Little Miss Firecracker

Printer-friendly version
Tired of being put down, Jude decided to make a stand and be who he was...

She entered a 4th of July pageant!

Little
Miss
Firecracker

 
The standalone sequel to the Spangled Leotard.

by Torey

Copyright © 2013 Torey
All Rights Reserved.

 
Image Credit: Title Picture purchased and licensed for publishing from

from 123rf.com (Photo 536211). The model in this image is in no way connected with this story nor supports nor conveys the issues and situations brought up within the story. The model's use is solely used for the representation of looks of the main character of this particular story. ~Sephrena

Divider licensed for use in publishing from Photoshopgraphics.com ~Sephrena.


 
 

Antique-Dividers-4.png

 
 
"Okay Jude, suck it up!" my Momma said as she zipped up my red-white-and-blue leotard.

It was a little tight. I felt like I was going to bust out of it.

"You're going to have to lose some weight," she said. "You're gettin' a little pooch in the belly."

"Gee, thanks, Momma!" I said sarcastically.

I protested that she bought it a little small, but to know avail.

"Jude, you're on stage in five minutes," said Miss Moultrie, my twirling teacher and pageant coordinator of the Little Miss Firecracker Pageant.

Yeah, you heard that right.

The Little Miss Firecracker Pageant, which was part of what my mother calls Linville's "Americana" of the Fourth of July.

Credit Barbara Jean Miller for wanting to put her "little Janegirl" front and center as part of this lovely event during the holiday festivities.

Yup, she thumbed through the rule book.

"There's nothin' in here that says a contestant can't be a boy," she said at a meeting of the pageant committee.

"I don't care if things like that ain't done like this in Tennessee!" she shouted at one gray-haired mother.

The pageant committee backed down after she used words like "sue," "ACLU" and "national media coverage."

Instead, there is a spread on me on on the front page of the Smoky Mountain Gazette today in a pageant dress, in curls and makeup.

"Now, everyone knows Jude is the littlelist drag queen in east Tennessee," my mother's boyfriend, Lloyd, told her as he lay the paper down on the coffee table in our double-wide trailer.

"Don't listen to Lloyd," Momma said as she worked on my makeup in my dressing room. "You're my child! You should never be ashamed of who you are!"

"But Aunt Liza says I'm going to Hell," I said as she finished brushing my hair.

"Don't you mind that snake handlin' bitch," Momma said. "Now get up and let me take a look at ya!"

She admired her work. She proved her friends wrong when she said she could put my hair in curls. My face was caked with makeup and dark red lipstick.

"And it doesn't show," she said of her work between my legs. She used ice to shrink my small "pecker and balls" even smaller and taped it down. She learned her technique from a story about female impersonators about how to "tie the package."

I rolled my eyes when she said I was all set for the swimsuit competition.

She did such a fine job, she vowed to take me to pick out bikinis at Wal-Mart after the pageant.

"No more ugly boy suits for the rest of the summer."

I adjusted my leotard before walking out on stage. I pulled down my leotard a little to make sure my butt cheeks wouldn't show. I wore cowgirl boots and they clopped when I walked on stage.

There were a couple of jeers, and some laughter.

"Look at that little queer," someone shouted.

"Get off the stage, faggot," another one said.

I tried to block it out. Once the music started, I was able to do so.

My baton routine was to Katy Perry's "Firework."

I pranced around on stage, and did a few tricks with my baton, throwing it up high and catching it. And twirled it while I tried to kick my legs high.

To my surprise, the audience loved it.

"She's ... I mean he's really good!" I heard one lady shout when I finished my routine.

I curtsied when my talent routine was done.

Kaylie, one of my friends who was one of the Mountain Darlins with me, gave me a hug when it was over.

I have to admit, I was a bit relieved when it was over.

"You did so good!" Momma shouted. "You made your Momma proud."

"Jude, you did really good," Miss Moultrie said. "Your hard work paid off."

"Thanks," I said.

She was the one who helped me with the routine. Don't know what I would have done without Miss Moultrie. She encouraged me throughout the pageant and told me to ignore "ugly" comments.

"You've been a little trooper," she said when I walked off the stage after doing my little walk in a swimsuit.

She knew about my feelings about being different. She also knew I wasn't entirely comfortable sometimes with my mother's efforts to put me out front and center.

"You know, Miss Moultrie, I do think this is a little fun," I said before I entered my dressing room for the final part of the competition.

My mother helped me into my dress.

"Oh my God, I can't believe how beautiful you look," she said, showing me my reflection in the mirror.

Not to brag, but she was right.

"Go out there with your head held high," she said. "No matter what anyone says, you're my beautiful child, baby girl."

I gave her a strange look.

"What?" she asked.

"That's the first time you called me your baby girl," I said.

"You don't like it?" she asked.

"No, it's fine," I said as I walked back out on stage.

I was a little nervous, afraid I'd hear more jeers.

There were none.

And much to my surprise, I was named third runner-up out of the 16 girls in the competition.

My friend Kaylie won first place.

"There'll be other pageants," Momma said as I came back to my dressing room.

Other pageants?

Well, OK, I'm actually cool with that.
 

Antique-Dividers-4.png

 
 

The End

 

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Terrific!

Andrea Lena's picture

"Go out there with your head held high," she said. "No matter what anyone says, you're my beautiful child, baby girl."

Thanks for this holiday gift!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Love it!!!

Ole Ulfson's picture

My folks were very understanding of my feminine inclinations, but not as much as Barbara Jean. They didn't encourage me to dress: They couldn't stop me though and I was caught on a regular basis. However they seemed to realize it was part of my nature and I wasn't humiliated or punished. No pageants though, but I'm sure they were relieved when I started dating girls when I was only 11.

For those who don't live in the south of the US, I'd point out that Barbara Jean is one name, and that either Barbara or Jean would only be half a name. I lived and worked in the area portrayed in the story for over 30 years and everything rings true.

I wonder if Jude needs an adopted grandpa/grandma (Pawpaw/Nana) to help smooth the water for him.

I love your characters and this story, Torey! I hope you'll do a lot more with it,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

I'm a little familiar with the area

My father's family comes from the hills of Tennessee, and I have relatives similar to some of the characters mentioned.

And thanks to you and Drea for commenting. I know the story is a little short, but I was beginning to wonder with the lack of comments. God, does that mean I'm getting a little vain?

I'm somewhat familiar as well....

Ragtime Rachel's picture

My mother's family comes from the Carolinas and Georgia, and it's nice to see a story that's not only set in the south, but portrays a southern character who is NOT bigoted and intolerant (the child's mother.)

Thank you for writing this--it evoked some pleasant memories. I do wish this story had been continued, however--it seems like the saga is only beginning.

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel

Jude's comfortable with all....

This girlishness treatment so I guess her Momma's justified in promoting it. Torey dear, another cute story as well hon. Loving Hugs Talia