred.

        Steph pointed to the stage and said, "Twenty bucks says if you dive off the stage, you'll be crowd-surfing before you hit the ground."

        "Steph, you're too much." Christina conceded, "Anyway, I was wondering if you could spare Andrei for a minute? Family meeting."

        Steph pulled Andrei's head down to hers and socked him with a passionate kiss.

        Christina looked away somewhat uncomfortably; a move that was not lost on Andrei.

        "Remember I said you can only dance with me?" Steph asked.

        "Yes," Andrei smiled.

        "Well I lied," Steph purred, "Go take Blondie for a spin."

        "Of course," Andrei said as he rose out of his chair.

        Christina protested, "I didn't mean-" but it was too late. Andrei took her tiny hand in his giant paw and pulled her back onto the dance floor. She was shocked as Andrei pulled her off her feet and gracefully led her into a waltz.

        "When did you get good at this?" she asked in surprise.

        He answered plainly, "Steph likes to dance, so I dance."

        "Who knew you were the perfect man?" Christina giggled.

        After they'd been dancing for a while, Andrei asked, "Hey ... are you sure you're okay with me and Steph."

        Christina rolled her eyes lightheartedly and answered, "No. I don't think I'll ever get used to sharing either of you."

        "You shouldn't complain," Andrei joked. "It looks like you already have a hundred boyfriends."

        "It's not my boyfriends I'm worried about."

        "What do you mean?" Andrei asked.

        Christina pointed across the dance floor with her eyes towards Nina and David. "I think David is drinking."

        Andrei shot a protective glance at his sister. "Do you want me to talk to him?" he asked gravely.

        "No," Christina said, "I'll take care of that. You just have to promise me one thing; no matter what, Nina is coming home with us tonight."

        "Not a problem," Andrei replied. "And if you change your mind, let me know, and I'll beat David senseless."

        The music stopped, and Christina hugged her older cousin. She asked, "How do you always know how to say exactly the right thing to cheer me up?"

        "Must be genetics," he joked.

        Steph snuck up beside her boyfriend and draped her arm on top of his broad shoulder. "Okay Tina, time's up," Steph said. "You understand, if you've damaged him in any way, I'll be keeping your security deposit."

        Christina laughed at Steph, joking, "You know, some of us are here alone, so you can dial the 'happy couple' down a notch."

        "Not a chance, Stretch," Steph said as she pulled Andrei's face down to hers for another kiss.

        While Andrei and Steph were kissing, Lisa came over with the man in the Marine uniform.

        "Hey Christina," Lisa said, "Have you met my fiancee, Oliver?"

        "No," Christina beamed as she shook Oliver's hand. "I had no idea you were engaged."

        "I asked Lisa six months ago," Oliver told her as he smiled at Lisa. "I was going to wait for my tour to finish, but I just couldn't. I proposed to her right on the video uplink."

        Lisa held out her hand so that Christina could inspect her ring. "He had to call his brother and have him deliver it. I wish Oliver had been there in person, but this was still so romantic."

        Not wanting to deal with yet another happy couple, Christina sighed, "Actually that is really romantic." Casting a glance over her shoulder, Christina said, "Hey, I have to find Nina, I'll catch up with you later."

        Making her escape, Christina scanned the dance floor and trained her sights on Nina. She and David were slowly working their way towards Abby's table. "I'm going to talk to Nina," she stated as she left Andrei and Steph alone.

        As Christina went across the dance floor, she watched every move that David made. She saw all the little kisses he planted on Nina's neck, and the way he draped his arm around her cousin's waist so that his hand was dangling dangerously close to Nina's butt. None of these things worried Christina as much as what she saw next. David took out his small metal flask from his breast pocket, and covertly spiked two glasses of punch. He held one of the drinks out to Nina, and that's when Christina began sprinting.

        "Nina! There you are!" Christina chuckled as though nothing was wrong. Reaching between Nina and David for a cup of punch, she "accidentally" bumped Nina's drink out of her hand. The large cup bounced on the floor and splashed David's shoes and the cuffs of his pants. David stepped back angrily and appraised the damage.

        "Christina!" Nina balked.

        "Oh, I'm so sorry!" Christina sang in an insincere voice.

        "It's no problem," David snapped as he shook the leg of his pants. "I'll just get Nina another one."

        Christina looked David directly in the eyes and sneered, "I dunno, I'm so clumsy, I might spill that one too."

        David returned Christina's sneer then said to Nina, "I'm gonna get cleaned up, babe." He looked back at Christina and said, "I'll be right back."

        Christina answered, "And I'll be here when you do," as she eyeballed the back of the boy's head as he walked across the hall and into the men's room.

        "What has got into you?" Nina complained.

        Christina said, "Nina, I saw David drinking when you two got here."

        Nina threw her hands up in the air and complained, "So what? Everyone is drinking! I'm the only person in school who doesn't drink!"

        "Well, you're not going to start tonight," Christina admonished.

        "I wasn't going to!"

        Christina said seriously, "Nina, David spiked your drink."

        "He did not!"

        "Yeah he did. And Nina, I don't trust him. I don't think he's right for you."

        Nina was furious. "You don't know how David really is," she argued. "He said he loves me."

        "Nina, you're too young to know what that really means! And that kid is a liar."

        Nina thrust her finger accusingly at her older cousin and shouted, "You're just jealous because your boyfriend didn't want to take you to the dance!"

        "Nina!" Christina exclaimed in a hurt voice.

        Nina stormed across the room and waited by the men's room.

        Christina watched her younger cousin and frowned. She didn't want to fight with Nina, but at some point she had to tell her what kind of boy David really was. She knew Nina wouldn't want to hear it, but Christina had never expected Nina to believe David over her. David emerged from the bathroom with a few of his friends, and Christina saw him drinking from his flask again. Her heart sank as David took Nina's hand, and they again joined the crowd.

        As Christina tried to follow Nina as she blended into the throng of people, she noticed a red haired boy leaning against the wall. Though he looked vaguely familiar, Christina couldn't quite place him. What interested her more than the boy's identity was the fact that he was looking longingly at Nina. Christina's eyes followed the boy as shuffled along the back wall until he found a folding chair in a remote corner. Grabbing two glasses of punch, Christina set off to meet him.

        Christina sat down next to the boy who was so lost in thought that he didn't notice Christina's presence. The boy looked up as Christina cleared her throat, and she handed him one of the drinks.

        "Hi," Christina smiled. "I'm-"

        "Christina Chase," The boy finished.

        "Right. I keep forgetting that everyone already knows that." She waited a moment then asked, "What's your name?"

        Realizing that he was being incredibly rude, the boy brushed back the mop of red hair that was covering his freckled face and held out his hand. "I'm James," he said.

        Shaking his hand, Christina said, "I know you from somewhere ..."

        "Me?" he asked.

        "Yeah ..." Christina answered as she searched her memory.

        Raising her eyebrows in recognition, she said, "Chinese food. You delivered Chinese food to Richard Master's office."

        "Yeah," James said as he nodded. "I work at Mandarin Delight."

        "That's not it though," Christina said. "It's somewhere else ..." Christina squinted her eyes at James and racked her memory. "Arnold's."

        "What?"

        "Last year, Nina and I were in Arnold's electronics. You and that other kid carried our bags back to the grocery store."

        James laughed uncomfortably and said, "You must have a photographic memory."

        Christina playfully messed the tangle of hair on James' head and said, "You're not hard to miss."

        James looked longingly across the room at Nina and said, "Oh, I don't know about that."

        "So how long have you been in love with my cousin?" Christina casually asked as she sipped her punch.

        James shook his head and weakly protested, "I'm not in love with Nina."

        "Come off it James," Christina grinned. "I've seen that look in a boy's face before, and I know what it means. That look says ..." Christina trailed off as her brain connected the dots. "Wait a minute!" she exclaimed. "It was you!"

        "What was me?" The boy asked nervously.

        "You were the one that left the gift on the front porch!" she said in mock accusal.

        James squeaked, "I didn't give Nina the reindeer!"

        "I never said it was a reindeer," Christina responded slyly. "Very smooth, James, but the whole secret admirer thing doesn't get you very far."

        "Yeah okay, it was me," James admitted as he crossed his arms. The whole conversation had him obviously unnerved.

        Christina put her hand on James' shoulder and said, "Well, it was very sweet. Why don't you ask Nina to dance?"

        "I don't think that's a good idea."

        "Why not?"

        "Because she's with David."

        "Well I don't know how much longer that's going to last," Christina said testily.

        "I got the impression it was pretty serious."

        "Why would you say that?" Christina asked.

        James pointed to where David and his friends were dancing with their girlfriends and explained, "I overheard David and Peter in the men's room."

        "And?"

        " ... and they said that they got a room," James answered uncomfortably, "After the dance they're going to ... you know ..."

        Christina's eyes went wide. She muttered, "That little shit!" Turning to James she said, "James, I need your help."

        "What?"

        Christina said, "I need you to dance with me."

        "Dance with you?" James croaked, "I ... I don't know how to dance."

        Standing up, Christina held out her slender, gloved arm and ordered, "Dance with me!"

        James shot out of his chair and took Christina's hand.

        "Wait a minute," Christina said quickly. "Do you drink?"

        "This one time at a wedding ..." James said awkwardly.

        "And what grade are you in?"

        James responded, "I'm a junior."

        "And what are your plans after high school?" Christina fired.

        "I was saving up money for college ... or maybe take a year off to go to Europe and find myself ... Jesus you're intense."

        "You don't know the half of it," she remarked as she yanked James onto the dance floor.

        "Everyone is staring at us," James said nervously.

        "It's just the dress," Christina dismissed.

        "No, I think it's the fact that we're just standing here ... cause I don't know how to dance," he balked.

        Christina took James' hand and placed it on her hip. Taking his other hand in hers, she stepped side to side. "Just do this," Christina instructed. James made his best effort to mimic his partner, and Christina said, "There you go. Now you're dancing." Taking her hand off James' shoulder, she lifted his face to meet hers and added, "Don't look at my feet, look into my eyes." Christina gave the boy an encouraging smile.

        Feeling awkward leading, Christina allowed James to take over once he had gained a little confidence. "Just relax and have fun," Christina advised as she danced with the boy through two songs. Though James wasn't a great dancer, he quickly became competent enough for phase two of Christina's plan.

        Nudging James across the floor, Christina danced closer to Nina until she and David were dancing next to James and herself. When the song finished, Christina turned to her cousin and gushed, "Nina! Why don't you dance one dance with James here, and I'll dance with David."

        "Why?" Nina asked pointedly.

        "Because," Christina apologized, "I suppose I should get to know David a little better."

        "Alright," Nina agreed grudgingly.

        Christina pushed James forward and whispered, "Remember to look into her eyes."

        James and Nina started dancing, leaving Christina facing David. She held out her tiny hand, and David took it. Christina was immediately assaulted by the stink of cheap alcohol on his breath. Christina edged them further away from Nina until the girl was out of earshot. After Christina and David had been dancing for a short while, Christina felt a hand slide down her back and rest confidently on her ass.

        Christina reached behind herself and slid David's hand forcefully back to her waist. "My," she mused venomously, "Aren't we ambitious."

        "I just know what I like," David stated.

        "David," Christina said, "I'm glad that you and I got a chance to talk tonight. See, I'm on to your little scheme. Nina isn't going anywhere with you tonight."

         David sneered, "Why don't you let Nina make up her own mind?"

        "Because you've got her fooled into thinking you're someone that you're not. But you don't fool me, and I'm telling you how it's gonna be."

        "And what makes you think I give a fuck what you say?"

        "Geeze Davy, I guess you're not seeing the big picture. See Nina's brother over there?" Christina said as she tossed her eyes in Andrei's direction. "I wouldn't want to be on Andrei's bad side. And if you think he's large, have you had a look at Nina's dad?"

        "You think I'm afraid of him?"

        Christina pulled herself close to David and whispered into his ear, "If you had half a brain, you little shit, you would be. But they aren't the ones you have to worry about. If you touch my cousin, or hurt her in any way, you'll answer to me. I'll twist your little balls right off and feed them to you. You get me, David?" Christina pushed herself back and stared straight through the younger boy. "So you might want to think about whether you can afford to keep seeing Nina."

        Christina studied the look on David's face. She'd obviously rattled the boy, though she could tell that he wasn't quite ready to throw in the towel. The two of them were locked in an icy stare until the song came to an end. Nina and James came back over, and Christina gushed, "Nina, isn't James a great dancer?"

        "I suck," James laughed.

        Christina patted him on the back and said, "But you have great potential." Stepping out of the way, Christina let Nina stand next to David. "Wasn't this fun?" Christina said through a fake smile. "I'm so glad I got a chance to dance with you David," she said to the boy. "I think we understand each other much better now."

         Taking James by the hand and, Christina started back towards the chairs against the wall. Christina looked over her shoulder and added, "Oh by the way Nina, David asked me to take you home tonight. He's had a few, and he said he just didn't feel right driving." She looked pointedly at David with cold eyes and asked, "Isn't that right?"

        "Whatever," David sneered as he grabbed Nina's hand and stormed to the other side of the hall where their friends were standing.

        Once he reached them, Christina stared the boy down until David turned his back on her.

        "I can't believe I danced with Nina!" James exclaimed dreamily.

        "You've got it bad, don't you." Christina said. Holding James by the shoulders, Christina said, "Look James, you seem like a nice kid so I'm going to give you some advice. If you want to go out with Nina, you have to stop it with the secret presents and hiding in the corner."

        "I wasn't hiding," James objected weakly.

        "Look, the thing girls like most is confidence. No one's going to be sure about you, unless you're sure about yourself. And if you have feelings for a girl, don't just think about, or say it, DO something about it. You have to put yourself out there."

        James nodded and repeated, "Okay ... put myself out there."

        "Girls love grand, romantic gestures," Christina explained, "They all want to be swept off their feet."

        James nodded again.

        "Okay?" Christina asked.

        "Yeah, okay," James responded enthusiastically.

        Christina patted James on the back and sent him on his way. Squinting her eyes at the clock on the far wall, she saw that it was twelve minutes to midnight. She'd been so consumed with entertaining her dance partners and watching Nina that she'd lost track of time. Christina was nearly out of time to sneak into the ladies' room.

        Pushing nervously through the crowd, Christina made a break for the exit. Couples filled the dance floor. It seemed as though everyone in the room was pairing up in anticipation of the new year. Deflecting an offer to dance from a handsome man in a white suit, Christina moved closer to the restrooms. On the way, three other men did their best to get her attention. Grinning politely, Christina politely refused each one in turn. It was like navigating a minefield.

        Christina finally made it all the way to the entrance of the building. She walked into the hallway and looked back inside. Everyone had a partner. Christina could see Steph and Andrei. Close by, was Lisa and her fiance Oliver. Even though Christina didn't approve of David, she had to admit Nina looked happy in his arms. It seemed that everyone else had someone special in their lives.

        Christina had survived a marathon year. She'd spent most of her time working a hectic schedule in a dreary cubicle. When she hadn't been at work, she'd been busy worrying about her family. Though Amy had been gone for almost a year, Christina still felt the sting of desertion. It was only now that she realized just how lonely she felt.

        Walking out of view of the main hall, Christina sat on a hard wooden bench across from the restrooms and arranged the skirt of her dress. She looked out the large glass doors. Staring into the cold black night, she wished it would snow.

        The sound of music echoed through the hallway. Christina heard the boy on stage announce "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper. She could picture love-struck couples pulling themselves tightly together. She wondered if anyone even noticed she was gone. As the song started playing in the dance hall, Christina hung her head and sulked.

        Christina was stunned by a sudden blast of freezing cold air. It stung the bare flesh of her face and chest and blew her hair sideways. Looking up, saw a man enter through the front doors.

        Richard walked in, his eyes meeting Christina's. Standing in front of her, he held out his hands. Awestruck, Christina took Richard's hands, and the man pulled her to her feet.

        "Hi Princess," he said tenderly.

        "What are you doing here?"

        "I came for you," he replied.

        Christina's thought she felt her heart skip a beat. She said, "But you said you had important business ..."

        "I do," Richard said. I was sitting in my room, and I couldn't concentrate on anything but you. All I could think about was walking you home." Richard closed his eyes and smiled. "I could see the snow falling into your hair. I tried to focus on my work, but none of it seemed to matter. I realized ... that there was nothing more important to me than being here tonight, with you."

        Christina slid her arms around Richard's broad chest and leaned her head against his shoulder. She said, "I can't believe you drove all the way here."

        Richard held her and said, "You did promise me a dance. I hope I'm not too late."

        Christina let go of Richard and smiled up at him. She blushed, "No, but you cut it awfully close."

        Richard put his arm around Christina's slender waist and walked her through the hallway and out onto the dance floor. Their eyes never left each other along the way. Richard pulled Christina against his chest, and she melted into him. No one had ever made her feel this special before. She'd never felt so desired. No matter how much she wanted to resist the man that held her, no one else in the world had ever dropped everything that mattered, just to spend a few moments with her. Christina rested her head on Richard's chest, and the two of them slow danced together.

        When "Time After Time" stopped, the boy on stage played "Auld Lang Syne." It was just moments to midnight. Some people started singing along while others kept dancing. Christina didn't see or hear any of them; in that moment, Richard was the only person that existed. She lookup up dreamily into his eyes and couldn't help getting lost in them. She felt tiny in them in Richard's arms. Normally when Richard held her, she felt pinned or trapped. Tonight she felt safe in his embrace.

        "Ten, nine, eight, seven," the boy on stage called into his microphone, "six, five, four, three, two, one!" As balloons and confetti showered down from the ceiling, the crowd cheered.

        Richard leaned down, and Christina closed her eyes. She felt his lips on hers and opened her mouth slightly. Richard's tongue gently tickled her lips, and she sighed. Christina responded in kind, encouraging Richard to probe deeper. Christina's knees felt weak and leaned on her dance partner for support. Lost in the moment, Christina played with Richard's tongue in her mouth. For the first time, she actually kissed him back. For the first time, she allowed herself to enjoy being kissed. Losing all sense of time and space, Christina existed in world built only for two. With her eyes closed, she knew Richard only by touch and smell. Encircled by his arms, she felt the heat of his body. She tasted desire on his lips. It was as though Richard were engulfing her, and she needed to be consumed.

        When Richard ended the kiss, Christina opened her eyes slowly. She looked around and saw that the applause had ended, the balloons had dropped, and a fair number of people were staring at her. She was certain by the wicked grin on Steph's face that she and Andrei'd had a front row seat. Her faced burned red. It was one thing to kiss Richard, but she'd enjoyed it. Not only that, but the whole town knew it.

        Christina whispered, "People are looking at us."

        "Let them look," Richard crooned. "Better yet, let's give them something to look at."

        With the New Year officially in full swing, the boy at the sound system played another song. "Beyond the Sea" filled the hall, and Richard carried Christina into a graceful start in the middle of the dance floor. Richard led her around with the expert skill. Steph, Andrei, Lisa, Nina, and everyone else near them stopped to watch. Soon, the rest of the crowd had caught on, and Christina saw that she and Richard were performing solo, much to the delight of the room.

        Richard spun Christina around twice in a row, and the crowd clapped. Leading Christina to the other side of the room, Richard dipped her so low that the curls of her long blonde hair caressed the ground. The crowed exploded in a boisterous cheer. Christina's heart raced. She'd spent the entire night trying to keep a low profile, but Richard had ruined that plan. He intended to show her off to the whole world; and how the town took delight in seeing Richard Masters and Christina Chase light up the room. Richard guided Christina back to the middle of the floor and spun with her. Christina, who was not as skilled as her partner, clung to Richard. He was more than able to keep her on her feet.

        And then, before Christina realized, the song was over. Looking nervously around the hall, Christina saw only smiling faces. As the room drowned in applause, Richard shot the crowd a genial wave and escorted Christina over to Abby's stand.

        Flustered and embarrassed, Christina held her hands to her face as she caught her breath. Richard took a glass of champagne for himself and handed Christina a large cup of punch.

        "That was something!" Abby said from the other side of the punch table.

        "Well, Abigail," Richard explained suavely. "It all comes down to finding the right partner."

        "I'll say!" she exclaimed with one of her giggle-snorts.

        "You were incredible!" Steph exploded as she and Andrei emerged from the crowd.

        Christina blushed and buried her face in her glass.

        "And you, Mr. Bond," Steph said, "That big entrance at the end. Very 'When Harry Met Sally...' or 'Sleepless in Seattle...' or some other Tom Hanks - Meg Ryan movie."

        "Joe versus the Volcano?" Andrei asked seriously.

        Christina couldn't help but laugh at her clueless cousin.

        Steph grabbed Andrei by the collar with both hands, and pulled him down for a kiss. "We're going to have a talk when we get home mister," she sassed. "Growing up without cable hasn't been kind to you."

        "Speaking of getting home," Christina said, seizing upon the opportunity, "I think we should get Nina out of here."

        "It's not even one yet," Steph complained.

        "I know," Christina said, "But my uncle doesn't want Nina out late. I also don't want to give David a chance to sneak off with her."

        "That's fine," Steph said. "After we drop Nina off, Andrei and I can sneak off ourselves." Drawing circles on Andrei's enormous chest with her finger, she said, "I have a bottle of champagne waiting at my place, and I'm just dying to pop the cork."

        Christina rolled her eyes, but Richard laughed at the happy couple. He said, "Stephanie, I think you and Christina should spend more time together. She'd enjoy herself more if you rubbed off on her."

        "Perhaps," Steph cooed playfully, "You two should get together and Blondie can rub off on you."

         Laughing, Richard said, "That would be fine too."

        Christina was absolutely mortified. Throwing her hands to her sides, she croaked, "Look at the time! It's getting late, people!" She charged past Andrei and Steph and shouted, "I'm going to get Nina!"

        Making her way through the crowd, Christina was stopped several times along the way by friends and strangers alike. It seemed that everyone wanted to compliment her on her dancing. She was told several times that she and Richard made a fabulous couple. One woman, who was an old high school friend of Anastasia's, told her that Richard was the "catch of a decade." It was an exercise in pure humiliation, but Christina smiled gracefully at each unintentional indignity.

        Christina eventually found Nina, who was talking to her friends Jenny and Cindy. "Nina," Christina said, "We really should go."

        Nina shot Christina a testy look that read, "Not in front of my friends."

        Taking the hint, Christina walked a short distance away.

        After Nina excused herself and joined her older cousin, she asked, "What do you mean we have to go?"

        Christina said, "Nina, you know your dad doesn't want you out late."

        "It's New Year's Eve!" Nina complained. "And I'm fifteen years old! I'm not a little girl any more."

        "Your dad doesn't want me out this late either, and I'm twenty."

        "I'm not afraid of him," Nina said defiantly. "You go, and David can take me home later."

        "David isn't taking you anywhere," Christina answered in a harsh tone.

        "You can't tell me what to do!" Nina whined.

        Christina looked back at Nina's companions, who had just taken notice of the girls' argument. Shooting the girls a wide grin, as though nothing was wrong, Christina said in a measured and firm voice, "Nina, I'm supposed to look after you tonight, and I say it's time to go."

        "I don't," Nina started in a loud and angry voice. Realizing that her friends were watching, she continued in a strained whisper, "I don't have to do what you say."

        "Where's David?" Christina asked.

        "His friends went outside to smoke, and he went with them."

        "He smokes, too?" Christina balked.

        "No," Nina corrected, "His friends smoke. He just went out with them."

        "Okay, whatever." Christina dismissed. She pointed to Abby's stand where Steph, Andrei, and Richard were waiting and commanded, "When David comes back, have one more dance with him, and then tell him you have to go. I'll be waiting right over there."

        Nina threatened, "And what if I don't?"

        "What if you don't?" Christina asked incredulously. "If you don't, I'm going to have Andrei carry you out of here in front of all these people."

        "You wouldn't!" the younger girl fumed.

        "Try me."

        Nina could tell by the sound of Christina's voice that she wasn't bluffing. Frowning, Nina turned her back on her older cousin and went back to her friends. Once she was again standing next to Jenny and Cindy, she started talking as though nothing had happened.

        Christina walked back through the crowd to where Richard was standing. Looking around she asked, "Where did Andrei go?"

        Richard replied, "He and Stephanie decided to have a dance and mingle a bit before leaving. It's not a bad idea, you know."

        "I have to watch Nina," Christina dismissed as she made a pitiful attempt to stand on her tip toes to see over the throng of people. Realizing just how poorly she was acting, she faced Richard and said, "I'm sorry. You drove all the way back to town, and I've hardly spent any time with you."

        "Don't apologize," Richard grinned. "I know you look out for your cousin." Sliding next to Christina Richard wrapped his arm around her waist and said, "It was worth it just for a moment with you."

        Looking away shyly, Christina brushed her hair back and blushed, "Come on ..."

        "Certainly you're used to men throwing themselves at your feet."

        "No one's thrown anything at my feet before. I've always been pretty invisible."

        "I can't believe that," Richard said, stroking the back of Christina's long blonde hair, "You're the only thing I can see lately."

        Placing her hand to rest on top of Richard's, Christina leaned backward against his chest and let her head rest in the small of his neck, relaxing, but not forgetting to keep her watchful gaze on Nina and David.

        As the song ended, Christina watched Nina break the news to David. The boy was obviously angry. Watching David throw a small fit, Christina almost hoped he would storm off the dance floor and never come back, but Nina managed to calm him down. Christina cringed as Nina kissed her date passionately on the lips.

        "So this is what you two do when we're not around," Steph joked.

        Christina realized that she had been caught in mid-cuddle by Steph and Andre, and she gently pushed free from Richard. Scratching the back of her head, Christina fumbled, "I think it's ... um ... time to go."

        Nina caught up with the group, and glared at her older cousin. "I can't believe you're making me go home already," she seethed.

        "I know it's not fair, Nina," Christina apologized, "But we need to get home."

        "This is stupid," Nina balked. Holding her skirt off the floor and said, "How are the four of us even going to fit in the truck?"

        "I can take Christina home," Richard offered quickly.

        "Oh fine," Nina said rolling her eyes. "You get to go home with YOUR boyfriend, but I have to go home with Andrei?"

        "He's not my boyfriend," Christina whispered in humiliation.

        Richard again took Christina by the waist and said, "Don't argue with the girl." As he led Christina towards the front entrance, he continued, "So it's settled. It would be a pleasure to escort Miss Christina to her door." Richard waved happily to Steph and Andrei and added, "You two have fun with that champagne."

        Before she had a chance to object, Christina found Richard whisking her away to the coat check. He retrieved Christina's coat and held it out for her. Christina was so used to men helping her with her coat that she no longer thought twice about the act; she'd almost come to expect it.

        Christina stepped out into the cold night on Richard's arm. He walked her to his Lexus and held the passenger side door open for her. Christina stepped into the car, unable to prevent her revealing dress from giving Richard a tantalizing view of her long, silky legs and her breasts. Richard got in and turned on the car; Christina immediately felt the warmth of the heated leather seats. After letting the car warm up, Richard pulled off onto the empty streets. He causally took his hand off the gear shift and rested it on Christina's knee.

        Christina looked at the intruder on her leg and laughed. She remarked, "You're feeling pretty optimistic tonight, aren't you?"

        Richard slid his hand slowly up the girl's thigh, sending off an explosion of tingles up Christina's spine. "That was friendly Princess," he crooned. "This is optimistic."

        Putting her tiny hand on top of Richard's, Christina slid it back to her knee. "Let's just be friends," she said wryly. Reconsidering, she guided Richard's hand back to the gear shift and corrected, "Better yet, let's be pen-pals."

        Richard laughed and kept his hand on the gearshift. As he drank in Christina from head to toe, he said, "Did I tell you just how amazing you look tonight?"

        Christina couldn't help but smile at the compliment. "This wasn't my idea," she explained. "Nina picked out this dress. I think she was trying to ..." Christina cut herself off and said, "It's not important."

        "Trying to what?" Richard asked.

        "Forget about it," Christina dismissed.

        "Come on, tell me," he protested playfully.

        Christina squirmed uncomfortably. She said, "Nina got the idea in her head that you ... um ... well ..."

        "That I what?"

        "She thought that you ... just forget it!" she pleaded.

        "What?"

        Christina cringed at what she was about to say. "She thought you had blown me off, so she had this plan to make me look like this ..." she said as she ran her hands down her body. "She wanted to make sure someone would kiss me at midnight."

        "Why would she think I dumped you?"

        "She had this crazy idea that I was ... I dunno, disappointed or something ..."

        "Were you?"

        "Was I what?" Christina asked indignantly.

        Richard shot Christina his trademark self-assured smirk and asked, "Were you disappointed?"

        "Excuse me?" she asked sarcastically.

        "You heard me," the older man laughed. "Were you disappointed?"

        Christina sat with her mouth open and her hands held out, just on the verge of speech. "Well ... yeah ... a little..."

        Richard was now grinning from ear to ear.

        "Not like that!" Christina objected, "I just felt ... you know, ... guilty ... 'cause you put everything on hold to help me ... and I ..."

        "Then why weren't you dancing with anyone when I got there?" Richard asked confidently.

        Christina gasped in frustration. "Because ... because ... I didn't want to kiss ANYBODY!"

        "Except me."

        "No!" she whined, "I didn't want to kiss you, either!"

        Richard laughed, and his hand again found its way to Christina's knee. "Princess, you did kiss me."

        "That ..." Christina started, completely flabbergasted, "You ..."

        Richard massaged Christina's knee with his hand. His fingers made gentle, circular motions that sent delicious sensations through the girl's body.

        She closed her eyes and admitted, "Okay. You win. For that ONE INSTANT, some very tiny, super confused, part of me wanted to kiss you. Okay?"

        "And you liked it." Richard pressed.

        "You're a really good kisser!" she complained. "And it's not fair! You do all these super romantic things, like showing up right at the last moment ... and the way you talk ..." Christina shook off the sensual feelings that had subdued her body and placed Richard's hand back on the gear shift. "And you do all that fancy touching!"

        Richard pulled into the Levchenko's gravel driveway and stopped in front of the house. Leaning closer to Christina, he whispered, "Princess, what would be so wrong letting yourself enjoy the moment for once?"

        Richard's hand returned to Christina's knee and he dragged his fingers gently up and down the captive girl's leg. Moving slowly to her inner thigh, he traced circles with his fingers and moved back down again. While he kept teasing Christina's stocking clad leg, he leaned in and covered the side of Christina's neck with slow kisses.

        Christina was lost in the delightful assault of touch. She felt Richard's breath on her neck, and she was surrounded by the musk of his cologne as it mixed with her sweet smelling perfume. Closing her eyes, she leaned her head to the right, giving Richard full access to her neck. Feeling a tingling that she'd never felt before, she moaned softly. It was as though her entire body were electrified. She knew she should put a stop to Richard's advance, but all she could do was surrender. Christina's body was still humming when Richard finally relented.

        "We'd better get you inside," Richard said. Hopping out of the car, Richard went to the passenger's side, opened Christina's door, and held out her hand.

        Christina reluctantly reached out and took Richard's hand. Realizing that the man was able to play her body like a finely tuned instrument, she was wary of offering any physical contact after what he'd just done to her.

        Richard escorted Christina to her front porch, and she stood in front of the man, holding her hands in front of her. "I ... uh," she stammered, "I had a good time tonight ..."

        Smiling triumphantly, Richard leaned in for a kiss.

        Christina stepped back and asked, "What do you think you're doing?"

        He replied, "In these parts, Princess, it's common to kiss a girl goodnight at the end of a date."

        "Okay, you have to stop with that," Christina said in mild annoyance. "These ... things ... aren't dates. I'm not your girlfriend. And you don't get to kiss me goodnight."

        "Fair enough," Richard conceded. "But you do owe me a real date now," he added coyly.

        "Excuse me?"

        Richard stepped closer and ran his fingers through the younger girl's hair. The sensations that trailed down Christina's scalp warned her not to let the petting go any further.

        "Remember the deal? I kissed you, and you liked it. You know there's an attraction between us."

        Christina bit her lower lip and tried to think of a good way to deny what Richard was saying.

        "So, when can I see you again?"

        "Richard, I told you I'm not coming back anymore."

        "I know. I'll come to you," he insisted. "Or you could stay with me."

        "Stay with you?" Christina balked. "I'm not even allowed out after ten. Don't you think a sleepover is pushing it?"

        "Princess, if your uncle is kicking you out, you don't have to play by his rules anymore."

        Christina looked down sadly and said, "I didn't mind the rules so much." She paused for a moment and leveled with the older man. "Richard, the truth is that there are things about me you don't know."

        "I don't care about your past."

        "Well my past, and God willing, my future, too," Christina said cryptically. "The point is, if you knew who I really was, then you wouldn't want to have anything to do with me."

        "Nothing could be that bad."

        "Yeah, it could. You wouldn't see me in the same way ever again." Glancing at the house behind her, she continued, "And not just you. Nina and Andrei would never speak to me again. Steph wouldn't be my friend anymore."

        "What is it, Princess?" Richard asked tenderly.

        Christina laughed nervously and replied, "Well that's the point; it's a secret. And the best thing you can do is to forget about me right now."

        Richard slipped into his courtroom voice and grinned, "You can't expect me to refute this evidence until it has been properly presented." Seeing that it did nothing to brighten Christina's expression, Richard held her cheek in his large hand and said, "I like you, just as you are, right now." He again leaned in for a kiss.

        Stopping him, Christina shrilled, "There's no goodnight kissing, remember?"

        Richard pulled back and said, "It's not goodnight kiss." He pointed above the door to the mistletoe that Christina had put there while she and Nina decorated the Christmas tree.

        Christina smiled widely and giggled. "You always have an angle," she exclaimed. "I'm sorry, but Christmas is over."

        "Nonsense!" Richard grinned. "The statute of limitations on mistletoe is twenty-nine days."

        "Oh ... really?"

        "Technically, twenty-nine days, four hours, and twelve minutes," Richard stated in his courtroom voice.

        "Okay!" Christina surrendered in laughter. She held up her finger and said, "You get one. One kiss." Richard again leaned close to her, but Christina stopped him, clarifying, "And I mean one SIMPLE kiss. None of your magic twirly-fingers stuff ... or open mouths ... or anything else I wouldn't feel comfortable with on my own front porch, with my worried aunt waiting on the other side of this door."

        Richard took Christina in his arms and pressed his closed lips against hers. Christina draped her arms over the older man's shoulders and indulged in one last kiss as Christina Chase. Richard's left hand glided expertly down to Christina's butt and squeezed it gently upward. Christina gasped in shock, and Richard took advantage of her lapse. He slid his tongue into Christina's mouth, and the two of them were again making out. Richard broke off the kiss, though he didn't let go of the girl or her round ass.

        "I said no twirly-fingers," Christina sighed breathlessly.

        "I don't recall any twirling," Richard joked. As he gazed into Christina's eyes, he said, "Let me drive you to Dover tomorrow."

        "I don't need you to-"

        "Your cousin is too busy with Stephanie tonight to be in any condition for a long drive tomorrow, and I'm guessing you'd rather not ride with your uncle. Besides, I have to drive there for work anyway."

        Christina had to admit that Richard had a point. "Um ..." she hesitated, "Alright."

        Richard pulled the girl close and kissed her again. "I'll see you around eleven tomorrow," he said.

        As Christina watched Richard walk back to his car, she wondered how she'd gotten completely derailed. The plan had been to let the guy down easy, but Christina found she was never in control of any situation where Richard was concerned. Realizing that the man was waiting for her to go inside before he left, she waved with her fingers, and went in through the front door.

        As Boris greeted her with wagging tail, Christina ruffled the fur on the dog's head and whispered, "We're not even going to talk about tonight."

        Hanging up her coat, she looked around the living room. Everything was dark. She looked down the hallway to the door of the master bedroom; her aunt and uncle were nowhere in sight.

        Christina slowly ascended the stairs. She walked as lightly as she could as to minimize the click-clacking of her heels. Noticing the glow from Nina's nightlight, she walked quietly past Nina's door, then into her bedroom. Slowly stripping down until she was naked, Christina took off Anastasia's dress and hung it in the closet. She then slipped into a fluffy pink robe and went to the bathroom, and began removing her makeup. Putting on and taking off makeup had become such a routine part of her life that she was running on autopilot. Once her face was clean, she stepped into the shower. Engulfed by relaxing steam, she washed her hair and savored the feeling of the hot water as it ran over her. As the suds ran down her body, she tried to wash away everything that'd happened that night. She tried to wash away all the hurtful things her uncle had said to her. Most of all, she was trying to wash away Christina Chase.

        Stepping out of the shower, Christina towel dried her hair. She looked at the girl in the mirror. With no makeup and no clothes, she was still every bit a girl. She stared at her reflection, and the sad girl in the mirror looked back at her. Putting her robe back on, she returned quietly to her bedroom. She searched through her bag and pulled out a set of loose fitting yellow cotton pajamas. The long pants covered down to her ankles. The lace trimmed tank top was covered by a soft jacket that completed the three piece outfit.

        Christina only showered in the middle of the night when she felt that life was crushing her. Nothing was better than the feeling of her soft, fresh skin against clean cotton pj's. Normally that feeling alone might have been enough to soothe her to sleep, but as she sat on the edge of her four-poster bed, her thoughts were weighing heavily on her. Only now that she knew her family was going to be safe did she let her mind focus on her own problems. She didn't know how she was going to survive after tomorrow.

        Hearing a knock on the door, Christina called, "Nina?" The door opened slowly, and Christina made out the looming form of her uncle. Realizing that she'd only postponed her punishment, she stood up nervously.

        "May I come in Tina?"

        "Of course you can," she replied. Christina saw that he was carrying the note she'd written to him in his massive fist.

        "Tina-" he started.

        Christina mustered all her courage and interrupted, "Wait- I know what you're going to say. I just want to tell you something first, okay?"

        Her uncle did not speak, which she took as permission to continue. "I know what I did was wrong. You told me not to stick my nose in where it didn't belong, but I didn't listen. You told me not to sneak around behind your back, and that's exactly what I did. And ..." She frowned, though her eyes did not leave her uncle's, "And what I did was disrespectful to you, and I know that." Christina's eyes teared up, and she sniffed, "I just want to say, I'm really sorry. And I know that doesn't make it better, or take anything back. This is your house, and I'm a guest here. And I deliberately broke your rules, and I know what that means."

        As tears streamed down Christina's cheeks, she sobbed, "And if it's okay with you, I really don't want you to yell at me again."

        Alek stepped towards his niece and said, "Tina-"

        Shaking her head, Christina pleaded, "And Nina and Andrei are going to tell you this was their fault, too, but you can't blame them. It was all me. I made them help me, so you only have to be mad at me, okay? Please don't be mad at-"

        "Tina," Alek interrupted calmly. Christina stopped her rambling as Alek held out the note and asked, "Why did you do this?"

        Christina looked at the note and shrugged. "You've been so good to me Uncle Alek. Everyone has. I didn't expect it, and I know I don't deserve it. I don't think I can ever tell you how much that meant to me. When I found out that you were in trouble ... I had to do something. I don't think I could bear to see you lose your home. But I knew I was breaking the rules. I know I what I did was wrong, and I know what the consequences are."

        Alek asked, "What do you think the consequences are?"

        Christina looked away and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. She responded softly, "I knew that you wouldn't want me anymore."

        Alek stepped close to the girl, wrapped his massive arms around her, and held her tightly. He stroked her long blonde hair and soothed, "My dear, sweet Tina. I have been so cruel to you. Can you ever forgive me?"

        Christina buried her head in her uncle's wide chest and cried, "You don't have to apologize, Uncle Alek. It was all my fault."

        Alek rocked Christina back and forth gently until she stopped sobbing. Holding Christina out at arms length, he said, "Tina, sweetheart, I was wrong. I have treated you poorly, and for this I am ashamed." Alek reached into his pocket with massive hand and pulled out something Christina couldn't quite make out in the darkness.

        "Your Christmas gift was the finest thing anyone has ever given me," he stated. "Too late I realize that I have not shown my gratitude."

        "You don't have to-"

        "Hush child," Alek corrected tenderly. He opened his palm and a small, ornate, silver cross dangled by a chain strewn about his fingers. It reflected the moonlight as it slowly turned in place. "In our family," he explained, "It is tradition that our clock was handed down to the eldest son; it was my honor to have. But there is also this."

        Christina watched the tiny cross as it twirled on its chain.

        "This," Alek continued, "Belonged to my great, great grandmother. It has always been given to the first born daughter on her twenty-first birthday. Just like you, I was an only child, so my mother gave me this on the day I left home. She made me promise, that one day, I would give this to my daughter and keep the tradition alive." Alek unclasped the chain and reached his hands around Christina's slender neck. He linked the chain and let the cross fall into place. He added, "I know you are not yet twenty-one, but I do not think my mother would have objected."

        "It's beautiful," Christina marveled as she held the cross in her hand. "But I can't take this from you Uncle Alek," Christina protested.

        Alek held the girl close and kissed her on her forehead. He said, "Tina, you are my eldest daughter now. And no matter what you do, or how cross I may be, you shall forever be my precious girl."

        Christina stared down at the silver cross in her palm and she felt her throat tighten. "Thank you," she said as a tear streaked down her cheek.

        "And Tina," Alek added as he held Christina, "You are not a guest in this house. This is your home."

        Christina remembered that this was her last night with her uncle. Now that she knew Alek still loved her, she wished she didn't have to leave tomorrow. There was no way she could tell him that she was never coming back.

        "Uncle Alek," Christina frowned, "When I go back tomorrow ..."

        "What is it child?" Alek asked.

        "You know how you said I should find a better job? One where I don't have to work so late all the time?"

        "Yes sweetheart."

        "Well ... see ... the thing is ... When I get back, I'm going to be very busy looking for a new job, so I'm not sure when I can come back. And if, you know, if I don't see you for a while or if maybe I miss some phone calls, I don't want you to think that it's because I don't love you, okay? I just want you to know that no matter what, I still love you."

        Alek patted Christina on the back and said," Yes, of course. I know that Tina."

        "I love you so much," she sobbed.

        "Tina," Alek consoled, "Do not be upset over small things. Now, it is very late, and you have a bus to catch tomorrow, so it is best that you get some sleep."

        "Yes sir," she smiled. After taking off the silver cross and depositing it in her jewelry case, Christina obediently got into bed and pulled up the covers. Alek turned to leave but Christina said, "Uncle Alek, can you do me a favor?"

        Alek said, "Anything sweetheart."

        "I know it's really late, but do you think maybe you could stay with me for a while?"

        Alek smiled and said, "Of course," as he carried the wooden chair from Christina's vanity and placed it next to her bed. He sat down and gently caressed Christina's hair.

        "It's just that ... I missed you," Christina whispered.

        Alek said, "Shhhhh."

        Christina wanted to stay awake and enjoy her uncle's presence, but she was exhausted from dancing, crying, and all the other things that had transpired that night. As she closed her eyes, she imagined that the city didn't exist. Tomorrow, she would wake up early and cook breakfast with Misha. She and Nina would talk about everything that had happened at the dance, and perhaps tease Andrei a little for being so love-struck over Steph. And maybe, if she were lucky, Alek would let her work with him in the store, and they could spend the entire day together.


Edited into coherence by Holly H. Hart
Thanks to Sephrena Miller for taking an early read.
Hope you enjoyed it. If you liked it or hated it, please leave a tasty comment.
Krunch Away!

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Really enjoyed your chapter

This story is so darling, I can't wait to read more of it. I am sure all your other readers are like me wanting to know how Christina, her new family and her Love (tho she doesn't fully realize it yet) Richard wind up. Please give us another chapter soon, TA for now, J-Lynn

Which way now?

I really have no idea where this is going next – is Chris really going to go back home or not? It certainly looks likes he’s headed back – I always figured Nina and Andrei were the two most likely to come up with something to get her to stay, but Andrei is apparently tied up at the moment and I don’t think Nina currently sees Chris in the most favorable light. It doesn’t appear that Alek is going to do anything either, though its swell that they have made nice with each other. And Richard made a brief effort here, but I think he realizes can’t do too much at this point.

I will say that Nina was written pitch perfect for a confused fifteen year old girl in this chapter. I think she knows the reality of her situation with David, but clings to a notion that she can somehow wish it all right.

Personally, I would have used the Andrei option to take care of David. Have him hold David upside down by the ankles, shake him a few times until his flask (and whatever else a seventeen year old with big night out plans has in his pocket) falls out. However, Chris has always taken the roundabout way, and in the process managed to open the door for James just a bit.

As for Richard, don’t you almost feel sorry for the guy? I don’t mean that part of it…. I’m talking more about the fact that this guy’s life has been turned upside down – he was this cocky, rich lawyer who apparently did whatever he pleased, had the pick of the women everywhere he went, and now he’s been reduced to, to paraphrase Richard himself, throwing himself at the feet of a girl eleven years younger than himself who is reluctant (though less and less so) to spend time with him.

TGIF

So I can read a new chapter of Being Christina Chase. Admiral your heart warming story is the perfect way to end a stressfull work week. Your characters and story are magical, my only complaint is that I have never made it thru a single chapter without putting a big dent in my box of tissues. As long as there are Fridays you'll find me waiting for my next Christina fix.

Kindest regards,
talonx

Being Christina Chase

Krunchy,
Another two boxer, I now know you have stock in the Kleenex company. I love how you ended this chapter, while I cried I still saw hope for Tina to be happy, if she would only allow herself that choice.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Very nice

One might even say, Admiral -- uh, admirable. ::grin::

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

Admiral-able, even

... which is what you were getting at :)
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Chapter 30

Again the tears, this time though, the happy type. I so look forward to this story every week. Although it's having a negative impact on my enjoyment of other stories, most of them seem rather diminished now some how.

One thing though, my paranoia has taken hold since I noticed that Tina didn't actually see Nina. I have this nasty feeling that she didn't get home. With such a sweet makeup with her uncle I almost missed it. Or maybe I'm just too paranoid. Oh well that's what cliffhangers are about.
----------
Jenna
http://www.myspace.com/alpheias

----------
Jenna

How???

How do you do it, AK? This is one of the best stories I've read all year, and it keeps getting better. I made the mistake of peeking at this before leaving work this afternoon, and everybody wondered why I was sitting at my desk crying. Christina's reconciliation with Uncle Alek was simply the best.

I also am concerned that she didn't see Nina come in, however. I'm afraid her trip may be delayed when Nina learns, much too late, that her cousin knew what she was talking about. I hope not, though.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

All through this chapter

I heard Michael Bublé sing "Everything". Well actually it was in my mind I heard it, and on replay, but then I had to hear it 'for real'. That was nice too. :)

Aaaww this was sooo sweet and romantic. *happy snrf*

That new year's kiss from Richard...?! Oh!! I swear I could almost feel _my_ knees buckle.

You know, your supreme high-sea commander, you can not ever end this story anything but utterly fulfilling and leave us with that feeling of needing to light up a smoke after? Damn, I like this story. *Sigh*

Jo-Anne

Please get her sorted out ????????

So far this story has been really pleasureable. Please don't let her not get sorted out with Richard?

Gwenellen

No spoilers, so you can read on

I have the distinct pleasure of being able to read this story ahead of the rest of you.
However, sometimes I do miss the anticipation of having to wait for the next part to arrive.

When I first met Admiral Krunch, and agreed to look at his new story, and found that he was a ‘new’ writer, and had already written much of what you have all read up until now, ( 32 parts written, though later ones were still being rewritten), I was anticipating a nightmare. New, amateur writer, poor plotting, weak storyline, you know …

Well, I received a very pleasant surprise. The story was GREAT, though a bit slow starting, but as we have all seen, the first 5-6 parts were setting the scenes for all that followed.

Krunches story was great, but the grammar needed a lot of work. Krunch has admitted that here. BUT, Krunch was willing to learn, and leaves less work for me every chapter, now. Whether or not Krunch is really a new writer, or just a new writer in this genre, I continue to be a bit overwhelmed by the strength of the story, and storyline.

He has already given us a fairly good sized novel, at around 200,000 words SO FAR, with 22 more parts to go, according to plan. I, for one, will be very disappointed when I have finished part 52.

From all the comments, I know I will not be alone in saying, Thank you, Admiral. It's too bad they didn't bring out a box of Fleet Admiral Krunch. You're due for a promotion. Oh well, maybe next mega-novel.

Holly Logan

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Everybody hated Richard ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... and now everyone likes him and you led us there almost without our realizing it. Bravo! Nina's behavior? Spot on for 15 and I speak from 37 years of teaching that age group. If she didn't get home, Christina will kill Andrei, then David, and all the while blaming herself for going home with Richard.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

well of course...

kristina l s's picture

... we were supposed to. So we did...but he has sort of, just a teensy bit, well... he grows on you. As Christina is finding out.
This is class storytelling and it doesn't matter at all about genre or experience or whatever. Keep it coming Admiral... or we'll hunt you down. You wouldn't like that...

Is there anyone that read this and didn't snuffle... just a little in those last few pars??? I sorta doubt it.

Kristina

I feel a tickle fest comming on.

Tickle, Tickle, Tickle, Tic le.

Where is he? Admiral, Oh Admiral, where are youooooooo.

Gwenellen

Wonderful Story

I too have been asked why am I crying!!! CC is a wonderful, well thought out character.

Thanks

Add me to the list of Kleenex users...

This chapter Definitely got me crying in all the right places.
Especially the end where She asks Alec to sit with her...(need Kleenex) Hard to type through the blurry eyes...
Lisa Elizabeth

Lisa09051_1.jpg

Why is Tina so stupid?

Pamreed's picture

She has a family that loves her and a home. Also when is she going to realize that
she is a girl!! There is nothing for her in the city not even a job!! I know she
will leave but that is just so stupid!!! Right now even though I know this is a
story, I am so sad!!! Maybe it is because I too have made some dumb decisions in
my life. I guess maybe I am mad at her as well, throwing away her happiness, for
what, her pride!! Stupid!!!!!