Writing a Script

Printer-friendly version

Writing a Script

Some people are more comfortable writing in something like a script format, although it’s a very difficult form to get right, and even more difficult to read, because it places many demands upon the reader, and most readers would much rather see a story with most of the hard work already done for them. Very few readers actually enjoy reading scripts, unless they're very familiar with the conventions used, and most such people are former actors, well-accustomed to fleshing out a rôle extemporaneously. That's why one rarely finds them on the bookstands in supermarkets or airports.

What a Script is:

A playscript is a highly-condensed technical vehicle for setting out the bare bones of a story, and is meant to be interpreted by an entire team of auxiliary story-tellers, including a director, a set designer, costume designers, usually multiple actors (except in the special case of a one-person show), and in some cases musical and special effects designers. In the case of a script meant to be performed in the ‘legitimate theatre,’ there will usually be slightly more supporting crew than there are actors. In the case of a script meant to be performed in front of a camera, these numbers of off-screen personnel may grow to hundreds, or even thousands, of support crew and ‘extras’ who either work to shape the story or contribute to the creative contributions of others in any of several manners.

What a Script isn’t:

A playscript is not a finished product, at least insofar as its intended audience is concerned. The setting is usually only suggested, as are the motivations and actions of the characters, usually with a dozen words or so, if that. In short, it’s no more a ‘story’ than a list of players and the appellations of particular playing strategies is a football game. The actors, in combination with the director, who has overall artistic control of the film, usually work together to flesh out the script into an actual performance, aided by many other hands and minds who help to produce the finished product that one actually sees.

Script Formats

There are two primary script formats. The first is the highly condensed version one often sees in works that are very familiar, and so have many volumes of supporting documents which allow the sophisticated reader to easily visualise the play as it might be performed, or even undertake a textual and/or historical analysis of the text as it’s been performed in the past:

The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

ACT I

SCENE I. Elsinore. A platform before the castle.

FRANCISCO at his post. Enter to him BERNARDO

BERNARDO

Who’s there?

FRANCISCO

Nay, answer me: stand, and unfold yourself.

BERNARDO

Long live the king!

FRANCISCO

Bernardo?

BERNARDO

He.

FRANCISCO

You come most carefully upon your hour.

BERNARDO

’Tis now struck twelve; get thee to bed, Francisco.

FRANCISCO

For this relief much thanks: ’tis bitter cold,
And I am sick at heart.

Note: This particular format is more of a mnemonic device than an actual script, and depends upon the reader to supply most of the missing context, either from memory or from their own imagination, and is quite often used because it doesn’t take up all that much room, and so is less expensive to publish in book or pamphlet formats than real script formats designed for working use, which are carefully-constructed in such manner that one page of script is approximately one minute of the play as performed in ‘real life.’

The other reason it’s used is because it avoids copyright constraints, since under the copyright laws of most nations a performance of any work otherwise well within the public domain is itself a copyrighted independent creation, and so protected. The record (or performance description) of such a work is copyright in the year of its first publication or performance as well.

For consideration as a script in the professional world, though, the requirements are much more stringent, and take up considerably more room.

The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

By William Shakespeare

Opening Montage

Ext. Wide shot of a medieval castle in Denmark with clouds skidding across a moonlit sky. It's winter, but the trees are in bud, and there stands a solitary figure, FRANCISCO, heavily cloaked against the chill, who is on guard upon the highest rampart as the camera zooms in on his face. He's obviously frightened as his eyes dart from one side to the other.

BERNARDO
(Off Camera, shouting.)

Who’s there?

FRANCISCO
(Startled, shouting.)

Nay, answer me: stand, and unfold yourself.

BERNARDO
(Rushing toward Francisco, spear in hand, shouting.)

Long live the king!

FRANCISCO
(Relieved, now speaking more quietly.)

Bernardo?

BERNARDO
(Also reassured, now strolling towards his friend at leisure.)

He.

FRANCISCO
(Rolling his eyes.)

You come most carefully upon your hour.

BERNARDO
(Smiling.)

’Tis now struck twelve; get thee to bed, Francisco.

FRANCISCO
(Embraces Bernardo, claps him on the back.)

For this relief much thanks: ’tis bitter cold,
And I am sick at heart.

This is just a start, of course, and as the script is developed more detail will be added, and many different scripts focusing on different crafts will be prepared, each carefully plotting out the exact details of every scene from the separate viewpoints of the director, the actors, the craft people involved, even outside contractors who may have some rôle to play in the final production, until every second (literally) of screen and off-screen (or stage and off-stage) time is accounted for and explained in detail.

It's quite a lot of work, much more difficult than a mere story.

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice succinct

Nice succinct explanation.

Some years ago Bryce Zabel, co-creator of the TV series Dark Skies, was kind enough to mail me a hard copy of the writer's draft for one of the episodes. Since then he's made two more scripts public.

Here's a link to one of these, published in pdf format.

http://bztv.typepad.com/newsviews/files/dark_skies_zabel.pdf

Ban nothing. Question everything.

An excelllent addition...

Puddintane's picture

Because a script has very precise text size and margin requirements, it's very difficult to achieve the exact format required using pure HTML without using stylesheets (which BC doesn't allow) so a PDF is the most reasonable solution, which I was only able to approximate, and PDFs aren't user-friendly on small devices, so….

Everything is a compromise.

The margin requirements not only leave a lot of white space for user notes (a very good thing) but also cause spoken text to take up more room on the page, making it easier to ‘guestimate’ the run-time at a minute per page whilst still leaving room for descriptions of action without dialogue.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Audio Drama Script

What elements would you suggest for an audio drama script? What format? I'd like to begin podcasting my stories . Dialog from the story is a given and some of the text could lend itself to narration. What would performance suggestions to the voice actors look like? What kind of indication for effect sounds? Back ground music? Anything to watch out for? Essentials for a good audio drama script?

I'm not going for a simple read of the story here but I would like to make this into a full production as I have heard before in podcasts. One such Podcast that I would like to emulate is Metamor City and the unfinished but still excellent podcast novel 'The Empress Sword'.

I've got Audacity so I can record tracks separately and overlay them. Would that lend itself to having a separate Background music script, Effects script, and Voice actor's script? Is having one script with all those elements the best since they will have to work together and coordinate?

I just know what I want to do. Have some of the tools. But have no clue how to put things together yet. But I would imagine that it would have to start with a script that includes all elements that you wish to give the audio audience. This seems to be something that I might be able to do but I just need some direction on how to start.

Jo Dora Webster

"Radio" Dramas...

Puddintane's picture

...usually have a narrator, because someone has to supply the narration that sets the scene and bridges sequences. There are two main styles: The first is the easiest, the main character tells the story, interspersed with "live action" featuring other actors in the drama.

Think of Joe Friday in the Dragnet radio "cop show:"

THEME MUSIC UP AND FADE OUT ON SUSTAINED CHORD

SOUND:

JOE'S STEPS IN CORRIDOR. SLIGHT ECHO AND CORRIDOR B.G.

JOE:

It was Wednesday, December 24th. It was cold in Los Angeles. We were working the Day Watch out of Burglary Division. My partner's Frank Smith. The boss is Captain Barnard. My name's Friday. I'd gone across the street to buy stamps for some Christmas cards I was sending out. It was 9:15 A.M, when I got back to Room 45 ... (SOUND: DOOR OPEN) ... Burglary.

SOUND:

JOE WALKS INTO THE ROOM. THE DOOR CLOSES BEHIND HIM. B.G. CHANGES. HE TAKES A COUPLE OF STEPS IN.

JOE:

I sat down at a table in the squad room and started to address the cards when Frank walked in carrying a stack of Christmas boxes.

SOUND:

DOOR OPENS AND FRANK WALKS IN.

FRANK: (APPROACHES) Hi, Joe.

The SOUND cues count as a separate character, because on radio, they'll all be performed by a "Foley" artist (named after Jack Donovan Foley, an actual person who worked for Universal studios from 1927 on. He started out adding sound to silent films, because the technology back then could barely pick up loud voices with the actors facing the "mic" directly, so the studio spent a lot of time rescuing silent footage by recording a separate soundtrack for the artists and the sound effects).

The second type of narration has a ghostly voice who essentially or partially tells the story supplemented by dialogue on the part of the characters, but is otherwise unconnected to the story.

Think of The Shadow radio drama.

NARRATOR: "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!" (Evil laugh)

The shows always ended with:

NARRATOR: "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay... The Shadow knows!"

Radio had many variations on this format, often cross fading into active dialogue or vice versa, depending on the needs of the story.

Trying to incorporate narration into the story as dialogue was fairly rarely used, as far as I can remember, because it usually sounded hokey.

(Simulated hokey dialogue)

ROBIN: Holy Bat Guano, Batman! This dark cave sure looks mysterious with creepy spiderwebs and toadstools everywhere!

BATMAN: Yes, Robin, the criminal mind seeks out places that normal people would never visit, because good citizens don't want to splash through filthy puddles of disease-laden muck like these, away from the wholesome light of day!

ROBIN: You're absolutely right, Batman, and have I mentioned that those tight buns of yours are especially attractive in the delicate traceries and chiaroscuro of wan light filtered through this twisted forest of stalactites and stalagmites?

-o~O~o-

By the way, there are websites (easily found with searches on "old time radio" and the like) which contain entire radio episodes available for listening gratis. There are *loads* of them on archive.org, and a few places where one can find sample radio scripts. Most are simple, as in the real quote from a Dragnet script, because radio was and is much simpler than film or legitimate theatre. In the days before stereo FM, they were essentially one-dimensional, Flatland for the ear.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Thanks for such wonderful info

Thank you for following up with such wonderful information. I appreciate so much that you included about the same level of detail for this that you provided on your original post. Even though I wanted sound effects in my audio drama, my existing script has mostly dialog. This gives me some idea on how to add the elements that I want. It is an important point that the foley artist is an additional actor and that means that when timing the length of the script every sound added needs to be accounted for. While some sounds can be mixed under the dialog, most of them will have to stand alone and use up time.

It's lucky that the original reason that I wrote the audioplay no longer exists and thus the time constraint lifted. I of course will still need to keep to a reasonable time frame and will be self publishing it instead of adding it to an existing podcast.

Again thank you for your prompt response since the added knowledge makes it more likely that my dream will become reality.

Jo Dora Webster

Narrator

I recall having to actually attend the play "Our Town" for a class. Now I had read it before as a play and thought it stupid meaningless drivel. But the Narrator did such an amazing job and has such an important role in that play that I would hold it up here as an amazing example of the power of the narrator.

There that said that leads me to Stupid Silly Idea:

If someone wrote a play TG/TF Whatever. It might be interesting to be performed in Cyberspace in a Chat. Just a wild hair.

Our Town...

Puddintane's picture

I remember the play with fondness, because I played the Stage Manager in a way-far-off-Broadway production, which character I'm guessing you refer to as the Narrator, since that's a lot of what the character does. I played the 'same' character in The Skin of Our Teeth, also by Wilder. Typecasting, I suppose.

I think the primary attraction for the producers was that they were able to get the rights cheaply. We did a lot of Shakespeare and experimental stuff as well, since the Bard of Avon is dead and doesn't collect royalties any more, and the experimental plays were mostly "donated" to rack up a little stage time. It's a hard-knock life, as Little Orphan Annie once observed.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Celtx

For writing scripts there is a great free program out there called Celtx. It's really geared more at film production, but it's great for maintaining the style of names and text throughout. Just thought I'd mention it.

Scrivener

Kalkin62's picture

The writing program Scrivener is something I'm currently exploring using. I find it to be quite a powerful tool for writing (above and beyond a word processor).

It's very flexible and offers several screen writing templates, including: BBC Radio Scene Style, BBC Taped Drama, Comic Script, Documentary Script, Screenplay, Stage Play (UK), and Stage Play (US). If you don't like any of the templates, you can build your own projects.

The program is fairly inexpensive (in my opinion) running $45 US dollars. Additionally, you are allowed to download a full version of the program for a 30 day trial period. The trial period is particularly friendly, as it is by actual days used rather than by the date the trial was started.

I've been using it for novel writing and I like it quite a bit.

You can find Scrivener here: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/

Scrivener

Puddintane's picture

They often run a promotion during the NaNoWriMo event whereby they give one a discount if one finishes. November is not all that far away.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Format

Just as a note on format. While some detailed stage/action notes are more likely in a film or television script (a screenplay), if you included that much stage direction in a script for theater; it wouldn't likely get a second read, let alone a production. In fact, what you've done here with the second start of Hamlet is closer to preparations for a storyboard than writing a script. It is 'read' as being too controlling and the playwright is not designing the set, or costumes, or lighting the environment, or casting specific actors or training them to capture the role effectively or directing all these things in one coherent vision... the director and the artistic/design team does these things, based on not only the script but their understanding of the local audience and what it will take for that audience to understand the key elements of the play. A script for the theater only includes direction/interpretation only when such things cannot be interpreted from the dialogue.

In the rehearsal process, actors will include notation in their personal script that indicate action that they have chosen to take at specific moments and stage managers will create a 'map' of the flow of action around the stage for reference later in the process. However, none of this would be included in the published script unless it is a world premier and the author is present for the process (rare these days) and taking his/her own notes of actions. And such notes are of questionable value when viewed in light of subsequent productions - after all, one production may focus on the the family values in Hamlet, while another focuses on the lengths gone to for vengeance. The notes for position, prop interaction, or even presentation style for lines from one of these productions will be out of place in a production focused on the other.

In fact, in a play with a significant amount of stage directions written in; some actors will blot them out completely as they go through highlighting their own lines. The assumption being, if the note gives them information vital to their portrayal of the scene, the director will clarify it for them when they do it wrong.

If anyone has scripts that they'd like feedback on, I'm happy to help out. My first job out of grad school was working for a theatre as Literary staff and as a Dramaturg and I was the first line of contact between a whole lot of playwrights and the possibility of a production. I can tell you exactly what Directors are looking for in new shows and what elements of your script are turn offs for your chance at a production.

And if it kicks butt, I can tell you where to submit it.

You are Right, But...

A Story, written and printed, or stored as text on a website, like BCTS or the lesser ones that try to emulate this one, is also not the complete thing. The readers may read the same words, but their imaginations, life experiences, cultural upbringing, education, and current emotional state or wakefulness, will determine how they interpret, understand and absorb what they read.

If one thinks about it, take any hundred people who read an item, and they will NOT all agree or like it. Why such different responses ? The filter through the mind of the reader adds the final result. Perhaps no two people on Earth, even identical twins, will read and get EXACTLY the same picture from what they have read.

(Maybe even us Zoggi (sentient beings from Planet Zogg) may understand something slightly differently from how the Author intended, occasionally !)
:)

Briar