Returning Home

Printer-friendly version

This is for Stan. I hope he would've liked it.

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. None of the characters, places, or anything else is meant to be represented by anything in reality. Duh! Fiction, get it? I the author reserve the rights, so please don't go posting this anyplace else without my permission. A round of thanks goes out to all the others out there in BCTS land who have encouraged and inspired me to write and keep writing.

This has a triple tissue warning. I cried while writing it. I cried while trying to edit it. I cried while posting it. Take my warning for what it is worth.

Returning Home
by
Grover
In memory of Stan

The older man caught the child as she ran like an out of control force of nature right into his arms.

“I'm Home!” She squealed as he picked her twirling her about in a circle as they both laughed.

“Yes, you are!” He agreed smiling, as he sat her down on his lap.

Joyfully she hugged him telling him without any words how much she loved him. He hugged her back just as unreservedly.

Both were content not to say anything. It was enough just to be together, but like any child she couldn't sit still for very long. He also wasn't surprised when the first words she spoke it was a question.

“Why?” She asked, without any accusation. “It hurt so very much, and I don't think some of them liked me very much.”

He carefully shifted her about where they could see each other's faces.

“Sometimes, it takes more an argument or clever words to reach someone.” A tear began to sting his own eyes. “Some people can't be reached at all and I grieve that is so, however for those others it takes someone very special to touch them.”

“Someone like me?” She said, her innocent eyes wide open as she took in his words.

“Yes,” He agreed, “Someone just like you.” The stinging in his eyes burned as another tear formed.

“Not all, but a few of those who were mean and spiteful will realize that you never got angry or unkind back at them. You never ever had a mean word for anyone, but instead always encouraged others as best as you could. That will make them think and perhaps open their hearts a little more to others when they see them in need.”

“So I helped them?” Her face was a study as she thought it out.

“Yes, you did!” He tickled her.

She twisted like cat, as she giggled, “I'm glad.”

“Now run alone and play.” He urged her. “You have a lot of old friends who are very eager to see you again.”

Her eyes shined as he put her on her feet. Following his gentle nudge, she squealed again as she saw the bridge gleaming like a rainbow.

Watching her run to meet the small ones who been waiting for her all these long years, he let his tears fall. He felt others stop their work to watch as well as one little girl was greeted with happy licks and joyful barks from her dear friends.

“The greatest of my servants have never been men of power or of learning.” He said to nobody in particular, but all nearby listened. “It has and always have been those of great heart and soul.”

Remembering all of her pain and trials, tears ran down his cheeks as he bowed his head humbled. “Like hers.”

The End
up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

sweet story, hon

hugs.

DogSig.png

Stan

damndamndamn--I know to expect all these memorials--but I keep crying anyway. I hope when I go, I will be remembered like Stan, for the good I've done. I hope he realized how much he meant to people, and how much he would be missed.

Susana Quemada

Lovely tribute, Grover. I'm

KristineRead's picture

Lovely tribute, Grover.

I'm sure Stan would have approved.

Hugs (while dabbing away the tears)

Kristy

Well said

Thanks

Thank you

Very nice story.

Hugs, Fran

Thank You

He was my friend here at BC & at FM . I PMed him from time to time and I will miss that.
The news was very upsetting ,did you know he was only 50 & had a Bday coming up in August
Who knew the story waking up in heaven would get so much use.
BYE Stanman

This is a well written story.

There are a few errors and omissions, but they do not detract from the story.

This is a heart rending story of a child who has been through an ordeal not many go through. The child's innocence touches the heart as her inquiries are what any of us as children have asked time and again. Why? I really loved how the father explained the reason people are mean to others in language the child could understand. Accepting what he said, the child went to play after being prompted by her father. Yes, BCTS, there is a rainbow.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

The spirit of your story is

The spirit of your story is right. It brought tears to my eyes.

Hugs,

Mark <3