Bridges 38

Printer-friendly version

Bridges 38

Chapter 38

It’s a little like PTSD and it’s not.

I’m in the chopper and we’re flying over woods and highways and town after town heading into Vancouver and we’re keeping James stable and yet it’s so slow to me almost on that edge of dreaming while awake.

I can remember feeling like this coming home from Germany after Afghanistan. That being home and on friendly soil but at the same time you’re in a military craft so there’s that echo just by being there of all the stuff I’d been through.

I’ve never had it on a domestic flight. But here I’m in a chopper again with medical personnel and the scent of the gear and the chopper and blood and it’s just on that sort of edge but I’m looking out the window now and then and I’m home and there’s the Pacific right there.

It’s sobering and yet there’s something different enough to this that when we get to Vancouver and I see the city and everything from being up in the chopper it sort of it taking the edge off and replacing it with that zip of flying and that little familiar kick of adrenaline from doing this again and I even smile at seeing a bit of the grounds and stuff for the Winter games as we go past and then there’s that drifting but a controlled drifting feeling as we tip just slightly back as we’re coming in for the landing and we’re soon out of there hunkering low and going with the on site team there getting James into the hospital and on his way into surgery.

I’m surprised that I’m not shaking or anything but at the same time after we hand James off there’s report to give and then there’s the paperwork that I have to fill out and the flight crew does too right after that.

Thankfully the guys on our flight crew know the forms well enough that they are helping me sort out what’s what since these are a whole lot different that the flight forms that we’d have to fill out after the missions back in Afghanistan.

And that’s a wonderful distraction for me and anything that might creep up on me.

One of the security guys here comes over to the nurse’s station where I’m at. “Nurse Chase? Is there a nurse Chase here?”

“I’m Nurse Chase how can I help you?”

“There’s a phone call for you.”

“Oh, okay can you?”

He smiles and he calls to the main desk on his radio and they put the call through to where I’m at after he gives them the extension number.

“Hello, Sam Chase here.”

“I take it we’re not having dinner together?”

Brandon… I can’t help but to smile because one it’s Brandon and two he tracked me down here. You know there is something about that that says a lot about how he looks after me and everything.

“Sorry, they were in a jam and I was there it was just one of those jump in and help do it without thinking about stuff moments.”

“Sam…I think that’s called being a nurse.”

Again that makes me smile and there is I’ll admit this sort of yay me feeling there in doing my job and doing it well and him knowing that.

“Thanks Brandon it’s kind of nice to hear again.”

“Well it would have been cool to see I’d like to see you actually doing stuff again.”

“You will there’s lots of time for that.”

“I know but I just wanted to check in….are you doing okay?” his voice went all soft and caring like back when we were together-together.

“Yeah actually for right now I am….Thanks Brandon it…it really does make a big difference.”

“You’re welcome; I got to look out for both of my baby’s mommy’s y’know.”

Melt…ow in a good way he’s just so…yeah he’s Brandon and he’s just able to do the stuff that he did for me ever since we met.

“You are and that’s just…you know you’re amazing right, there’s not that many guys in the world out there like you.”

“Well that’s true but can you do me a favor?”

“I can try do you need something picked up here?”

“No…you’ve been hitting the books really hard and you and Cass have been apart for too long too for newlyweds.”

“I know but things are busy and Cass is wor….” He cuts me off.

“Cass is right behind you.” I can hear the smile in his voice and I turn around and my girl is there in her RCMP gear and her cell phone is up to her ear and she’s smiling at me and she’s holding flowers in her other hand…

“I…what…”

“Take the rest of the weekend off Sam; spend it with your wife.”

“Brandon…”

“I think this is an awesome idea Sam…I’ve really missed you beautiful…” Cass says over the phone and I can hear her here and I can sort of hear her there with him on another line. And she’s got these tears there in her eyes like she missed me that much.

I’m choking up because…because I missed her too and they did this together and for me and never once in my dreams did I think that this would be something that could happen to me…it’s.

“Okay…Okay…god okay you two…”

“Laters Sam, love you girls.” Oh… (Sniffle)…and he means it so much too.

I hang the phone up and Cass does the same and she walks to me and I walk to her and we meet somewhere in the middle and oh…

Oh…

She stands tip toe and in uniform and she kisses me right there in front of everyone the arm with the flowers around my back and the other hand running just lightly over part of my face and taking some of my hair and tucking it lovingly behind my ear.

I break the kiss and I’m blushing and smiling and yes now I’m happy crying too and Cass is smiling and there’s happy tears there too and I swear that she’s more beautiful than before.

“Cass…you didn’t have to…I mean work?”

“My shift was done; I was just talking when Brandon called me.”

“Oh…”

“Yeah Oh…and my wife is more important to me than a shift.”

I’m blushing. “Cass…god I love you.”

“I love you too Mrs. Chase.”

Mrs. Chase…my name with that right part in front of it and still being the Chase part just kind of adding to it really like icing on the impossible cake.

I fell in love with a girl and she knows everything about me…and married me still and loves me for me despite the amazing mess that I think that I am so much.

I kiss her again and really hungry missing you I need this more than I though deep and she’s kissing me back and I can’t help but to rub her belly a little even through the vest she’s wearing and…and Cass cups a breast right there as we’re kissing making me blush. I move her hand getting even redder and she’s giving me that I want to strip out of my uniform for you look.

“C’mon Sam get the paperwork done so I can take mommy home and treat her right.”

Oh…

“….Okay…” I’m so red as I go back to the nurses station and they’re giving me looks and a few grins and I can’t stop blushing and I can’t stop smiling either.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow!

D. Eden's picture

I had almost forgotten how much I loved this story, but I shouldn't have. It took all of a few lines for me to drop right back into it, and to remember how it made me feel and how it pulled on my memories and feelings. This was a great addition to the story line - I loved that Brandon and Cass conspired to get Cass together with Sam.

I can fully relate to how Sam felt on the chopper. I had some serious issues with that when I first got out - of course getting called back off of inactive reserves didn't help that feeling. Once that happened, it made me feel that every plane or chopper might end up dropping me in the shit again. Luckily, it's not a weekly thing for me, but due to the nature of my job, it is still a fairly regular occurrence for me to end up on a helicopter, and to this date, if I close my eyes and just listen, smell, and feel - I'm right back there. Especially if it's hot and humid.

On a hot, humid day, I can close my eyes and I'm right back on a destroyer or LSD boarding a SeaKing or a Seahawk. The smell of the JP5, the scream of the turbines, the clatter of the blades, the sounds of the bird and the people - it can still bring back the same sensations. How long until feet dry? Is the beachhead secure, or are we hitting a hot LZ? When we flare to land, I still have to fight the feeling that I need to unass the bird, grab my RTO's, take a knee in the security circle and grab for the air or gun channel. Where are my assets? What's the gunline? Hard or soft target and where are the danger red zones?

I've found that the key for me is to embrace the feelings and control them. To use the heightened sensations and alertness to my advantage. Of course, it took me a while to get there. When I came back from the Gulf the second time, it took a lot to control the feelings for quite some time. The first time I was on active duty, but the second time I was recalled from inactive reserves and it was like getting off work one day, grabbing my seabag, and a few weeks later I was sitting on a destroyer marshaling my team to board a Seahawk. I guess that's what I get for picking the wrong career path in the Navy, lol. Thank God someone was smart enough to team me with a good Gunnery Sergeant for the security team.

Bailey, you keep pulling feelings out of me that I didn't even know we're there. Sometimes it hurts, but like I've said before, even the pain is better than not feeling anything. Between you and the hormones, I'm really wearing out the tear ducts.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

God Dallas what a huge compliment:)

I've a huge soft spot for those in the military and I try to get the feels just right especially since these feels are so important to the readers like you that have lived it.
I do love writing for this because of that and the way it just plays with the characters. Yeah Brandon was pretty awesome calling Cass when he found out Sam was headed that way.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

go Cass!

they both needed this. Sam may have been a little shakey but it was after the important work was done and she was dealing.
great chapter, short chapter but great.
thanks

They really did, both apart and newlyweds, baby coming...

Both of them hormonal and apart for the first time and of course Brandon seeing this with Sam being there as a good chance plus it won't hurt Sam to take a study break for the weekend.
*Hugs and Howls*

Bailey Summers

Bailey....

Terrific chapter for this most outstanding tale. Your ability to portray the human spirit, compassion & love is very moving - there should have ben a tissue alert at the start of this chapter.

Dallas' comment added so much to the continuing trauma that so many who have served in the armed forces must endure. It makes the quality of your writing more obvious for those of us who have not served.

Thank you, thank you!!

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

Thank You Ruth:)

I did post a tissue alert in the tags. But I really love writing for this story with the guys and the Brandon the love between him and the love the girls have for each other and how he supports them both.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Wonderful

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

D'oh! I missed this! Found it now though. :-)

Brandon is just so... so.... wonderful. *sigh*

Must start a list of reasons to move to Canada... BNL, Kids in the Hall, Paul Gross, Ryan Reynolds and now Brandon. Must be something in the water! More seriously, Brandon is a wonderfully engaging character, who manages to be both tough guy and a very gentle soul at the same time. Now that Cass and Sam are in a good place I'm looking forward to seeing where you take Brandon's story.

And Cass and Sam was a real 'awwwwwwwwww' moment.

Great to see another chapter of this story Bailey. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I'm hoping the there will be a meeting between Brandon and Haley

She could so need someone like him because she is "Softly hurting." I think I might have to do a little Brandon side of things chapter.

Ryan Gosling, Kiefer Sutherland, Keanu Reeves.

Nathan Fillion...:)

There's a whole lot of great stuff to move here for and we'd be happy to have you too honey.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Awesome move by Brandon and

Awesome move by Brandon and Cass, it's something Sam really needs. I wonder if she run into the Lesbian-feminist-facist again on her way hope lol.

Great story, big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p